Obama back to wearing an American flag pin

posted at 3:34 pm on April 15, 2008 by Allahpundit

Ace spotted it and asked for evidence. Here’s the screenshot.

obama-pin.jpg

I lost track of this very stupid story after the initial dust-up last October. Evidently a disabled vet handed it to him at this morning’s speech, thereby magically ridding it of the Iraq cooties that had rendered it unfit to grace the chest of the Messiah until today. Read this prescient column from the AJC a few weeks ago predicting that the pin would soon reemerge in the wake of Wright’s “chickens coming home to roost” clip entering near-permanent rotation on cable news. Conservatives naturally were blamed for making an issue of this last fall but in fact Obama’s the one who politicized it by investing the pin with such grandiose meaning that he simply had to stop wearing it in good conscience. No other prominent Democratic critic of the war that I can think of has felt the need to divest him- or herself of the sort of symbolism that those small town yokels whom Obama has such affection for seem to appreciate so much. If anything, the anti-war crowd has always been eager to reclaim the symbolism of the flag to make the point that no one has a monopoly on patriotism. Ah well; it’s all just a byproduct of false consciousness anyway.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

His campaign is falling apart bit by bit, so he’s grasping at straws.

macblanegirl on April 15, 2008 at 4:26 PM

And the Dems will still have to give him the nomination or risk annihilation.

JiangxiDad on April 15, 2008 at 4:38 PM

Beautiful. Exquisite. Delicious.

misterpeasea on April 15, 2008 at 4:48 PM

The only thing worse than sneering at people who wear flag pins is actually wearing one after claiming that such actions are what “bitter people” do. I’m surprised he isn’t sporting a cross pin, an NRA membership pin, and a “kiss me I’m Irish” button on his lapel too!

Even a shifty rat bastard traitor like McCain looks noble in comparison.

highhopes on April 15, 2008 at 4:48 PM

JiangxiDad on April 15, 2008 at 4:43 PM

But she won’t, she can’t, let him out-patriot her.

Vizzini on April 15, 2008 at 4:42 PM

Good point. He’s in another quandary. Oh well, he and Hillary are more than happy for these smokescreens so they can avoid talking about real issues.

Brat on April 15, 2008 at 4:52 PM

Rush Limbaugh said this yesterday:

You see, we have reached the point here, ladies and gentlemen, where patriotism is defined as adopting the attitude and positions of those who smear the country and its values, faith, rule of law, military victory, capitalism. If you criticize those things, you are now patriotic. If you hate those things, you are now a patriot, because your country’s not worth all these great traditions and institutions. This country fights unjust wars. This country oppresses people. This country makes it possible for people to have suffering in Darfur. This country enables genocide in Rwanda. This country does all the evil in the world. This country is destroying the planet with global warming and everything else. So if you hate this country, you are a patriot. That’s the new patriotism. And Obama is tapping into it….

Buy Danish on April 15, 2008 at 4:54 PM

Anything to divert attention from his Marx-Lenin underwear…

onlineanalyst on April 15, 2008 at 4:54 PM

Karl Marx wears Barack Obama underwear.

misterpeasea on April 15, 2008 at 4:57 PM

What a pandering prick. (With apologies to real pimps.)

RickZ on April 15, 2008 at 4:58 PM

Not TOO obvious why he’s doing it, like it wasn’t TOO obvious that he conveniently wasn’t in church when his uncle, the “Rev.” was spewing hate. This guy needs to go down, and bring his wife too.

Conservatives R Us on April 15, 2008 at 4:58 PM

Markos Moulitsas “Screw him”.

Entelechy on April 15, 2008 at 5:00 PM

Even a shifty rat bastard traitor like McCain looks noble in comparison.

highhopes
on April 15, 2008 at 4:48 PM

Now, now, McCain isn’t the best, but he’s hardly the villain you make him out to be.

wise_man on April 15, 2008 at 5:01 PM

Yeah, but they only like the flag if it’s upside down. Or on fire.

ReubenJCogburn on April 15, 2008 at 5:01 PM

Does he wear a WWJD bracelet?

Brat on April 15, 2008 at 5:03 PM

Obama thought he’d be so cool
Painting small town folks as fools
The Libs in San Fran loved his brass
Now in November, he’ll lose his ass
OBurma Shave

Joe Mama on April 15, 2008 at 5:06 PM

Joe Mama, for you

The toothpaste out the tube has run
The Schadenfreud’ has just begun
Hope, unity, and change exposed
Liberal year of ’08 is hosed

Entelechy on April 15, 2008 at 5:10 PM

Hubris, race, and affirmative action.

JiangxiDad on April 15, 2008 at 4:37 PM

I second that.

txsurveyor on April 15, 2008 at 5:10 PM

Good one Joe Mama !

JonRoss on April 15, 2008 at 5:18 PM

Hmm. Nothing but crackas behind him.

ronsfi on April 15, 2008 at 5:23 PM

Boy, he must really be feeling the heat to abandon his principles and do something that makes it look like he cares about America. What’s next, the Pledge of Allegiance??

Cicero43 on April 15, 2008 at 5:44 PM

OK, I’ll take your advice and start pandering to those clinging small town, church going, lead packing hillbillies, before it’s to late.

Tin Lizzy on April 15, 2008 at 5:45 PM

Hypocrite. ‘The country is crap, but since I’m being accused of being unpatriotic, I’ll wear this.’ What a jerk.

jencab on April 15, 2008 at 5:47 PM

Quote of the day:

Hillary lies. Obama is a lie himself.

pseudonominus on April 15, 2008 at 5:57 PM

Joe Mama on April 15, 2008 at 5:06 PM

Entelechy on April 15, 2008 at 5:10 PM

Hot Air – come here for the “bitter”, “knuckle-dragger” sentiments, stay for the poetry….

Cooooool, man!

dmh0667 on April 15, 2008 at 6:01 PM

I wonder if anyone on his staff bothered to tell him he is suppose to put his hand over his heart during the National Anthem yet also? If anyone remembers when he got nailed for that he stated that you only did that during the Pledge of Allegiance and not the National Anthem.

JeffinSac on April 15, 2008 at 6:02 PM

So he’s wearing a pin today. Will he wear one tomorrow? Or the next day? Who gives a shit.

Dave Rywall on April 15, 2008 at 6:22 PM

H-yuk, H-yuk. Hey Obammy, Ah’m a huggin’ mah gun.

whitetop on April 15, 2008 at 6:25 PM

Dave Rywall on April 15, 2008 at 6:22 PM

Dave, you shouldn’t look at this as a defeat for your guy. Think of it as a strategic move,..it doesn’t mean he has to change his views on America, just hide them a bit better. I anticipate a rousing version of America the Beautiful sung by a trio of Pastor Wright, Michelle, and Barack sometime before the PA primary. When the going gets tough,..well, you know how the rest of it goes.

a capella on April 15, 2008 at 6:36 PM

Poor flag…all that hot air.

SouthernGent on April 15, 2008 at 6:40 PM

Good on ya, Senator. Don’t take it off of your suits ever again.

(This is not an endorsement of Sen. Obama, only his decision to finally make a patriotic fashion statement.)

HotAirJosef on April 15, 2008 at 6:43 PM

a capella on April 15, 2008 at 6:36 PM

Twist that knife.

baldilocks on April 15, 2008 at 6:53 PM

In nomine Barak, et Michelle, et Habenae Sanctus.

jaime on April 15, 2008 at 6:59 PM

Twist that knife.

baldilocks on April 15, 2008 at 6:53 PM

With a side of salt lol

ArmyAunt on April 15, 2008 at 7:02 PM

Yeah…sure… NOW he puts it on… it’s just a show… next thing you know he’ll be covering his heart for the pledge…

Suppose… just suppose… the unthinkable happens and he does become Commander and Chief… I can’t say the “P” word… how long do you think that flag pin will last on his chest?

CynicalOptimist on April 15, 2008 at 7:04 PM

So he’s wearing a pin today. Will he wear one tomorrow? Or the next day? Who gives a sh*t.

Dave Rywall on April 15, 2008 at 6:22 PM

Watch the filthy language

Chakra Hammer on April 15, 2008 at 7:11 PM

Not to be outdone, Hillary will now want two flag pins. Then, Obama with wear three.

America’s sneetches have come home to roost…

JetBoy on April 15, 2008 at 7:12 PM

CynicalOptimist on April 15, 2008 at 7:04 PM

I believe he puts he hand over his heart for the pledge, just not the National Anthem(At least not that one time)

Chakra Hammer on April 15, 2008 at 7:13 PM

He saw “Made in Venezuela” on the back of the pin, and he felt better.

RBMN on April 15, 2008 at 7:13 PM

Even a shifty rat bastard traitor like McCain looks noble in comparison.

highhopes on April 15, 2008 at 4:48 PM

Heh…would be a hoot to see a gun rack on the back of the private jet.

SouthernGent on April 15, 2008 at 7:36 PM

But will he love me tomorrow?

I know how he reacted to his grandmother’s fears. I know he wanted to pulp-i-fy his college mates. I know he had urges to tear his whiteyness out of his body.

The rage must be welling up inside as he is forced to be a slave to the symbol of G-D- America

Somone rescue that flag!

Barbara Fritchie we need you

“Shoot, if you must, this old gray head,
But spare your country’s flag,” she said.
A shade of sadness, a blush of shame,
Over the face of the leader came;
The nobler nature within him stirred
To life at that woman’s deed and word;
“Who touches a hair of yon gray head
Dies like a dog! March on!” he said.
-John Greenleaf Whittier 1864

Oh the Nobility

Stonewall Jackson. Makes me want to whistle Dixie

entagor on April 15, 2008 at 7:43 PM

He has to be a body double.

Zorro on April 15, 2008 at 7:46 PM

Hussein is turning into a Hillary…..whatever I need to do/say today to get through this cr.p.

geminicontender on April 15, 2008 at 7:48 PM

I agree that it was a stupid issue to begin with, made even dumber by the fact that he thinks it matters. I dont give a crap what he wears. I dont have an American flag anywhere near my person most of the time, in fact the only one I have is the one in front of my house.

Squid Shark on April 15, 2008 at 8:00 PM

a cool thing is that bote of ‘em look like ninnies.
now that’s sweet and there’s lots to go.
this is rushes pinnacle —
maneuvering the demos into openly destroying themselves.

the man is a genius.

bravo.

jimmer on April 15, 2008 at 8:03 PM

You could have taken that screeny just a half second later you know — then we would have seen that McCain is calling for a gas tax moratorium, not a gas tax in the scroll.

/nuance

Tark on April 15, 2008 at 8:10 PM

Oh say can you see?

What’s next, shooting at a gun range or sitting in a church that doesn’t blame everything on America?

Hog Wild on April 15, 2008 at 8:21 PM

Can you say STAGED? He really thinks we are stupid. Geez just because his Obamanots think he can do no wrong doesn’t mean that those with an IQ above 30 can’t see what a blatant show that was.

ihasurnominashun on April 15, 2008 at 8:23 PM

WHO CARES IF HE WEARS A FLAG PIN OR WHO GAVE IT TO HIM!!!!

IT IS A PIN, NOT EVEN A REAL FLAG. IT IS THE IDEA BEHIND IT THAT MATTERS!

Squid Shark on April 15, 2008 at 8:25 PM

Squid Shark on April 15, 2008 at 8:25 PM

Sorry, my hearing aide was off. Can you repeat that?

baldilocks on April 15, 2008 at 8:52 PM

Sorry, those of you who know me know I am not a caps typer. Got a little heated there, my apologies to you all for having to read my angry type :)

Squid Shark on April 15, 2008 at 8:59 PM

baldilocks on April 15, 2008 at 8:52 PM

Heh.

I tend to agree with Squid Shark: who cares if he wears a flag pin or not? It doesn’t change the fact that he’s a doctrinaire elitest liberal who is trying as hard as he can to HIDE his real views.

It’s so funny: in Presidential campaigns, the media broadcasts the Republican candidate’s views while obscuring the Democrat candidate’s views.

misterpeasea on April 15, 2008 at 9:01 PM

He is sooo, sleeping on the couch tonight.

2Tru2Tru on April 15, 2008 at 9:42 PM

Were it not so sickeningly cynical, it’d almost be mildly amusing.

Almost.

SuperCool on April 15, 2008 at 9:52 PM

hmmm – I’m not so sure about this.

Let’s take a closer look!!!

/satire

uptight on April 15, 2008 at 10:02 PM

I’ll buy it when I see Rev. Wright and Michelle Obama wearing one too…

AUINSC on April 15, 2008 at 10:04 PM

Very interesting timing. I am not falling for it.

allrsn on April 15, 2008 at 10:11 PM

Next, a Chicken Inspector No. 29 button?

For all that roosting coming.

profitsbeard on April 15, 2008 at 10:12 PM

PLEASE!!!!!!!! Let Obama win the nomination. We are talking Reagan vs Mondale numbers.

AnthonyK on April 15, 2008 at 10:25 PM

I didn’t care about his not wearing a flag pin before – it’s an accessory. The only reason I care now is that it shouts “I’m a pandering phony” at number 10 on the volume dial.

inmypajamas on April 15, 2008 at 10:25 PM

Dr. Sanity (Pat Santy) says that Obama is “tedious and dangerous”.

onlineanalyst on April 15, 2008 at 11:20 PM

Barry O is such toast.

Mojave Mark on April 16, 2008 at 12:12 AM

inmypajamas on April 15, 2008 at 10:25 PM

Short: Bingo.

Long: The fact that he didn’t wear one wasn’t SO offensive, though it’s a mite clueless. Or is it, his core constituency probably wouldn’t be caught dead with one. It was his self-righteous explanation that got me. Not so much angry, as incredulous, that he would pick that fight. But again, think of his core constituency.

But, OK, having picked that fight, having stated that principle, shouldn’t you stick with it, so your base doesn’t think you’re an empty suit too?

But no, he’s so completely willing to compromise his “principles,” such as they are. To pander. To people it’s probably too late to try to cultivate.

Post Turtle.

misterpeasea on April 16, 2008 at 12:12 AM

Barack X — The videos

My brother John and I made 2 videos last night discussing “Bittergate” and how it’s not going to play well in Pennsylvania. Since we are both spent a lot of time in Pennsylvania in our youths and since I live there right now, we definitely know of what we speak. We also tied-in the Reverend Wright and William Ayers stuff, as well as the words of esteemed African-American Ph.D. Thomas Sowell who discusses the concept of Barack, himself, being a lie.
We have named Barack “Barack X,” in honor of the late Malcolm X and Barack’s affinity for him, as well as Barack’s numerous radical associations. And to highlight this new name we have included some funny footage of the Saturday Night Live character (played by Chris Rock) “Nat X.”
I should also mention that John is very conservative, so you can get a Republican perspective on Barack Obama and what we’ll be up against if Obama is named our nominee and the GOP is facing us down instead of other Dems who don’t want to hurt each others’ feelings too much.
The videos are informative and entertaining. I’m on via speakerphone and John handles the hosting/on-camera duties. Check them out and have a laugh. Total running time is about 20 minutes, but it goes fast.
Instead of linking to them individually I’ll just put the link to our site where we have them both posted:
Thanks and have a great night.
Paul F. Villarreal AKA “Universal” AKA “RokSki”

PS: I still have to put up the diaries which had the links to the Obama/Wright/9-11 ‘campaign ad’ video that got me kicked off of MyDD.com
As I told Ed before, I am a Democrat. But I — like many other Clinton supporters and many other sane Democrats — are SO DAMN SICK of the media (yes, I understand now what conservatives have said about the ‘liberal media’) and the thug tactics of the Obama supporters (the formula is simple: if you criticize Obama, you’re a racist) that many of us now get our news from Limbaugh, Hannity, Hot Air, etc.
I actually have considered switching parties, and I am not alone. If my party is stupid enough to saddle-up with this huckster, then I’m not sure it represents me any longer.

We’ll see.

PhoenixUniversal on April 16, 2008 at 1:19 AM

I have never worn a flag lapel pin. Ever!

But I am a former Marine, I am former Air Force Special Operations, I do have old glory flying from a shiny flag pole, I am a gun owner, I am not religious but I am a firm believer in having a conservative moral compass.

When my girlfriend became pregnant 27 years ago I refused to get an abortion with her and my son is a former olympic boxer.

I don’t support illegal immigration, I have a problem with shipping jobs overseas, and I am happy not bitter.

I want Obama to know that I am happy that he has decided to wear his flag pin again. I proves to me that he is a two faced liar who does not have the courage of his convictions and he is no different than Hillary.

When Obama talks about CHANGE he is talking about his ability to become a chameleon. That’s not CHANGE.

That’s the same old shit, different day politics.

McCain is imperfect, but compared to the two morons running on the CHANGE ticket, I will gladly eat the peanuts out of his shit before I will vote for them.

Sorry for the graphic diatribe but this presidential race makes me want to puke!

Allow me to post a breath of fresh air that I read over at Blackfive….

It’s titled AN AUSSIE”S RESPECT…

Gentlemen

I am an Australian and my son is an Australian – as far as we are concerned there is no place on God’s earth better than Australia , and there are no people better than Australians.

That was until the past week or so.

My son is in the Australian Army and he is currently on deployment in Iraq . I can not go into his duties in great depth, but shall we say that he and his fellow army buddies are on a glorified guard duty looking after the Australian Embassy. They don’t go out looking for “action”, though it is a different story in Afghanistan , there the Aussie troops chase the baddies over the hills and into the valleys..

My son and I just ended a long ‘phone conversation and here are some of his comments, believe me this is what he said. We have all seen the bullshit emails written by some clown in his lounge room pretending to be at the coal face, but this is what was said.:

“Before I came over here I thought we (the Australian Army) were pretty shit hot….. was I ever wrong!….The Yanks (I hope you don’t mind me using that word) are so professional from the top to the bottom that it is almost embarrassing to be in their company, and to call yourself a soldier….don’t get me wrong, we are good at what we do but the Yanks are so much better…..they are complete at what they do, how they do it and their attitude is awesome….they don’t complain they just get on with the job and they do it right.

“I carry a Minimi (SAW) so I am not real worried about a confrontation but I tell you I feel safer just knowing that the US Marines are close by….If we got into trouble I know that our boys would come running and we could deal with it but they would probably be passed by a load of Hummers. No questions asked, no glory sought, the Americans would just fight with us and for us because that is their nature, to protect those in need of protection.

“We use the American Mess so you could say that we are fed by the Americans…..they have every right to be pissed at that but they don’t bitch about that they just make us feel as welcome as possible….what gets to me is that the Yanks don’t walk around with a “we are better than you attitude” and they could because they are, they treat us as equals and as brothers in arms. If nothing else, coming here has taught me that the Americans are a truly great Nation and a truly great bunch of people.

“Let’s face it they don’t HAVE to be here, they could stay in America and beat the shit out of anyone who threatened them, BUT THEY ARE HERE because they believe they should be here, and the Iraqis would be screwed if they weren’t here…..When I come home, you and I we are going to the US, we will buy some bikes and we are going riding….”

The reason why I am sharing this with you is because I realize that you (as a nation) must get pretty pissed with all the criticism you receive by the so-called “know it alls” who are sitting at home – safe. The reality is that they are safe, just as I am, because of America . If the world went arse up tomorrow there is little we ( Australia ) could do about it, but I know that the Americans would be there putting themselves on the line for others. That to me is the sign of greatness.

The most precious thing in my life is my son, I look at him and I thank God that I am fortunate enough to be able to spend time in his company. We laugh, we discuss, we argue, we dummy spit, we have the same blood. I am not happy that he is where he is but that is his duty. He joined the Army to protect and to defend, not to play games. I mightn’t like it but I accept it.

My reasons for not liking it are selfish and self centered. I felt assured that he would be safe because he is in a well trained army with an excellent record, BUT NOW, I feel a whole lot better knowing that he is with your sons, daughters, brothers and sisters.

Whilst he was growing up, I was always there to look after him, I would not let harm befall him and I would always put myself before him to protect him. I can’t do that now. When it comes to looking after him now he and his mates will do the job, but also THANK GOD FOR AMERICA.

Gentlemen, I have rambled on for too long. But as I finish I say to you, as a foreigner and outsider, a nation is only a collection of its people and its attitude is the attitude of its people, collectively and as individuals. I am really glad you are here on this Earth and I respect you as a nation and as people.

Stand up and feel proud because you deserve it, there is no one else who will do what America does without question. The next time someone howls you down, take some comfort in the fact that America is defending their right to act like an idiot.

Finally, thank you for looking after my son.

Peter Turner

In my heart of hearts I know that Obama and Clinton couldn’t relate to this letter if someone had a gun to their collective heads.

Geez I love my country so much it almost hurts. How can these turds on the left sleep at night?

winemkr on April 16, 2008 at 1:19 AM

How low. Putting a disabled Vet up to that so it can’t be criticized. “It’s the Chicago way”. He learned from the best.

LtE126 on April 16, 2008 at 7:38 AM

A few more gaffes like last week, and Obama will be coming out at the Democratic National Convention in Denver doing a recreation of James Cagney’s title production number from “Yankee Doodle Dandy”.

jon1979 on April 16, 2008 at 7:50 AM

Patriot811: Obambi the Post Turtle. Love it! The perfect metaphor!

I’m going to send that story to a few people I know who forward everything they get to hundreds of people (drives me crazy, actually–I keep telling them, “If it’s not worth putting a stamp on it, don’t send it”), and that’ll get it going around the country in no time.

You want to know how Obambi got up on top of that post? It’s his voice. He’s got that deep, reassuring baritone that just hypnotizes people. It doesn’t matter what he says; they just love hearing him saying it.

But once they start thinking of Obambi as the Post Turtle, even the gullible will start to snicker. . .

MrLynn on April 16, 2008 at 9:02 AM

winemkr on April 16, 2008 at 1:19 AM

Great post (despite the peanuts). Thanks, and thanks for your service. From everything I’ve seen from Americans in Iraq and Afghanistan, the Aussie is right on.

You are right: Obambi and Missus Slick aren’t worth the toenail of one of those guys.

MrLynn on April 16, 2008 at 9:10 AM

Sure. Now he wears the pin. But on his wrist he has a “WWJD?” bracelet. In this case, it means, “What would Jeremiah do?”

NNtrancer on April 16, 2008 at 2:40 PM

I just read on a Foxnews blog, but couldn’t confirm, that there are pics of him right after the speech and he had already taken the pin off. Guess it really was burning him.

Buttercup on April 16, 2008 at 6:02 PM

The pin is probably burning a hole in his skinny chest, like a crucifix burns on a vampire. If he makes it to the presidency he’ll make us pay for this indignity he’s suffering by having to wear the pin. His wife, the lovely Michelle will have some nasty punisment for the occasion.

UnEasyRider on April 16, 2008 at 6:04 PM

Actually, I think it was actually a pledge pin

uptight on April 16, 2008 at 9:08 PM