Canceled: Obama backs out of North Carolina debate

posted at 5:10 pm on April 21, 2008 by Allahpundit

The official explanation: “time constraints and logistical issues.” The unofficial explanation: Team Barry didn’t want to give her a reason to stay in the race if she flames out tomorrow, which makes zero sense. If Indiana and North Carolina aren’t enough to make her soldier on to May 6th, the prospect of another debate won’t either. The real/obvious explanation: He can’t afford another beating. Your quote of the day, from the same hypocrites who knocked ABC for not giving them a chance to hear the two sound off on “substantive” issues: “No more debates!” I wonder, are the creme de la nutroots creme who signed this letter also cool with this last debate being canceled? How else are we going to reclaim the opportunity denied us by ABC to learn about their policy proposals, aside from visiting their websites or googling the transcripts of their previous 21 debates?

And before you ask, yes, Katie is heartbroken.

Update: Michael Moore says he’s not so much pro-Obama as pro-Obamites. The more they whine, the more the precise opposite is true for me.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO THAN PROTEST ABOUT A TV DEBATE.

Reaps on April 21, 2008 at 6:55 PM

RushBaby, great day today! You’re in top form :) Hugs,

Entelechy on April 21, 2008 at 6:41 PM

High praise when I’ve been sitting around chuckling at all your remarks today. Thanks, sweetie! As for me, today I’m a little older and a little wise-azzer.

RushBaby on April 21, 2008 at 6:56 PM

If I see one more ad for either of them, I will definitely lose those extra 5lbs I need to lose. It’s hard to eat supper while they lie on TV.

SouthernGent on April 21, 2008 at 6:54 PM

Best argument I’ve ever seen for starting to watch TV again!

RushBaby on April 21, 2008 at 6:57 PM

Cut, run and re-deploy, eh Barack?

whitetop on April 21, 2008 at 7:00 PM

ThackerAgency was right, there is a Bruce Springsteen concert that night, in Charlotte. Shall we take a poll on whether the Obamunist will be there or not???

NTWR on April 21, 2008 at 7:05 PM

Senator Obama is a man of no accomplishments, a man of no accomplishments other than getting elected to the United States Senate, and before that, to the Illinois State Senate. He’s done nothing, he has a wafer-thin legislative record, he wrote an autobiography about nothing.

So when you have such a man running for president, all you can tell about him are who he has chosen to spend his life with. He’s chosen to spend his life with this kind of yuppy play terrorist who led the Weather Underground, and the neo-segregationist, racist, ranter like Jeremiah Wright.

That’s really all we know about Barack Obama, and it’s entirely legitimate to ask him about it.

Ghostbuster on April 21, 2008 at 7:07 PM

I hate to be like this…but isn’t it spelled “cancelled”? Firefox’s spell check tells me I’m wrong, but I’m almost positive I’m right. Anybody else want to weigh in?

malan89 on April 21, 2008 at 6:23 PM

Either way is correct, per dictionary.com, but “CANCELLED” is more British. I use the 2 L version myself.

SouthernGent on April 21, 2008 at 6:28 PM

That’s interesting. I didn’t know that-I automatically thought cancelled was correct.

My daughter and I joke that we’ve read enough books by British authors that honour, colour and other British spellings look correct to us!

BTW, we’re Southern so perhaps cancelled is more prevalent down here.

INC on April 21, 2008 at 7:08 PM

What a freaking wussy cry baby.

StephC on April 21, 2008 at 7:22 PM

I never like Barry since he wrote a book about the “father” who abandoned him and not about the mother who raised him.

Something weird there.

profitsbeard on April 21, 2008 at 7:28 PM

profitsbeard, you’re not married to Michelle O. and writign the other book would not have been politically expedient. No, I didn’t write this for you.

Entelechy on April 21, 2008 at 7:35 PM

Good luck down East! I’m in Brad Miller’s district…ack!
SouthernGent on April 21, 2008 at 6:30 PM

Me too. I always thought you were a neighbor…

And you guys were THIS CLOSE to having Vernon Robinson. That would’ve been AWESOME. He’d probably physically beat up Dennis Kucinich on the House floor……sigh.

malan89 on April 21, 2008 at 6:35 PM

I dug up an old Robinson radio ad. AWESOME STUFF right there.
I love that picture of Sharpton he used at :37. It’s like a Tancredo ad….but even more awesomeer.

malan89 on April 21, 2008 at 6:40 PM

Agreed. I voted for Vernon Robinson.

Red Pill on April 21, 2008 at 7:46 PM

What Obama is doing right now is no different from what McCain did.

Red Pill on April 21, 2008 at 7:49 PM

The unofficial unofficial explanation: Obombma: You, you, sniff, keep that sniff, bitch! away from me, sniff, nose blow, eye rub, sniff.
Ahwaanhaa sniff, she’s so mean to me.

Speakup on April 21, 2008 at 7:55 PM

Graziano refuses to face Zale again!

Ali balks at Frazier’s invitation!

Leonard declines rematch with Duran!

Obama wants to be President?

jaime on April 21, 2008 at 7:59 PM

Red Pill on April 21, 2008 at 7:49 PM

Sorry, but no dice. This is Obama running from the press, and McCain was not looking at that strategy.

Hening on April 21, 2008 at 8:12 PM

Awww, can’t have a debate without being thrown softballs, Obamjeebus?

Sekhmet on April 21, 2008 at 8:17 PM

Obama is a girl.
Obama is a girl.
Na na na-na-na.

Cicero43 on April 21, 2008 at 8:24 PM

Sweeter and sweeter as the days go by…

29Victor on April 21, 2008 at 8:35 PM

Haha! That’ll straighten him out! Tell him your friends at HotAir love him!

Tony737 on April 21, 2008 at 5:34 PM

Thanks Tony, Limerick, Rushbaby and Entelechy! I’ve been around for a long time and used to comment often. Lately (due to an insane work schedule and the loss of my dear grandmother) I’ve been more of a lurker, but I just wanted to say it’s always nice to hear what you guys have to say.

Here at HA I’m actually provided with my small dose of sanity for the day after working all day with liberals who have nothing to say about Obama other than he’s the Manchurian Candidate of GWB, including a close friend who I’d previously believed to be rational. It’s SO frustrating…even if you think Dubya is awful, why would you go SO far to the left in protest? I’ve explained why BO’s an elitist, socialist and racist empty suit, but he just says it’s “much ado about nothing.” I ask why he likes BO so much, he says it’s his “charisma,” but has nothing factual. He doesn’t even seem to agree with any of Obama’s policies, it always just goes back to GWB. We actually had a little tiff today after I’d told him to get his head out of the sand.

I really think he’s relatively moderate, but he’s become a card-carrying rider of the Messiah Bandwagon and nothing seems to change his mind. I feel like we could save this one! Suggestions?

hollygolightly on April 21, 2008 at 8:53 PM

Further debates in the Democratic primaries make zero sense for Obama. Their purpose is to differentiate Obama and Hillary on substance. Tell me exactly what you have learned about that even during the last debate.

Clearly, Hillary has decided to destroy him and he tries to avoid that. Capital gain taxes are an important topic to any fiscally sane person but not to the Democrats. Hillary will not attack him not on that but on him being a black racist or a terrorist or something like that. Why would he give her an opportunity to do it? How should he respond?

Clearly, everyone here would love them to go at it. But it’s foolish to seriously expect them to fulfill every Republican’s dream.

freevillage on April 21, 2008 at 9:08 PM

I was looking forward to heckling them both here in Raleigh. And the RBC Center is a great place to get loud!

William Teach on April 21, 2008 at 9:16 PM

Hening on April 21, 2008 at 8:12 PM

In my opinion, it appears that McCain is almost as much of a socialist as Clinton and Obama. He just does a better job of disgusing it. But a 1-on-1 debate would have exposed him. No matter, it’s all good. It’s all going to work out in the end.

Red Pill on April 21, 2008 at 11:01 PM

William Teach on April 21, 2008 at 9:16 PM

Yeh, why does Obama want to suppress the vote in NC?

/sarc

Red Pill on April 21, 2008 at 11:23 PM

Suggestions? – Holly

Sounds like a lost cause. Let him watch Obama lose and go through the stages: Disbelief, anger, depression, acceptance and recovery. Then try to start from scratch. Good luck.

Tony737 on April 21, 2008 at 11:47 PM

My sense is that Americans were OK with the mean, tough distracting questions. The question is, what is the effect in the coming primaries? The cancellation of the debate is a tacit admission of incompetence. This makes no difference to the children and true believers. But how many of them are there and how blindly true is their belief? The real core is only galvanized by ABC’s failure to fall in line. But how many are we talking about? The demographic peculiarities of Pennsylvania might make it difficult to learn much from tomarrow’s contest.

snaggletoothie on April 22, 2008 at 2:14 AM

What’s with the dad screaming at people with his daughter right next to him? Yeesh.

And the guy who thinks his parents had a better childhood than he did? Unless your parents were born into a wealthy family and then at around age 20 lost everything and had you, give me a break.

amkun on April 22, 2008 at 8:03 AM

Wow, these guys want to run the country…wow…
I suspect some sarcasm in their flag pin giveaway…just a suspicion.
Next protest, we should offer the women a little hair care kit and just a little “freshening” up of the face…they all look like they’ve been sleeping with the trees.

right2bright on April 22, 2008 at 8:24 AM

Interesting, they don’t want to hear about lapel pins, etc. but they are all ears for Obamas’ “Change” speeches that are just empty words

OR

They will listen to Hillary talk about her vast experience without ever asking “What experience?”

Unbelievable!!!

Golfer_75093 on April 22, 2008 at 8:31 AM

hollygolightly on April 21, 2008 at 8:53 PM

So dreadfully sorry about the loss of your grandmother. All our love to you and your family.

RushBaby on April 22, 2008 at 9:36 AM

As GOMER would say, SURPRISE, SURPRISE, SURPRISE!!!

pueblo1032 on April 22, 2008 at 11:03 AM

Fast-forward:

September 5, 2008:

Negotiations for a series of candidate debates between Democrat nominee Barack Obama and Republican nominee John McCain have reached a stalemate in the aftermath of the recent party nominating conventions. Senator McCain has proposed a series of four nationally-televised debates, but Senator Obama has cited prior commitments on October 13, when he will be celebrating the landing of Columbus in the Dominican Republic, and October 24, when he will be celebrating United Nations Day with the UN delegations from Kenya and Indonesia, as well as September 27, when he will be attending the canonization ceremony for Saint Jeremiah Wright.

In response to Senator McCain’s suggestion that Senator Obama was avoiding debates, Senator Obama harshly chastised Senator McCain for declining a debate on September 11, due to McCain’s attending the memorial to the 2001 terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center, and Vice Presidential nominee Joe Lieberman’s refusal to debate Louis Farrakhan on October 9, due to Lieberman’s observance of the Jewish feast day of Yom Kippur.

Senator Obama has also limited the networks that will be allowed to moderate the debates, excluding ABC News and Fox News, because in his view, George Stephanopoulos and Brit Hume would ask personal questions which would distract from a discussion of the real issues of the campaign. Senator Obama has expressed his willingness to debate on MSNBC, but that debate had to be cancelled due to moderator Chris Matthews needing medical treatment for Restless Leg Syndrome.

Steve Z on April 22, 2008 at 11:22 AM

In case someone hasn’t said it: Kitty-Kat.

baldilocks on April 22, 2008 at 1:39 PM

Something weird there.

profitsbeard on April 21, 2008 at 7:28 PM

Mom abandoned him too. And at an age where he could really feel it.

baldilocks on April 22, 2008 at 1:41 PM