Wright on Obama’s denunciation: He “says what he has to say as a politician”; Update: Video added

posted at 3:04 pm on April 24, 2008 by Allahpundit

A sneak preview of the next headache for the Messiah, set to drop tomorrow night. CJ reads this as an admission by Wright that Obama’s condemnation of him is insincere. I’m not so sure. Quote:

Mr. Wright, who has acted as Mr. Obama’s spiritual mentor and retired in February as pastor of Trinity United Church of Christ in Chicago, said that he has never heard Mr. Obama repeat any of his controversial statements.

“Absolutely not,” Mr. Wright said. “I don’t talk to him about politics. And so he had a political event, he goes out as a politician and says what he has to say as a politician. I continue to be a pastor who speaks to the people of God about the things of God.”

Mr. Obama publicly denounced Mr. Wright’s remarks, a reaction Mr. Wright said “went down very simply.”

“He’s a politician, I’m a pastor,” he said. “We speak to two different audiences. And he says what he has to say as a politician. I say what I have to say as a pastor. But they’re two different worlds.”

He added, “I do what I do. He does what politicians do. So that what happened in Philadelphia where he had to respond to the sound bytes, he responded as a politician.”

He may simply be trying to communicate that they come at these issues from different angles and have honest differences of opinion. The idea of a politician saying “what he has to say” makes it sound like an accusation of pandering, but it needn’t be: He refers to himself saying “what he has to say” as a pastor, too. That is, he may be pointing to their differing professions and audiences as proof of their philosophical differences, one set of beliefs leading down one career path and another leading down another one (“two different worlds”). If that’s not what he meant — if he’s actually accusing Obama of lying through his teeth during The Speech That Saved The World — then Team Barry really should have huddled with him before this interview.

It’s hard for me to believe he’d sandbag him like that, but oh well. Too late now, as eyebrows are already arching. Exit question: How do we read the Moyers exchange in light of this golden quote from last year? “You can get kind of rough in the sermons, so what we’ve decided is that it’s best for you not to be out there in public.”

Update: Here’s a snippet.

Comments

Rev. Wrong

The Race Card on April 24, 2008 at 3:07 PM

oh, and he’s a secret muslim too. you forgot to mention that.

Watchman on April 24, 2008 at 3:07 PM

He “says what he has to say as a politician” – same as any other politician, then. “Hope, unity, change”, just baloney for the sheeple.

Who needs enemies, with friends like Wright?

Entelechy on April 24, 2008 at 3:08 PM

Swirling toward the vortex goes Hussein…

Akzed on April 24, 2008 at 3:09 PM

“I continue to be a pastor who speaks to the people of God about the things of God.””

LOL…you’re killing me Rev. Dr.

I thought lying through your teeth was the mark of the OLD politicians, not the NEW ones we are changing to, and hoping.

Hope and change…

oh, and he’s a secret muslim too. you forgot to mention that.

Rev. Dr. Loudmouth, Esq. was a Muslim…

They were too gentile for him, the Patriotic Former Marine.

benrand on April 24, 2008 at 3:11 PM

… Such as the government lying about creating the AIDS virus, and the chickens coming home to roost in the form of three thousand Americans slaughtered, and the United States of KKK, Right Reverend?

wise_man on April 24, 2008 at 3:12 PM

Allah,

I thought hmmm was spelled ‘humm’

srac/

Lance Murdock on April 24, 2008 at 3:12 PM

He “says what he has to say as a politician”

No shite, Wright.

RobCon on April 24, 2008 at 3:12 PM

I wonder if David Duke will run as Hussein’s veep. That would cover the spectrum to the far left and to the far right. Skin heads and marxists could goosestep down Pennsylvania Avenue arm-in-arm in their brown shirts.

saved on April 24, 2008 at 3:13 PM

So, does God hate Amerikkka?…and the white people in Amerikkka?…and does he/she want us to be different?

Entelechy on April 24, 2008 at 3:13 PM

Rev. Wright meet Rev. Pandering

right2bright on April 24, 2008 at 3:13 PM

Two different worlds? Good luck with that. That quote will go down as another meltdown for Obama. How many of us go to church and want our spiritual life to be that divorced from the rest of our lives? OK, maybe Tom Cruise. But not most people who listen to sermons that do the exact opposite; connect religion to their daily lives.

Wright, the gift that truly does keep on giving.

JeffB. on April 24, 2008 at 3:16 PM

So as a pastor, why are you calling upon God to damn the United States of America — the land which gave you a 10,000 sq. ft. retirement home?

rbj on April 24, 2008 at 3:16 PM

For once, Rev Wright is right. Obama says what he needs to say to promote his political career.

And the Rev says what he needs to say to promote his preaching career.

Simple as that.

petefrt on April 24, 2008 at 3:17 PM

wise_man on April 24, 2008 at 3:12 PM

I’m pretty sure most of this stuff is in Nancy Pelosi’s Bible.

Shtetl G on April 24, 2008 at 3:19 PM

How is this different from Obama saying one thing about nafta here and telling the Canucks he was only pandering for votes?

Blake on April 24, 2008 at 3:20 PM

That bus has plenty of room for bodies underneath. First Granny and now Rev. Sheik Yer Chicken.

Are these two starting to come off like Sanford and Son, or is it just me?

“Hey Dummy, here comes the big one….I’m comin’ Mohamed!!!

Hening on April 24, 2008 at 3:20 PM

rbj on April 24, 2008 at 3:16 PM

So, let me get his straight. If you’re white, success is due to your hard work and rugged individualism, but if you’re black, its that land that “gave” you it? That about sum you up?

I don’t expect “the land” gave him shit. He served as a marine. I’m just about sure he worked for everything he has. He’s had to!

Watchman on April 24, 2008 at 3:23 PM

These two are jerks. All about money and power. Trying to appeal to the masses for their own gain.

jencab on April 24, 2008 at 3:24 PM

“Absolutely not,” Mr. Wright said. “I don’t talk to him about politics.

I just preach it to him from the pulpit.

TheBigOldDog on April 24, 2008 at 3:25 PM

It’s hard for me to believe he’d sandbag him like that, but oh well.

Dude. This is what narcissistic, loose cannons do to their craftier allies.

I swear, Jeremiah Wright and Bill Clinton are “bruthas from another mutha.”

baldilocks on April 24, 2008 at 3:26 PM

He refers to himself saying “what he has to say” as a pastor, too. That is, he may be pointing to their differing professions and audiences as proof of their philosophical differences, one set of beliefs leading down one career path and another leading down another one (”two different worlds”).

AP, I sincerely applaud how you’re always trying to figure out what’s really being said instead of taking sound bytes, but I don’t think this one quite works.

What a pastor “has to” say is something that speaks to the congregation about God’s word, sometimes even at the risk of insulting you own members. That’s what Wright “has to” do.

But Obama, as a politician, has to appeal to everyone and try to unite everyone. In other words, he has to pander, at least to a degree.

That’s really the difference. Both positions require leadership, but only one requires that the people who follow you are flattered by what you say.

Esthier on April 24, 2008 at 3:27 PM

I don’t expect “the land” gave him shit. He served as a marine.

Watchman on April 24, 2008 at 3:23 PM

So was Lee Harvey Oswald.

TheBigOldDog on April 24, 2008 at 3:27 PM

We speak to two different audiences.

Yeah, the Good Rev. Dr. talks to black people, and Barry talks to white liberals.

benrand on April 24, 2008 at 3:28 PM

“I don’t talk to him about politics.

Maybe I am mistaken, but did not Barry say he consulted with this guy before making any political move? Was that not in one of his books? Is this not one more lie?

TC@LeatherPenguin on April 24, 2008 at 3:29 PM

Let me explain…

In Africa, there are no houses like the one the Good Rev. Dr. is buying.

In the US, there are and there is a means for the Good Rev. Dr. to make a ton of money and yell and scream about AIDS and the government and all that…

benrand on April 24, 2008 at 3:31 PM

Dude. This is what narcissistic, megalomaniac, loose cannons do to their craftier allies.

Just wanted to add that one word.

Hening on April 24, 2008 at 3:31 PM

benrand on April 24, 2008 at 3:31 PM

You don’t need to explain. He knows exactly what he meant. Instead he wanted to use the comment to inject race into the thread by claiming the poster is racist for daring to criticize Wright. It’s the way Leftists operate.

TheBigOldDog on April 24, 2008 at 3:34 PM

I’m pretty sure most of this stuff is in Nancy Pelosi’s Bible.

Shtetl G on April 24, 2008 at 3:19 PM

Comment of the day!

Red Pill on April 24, 2008 at 3:35 PM

He served as a marine…

Watchman on April 24, 2008 at 3:23 PM

The Rev, Murtha, Benedict Arnold, John Kerry, Lee Harvey Oswald all served in the military of this Nation, and each one did a greater disservice to this country and its people than their time in uniform could even be considered as breaking even.

I sure the United States Marines are real proud that a racist, American hating loon like Wright wore their uniform, ate their food and collected a check.

Hening on April 24, 2008 at 3:38 PM

i agree with the rev., i also think that, Osama Braarck Hussein Bin Obama Laden Obama, is a politician.

custer on April 24, 2008 at 3:44 PM

Everytime I see one of these kind of pieces it makes me laugh at the ‘respectful campaign’ that Johnny Mac is trying to run. How the hell is he going to pull that off when 1000 527s are going to drop kicking him for the next six months?

Johnny all that white hat stuff has to go.

To quote our most famous Hollyweird cowboy,

“Deserving has got nothing to do with it.”

Limerick on April 24, 2008 at 3:45 PM

Just wanted to add that one word.

Hening on April 24, 2008 at 3:31 PM

Good addition!

baldilocks on April 24, 2008 at 3:48 PM

I wouldn’t bend over too far backwards to give these guys the benefit of the doubt, AP. Their good-faith words have been belied too many times already by bad-faith actions for them to merit putting much faith at all in their intentions. They’re BOTH “saying what they have to say,” and they both have forked tongues. Just like every other political snake does. And Wright is just as much a politician as the Obamessiah is, whether he wants to be thought of as such or not.

Mike H on April 24, 2008 at 3:53 PM

You have to love how the good reverend announces that BHO doesn’t mean what he says. We all know that especially after refusing to disavow the 20 years relationship.

They both know enough of the American people are too stupid, ignorant, and uninformed to care. So it’s on to the White House where they can “change” this formerly great country into bastion of socialism that they want it to be.

libhater on April 24, 2008 at 3:54 PM

Let me explain…

In Africa, there are no houses like the one the Good Rev. Dr. is buying.

benrand on April 24, 2008 at 3:31 PM

Believe it or not they have big houses in Africa too.

crr6 on April 24, 2008 at 3:55 PM

Really? The whole premise that the Rev. Wright and his church is not political is a fallacious. Black Liberation Theology is nothing if not political.

Like this:

Perhaps it is the Marxism imbedded in Obama’s attendance at Trinity Church that should raise red flags. “Economic parity” and “distribution” language implies things like government-coerced wealth redistribution, perpetual minimum wage increases, government subsidized health care for all, and the like.

One of the priorities listed on Obama’s campaign website reads, “Obama will protect tax cuts for poor and middle class families, but he will reverse most of the Bush tax cuts for the wealthiest taxpayers.”

Buy Danish on April 24, 2008 at 4:01 PM

“Absolutely not,” Mr. Wright said. “I don’t talk to him about politics.

A “community activist” soesn’t talk about politics to his mentor/spritual advisor?

Is it a compounded sin if the sinner pretends to be a man of God?

peacenprosperity on April 24, 2008 at 4:04 PM

soesn’t -doesn’t

peacenprosperity on April 24, 2008 at 4:04 PM

Believe it or not they have big houses in Africa too.

crr6 on April 24, 2008 at 3:55 PM

Yeah – I bet Robert Mugabe’s house and Muamar Quaddafi’s houses are both REALLLY big, and those are just the first two that come to mind.

Fishoutofwater on April 24, 2008 at 4:05 PM

In other words, Obama is schizophrenic. In church he’s one thing, as a politician outside of church he’s another and never the twain meet?

Sorry, that doesn’t work. You should know better, Mr. Allahpundit.

Mommynator on April 24, 2008 at 4:07 PM

Believe it or not they have big houses in Africa too.

crr6 on April 24, 2008 at 3:55 PM

They do, indeed.

baldilocks on April 24, 2008 at 4:14 PM

And you have to say the things you have to say as a race baiting, anti-American bigot pretending to speak to word of God.

Geronimo on April 24, 2008 at 4:14 PM

AP, as mentioned above, I appreciate your caution in these matters, but think you may be giving the Rev a little too much “benefit of the doubt”. If he wanted to say that he and Obama had sincere differences of opinion, he could have said so very simply. As stated, it definitely comes across as more along the lines of Obama’s NAFTA facade.

mikeyboss on April 24, 2008 at 4:15 PM

- Iraq withdrawal, yes/no
- NAFTA, yes/no
- Guns, yes/no
- For the simple/billionaires, yes/no
- Taxes on the middle class, yes/no
- Change/unity/hope, yes/no
- Sunny disposition, yes/no
- Funding, yes/no
- Different kind of politician, yes/no

- Waffler, YES
- Same as all other politicians, YES
- Primadona, as all other politicians, YES

- With/against Rev. Wright, Yes/No

Entelechy on April 24, 2008 at 4:16 PM

Liberation theology is a school of theology within Christianity, particularly in the Roman Catholic Church. Liberation theology focuses on Jesus Christ as not only the Redeemer but also the Liberator of the oppressed. It emphasizes the Christian mission to bring justice to the poor and oppressed particularly through political activism. Some elements of certain liberation theologies have been rejected by the Catholic Church.

Read more here.

Buy Danish on April 24, 2008 at 4:17 PM

Watchman on April 24, 2008 at 3:23 PM

More proof that anything said about a black person can be turned into proof that the person who said it is racist.

You remind me of a friend, except that when he made those statements he was just joking even though he joked about everything from a missed email to CoCo Puffs all being racist.

Esthier on April 24, 2008 at 4:18 PM

“I don’t talk to him about politics.

TC@LeatherPenguin on April 24, 2008 at 3:29 PM

I agree completely.

mikeyboss on April 24, 2008 at 4:18 PM

Mr. Hening,

Hening on April 24, 2008 at 3:38 PM

Uncle Sam’s Misguided Children are not all Choir Boys. There have been, and likely still are, all sorts of kindred spirits on both sides of the aisle. That said, however, the Marines have proudly defended Jeremiah Wright’s right to shout such dreck.

Oh, and Fishoutofwater? Quaddafi lives in a tent in his palace compound. Something about staying close to his roots.

SeniorD on April 24, 2008 at 4:19 PM

Johnny all that white hat stuff has to go.

To quote our most famous Hollyweird cowboy,

“Deserving has got nothing to do with it.”

Limerick on April 24, 2008 at 3:45 PM

I think the Mav is doing this so when the dems go negative, Obama will have to spend a lot of time denouncing and rejecting.
McCain knows the 527′s will be kicking Obama’s ass.
He can stay above it though and look to the indies as if he is trying to run a respectful campaign.

And personally, I think he will make Obama look like a moron in the debates…on the issues.
The guy doesn’t even understand capital gains taxation.

ArmyAunt on April 24, 2008 at 4:20 PM

The guy doesn’t even understand capital gains taxation.

ArmyAunt on April 24, 2008 at 4:20 PM

Yeah, he probably doesn’t have time for another debate because he’s had to schedule tutoring sessions.

mikeyboss on April 24, 2008 at 4:22 PM

AP comments:

He may simply be trying to communicate that they come at these issues from different angles and have honest differences of opinion. The idea of a politician saying “what he has to say” makes it sound like an accusation of pandering, but it needn’t be: He refers to himself saying “what he has to say” as a pastor, too. . .

You’re too kind to these sleazy characters. What Wright lets slip is that they are both dishonest panderers, each to their respective audiences.

What we are left to puzzle over is: How much of the tripe that each purveys represents their own beliefs? My guess: Since they have clearly been soulmates for 20 years, they both share a deep-seated disdain for their fellow Americans, and more than a passing fondness for the Marxist dogma of the intellectual, anti-American, racist left.

MrLynn on April 24, 2008 at 4:22 PM

Allahpundit:

Wright could have just said, “Barack and I don’t agree on those issues” if that were the case.

I’ve thought it was silly when others accused you of being sweet on Obama, but I think you are being waaaaaay too generous here.

mikeyboss on April 24, 2008 at 4:28 PM

Off topic, but can someone tell me what a 527 is?

Esthier on April 24, 2008 at 4:31 PM

Off topic, but can someone tell me what a 527 is?
Esthier on April 24, 2008 at 4:31 PM

“527″

A 527 group is a type of American tax-exempt organization named after a section of the United States tax code, 26 U.S.C. § 527. A 527 group is created primarily to influence the nomination, election, appointment or defeat of candidates for public office. Although candidate committees and political action committees are also created under Section 527, the term is generally used to refer to political organizations that are not regulated by the Federal Election Commission or by a state elections commission, and are not subject to the same contribution limits as PACs.

wise_man on April 24, 2008 at 4:33 PM

It’s OK to lie to the infidel.

DANEgerus on April 24, 2008 at 4:45 PM

wise_man on April 24, 2008 at 4:33 PM

Thanks.

Esthier on April 24, 2008 at 4:52 PM

Entelechy on April 24, 2008 at 3:08 PM

Bingo….New kind of politician my azz!

ihasurnominashun on April 24, 2008 at 4:57 PM

Esthier, one of the best known 527, are/were the “Swift Boat Veterans“.

Entelechy on April 24, 2008 at 5:02 PM

SeniorD on April 24, 2008 at 4:19 PM

It’s my understanding that his tent has a big hole in it now. Good thing it doesn’t rain much there.

Oldnuke on April 24, 2008 at 5:24 PM

oh, and he’s a secret muslim too. you forgot to mention that.

Watchman on April 24, 2008 at 3:07 PM

Ok, he’s a secret Muslim. (Which one? or both?)

kirkill on April 24, 2008 at 5:50 PM

So when Bush claims to be a Christian it’s said to be shameless right wing pandering, but when Obama and this sham of a pastor make the same association to church, they are reported as respectful faithful followers. Doesn’t the non-stop media double standard make your head spin?

WHO ARE THESE JOKERS?

leftnomore on April 24, 2008 at 5:51 PM

Buy Danish on April 24, 2008 at 4:17 PM

We’re on the same wavelength.

baldilocks on April 24, 2008 at 5:55 PM

Gimme dat ole time religion,
Gimme dat ole time religion,
Gimme dat ole time religion,
then y’all go pound salt!

Lonetown on April 24, 2008 at 6:12 PM

They say, “God works in mysterious ways”

Let us pray…

Dear God,

Please don’t let Jeremiah Wright quit talking.

Amen

franksalterego on April 24, 2008 at 6:33 PM

God bless you, Rev. Wright…lmao.

SouthernGent on April 24, 2008 at 6:33 PM

And he says what he has to say as a politician.

Exactly what does a politician say? This must mean that politicians must candy-coat the true to make it go down smoooooth.

Like I said before, does the fact that someone tells you that he chocolate dipped the bullet before he shoots you in teh head make you any less dead?

CynicalOptimist on April 24, 2008 at 6:55 PM

We’re on the same wavelength.

baldilocks on April 24, 2008 at 5:55 PM

Great minds and all that :)

Excellent analysis

It is “unfair,” you see, to have a different opinion than Reverend Wright because, in his mind, any idea of his, especially one springing from his religion—a religion specially made for the self-indulgent–falls automatically in the realm of Good. Conversely, any opposing idea–specifically, opposing the idea that America is a whole-scale Oppressor, a Devil according to BLT–falls automatically under the rubric of the Enemy and will be judged as “unfair.”

Buy Danish on April 24, 2008 at 6:58 PM

AP, the NYT got a better quote the following month:

“If Barack gets past the primary, he might have to publicly distance himself from me,” Mr. Wright said with a shrug. “I said it to Barack personally, and he said yeah, that might have to happen.”

Karl on April 24, 2008 at 7:45 PM

Yeah, and monkeys may fly out my butt.

baldilocks on April 24, 2008 at 7:54 PM

Hmm. My comment on YouTube is “Pending Approval.”

That’s sweet.

wise_man on April 24, 2008 at 7:56 PM

AP, the NYT got a better quote the following month:

Karl on April 24, 2008 at 7:45 PM

ArmyAunt on April 24, 2008 at 8:10 PM

He looks just as white as Bill Moyers. No wonder he and Barack formed such a solid bond. Now he is of to an all white, gated communty? Nothing more exhilarating than spending your waning days in the “belly of the beast”, huh, Rev?
As long as “black preachers” like the good Reverend Wright are willing to coral their “flock”, and march them to the polls to vote Democrat; white liberal media hacks like Bill Moyers will always be there to run cover for them.
If this Democrat primary doesn’t open the eyes of black people to the inherent destructive nature of most white liberals, nothing will.
Brand me an “oreo cookie”.

RMR on April 24, 2008 at 8:34 PM

So. Did Wright say what he had to say to get his congregation to build him a million dollar mansion?

Connie on April 24, 2008 at 9:09 PM

Mike H on April 24, 2008 at 3:53 PM

But, then, you’re not AP. For the record, this approaches the lamest defense of Wright and Obama that I’ve read here.

Jaibones on April 24, 2008 at 9:39 PM

Typical black guy?

profitsbeard on April 24, 2008 at 9:57 PM

And the Rev says what he needs to say to promote his preaching career.

Simple as that.

petefrt on April 24, 2008 at 3:17 PM

Agree.

4shoes on April 24, 2008 at 10:03 PM

Where’s the dashiki, dirtbag? You dressin’ like Whitey for the tv people?

Jaibones on April 24, 2008 at 10:09 PM

He has a lovely smile and looks great in a suit. It’s a tragedy that an obviously gifted man decided to take such a hateful path in his life. It’s a tragedy for all the people he taught to hate folks outside of their demographic anyway; it paid off quite nicely for Mr. Wright, I guess.

funky chicken on April 24, 2008 at 10:44 PM

All those people defending Rev. Wrong..

Listen to that.. Obama is just a typical politician. BWAHAHAHA!

Chakra Hammer on April 24, 2008 at 11:14 PM

This creep, Wright, is the captain of Obama’s swiftboat. Though Barry O was too afraid to wear the uniform he’s going to go down with the boat on this one.

Mojave Mark on April 24, 2008 at 11:17 PM

If anyone wants to vote up these comments on any of the 4 videos of Wright and Moyers on YouTube …. please do,

wise_man on April 24, 2008 at 11:27 PM

This week, the North Carolina Republican Party has came out with a political TV ad that highlights Rev. Jeremiah Wright, specifically, his “God D___ America” rant. The ad, while making the case that Barack Obama was too extreme for America, was directly targeted at two Democrats running for governor of North Carolina since they had both endorsed Obama for president. As a result, liberals and Democrats are up in arms over the ad, even as the Hillary camp plays on the same points.

In the wake of the ad, John McCain and the RNC have asked the NC Republican Party to remove the ad as being divisive. Up to now, the state party has refused to comply. Notwithstanding his disapproval of the ad, McCain is taking heat from Democrats. Howard Dean is attacking McCain for his inability to force the NC Republican Party to take down the ad.

Then there is MSNBC’s blatantly partisan Keith Olbermann, who, last night, called the ad racist and attacked McCain in his “Worst person in the world” segment for his “connection” to those putting the ad up.

What connection, Mr Olbermann? John McCain has disowned the ad and tried to have it taken down (something he does not have the authority to do).

John McCain should be praised for his attempt to conduct a non-divisive campaign (at least to this point). But was the ad racist, as Olbermann and others on the left are charging? I think not. Just because Obama has a pastor who cries “God d___ America” and rails about white people and the “US of KKK”, does not make those who point out the truth racists. If anyone is racist, it is Reverend Wright. I would agree that the two Democratic gubernatorial candidates of North Carolina should not be saddled with Jeremiah Wright just because they endorsed Obama. That is another step removed. At any rate, I don’t consider the ad racist just because it criticizes a black pastor who has said outrageous things.

Olbermann’s charges of racism surrounding the ad are to be expected. While he rails against Bill O’Reilly and Fox News (“Fix News” as he calls it.) on a nightly basis, Olbermann is a hypocrite when he makes these statements. His own show is nothing more than a one-sided exercise in bashing of Bush, the Republican Party and all things conservative. Unlike Fox, which has debates between liberals and conservatives, Republicans and Democrats, Hannity and Colmes, as well as O’Reilly bringing on opposing voices, Olbermann debates no one. His guests every night are the same tired old faces, Eugene Robinson, Rachel Maddow, Chuck Todd, Jonathan Alter and others who agree with him on everything. So now, Olbermann is attaching the “racist” label on the North Carolina ad without any explanation or evidence.

In the wake of the ad “controversy”, David Axelrod, campaign chief for Obama, has thrown in his two cents worth with a comment about “white working-class voters” who will vote for the white candidate (as opposed to Obama).

Then there is Joy Behar of “The View”. This morning, she joined the fray in bringing up the “Republican Attack Machine”, that “will do anything to hold on to power- anything.” What Joy refuses to understand is that Obama is still engaged in fighting off Hillary Clinton for the nomination. It is the Clintons that are playing the race card against Obama, not John McCain and his campaign. It is the Clintons who will do anything to win-anything.

In short, the NC ad, while stretching to connect Jeremiah Wright to the two Democratic candidates for governor, are not racist. If they are, then any criticism of a black public figure is also racist. I would like to think we have progressed beyond that point.

gary fouse
fousesquawk

gary fouse on April 25, 2008 at 12:00 AM

mikeyboss on April 24, 2008 at 4:15 PM

I guess “absolutely not” isn’t clear enough.

Nonfactor on April 25, 2008 at 7:25 AM

What, no dashiki?

Go to functions in one, preach in one, but break out the suit and tie for PBS.

Dubn8tr on April 25, 2008 at 10:00 AM

RMR on April 24, 2008 at 8:34 PM

For the record, Odyssey is certainly not all-white, and might actually be majority African-American. I financed a home there for a white couple, but everyone else I know who lives there is black.

Jaibones on April 25, 2008 at 11:34 AM

I guess “absolutely not” isn’t clear enough.

Nonfactor on April 25, 2008 at 7:25 AM

Quoting either of them from recent statements is somewhat meaningless, after twenty years as close associates and other recent statements by Wright to the effect that he knows Obama has to lie about him now.

Why bother?

Jaibones on April 25, 2008 at 11:36 AM

Esthier on April 24, 2008 at 3:27 PM

(Silence)

Ah, yes. The post and hide…

Jaibones on April 25, 2008 at 11:42 AM

I heard this as a tacit admission of either Obama’s taqiyya, or his own, or both of theirs, the moment I heard it, at the beginning of H&C last night. In fact, after Wright repeated and even extended his comments, with added “giveaway” inflection (I allege), it left no doubt whatsoever.

I’ll stand by the following: anyone trying to express the idea that they have an honest difference of opinion (and not just a foil) with their spiritual protege wouldn’t describe them as “respond[ing] as a politician”. That language attempts to minimize their difference of opinion instead of facing it squarely. And – combined with the comment “He does what politicians do” (what, lie, cheat & steal?) – it implies that they actually agree, but that he and Obama both have to say otherwise for the benefit of their respective careers.

It even concedes the possibility that both are charlatans, saying whatever they must in order to keep the gravy train rolling.

IMHO he wasn’t having any trouble expressing himself clearly. In order to convey an honest difference of opinion to a general audience, he’d have had to choose different words and a different argument.

And yes, I am assuming Wright meant “lie” when suggesting “what politicians do”. That is because, in order for his comments to be interpreted by the audience, he has to be talking about what the concensus of society thinks, and not what he or Bill Moyers (or any one person) might think about politicians. Although he could claim after the fact, “well of course I meant ‘lead the country forward’…and ‘reach consensus’… after all that’s what politicians do!” or some such pablum, IMHO he couldn’t assume the listening audience would have remotely understood this when he was talking. The only clear and straightforward meaning is that of lying for a living.

At last count, society doesn’t agree on much with respect to politicians except that they lie for a living. (Whether maliciously or for the “common good”, is debatable…)

RD on April 25, 2008 at 1:30 PM

(Silence)

Ah, yes. The post and hide…

Jaibones on April 25, 2008 at 11:42 AM

(Quoting yourself is really stupid)

Official dentist-related “post and hide” retraction!

Jaibones on April 25, 2008 at 4:00 PM

Rev. Wright: The gift that keeps on giving!

USBB on April 25, 2008 at 9:27 PM

For someone so concerned about speaking the supposed truth, the reverend conveniently leaves out the fact that Africans aided in the slave trade and still trade in slaves while we abolished it. Guess that doesn’t go over too well if you’re trying to teach racial supremacy…er, pride.

I actually felt a little sorry for him. He looked like the town bully crying “He started it.”

PattyJ on April 26, 2008 at 1:26 AM