Good lord: Hillary requests $2.3 billion in earmarks

posted at 10:35 pm on April 28, 2008 by Allahpundit

That Woodstock museum isn’t going to just pay for itself, pal.

Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton (D-N.Y.) has requested nearly $2.3 billion in federal earmarks for 2009, almost three times the largest amount received by a single senator this year…

Clinton’s huge earmark requests have some speculating that the former first lady is preparing for a soft landing should she lose the Democratic primary to Obama and refocus her energy on winning a third Senate term…

The documents outlining her most recent requests … are broadly defined, with few details on precisely where most of the money would go…

Clinton said she would limit her requests this year to healthcare resources for victims of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, as well as for national security and homeland security needs, according to Reines.

This would have been a sweet talking point during the general election; too bad she had to go and tank on us in the primary. No matter. Obama’s nicely compromised on this subject as well: $98 million in special earmarks for FY2008 compared to a big fat doughnut for McCain. Exit question: What’s the most depressing part of this story? That we’re really in no position as a party to throw stones? That she’s actually among the anti-pork vanguard in the Senate right now (albeit for reasons of pure political expedience)? Or — gulp — that $2.3 bil really isn’t that much? Quote: “Steve Ellis, a vice president at Taxpayers for Common Sense, a group critical of earmarks, said the amount is not unusual for a senator hailing from a big state who has long secured pet projects.”

Comments

Hillary, I’m doing what I can here, you got to work with me. Fiscal Conservative.

Banging head on desk as he groans in pain at Hillary’s bad timing.

Snake307 on April 28, 2008 at 10:39 PM

Line Item Veto!

BadgerHawk on April 28, 2008 at 10:40 PM

Billion. With a B.

That’s a million, twenty-three hundred times over.

Tzetzes on April 28, 2008 at 10:41 PM

Allah, You do know this is not a bad thing in Democrat circles, right?

EJDolbow on April 28, 2008 at 10:42 PM

Funny that she and Obama co-sponsored DeMint’s bill to freeze earmarks. Shameless! Which is why we love her, right?

SouthernGent on April 28, 2008 at 10:43 PM

I wish someone would pick me to get an earmark – I’d even be willing to build a park or something – I dont need much just maybe 1 billion. How does one get on that gravy train anyway????

HawaiiLwyr on April 28, 2008 at 10:44 PM

If McCain wins the general, I’m sure he’ll thank Hillary Clinton and her campaign for writing his campaign commercials.

Line Item Veto!

Sure, not like Bush (or for that matter, Maverick) would have the balls to use it. They don’t want to piss of their Dem friends. Part of the reason I was drawn to Fred and Mitt, they didn’t care about who they pissed off on the Hill.

malan89 on April 28, 2008 at 10:44 PM

Line Item Veto!

How about we veto a Senator?

drjohn on April 28, 2008 at 10:45 PM

In Bitter America, that’s a hell of a lot.

CP on April 28, 2008 at 10:46 PM

How does one get on that gravy train anyway????

Step 1:
Invent a useless thing.
Step 2:
Pay off Murtha.
Step 3:
Get Murtha to stick it in a spending bill and sell 100,000,000 units to the military.
Step 4:
Count your money as your invention sits useless in military warehouses and Murtha wins reelection thanks to your contribution.

And that’s just one of many methods to cash in on earmarks.

malan89 on April 28, 2008 at 10:47 PM

Ya’ know, this kind of makes me “bitter”…

So here’s a triple-header for Hillary:

You shall not steal.
Exodus 20:15

You shall not steal, nor deal falsely, nor lie to one another.
Leviticus 19:11

You shall not steal.
Deuteronomy 5:19

Red Pill on April 28, 2008 at 10:50 PM

Hey my great state of NY. No? Honestly, you’d think they could afford this with the highest taxes in the nation.

Does it really seem realistic that she should need an earmark to secure funding for victims of 9/11? To me it seems like she is featherbedding to create some well-paying jobs (because they won’t come to NY as is). So she has to make 2 people do a job that one could do. Maybe she has some rich friends in the hospital industry?

This is what we can get if she is elected President! Hurray! Socialism and no jobs!

Canerican on April 28, 2008 at 10:50 PM

A billion here, a billion there, & pretty soon you’re talking big money.

jgapinoy on April 28, 2008 at 10:56 PM

Hillary requests $2.3 billion in earmarks

That doesn’t mean she gonna get it.

Maybe if McCain was as smart as Hillary, he would’ve had more money in the bank right now.

And I’m not just talking about earmarks, but about everything.

John McCain is probably one of the few politicians in American History who is -stubbornly- shooting himself in the foot.

What an idiot!!

Indy Conservative on April 28, 2008 at 10:58 PM

Does that mean she’s now OK to release Path to 9/11 …..?

Seven Percent Solution on April 28, 2008 at 11:00 PM

Good thing that New York, NYC especially, is categorically more important then the rest of the nation. Surely even Ron Paul won’t complain.

Spirit of 1776 on April 28, 2008 at 11:01 PM

wish i could find path to 911 in hard copy somewhere…

blatantblue on April 28, 2008 at 11:02 PM

When you google “Hillary, Pay Up” google ask: “Did you mean: “Hillary Way Up”

Rovin on April 28, 2008 at 11:03 PM

blatantblue on April 28, 2008 at 11:02 PM

Torrent.

exception on April 28, 2008 at 11:23 PM

And I’m not just talking about earmarks, but about everything.

What an idiot!!

Indy Conservative on April 28, 2008 at 10:58 PM

So all those years of not requesting earmarks make McCain an idiot?

Jeez, you guys really work overtime to criticize McCain. It’s really funny when you overreach. LOL

funky chicken on April 28, 2008 at 11:49 PM

Personally, I’ll take the poll’s, especially when it shows McCain losing. McCain remains the biggest threat to our nation that has ever run for the Presidency.

With McCain, you’re pulling the lever, and praying that he stays slightly conservative, despite his long record of doing exactly the opposite. If we needed any additional evidence that McCain was not ready to join the Conservative Ranks, we saw it last week. He didn’t even bother to view the ad put out by the Republican Party of NC, before denouncing it, and ordering them to cease and desist with it.

Give me Hillary, because McCain will be the death of us all.

Snake307 on April 28, 2008 at 9:47 PM

Snake307 is the director of the Woodstock Museum LOL

Or a Paulbot. I suppose that doesn’t have to be mutually exclusive.

funky chicken on April 28, 2008 at 11:54 PM

Leadership.

freevillage on April 29, 2008 at 12:06 AM

McCain should tear her apart over this.

WisCon on April 29, 2008 at 12:44 AM

Leopards do not change their spots.

jukin on April 29, 2008 at 12:47 AM

I’m starting a Dwarf Owl preserve in my backyard immediately!

I’ll need about $2.3 million.

Whooooo.

Weee.

profitsbeard on April 29, 2008 at 1:21 AM

blatantblue-

wish I could find a copy of path to 9/11 in hard copy…

Try this link.

And then search there for: “path to 9/11“.

They have several uncut copies for sale.

profitsbeard on April 29, 2008 at 1:27 AM

A billion here, a billion there, & pretty soon you’re talking big money.

jgapinoy on April 28, 2008 at 10:56 PM

I’m a Specialist in the Army. My base pay is something like $30K a year. So forgive me if I consider a hundredth of a billion to be big money. It must just be a matter of scale. I imagine I’m the one who is out of touch.

Spc Steve on April 29, 2008 at 3:16 AM

So all those years of not requesting earmarks make McCain an idiot?

funky chicken on April 28, 2008 at 11:49 PM

Again, setting earmarks aside, McCain with Campaign Finance Reform, for example, is an idiot.

How can you vote for a guy who makes wrong decisions?

How about immigration?

How about disguising in Conservative clothes while working with Liberals?

McCain voters, just like him, have no principles to stand on.

Indy Conservative on April 29, 2008 at 6:12 AM

I am currently reading all the letters in chronological order between John Adams and Thomas Jefferson (with Abigail’s sprinkled in for good measure). While serving as ministers to Gr. Britain and France respectively, they often wrote about their expenditures and whether it would be prudent to bill the Treasury. Two honest men. It’s a sad state of affairs when we can’t say the same about our current elected officials on both sides of the eisle.

pullingmyhairout on April 29, 2008 at 8:30 AM

If our congresscritters are in a generous mood, I wonder if Solomon Ortiz can send down a few million to me so I can retire on a nice boat and cruise the caribbean… just kidding.

pullingmyhairout on April 29, 2008 at 8:32 AM

Of course . . . if she wants to be reelected she must provide funds to continue the support for that mega nanny state state she represents.

rplat on April 29, 2008 at 8:45 AM

Why are Americans in such denial over earmarks?
Every politician plays the earmark game.
I would be more suspicious of one who didn’t.

Dave Rywall on April 29, 2008 at 8:51 AM

Dave Rywall on April 29, 2008 at 8:51 AM

Well, McCain doesn’t. Still can’t vote for him, I think.
Just as many politicians lie, too. Doesn’t make it right, does it? Are you suspicious of the ones that don’t?
No offence, but, good grief!

P.S. I’m not saying all earmarks are bad like lying is bad. I’m smarter than that.

shibumiglass on April 29, 2008 at 9:32 AM

almost three times the largest amount received by a single senator this year

Or…

Which is it?

Jaibones on April 29, 2008 at 10:04 AM

Well, McCain doesn’t. Still can’t vote for him, I think.

I’m smarter than that.

shibumiglass on April 29, 2008 at 9:32 AM

Yeah, I can see that.

PS Are people who spell offense with a C actually voting in the U.S. this cycle?

Jaibones on April 29, 2008 at 10:06 AM

ouch. I blushed at that. That’s what you get before coffee.
Still, you’re pretty nasty. Why?

shibumiglass on April 29, 2008 at 10:17 AM

This will set her up for a more successful run in 2012, when the Mayan calendar ends and The Brave New World begins in earnest.
“Still, you’re pretty nasty. Why?” The ‘compassionate conservatives’ and the looney liberals have gone beyond their expiration date.

Christine on April 29, 2008 at 11:39 AM