Video: Honoring the fallen, brought to you by Home Depot

posted at 8:29 pm on April 28, 2008 by Allahpundit

How much blacker could this humor be? The answer is none. None more black.

Actually, I’m not sure what the target here is. The commercialization of news, right — except that television news has always been commercial and used to be a lot more heavy-handed about it. Mike Wallace inserting a cigarette pitch into a segment on Vietnam casualties? Not terribly far-fetched. Scarborough hawking aftershave during a recitation of the week’s Iraq dead on “Morning Joe”? I’m not seeing it.

Home Depot Honors Fallen Soldiers With Great Prices On Tools

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Ok, here goes in bullet-point form:

1. Onion attempts to make a funny of big news ad placement

2. Onion uses products from a well-known retail supplier to illustrate the funny.

3. Onion uses the death of US serviceman as a rider to its schtick.

4. Onion is not funny, and the fact that they would use such a sensitive subject only serves to illustrate their callous disregard for the sacrifices our men and women in uniform give on a daily basis.

5. Home Depot should disavow itself from the inappropriate, and misappropriated, use of its trademark and marketing materials that were intended to make idiots who think they are more clever than the rest of the population laugh.

James OK on April 28, 2008 at 10:54 PM

P.C. Nazi much? Everybody’th jutht tho thenthitive. How DARE they…

Please, oh please please, tell me you sent a comment to Home Depot investor relations…I wish I could be a fly on the wall when they erupt into belly laughs over your angry comment!

fossten on April 29, 2008 at 8:25 AM

Wow… I can’t believe I didn’t see the mushroom cloud from my window…

Look people… The Onion was targeting what “news shows” show every day. You don’t think CNN or every other lib station hasn’t been using soldier deaths to prop up their news? The Onion pointed this out with an exaggerated parody.

Personally, I think James OK fell for it and doesn’t want to admit that he did, so he’s continuing on the attack so he won’t lose face (in his eyes).

The Onion is NOT a source for news. It’s a comedy site! I don’t know many news sources that can get an interview from Hell!

dominigan on April 29, 2008 at 8:53 AM

Possibility? Look at those idiots that put pictures of fallen soldiers on their “Impeach Bush” t-shirts. It’s already happening, and it’s disgusting.

malan89 on April 28, 2008 at 11:14 PM

That has nothing to do with this.
THIS is about crass commercialization, not just typical lefties doing typical lefty things on the street.

EJDolbow on April 29, 2008 at 8:58 AM

So, the Onion is mocking the MSM for commercializing dead soldiers by… exploiting dead soldiers to make a joke? Sure.

spmat on April 29, 2008 at 8:59 AM

This is just disgusting. I know they go for funny but it is just sick.

SilntThnkr on April 29, 2008 at 9:25 AM

So, this piece: Not funny, very uncomfortable to watch. But I think that’s what they were going for.

Tuning Spork on April 28, 2008 at 8:59 PM

I’d have to agree. Like AP said, it makes the commercialization that much more absurd.

I didn’t laugh at it and didn’t really find it funny, but I get the point.

And I really hope no one’s calling Home Depot over this. We really don’t need to be seen as reactionary soldier-worshipers who can’t even take obvious satire.

Esthier on April 29, 2008 at 10:10 AM

Get off the high horse. If you’ve seen any of the skits done with these two interviewers, you’ll know that they are known to be oblivious. They didn’t take a real soldier and mock his death. They took two oblivious characters and mocked their detachment from reality.

Mocking or using a real soldiers death is disgusting. They didn’t do that. They took the worst situation possible and mocked their characters/shows inability to relate with the (fictional) victim.

Rogue Traveler on April 29, 2008 at 10:18 AM

Rogue Traveler on April 29, 2008 at 10:18 AM

Sorry dude but your “lighten up” attitude doesn’t wash with this topic. That it wasn’t a “real” soldier is immaterial.

highhopes on April 29, 2008 at 10:27 AM

While this is one of the most sickningly crass things I have ever seen, it does point out the way the news media capitalizes on peoples misery.

The ONN is dead on.

TheSitRep on April 29, 2008 at 10:30 AM

Still doesn’t change the fact that the Onion is using dead soldiers to make a joke, stir up controversy and increase its viewership, thus making its own advertisement more valuable. Not exactly noble. Or funny.

Notice they aren’t using the genocide in Darfur or AIDS victims to make it work. Dead soldiers are safe fodder for that extra kick to a punchline, you see.

spmat on April 29, 2008 at 10:32 AM

Right on “dude”.

Pray for a grasp on reality and fiction before you cry yourself to sleep tonight over a skit.

I proudly served and spend a great deal of my time with my Veterans groups. There is a huge difference between the real death of a soldier and satire.

Rogue Traveler on April 29, 2008 at 10:57 AM

spmat on April 29, 2008

They’ve done Darfur.

Rogue Traveler on April 29, 2008 at 10:59 AM

Rogue Traveler on April 29, 2008 at 10:59 AM

That one was a little better but still messed up.

“loud music to drown out the sound of gunfire.”

“And the sound of crying from starvation.”

Esthier on April 29, 2008 at 11:07 AM

Rogue Traveler on April 29, 2008 at 10:57 AM

You are one sick individual. Satire that crosses the line shouldn’t be condoned. If you really are a vet (I seriously doubt it) you’d know better. And by the way, hanging out at the VFW bar drinking doesn’t count as “spending a great deal of time with veteran’s groups.”

highhopes on April 29, 2008 at 11:08 AM

Simply lowest common denominator humor. Much like what you would hear on Air America, I imagine, if anyone ever listened to that.

kirkill on April 29, 2008 at 11:21 AM

highhopes on April 29, 2008 at 11:08 AM

So you’re angry at satire that insults a soldier who isn’t really a soldier, but you have no problem insulting a real soldier who happens to disagree with you about what constitutes humor?

This is a simple disagreement. Why not just say that you believe the skit is evil and allow that some don’t believe it is?

An Onion video just doesn’t seem worth the trouble of arguing over.

Esthier on April 29, 2008 at 11:26 AM

Esthier on April 29, 2008 at 11:26 AM

Actually what you suggest has been my position.
Where I take exception is being told to “get off my high horse” because I don’t find any humor in the situation. It’s more than a simple disagreement here because, satire or not, it disrepects the real troops and their efforts by trivializing the deaths that have occurred in Iraq and Afghanistan.

And, it really isn’t the ONN that I am arguing about. I’m speaking out for the troops because unlike Danish I support them. I’m not going to stand by and let some loudmouth tell me to lighten up when I take the issue more seriously than he/she/it does.

highhopes on April 29, 2008 at 11:39 AM

Rogue Traveler on April 29, 2008 at 10:59 AM

Good for you. Still haven’t answered my point.

The Onion is using dead soldiers as comedic shtick to point out product placement in news… in order to make money for themselves in advertising. Notice that you don’t get to watch this Swiftian masterpiece of high satire, this brilliant and scathing indictment of crass commercialism in our news media without first watching a bloody commercial. So much for the moral high ground.

Laugh at it all you want, chief. I don’t care. You do better to go buy the products the Onion is hawking, though, so that they can continue to bring you hollow sermons wrapped as oh-so-dark satire.

spmat on April 29, 2008 at 11:47 AM

ouch. black on black over black.
not for everyone, but deliciously black.
my laughter was disturbing.

jimmer on April 29, 2008 at 12:01 PM

The reason it WAS funny and yet so very disturbing is because of it is so realistic. This could and does happen too much with news programs.

The only reason I could laugh is because I knew it was satire, but the reason I felt so uncomfortable is because I knew this could be real.

cat-scratch on April 29, 2008 at 12:08 PM

highhopes on April 29, 2008 at 11:39 AM

Well, I disagree with your position that it disrespects the troops, but I can understand where you’re coming from.

Esthier on April 29, 2008 at 12:31 PM

Harry Reid fires off letter to Onion president in 5…4…3…

Oh…never mind. It wasn’t Rush Limbaugh who did this.

fossten on April 29, 2008 at 12:53 PM

Meet Scarlet.

RushBaby on April 29, 2008 at 1:01 PM

A lot of Onion’s stuff is serious as hell social commentary. This is probably the most powerful and hard-hitting thing they’ve done since the absolutely essential “Holy ****ing ***” series after 9/11. I read it as a scathing commentary on the crass and fickle nature of pop culture and I think they nailed it right on the head. As the writing on the wall said “America is not at war, the Marines are at war. America is at the mall.”.

INFDL on April 29, 2008 at 1:10 PM

Meet Scarlet.

RushBaby on April 29, 2008 at 1:01 PM

Thanks RB. Now I know how to support the Onion’s powerful, hard-hitting commentaries on crass commercialism:

By buying a new monitor from LG.

I feel more consequential already (and totally HD’ed up, baby!).

spmat on April 29, 2008 at 1:39 PM

Now I know how to support the Onion’s powerful, hard-hitting commentaries on crass commercialism: By buying a new monitor from LG.

I feel more consequential already (and totally HD’ed up, baby!).

spmat on April 29, 2008 at 1:39 PM

Exactly.

RushBaby on April 29, 2008 at 2:05 PM

But hey, that’s coming from a “Jesus freak” and we all know that you have no problem with bashing those of us with passionate values. You were probably laughing your arse off that those who paid the ulitmate sacrifice were being spoofed.

highhopes on April 28, 2008 at 8:42 PM

Wow.

No, just wow.

Reaps on April 29, 2008 at 2:37 PM

Look, just because it’s “satire” doesn’t mean that it’s going to be “funny”. Think of it as “performance art”.

If we demand that the Onion always deliver the yuks then we’re demanding that they never exceed our expectations.

This is a poignant piece. It’s obvious that the focus is on the mother. She’s the one we’re supposed to identify with from the git go. To accuse the Onion of here dishonoring our soldiers, or mocking their scrifice, is to miss the point completely, imo.

The Onion is, as usual, mocking the media. That’s why it’s called “Onion News“.

Just because it’s satire doesn’t mean that it’s supposed to be “har har har” funny. Allow them to make a profound observation once and a while, just like we all want to.

Exit question: If this were written by, say, Leonard Cohen or Dick Gregory instead of The Onion, would some of us still be complaining about the lack of “LOL moments”?

Tuning Spork on April 29, 2008 at 8:57 PM

Sorry, I see humor in a lot of things but that one was in very poor taste.

CliffHanger on April 30, 2008 at 10:59 PM