Video: Pelosi fights global warming — with Newt Gingrich

posted at 1:30 pm on April 22, 2008 by Allahpundit

Mmmm, that’s good Earth Day. Swiped from the boss, with whom I have to quibble on one point: She says Gingrich can no longer be counted on to defend free-market environmentalism but he’s been all for market solutions in his most high-profile statements on this subject in the past and, judging from his website, still is. Watch this snippet from his debate with Kerry last year to see what he prescribes for inducing developing nations towards conservation. Al Gore clutching Hu Jintao’s sleeve and whimpering “please?” with tears in his eyes doesn’t factor in.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Oh, Newt…

Your name lives up to the size of your courage to stand up against these idiotic liberal premises.

Jockolantern on April 23, 2008 at 4:43 AM

Newt is a coward, running over to the Dems and jumping on this economy-destroying scam – the worst ever foisted upon the public. Or maybe he just wants to get in on the huge money trough this will produce, benefitting our corrupt political class and their pals at the expense of every other American citizen.
Once a leader, resigning in disgrace, he’s now a verbose bs-spewing hack, and a “big-government” conservative; in other words, no conservative at all. And certainly not a leader.

TexasJew on April 23, 2008 at 5:46 AM

I’m out of the country at the moment. What did Newt’s bud Hannity say about this spectacle?

diogenes on April 23, 2008 at 6:30 AM

My 6 year old kindergarten daughter asked me yesterday after school “Daddy, what are we going to do for Earth Day” I suggested we by some bird food for the wild bird building a nest on our porch. She said “noooo, Daddy” explaining that was not an appropriate honoring of the Earth… So I asked her what she would like to do….

She said she wanted to eat edible mud.

????

What? I asked smiling… Edible mud? Now I was imagining some sort of new age spa fad….

“Yes” she said “and worms”, we need to crush Oreos and chocolate pudding and gummy worms “it’s what we did in school”….. AAAAHHHHHHHH

So It’s nice to know that what an environments future holds for us….

Should we teach our kids to love natures beauty and majesty or hate humanity? Are kids not obese enough that schools should use a FARCE Holiday Awareness Day
to further self deprecate themselves????

elraphbo on April 23, 2008 at 8:08 AM

So It’s nice to know that what an environments future holds for us….

elraphbo on April 23, 2008 at 8:08 AM

I guess Earth day trumps Trans fats..

DaveC on April 23, 2008 at 8:32 AM

Thanks 29 Victor! RMR, your daughter is right on her thinking. I do not believe global warming is caused by man, nor does Newt. But he does believe that if we do not use science and many other factors to counter effect the left’s global warming hoax, we will pay dearly. Most of us know this is a scam, so if we do not offset this scam, moaning and complaining is not going to solve the problem. We must keep this enemy closer and give our input with science and other factors if we are going to win this game. We cannot step aside and not do anything. If we do, then shame on us!

txstar on April 23, 2008 at 9:48 AM

OMG, “I don’t like Al Gore’s politics” isn’t a valid argument against global warming in Newt’s world? Who would have thunk? I mean, he acknowledges the existence of a problem and proposes mostly market oriented solutions to solve it?

Oh, you, Newt GingrKucinich, you!…

freevillage on April 23, 2008 at 10:27 AM

And is it a coincidence that earth day is celebrated on April 22, Vladimir Lenin’s birthday.

And it’s only two days after Hitler’s birthday!! It’s like a neverending celebration by freedom haters and evil doers!!11

freevillage on April 23, 2008 at 10:31 AM

I’d like to see just half the money and effort wasted on the anti-capitalist psuedo-religion of “Global Warming” go to getting the U.S. away from foreign oil dependence. How about it Newt? Read Neal Boortz’ post this morning and was informed OwlBore used styrofoam to create the illusion of glaciers melting away. Phony film from a phony American. I knew the movie(Inconvenient Truth) was a winner when none of the charts backing up his lies had any numbers on them. Go look for ManBearPig, OwlBore, leave science to people with brains and not an anti-capitalist agenda.

adamsmith on April 23, 2008 at 10:52 AM

txstar on April 23, 2008 at 9:48 AM

The camel’s nose, under the tent.

Johan Klaus on April 23, 2008 at 11:03 AM

freevillage on April 23, 2008 at 10:31 AM

A socialist and a communist. mmmmmm……

Johan Klaus on April 23, 2008 at 11:06 AM

I was always convinced that Newt wasn’t the sharpest knife in the drawer.

I saw this ad last night and it convinced me I was right all along.

Del Dolemonte on April 23, 2008 at 11:26 AM

How depressing to see Newt buying into the scam and actively taking part….sigh

canvas on April 23, 2008 at 11:49 AM

Newt (the GOPAC tick) is on FNC and Hammity’s show way too much, especially since he’s on the ‘man-made global warming bandwagon’…He makes me wanna hurl but I crack up whenever the hysterical environmentalists talk about recycling and Earth Day. Heck, I did a 10-mile walk-a-thon on the first Earth Day and did garbage clean-ups in rural Ohio with our anti-pollution kids club and that was 40 years ago! I’ve been recycling in California ever since they started the program (20 years now) and planning my shopping trips to save gas for years. On top of that, my dad was a child of the depression so my husband hates the way i turn off lights after him and pull the toilet paper rolls from the garbage.
If my carbon footprint is large, it’s because Al made it so.

Christine on April 23, 2008 at 12:18 PM

I applaud both of them for putting partisan notions aside and addressing an issue that they both care about deeply.

PaulD on April 23, 2008 at 12:30 PM

PaulD on April 23, 2008 at 12:30 PM

What partisan notion did Nancy Pelosi put aside?

Johan Klaus on April 23, 2008 at 1:27 PM

The camel’s nose, under the tent.

Johan Klaus on April 23, 2008

I like it!

txstar on April 23, 2008 at 4:03 PM

PaulD on April 23, 2008 at 12:30 PM

Tell me you’re joking.

HotAireans,

Read Tom Coburn’s book “Breach of Trust.” You’ll learn everything you need to know about Gingrich.

I’m sorry to see you go, Newt, but you’ve given in to some really bad politics.

macummings on April 23, 2008 at 4:32 PM

Red Pill, you infest every topic with the Huckabee ‘presidential’ nonsense. Consider giving it a rest, or moving to lalaland.

Entelechy on April 22, 2008 at 2:34 PM

Its OK E. Something tells me that we better get used to beating back this Huckabee problem for many years to come. He doesn’t strike me as the type that just agrees to simply go away when unwanted.

Zetterson on April 22, 2008 at 2:38 PM

Yeah, I guess I should just be quiet or go away…kind of like what you see in Expelled. Yeah, there’s no controversy there…only 178 unique commenters have left over 2300 comments…

Electoral Compass puts Huckabee further right than McCain on both economic and social issues.

People need to know the truth. It might be relevant at the Republican convention.

Red Pill on April 23, 2008 at 5:22 PM

Environment (67%) agreement
Proposition 1:
The effects of global warming are grossly exaggerated

Your opinion: completely agree
Opinion Mike Huckabee: tend to agree

Other websites and news sources
“A conservative Republican and devout Christian, Huckabee believes he has a biblical responsibility to protect God’s planet from climate change, even though he’s not convinced that climate change is largely human-caused.” http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2007/11/19/huckabee/
” don’t try to get into the middle of the science of global warming. … There may be [a human role in climate change]. But whether there is or there isn’t, it doesn’t release us from the responsibility to be good stewards of the environment. It’s the old boy scout rule: you leave your campsite in as good or better shape than how you found it. It’s a spiritual issue. [The earth] belongs to God. I have no right to destroy it. I think we work toward alternative energy sources. [We need to make it] like the Manhattan Project or going to the moon. We need to accelerate our energy independence.
— Newsweek, March 7, 2007″

Proposition 2:
An additional carbon tax on fuel will effectively reduce pollution

Your opinion: completely disagree
Opinion Mike Huckabee: tend to disagree

Other websites and news sources
In an October 30, 2007 letter to the editor in the Wall Street Journal, at page A17, Huckabee clarified his position: I believe that we must be good stewards of our environment and support many paths to reducing our emission of greenhouse gases, such as more nuclear power and alternative sources of clean energy. As part of our overall effort, I also support a cap and trade system, which has worked well for reduction of sulphur dioxide emissions. However, I do not agree with those who want all allowances to be auctioned off because I believe that will create too great a burden on businesses. The alternative to cap and trade is a carbon tax, which I don’t support.

Proposition 3:
The US should never sign international treaties on climate change that limit economic growth

Your opinion: completely agree
Opinion Mike Huckabee: neutral

Debate transcripts
SHOW: CBS Evening News 6:30 PM EST CBS December 11, 2007 Tuesday I think we ought to have some cap in trade. It worked with acid rain, I think it can work with CO2 emissions. I think we ought to be out there talking about ways to reduce energy consumption and waste. And we ought to declare that we will be oil-free of energy consumption in this country within a decade. Bold as that is, frankly, it’s a matter of national security to get to the point where we’re not dependent upon oil coming from countries who, frankly, aren’t very friendly to us.

Red Pill on April 23, 2008 at 5:29 PM