Johnny Sac takes on the unions

posted at 2:15 pm on April 24, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

We haven’t heard much about the proposal to end secret balloting for organizing votes of late, but the issue hasn’t gone away. “Card check” would open employees to intimidation from both unions and employers, as well as corruption through vote-buying, by publishing the vote of each individual, which goes against the centuries-old tradition of voting privacy. The Coalition for a Democratic Workplace has perhaps one of the most effective ads in recent political history to demonstrate the dangers represented by Card Check, thanks to instantly-recognizable Sopranos star Vincent Curatola:

With union special interests making support for the mis-named Employee Free Choice Act, or “card check” bill, a litmus test for candidate support, the Coalition for a Democratic Workplace (CDW) is launching a new public awareness campaign aimed at educating voters about this anti-worker legislation.

As part of its multi-faceted campaign, CDW is releasing a new television ad featuring a widely recognized character designed to engage and connect voters to the issue. The ad will begin airing on national cable news channels on Friday, April 25.

Curatola isn’t exactly a right-winger, either. He has come out in support of Hillary Clinton already, but he apparently doesn’t like the implications of Card Check. He provides an imposing and immediately understandable presence in this commercial; what kind of influences will Card Check unleash in the workplace?

This could have an impact on Congressional races this year, and perhaps even the general presidential election if Barack Obama wins the nomination against John McCain. CDW has generated a classic bottom-line ad that should alert people to the danger of this legislation — and ask why the labor unions are pushing it so hard. (via Brian Faughnan of the Weekly Standard)

Comments

Nice the way Johnny pops up before you even get to the video!

Dread Pirate Roberts VI on April 24, 2008 at 2:27 PM

Glad to see he’s recovered from that lung cancer death.

raiderdav on April 24, 2008 at 2:36 PM

Hillary is actually a sponsor of this legislation.

CP on April 24, 2008 at 2:41 PM

I wrote to my congress man Michael Michaud (maine 2nd district) about this over a year ago. His reply to me was a letter in which he mentions “as a 30 year veteran of Great Northern Paper and a proud union member” and he goes on to tell me (a small business owner) how this will allow workers more freedom to form unions. I still have the letter. I tried to join the union for over 5 years(25 years ago) and got nowhere, furthermore I was spat on and called every name you can think of working along side them as a non union worker. I now employ 7, and I do all I can to do right by them, and they make me proud. I am not getting rich off the backs of my employees, we are all just making a living.

aceinstall on April 24, 2008 at 2:45 PM

So why are unions so afraid of secret ballots, hmm? If the company doesn’t know which way you voted, they can’t retaliate against you.

rbj on April 24, 2008 at 2:45 PM

I met Curatola a couple of times several years ago. Nice guy. Definitely not as abrasive as Johnny Sack. I made sure not to crack any jokes about Ginny.

JammieWearingFool on April 24, 2008 at 2:49 PM

Very good commercial!

morganfrost on April 24, 2008 at 3:00 PM

hilarious

D2Boston on April 24, 2008 at 3:10 PM

…perhaps even the general presidential election if Barack Obama wins the nomination against John McCain.

Am I missing something? Why would this be true, since both Dems support it?

eeyore on April 24, 2008 at 4:25 PM

I think that even the staunchest union supporting Democrats see the flaw in “Card Check”. The unions are losing members and obviously, this is a desperate attempt to drum up new members whether they like it or not!

Pam on April 24, 2008 at 4:53 PM

rbj on April 24, 2008 at 2:45 PM

The problem is obvious- if the union doesn’t know which way you voted, they can’t retaliate against you. So they’d like to know.

Hollowpoint on April 24, 2008 at 6:37 PM

If Card Check is so necessary for people electing union representatives, why wouldn’t it be equally necessary for the election of political representatives?

For example, Card Check for political elections would allow street gangs to intimidate voters to the point that they could take over city government in places like Los Angeles. Why should the unions have all of the fun?

jaime on April 24, 2008 at 7:42 PM

I wrote to my congress man Michael Michaud (maine 2nd district) about this over a year ago. His reply …this will allow workers more freedom to form unions.
aceinstall on April 24, 2008 at 2:45 PM

Well, that’s accurate. It does give workers more freedom to form unions.

The only problem is that it doesn’t give them any freedom to NOT form unions.

logis on September 25, 2008 at 1:31 PM