Matthews: Today’s presser sort of makes Obama the anti-Wright, doesn’t it?

posted at 7:55 pm on April 29, 2008 by Allahpundit

By special request of the Hammer, who thought this a bridge too dumb even for him. His point here isn’t terribly bad in theory: If you think Wright’s planning to come back at Obama with both barrels, attacking him personally while dropping “wisdom” about the twelve Zionists who rule the world cooking up ebola in their lab or whatever, then the Messiah ends up Wright’s victim/nemesis with all attendant sympathy privileges thereto. I’m skeptical that he’ll get too nasty, though, for reasons both personal and political. Doubtless he retains some affection for the guy and doubtless his own base of support overlaps considerably with Obama’s. We’ll see some pushback but nothing toxic. Beyond that, does Matthews really think Obama’s looking forward to a media war with Wright in the middle of the campaign? Even as the “good guy,” every new bout forces him to revisit the subject. If anything, the point of the presser was to rule this subject out of bounds for the press in the future. Quote: “I want to be very clear that moving forward, Reverend Wright does not speak for me.”

Then again, if there’s one thing today proved, it’s this: You can attack America or the military all you want (literally, in Bill Ayers’s case!), but if you attack Barack Obama’s electability, look out, pal.

Comments

Chrissie’s existence kinda makes Lesbians masculine, doesn’t it?

dmann on April 29, 2008 at 8:04 PM

Jeremiah Wright does not want a black man to be POTUS. It will ruin his whole reason for living.

EJDolbow on April 29, 2008 at 8:06 PM

Lee: Today’s comments sort of make Matthews look like a clueless hack with his head hopelessly crammed up his @55, don’t they?

Lee on April 29, 2008 at 8:07 PM

Poor Chrissy. He looks so…discouraged…at the beginning of this.
Fight back, Barack! May the force tingle be with you.

eeyore on April 29, 2008 at 8:07 PM

OT again regarding O’Reilly, Mr.Bill lecturing Rove on Obama’s intentions…”No Mr. Rove, your wrong” …time to puke!

dmann on April 29, 2008 at 8:09 PM

Just the sight of Andrea Mitchell anymore makes me want to run screaming into the night. She is the poster gal for the worst kind of agenda journalism. How her husband Alan Greenspan tucks into the rack with her every night is a mystery.

Mike D. on April 29, 2008 at 8:10 PM

Today’s “presser” kind of makes old Obama a certified phony and a panderer . . . who’s the net relative or old friend that gets kicked to the curb?

rplat on April 29, 2008 at 8:14 PM

Never underestimate the dumbness of the likes of Matthews.

Obama could set a basket full of kittens on fire and Matthews would swoon over about it showing Obama being able to make hard choices as commander in chief.

Hollowpoint on April 29, 2008 at 8:14 PM

We’ll soon be seeing people fainting again at Obama events. Rev. Wright has done his job…time to move along. I trust the Obama’s less than I trust the Clintons.

SouthernGent on April 29, 2008 at 8:19 PM

Mike D. on April 29, 2008 at 8:10 PM

The opposite is also true. /skipping dinner

baldilocks on April 29, 2008 at 8:20 PM

It was good to see Softball get his thrill back today.

chief on April 29, 2008 at 8:22 PM

andrea mitchell’s yucky.

Before I get labeled sexist, that’s just in reference to her journalistic abilities.

It’s not like i called her absolutely disgusting and hideous to look at. That would have been sexist.

mattshu on April 29, 2008 at 8:22 PM

Is this from his left side. or right side of the brain? So Black brains are different from white brins? How about Brown brains? Just where do they fit in?

DfDeportation on April 29, 2008 at 8:23 PM

Brilliant, Senator Tingle.

Pasalubong on April 29, 2008 at 8:24 PM

I’m not buying Obama’s speech today. To use words that are popular with black folk. I think he is trying to hoodwink or bamboozle us.
This whole week smells like a setup to me.

Hummer53 on April 29, 2008 at 8:26 PM

Just a note of what we have been watching the last few days.
For twenty plus years Obama and this man had an intimate relationship. That is now all over, in a boom. Its kinda surreal to watch it play out on national TV. I almost feel sorry for Barack.

knat on April 29, 2008 at 8:27 PM

knat on April 29, 2008 at 8:27 PM

Not me- he made his bed, he can lay (or is that lie) in it.

If anything this makes me only very slightly feel sorry for Hillary. I can just see her behind the scenes every time a new poll is released- “I’m getting beat by this guy? What the hell?”

Hollowpoint on April 29, 2008 at 8:36 PM

Just a note of what we have been watching the last few days.

knat on April 29, 2008 at 8:27 PM

I assure you that Rev. Wright was used as a means to an end over the past few days. He and Obama are smoking a phatty together right now.

SouthernGent on April 29, 2008 at 8:39 PM

I don’t know about the “anti-Wright,” but Obama scored big with his speech. He made the most of his second chance at ducking the Wright scandal, and he gets high marks for his dismount. How often do you hear the complaint that black politicians treat racially-charged speech from blacks and whites with a double-standard? You won’t be hearing the complaint quite as much, now, and that translates into votes for Obama.

just a thought experiment – imagine you’re writing an attack ad for the RNC on the Wright issue, what does your script look like? After Obama’s unequivocal rejection, can you make a stronger case than he should’ve spoken up sooner?

Overall Wright hurt Obama, but the damage is done; and it’s in danger of being undone, or even backfiring on McCain if Republicans aren’t careful about how they use the issue.

RightOFLeft on April 29, 2008 at 8:41 PM

rplat on April 29, 2008 at 8:14 PM

I found it extremely odd that some random lady asked him aobut Wright and then he was like “Oh now that you’ve brought it up I have a press conference about this as soon as I’m finished duping you!” PLEASE!

SouthernGent on April 29, 2008 at 8:50 PM

RightOFLeft on April 29, 2008 at 8:41 PM

You mean LeftofLeft.
You’re either a brilliant satirist or a drooling dishonest idiot. Quite a range…

Obama is just the Peter Principle at work; he just hasn’t found his true equilibrium level of crappy mediocrity yet.

TexasJew on April 29, 2008 at 8:59 PM

EJDolbow on April 29, 2008 at 8:06 PM

I told my sister the exact same thing today.
If a black becomes POTUS, then how can the race hustlers still make a buck?

ArmyAunt on April 29, 2008 at 9:24 PM

I can’t figure out who dances on my last nerve more often… Chrissy or Olberdouche.

Claypigeon on April 29, 2008 at 9:32 PM

When I watch Obama, I want to believe him. I trust him. But intellectually, I absolutley know he’s lying through his teeth when he says he didn’t hear Wright’s more outlandish speeches. As Chris Mathews said today, you cannot tell me that in the day’s and weeks after Wright made his God D America remarks that people in that church weren’t talking about it non stop. Barack had to know Wright was an anti-American bigot. That makes Obama the most dangerous man in America to me. Someone who can lie so convincingly and with such candor is just terrifying.

DrW on April 29, 2008 at 9:49 PM

Redlasso sucks more than Hoover! and yes I updated to the latest and greatest of Flash!

lsutiger on April 29, 2008 at 10:01 PM

Barf-O-meter just pegged. Crissy is such a dork.

Texyank on April 29, 2008 at 10:02 PM

I told my sister the exact same thing today.
If a black becomes POTUS, then how can the race hustlers still make a buck?

ArmyAunt on April 29, 2008 at 9:24 PM

Well, I guess they could always claim that Obama’s white half was oppressing them.

If Obama was a Republican, you can bet that the same race hustlers would be using every manner of “Uncle Tom / Oreo” slur they could dream up.

Hollowpoint on April 29, 2008 at 10:07 PM

andrea mitchell’s yucky.

Thanks!

I was going to call her absolutely disgusting and hideous to look at.

>whew

drjohn on April 29, 2008 at 10:57 PM

He’s not as tough or as smart as the lesbians I know. They don’t lisp and slobber, either. Does he look all pink, too, like he’s about to start crying, or maybe have a heart attack?

Jaibones on April 29, 2008 at 11:16 PM

Don’t you all think that Wright has every right to be angry at Obama? It seems like Obama and Wright had a close relationship for decades and Obama was with Wright for the whole package (despite what Obama says now). Wright sincerely thought that Obama was his friend and believed in him. No reason for him not to.

Then out from nowhere Obama basically tosses his friend under the bus, as if he’s been jerking Wright’s (and the congregations) chain for the last 20 years just to get the benefits of the street cred he needed from the black community.

How are so many of you so sure that Obama does NOT believe in black liberation theology and isn’t a radical leftist/Marxist borderline racist and such. It seems like some basically want to dismiss Obama’s associations and actions and are simply attempting to read his mind now.

Why is it so difficult to believe that Obama has a “radical” core belief system and possibly has a hidden agenda only to be exposed over time as POTUS? His conduct and his associations (including his wife) only point to this conclusion.

nottakingsides on April 30, 2008 at 12:12 AM

Obama’s going to need this instead of a regular bus if he throws any more people under it.

Matthews may be next!

profitsbeard on April 30, 2008 at 12:32 AM

Chris looks confused..

Maybe his trill is being treated for some kind dysfunction.

Chakra Hammer on April 30, 2008 at 2:34 AM

Wait a second Obama divorced Rev. Wright..(I never knew that they had something going on)

Also this is even sicker considering that Rev. Wright is Obama’s Crazy Uncle.. :)

How could Obama marry his uncle in the first place? ish..

See this is what happens when liberals get power. >:D

Chakra Hammer on April 30, 2008 at 2:39 AM

Matthews called someone narcissistic lol.

MarkJudge on April 30, 2008 at 8:00 AM

Dizzy from all the spin I’ve just heard.

CliffHanger on April 30, 2008 at 11:04 AM