Obama back on the offensive (Video added)

posted at 10:08 am on April 14, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

… “Offensive” being a word with two different meanings, and both are applicable here. Chris Cillizza reported from the Compassion Forum last night that Barack Obama intends on clinging to his liberal elitism and hoping to sell it to the benighted masses. In fact, Obama tried to convince middle Americans that he meant his comments as praise, not condemnation:

Sen. Barack Obama sounded a defiant note tonight when asked during a candidate forum about whether his words to a group of San Francisco donors pegged him as an elitist who is out of touch with the average voter.

“My words may have been clumsy, which happens surprisingly often on a presidential campaign,” Obama said, a remark that drew laughter from the crowd assembled at Messiah College for the “Compassion Forum”. Obama added that he had meant to tout — not demean — the redemptive power of religion for those facing hardship. “Religion is a bulwark,” Obama said. “What I was referring to was in no way demeaning a faith that I myself embrace.”

He repeatedly drew on his own life experience as a community organizer as a testament to the deep respect he has for people of faith. “I have been working in churches since I got out of college,” Obama said at one point.

Really! Well, let’s take another look at the statement to see what else he believes is a bulwark:

And it’s not surprising then they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren’t like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations.

In order to accept that Obama meant religion served as a bulwark for honest folk in hard economic circumstances, this is what else serves as a bulwark:

• Guns – Well, Obama could make up some ground if he actually embraced gun rights, but his record proves unreliable on this point.
  • Xenophobia – Is Obama endorsing bigotry as a “bulwark”? That’s a kind of race debate we hadn’t expected — nor do we want.
  • Protectionism and populism – Unfortunately, Obama’s track record on this is clear; he not only believes in protectionism, he’s running explicitly on that platform.

Meanwhile, Obama isn’t alone on the offensive. William Kristol finds some similarity between Obama and another deep political philosopher of the 19th century, a connection made by more than a few bloggers over the weekend:

“Religious suffering is at the same time an expression of real suffering and a protest against real suffering. Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the sentiment of a heartless world, and the soul of a soulless condition. It is the opium of the people.”

Or, more succinctly, and in the original German in which Marx somehow always sounds better: “Die Religion … ist das Opium des Volkes.”

Now, this is a point of view with a long intellectual pedigree prior to Marx, and many vocal adherents continuing into the 21st century. I don’t believe the claim is true, but it’s certainly worth considering, in college classrooms and beyond.

But it’s one thing for a German thinker to assert that “religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature.” It’s another thing for an American presidential candidate to claim that we “cling to … religion” out of economic frustration.

If Democrats wanted to tear down the popular image of their party as out-of-touch liberal elitists and crypto-Marxists, Obama may have set them back decades. His remarks may have made him the George McGovern of today, by insisting on themes that even McGovern rejects now. The religious tweak has brought Karl Marx completely out of the closet and into the mainstream debate over Obama’s real beliefs about politics and the American people.

November looks more and more grim for Democrats with every Obama shift on these comments. He has singlehandedly put the superdelegates back in play, and made it very unlikely that they will settle on a candidate before the actual convention in Denver. With this stupidity, they now have to wait as long as possible to see whether Obama’s self-destructive tendencies get any worse.

Update: Here’s the video from his appearance in Steeltown regarding “disingenuous” remarks made by Hillary Clinton, courtesy of Allahpundit. Pay attention about 3:30 or so:

Comments

“… Obama intends on clinging to his liberal elitism and hoping to sell it to the benighted masses.”

As I’ve said before, this guy thinks he’s a modern day Solon. What a phoney.

Tony737 on April 14, 2008 at 10:13 AM

“… insisting on themes that even McGovern rejects now.”

You know ya gotta be a ‘falling off the edge of the earth lib’ if *George McGovern* thinks you’re too far to the left!

Tony737 on April 14, 2008 at 10:17 AM

I wouldn’t be so sure Ed. The Dems seem to like how he is fighting back.

terryannonline on April 14, 2008 at 10:17 AM

The “elitist” shtick might work against Obama if Ronald Reagan was the Republican nomination.

Since washing out of the Navy, McCain has done everything he could to live a life of luxury, including marrying for money and helping out corrupt bankers.

Better get a new pitch…grampa McCain doesn’t look very good on a horse.

alphie on April 14, 2008 at 10:18 AM

Xenophobia

You mean like Rev. Wright’s “hate whitey” sermons?

rockhauler on April 14, 2008 at 10:19 AM

Well, I thought he was a phoney, until he came out clearly with a platform based partly on Marxism, and partly on liberal condescension to their perceived inferiors, the masses.

Now he’s playing it straight.

Jaibones on April 14, 2008 at 10:20 AM

might as well nominated someone as unpopular as newt to run against Obama, might be only chance to get someone like that in whitehouse. On other hand, if country is much more anti-repub. and that mood could get a loon like Obama elected then we have right candidate to avoid that I guess.

jp on April 14, 2008 at 10:23 AM

I wouldn’t be so sure Ed. The Dems seem to like how he is fighting back.

terryannonline on April 14, 2008 at 10:17 AM

the real question is if blue collar Dems and Moderates like it? that is the key voting block, assuming conservatives come out to beat him and don’t do something stupid like voting 3rd party.

jp on April 14, 2008 at 10:25 AM

If we’re still talking about this by tomorrow afternoon then it will start to backfire. You can’t just sit back and watch Obama destroy himself because there are too many people who won’t allow that to happen. He is also too good at making people pivot into his position. You have to hijack the media cycle at the point people stop caring. If Team McCain was smart they would schedule a long sit down interview with a friendly venue tonight or tomorrow morning, announce some policy innovation, and grab some headlines. Obama’s gaffe won’t go away but you have to remove some of the pressure.

ninjapirate on April 14, 2008 at 10:26 AM

This is where the training of Rev Write comes in. Megalomaniacs never back down. Obama has a following of sheep that believe his vision. Sheep that only hear his voice. May he and his flock all go off a cliff. One more false prophet.

Hening on April 14, 2008 at 10:30 AM

alphie on April 14, 2008 at 10:18 AM

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Weak, weak spin. I’m not particularly fond of McCain, but that is weak.

MCCAIN ’08: AT LEAST HE DOESN’T HATE AMERICA!

misterpeasea on April 14, 2008 at 10:30 AM

A little Steyn and Beck.

a capella on April 14, 2008 at 10:31 AM

I for one would like to thank Mr. Obama. He has awakened me to the fact that my feeble little mind clings to religion and guns out of desparation because of economic pressures placed on me, even though I am making more money and living a better lifestyle than I ever have in my life. sarc/off

The only economic pressure I suffer from right now is the check I write to the IRS today!

conservnut on April 14, 2008 at 10:32 AM

Haha, misterp,

McCain does great…as long as he stays hidden on his child bride’s “ranch.”

Too bad he can’t stay hidden until November.

I think he’s gonna make Bob Dole look like a dynamic campaigner.

alphie on April 14, 2008 at 10:38 AM

It’s not the comment…. it’s the coverup.

Okay, it’s the comment too. But now he’s obviously distorting what he, himself said. I would think that this would get him in trouble with his supporters, but I don’t believe that most of them have the intellectual capacity and/or honesty to acknowledge this.

I have began seeing “Obama ’08″ signs on a person’s front lawn as a kind of very public I.Q. test. If my current business ever fails and I have to resort to being a confidence man, those are the first houses at which I will attempt to sell a bridge.

29Victor on April 14, 2008 at 10:42 AM

Hussein Ossama: “They’ll promise you anything, give you a long list of proposals and even come around, with TV crews in tow, to throw back a shot and a beer”

Quoted from Hussein’s rant, via Drudge.

What a hypocrite and a liar!!

All what this Black empty-suit is doing to get to the White House is promising people anything they want to hear, even blaming his own Party.

He’ll say anything to be the 1st Black president elected by Affirmative Action.

Indy Conservative on April 14, 2008 at 10:42 AM

Now he’s playing it straight.

Jaibones on April 14, 2008 at 10:20 AM

Unintentionally, but quite right. Don’t underestimate the appeal though. An outright socialist with Obama’s pedigree and appeal would be a formidable foe. It’s the “necessity” to still keep it hidden, somewhat, that diminishes his power. My prediction? The Dems officially become the Democratic Socialists, a la their European brethren, and start running opening socialist candidates. Hopefully, Obama will not figure this out in time to fully and openly embrace his socialism.

NOTE TO RUSH:

PLEASE CONSIDER WHETHER IT WOULD BE WISE TO OUT THESE PEOPLE AS SIMPLE EUROPEAN SOCIALISTS? OR IS IT BETTER FOR US IF THEY CONTINUE TO FEEL COMPELLED TO HIDE IT?

JiangxiDad on April 14, 2008 at 10:43 AM

Marxism is the opiate of the intellectual.

N. O'Brain on April 14, 2008 at 10:47 AM

Obama back on the being offensive

There.

TooTall on April 14, 2008 at 10:47 AM

All I can say is, I sure hope Barrack doesn’t decide to do a photo opt of him showing us how great a hunter or target shooting expert he is all of a sudden. He was dangerous enough with a bowling ball in his hands, not sure I’d care to hand him a gun…

soulsirkus on April 14, 2008 at 10:48 AM

Are you kidding? He’ll be quoting Reagan by the end of the week. Again – none of this is at the core of his statements (with all due respect to Kristol).

This is what is all about from a Slate blogger.

Agrippa2k on April 14, 2008 at 10:50 AM

“…They didn’t understand that you were going to finance my campaign with $25 contributions and $50 contributions”.

Apparently, neither did you. That’s why you made agreed to public financing.

HarryStar on April 14, 2008 at 10:50 AM

All this elitism talk his the MSM/Left second attempt to manage the fallout. “Bitter” was the first try and now “Elitism” (conservatives can’t resist).

Agrippa2k on April 14, 2008 at 10:52 AM

Correct, “elitism” isn’t the problem and neither is the “bitterness”. The right wing smear machine needs a tuneup. It’s getting “hoodwinked”.

ninjapirate on April 14, 2008 at 10:55 AM

Haha, misterp,

McCain does great…as long as he stays hidden on his child bride’s “ranch.”

Too bad he can’t stay hidden until November.

I think he’s gonna make Bob Dole look like a dynamic campaigner.

alphie on April 14, 2008 at 10:38 AM

Gee, that’s strange. I didn’t realize he had been hiding. I was sure I saw him meeting with foreign leaders/policy makers, and our troops, while Barry was having a “private” fundraiser with rich San Francisco psuedo-intellectuals. How did that turn out, by the way?

a capella on April 14, 2008 at 10:56 AM

Jist gonna keep a-polishin’ mah guns. GOD BLESS AMERICA. Hyuck Hyuck.
Friggin donkey he is.

Geronimo on April 14, 2008 at 10:59 AM

I wouldn’t be so sure Ed. The Dems seem to like how he is fighting back.

terryannonline on April 14, 2008 at 10:17 AM

Good. I hope he continues to. That argument can so easily be defeated, it will be a landslide. If McCain chooses to.

rightside on April 14, 2008 at 11:01 AM

Retiring as an O-6 is “washing out” of the military?

Still supporting the troops like all good liberals.

funky chicken on April 14, 2008 at 11:03 AM

If McCain chooses to.

rightside on April 14, 2008 at 11:01 AM

Ironic that McCain will have a similar problem to Hillary. How to go after Obama without alienating the very people you are hoping will vote for you, and without alienating the MSM.

JiangxiDad on April 14, 2008 at 11:06 AM

One or two more days, if this meme hasn’t died, the BHO campaign [and Tingleleg] will start saying “Anyone who keeps bringing this up is obviously racist.”

eeyore on April 14, 2008 at 11:06 AM

including marrying for money

alphie on April 14, 2008 at 10:18 AM

Because a pre-nup that gives McCain zero rights to his wife’s assets is marrying for money.

I realize that liberals lie for a living – it’s the only way you can win elections and take power. But you better get some new lies that aren’t so easily debunked.

amkun on April 14, 2008 at 11:06 AM

Wow, Barry’s showing his angry, ugly side now that it’s getting tough.

“They didn’t know you’d be sending me your pauper’s contributions”

“They drink your liquor”

I can’t wait to hear more

funky chicken on April 14, 2008 at 11:07 AM

Oh I do love it so when they dig deeper.

/popcorn/

Dash on April 14, 2008 at 11:09 AM

Haha, misterp,

McCain does great…as long as he stays hidden on his child bride’s “ranch.”

Too bad he can’t stay hidden until November.

I think he’s gonna make Bob Dole look like a dynamic campaigner.

Hogwash! But you just hold that line buddy while we all watch that dolt Obama tumble off he edge of the political earth.

rplat on April 14, 2008 at 11:09 AM

Obama is unelectable (baring some violation of Edwin Edward’s admonitionby McCain)

For being a senator from a midwestern state, Mr Obama has demonstrated that he is afflicted with a remarkable tin ear. What next Mr Obama, you hate corn? Have an aversion to apple pie and feel nervous around people who drive trucks?

Isn’t this an indictment of our entire American society? Well, you can do whatever you want to us, but I for one am not going to stand here and listen to you badmouth the United States of America. Gentlemen!

moxie_neanderthal on April 14, 2008 at 11:18 AM

“I have been working in churches since I got out of college,” Obama said at one point.”

… just not at any time that Uncle Jerry was preaching his “inflammatory and appalling” views.

garry on April 14, 2008 at 11:19 AM

Let’s just wait and see, rplat.

I think the source of McCain’s personal fortune, his lobbying on behalf of the French on the Boeing tanker deal and his part in the S&L scandal, just to name a few issues, are gonna strip a little varnish off of a rather wooden candidate.

But watching the neocons hold their noses and hug him is worth a Republican loss in November.

We’ll get back to business in 2012.

alphie on April 14, 2008 at 11:21 AM

Is the fact that his comments drew laughs from his millionaire audience just gonna get swept under the rug? These were deragatory remarks made to connect him to his very rich fundraisers, who of course know better than all those poor, bitter, small-town folk. Ugh.

VolMagic on April 14, 2008 at 11:27 AM

Alphie, you’re meowing up the wrong tree. McCain ain’t perfect, but he’s light years better than the Lib/Prog/Socialist/Democrat Party can ever come out with.

5 years in the Hanoi Hilton trumps ‘washing out’ any day.

SeniorD on April 14, 2008 at 11:29 AM

On second thought, Alphie just may be another troll lurking around trying to find intelligent comments he can snark. I’ll put him squarely in the Lib/Prog/Socialist/Democrat Party camp as another Hypocrite.

SeniorD on April 14, 2008 at 11:31 AM

alphie on April 14, 2008 at 10:18 AM

Reagan was a movie star. I don’t get your logic here. I believe that McCain has put himself in luxury, but unlike Obama he actually spent time with working class people.

It’s hard to call a man an elitist when he was tortured primarily for refusing to receive preferential treatment.

Which isn’t to say I like McCain. I wish I did, but I do not want to vote for him.

Esthier on April 14, 2008 at 11:37 AM

Marx’s point about religion as “the opiate of the people” is that it servers as an anodyne, not that it’s addictive.

That said, Marx was wrong on most things.

mojo on April 14, 2008 at 11:38 AM

Put me down as a Reagan Republican, SeniorD.

I’ll be happy either way, the neocons will be out in November…though I think Obama is gonna clean McCain’s clock when grandpa stumbles out of his cave.

Has everyone politely forgotten what a lousy campaigner McCain is?

It’s gonna take a lot more than smearing Obama’s religion and phony anti-bumpkinism charges to beat him.

alphie on April 14, 2008 at 11:43 AM

FYI: its Steelton, PA not Steeltown

Bicyea on April 14, 2008 at 11:47 AM

alphie on April 14, 2008 at 11:43 AM

For a “Reagan Republican” you sure do seem happy about the possibility of Obama as president.

Esthier on April 14, 2008 at 11:48 AM

Guns and hunting are not the same issue. The right to bear arms is a much bigger concept that is not limited to killing furry woodland creatures.

SocklessJoe on April 14, 2008 at 11:54 AM

Put me down as a Reagan Republican, SeniorD.

alphie on April 14, 2008 at 11:43 AM

You’ve been concealing it well. BTW, I’m a Cy Young winner.

a capella on April 14, 2008 at 11:55 AM

I don’t see much difference between McCain and Obama, Est.

They’re both big government liberals.

I am more worried about the folks who made McCain rich, though.

alphie on April 14, 2008 at 12:01 PM

Luckily, there’s a lot more out there to use against him. And more to come, no doubt.

BTW, how exactly does one “smear” a “religion” like black liberation theology?

AZCoyote on April 14, 2008 at 12:08 PM

I love how politicians complain that an opponent is “playing politics.” The “New Politician” sounds a lot like every other politician.

BTW, I support guns rights and the 2nd amendment and I have fired a gun once in my life. Do I sound like Wild Bill Hickock? Barry must have a whole staff that does nothing but build strawmen for him.

Mallard T. Drake on April 14, 2008 at 12:10 PM

Put me down as a Reagan Republican, SeniorD.

Reagan ran for POTUS in 1980 when he was 69 years old, a whole three years younger than McCain is right now. Guess you didn’t worry about Reagan tottering into office back then, seeing as how you are so hung-up on McCain’s age today.

Bishop on April 14, 2008 at 12:14 PM

That’s the first time I’ve seen some legitimate anger from the Messiah. He appears to be feeling the pressure.

swami on April 14, 2008 at 12:16 PM

alphie on April 14, 2008 at 12:01 PM

But not about who made Obama and Clinton rich?

Esthier on April 14, 2008 at 12:16 PM

Yup, its going to take a single debate against McCain. I look forward to hearing Snobama’s take on free trade, considering how many times it has changed.

Bishop on April 14, 2008 at 12:17 PM

And so I’m here to say to you, all my friends here in Labour, that you have funded my campaign. I am accountable to you. Those lobbyists, they have not funded my campaign. They will not run our White House, and they will not drown out the voices of the American people when I’m President of the United States of America.

Wow! Obama really is an honest guy. He just flat out said who bought him, and who owns him.

greggish on April 14, 2008 at 12:38 PM

drew laughter from the crowd assembled at Messiah College

When did Obama found this college?

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on April 14, 2008 at 12:53 PM

What’s that gay little bracelet he’s wearing?

mattshu on April 14, 2008 at 1:00 PM

I want to see Obama in an Amish straw hat and suspenders, standing in a tobacco field in Intercourse, Pa., saying how much he loves the commoners, er… the common man.

C’mon, Messiah, we need a downhome photo op of your non-elitism and inclusiveness.

Maybe he could grow a moustacheless beard, too.

profitsbeard on April 14, 2008 at 1:04 PM

JiangxiDad on April 14, 2008 at 10:43 AM

I’m going to fess up to being a Brit but I’m fascinated by this kerfuffle. I went on LGF last night to say I simply didn’t see what the fuss was here and got hammered. I think JiangxiDad’s quote is interesting because I think there is a huge difference between the US and the UK on this. This quote could have been made by any politician in the UK, of any hue, and no-one (apart from the bit about guns) would’ve batted an eyelid. In fact I’d wager that many working class whites in the UK would be GRATEFUL for a comment like this as it would be the first time that any UK politician had even tried to understand why they are all racist bastards (heavy sarc).

I’m not saying any of this as if this is a positive in favour of the UK- just that it’s an intriguing difference.

schiehallion on April 14, 2008 at 1:18 PM

…”they were subject to be twisted”. LOL. …”I’m a man of deep faith”…sniker-snort. “I spoke honestly about people’s frustrations”…Bwahahahaha. “C’mon”…she-it. That’s not what we objected to. It can smell the truckload of BS that Barry’s trying to spread.
I did like the hit on Herself…strangely enough tho i used the Annie Oakley analogy in a previous post without knowing Barry had already used it. Heaven help me, I plagarized (sp?) the Messiah psychically. That’s not just wrong, it’s scary.

Christine on April 14, 2008 at 1:19 PM

schiehallion on April 14, 2008 at 1:18 PM

Probably because your brethren have been conditioned over the years. We watch your welfare programs and many of us see how destructive they have been to Brit culture. We watch the EU and see the loss of national pride through dilutiuon of individual liberty. We then watch our own national issues develop along the same lines and reject the concept. Socialism here still has to be disguised, but Barry slipped up.

a capella on April 14, 2008 at 1:31 PM

a capella on April 14, 2008 at 1:31 PM

I can’t disagree with your analysis.

schiehallion on April 14, 2008 at 1:39 PM

alphie on April 14, 2008 at 10:18 AM

Whoa, even the always-excitable Howard Dean doesn’t have enough huevos — or has too many working brain cells — to go with this one. Throw “washed out of the Navy” at McCain, and just watch the POW footage from his captivity in Hanoi come flying back at you.

I mean, good luck Barak or Hillary if either of them wants to try this attack angle on McCain, but I don’t think the advance polling will find the term works very well with any voters who don’t already loathe the military and are wistfully recalling the spittle they projected at returning soldiers from Vietnam 35 years ago.

jon1979 on April 14, 2008 at 1:39 PM

All I can say is, I sure hope Barack doesn’t decide to do a photo opt of him showing us how great a hunter or target shooting expert he is all of a sudden. He was dangerous enough with a bowling ball in his hands, not sure I’d care to hand him a gun…
soulsirkus on April 14, 2008 at 10:48 AM

Guns?! That’s the least of the dangers…he might actually hit himself!

Try: “religion“:
Would you trust your daughter with this man for an hour to hear his church’s “interpretation” of the Bible?!

Try: “antipathy to people who aren’t like them“:
The “tolerance” of today’s leftists borders on that of Nazi Youth (sounds like a joke, but I’m serious). Obama is their candidate.

Try: “anti-trade sentiment
With the possible exception of deals for any African company, I can’t think of a more closed-minded, anti “free-trade” candidate.

Lockstein13 on April 14, 2008 at 1:40 PM

Put me down as a Reagan Republican, SeniorD.

alphie on April 14, 2008 at 11:43 AM

You’ve been concealing it well. BTW, I’m a Cy Young winner.

a capella on April 14, 2008 at 11:55 AM

LOL And I’m Christie Brinkley

funky chicken on April 14, 2008 at 1:47 PM

Wait, wait.

I’m Heidi Klum!

funky chicken on April 14, 2008 at 1:47 PM

The strangest thing on the Obama flop is that he was always a smug, inflated, haughty guy.

That it took himself to explain it to the masses, shows how naive they are, media included.

Said media is hyperventillating for him now. His fourth re-explanation of what he said, and meant to say, is the funiest of all, as he explains and parses every word, then in the same breath accuses the others of “playing politics”. Heh.

What’s most disappointing is that, otherwise smart, and relatively sane people, like Bill Handel, KFI 640AM, LA, are completely in the tank for him, including on excusing the obvious.

Why can’t people hold two thoughts in one head – Obama, and his misses, are as haughty as Messrs Gore/Kerry, and misses Kerry, and Hillary is a hypocrite about it.

War of the roses, and they all stink.

Entelechy on April 14, 2008 at 2:25 PM

Being played by Obama: Seduction.
Being played by Hillary: Domination.
Operation Chaos is succeeding. Limbaugh is brilliant.

Randy

williars on April 14, 2008 at 3:58 PM

Put me down as a Reagan Republican, SeniorD.

alphie on April 14, 2008 at 11:43 AM

OK: You’re terrible at being a Reagan Republican. Awful, awful…you should be depressed at what a failure of a Reagan Republican you are.

Now, did that put you down enough?

P.S. Can you call it spin when it doesn’t even turn?

James on April 14, 2008 at 4:08 PM

That darn mask of his keeps on slipping. :)

ThePrez on April 14, 2008 at 4:34 PM

How dare anyone accuse the rascist of elitism. One would expect it from a rube like McCain.(or his supporters) Not a man of such “deep faith”. How dare anyone accuse the Messiah of not being “in touch” with the commoners. Okay, my tongue just broke through my cheek. He still just doesn’t get it. He thinks it’s the wording, that he didn’t use small enough words that commoners would understand. He “could have worded it better”. IT’S THE BELIEF BOZO. What he really believes is showing through. His only regret is that the rubes outside of San Fran heard his “wording”.

oakpack on April 14, 2008 at 7:26 PM

alphie on April 14, 2008 at 10:18 AM

How would you know why he married?

mikeyboss on April 14, 2008 at 7:40 PM