Press conference: Obama shocked, shocked at Wright’s behavior; Update: Video added; Update: Q&A highlights added

posted at 2:10 pm on April 29, 2008 by Allahpundit

Imagine his surprise at finding that his spiritual mentor of 20 years is a preening, hateful, attention whore. I missed the beginning so I don’t know yet if he did indeed disown the man he could no sooner disown than disown the whole black community. Video is coming; in the meantime, the boss is liveblogging. Sound off below.

Update: Here’s his statement, slightly edited for brevity. I have to go back and see if there’s anything worthy in the Q&A; if there is, I’ll update with more vid. Ace reports that Pope Andrew, shill of shills, has already pronounced St. Barry redeemed, so let the word go forth and the healing recommence. The bottom line: After 20 years of friendship, if Obama didn’t know Wright held these beliefs he’s a moron and if he did know he’s a fraud.

Link: sevenload.com

Update: Can’t remember if it’s in the Q&A or in the clip I posted, but at some point in discussing Trinity Obama mentions how wonderful the new pastor, Otis Moss, is compared to Wright. Here’s a little flashback for you from last month, of Moss equating the media’s criticism of Wright with a lynching. Exit question: Where exactly does that analogy leave Obama now?

Update: Speaking of people Sullivan shills for, remember when TNR broke the news about Ron Paul’s neo-confederate newsletters? The big knock there wasn’t that Paul necessarily held those views himself but that his carelessness in letting them be published under his name called his judgment and competence into question. How is this any different? Unless someone wants to argue that Wright’s militancy is something he came to only recently, then Obama somehow spent 20 years in the pews without ever noticing that his preacher wasn’t particularly fond of America, white people, “Zionism,” etc etc. Exactly how many sermons did he miss?

Update: Geraghty asks the question of the hour: What’s Wright’s move now?

Update: Rich Lowry speculates that Obama’s team must have some awfully bad polling numbers on Wright to warrant this spectacle today. Jon Ham, North Carolina resident and father of Mary Katharine, says he got a call just last night. Last week’s numbers from Survey USA: Obama by nine. Today’s numbers: Obama by five.

Update: I was planning to track down the “white folks’ greed runs a world in need” quote but the Standard beat me to it. Read Obama’s own account of Wright’s “Audacity of Hope” sermon to see for yourself how plausible it is that he didn’t know Wright spoke this particular brand of “truth” to power.

Update: Here are the highlights from the Q&A, in quick-hit, heavily edited form. Wright’s insinuation that Obama only pretends to disagree with him to preserve his electability — which is itself, of course, highly damaging to Obama’s electability — is a predictable sore spot.

Link: sevenload.com

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

THE TONGUE AND QUILL

Never did look at it (as you can probably tell). :-)

baldilocks on April 29, 2008 at 7:45 PM

CK MacLeod on April 29, 2008 at 7:28 PM

Good grief! Did you just Diagram A Sentence? LOL!

RushBaby on April 29, 2008 at 7:46 PM

baldilocks on April 29, 2008 at 7:45 PM

From everything I have read, that was written by you over the last couple of years you don’t need it.

Hell I need to use it more often then I do.

(I am sure this post is a case in point).

F15Mech on April 29, 2008 at 7:53 PM

BTW you can find it in PDF form here

F15Mech on April 29, 2008 at 7:57 PM

As for Chrissy Matthews and the rest, sooner or later all but the craziest will turn on Obama like rejected lovers.

CK MacLeod on April 29, 2008 at 3:43 PM

Some Republicans behaved in that manner when they started really paying attention to the nature of Black Liberation Theology (last month).

baldilocks on April 29, 2008 at 7:57 PM

You said:

An appeal of that type would be difficult, but it would be a lot better short- and long-term than simply assaulting the black community and its friends with the embarrassing caricature of their aspirations represented by Wright.

I said:

How in the world is Wright a caricature of the black community’s aspirations?

You said:

“Wright” is being described as (said to represent) a “caricature of their [the community’s] aspirations.”

Now that we’ve established that Wright is a caricature of the black community’s aspirations, my question still stand: how in the world is Wright a caricature of the black community’s aspirations?

And how in the world can you possibly think, much less know, that the makers of the ad were presenting Wright as a caricature of the black community’s aspirations? Maybe they were just presenting Wright as he actually is, in his own words and actions, as shown by video of his words and actions? An extremist, America-hating, racist conspiracy-theorist. It’s twisted that anyone could assume that Wright is even a caricature of the aspirations of the black community. Or that the black community is some monolithic entity with the same aspirations.

Oh, and Pot? Along with the English lessons, thanks for the civility lessons:

someone with moderately advanced, High School level or higher, reading comprehension skills should have little difficulty parsing and interpreting it

misterpeasea on April 29, 2008 at 7:59 PM

Thank you, sir and for the link. I’m sure there’s always something to be learned. Before, I could never bring myself to read about the nuts and bolts of writing. :::zzzzz::: ‘Just do it’ was my motto. Perhaps old age will help my ability to concentrate.

baldilocks on April 29, 2008 at 8:01 PM

misterpeasea on April 29, 2008 at 7:59 PM

Wright being a caricature–a distortion–of the black community’s aspirations and behaving as he actually is aren’t contradictory; he can be doing both at the same time.

baldilocks on April 29, 2008 at 8:07 PM

Obaaaammmaaa is being hoisted on his own petard.

Lots of blacks will still embrace the fraud because it works for them, and Whitey is still the bogeyman, even when wingnuts like Wright and Sharpton run off at the mouth and betray how stupid they think the rest of the black community really is, that it can’t think any better or higher than these poseurs.

Personally, I wouldn’t associate with such a lying sack of night soil such as Wright. The man is a loon and dangerous to those around him if not himself.

Harry Schell on April 29, 2008 at 8:30 PM

Hello, I’m Barack Obama. I’m addressing you today to clear the air about the situation with my former pastor, Jebediah… no, sorry, Jambalaya… er, wait, I remember now, Jeremiah Wright. Earlier in this campaign, we established how very little I am affected by the beliefs of those around me. It’s well-documented that I was friends with a violent terrorist, but no serious non-racist person would think I’m a violent terrorist, right? Same thing with this Wright fellow. No effect whatsoever. I remain the living avatar of Hope, Change, and Brotherhood, despite having listened to his insane ravings for twenty years. They had no more effect on me than my father’s hardcore Marxist economic theories. I think you and I can agree that I’m a pretty amazing man. Now, earlier I gave a speech where I said that I could no more disown Reverend Wright than I could disown the entire black community. I stand by that statement. However, while I cannot beat the entire black community to a bloody pulp with my bare hands, I can do that to Jeremiah Wright, and I invite you all to tune in for our cage match on pay-per-view… all proceeds will benefit the United Negro College Fund, which desperately needs more funding so it can remove the hideously offensive word “Negro” from its name. I’m confident that, after you watch me work that foul-mouthed, vile, deranged former spiritual mentor of mine over in the steel cage, you’ll have no doubt that I’m the exact opposite of him in every way. In fact, if you really hate his lunatic anti-American guts, I humbly submit that would be a good reason to vote for me, since I am, as mentioned above, the antimatter mirror universe opposite of him. Thank you, and good night. Oh, and by the way, can someone tell me who this “Farrakhan” guy is? Wasn’t he the villain in that one “Star Trek” movie that everybody liked? I just have no idea.

Doctor Zero on April 29, 2008 at 8:36 PM

Rev. Dr. tells us that white people clap on 1 and 3, while black people clap on 2 and 4.

But what about reggae?

It is “backwards” in that the beat is turned around, it is much the same in afrobeat. You would clap on 1 and 3, for the most part…

What an idiot clown that guy is.

benrand on April 29, 2008 at 9:04 PM

You thought you could play with the left and fool all the rubes and it blew up in your face.

No, it was an insult to the American people and to our forebears.

It isn’t all about you, Barack.

PattyJ on April 29, 2008 at 9:17 PM

I’ll pass on patting Obama on the back, he should have said those things before when they first came up. But then Wright wasn’t acting like Obama’s political assassin.

Hog Wild on April 29, 2008 at 9:36 PM

But what about reggae?

What an idiot clown that guy is.

benrand on April 29, 2008 at 9:04 PM

But it’s still that same old back-beat rhythm that really really drives them wild.

James on April 29, 2008 at 9:42 PM

Huey Lewis is more white than Bob Hope.

benrand on April 29, 2008 at 10:07 PM

misterpeasea on April 29, 2008 at 7:59 PM

As for Wright as a caricature of authentic aspirations, I don’t really see why that’s even worth disputing, and it doesn’t really have much to do with what was or wasn’t in the minds of the NC Republicans when they put together that thrashed-to-death ad of theirs.

As I stated earlier: “I do not consider Wright a true or fair representative of the black community’s aspirations. Indeed, that’s my point. However, he has been called a leader; he ran one of the largest black churches in the country; he has been the focus of attention in the news; he postures as a learned observer and commenter on religious, cultural, historical, and political affairs; he’s the pastor to a man who receives 90% of the black vote whose possible loss of the nomination is supposed by many to be likely cause of anguish and even violent revolt among African Americans.”

When we discussed the NC ad earlier, I went into some additional detail, both about what I believe Wright represents and in particular how in my opinion it would take a failure of human sympathy, or vast historical and cultural ignorance, not to recognize what a nails-on-the-chalkboard experience viewing the Wright performance in a political context would be for many African Americans and their advocates. Take the negative feelings that, say, some self-styled real conservatives feel when they see “Juan McVain” put forward as their representative; add four hundred or so years of oppression and derogation; multiply it by blanket news and political coverage; then raise it to the second power when you join it to the “change-hope-unity” Obamessiah being exposed and brought down.

All that said, I’ve never argued – though I’ve been repeatedly accused of having done so – that the Wright Stuff should be politically off-limits, just that anyone serious about the larger interests of the Republican party and of conservatism would be well-advised to handle it more thoughtfully and carefully than the NC Republicans and the vast majority of their conservative defenders did.

Obama and Wright entered into their death embrace without the NC GOP’s help. The main effect of the NC ad, and of the disunity and recriminations on the Republican side that it helped to engender, has in my opinion probably been to make it a little more difficult for Republicans, especially McCain, to receive refugees from the Democrat identity wars, while making it easier for Hillary to triangulate.

Now, if you’re just going to quibble with and maliciously inflate some minor points or unclear statements, I’m going to take my football and go home.

CK MacLeod on April 29, 2008 at 10:19 PM

Someone needs to do a remix of Rev. Wright singing and stuff omg.. it could be an instant classic.

Chakra Hammer on April 29, 2008 at 10:56 PM

Rev. Wright remix with Rev. Wright singing all those different types of music with a nice bass line and good drum machine..

Ohh… viral video

Chakra Hammer on April 29, 2008 at 10:58 PM

The Autoeroticism of of Hype.

Barry blows his political career for a racist crackpot.

Next.

profitsbeard on April 29, 2008 at 11:40 PM

What a performance! When they remake Casablanca (1942), Obama plays Captain Renault.

Dr. Charles G. Waugh on April 30, 2008 at 12:22 AM

Ethnic origins aren’t things to be defended, denigrated or repudiated or sworn allegiance to–my own heritage stems from this continent and two other continents–these things simply are; these facts are existential. Nationality is special: it’s existential but can also be voluntarily retained or released.

I did check dear baldilocks, and I was very impressed. Thank you for the privilege.

Entelechy on April 30, 2008 at 1:02 AM

Too little, too late.
After months of criticism about Jeremiah, from everyone under the sun, Barack Hussein is discovering only yesterday what a whackjob Jeremiah actually is?
I don’t buy it for a second.

Exit question: What does William Ayers have to do or say, in order for Barack Hussein to finally denounce him? Hopefully, not bomb a recruitment center.

ToddonCapeCod on April 30, 2008 at 1:58 AM

I love the way the Daily Kos covered this.

Essentially they’ve said, “Obama did the right thing, good for him, and he’s a great man to throw Wright under the bus because he will scare whitey”.

Come on – like Wright is saying anything he hasn’t said before…

Ares on April 30, 2008 at 3:04 AM

ToddonCapeCod on April 30, 2008 at 1:58 AM

Exit Answer: and pay close attention on this one, kids. Fran Eaton, the editor of blog Illinois Review, uncovered and fully reported, critically, on Trinity UCC and the racist Jeremiah Wright, going back I think almost a year. She ate the Tribune’s and Sun-Times’s lunch on the Wright issue.

Watch now for the irrefutable evidence on Bill Ayers and Berndadine Dohrn that, while these two have been active and high-profile in Chicago leftist politics and left-wing social circles for years, and while Ayers has written his own blog on his past activities and his idiotic views for years, these papers have said nothing, reported nothing, and will get scooped on this story, too.

There will be statements taken off his blog be an enterprising journalist willing to Google his entries for a few years that will further embarrass the Obambi campaign, once someone tells them that this should be embarrassing. They are too stupid to be embarrassed on their own, since they don’t know what normal people can tolerate, politically. Good Lord, Jesse Jackson, Jr. is an advisor.

He has not been vetted in the shadow of the Chicago Tribune, where all the reporters and editors believe the same things that Obama and Ayers and Wright apparently believe.

Jaibones on April 30, 2008 at 7:39 AM

Forget the Presidency. He better be thinking about holding onto his Senate seat.

pecan pie on April 30, 2008 at 8:13 AM

Yes, what a lovely community over there at the Trinity church, full of people who, like Obama, listened to Wright’s racist and paranoid rhetoric for decades, yet didn’t see fit to leave.

They’ve been “friends” or whatever for 20 years. Wright was his mentor, for god’s sake. It doesn’t matter how much Obama denounces Wright.

amkun on April 30, 2008 at 9:11 AM

pecan pie on April 30, 2008 at 8:13 AM

Doubtful. Have there been any serious Republican candidates running in Illinois in a while? Answer: No. Alan Keyes was a joke. Do you think the Dems would actually take a Senate seat away from liberal African American? Not in their life! The news would lose that constituency forevah! Unless the Republicans actually get serious about contesting for that (or Little Dick Durbin’s) seat, he’s set himself up to be the Black Ted Kennedy. All he needs to secure it for good is to drive into Lake Michigan.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on April 30, 2008 at 10:45 AM

This is just tryly pathetic. Puh-thetic. Does he really expect that we’ve totally forgotten his immediate defense of Wright and his asinine remarks, first out the box? Does he expect us to forget that he called this man the one that was responsible for buttressing his faith? Now, all of a sudden, months later, “Reverend” Wright’s wrong, he can’t part company with him, fast enough, and he suddenly can’t stop saying how much he now disagrees with Wright’s statements and Satanic theology. From being someone he defended more than his own family, now, Wright’s just gone to being ‘some pastor I know’. Obama is a lying, two-faced, conniving snake, and I hope the public that sees this and liked him, before, has their stupid little eyes opened by this.

Virus-X on April 30, 2008 at 1:42 PM

Virus-X on April 30, 2008 at 1:42 PM

Change.

James on April 30, 2008 at 2:14 PM

Playing an ad with Wright shouting god damn America in order to associate Obama endorsers with him is obviously a stretch.

The underlying idea of the attack ads is right – that voting for candidate x implies validation of Wright via liberal enablers like Obama

How about we just stop making reachy, 6-degrees of Rev Wright ads and attack Obamas own statements, those are more than enough.

The North Carolina ad isn’t even aimed primarily at Obama. It’s aimed at people who endorsed him. So it’s not even guilt by association. It’s guilt by association with guilt by association.

once you took out the ranting black-racist reverend and the goofy photos of African-American-loving pols, you’d be left with a really lame argument

The ad on its own terms is not an appeal to logic – even less to the better angels of anyone’s nature.

It’s pure 100% guilt by association, and indirect association at that

The point is that as a political or logical argument, the idea that Perdue and Moore should be held responsible for Wright at his worst, by way of their endorsement for their party’s likely standard-bearer and the resultant association with his poor judgment, is laughably abstract and weak.

they chose to make what is in my opinion a dubious argument based on guilt by association once removed, guilt by secondary association

——————–

I think a large number of them rightly see themselves painted in the worst possible light, and see a political party trying to inflame a white racial response to the Democrats and their black frontrunner.

I never called the ad “racist.”

it over-dramatizes its point with sadly familiar visual – inevitably racial – cues

I never called the ad “racist.”

if I’m just a little bit human, maybe I’m thinking, “There they go again.”

I never called the ad “racist.”

Wright’s been doing an excellent job of keeping himself in the news and harming Obama without the Republican Party having to take responsibility for racially inflammatory politics.

I never called the ad “racist.”

glaringly obvious echoes of traditional racist messages going back hundreds of years. Even the appearance of the Republican chairperson who appears at the end of the tape plays into an ugly iconic tradition.

I never called the ad “racist.”

assaulting the black community and its friends with the embarrassing caricature of their aspirations represented by Wright, and at the same time trying to tear away from them their new hero Obama without offering anything in their place.

I never called the ad “racist.”

It helps turn the clock back on years of effort by Republicans to present their alternative positive vision on race issues.

I never called the ad “racist.”

it exploits racially charged words and imagery in a way that is familiar from racist propaganda

I never called the ad “racist.”

It does make conservatives look like racists. It can only reinforce the perception among non-conservatives that the Republican Party really is dominated by racists, boors, and antedeluvian morons.

I never called the ad “racist.”

people who talk about moving beyond race but don’t hesitate to feed racial hatred, who produce political ads that anyone who really was a racist could approve of wholeheartedly.

I never called the ad “racist.” Neither did the NEW YORK TIMES, for that matter.

NY Times: “Race-baiting….a clear bid to stir bigotry in a Southern state.”

misterpeasea on May 1, 2008 at 9:27 PM

Too many people think that the role of the presidential candidate is to

stick it to the people they don’t like and bump chests with the people

they do like.

I request that you conduct yourself civilly

anyone who thinks that, given NC’s history, that ad doesn’t get

interpreted as race-baiting of the worst kind is either lying or too

dense to be taken seriously.

I request that you conduct yourself civilly

That’s the trap that too many self-style “real conservatives” want to

push McCain into.

I request that you conduct yourself civilly

For those of you born yesterday

And some of you wonder why blacks vote 90% Democrat

I request that you conduct yourself civilly

Good job totally missing the point.

I request that you conduct yourself civilly

Yes, totally persuasive to yourselves and everyone else predisposed to

agree with you.

I request that you conduct yourself civilly

Maybe God knows what substitute for comprehension led you to justify

that assertion.

I request that you conduct yourself civilly

My guess is that’s how you generally move from one “thought” to another.

I request that you conduct yourself civilly

Like your allies here, you seem determined to see your usual enemies

wherever someone disagrees with you.

I request that you conduct yourself civilly

You seem incapable of processing anything alien to your precepts and

prejudices.

I request that you conduct yourself civilly

In your case, all you’ve managed to do is echo them, which would make

you guilty of being a fool by association

I request that you conduct yourself civilly

But go ahead – stay dazzled by the spectacle of Wright, and pretend that

the ad would make some useful contribution to conservatism ca. 2008, if

only that “liberal” McCain wasn’t standing (or trying to stand) in the

way.

I request that you conduct yourself civilly

You’ve already amply demonstrated to me your inability to understand

even the simplest logical distinctions, alongside an insistence on

cramming my posts into your pre-conceived categories

I request that you conduct yourself civilly

As anyone with High School-level reading comprehension and no chip on

his shoulder should understand

I request that you conduct yourself civilly

ignore my posts or try to think them through before you pounce on them.

someone with moderately advanced, High School level or higher, reading

comprehension skills

I request that you conduct yourself civilly

I would further maintain that someone without a chip on his shoulder

I request that you conduct yourself civilly

If you want additional English lessons, you’ll have to pay me for them.

misterpeasea on May 2, 2008 at 1:24 AM