Quote of the day

posted at 10:40 pm on April 29, 2008 by Allahpundit

“We know that you had your son suffer excruciatingly and he died for us and I can’t thank you enough for that gift but so many people who seem so innocent have also suffered so much. Was there any point at which you thought you could perhaps just you know, reach out and just lessen it a little or did you expect us to do that?”

Comments

God allows evil into the world because out of evil God brings greater good.

I have no idea why he saddled us with Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama though.

I agree with Hillary though, some kinds of suffering are a bit harsh…

Like having a pathological liar who opposes basic church doctrine that uses faith in God for the sole purpose of winning an election for the most powerful human office in the world.

Of course, we won’t even know what suffering is unless she wins…

BKennedy on April 29, 2008 at 10:45 PM

Her best line that I can recall.

freevillage on April 29, 2008 at 10:46 PM

The pandering….It’s…..suffocating…me….with…the brown nosing…..Hillary’s nose…..covered in brown crap……STOP THE PANDER!!!!!!!

malan89 on April 29, 2008 at 10:49 PM

These goobers got the message that most of the US is not atheist. Now we are getting a bunch of left-wing God talk. Is this an improvement?
Anyone believe that Barry isn’t a Black Nationalist or Hillary isn’t a lefty pseudo Methodists. Naw. It will work for them, though.

thatcher on April 29, 2008 at 10:52 PM

Everything she says in the article is fine. Too bad they didn’t ask about abortion or homosexuality.

jgapinoy on April 29, 2008 at 10:57 PM

Hmmmm…good for Mrs. Clinton. What I would ask god….

“Why didn’t you make all penises the same size?”

“Why was ‘Friends’ a smash hit?”

“Tofu? Really?”

“Why can’t I serve like Andy Roddick?”

SouthernGent on April 29, 2008 at 10:59 PM

“I have so many questions. I am insatiably curious about every part of the Bible.”

Riiiiiight.

WisCon on April 29, 2008 at 11:02 PM

When I hear Hillary say this type of thing I can just hear her translating it into some subsequent justification for socialism.

Sorry, Hill, but another New Deal from the government is not gonna prevent suffering. Try looking at this verse and have faith that He’s got it under control:

“But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.” (Philippians 4:19)

CP on April 29, 2008 at 11:02 PM

Too bad she understands nothing about salvation and why Christ came to earth to die. God allows evil in the world because man chooses to do evil and reject Him. God never send anyone to Hell, they send themselves by not accepting the free gift of salvation.

flytier on April 29, 2008 at 11:03 PM

“Why was ‘Friends’ a smash hit?”

Matt LeBlanc was harnessing the power of Satan. I didn’t defeat him until the first season of Joey was through. Unfortunately, for all of us, it was too late.

“Why didn’t you make all penises the same size?”

See above.

“Why can’t I serve like Andy Roddick?”

Dude, the guy dated Mandy Moore and now he’s engaged to Brooklyn Decker (reppin’ Matthews NC!!!). He pretty much pwns you at everything, not just tennis.

malan89 on April 29, 2008 at 11:05 PM

If I remember right, isn’t she in that “The Family” DC prayer group thingie?

malan89 on April 29, 2008 at 11:05 PM

God, give me strength to hold back this deluge of vomit.

Claypigeon on April 29, 2008 at 11:07 PM

I love how she questions god as if she was criticizing him and his judgment. Like she deserves an explanation for things she doesn’t understand or agree with. Typical.

Guardian on April 29, 2008 at 11:09 PM

I hate the posts that bring out the wannabe theologians, but I must say that what Mrs Clinton said is dripping with condecension, arrogance and phoniness. And of course, it is a set up for liberal democrat solutions (big government and taxes) as our moral imperative…what God “expects us to do.”

Dirthead on April 29, 2008 at 11:09 PM

I would ask God, after biting myself a dozen times to make sure I wasn’t in some drugged state, “Why would Satan punish those who have forsaken you, and whom had done everything to promote attributes that he finds ideal?” Basically, just ask about the logical absurdity that is the concept of Hell.

muyoso on April 29, 2008 at 11:10 PM

Ha!

“Thanks for life, the capacity for love, beauty, free will and all that crap, but it ain’t exactly Heaven now is it? Just sayin’ Lord, I would have done a better job of it. Automatic health insurance at birth for every human being for one thing. Federally funded abortion on demand for another.”

What a useless twit she is. As if anyone with a meaningful understanding of their faith is gonna buy this posturing.

The Apologist on April 29, 2008 at 11:13 PM

Why God, did you allow the media to become so liberal that they would just let the Democrats say anything and not be called on it?

indythinker on April 29, 2008 at 11:14 PM

That picture looks like the Messiahillary.

km on April 29, 2008 at 11:15 PM

Those seem like legitimate questions to me. Lots of people wonder that. But God is not the only force in the world. God created the world without sin, man introduced sin with his own free will.

Of course the problem is that you must believe in Creation which everyone knows is out of the question. The first 12 books of Genesis are all gobbledygook according to most scientists.

I will say that I believe the Bible cover to cover. . . but that’s just my own understanding of what it means and I wouldn’t force my own understanding on anyone else.

ThackerAgency on April 29, 2008 at 11:17 PM

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?
- Epicurus

MB4 on April 29, 2008 at 11:18 PM

Gross.

BJ* on April 29, 2008 at 11:19 PM

I’d simply ask:

“God, how hard do you laugh when you see people getting worked up over politics?”

MadisonConservative on April 29, 2008 at 11:20 PM

God created the world without sin, man introduced sin with his own free will.

ThackerAgency on April 29, 2008 at 11:17 PM

A man can do as he wills, but not will as he wills.
- Schopenhauer

MB4 on April 29, 2008 at 11:22 PM

“When you stand before God,What might a question be
that you’ll ask him”!

REALITY CHECK, In Hillary Rodham Clinton’s life review,
it ain’t gonna look pretty!

First off,everytime Hillary opens her
mouth,you will hear God say to HilRod
SILENCE!

And after Hill miserably fails her life
review God is going to be sendng her to
the Boiling Pit of Sewage,called H-LL!

And every Liberal who talks Religion looks
like their just going through the motions,
Ummm,are we done yet!

canopfor on April 29, 2008 at 11:25 PM

MadisonConservative on April 29, 2008 at 11:20 PM

God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh.
- Voltaire

MB4 on April 29, 2008 at 11:26 PM

Jeez she’s sick. Very sick. Her arrogance is beyond measure.

fossten on April 29, 2008 at 11:27 PM

The GOP candidate is the most church-and-state-split one in the race!

Historicalelectiomania!

Alex K on April 29, 2008 at 11:28 PM

If God is the creator of everything – the Alpha and Omega, the Beginning and the End, how can man create evil from his own free will? It was there, Man may have chosen it but it was still created by God. And if God is omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent, if He knows our minds, is there truly free will or is everything predetermined and if it is predetermined than what does it matter what anyone believes, those who are destined for Heaven will go no matter what they do and the rest are destined for hell, no matter what they do. and if there is free will, than nothing matters because heaven and hell no longer have the same philosophical constructs.

and once more, if God is omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent, then there is no turning your back on God because he is everywhere, He is everything: he is within and without. There is nothing but God and yet we try to deny half of Him.

Blight on April 29, 2008 at 11:29 PM

Don’t underestimate God Talk. It made Huckabee a contender and he’s a complete fool. He is totally smooth, though. I’ve seen a number of the God Talkers and some of the become Dr. Phil. Rich. Or The Very Reverend Jerry Wright a multi-millionaire.
Beware the cult of personality. Did I mention Barry? Naw. That’s over.

thatcher on April 29, 2008 at 11:30 PM

ThackerAgency on April 29, 2008 at 11:17 PM

Pretty broad brush.

a capella on April 29, 2008 at 11:32 PM

The really sad thing is I do not think BHO is any better, despite what he says/dis-avows.

Neither is McCain.

Not matter what we are screwed in 2008

F15Mech on April 29, 2008 at 11:37 PM

did you expect us to do that?

God’s Answer….

WRONG, YOU LOSE….

NEXT? (idiot)

God why won’t you help us.

God’s Answer….God only helps those who help themselves. For example, You know I love animals, therefore I have endowed each animal (including the human animal) with a unique characteristic. It’s called fight or flight.

As God I can assure you that the ability to fight was given to you animals for a reason.

Putting the concept in simple terms, I want you to know that as your God you have a duty to adapt and overcome.

But God, why can’t we just have you intercede on our behalf and while your at it condemn those who refuse to reward those who will not fight for themselves and insist on sucking on the tit of salvation instead of dealing with the currant day to day realities of man against man.

God…. My dear Obama, you are a young fool with no real life experience. Your pastor is a mean spirited money grubbing prick who is genetically connected to Christian wrong, i.e. the Pat Robertsons of the world.

As your lord I want all of you humans to know that you have been given no greater gift than any of my other creations.

All of my creations except for you humans manage to get the job done. You humans amuse me, and I have to admit that I do have a sick sense of humor.

THIS IS MY FINAL WORD AS YOUR GOD!

GET YOUR SHIT IN A GROUP, YOU PEOPLE DISGUST ME.

GOD

OUT

winemkr on April 29, 2008 at 11:43 PM

Like, Dude, don’t you think You’re kinda harsh? Just sayin’.

exception on April 29, 2008 at 11:48 PM

Blight on April 29, 2008 at 11:29 PM

A man can do as he wants, but not want as he wants. Everybody acts not only under external compulsion but also in accordance with inner necessity.
- Schopenhauer

MB4 on April 29, 2008 at 11:53 PM

I would have thought that Hillary would have asked God what the three 6‘s on her scalp meant.

Just wonderin’…

profitsbeard on April 29, 2008 at 11:56 PM

Blight on April 29, 2008 at 11:29 PM

Predetermination is misunderstood by many people.

If you thrust your hand into a fire for more than a second or so, it is pretty much predetermined, based on prior knowledge, that you will burn your hand.

But, you don’t have to stick your hand in the fire – free will.

OldEnglish on April 30, 2008 at 12:00 AM

But, you don’t have to stick your hand in the fire – free will.

OldEnglish on April 30, 2008 at 12:00 AM

Schopenhauer disagreed. So did Einstein.

MB4 on April 30, 2008 at 12:03 AM

I used to think Hillary was a crappy politician.

I was totally wrong. She is a genius. Its weird complimenting her, but she just deserves it. There is no other politician who could’ve fought back the way she has against Saint Obama.

jimmy the notable on April 30, 2008 at 12:13 AM

MB4 on April 30, 2008 at 12:03 AM

I’ve only glanced at Schopenhaur, as his philosophy seems to portray humans as being rather pathetic, and without the will to change that state. I don’t subscribe.

Einstein, on the other hand, seemed to say that all events in the current universe will happen as predetermined – because they cannot not happen. If I understand him correctly, he means that they do not have to happen, but they will because one thing tends to lead to another.

OldEnglish on April 30, 2008 at 12:14 AM

Wow…so many of you are too desperate to criticize Hillary. I oppose her candidacy as much as anyone, but I find nothing wrong with what she said here.
Again, I wish she had been asked about abortion or homosexuality in light of the Bible.

jgapinoy on April 30, 2008 at 12:14 AM

OldEnglish-

You don’t have to stick you hand in the fire.

free will

If the fire is desire, you are born stuck in it.

(And vice versa.)

Paradox Lust.

Man would rather have the Void for a purpose than be void of purpose. (Nietzsche)

profitsbeard on April 30, 2008 at 12:17 AM

OldEnglish on April 30, 2008 at 12:14 AM

I think you are mostly right.

His belief in causal determinism was incompatible with the concept of human free will. Jewish as well as Christian theologians have generally believed that people are responsible for their actions. They are even free to choose, as happens in the Bible, to disobey God’s commandments, despite the fact that this seems to conflict with a belief that God is all knowing and all powerful.

Einstein, on the other hand, believed–as did Spinoza–that a person’s actions were just as determined as that of a billiard ball, planet or star. “Human beings in their thinking, feeling and acting are not free but are as causally bound as the stars in their motions,” Einstein declared in a statement to a Spinoza Society in 1932.

It was a concept he drew also from his reading of Schopenhauer. “Everybody acts not only under external compulsion but also in accordance with inner necessity,” he wrote in his famous credo. “Schopenhauer’s saying, ‘A man can do as he wills, but not will as he wills,’ has been a real inspiration to me since my youth; it has been a continual consolation in the face of life’s hardships, my own and others’, and an unfailing wellspring of tolerance.”

MB4 on April 30, 2008 at 12:25 AM

Dirthead on April 29, 2008 at 11:09 PM

MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY!!!!!

HawaiiLwyr on April 30, 2008 at 12:37 AM

“I hope that I will have a sense of peace and fulfillment at the end of my life.”

She is a tragic figure. I’ll never vote for her, but I respect her now, more than ever before. Don’t react. I stand by all I’ve spewed against her, and will do so in the future.

profitsbeard and MB4, great quotes.

THIS IS MY FINAL WORD AS YOUR GOD!

GET YOUR SHIT IN A GROUP, YOU PEOPLE DISGUST ME.

GOD

OUT

winemkr on April 29, 2008 at 11:43 PM

Tonight, you winemkr (btw, my grandparents were vintners in Transylvania) entertained me greatly with your comment.

I’ve often thought that if god is benevolent he/she wonders “my experiment must have gone sour”, and if he/she is malevolent, then you said it winemkr

You humans amuse me, and I have to admit that I do have a sick sense of humor.

Entelechy on April 30, 2008 at 12:38 AM

MB4 on April 30, 2008 at 12:25 AM

From the way I understand it, since the behavior of every particle of matter down to subatomic particles is predictable, then, even though it could not be calculated or possibly shown, the destiny of every single atom has been predetermined from the beginning of time. Its a terrifying possibility.
If you truly believe in free will, you have to believe in God, that’s the way I see it.

jimmy the notable on April 30, 2008 at 12:40 AM

But this is not predictable.

exception on April 30, 2008 at 12:51 AM

exception on April 30, 2008 at 12:51 AM

I think it is in the sense that it’s all cause and effect, but I could be wrong. If the essence of free will arose from the random behavior of quarks and gluons, I think we have to give ID a second look.

However, just because we don’t know the exact mechanics of the behavior of subatomic particles down to scientific equations doesn’t mean that scientific equations or at least theories about their behavior do not exist. We still have a lot to discover in that regard.
There is at least no certainty in the statement that anything in this universe behaves in a truly random and cannot be explained through science, I hope you’ll concede that much. We’re just cracking the surface of this kind of science.

If God gave us free will, then he probably did it on a metaphysical level that cannot ever be detected in a scientific sense. By that I mean, God will never be scientifically proven to exist or not exist, because that would defeat the purpose of believing in him.

jimmy the notable on April 30, 2008 at 1:00 AM

‘A man can do as he wills, but not will as he wills,’

MB4 on April 30, 2008 at 12:25 AM

I’ll go with that, where someone tries to play the King Canute scenario. That is, where someone tries to defeat science or logic via will alone. But desire/emotion can be controlled/directed – with some effort, and a bit of luck. However, I agree that when the cards are stacked against one, it may be a losing battle.

jimmy the notable on April 30, 2008 at 12:40 AM

The action of atoms are determined by the natural laws of physics which governs them – from beginning to end. The human mind, on the other hand, is governed by emotions, which seems able to defy all logic.

OldEnglish on April 30, 2008 at 1:00 AM

jimmy the notable on April 30, 2008 at 1:00 AM

I wouldn’t focus on the subatomic particle angle – according to current science, things are really only not random when you go above the atomic level. If I were you, I’d focus more on the research into the neuroscience of free will. There are some quite scary recent discoveries there.

apollyonbob on April 30, 2008 at 1:14 AM

What were you modeling for us?

She wants to ask some god what he’s “modeling” for us?

If there isn’t a Democrat that belongs in a mental hospital…he/she isn’t running for office.

Buddahpundit on April 30, 2008 at 1:16 AM

But this is not predictable.

exception on April 30, 2008 at 12:51 AM

Not by you or me, but for an omnipotent God it should be a piece-of-cake. As easy as you or I would predict which way a car would go if we turned the steering wheel a certain way.

MB4 on April 30, 2008 at 1:27 AM

OldEnglish on April 30, 2008 at 1:00 AM

That’s where Schopenhauer’s “A man can do as he wants, but not want as he wants” and Schopenhauer’s “inner necessity” come in.

MB4 on April 30, 2008 at 1:31 AM

exception-

But this is not predictable

Chaos Theory (quantum strangeness etc.) shows that the only predictable things are at the macro scale.

The micro eludes any exact guesses because there are too many unknowables at that ultra-complex and “irrationally”-behaving scale of interactions.

There are predictable kinds of form (Mandelbrot and Julia set), but not what results from these aperiodic forms, except grossly (ice crystals on windowpanes branch as dendrite nerves in the brain branch as trees branch as lightning branches).

But the planet’s weather shows the inability of any real predictability at the deeper levels.

Too many damned variables.

But, free will is anti-entropic, just as Life is.

So there is that strange hope.

profitsbeard on April 30, 2008 at 1:35 AM

apollyonbob on April 30, 2008 at 1:14 AM

Oh, I’m sure neuroscience and the way the brain works is incredibly complicated and for any human scientist accurately predicting what someone might do 20 years down the line would be an exercise in futility. However, at the most basic level, we all respond to stimuli, and those stimuli must follow the basic physical laws of our universe. If there were an infinitely powerful computer that could somehow monitor all stimuli as well as how each individual brain might respond to those stimuli, and thus become stimuli for other brains, then it is all theoretically predictable, assuming that free will as given to us by a metaphysical God does not exist nor do any influences outside the realm of the physical world. However, if God exists and gave humans the gift of free will, that makes our actions exist on another realm and, as they say, “His will be done.”

jimmy the notable on April 30, 2008 at 1:40 AM

Link above went Chaotic for some reason.

A shorter one works to the site:

You can get to the Mandelbrot and Julia sets from there.

profitsbeard on April 30, 2008 at 1:44 AM

God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh.
- Voltaire

MB4 on April 29, 2008 at 11:26 PM

Not to contradict this brilliant (and true) quote but I humbly would like to add that I think he must have gotten fed-up with our boobery and challenged us to make ourselves laugh. I think Hillary took that challenge and ran with it.

Claypigeon on April 30, 2008 at 2:02 AM

“Why can’t I serve like Andy Roddick?”

SouthernGent on April 29, 2008 at 10:59 PM

I feel you. My version is, “Why does golf have to be so fricking hard, and would it be too much to show me how to get the club face square at impact on a consistent basis?”

Mallard T. Drake on April 30, 2008 at 2:12 AM

What were you teaching us? What were you modeling for us?

If you have to ask, you can’t afford it.

The price of entrance into heaven is a matter of faith.
It is a lesson in life. A test. We learn and retain when things go bad.
We learn by doing. Out of that gift, we move closer to our creator.

Our gift is the lesson. The model is in the learning. The reward is the promise.

Simply put, the difference between us and all other creatures.

A soul. A conscience. A destiny defined by our own choices.

Kini on April 30, 2008 at 2:51 AM

What is god?

Kralizec on April 30, 2008 at 3:16 AM

What is god?

Kralizec on April 30, 2008 at 3:16 AM

dog spelled backwards

Kini on April 30, 2008 at 3:18 AM

What is god?

Kralizec on April 30, 2008 at 3:16 AM

Whatever his creators want him to be.

Holmes on April 30, 2008 at 3:38 AM

I find myself warming to Clinton. She constantly redefines the term ‘shameless’.

She’s appallingly disingenuous and yet she has amazing grit.

Quite something.

Ares on April 30, 2008 at 3:38 AM

“Why didn’t you make all penises the same size?”

True, but WHO gets to be the standard?

leftnomore on April 30, 2008 at 4:03 AM

I would have thought that Hillary would have asked God what the three 6’s on her scalp meant.

Just wonderin’…

profitsbeard on April 29, 2008

Oh my gosh, what other comments need we to leave? This one said it all.

leftnomore on April 30, 2008 at 4:06 AM

True, but WHO gets to be the standard?

leftnomore on April 30, 2008 at 4:03 AM

Lorena Leonor Bobbitt

Kini on April 30, 2008 at 4:15 AM

Kini on April 30, 2008 at 4:15 AM

OUCH!!

OldEnglish on April 30, 2008 at 4:52 AM

The Apologist on April 29, 2008 at 11:13 PM

Hahahaha Good translation.

Especially since God’s made clear that He DOES expect us to lessen one another’s suffering (Matthew 25:31-46, James 2:14-17 etc etc etc etc etc). Yeah she knows her Bible all right. *rolls eyes*

jgapinoy on April 30, 2008 at 12:14 AM

You’re right, asking God why He allows evil is a good question. Just not the arrogant, even condescending way she asked it (“was there any point at which you thought…”—pshah!)

As if WE have any idea how much suffering God has already spared any of us.

inviolet on April 30, 2008 at 6:40 AM

Hillary=Pharisee
Jesus to the Pharisees: Oh ye generation of VIPERS. Oh ye HIPPOCRITES!

mountainmanbob on April 30, 2008 at 7:28 AM

[God rolls eyes]

franksalterego on April 30, 2008 at 7:36 AM

That picture for this thread is amazing. As good as this blog is in terms of writing and the community, the photos provide an equal share of the brilliance. There, I said it.

If I were a prophet, I would be eating locusts and wild honey and crying out from the wilderness at Hillary about the millions and millions of innocents that have suffered and excruciatingly from abortion. The children that lost their lives and were never named or remembered. The parents that realize later what they have done, and the women that have had to deal with mental and physical anguish from their “choice”. Hillary was part of a regime that jailed protesters against abortion and helped promote its unlimited use as birth control. She has never mentioned regret or sorrow for what she has done, and in the process has lessened God’s presence in the universe. She will have to stand before God and answer for that.

Hening on April 30, 2008 at 8:02 AM

MadisonConservative on April 29, 2008 at 11:20 PM

And religion.

Oldnuke on April 30, 2008 at 8:02 AM

Blight on April 29, 2008 at 11:29 PM

Wrong.

What is darkness? Darkness is the absence of light.

What is cold? Cold is the absence of heat.

What is nothing? Nothing is the absence of something.

What is evil? Evil is simply the absence of good.

fossten on April 30, 2008 at 8:20 AM

Entelechy on April 30, 2008 at 12:38 AM

Genesis Chapter 6

6:3 And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.

6:5 And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.

6:6 And it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.

6:7 And the LORD said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them.

6:8 But Noah found grace in the eyes of the LORD.

6:11 The earth also was corrupt before God, and the earth was filled with violence.

6:12 And God looked upon the earth, and, behold, it was corrupt; for all flesh had corrupted his way upon the earth.

6:13 And God said unto Noah, The end of all flesh is come before me; for the earth is filled with violence through them; and, behold, I will destroy them with the earth.

fossten on April 30, 2008 at 8:28 AM

fossten on April 30, 2008 at 8:28 AM

Why didn’t he just wave his hand and make it all better. He is omnipotent. Isn’t he? Why/how would a perfect God create so imperfect a product?

Oldnuke on April 30, 2008 at 8:39 AM

I have no idea why he saddled us with Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama though.

Could it be He’s sending us a message, like He did Nineveh?

abcurtis on April 30, 2008 at 9:41 AM

Oldnuke on April 30, 2008 at 8:39 AM

God’s omnipotence cannot trump His justice. What would you think of a judge who, when faced with sentencing a child rapist, said to the convicted man, “I am wiping your slate clean as though you never did it.” You wouldn’t think him a very just judge, would you? If he’s a good judge, he would punish evil. God’s justice must be met as well, as all human beings have fallen short and disobeyed God’s laws. Therefore, we all must suffer judgment. The price must be paid.

Isaiah 55:6 Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near:

55:7 Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts: and let him return unto the LORD, and he will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon.

55:8 For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD.

55:9 For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.

fossten on April 30, 2008 at 9:43 AM

I hate the posts that bring out the wannabe theologians

Not me. It’s a great chance to discuss different views and witness for Christ.

abcurtis on April 30, 2008 at 9:43 AM

Hillary is talking about the questions she’d ask God… she’d better be more concerned about the questions He might ask her.

abcurtis on April 30, 2008 at 9:45 AM

Oldnuke on April 30, 2008 at 8:39 AM

To give us a chance to chose.

Basically, just ask about the logical absurdity that is the concept of Hell.

muyoso on April 29, 2008 at 11:10 PM

I’m not sure where you got it that Satan was doing the punishing. He will be punished there as well.

MB4 on April 29, 2008 at 11:18 PM

I don’t understand why this is such a difficult concept. In this country, people who scream fascism if we imposed laws on things like adultery even though it might protect someone from being hurt. And yet people routinely question God’s decision to allow humanity the freedom to chose between good and evil.

Without that ability, we’re merely the animals at the top of the food chain.

Is he both able and willing?

Yes, however, like the National Guard after Katrina hit, God needs to be asked and won’t impose on those who want nothing to do with Him.

Esthier on April 30, 2008 at 9:48 AM

MB4 on April 29, 2008 at 11:26 PM

Voltaire was not an atheist. He was a Deist.

He lampooned Sir Isaac Newton for predicting, on the basis of his Bible studies, that mankind would one day travel at speeds reaching 50 miles per hour.

Here is Voltaire’s dedication to Pope Benedict XIV of his play Mahomet: “To the head of the true religion, a writing against the founder of a false and barbarous religion.”

aengus on April 30, 2008 at 10:32 AM

Perhaps the most dominant and recurring theme of the Bible is: Obey god’s word and commandments and you will be blessed, disobey God’s word and commandments and you will be cursed. Jesus clearley pointed out that God is our Father. As a parent, there is a point where all the hopes, dreams, training, and education are what we leave in our children. How they respond as adults on their own determines whether they follow our footsteps or stumble. We can then embrace our children as the prodigal son/daughter returning or the son/daughter in whom we are well pleased. Ultimately they take on the responsibility for their own success/failure but the parent still plays a role in support and celebration as more of a peer/friend/older brother than the strong parental figure in earlier years. The potential for joy/pride in the parent (and even more so for a grandparent) is overwhelming – and even greater than in one’s own success: this phenomenon reflects the ultimate purpose for God’s creation as a parent. (The joy/pride of winning an olympic gold medal is surpassed only when our child wins the gold medal on their own).

Ultimately we chose to love or hate, lie, steal, or tell the truth. That is how we are judged. The Bible (and particularly the Ten Commandments) gives a clear standard of right or wrong. Jesus takes this standard up a notch or two. No wonder liberals are so adamant about removing the Ten Commandments and Jesus from schools, court rooms, and public life.

jerseyman on April 30, 2008 at 11:16 AM

profitsbeard on April 29, 2008 at 11:56 PM

She had them removed with her first face lift,
grew out her bangs and tossed away the headband.

maverick muse on April 30, 2008 at 1:26 PM

aengus on April 30, 2008 at 10:32 AM

That play would be marvelous to produce,
if not on Broadway then at ground zero.

maverick muse on April 30, 2008 at 1:28 PM

Stop the pander-moanium indeed!
The world’s smartest woman can’t hide it, (the pander-moanium), heck, she doesn’t even make sense here!
Mr. Wizard, Mr. Wizard…help!

Christine on April 30, 2008 at 2:22 PM

Is he both able and willing?

Then whence cometh evil?

First, from Lucifer exercising his free will to reject God and put himself in God’s place, then from man exercising his free will to follow Lucifer’s example.

Fatal on April 30, 2008 at 2:39 PM

Oh and:

When you stand before God, what might a question be that you’ll ask Him?

I wouldn’t presume to question God.

Fatal on April 30, 2008 at 2:59 PM

Nietzsche, 1880: God is dead.
God, 2008: Nietzsche is dead.

jgapinoy on April 30, 2008 at 4:39 PM