Video: New GOP ad warranting McCain’s knee-jerk criticism debuts; Update: Hillary rips GOP for “politicizing” Wright

posted at 2:21 pm on April 28, 2008 by Allahpundit

I wonder, will Maverick watch this one before he does the obligatory reject-and-denounce two-step or will another plot summary from an aide suffice? Chop chop: The Deciders are already insisting that it’s time to MoveOn and he wouldn’t want to disappoint his base.

This is actually a weak ad, and not just because of the hacky music and sinister B&W tinting. Childers said nothing about Wright in March, we’re told, but, er, he wasn’t endorsed by Obama until April. Was he supposed to preemptively denounce Wright on the odd chance that Obama might endorse him in the future? Why is he responsible for denouncing someone else’s close associates, anyway? The GOP needs to be careful with overusing the Wright thing, for two reasons: One, the more you hear the killer soundbites, the more the shock value is dissipated and the effect lost, and two, drawing out the taint-by-association logic to ever more absurd degrees only gives Obama an opening to ridicule the whole thing as contrived and tortured. He’s suspect because he tolerated Wright for 20 years, whether or not he actually agrees with him; Childers is now supposedly suspect because he tolerates the guy who tolerated Wright for 20 years. When do we see an attack ad against someone for tolerating Childers, who tolerated the tolerator? Reserve the Wright attacks for Obama himself, please.

Update: Please do recall that it was Her Majesty who declared Wright a legitimate political issue at the ABC debate, and who saw fit to remind America that Hamas had been known to make a cameo in the church bulletin.

I realize this is her semi-obligatory way of earning a little much-needed “good Democrat” cred with the left, but good lord, Hillary. Show some dim self-awareness of your own hypocrisy when you pander this shamelessly.

“I have said that that that was a personal decision of his I answered one question about it that made it clear I would not have stayed in that church under those circumstances,” Clinton told reporters in Graham, NC. “But, I regret the efforts by the Republicans to politicize this matter and I believe that if Senator McCain were serious he would do more than just send a letter he is the putative nominee I think he could very clearly tell the North Carolina party tell the Mississippi party that he would not tolerate those kinds of advertisements and I’m waiting to see if he does that.”

Comments

I think it’s a fine ad, if you like that sort of thing. No lies, just mud.

cannonball on April 28, 2008 at 2:23 PM

Think the word Travis Childress was said about a dozen times…who was this ad for?

right2bright on April 28, 2008 at 2:26 PM

That ad was almost like a parody of attack ads.

SpencerFan on April 28, 2008 at 2:27 PM

TRAVIS CHIDERS BEATS PUPPIES WITH A NAIL-STUDDED BASEBALL BAT AND THEN EATS THEM RAW!!!!!!!!!

TRAVIS CHILDERS DRINKS BLOOD!!!!!

TRAVIS CHILDERS HATES CHRISTMAS!!!!

TRAVIS CHLDERS IS…………………..EVIL!!!!!!!

You know, sooner or later, people are going to just get plain sick and tired of idiotic negative campaign ads like this hoo-haa here and just get turned off to any candidate stupid enough to run them.

pilamaye on April 28, 2008 at 2:29 PM

The more you hear the Rev. screaming “God damn America” the less the shock value? Not sure about that one.

And I’m not sure about the absurdity either. Isn’t it good strategy to pressure the guy to address Bambi’s minister?

Though I agree the association isn’t as strong as when the politician endorses Bambi, as with the NC GOP ad.

misterpeasea on April 28, 2008 at 2:29 PM

The GOP needs to be careful with overusing the Wright thing

And thirdly, because it really does smack of an oblique racial appeal at this point. Especially in the South.

Enrique on April 28, 2008 at 2:31 PM

Didn’t McCain sort of greenlight these ads now that they’re part of a “legitimate issue”?

Vizzini on April 28, 2008 at 2:33 PM

Dumb. Next.

SoulGlo on April 28, 2008 at 2:39 PM

THIS AD IS NOTHING.

I heard that Childer’s half brother’s twice removed cousin went to a 4th of July party a few years ago and was heard saying “this party sucks.”

Now what kind of real American would be associated with someone who’d say that about such an important celebration as the 4th of July? Does the man have no country, no God? Think about it…

bayam on April 28, 2008 at 2:40 PM

Enrique on April 28, 2008 at 2:31 PM

Oh my, another South Bigot.

faraway on April 28, 2008 at 2:45 PM

Is the GOP this intellectually bankrupt? Wright is a huge deal but the media and the blogs will put enough spotlight on it. With so many free media out there, it just looks petty to actually pay to attack on anything that isn’t all that substitutive.

Hey GOP, learn from Team Obama. Put your positive messages which articulate your vision on TV, attack everywhere else(radio, mailings, social media, etc)

Oh, and learn the art of forcing the audience to make the final inferences. It’s the difference between throwing mud on your opponent(where they may sympathize with him) and putting your opponent in a dunking booth full of mud.

ninjapirate on April 28, 2008 at 2:46 PM

I would say blogs and cable TV reach a very small percentage of voters.

faraway on April 28, 2008 at 2:48 PM

Hey, the cranky old traitor needs to get his name in the news somehow. After all, it isn’t exactly like McCain is doing anything newsworthy these days. Guess he’s resting up for the day when he can ignore the GOP and just join with the “rats” to push through his failed liberal ideas.

Exit question: What the hell is John McCain doing these days? His trip down memory lane was a stupendous yawner but beyond that the bastard seems to have dropped off the scope. It’s clear that he intends to nominate another far-left liberal Republican to be his running mate which will endear him to the junta of thugs that engineered the primaries to be a farce. But McCain had better be careful because all the oxygen and airtime is being sucked up by others while he naps away. This is the time McCain and all the bullies that shouted down the real Republican candidates should be re-building the bridges with the base they torched in their zeal to ensure that we got stuck with John effing McCain instead of honest decent human being.

highhopes on April 28, 2008 at 2:50 PM

I’m thinking the stink around Obama is getting so strong that Hils may actually win the nomination.

petefrt on April 28, 2008 at 2:56 PM

She still has not figured out the internet thing. Makes for a nice compare and contrast YouTube offering.

a capella on April 28, 2008 at 3:02 PM

One danger for McCain with this ad is that if Childers wins on the 13th despite his links to Obama and this ad, it’ll possibly dampen the media’s coverage of the Wright controversy.

Typhonsentra on April 28, 2008 at 3:07 PM

Hillary is a hypocrite, but the mismatch between Team McCain and the GOP doesn’t look good. It’s not like Team Obama can capitalize on Hillary’s hypocrisy.

ninjapirate on April 28, 2008 at 3:07 PM

It’s true, you know.

Aristotle on April 28, 2008 at 3:11 PM

Hillary’s argument all along has been – “I don’t think this is really an issue, but you know the Republicans will make it a big deal.” She keeps coming off as if she doesn’t gleefully raise Wright as much as she can.

Be careful folks. We want Obama in the general – not Hillary for crying out loud!

pecan pie on April 28, 2008 at 3:18 PM

Hillary, the reality is that Sen. Obama has surpassed you, and your husband, at shameless triangulation and pandering. So, just find another way. The conservatives are already begrudgingly beginning to respect you for your grit. Don’t squander such fortunes.

No one is politicizing race more than Wright, and with him Obama. Folks, I’m beginning to fear what the year will bring. I believe it will transcend politics, and just speaking/yelling. The media will be enablers, as they like acation, good, especially bad, even more than winning.

Entelechy on April 28, 2008 at 3:22 PM

The media like “action” more than winning, yes, really.

Entelechy on April 28, 2008 at 3:24 PM

Is the GOP this intellectually bankrupt?

It is. That’s how we ended up with John McCain instead of a real Republican. Real Republicans show vision and attract people to their ideas. John McCain and his apologists have a strategy of “vote McCain because he’s better than the other options.” That isn’t leadership or vision by any stretch of the imagination. Nevertheless, even the McCain aplogists have yet to make the case that cranky old bastard has the vision that is right for America.

highhopes on April 28, 2008 at 3:27 PM

Update: Hillary rips GOP for “politicizing” Wright

If there is anything that gets Hillary riled up it is folks politicizing things.

MB4 on April 28, 2008 at 3:28 PM

It all leads back to Kevin Bacon anyway.

SouthernDem on April 28, 2008 at 3:37 PM

I found the ad disgusting. Childers is not Obama. The Republican candidate should at the very least explain why Childers and not Obama isn’t conservative rather than this moronic guilt by association that can only appeal to individuals of low intelligence.

Perhaps, this sort of ad wins the occasional close election, but the long-run effect of this sort of ad is deeply corrosive. The young leftists who we hope to see the conservative light see this sort of ad. Their belief in the stupidity of Republicans is confirmed. They stop listening to the ideas of Republicans and thus nothing really occurs to challenge their leftist world-views. We lose more elections in the long run by alienating the smarter voters.

thuja on April 28, 2008 at 3:37 PM

Bingo. Therein lies the real problem with the NC ad, as well. Just because shrill politicians denounce a stupid ad as racist, that doesn’t make the stupid ad any less stupid.

Xrlq on April 28, 2008 at 4:01 PM

Oh my, another South Bigot.

faraway on April 28, 2008 at 2:45 PM

My grandmother’s family is from South Carolina, and in fact there’s a small city named after them (Salley).

So for clarification, I’m a self-hating South Bigot. :)

Enrique on April 28, 2008 at 4:11 PM

This ad is better than the last in that I know that it is an attack ad against Travis Childers and I didn’t need to re-read your synopsis to remind me. It gets the point across.

Pam on April 28, 2008 at 4:23 PM

Real Republicans show vision and attract people to their ideas. highhopes on April 28, 2008 at 3:27 PM

Just who are the real Republicans and just when do they plan to come out and share their ideas?

Pam on April 28, 2008 at 4:28 PM

The Clinton thing is just another reason why McCain should have kept his comments on the NC GOP ad to himself. Clinton probably likes the ad, but because of this issue, Clinton can both endear herself to her base and show this as another instance in which McCain is not a leader.

‘I would not have continued going to the church’ is a clear indication that Obama’s judgment is poor (the premise of the ad). And this:

She understands that if McCain buts in again like he did before, his Republican base would completely turn against him – as I did. So she is hoping that he alienates the republicans, while she panders to her base and questions McCain’s leadership all because the ‘brilliant and principled’ McCain decided to throw his ego into the ring when he wasn’t even involved in the fight. It must be one of the dumbest political moves I’ve ever seen from McCain. Even dumber than ‘Macaca’. . . and nobody recognizes it more than Hillary so she’s baiting him to keep digging.

Hillary’s comments have nothing to do with Wright or the ad or how she feels about it politically. McCain gave her a softball. The only thing he could have done more helpful for her is to endorse Hillary for President.

ThackerAgency on April 28, 2008 at 4:30 PM

By the way McCain, I like Hillary’s rhetoric that ‘she’ll fight for me’. From McCain’s actions, I believe that he’ll fight me. I certainly don’t believe that McCain will ‘fight for me’. . . I actually believe Hillary would.

ThackerAgency on April 28, 2008 at 4:32 PM

They stop listening to the ideas of Republicans and thus nothing really occurs to challenge their leftist world-views…….
thuja on April 28, 2008 at 3:37 PM

Yeah!

Now if only the Republicans WERE able to talk about substantive domestic issues with clarity, rather than sounding pretty much just like the democrats.

But since they no longer have more than a couple of people on the national scene that have any conservative core values, about all they can do to differentiate themselves is to point out that the Democrats suck even more than they do.

LegendHasIt on April 28, 2008 at 4:45 PM

When you see wrong and say nothing you get liberalism shoved down your throat.
The time has come to stand up to liberalism.
It’s time to end it.

Mike Mose on April 28, 2008 at 7:00 PM

Wright is bigger news than Obama. Hillary might like it this way.

Entelechy on April 28, 2008 at 7:01 PM

I love the ad and should be hearing more of it. Hillary probably pretends she does not like it but truth is she is ecstatic.

mariloubaker on April 28, 2008 at 7:20 PM

By the way McCain, I like Hillary’s rhetoric that ’she’ll fight for me’. From McCain’s actions, I believe that he’ll fight me. I certainly don’t believe that McCain will ‘fight for me’. . . I actually believe Hillary would.

ThackerAgency on April 28, 2008 at 4:32 PM

seek help quickly, Operation Chaos is only pretending to help Hilpatine

she will fight to raise your taxes, count on it

windansea on April 28, 2008 at 7:22 PM

highhopes on April 28, 2008 at 2:50 PM

bitter bitter bitter, cry me a damn river, I got stuck with Bush twice, I didnt cry, I did my job and voted for the good of the country.

Geez.

Squid Shark on April 28, 2008 at 7:23 PM

Let’s play “Six Degrees of Jeremiah Wright”. Makes for great ads.

malan89 on April 28, 2008 at 9:13 PM

malan89 on April 28, 2008 at 9:13 PM

Ive been saying that for a week.

Squid Shark on April 28, 2008 at 9:15 PM

Wright, overused? Do you know how long it takes to get a story to penetrate into bitter, God-clinging, conservative homes? They don’t have time to hear about all of this, they’re out in their sheds cleaning their guns, remember?

leftnomore on April 29, 2008 at 1:43 AM

It must be one of the dumbest political moves I’ve ever seen from McCain.

How can I get my $100 back from McCain08? I’d like to send it to the NCGOP instead. He has tweaked my nose for the last time.

leftnomore on April 29, 2008 at 1:48 AM

I hope McCain has the presence of mind to note that legally he cannot tell the 527s what to do. If he did then they lose their independence and suddenly there is a HUGE campaign financing scandal.

{^_^}