Live Blog: Star Parker speaks at St. Thomas University

posted at 7:39 pm on April 21, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

After a series of embarrassing events that had one of our most prominent Catholic universities denying a platform to a pro-life speaker, the University of St. Thomas finally retreated and paid for the appearance out of their own pockets. That wasn’t an entirely altruistic move; UST administrators wanted to have more control over the event, and they wanted to diminish the influence of Young Americas Foundation at the same time. In the end, though, the students at St. Thomas get to hear Ms. Parker and her point of view for choosing life.

I’ll be live-blogging the event in the more traditional, reverse-chronological order style. I’m ensconced in a corner where I can have power and remain unobtrusive. I’m only hoping I can say the same thing about my car. I’ll also take a few pictures of the melee the university apparently expected to come from pro-life supporters. Stay tuned!

8:02 – It’s over — and whatever UST thought would happen when a pro-life speaker visited a Catholic campus, it didn’t happen except for some powerful witnessing. Amazing. She’s quite a speaker.

8:01 – “The mindset of the eugenicists are with us,” in response to a question about the argument that abortion depresses crime rates.

7:50 – “If the Left wins the White House, there will be a lot of dead babies.”

7:48 – Q&A: 46% of black pregnancies end in black abortion — is there an awakening there? “Not when you see their leading presidential candidate.” That gets a whoooooa.

7:47 – Ending with a sustained standing ovation. No demonstrations and no disruptions.

7:45 – Ending on an emotional note. She talks about how her grandchildren will look back on the shame of abortion and ask us what we did to stop it. What will we say?

7:40 – Socialism and redistribution violate two commandments, Parker says. “Somebody has something that someone else wants. That’s covetousness. So we hire a politician to steal it.”

7:37 – Bringing up the impact of abortion on the black communities. “We spend a month talking about black history, but we can’t talk about the 5000 blacks a day being aborted?”

7:36 – Unproductive men are promiscuous men, and promiscuous men are dangerous men.

7:33 – Abortion hurts both men and women. When they start having children later, the happiness carries some guilt.

7:31 – Challenging the feminist you-can-have-everything argument; later in life, these women wind up alone, and wind up more government-dependent than married women.

7:27 – Parker tells a disturbing story about a 15-year-old sent on a LA city bus to get an abortion, and who got a lamineria.

7:23 – Parker castigates Bill Clinton for vetoing the partial-birth abortion ban, calling him the “former President trying to get back into the White House through the back door”.

7:20 – “God is going to answer this question of abortion”; Parker wants the audience to remain optimistic.

7:18 – Parker has a great speaking style, very conversational and engaging. She has the entire audience with her.

7:15 – Interesting point — Parker says we look at what everybody else is doing. That’s why pop culture is so influential and so destructive, especially when so many families are broken. Moral relativism reinforces it. It’s a bizarro conformity, an Eisenhower Era of degradation [that’s my line, not hers].

7:13 – In every area of life, there are laws and discipline. Why do people think that doesn’t apply to sexual activity?

7:11 – There are a lot of young women in this audience, and Parker is talking directly at them. You could hear a pin drop.

7:09 – She criticizes the 60s and its mores. She says that the abandonment of consequences was a false argument. Parker talks about her own abortions, drug use, and sexual promiscuity, and how the supposed lack of consequences is a fraud.

7:08 – What makes America so great? Altruism and ambition. We have to remain focused on what’s right, not what we can get away with.

7:07 – Parker says that slavery used to be legal, too — but it didn’t make it right. Parker also notes the proliferation of POBs: Personally Opposed, But ….

7:06 – A very warm welcome. She says, “I didn’t know I had so many friends in Minnesota!” in talking about the blessing of the controversy.

7:03 – It’s full on the main level, and we’re just getting started. So far, everyone’s behaving. The gentleman sitting next to me thinks that UST just stepped on themselves trying to adhere too closely to process.

6:48 – So far, no other media here either. There is a student covering this as a final before her graduation, and we may wind up interviewing each other afterwards.

6:45 – OK, the guard has lost interest in me. The auditorium has begun to fill, and they’re talking about opening the balcony section as a contingency. No provocateurs thus far ….

6:39 pm CT: Well, I tried to speak to Star, but she’s rather busy at the moment. The security guard has taken an interest in me now. This should be …. interesting.

Comments

Thanks for covering this event Ed.

We could have used some live blogging during the historic events of this past weekend.

Zorro on April 21, 2008 at 7:53 PM

Don’t get tazed, bro!

NTWR on April 21, 2008 at 7:57 PM

So far, no other media here either.

Too bad! Thanks for covering this for us!

SouthernGent on April 21, 2008 at 7:59 PM

Great idea! Thanks Ed! I really admire Star Parker. What a great story.

Terri on April 21, 2008 at 8:11 PM

I love her. As a pro-life Black conservative female myself….I absolutely love her.

Thanks for covering this and good job Ed.

socalconservative on April 21, 2008 at 8:24 PM

Bwhahahaha, so many jokes

Buford on April 21, 2008 at 8:33 PM

I’ll also take a few pictures of the melee the university apparently expected to come from pro-life supporters. Stay tuned! – Ed Morrissey

I think you mean the pro abortion supporters.

Maxx on April 21, 2008 at 8:48 PM

Excellent, nice job Ed.

lowandslow on April 21, 2008 at 8:52 PM

Maxx on April 21, 2008 at 8:48 PM

No, I think they were worried about how we conservatives would act. Sad.

Ed Morrissey on April 21, 2008 at 9:06 PM

except for some powerful witnessing. Amazing. She’s quite a speaker

And now we know the real reason why they didn’t want her there.

lowandslow on April 21, 2008 at 9:07 PM

No, I think they were worried about how we conservatives would act. Sad. – Ed Morrissey on April 21, 2008 at 9:06 PM

Really? I don’t understand that. Please give us a little background on that if you can, especially if it happens.

Maxx on April 21, 2008 at 9:14 PM

I’m glad she got to speak because more young women need to hear that message.

Bob's Kid on April 21, 2008 at 9:18 PM

May God bless the unborn babies that are being saved by her honesty.

sheesh on April 21, 2008 at 9:22 PM

What a retarded answer. Not only Obama is a black racist. He’s also what’s wrong with public awareness of abortion. Unbelievable moron.

freevillage on April 21, 2008 at 9:33 PM

She’s a fantastic speaker – she came to my neck of the woods for a worldview conference, but unfortunately I had no idea who she was, and was somewhat apathetic about conservatism (if not a conservative apostate); those who went with me (from church) were able to go meet her, and get their books signed; I figured she didn’t want to be bothered, as she explained she had to leave almost immediately after her speech to catch a plane.

I hope this draws more attention to her cause.

Definitely look up the Coalition for Urban Renewal & Education, her sort-of think-tank. Get on that mailing list!

emailnuevo on April 21, 2008 at 9:47 PM

freevillage on April 21, 2008 at 9:33 PM

If I read that right, your retort is absolutely right, when the sarcasm is removed. Obama has gone to the mat for abortion and infanticide, opposing a bill in the Illinois Senate that sought to save the lives of those babies who were able to survive abortions (at the time, the babies were delivered [perhaps the wrong word] and left for dead). He opposed it on the grounds that it would restrict women’s rights, of course; as his opponent at the time Alan Keyes put it (despite his tragic loss), anyone committed to that sort of evil – not the right to abortion, which is highly contested, but the practice of allowing delivered babies, outside of the womb, to simply suffocate/die in a medical bin – is absolutely immoral and terrible for this country.

I think Star Parker wins that battle.

emailnuevo on April 21, 2008 at 9:51 PM

Can you post a link explaining in more details how “babies who have survived an abortion are left to suffocate/die”?

freevillage on April 21, 2008 at 9:56 PM

13 born child. Therefore, it is the intent of the General
14 Assembly to protect a child who is born alive as the result
15 of an induced labor abortion or any other abortion and to
16 ensure that the child receives all medical care necessary to
17 preserve and protect the life, health, and safety of the
18 child.

Obama on the act:(from Human Events)

At the end of the hearing, according to the official records of the Illinois State senate, Obama thanked Stanek for being “very clear and forthright,” but said his concern was that Stanek had suggested “doctors really don’t care about children who are being born with a reasonable prospect of life because they are so locked into their pro-abortion views that they would watch an infant that is viable die.” He told her, “That may be your assessment, and I don’t see any evidence of that. What we are doing here is to create one more burden on a woman and I can’t support that.”

Those are just the first that came up in my google search; it’s also in the Houstonian and some talkative guy on Yahoo Answers, not to mention on government record.

emailnuevo on April 21, 2008 at 10:04 PM

It’s over — and whatever UST thought would happen when a pro-life speaker visited a Catholic campus, it didn’t happen…

While, at least they didn’t burn effigies of prominent religious figures or anything like that.

I hope you captured some audio or video. We understand there are no more real Vents but I, for one, would like to hear this woman.

Zorro on April 21, 2008 at 10:07 PM

P.S. I don’t know if they were literally left in bins, but they were left for dead. According to the testimony of a nurse who witnessed the practice:

“I brought pictures in and presented them to the committee of very premature babies from my neonatal resuscitation book from the American Pediatric Association, trying to show them unwanted babies were being cast aside. Babies the same age were being treated if they were wanted!”

This bill’s introduction in Illinois coincided with the introduction of the Born-Alive Infant Protection Act, which was signed by President Bush.

emailnuevo on April 21, 2008 at 10:07 PM

You can see video of Star Parker speaking at Heritage.

Puts Obama in perspective doesn’t it. Part of the outrage over Wright is the MSM propaganda that “that’s black America”. Bull crap. They are complicit in the Liberal/Democrat destruction of “black America”.

Agrippa2k on April 21, 2008 at 10:08 PM

I am a big fan of Star Parker. You too, Ed. Thanks for covering this.

chief on April 21, 2008 at 10:09 PM

Thanks for attending and blogging the Star Parker event. Would love for her to come to Wisconsin – either Milwaukee or Madison.

Wendy on April 21, 2008 at 10:11 PM

So I provide this confirmation/confession. Black voters are choosing Obama ONLY because he is black. NO OTHER REASON.

It may be just as true that white folks are choosing Obama because he is black as well, but for more nuanced reasons (that they do not admit).

Agrippa2k on April 21, 2008 at 10:12 PM

A beautiful lady with a beautiful message. Thanks so much for blogging this event, Ed.

Connie on April 21, 2008 at 10:24 PM

I’ll chime in here to thank you for covering this event, Ed. Wish I could have been there in my home state of MN to see it.

Missy on April 21, 2008 at 10:57 PM

I’m glad I didn’t go and see this event. It’s about the only thing I can imagine that would make me for Obama in November.

thuja on April 21, 2008 at 11:09 PM

I very much admire Star Parker. Her columns at TownHall.com are a must-read for me.

Thanks for sharing the highlights of Parker’s speech, Captain Ed.

onlineanalyst on April 21, 2008 at 11:35 PM

Thanks Ed for making this event accessible to all of us. It sounds like it was a powerful event. Thank you.

nailinmyeye on April 21, 2008 at 11:39 PM

Is it to late for her to announce her candidacy?

– The Cat

MirCat on April 22, 2008 at 5:45 AM

Outstanding. Thank you.

saved on April 22, 2008 at 6:42 AM

“If the Left wins the White House, there will be a lot of dead babies.”

And dead soldiers. And dead Iraqis. And dead Jews.

Basically, there’s gonna be a lot of profligate loss of life should Ellsworth or the Shrew win the White House.

spmat on April 22, 2008 at 10:07 AM

Oddly, MM started live-blogging right-side-up about when the Captain switched to upside-down.

Switch back, Ed, please!