Whoopi to Hasselbeck: That’s a “very white” outlook you have

posted at 7:29 pm on April 24, 2008 by Allahpundit

Of what allegedly “white” sin is she guilty? Why, believing that racial or gender solidarity shouldn’t be a top priority when choosing a president, particularly amongst progressives who fancy themselves so consumed with policy and “substantive” issues that being deprived of them in one out of 21 debates is an offense possibly worthy of a boycott. You’re advised to read the extended transcript from the ‘Busters as I’ve omitted Behar’s not unreasonable point that one might as well vote one’s biology given how indistinguishable Hillary’s and Obama’s platforms are. But here’s the meat of it, with Whoopi tying herself in an identity-politics gordian knot by insisting that Hasselbeck can’t possibly understand the way minorities see this election before being reminded that, in fact, Elisabeth is as much a woman as the rest of them. Whereupon the knot is duly cut as Whoopi segues effortlessly into an ageist argument that Hasselbeck’s not old enough to grasp the full significance of Hillary’s candidacy. Call it the biological trump card. Well played, Goldberg. Very well played.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

That’s a “very white” outlook you have

Thats a very Jewish name you have Whoopi. Mazel Tov

RobCon on April 25, 2008 at 8:07 AM

Tool, next subject please

Viper1 on April 25, 2008 at 8:17 AM

A very white outlook seen through lovely blue eyes. They should rename the show The (non-white male) View.

Dork B. on April 25, 2008 at 8:30 AM

That’s the thing. Whoopi and Sherri probably (I’m not sure) aren’t supporting Obama just because of his skin color. They most likely agree with him on most issues. I’m sure they agree with about Iraq, health care, abortion, etc.

terryannonline on April 24, 2008 at 10:23 PM

Why are you making excuses for these fools? Anyway, Hillary and Obama have nearly identical positions on these issues.

Buy Danish on April 25, 2008 at 8:47 AM

Whoopi is a racist. But racism by a black person is okay in America.

pecan pie on April 25, 2008 at 9:09 AM

Well, duh!! She is white.

jeanie on April 25, 2008 at 9:31 AM

Whoopi is a racist. But racism by a black person is okay in America.

pecan pie on April 25, 2008 at 9:09 AM

Hey, now, you gotta keep up with the Progressivethink on this issue: it’s impossible for any minority to be racist, because only those with power and authority can be racist.

Frozen Tex on April 25, 2008 at 9:58 AM

terryannonline on April 24, 2008 at 10:23 PM

Not by their statement on this segment, they are only looking at through their “black goggles”. I mean, there has never been a woman either, so why not be just as adamant about Hillary…because the only real difference to racists is color.

right2bright on April 25, 2008 at 9:59 AM

Buy Danish on April 25, 2008 at 8:47 AM

Hi Buy Danish,

I’m not trying to make excuses. People on the comments on this thread have asked why they don’t feel that way about Condi Rice and I said because ideology. Then others are saying that Whoopi and Sherri are basically voting for someone because of their race.

Aren’t those contradictory messages. If they wouldn’t dare vote for Condi Rice but they would Obama, then that means it’s not about skin color but ideology.

terryannonline on April 25, 2008 at 11:03 AM

Is there something wrong with me, or can I not read page one of the comments?

In any case, I like Whoopi’s nuance. You have to be black to support Obama, I guess.

Vanceone on April 25, 2008 at 11:21 AM

SHEPHERD: But you’ve seen, you know, your entire lifetime you’ve seen people in positions of power that look like you. I, I am- the first time in my life, I am seeing a man that’s running who looks like me.

Funny, as a white guy, I sometimes think the same thing when watching an NBA game. But hey, it is what it is. The NBA is mostly black for a reason. They are the best.

In baseball it’s no longer whites or blacks, but now Dominican Republican, Peurto Rican and Mexican faces that are dominating. Why? They play the best. Well, that and they play for less cash. Sorry harsh but true.

And hockey, well, white surely dominates. But not very many Americans. Mostly Canadian and European. Why? They are the best.

What is the moral here? Many different colors, many different ethnic backrounds, many aspects of life where one dominates the other. But in the end it should not be about color, nor race, nor ethnic backround. It should be about who is the best?

soulsirkus on April 25, 2008 at 12:25 PM

Hasselbeck should of replied, ” Woopi, I see you aren’t being niggardly with your racist insults.” Then watch all the Libtards crap their pants.

Zorg on April 25, 2008 at 12:58 PM

The View should invite Norm MacDonald back for a guest host spot.

gabriel sutherland on April 25, 2008 at 1:14 PM

Zorg on April 25, 2008 at 12:58 PM

LOL! Funny, because it’s truuuuuuuuuuuuuuue!

Califemme on April 25, 2008 at 2:39 PM

As a white guy, of course I’m with Hasselbeck on this one, and yet somehow I’m getting what Whoopi is saying too. I’m not trying to sit on the fence, but I can understand why black people are excited at the idea of having a black president.

As a Brit, I don’t get to vote in the presidential elections, but I have been following the whole campaign with interest. As far as the Dems are concerned, I tend to favour Hillary, but not because Barack is a bad candidate. I just don’t know if he is good or bad, and that’s the problem. How are we to judge? At least with Hillary, you know she is slightly hawkish and reasonably competent. She may have double-standards and a narcissistic streak, but then she is a politician.

On the other hand, Barack is about the only black American I know other than Crosby who is articulate, talks sense, and doesn’t wear outrageous bling. That in itself is incredibly unusual, at least as far as my limited encounters with black America goes. All that has turned a little sour when you look at his preacher, but then we are talking about people he has associated with, not words that have come out of his mouth. The only thing controversial he has actually said was about dumb whitey clinging to guns and religion. If that’s the worst mistake he makes, that’s no bad thing. It could be a lot worse than simply having condescending liberal views.

But I agree with Hasselbeck: being smart and articulate on its own isn’t enough for me. For a black woman like Whoopi wanting to give a positive role model to her son, it’s fantastic. That’s why she enthuses so much about him. This is a guy she would be happy to marry (despite the fact he seems to wear Goth lipstick.) But from my point of view, I would prefer an American president who’s a little bit less of an appeaser and a little bit more of a fighter.

Sorry Whoopi, but I don’t think the positives outweigh the negatives looking through my white goggles. I do understand, I really do, but give the guy a little seasoning for a few years so we can trust him. Until then, give McCain his chance.

dcpolwarth on April 25, 2008 at 4:31 PM

Barack Obama won’t even wear an American Flag Lapel Pin.

But how did you miss the massive Hammer and Sickle hanging from his neck, hanging from the golden chains of Marxism.

Here’s a few Barack Quotes coutresy of thepeoplescube collectivist quiz:

“Our individual salvation depends on our collective salvation.”

“It’s only when you hitch your wagon to something larger than yourself that you realize your true potential.”

“I don’t oppose all wars. What I am opposed to is a dumb war. What I am opposed to is a rash war.”

Of course to be honest Hillary has the most damning quotes in that quiz. Barack is just a lightweight. Too bad he’s more of a Marxist than Hillary is, despite the fact he doesn’t put it out in the open as much.

ex Hillary:

“The money has to go to the federal government because the federal government will spend that money better than the private sector will spend it.” (In Britain you might call this the Big Brother principle)

“The unfettered free market has been the most radically destructive force in American life in the last generation.”

“It’s time to send a clear message to what has become the most profitable sector in the entire economy, that they are being watched.”

“Too many people have made too much money.”

“I will fight against the division politics of revenge and retribution.” (Remember, this is a Hillary Clinton quote.)

“I am particularly horrified by the use of propaganda and the manipulation of the truth and the revision of history.” (That;s what Sandy Berger is for!)

“Why do I have to keep proving to people that I am not a liar?” (Because Hillary is a pathological liar.)

Quite frankly dcpolwarth, I think you should focus on electing people in your own nation who won’t turn you into a nanny state that remembers neither Britain nor Britishness, nor values anything Britain has ever done save giving the entire country away to Islamic radicals and Communist squishes.

I liked the Brits better when they were snobs proud of being British. Now that they have become snobs about being European, I laugh at them just like I laugh at the French, Germans, and Spaniards. The only thing “Europeans” have ever done is war with each other’s tribes constantly.

BKennedy on April 26, 2008 at 7:05 AM