Quotes of the day

posted at 11:10 pm on April 21, 2008 by Allahpundit

“[W]e need to look towards the future rather than staying in the past.”

“Now the question for conservatives is whether McCain fits the Reagan Axiom that someone you agree with on 80 percent of the issues is your friend, not your enemy.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Too bad I don’t agree with him on even 50% of the issues.

MadisonConservative on April 21, 2008 at 11:12 PM

Who says that McCain agrees with conservatives on 80 percent of the issues?

Red Pill on April 21, 2008 at 11:12 PM

Ronald Reagan……….. pray for us!

Seven Percent Solution on April 21, 2008 at 11:13 PM

I disagree with ObamaClintoon on 100% of the issues.

At this point, that’s an easy decision.

Good Lt on April 21, 2008 at 11:15 PM

Amnesty (and thereby sovereignty and national defense)
Campaign Finance Reform (First Amendment)
Taxes
Second Amendment
Global Warming

…that’s already WAY past 20%. What issues are we discussing here? The ones he says he’ll agree with us on, even though his record shows otherwise?

MadisonConservative on April 21, 2008 at 11:17 PM

The only way I’ll vote for McCain is when I’m heavily drugged, blindfolded, having my mouth taped, forcibly dragged in the polling place and have someone pushing my finger on the touch screen or the punch card.

That’s the only way McCain will get my vote.

Any volunteer?

Indy Conservative on April 21, 2008 at 11:17 PM

Over in the “Expelled” thread, it appears Biblical Creationists outnumber Darwinists by more than 2 to 1. If you add in the other ID supporters who are not Biblical Creationists, the combined group outnumbers Darwinists by more than 3 to 1.

Will John McCain support open debate of Intelligent Design vs. Darwinian Evolution?

Or will John McCain join ranks with suppressing free speech (as he has done before with things like McCain-Feingold) and be an “Agent of Intolerance”?

Red Pill on April 21, 2008 at 11:18 PM

McCain has me, based on one image from Hotair with one caption.

“Worse is worse.”
John Bolton.

Conservatives will fight McCain on every issue that is important. And we will win.

CrimsonFisted on April 21, 2008 at 11:21 PM

All I care about is that he is more conservative that Obama (ACU rating = 0). I’m not voting for McCain because I care about advancing his career. I’m doing it for my own self interests because my liberty is much safer with him as president than either Obama or Hillary.

Nosferightu on April 21, 2008 at 11:21 PM

John McCain will not be the next President of the United States.

But neither will Clinton or Obama.

Watch. And. See.

Red Pill on April 21, 2008 at 11:21 PM

“… having my mouth taped … Any volunteer?” – Indy

Oh, man, you just launched a 1,000 comment thread! You’re gonna be the “Helen of HotAir”! Good luck my friend! :-)

Tony737 on April 21, 2008 at 11:21 PM

Red Pill on April 21, 2008 at 11:18 PM

*facepalm*

doubleplusundead on April 21, 2008 at 11:21 PM

Any volunteer?

Indy Conservative on April 21, 2008 at 11:17 PM

ASL? :P

lorien1973 on April 21, 2008 at 11:23 PM

McCain has me, based on one image from Hotair with one caption.

“Worse is worse.”
John Bolton.

CrimsonFisted on April 21, 2008 at 11:21 PM

Seems that’s all we can do. It isn’t gonna be pretty.

doubleplusundead on April 21, 2008 at 11:23 PM

John McCain will not be the next President of the United States.

But neither will Clinton or Obama.

Watch. And. See.

Red Pill on April 21, 2008 at 11:21 PM

Let me guess: Huckabee will miraculously win over most of America, even when he could barely win over most Evangelicals.

amerpundit on April 21, 2008 at 11:23 PM

I prefer the Buckley maxim of backing the most conservative candidate who is electable. That’s why I’ll be writing in Fred Thompson’s name several hundred thousand times in several states.

VolMagic on April 21, 2008 at 11:24 PM

John McCain will not be the next President of the United States.

But neither will Clinton or Obama.

Watch. And. See.

Red Pill on April 21, 2008 at 11:21 PM

Yup.

Waiting in the wings…

is he who punches hippies.

Prepare.

MadisonConservative on April 21, 2008 at 11:25 PM

MadisonConservative on April 21, 2008 at 11:25 PM

I think you’ll find that Red Pill is talking about Huckabee, who The Living God is pulling for.

amerpundit on April 21, 2008 at 11:27 PM

doubleplusundead on April 21, 2008 at 11:23 PM

it’s gonna be an epic disaster in november, anyways.

lorien1973 on April 21, 2008 at 11:28 PM

To a true conservative, principles trump politics.
McCain is lucky to have us even consider voting for him.
In fact, after all the backstabbing and mealy-mouthing of his, and the parade of crap liberal legislation he has pushed onto the nation, he should literally kiss our asses in Macy’s window for our votes.
Why does that stupid little bastard think is the reason his fundraising stinks? Reagan never had trouble raising money from us. What a stinking disloyal little jackass..

TexasJew on April 21, 2008 at 11:28 PM

“Nostalgia is fine …” Daniels said. “But we need to look towards the future rather than staying in the past.”

Yes, but we can also LEARN from the past, and not make the same mistakes.

Tony737 on April 21, 2008 at 11:29 PM

I’m thinking Indiana would be better off to let Gov. Mitch Daniels go.

Those words will come back to haunt you for the rest of your political life governor, which considering the magnitude this foot-in-mouth, may not be all that much longer.

Maxx on April 21, 2008 at 11:30 PM

Watch. And. See. – Red Pill

Hey Red Pill (cool name), enough people have taken the bait, who’s it gonna be?

Tony737 on April 21, 2008 at 11:31 PM

My gawd…Santorum is channeling me. Been saying the same thing for months now.

But alas…although little by little more conservatives come to McCain, there’s always going to be the McCain-deranged crowd who won’t let go of their perceived views of “amnesty” especially.

And as for “letting Reagan go”…heck, no. The spirit of Reagan will live through McCain. I firmly, whole-heartedly believe that.

JetBoy on April 21, 2008 at 11:32 PM

TexasJew on April 21, 2008 at 11:28 PM

C’mon now don’t be shy and ambiguous. Tell us how you really feel. :-)

Oldnuke on April 21, 2008 at 11:34 PM

John McCain will not be the next President of the United States.

But neither will Clinton or Obama.

Watch. And. See.

Red Pill on April 21, 2008 at 11:21 PM

If you turn out to be right on that prediction Red Pill, I will consider you a prophet.

Maxx on April 21, 2008 at 11:35 PM

amerpundit on April 21, 2008 at 11:23 PM

Close. The heavens will open up, the Hand of God will emerge from the clouds, rip open the roof and flick McCain away from the podium. The Godhand will then move toward Ron Paul in a summoning gesture, then pulls away at the last second, booming laughter that shakes the convention building follows. Ronbots begin calling God a Neocon and are promptly smote.

Then Mike Huckabee will ascend onto the stage. Huck will then call upon the heavens to rain down frogs on Mitt Romney’s head.

True story.

doubleplusundead on April 21, 2008 at 11:35 PM

Indiana Gov. Mitch Daniels elicited several hushed gasps and raised eyebrows late last week as he lectured a conservative crowd that it was “time to let Ronald Reagan go.”

If he wants to switch parties, who’s stopping him?

Senator John McCain could never convince me to vote for him. Only Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama can cause me to vote for McCain. -Thomas Sowell

FloatingRock on April 21, 2008 at 11:36 PM

Oh like Daniels is getting my vote again anyway…
Oh hey… let’s lease the toll road to another company for 75 years and get 4 billion and watch as they raise rates and make 5 times that much… I’m so smart…
Oh hey… now that we’ve got that 4 billion and have the state in good financial straits we’ll… raise property taxes… ooh.. people didn’t like that… okay we’ll LOWER property taxes to no more than 1% assessed value (note, most of the state was taxed at LESS than 1%)… and WE get to decide the assessment value… But… gosh… that’s gonna cost us money so to compensate we’re going to raise the sales tax by 1% AND the income tax by 1%…
And don’t even get me started on daylight savings time…

Skywise on April 21, 2008 at 11:36 PM

JetBoy on April 21, 2008 at 11:32 PM

Sorry pal, as far as I’m concerned, the people who are staying home are engaging in turnabout. And as we all know, turnabout is fair play.

doubleplusundead on April 21, 2008 at 11:38 PM

JetBoy on April 21, 2008 at 11:32 PM

Yeah, sure. What unmitigated crap.
I can just see Reagan signing onto that multi-trillion dololar Global Warming scam like the former “small government conservatives” like McCain and even Newt Gingrich do these days. And I do mean FORMER.
What’s the point of stopping earmarks (a paltry 15 billion dollars) if you’re anxious to destroy American businesses and impoverish consumers several TRILLION dollars in criminal surcharges to Al Gore and his carbon credit buddies for our critical electricity, food and energy needs?

TexasJew on April 21, 2008 at 11:40 PM

O/T: They’re about to show a rerun of the Brian Stann title fight on VS.!

Tony737 on April 21, 2008 at 11:41 PM

Any volunteer?

Indy Conservative on April 21, 2008 at 11:17 PM

Yep :)

Entelechy on April 21, 2008 at 11:45 PM

Ronald Reagan agreed with McCain more than he agreed with the lot of us. Remember that.

AYNBLAND on April 21, 2008 at 11:46 PM

If he wants to switch parties, who’s stopping him?

FloatingRock on April 21, 2008 at 11:36 PM

You stole McCain’s big plan from the last election cycle!
I actually believe John Kerry on that issue. It sounds just like like something that little prick McCain would come up with.
I just wish that my own Senator Cornyn would have kicked his ass into mud when McCain yelled “F**k you!” at him during that scammy McCain-Kennedy fiasco. McCain’s stupid bill literally cost the Republicans the Senate in 2006.

Can you even imagine Reagan doing something so incredibly stupid and disloyal?

TexasJew on April 21, 2008 at 11:47 PM

Any volunteers!
Indy Conservative on April 21,2008 at 11:17PM.

Indy Conservative: Yes,me. Since I’m closer I’ll need
your address though!Haha.

canopfor on April 21, 2008 at 11:47 PM

We weren’t gonna get Reagan this year, folks. Not because “real, rock-ribbed” conservatives didn’t wish really really hard, but because not a McCain-deranged one of them can name who this Reagan of 2008 was supposed to be.

The Dems took out our back bench, and the Ron Paulbots spamming polls screwed up all the preliminary numbers that would let the people who were running have an idea who to get behind. Internet polls were cheap, easy snapshots of the data that could have given the campaigns an idea of where they needed to go. But the Ronulans would spam the poll, various blogs would counter-spam when the spamming is noticed, leaving the whole poll with bad numbers and campaigns with no guide.

So we ended up with McCain, and those who feel that McCain will suddenly step down from the nomination because you are really, really mad are welcome to hold your breath.

Sekhmet on April 21, 2008 at 11:47 PM

AYNBLAND on April 21, 2008 at 11:46 PM

Yeah, and my cat says, “meow”.

FloatingRock on April 21, 2008 at 11:47 PM

As you can easily guess, Rush has some choice words on this:

We Will Not Reject Reaganism

Now, this, sadly, is a symptom of what is happening in the Republican Party at large. The country club, blue-blood Rockefeller Republicans — and there are lots of them in the Republican Party, they were not happy with Reagan when he was in office. They didn’t like Reagan. They were embarrassed because they thought he was a dunce and an idiot and he didn’t come from their stock, and even when he was winning two landslides. He brought with them these Reagan Democrats, conservative evangelicals — and that brought abortion, and that really embarrassed the hell out of them.

And just like Obama and his crowd is embarrassed with small town hicks, there are a lot of country club blue-blood Republican elitists who are embarrassed of their hicks: NASCAR, you name it; pro-lifers. Yet they can’t win elections without them. Have you ever heard a Democrat say, “We need to get over John Kennedy or FDR?” Have you ever heard a Democrat go to a microphone at a liberal conference and say, “You know what? We gotta move past FDR. We gotta leave the past behind. The future is the future. We gotta forget all about this. We gotta forget about JFK. We gotta let him go.”

INC on April 21, 2008 at 11:48 PM

Entelechy: Indy Conservative has been running amuck
on the threads,rein him in,your are only hope. :)!

canopfor on April 21, 2008 at 11:51 PM

Yeah, sure. What unmitigated crap.

TexasJew on April 21, 2008 at 11:40 PM

McCain is NOT going to sign any global warming crapola. I’m glad you didn’t mention the McCain-deranged “amnesty” point too…’cause Reagan’s the one who signed THAT into law.

Stopping earmarks will save the Fed. Govt billions of taxpayer (read: you and me) money annually.

doubleplusundead on April 21, 2008 at 11:38 PM

The people who are staying home are acting like little 2-year-olds who’s mom won’t buy ‘em a candy bar in the checkout lane.

Staying home….gheesh.

I still have YET to hear one, good, rock-solid reason why conservatives like yourself, and others, can be so against John McCain.

I’m very conservative. I idolize Ronald Reagan. And McCain, as far as I’m concerned, truly is his foot soldier.

JetBoy on April 21, 2008 at 11:51 PM

I disagree with ObamaClintoon on 100% of the issues.

At this point, that’s an easy decision.

Good Lt on April 21, 2008 at 11:15 PM

Ding ding ding! GIve that guy (or gal, depending) the gold star.

Bingo.

Bob's Kid on April 21, 2008 at 11:52 PM

Can you even imagine Reagan doing something so incredibly stupid and disloyal?

TexasJew on April 21, 2008 at 11:47 PM

Reagan built the modern conservative coalition that McCain and his sycophants are in the process of destroying.

FloatingRock on April 21, 2008 at 11:53 PM

True story.

doubleplusundead on April 21, 2008 at 11:35 PM

I miss your old name, becaue comments like these prompt me to say “that’s our bad candy”. You’re a good candy, though :)

canopfor, I’m trying but the sweet curmudgeon goes to bed early. Let’s see what he’ll say tomorrow :)

Entelechy on April 21, 2008 at 11:59 PM

And here’s to you, Juan McShamnesty
Vinny Fox loves you more than you will know
(Wo wo wo)
Plantation owners bless you, yes they do, Juan McShamnesty
Infamy holds a place for those who betray
(Hey hey hey – hey hey hey)

We’d like to know a little bit more about the changes you would make for our files
We’d like to know all about what more you will do to further destroy our boarder and our American lives
Look around you, all you see are crying conservative eyes
Are you going to put whatever you want in the law to make it more like what you want us to do at home

And here’s to you, Juan McShamnesty
Vinny Fox loves you more than you will know
(Wo wo wo)
Plantation owners bless you, yes they do, Juan McShamnesty
Infamy holds a place for those who betray
(Hey hey hey – hey hey hey)

Hide your campaign contributions from plantation owners in a hiding place where no one ever goes
Put them in your bank account where you’ve got all the rest
It’s a little secret, just Juan McShmnesty’s affair
Most of all you’ve got to hide it from the fools

And here’s to you, Juan McShamnesty
Vinny Fox loves you more than you will know
(Wo wo wo)
Plantation owners bless you, yes they do, Juan McShamnesty
Infamy holds a place for those who betray
(Hey hey hey – hey hey hey)

Sitting at your TV come this November Tuesday night
Watching the National returns come in
Laugh about it, cry about it
When you got the news
Ev’ry which way you look at it we lose

Where have you gone, Ronald Reagan?
Conservatives turn their longing eyes to you
(Woo woo woo)
What’s that you say, Juan McShamnesty
Ronald Reagan you have driven far away?
(Hey hey hey – hey hey hey)

MB4 on April 22, 2008 at 12:01 AM

I disagree with ObamaClintoon on 100% of the issues.

At this point, that’s an easy decision.

Good Lt on April 21, 2008 at 11:15 PM

Ding ding ding! GIve that guy (or gal, depending) the gold star.

Bingo.

Bob’s Kid on April 21, 2008 at 11:52 PM

And That’s The Point!

R D on April 22, 2008 at 12:02 AM

I’ll get over Reagan when the Democrats get over Franklin F’n Roosevelt.

km on April 22, 2008 at 12:02 AM

JetBoy on April 21, 2008 at 11:51 PM

And you can fool some of the people, all of the time…

McCain is already onboard with doing “something” about
Global Climate Change…

Debate is over???

McCain’s BILL… mandatory reductions… trading offsets…

Please, continue to drink the coolaid.

Romeo13 on April 22, 2008 at 12:03 AM

JetBoy on April 21, 2008 at 11:51 PM

Did you even bother to read the link? You notice how every time conservatives are told to shut up, fall in line, eat the turd sandwich and pretend to like it when a RINO floats to the top, we usually do it? Yet RINOs scurry over to the Marxist Party when, GOD FORBID, they have to vote for an icky real conservative? That’s crap, and I’m not gonna hear the fall in line arguments anymore because they only work one way.

doubleplusundead on April 22, 2008 at 12:11 AM

you do not let your hero’s go. That is the problem with america today. we have no hero’s we have idols. Regean was a hero. We need more people like him not to forget what he brought to the national debate. Yes I understand our present day leaders like the governor wants to bring liberalism back so that the elite can “lead” us bitter, clinging people iinto the promise land. while a spoonful of socialism lets the medicine of capitalism go down for the masses. too much will kill you and your soul.

unseen on April 22, 2008 at 12:13 AM

Romeo13 on April 22, 2008 at 12:03 AM

What I’m saying, or more importantly what McCain says…is he’s not for all the lefty global warming mumbo jumbo. He’s for clean air, clean water, and preserving our open space. Reminds one of Teddy Roosevelt, no? Another great Republican…

McCain/Leiberman is dead, no?

JetBoy on April 22, 2008 at 12:15 AM

The only way I’ll vote for McCain is when I’m heavily drugged, blindfolded, having my mouth taped, forcibly dragged in the polling place and have someone pushing my finger on the touch screen or the punch card and have a gun to my head and a knife at my throat, a very BIG knife. [updated for me]

That’s the only way McCain will get my vote.

Indy Conservative and me [Updated} on April 21, 2008 at 11:17 PM

MB4 on April 22, 2008 at 12:15 AM

Indy Conservative and MB4…so you guys just stay home and pout on election day. Nice goin’.

JetBoy on April 22, 2008 at 12:16 AM

“I’ll have two less votes, for sure” – - Sen. John McCain

Entelechy on April 22, 2008 at 12:18 AM

Reagan the Myth has far outstripped Reagan the President. We need to get beyond the myth of Reagan while honoring his actual legacy in order to see our way forward.

Also, 2008 was a “special” year. Hillary Clinton had been preparing for her run since 1993, and had the machinery in place since 2000. There was no damned way the GOP was running some unknown quantity against her. So which of the known quantities the GOP was running were the next Reagan? NONE of them!

Who is the next Reagan? Bet not a one of you can name him or her either. And 2008 was not the year we were going to go out and search for him among every un-vetted Red State Legislature. We had the choices we had, and the voters made the choices they made. If you think that the GOP should have some kind of brake on the voters making a choice you don’t like, I cordially invite you to join the Democrats with their “superdelegates.”

Sekhmet on April 22, 2008 at 12:20 AM

JetBoy on April 22, 2008 at 12:16 AM

Have fun trying to win elections without people who would normally be the most active and motivated volunteers and small donors. I guarantee the RINO brigades aren’t gonna make up the slack.

I haven’t decided what to do with regards to voting for McCain, but I have zero patience for being told to fall in line or hearing other conservatives get berated for not falling in line.

doubleplusundead on April 22, 2008 at 12:21 AM

Okay I’ll play along

Issues:

1.Immigration – Survey says!! EEEEEEGH!! Sorry McCain.

2.Iraq – Survey says! ding ding ding Yes!

3.Economy/Mortgage bailout – Survey says! EEGH, ding, EEGH Good on tax policy, earmarks, bad on tilting to the left on bailout.

4.Energy – Survey says! EEEEEEEEEEEEEGHGHGHG!!!!!!! McCain-Lieberman is a disaster waiting to happen.

5.SCOTUS appointees – Survey says! EEEEGH Who the heck knows. He is so over the map on other issues I wonder if he even knows the difference between a strict constructionist and an originalist. Give me an originalist. Then there is the gang of 14…

Let’s tally it up

Iraq 20%

Economy/Mortgage bailout 10% (tilted to the left on the bailout)

SCOTUS 5% and that’s generous.

John McCain the 30% candidate. I’ll still vote for him but I’m really not expecting much.

Theworldisnotenough on April 22, 2008 at 12:23 AM

McCain is better than Obama and Hillary. END OF STORY. Bitchin’ and Moaning will not make a viable candidate appear no matter what Red Pill says…

HawaiiLwyr on April 22, 2008 at 12:25 AM

We must support McCain in the general. If he loses, then we MUST support Obama or Clinton and attempt to persuade them on the important issues. More than anything, we need to do what’s best for ourselves and our country in general.

Dr. Manhattan on April 22, 2008 at 12:29 AM

Over the past 8 years, we conservatives held our noses and fought tooth-and-nail to defend and support George Bush. And, guess what? That stink that we wallowed in for so long ended up sticking to us.

We spent so long rallying behind George Bush that he came to define “conservatism” in the eyes of the voters. Seriously, is it really hard to understand why this Primary turned out the way it did – with the Republican Party splitting its vote between a moralizer, an Evangelical, and a candidate who wants to “meet the Democrats halfway?”

Now which of those three archtypes reminds you of Ronald Reagan? Not a Goddamned one.

The problem is not that we need to forget Ronald Reagan. We did that a long time ago, and that’s what led us to where we are today. What we need to do is start REMEMBERING Ronald Reagan.

logis on April 22, 2008 at 12:30 AM

Reagan the Myth has far outstripped Reagan the President.

Sekhmet on April 22, 2008 at 12:20 AM

Yeah, he was just a guy with a vision that brought down the U.S.S.R. without firing a shot.

FloatingRock on April 22, 2008 at 12:30 AM

McCain is another Gerald Ford who will be a cartaker president for the Next Reagan.

William Amos on April 22, 2008 at 12:30 AM

doubleplusundead on April 22, 2008 at 12:21 AM

And I’m between both of you, the guy who will vote but probably retch afterwards. I a traitor to both sides.

The NoJohnnyMac crowd doesn’t bother me any longer. It did at first, once McCain was a sure nom, but watching them be ignored by the party, and trashed by the McCainiacs, makes me wish them a loud and active summer.

With this election turning on 7% of the vote we need all the help we can get. Johnny needs to use some of that ability of his to reach across the aisle to reach across the party instead.

Limerick on April 22, 2008 at 12:30 AM

doubleplusundead on April 22, 2008 at 12:21 AM

Ugh with the RINO stuff. Can’t you see the many prominent conservatives who are backing and campaigning for McCain? I’m with them. It’s you McCain deranged types who are turning your backs.

You guys are simply willing to cede the White House to one of two liberal socialists. You’re willing to throw America down the toilet for 4-8 years. Longer, when you consider the ramifications.

It’s not at all about “falling in line”, or any demands to do so. It’s about doing what’s in the best interest for this nation.

And “staying home” ain’t gonna cut it.

JetBoy on April 22, 2008 at 12:31 AM

Yes, I’m voting for McCain. Of course, I know he’s not worth a crap, but he is the Republican nominee.
But, like millions of other rock-solid conservatives who have sent in literally billions of dollars of support for conservative candidates over the last 30 years, I am not going to send him one freaking dollar.
Look at his fundraising numbers, by the way.. It’s the most pathetic ever seen by a Republican nominee. It’s simply the free market at work (something that McCain seems to be angry at these days)!
Personally, I’m going to have to save up my money to pay for the phony flourescent bulbs, carbon credits (higher electricity and energy) bills and the entitlement bonanza for many millions of illegals that his crappy and disloyal policies will cost me and the rest of America.
So I won’t be sending that scumbag a check, or a scratched-off lottery ticket, or anything else this year.
Nor, it seems, will about 20 million other conservatives..
Maybe McCain should hold a bake sale..

TexasJew on April 22, 2008 at 12:31 AM

You’ve just got to be kidding.

FloatingRock on April 22, 2008 at 12:33 AM

Theworldisnotenough on April 22, 2008 at 12:23 AM

Gang of 14 got lots of judges confirmed that were being filibustered.

No Earmarks

McCain’s better on immigration than the Democrats who have said amnesty in the 1st 100 days, McCain is talking about security first including bio-metric id’s

Taxes, Hillary/Obama increase taxes ALL of them.

Chakra Hammer on April 22, 2008 at 12:34 AM

Any volunteer?

Indy Conservative on April 21, 2008 at 11:17 PM

Dude……….

Seven Percent Solution on April 22, 2008 at 12:35 AM

JetBoy on April 22, 2008 at 12:31 AM

- Thomas Sowell

MB4 on April 22, 2008 at 12:37 AM

Reagan the Myth has far outstripped Reagan the President.

Sekhmet on April 22, 2008 at 12:20 AM

FloatingRock on April 22, 2008 at 12:30 AM

Who also signed the first amnesty bill, withdrew from Lebanon after the bombing of the Marine Barracks….

Guys, Reagan wasn’t even Reagan enough for some of y’all.

Sekhmet on April 22, 2008 at 12:39 AM

McCain’s better on immigration than the Democrats

Chakra Hammer on April 22, 2008 at 12:34 AM

There is no one worse on “immigration” than McCain.

Do you remember what they called the Senate shamnesty bill that the house defeated?

McCain/Kennedy.

Kind of like the way they called the anti First Amendment bill, what was it now?

Oh yah.

McCain/Feingold.

MB4 on April 22, 2008 at 12:42 AM

Guys, Reagan wasn’t even Reagan enough for some of y’all.

Sekhmet on April 22, 2008 at 12:39 AM

Well, at what point did Reagan consider leaving the party and running as a Democrat?
Is that scummy enough for you?

TexasJew on April 22, 2008 at 12:43 AM

John McCain was my 4th. choice of the Republican’s running, but any Republican voter who “stays home and doesn’t vote” is going to give is something a lot WORSE!!!

“Hold you Nose and VOTE FOR McCAIN” in Nov.!!!!

bucko36 on April 22, 2008 at 12:43 AM

- Thomas Sowell

MB4 on April 22, 2008 at 12:37 AM

I usually like Sowell…but he’s McCain-deranged too. And well, it IS going to be McCain against Hillary or Obama. If you want to vote McCain simply because he’s not one of the Dem’s, then do it.

JetBoy on April 22, 2008 at 12:44 AM

As for amnesty which, let’s face it, is the main objection here for the McDS sufferers

Please raise your right hand and affirm the following:

“I (state your name) hereby affirm that I am willing to give up the achievements of US/Mexican law enforcement cooperation, Mexico’s enforcement of its end of US/Mexican security arrangements, and I will take my full and well-deserved responsibility when some protege of Hugo Chavez’s wins the next Mexican Presidential election.”

Sekhmet on April 22, 2008 at 12:46 AM

The Hilly-Barry slimefest will convince enough Reagan Democrats to vote for McCain as a semi-senible alternative, ushering in Bob Dole’s luckier brother.

profitsbeard on April 22, 2008 at 12:46 AM

Nor, it seems, will about 20 million other conservatives. I believe tinfoil-hat Ron Paul got more than McCain’s latest total of 15 million in a month.
TexasJew on April 22, 2008 at 12:31 AM

About two-thirds of that 15 million came from the RNC. McCain’s real numbers – the money he personally is generating – are in the toilet. A Presidential candidate is supposed to pull his party forward; the drag McCain is producing is as much financial as it is philosophical.

Don’t worry though. Every time somebody tells me that I need to put all my silly old-fashioned principles aside and vote for the most incrementally Socialist candidate, that always makes me want to whip my checkbook out and give like crazy!

logis on April 22, 2008 at 12:47 AM

I usually like Sowell…but he’s McCain-deranged too.

JetBoy on April 22, 2008 at 12:44 AM

Thomas Sowell does not have ACS.

MB4 on April 22, 2008 at 12:47 AM

John McCain will not be the next President of the United States.

But neither will Clinton or Obama.

Watch. And. See.

Red Pill on April 21, 2008 at 11:21 PM

Huh? Who else?

terryannonline on April 22, 2008 at 12:48 AM

ERRATUM: “sensible” , not “senible” alternative.

(Senible: a senile cannibal?)

profitsbeard on April 22, 2008 at 12:49 AM

JetBoy on April 22, 2008 at 12:44 AM

Well, that’s the most logical, if unpleasant, position for all of us, I believe.
JetBoy, were you tongue-in-cheek before? If so, good job!!

TexasJew on April 22, 2008 at 12:49 AM

terryannonline on April 22, 2008 at 12:48 AM

With the Pill it is Huckashuck.

Limerick on April 22, 2008 at 12:49 AM

This is from a former bedrock Republican who comments on another blog that I look at occasionally.

Despite repeatedly telling the Repubs not to contact me anymore for money I used to donate, I keep getting mailings and pleas. Most I just throw out, but a few of the most annoyingly desperate I write back on to tell them that I’m voting against the crazy lying amnesty slimeball McCain. I’ll send a particularly annoying phony “survey” back today, with my own added survey questions:

1. “Is McCain a crazy old corrupt amnesty coot? (yes)
2. Will you vote against the crazy corrupt amnesty coot? (yes)
3. Do you think McCain is a crooked liar who gets a pass from the press for his Keating 5 corruption, his unethical strongarming of the Federal Communications commission for his blonde lobbyist honey? (yes)
4. Do you think McCain sold out the country in exchange for money from slave-wanting agribusiness and other plantation-employers? (yes)
5. Do you think the crazy corrupt old amnesty coot’s medical records and his wife’s tax returns should be released? (yes)
- JAM

MB4 on April 22, 2008 at 12:51 AM

doubleplusundead on April 22, 2008 at 12:21 AM

Dear candy, this is a great man. Watch him and come along…in time…

“Senator John McCain could never convince me to vote for him. Only Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama can cause me to vote for McCain.” – - Thomas Sowell

profitsbeard, what a difference an ‘s’ makes :)

Entelechy on April 22, 2008 at 12:52 AM

Candy, the great man is Mr. Sowell – I wasn’t very clear.

Entelechy on April 22, 2008 at 12:56 AM

Is that scummy enough for you?

Umm, Reagan used to be a Democrat.

Let’s also talk about some of his USSC appointments, too….

The actual Reagan, when faced with 2000′s circumstances, may have made many of the same decisions the current GOP has been making. Not all by any means, but more than the Myth of Reagan would say.

Fidel Castro wasn’t dying in the 1980s and furiously trying to grab territory through Venezuelan money.

9/11 didn’t happen in the 1980s. The Cold War in comparison was easier to gain the public’s support.

The Boomers weren’t shuffling off the national stage in the 1980s, leaving room for conservatism to deal a death blow, if they can only hold off the accusations of trying to leave Grandma in an unheated apartment eating dog food.

Mexican law enforcement cooperation was not counted on in the 1980s, and was certainly not the vital part of Homeland Security it has become.

Sekhmet on April 22, 2008 at 12:57 AM

And “staying home” ain’t gonna cut it.

JetBoy on April 22, 2008 at 12:31 AM

To borrow a line of thought from the Moron-in-Chief, if McCain cares so damn much about the fate of the nation, you’d think he’d make some concessions to conservatives. McCain is about one thing. McCain.

Funny how you assume I was in the not voting for McCain camp. I was actually in the yeah, I’ll probably cave and vote for the bastard camp about forty minutes ago. I’m back in when hell freezes over camp right now. See how that works?

doubleplusundead on April 22, 2008 at 1:01 AM

Candy, the great man is Mr. Sowell – I wasn’t very clear.

Entelechy on April 22, 2008 at 12:56 AM

That is such a relief!!! At first I thought that you meant John McCain was the great man and I was about ready to shoot myself. Wouldn’t have done much good though as I am already dead.

Sigy on April 22, 2008 at 1:01 AM

Guys, Reagan wasn’t even Reagan enough for some of y’all.

Sekhmet on April 22, 2008 at 12:39 AM

Reagan wasn’t perfect but then nobody is. The amnesty bill he signed was supposed to be for around 300,000 illegal aliens, and it was long before the security concerns brought about by 9/11. It turned out that there was around 10 times that many who actually applied. Now they say that there are supposed to be around 12 million and although it doesn’t seem feasible that there are 10 times that many today, it wouldn’t surprise me if there are two or three times that many.

Regardless, the illegal aliens that Reagan amnestied didn’t have groups like LaRaza and didn’t watch Spanish language TV and listen to Spanish radio stations. They either kept to themselves or integrated into our society much better than those here today.

My understanding is that Reagan later regretted signing the amnesty bill.

I was too young at the time of the Lebanon withdrawal and haven’t read enough about it to have a strong opinion, but in hindsight it was a mistake, IMO. On the other hand Reagan had much bigger fish to fry at the time. Thanks to him we aren’t involved in a fight against Islamic terrorism in the midst of the Cold War.

None of Reagan’s faults overcome the fact that he obliterated the Soviet Union peacefully. He is unquestionable among the greatest American Presidents in American history for that alone, and that wasn’t the limit of his great vision.

FloatingRock on April 22, 2008 at 1:03 AM

Honestly, the more I hear from the “YOU BETTER FALL IN LINE AND VOTE FOR MCCAIN!!!1!1eleventy!1″ crowd, the less likely I’ll be to vote for the ratbastard.

doubleplusundead on April 22, 2008 at 1:03 AM

Sigy, see if you can treat MB4. He’s going overboard with the anti-McCain posts, and he keeps repeating himself a lot lately.

Entelechy on April 22, 2008 at 1:05 AM

Ain’t it the truth. Honestly, if it weren’t for the Democrats ripping themselves to shreds in such an entertaining fashion, this would be the worst election ever.

doubleplusundead on April 22, 2008 at 1:06 AM

doubleplusundead on April 22, 2008 at 1:01 AM

Now look what you have gone and done JetBoy, You have lost me and Juan yet another Gringo vote. Juan will not be pleased when I tell him and you know how he can get.

VinyFoxy on April 22, 2008 at 1:06 AM

Moron-in-Chief
doubleplusundead on April 22, 2008 at 1:01 AM

Damn! I guess my fifteen minutes are up.

Limerick on April 22, 2008 at 1:06 AM

doubleplusundead on April 22, 2008 at 1:03 AM

Dearest candy, I don’t want you to fall in line at all. I’m not happy with our choice either but the other two, especially Obama give me heartaches about what this country will become. Marxism doen’t go along well with E, no way.

I’m not asking you to fall in line, just to stay close by me. You don’t have to do anything at all. Just keep checking in here.

Entelechy on April 22, 2008 at 1:08 AM

Entelechy on April 22, 2008 at 1:05 AM

I already have too many damn patients! I am treating both Hillary and Barak and it looks like John will be next up. I can’t treat everybody. I am pretty old you know not to mention, so please don’t, that i am kind of like dead on my feet.

Sigy on April 22, 2008 at 1:10 AM

In all these posts about how crappy Ronald Reagan really was, I never heard anybody say how he tried to pull the Republican Party to the left.

Conservatism isn’t a place you try to get to (or get back to), it’s a direction you try to pull.

Same thing applies to liberalism. No matter what path you take, collectivism only leads to one place. And I’m really not that keen on supporting somebody because he’s the biggest believer in incrementalism.

logis on April 22, 2008 at 1:11 AM

I usually like Sowell…but he’s McCain-deranged too.

JetBoy on April 22, 2008 at 12:44 AM

Have you considered the likelihood that it is you who are McCain deranged? Sowell will likely vote for McCain even if he doesn’t like it but that isn’t good enough for you. He has to enthusiastically support McCain just like you or else he is McCain deranged.

That’s deranged.

FloatingRock on April 22, 2008 at 1:12 AM

I revealing that so many McCain supporters think Reagan is overrated.

FloatingRock on April 22, 2008 at 1:14 AM

About two-thirds of that 15 million came from the RNC.

logis on April 22, 2008 at 12:47 AM

I think the reason he’s planning on taking public financing is so that he doesn’t have to reach back across the isle to the Republican base.

FloatingRock on April 22, 2008 at 1:18 AM