Arianna: Sure, I’m a hypocrite on global warming

posted at 8:55 pm on April 27, 2008 by Allahpundit

A snippet from Stossel’s 20/20 sitdown. Obviously there’s more to her answer; too bad he edited it out. I’m guessing it was the standard “better to agitate and be a hypocrite than do nothing” defense (perhaps with a little “it’s a drop in the bucket compared to industrial emissions” thrown in), but does the hypocrisy not trouble her even a little bit? After four years of shrieking “chickenhawk!” at war supporters over Iraq — but never, ever over Afghanistan, natch — you’d think the left’s leading lights would take the concept of leading by example more seriously. This is the environmentalist equivalent of liberals demanding higher taxes while forever politely declining to pay more than their fair share voluntarily. Which, come to think of it, would have been a perfect follow-up question for this particular interview. Exit question: “I’m not setting myself up as some paragon,” she says. Why not?

Comments

A typical liberal, do as I say and not as I do, because that would be inconvient and I might have to pay for it with my own money.

flytier on April 27, 2008 at 8:59 PM

What a gasbag. I bet she collects her own rainwater, though, like Ed Begley, Jr. So, she’s got that going for her.

Sgt. Hartman on April 27, 2008 at 9:00 PM

Reason #2 I am glad I am glad I’m no longer on their side. The hypocrisy is sickening.

SouthernGent on April 27, 2008 at 9:01 PM

Uhm. Then don’t expect any of us to be paragons.

misterpeasea on April 27, 2008 at 9:04 PM

Because liberalism is about control over the collective, not any particular cause celebre. The cause is the means, not the end.

spmat on April 27, 2008 at 9:06 PM

Reason #2 I am glad I’m no longer on their side. The hypocrisy is sickening.

SouthernGent on April 27, 2008 at 9:01 PM

I’m just glad she no longer pretends to be on our side.

The woman’s an embarassment to rational people in any camp she joins.

SuperCool on April 27, 2008 at 9:12 PM

hey, don’t criticize her for being a hypocrite, she just a very rich, off her dead republican husband’s money, phony. OK?
she admits she doesn’t know what she’s talking about so just back off!

jimmer on April 27, 2008 at 9:13 PM

I extend my continuing offer to (Al Gore, Brangelina, George C. Looney, et al) Zsa Zsa Assinopolous. Measure your raw carbon footprint for all of 2008, and I’ll measure mine.

You burn less fossil fuels than me, and I’ll work for you next year for free. You burn more and we trade houses and cars.

Come on, big mouth. Put some skin in the game…

Jaibones on April 27, 2008 at 9:14 PM

Give Ed Begley a break. My understanding is he actually tries to practice what he preaches. More than you can say for most of that crowd.

Skywatcher44 on April 27, 2008 at 9:18 PM

In all fairness, global warming is just one of the many subjects that Zsa Zsa’s a hypocrite about. Which just makes her a typical liberal.

ReubenJCogburn on April 27, 2008 at 9:19 PM

To make it up for it all, she only uses “one square“….

Let that image sink in……………

Seven Percent Solution on April 27, 2008 at 9:24 PM

And in other news, water is wet.

xplodeit on April 27, 2008 at 9:26 PM

Reason #2 I am glad I’m no longer on their side. The hypocrisy is sickening.

Yea but who said that global warming could be addressed through individual action alone?

Interesting that so many are offended by someone’s personal behavior, but not by the destruction of the dollar’s value or the massive federal deficits. I guess soundbites like this are more important than policy.

bayam on April 27, 2008 at 9:33 PM

LEAVE ARIANNA ALONE!!!

/Chris whatshisherthing

Wanderlust on April 27, 2008 at 9:33 PM

Does anyone, and I anyone, honestly, sincerely, give a holler and a hoot what this lady has to say about anything?
She is the epitome of everything that is wrong with the liberal point of view.

pilamaye on April 27, 2008 at 9:35 PM

She only takes private planes because they were going that way anyway.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on April 27, 2008 at 9:36 PM

Does anyone, and I mean anyone, honestly, sincerely, give a holler and a hoot what this lady has to say about anything?
She is the epitome of everything that is wrong with the liberal point of view.

pilamaye on April 27, 2008 at 9:35 PM

My editing boo boo. Sorry

pilamaye on April 27, 2008 at 9:37 PM

Oil just hit a new high, and poor people are starving from the biofuels scam, but Arianna isn’t hurting, SO SCREW IT!

TexasJew on April 27, 2008 at 9:38 PM

I am waiting for Arianna to come completely clean and repent.

I have sinned against you, my dear Lord Goracle, and I would ask that your precious carbon credits would wash and cleanse my every stain on the earth until it is in the seas of Lord Goracle’s forgiveness.
- Arianna “Swaggart” Huffington

MB4 on April 27, 2008 at 9:38 PM

Every time I hear her voice I wanna sing….

♫♪ Green Acres is the place to be ♫♪

Kini on April 27, 2008 at 9:47 PM

She’s born in Greece, that bastion of socialism, educated at Cambridge/England, married conservative (opportune union), became a ‘compassionate conservative’, fought like hell for her then-husband to become a conservative Sen. of California, he lost, they divorced (because he moved next doors with a guy), she reverted back to her natural liberalism, supported by her billionaire ex. She’s back ‘home’.

Maybe she’s a bit scorned but politically she was a conservative fake, for expediency and lots of money, for many, many years. She’s trying to ‘repent’ for her political guilt now.

There are no greater hypocrits on Capitalism than the elite Left.

Also, remember she said “So What” to the Kurdish liberation.

Entelechy on April 27, 2008 at 9:51 PM

I have a co-worker that is happy about the high gas prices and he thinks they should be higher. He hates that everyone drives around in giant SUV’s and wasting energy, but its okay for him go out on the weekends or weekdays for that matter and fly his f’ing airplane.

One day I called him out on his hypocrisy and he didn’t like it.

Lance Murdock on April 27, 2008 at 9:53 PM

Sure I’m a hypocrite. But, it’s not about people like me. It’s about what people like me need to make people like all of you do!

JellyToast on April 27, 2008 at 9:55 PM

JellyToast on April 27, 2008 at 9:55 PM

Ah, the Good Enough, Smart Enough, and Gosh Darn It, People Like Me Stewart Smalley approach, yes?

Kini on April 27, 2008 at 10:03 PM

Mehhhhhh……..

“♫♪ What Arianna will do tomorrow… ♫♪”

Seven Percent Solution on April 27, 2008 at 10:06 PM

Shshshshshshshsh

Don’t tell anybody.

Do you know what is the mean of ARIANNA in Arabic??

It means:

NAKED WOMAN.

Indy Conservative on April 27, 2008 at 10:21 PM

Step away from the botox.

funky chicken on April 27, 2008 at 10:26 PM

All of them are hypocrites. And not just hypocrites but super hypocrites. Why do we allow these aholes to keep spouting off? Why do we allow them to get away with their pseudoscience?

Big Hypocrite List:
Ariana
Streisand
Laurie & Larry David
Sting & Trudie
DiCaprio
Carmen Dias
Gwinnny Paltrow

[feel free to add on]

Blake on April 27, 2008 at 10:27 PM

When I first heard of Huffington many decades ago, she was promoting some cult — Brother John I think it’s called. She may still be into it though I don’t hear it being preached about by Hollywood moonbats like they did in the 80s.

Blake on April 27, 2008 at 11:03 PM

I didn’t realize that the only two choices were candlelight and travel by bicycle … or million dollar home and travel by private jet.

aunursa on April 27, 2008 at 11:12 PM

SouthernGent on April 27, 2008 at 9:01 PM

Same here. Not only sickening, but mentally hard to keep track of the contortions they must go through to justify all of that BS.

4shoes on April 27, 2008 at 11:16 PM

[feel free to add on]

Blake on April 27, 2008 at 10:27 PM

How could you forget Al Gore?

Entelechy on April 27, 2008 at 11:36 PM

A few gems from a grovelling profile in the SF Chronicle:

“Because the mainstream media have not been critical enough – particularly of the Bush administration’s reasons for invading Iraq – Americans have been misinformed and cowed into inaction and an unhealthy embrace of far-right-wing ideals. (edit – Not critical enough?!? This woman is insane.)

…[T]he HuffPo has become a liberal must-read. It drew 5.2 million visitors in March, according to Nielsen Online. That’s a 350 percent traffic increase over last year, more than most major newspaper sites and the online goliath, the Drudge Report. It could report $7.5 million in revenues this year, and its editorial and advertising staff has expanded to 50.

…Later this spring, the HuffPo will further expand its vision, adding a local news section in several cities, beginning with Chicago. (Huffington says the Bay Area could be added later.) The reporters, as is the case with HuffPo’s 1,800 bloggers, would be unpaid.

They are unpaid, Huffington says, “but also they have no requirements. They write when they want to write, they write when the spirit moves them. We provide a platform, we provide attention, we provide technology.” (edit – And transparent exploitation of the dumb saps who make her wealthier by cranking out propaganda for nothing.)

…Huffington believes that the problem with the mainstream media isn’t its ideology, it’s that traditional outlets provide “equal time” to differing viewpoints, even when those viewpoints don’t have equal merit.

…”It’s about facts and reality and truth,” she says. “Global warming is not about ideology. How the war in Iraq is doing is not about ideology. It’s not a question of right or left. That’s another problem with the media is that they want to present everything as right versus left. In fact, it is right versus wrong.” (edit – “Ve vill destroy ze non-believers!”)

Coulter, Huffington writes, is “the right-wing punditry’s equivalent of crack or crystal meth. She’s highly addictive – giving users the delirious, giddy high of outrageousness. But then the buzz wears off and they come crashing down, their spirits shriveled, their souls poisoned.” (edit – Pot, meet kettle.)

Django on April 27, 2008 at 11:57 PM

Okay, I have to admit, the SF Chronicle article isn’t strictly grovelling. There are a few jabs in there.

Django on April 28, 2008 at 12:12 AM

She’s a real nowhere woman
Sitting in her 7 million mansion
Making all her nowhere plans
For nobody.

Shy Guy on April 28, 2008 at 12:26 AM

“She’s born in Greece, that bastion of socialism”

Ha ha ha… those greek bastards eh?

I’m not sure why her comments get you all upset. She admits that she isn’t perfect when it comes to green living. Big deal. And the link to the tax issue is a little odd… wrongdoing there? No, absolutely none.

I find her tiresome bit I also find this jibe against her tiresome and boring. Making America more efficient is a matter of strategic importance for our security and economic success. That should be something that we all want. Sure some of the advocates are distasteful (Gore comes to mind) but that doesn’t mean we should fight against sensible steps towards efficiency and preservation of resources whenever possible or prudent.

lexhamfox on April 28, 2008 at 12:29 AM

Arianna has always wanted to become a power broker in U.S. politics, which is what her husband’s 1996 Senate run against DiFi was all about, after he had just been elected to Congress and had minimal political experience. By the time the election was over, she had pissed off so many people in the California GOP that Michael Reagan went on his radio show and said he was voting for Feinstein.

Once it became clear Michael was not going to be a power in GOP politics and Arianna was not going to be First Lady, she began scouring around for a new power base while splitting from Michael (if this was a James Bond movie, she would have told him he had outlived his usefulness and dropped him through the trap door into the piranha tank). By the spring of 2000, she had found it in Hollywood, where all the big egos love to be stroked about their political acumen, and in turn their celebrity gave Arianna a chance to become the de facto spokesperson for the left in Southern Califorina…

…but the idea that she would actually change her lifestyle — while now spouting lines that denounced big cars, big homes and private jets as wasteful and contributing far more than her fair share to global warming — is a fantasy. Arianna doesn’t believe in global warming or her other liberal causes any more than she believes in the Easter Bunny, but she knows by acting like she believes it, she maintains her position as the Al Sharpton of the film colony — the unelected official spokesperson for liberal West Coast celebs, who never met a TV camera she didn’t want to stand in front of and Gabor on endlessly.

And at the same time, no one in Hollywood other than Ed Begley Jr., plans to do anything to inconvenience themselves — in their minds, just telling all the grunts, plebes and knuckle-draggers out their that they have to make sacrifices to their lifestyles is enough of a contribution. And they have to do it all over the country and even in other parts of the world, so there’s really no way they can lower their carbon footprint.

jon1979 on April 28, 2008 at 12:43 AM

That woman’s accent makes me want to put a screwdriver in my ear.

AbaddonsReign on April 28, 2008 at 1:08 AM

Well if the standard is simply talking about the importance of environmentalism then I’m all for it. I didn’t realize that being environmentally conscious doesn’t actually require any action on my part. I am more green than I realized. All this time I thought I would have to change something. This is great news!

Mormon Doc on April 28, 2008 at 2:14 AM

AbaddonsReign on April 28, 2008 at 1:08 AM

Really? I would hit that harder than a red headed stepchild. Goofy politics or not!

ronsfi on April 28, 2008 at 2:54 AM

Skywatcher44 on April 27, 2008 at 9:18 PM

I felt I should chime in for my neighbor here. :) I live maybe a quarter mile down the road from Ed and he is a certifiable green nutter. I am sure he expells more carbon from his lungs than he does from any machine he owns/operates.

If you are in LA in the Studio City area you will routinely see him in full electric cars/golf carts or riding his bike (imagine that, exercising and not polluting). I’m pretty sure he was the one that pushed the grocery store here (Vons) into offering the canvas grocery bags; which I actually must admit to loving since they are 4 times the size of those plastic ones.

MannyT-vA on April 28, 2008 at 5:42 AM

“Just doingk vot I can, dahlinks, to lower ze collective global IQ.”

whitetop on April 28, 2008 at 7:49 AM

lexhamfox on April 28, 2008 at 12:29 AM

It’s not the what, it’s the how that bothers the heck out of me!

OldEnglish on April 28, 2008 at 8:50 AM

I watched ZsaZsa on Bill Maher’s show with Phil Donahue and Garry Shandling last night. I couldn’t decide which one was the biggest idiot. That woman is an intellectual vacuum. A mental black hole, if you will. As far as “Playboy”Maher’s show, fair and balanced as usual. The spectrum runs far,far leftist to far left. Should be called “Real Time with Bill Marxist”……..McCain wins ’08………

adamsmith on April 28, 2008 at 9:16 AM

I don’t know the medical term, but when your face becomes too large to be proportionate with your facial features it starts to look really weird. Ted Kennedy has it.

Coronagold on April 28, 2008 at 9:22 AM

Huffington describes herself as a “former right-winger who has evolved into a compassionate and progressive populist”.

Ariana is afflicted with Hilton’s disease. A condition by which someone is famous for being famous. Frequently the condition is contracted through some sort of public event, either real or manufactured and often involves sex, money or both.

I suspect that Ariana’s condition was made worse by the fact she was paid for sex (though not involving her) by proxy via a divorce.

Apparently Ariana’s compassionate populism does not extend to the earth and the rest of mankind. To paraphrase Orwell, “If you want a picture of the future, imagine a carbon footprint stomping on a human face — forever.”

moxie_neanderthal on April 28, 2008 at 9:41 AM

It is hard to be green when your last John left you billion dollars worth of whorin’ money.

TheSitRep on April 28, 2008 at 10:37 AM

Here ya go, Arianna, from the tv show “Green Acres” with a bit of tweaking…

Green Acres isn’t the place for me.
Farm livin’ isn’t the life for me.
Land spreadin’ out so far and wide.
Keep the countryside, just give me the city side.

New York is where I’d rather stay.
I get allergic smelling hay.
I just adore a penthouse view and high CO2
Dah-ling, Gore, I love you but give me Park Avenue, achoo!

…The chores.
…The stores.
…Fresh air.
…Times Square.

(I think I broke a nail!)

That isn’t my life.
Hello, city life.
Green Acres hypocrites we are…!

Kokonut on April 28, 2008 at 12:45 PM

“It’s not the what, it’s the how that bothers the heck out of me!”

OldEnglish on April 28, 2008 at 8:50 AM

Agreed. Bush made complete fools out of Republicans as far as the debate goes. Ari Fleischer was asked about government incentives or encouragement to persuade Americans to manufacture and purchase more efficient cars and his answer to the call for those measures was… “that is a big no..””..big cars are part of the American way of life.”

Sensible Republicans and Conservatives are trying to rejoin this important debate but those bipartisan calls are mocked on this site. It is a pity that Hot Air chooses to oppose and ridicule the debate rather than join it and help formulate policies which would encourage efficiency and protection of resources and natural habitats.

lexhamfox on April 28, 2008 at 3:50 PM