Beat him and they will come

posted at 9:45 am on April 24, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

Hillary Clinton got more than just a reason to continue her campaign from her 10-point drubbing of Barack Obama Tuesday in Pennsylvania — she got ten million reasons. In the 24 hours after the primary victory, Hillary collected a record $10 million from on-line donors, giving her renewed credibility — and putting her campaign back in the black:

Hillary Clinton’s campaign says it raised $10 million in Internet donations after her Pennsylvania primary victory on Tuesday night.

If so, that’s a record haul and one desperately needed by Clinton, who is essentially broke after Democratic rival Barack Obama forced her to spend all her resources to capture the must-win state.

In May, the candidates will compete in a succession of contests that will leave little time for replenishing campaign war chests in between.

Several of those contests – Indiana, North Carolina and Kentucky – are also home to pricey media markets. In Indiana, for instance, candidates must advertise in six markets, including ultra-expensive Chicago, to reach the entire state.

What does this show? It demonstrates that a large number of people in the Democratic Party are not satisfied with Barack Obama as their presumptive nominee. A large number won’t be satisfied with Hillary Clinton, either. But at a time when Democrats could arguably act within their own party’s interests and throw in behind the frontrunner, they simply don’t want to do it — and they want to spend their money on extending the primaries.

Much has been made of the massive amounts of money raised by the Democrats in the primaries and what it bodes for John McCain in the general election. However, money isn’t an infinite resource, and a lot of Democrats have given a lot of money to get to a dead heat. Obama and Hillary will keep sucking them dry to contest the next eight primaries. How much will Democrats have left to contribute for the general election? Will they have gone to the well once or twice too often by then?

One has to wonder about the prospects for fundraising in Congressional races, too. At some point, the contributions to the presidential race starts to take away from the DCCC and the DSCC coffers. If not, and Democrats have this much money around for political contributions, doesn’t that negate the economic arguments they’ve been making for their side?

Comments

Obama can’t win and they are jumping into Clinton’s boat, and may they all vanish beneath the wave.

McCain must be simply enjoying every moment of this.

Hening on April 24, 2008 at 9:47 AM

I thought Hillary was dead…I think the mo is in her favor. She will get the delegates from Florida (come on Bush “stole”, now they are going to “steal” it again”).
With that it is neck and neck with Obama. The problem is? What will become of Detroit, Atlanta, LA, D.C., Philly, etc. if Obama is denied…

right2bright on April 24, 2008 at 9:48 AM

McCain must be simply enjoying every moment of this.

Hening on April 24, 2008 at 9:47 AM

It’s like watch a parade…

right2bright on April 24, 2008 at 9:49 AM

“Democrats have this much money around for political contributions, doesn’t that negate the economic arguments they’ve been making for their side?”

Exactly what I’ve been thinking.

If we’re in the depths of a depression as Democrats moan, where is this money coming from?

Oil rich terrorist sympathizers? Actually, that may be it, unfortunately.

NoDonkey on April 24, 2008 at 9:51 AM

Beat him and they will come

Nope…not gonna say it…too easy.

flipflop on April 24, 2008 at 9:52 AM

Talk about throwing good money after bad…..Hillary’s supporters are in total denial here. Obama is going to be the Democratic nominee. A hell of a lot of Democrats are having buyer’s remorse but it’s too late for that now.

McCain is going to wipe the floor with this guy. And this is coming from someone who can’t stand McCain and has a personal history with Rick Davis.

rockmom on April 24, 2008 at 9:52 AM

The more Shillary insists on carrying on what is amounting in everyone else’s eyes to be a lost cause, the larger a train wreck this whole primary is turning out to be. The Democratic leadership must be tearing their hair out that this lady just will not go away.

Not saying this is a bad thing, of course.

pilamaye on April 24, 2008 at 9:52 AM

Well, with our impending great economic depression and people living under bridges and all. I’m not sure they will have the money.

/sarc

terryannonline on April 24, 2008 at 9:54 AM

Yes, but either way their economic arguments are weak. If the economy is really in the tank as they claim than tax hikes will only send it further down.

Dollayo on April 24, 2008 at 9:56 AM

I live in Raleigh, NC, and I can’t count the number of Obama adds I have seen on TV and heard on the radio. If I have to hear him lie about not accepting money from big oil one more time I’m gonna enforce a personal media blackout.

Yet, through all of that not a single Clinton add. It sounds like all of her money is in play in Indiana and Kentucky, cause it’s not in NC.

JeffC_95 on April 24, 2008 at 9:56 AM

right2bright on April 24, 2008 at 9:48 AM

My guess is that those cities will turn into big giant bonfires if Obama is denied.

txsurveyor on April 24, 2008 at 9:58 AM

God is smiling upon the G.O.P.

That must be it. Not only is the whole Dem primary vastly entertaining, it’s corrosive and divisive byproducts are driving liberals into insanity.

Obama’s tipping point was reached during his last disastrous debate. Now, his negatives have piled up high enough that even the “white guilt” crowd can plausibly deny the Obamessiah without being accused of racism.

Hillary? She seems to think that the “Tuzla Dash”, and “Runaround Hsu”, are just little bumps that won’t come back to gut and filet her in the general election. She will be vastly disappointed.

If things continue and the the delicate balance can be maintained, this gawking mockery will crash-land in Denver, for the biggest, bloodiest cage match in American History!

I, for one, thank God for that. No matter who the candidate is, the Democrats don’t have a chance.

heldmyw on April 24, 2008 at 10:07 AM

txsurveyor on April 24, 2008 at 9:58 AM

But only half the population, right?

geckomon on April 24, 2008 at 10:13 AM

God is smiling upon the G.O.P.

Karma, perhaps?
I’m sorry but they’ve been really acting nasty and mean since Bush was re-elected. They have put trying to win before actually taking a principled stand on ANYTHING! Their passion and hate for everything conservative has actually led them to burn even themselves.

terryannonline on April 24, 2008 at 10:14 AM

Per Terri McAulife on H&C last night, that money was dontated by 60,000 people via the internet. That’s $166 per.

I was in Pittsburgh over the weekend for a funeral and chatted with many of my Democrat relatives. All life long union members and loyal donks. They voiced their support for Hillary but nearly all claimed they would not vote for Obama in the general. This is similar to what I’m hearing from my Arizona Dem friends. These Reagan Democrats seem to be fertile ground for McCain.

DrW on April 24, 2008 at 10:16 AM

But only half the population, right?

geckomon on April 24, 2008 at 10:13 AM

Correct. Thanks for clarifying that for me. :-)

txsurveyor on April 24, 2008 at 10:17 AM

JeffC_95 on April 24, 2008 at 9:56 AM

Obama ran those ads nonstop in Pennsylvania too. Didn’t help him at all. I think voters are smarter than Obama thinks they are. They know there isn’t much he or any politician can do about oil prices. They don’t blame Exxon for $3.50 gas.

rockmom on April 24, 2008 at 10:18 AM

Obama is a little tin drum, ready for a beating.

Whack away Hillary “Krupa” Clinton!

profitsbeard on April 24, 2008 at 10:28 AM

In somewhat related news, I heard my favorite baglady / Representative Corrine Brown say (paraphrasing) “The republicans stole our votes in 2000 and now the democrats are trying to steal them in 2008″.

tlynch001 on April 24, 2008 at 10:30 AM

Bruce Springsteen made all the difference in Pennsylvania. Didn’t you, Boss?

mymanpotsandpans on April 24, 2008 at 10:30 AM

Bruce Springsteen made all the difference in Pennsylvania. Didn’t you, Boss?

mymanpotsandpans on April 24, 2008 at 10:30 AM

Bwahahahhaaaaha! ‘The boss’ is such a tool.

techno_barbarian on April 24, 2008 at 10:38 AM

McCain must be simply enjoying every moment of this.

Hening on April 24, 2008 at 9:47 AM

You bet he is. Right now, his only job is to look like the only grownup in the game.

Tim on April 24, 2008 at 10:59 AM

Does anybody else wonder if the massive amounts of money Obama and now Hilary are raising online is really lots of small donations from lots of individuals? Isn’t there a threshold amount below which donor names aren’t tracked? Could there be lots of dead people in Chicago’s cemeteries each donating $100 to Obama (and each using Rezko’s Amex to do so)? Is the system tight enough to prevent this? Isn’t there always a way to get around safeguards, especially with anything done online?
I’m not calling shennanigans. I’m just wondering if maybe someone who knows more about this than I do should call shennanigans.

boko fittleworth on April 24, 2008 at 11:00 AM

I think its too early to say they’re jumping ship. Lets see if she can repeat this miracle in Indiana. Then we can say this.

AbaddonsReign on April 24, 2008 at 11:02 AM

My biggest fear is the ManBearPig. Yeah, he would be selected, but I think he would unite the dems and then we’re looking at a train wreck.

Please, someone, tell me I’m wrong.

cjs1943 on April 24, 2008 at 11:09 AM

I see the ManBearPig picking nObama to be his VP to give hime the experience he needs and make him look real good in 2016.

ManBearPig wouldn’t have any second thoughts about throwing Hillary under the bus and kicking her to the curb.

cjs1943 on April 24, 2008 at 11:12 AM

Well, the way I see it, the Democrat nominee must be immediately decried in the media as illegitimately selected no matter which of them gets it. I’ll happily do my part – I’ll stop bathing for a few days, put on the other candidate’s t-shirt and go looking for the TV trucks.

Think of it – Obama gets the nomination, and the Shillary wing of the party can scream bloody murder because of the FL and MI voter disenfranchisement debacles and his stark raving unelectability factors, among other things, but if Shillary is instead nominated, get your fire insurance updated and stock up on drinking water and non-perishable supplies. It will really get ugly.

Either way, it’s hilarious. My sides are still hurting from yesterday’s “Red State” thread!

F*** IT! McCain 2008!

Fishoutofwater on April 24, 2008 at 11:19 AM

It does seem like Hillary has finally “found her voice”, but maybe too late to get the Dem nomination, due to all of Obama’s lopsided wins in Southern states and Great Plains states, which he can’t win in the general election. What we need to hope is that she stays in until the convention, but comes up “a day late and a dollar short”, but does enough damage to Obama to cripple him in the general election.

If, accoring to Dr. W, the Hillary Democrats in Pittsburgh won’t vote for Obama, McCain should swoop into western PA in September, and paraphrase the poem under the Statue of Liberty, “Come, all you bitter God-fearing hunters to me, I’ll get your economy going and cut your taxes”. He should also campaign hard in the Susquehanna Valley and the Philly suburbs, and start pushing clean-coal technology. If McCain can win PA and OH, he will be our next President, and Hillary has (unwittingly) showed him the way to the White House.

Steve Z on April 24, 2008 at 11:19 AM

I feel sorry for the Democrats. Caught between a rock and a hard spot.

unclesmrgol on April 24, 2008 at 11:25 AM

unclesmrgol on April 24, 2008 at 11:25 AM

I know my previous comment probably contradicts this but I too feel sorry for the Dems. (I might think its karma but it doesn’t mean I don’t feel sympathetic towards the choices they face ahead of them). You’re right it’s a hard spot to be in, no easy answer.

terryannonline on April 24, 2008 at 11:34 AM

BARACK OBAMA: Presumptuous nominee.

Dr. Charles G. Waugh on April 24, 2008 at 11:36 AM

Please, someone, tell me I’m wrong.

cjs1943 on April 24, 2008 at 11:09 AM

With the spectacular failure of his climate change mandate, he’d be forced into constant debates to confront the science that’s ongoing.

I, for one, hope the dems change direction and select manbearpig.

Humiliations galore for the dems in November.

This is an historical election season. And, for the dems, not in a good way either. The gop is in disarray, but the dems are literally self-destructing.

techno_barbarian on April 24, 2008 at 11:37 AM

Long Live Operation Chaos!!11!

…or at least until the convention.

opusrex on April 24, 2008 at 11:54 AM

I, for one, hope the dems change direction and select manbearpig.

Humiliations galore for the dems in November.

techno_barbarian on April 24, 2008 at 11:37 AM

Thanks, that makes me feel better.

cjs1943 on April 24, 2008 at 11:54 AM

It’s like watch a parade…

right2bright on April 24, 2008 at 9:49 AM

It’s like watching female topless boxing.

I don’t care who wins, I just hope they go the distance and the more they dance around, the better.

29Victor on April 24, 2008 at 12:19 PM

It is looking more and more like it will be a Hillary/Obama ticket. (Otherwise, Obama might get the Vince Foster treatment.) Niether one can easily win in the fall, but together, they will be a tall order to beat.

Susan Estrich is right.

saiga on April 24, 2008 at 12:45 PM

saiga on April 24, 2008 at 12:45 PM

I fear you are correct. I’m not sure Obama will accept VP, but he may be willing to “for the good of the country.” Realistically, he has very little legislative/executive experience, and he could be the first black VP, then hope to become the first black President after Hillary gets her turn.

I still think Hillary is capable of winning, especially after Pennsylvania. She’s not going anywhere, and while Obama is still in the lead he is not invincible.

Scary thought- what happens to McCain if, after watching the Dems bloody each other, and hoping to pick up the disaffected Dems, they offer united opposition? They continue to raise record amounts of campaign cash, while he’s limited to public financing limits? They capitalize on his relative media silence to barnstorm from the primary race into the general, leaving little oxygen in the room for his message?

I mean, who’s McCain going to turn to then, the traditional conservative base? Good luck with that, my friend.

cs89 on April 24, 2008 at 1:53 PM

Obama campaign to bitter working class voters:
‘F*** you, we don’t need your votes anyway.’

OK, not an actual quote, here is what David Axelrod said on NPR

The white working class has gone to the Republican nominee for many elections, going back even to the Clinton years. This is not new that Democratic candidates don’t rely solely on those votes

agmartin on April 24, 2008 at 2:21 PM