Obama remains oily on contributions

posted at 12:10 pm on April 24, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

Barack Obama keeps claiming that he doesn’t take money from oil companies as a way to distinguish himself from his rivals. However, the Los Angeles Times shows once again that Obama lies about this in a particularly bald manner, having oil executives set up fundraisers for him as late as last month:

Sen. Barack Obama continued accepting donations from oil company executives and employees last month even as he aired ads in which he stated he took no oil company money, his campaign finance reports show.

Obama has taken at least $263,000 from oil company executives, family members and employees since entering the presidential race last year, including $46,000 last month. At least $140,000 has come in chunks of between $1,000 and $2,300, the maximum permitted under federal law.

Texas oil executive Robert L. Cavnar of Milagro Exploration and his wife, Gracie, have helped the Illinois Democrat raise at least another $50,000 by helping host a fundraiser earlier in the campaign.

Other oil industry donors have included Sinclair Oil President Ross Matthews of Texas and John B. Hess, chairman of Hess Corp., a New York-based oil producer and retailer with operations worldwide. Hess, who has given to other presidential candidates, including Sen. John McCain, gave $2,300 to Obama last year, as did his wife, Susan. Hess gave $14,000 to Obama’s Senate run in 2003. The oil executives did not return phone calls.

Only in the Clintonian sense can Obama’s statement in his ads that he doesn’t “take money from oil companies or Washington lobbyists” be taken as true. Companies cannot contribute to political campaigns. However, its executives certainly can, and a number of oil-industry CEOs have already done so. Even as the ad aired in Pennsylvania, Obama took oil money from personal donations, bundling, and fundraisers.

Is there anything inherently wrong with taking money from people in the oil industry? No, except in two circumstances: if one publicly demonizes the entire industry or if they claim not to be taking its money. Obama actually manages to do both in the same ad, making both a liar and a hypocrite at the same time.

Is this New Politics, hope and change, the signal of the political Messiah that will lead us out of the partisan wilderness? Or is this just another huckster with no experience and plenty of chutzpah?

Comments

busted

Roger Waters on April 24, 2008 at 12:13 PM

and the result will be?…nothing.
He can say and do anything, and his sheep will follow…bunch of Woolite drinkers…

right2bright on April 24, 2008 at 12:18 PM

I love the smell of hypocrisy in the morning!

Yakko77 on April 24, 2008 at 12:21 PM

I love the smell of hypocrisy in the morning!

Yeah, on either side, it smells like………..victory.

pilamaye on April 24, 2008 at 12:27 PM

not to mention having a San Francisco fundraiser at the home of one of the GETTY heirs. Where does he think their money came from?

BuzzCrutcher on April 24, 2008 at 12:29 PM

I didn’t know oil and Kool-Aid mixed.

mymanpotsandpans on April 24, 2008 at 12:31 PM

As much as I can not stand Obamessiah… Ed I have a question and L.A. Times doesn’t state either.

Did these Oil Companies, Exploration Companies, Sub’s, Natural Gas Companies, etc., have a Hosting, benefit or fundraiser WITH the name of the Oil Companies on the Fundraiser? I doubt it.

Now with that said, and since I work in Oil and Gas and I sure as hell am not going to go to the left. But who the hell cares who I give my money too as long as the Business I work/own does not HAVE the NAME associated WITH my contribution!

This is seriously doing a left tactic. Thank Ed!

upinak on April 24, 2008 at 12:32 PM

Why would anyone in the oil industry support Obama?

ctmom on April 24, 2008 at 12:33 PM

lying liar that he is. He’s a slick politician, and Bill Clinton made it perfectly accepted practice to lie, so what’s going to change now?

kirkill on April 24, 2008 at 12:34 PM

ctmom on April 24, 2008 at 12:33 PM

because there are more looney enviromental geologists in the oil businesses then people realize. Capitalist and Economic midgets run the show usually.

upinak on April 24, 2008 at 12:34 PM

I still fail to see the reasoning behind any oil executives driving even one dime into Obama’s coffers. Are they paying protection money or something?

Beo on April 24, 2008 at 12:35 PM

I’m sure his supporters will have an excuse or snappy comeback for this. Something along the lines of “Baah, baaaaahhhh!”.

Conservative_SAHM on April 24, 2008 at 12:36 PM

upinak on April 24, 2008 at 12:32 PM

It’s relevant because Obama made a big deal of not accepting money from oil. You are right, it doesn’t matter, unless the lying politician says it matters.

That’s why Rev. Wright, Ayers, and all the other slime around BO matters, it’s his World View.

kirkill on April 24, 2008 at 12:37 PM

ctmom on April 24, 2008 at 12:33 PM

So he’ll stay off their backs if he should become POTUS is my guess.

MarkABinVA on April 24, 2008 at 12:38 PM

kirkill on April 24, 2008 at 12:37 PM

Even if they are Oil Exec.’s, as long as they are not using the name of the so-called oil comp…. it doesn’t matter.

If a Presidential Candidate’s Priest, Pastor etc was telling people to vote for him/her on Sunday…. That Church shoudl lose it’s 501c3.

These are two different arguements.

But if you were a employee of a oil/gas comp, I don’t care where you send your contributions too. As long as you didn’t use the name of the comp. As I would not have problems if you were a construction, industrial, vehicle employee of a large manufacturer etc., UNLESS you used the name of the Comp. It is that simple!

upinak on April 24, 2008 at 12:41 PM

Why does anyone think Obama is not the same or worse than other politicians? I am just offended that he thinks the American People are so stupid. He insults our intelligence on a regular basis. I am tired of him and his circle of friends.

HawaiiLwyr on April 24, 2008 at 12:43 PM

Gasp! I thought Republicans were the greedy, rapacious, war-mongering, blood-for-oil, Big Corporate plunderers. This is all so confusing!

obladioblada on April 24, 2008 at 12:43 PM

So lets see,

Obama says taking money from Dirty rotten filthy rich oil
companys is bad!

But,then Obama rails and Demonizes ConHillary for taking
said money from filthy rich oil companys!

But then again,Obama gets money from the filthy rich oil
companys,ummm I’m Perplexed as usuall in the way the
Liberals operate!

Were talkin Democrats here,nothing to see,move it along!

canopfor on April 24, 2008 at 12:46 PM

upinak on April 24, 2008 at 12:41 PM

I UNDERSTAND the legality of it. But to think that BO and the oil executive are NOT AWARE of the oil executive’s position being politically adventageous is naive.

kirkill on April 24, 2008 at 12:48 PM

The cowboy hat SURE DON’T look natural on Obama’s head.

Too bad it’s not as ridiculous as Dukakis’ tank photo or Kerry’s duck hunting or space suit bunny photos.

Sir Napsalot on April 24, 2008 at 12:49 PM

kirkill on April 24, 2008 at 12:48 PM

Maybe they (oil exec’s) think that if people know, that the American will buy their stock’s. Heck I have heard it all working with and for oil/gas companies.

upinak on April 24, 2008 at 12:53 PM

Let’s see, The Obamassiah:
1) decries taking oil industry money, yet takes oil industry money

2) complains about bitter people clinging to religion, yet attended church for 20 years with a bitter minister.

and

3) complains about America’s good name being tarnished around the world, yet wants to “renegotiate” NAFTA and kick to the curb Colombia’s free trade status.

Um, yeah, that sounds like a consistent candidate.

rbj on April 24, 2008 at 12:58 PM

I am telling you that Obama really believes the rest of America is as stupid as those in Chicago. They are immmersed in Daley politics and are willing to suspend disbelief.

It’s why Obama won’t debate Hitlary again.

He won’t want to debate McCain more than once either.

Just watch.

drjohn on April 24, 2008 at 1:01 PM

It is the same as Obama saying he wasn’t “for” the Iraq war. Many of his followers think he didn’t “vote” for the war, when we all know he wasn’t in a position to vote for or against. And probably would have not voted at all since he can’t vote “present” anymore.

So he doesn’t take money (checks only?) from the oil industry, because the oil industry can’t give it to him. But his followers don’t realize that, they just think he is pure.

ctmom on April 24, 2008 at 1:04 PM

I think it is becoming clear that Obama never makes statements in anything buy a Clintonian sense

snaggletoothie on April 24, 2008 at 1:13 PM

Reminds me of Hu and Clinton.

Here’s a $2,300 bonus and by the way if I don’t see a $2,300 contribution you’re fired.

Brad on April 24, 2008 at 1:15 PM

upinak on April 24, 2008 at 12:41 PM

You are aware that under Federal Law, you have to declare your employer when you make a political contribution? So you are required to “use the name of the Comp.”

The Federal Elections Commission tracks contributions by individual and employer, for fairly obvious reasons. There’s nothing underhanded about it; it’s a legal requirement, and it’s common sense to suppose that CEO’s who traditionally make large contributions (often to both parties) aren’t doing so for personal or altruistic reasons.

Nichevo on April 24, 2008 at 1:18 PM

Do I see a Harvard lawyer from Chicago wearing a cowboy hat???

Take it off, ya phony!

Lehuster on April 24, 2008 at 1:41 PM

So much for change. Why should he be any different than the Clintons? Because he SAYS he will be? We all know where that line goes, so this certainly isn’t surprising.

scalleywag on April 24, 2008 at 1:52 PM

Being proved a liar on more and more issues. Bad!!!

jeanie on April 24, 2008 at 2:10 PM

BuzzCrutcher on April 24, 2008 at 12:29 PM

Tell me about it. Most of Billionaire’s Row is the fruits of capital investment in the oil and gas industry. Getty and Gulf Oil heirs dominate the street.

Also, the Getty Oil fortune funds Gavin Newsom in San Fran.

gabriel sutherland on April 24, 2008 at 2:20 PM

Nichevo on April 24, 2008 at 1:18 PM

You are correct. Depending on the amount, which you failed to mention. I.E. if I contribute, all I have to do is go under a certain amount and in which I do not have to put my employeer. But then again, what are they going to do if I do not put my employeer down? They have as of yet to do anything! Thanks for the words of warning, but F.E.C. isn’t my boss.

upinak on April 24, 2008 at 2:24 PM

You mean the oil companies have politicians in their pockets? This seems so unfair. Why can’t I have a politician in my pocket? Every American should have an equal number of politicians in each pocket. This way, the process would be fair. A chicken in every pot, and a politician in every pocket.

saved on April 24, 2008 at 2:56 PM