Israel to Jimmy Carter: You’re on your own, pal

posted at 8:25 am on April 14, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

Jimmy Carter has generated a lot of controversy by declaring his intention to meet with Hamas on a trip to the Middle East. Israel will stoke the fires even further by refusing to provide Carter with the security normally provided for current and former American presidents. In fact, Carter will get no cooperation at all from the Shin Bet in his travels through Israel, Gaza, and the West Bank:

Israel’s secret service has declined to assist U.S. agents guarding former U.S. President Jimmy Carter during a visit in which Israeli leaders have shunned him, U.S. sources close to the matter said on Monday.

Carter angered the Israeli government with plans to meet Hamas’s top leader, Khaled Meshaal, in Syria, and for describing Israeli policy in the occupied Palestinian territories as “a system of apartheid” in a 2006 book.

The Nobel Peace Prize winner, who brokered Israel’s first peace treaty with an Arab neighbor, Egypt, signed in 1979, met Israel’s largely ceremonial president, Shimon Peres, on Sunday but was shunned by the political leadership, including Prime Minister Ehud Olmert.

Israel has also rejected Carter’s request to meet jailed Palestinian uprising leader Marwan Barghouthi, who is seen as a possible successor to President Mahmoud Abbas, a spokesman for Carter said.

The unprecedented breach, as Reuters reports it, means that the Secret Service will face more danger with less intelligence than on any other trip to the region. That will be especially problematic in Sderot, which Carter intends to visit. Khaled Meshaal’s nutcase followers rain rockets into Sderot on a regular basis, and with Carter’s visit so well publicized, they could either cease as a gesture of goodwill for Carter’s upcoming visit — or they could choose to make headlines around the world by killing Carter.

It gives the State Department a little more leverage about Carter’s trip. They could use the danger into which Carter would lead the Secret Service as a means to ask the Department of Homeland Security to refuse to allow them to accompany Carter. Carter could choose to go without the Secret Service, but without Israeli security, it would present a huge risk — and if he did go and got killed, it would be an explosive issue for the Bush administration.

Quite frankly, although I understand the Israeli’s action, I think it sets a bad precedent. Cooperation in security should not be predicated on agreement of political policies. Jimmy Carter may be the worst ex-president in American history, but he is still our ex-president, and the Secret Service detail that accompanies him deserves Israeli cooperation. The snub from the political class is well-deserved, but the Israelis should consider how Americans will view them if their refusal to cooperate on security leads to American deaths on this trip./

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

No offense to the elderly, but in many cases, at a certain age, people lose their mind and regress to an early mental age, say childhood years.

My advice to Jim is to move to Floria, I’m sure we can put up with him, and if he’s interested in settling disputes, we have fights every night at our local Bingo Hall.

Indy Conservative on April 14, 2008 at 11:08 AM

Carter deserves being snobbed by the Israelis. I cannot see any reason to sympathize the fact that he is not just the worst president but a despicable one. Kudos to Israel. If he insists to go without security, it is only him to be blamed since he is putting the secret service details in harms way as well.

mariloubaker on April 14, 2008 at 11:10 AM

That statement seems to infer that the behavior and cations of a former president are not to be questioned or objected to. carter is an enemy of Israel, is meeting with a group that has vowed to destroy Isarael and does not deserve the protection of the Israeli security forces. If they think carter will be a target, why should Israeli soldiers and security people lay down their lives for him?

peacenprosperity on April 14, 2008 at 11:13 AM

cations=actions

peacenprosperity on April 14, 2008 at 11:14 AM

Just have Bush apply the Logan Act, like he’s supposed to do, and there will be no problem at all. Just put Mr. Peanut under house arrest.

Besides, why should the Jews in Israel protect people who aid and abet the monsters who are trying to destroy their children?

Cue tiny violin music..

TexasJew on April 14, 2008 at 11:15 AM

Carter is a private citizen going where the State department told him not to go. There is no way Secret service agents should be going with him if he meets with Hamas. The same for Israel’s equivalent. I don’t think he will be in any danger though – he is Hamas’s best spokesperson.

Corsair on April 14, 2008 at 11:15 AM

And why, for that matter, should good Americans be endangered because of his ill advised actions? He was told not to go, if he chooses to let him hire his own security.

peacenprosperity on April 14, 2008 at 11:16 AM

First time I thought one of the honchos here were dead wrong about anything, but…

First time for everything, though.

dmh0667 on April 14, 2008 at 11:18 AM

Wow, so Carter may be forced to face terrorism the way the average Israeli citizen must 24/7? I hope he does go — without the secret service, of course.

Blake on April 14, 2008 at 11:20 AM

peacenprosperity on April 14, 2008 at 11:14 AM

cations =/= anions

MadisonConservative on April 14, 2008 at 11:20 AM

This is a good point, but Carter is also risking lives by meeting with Hamas, not just his security but everyone who is killed because Hamas was able to use the meeting as a recruiting tool.

Israel’s position is more than understandable.

Esthier on April 14, 2008 at 11:23 AM

Jimmy Boy is no different than many old farts I see here in Florida, mostly Snow Birds, who lost their vigor and mind..

Indy Conservative on April 14, 2008 at 11:08 AM

Shame on you!
Are you denigrating our Party’s nominee?

“McCain would prefer to go up against [his "good friend" - my quotes] Hillary Clinton in the general election, insiders reveal.”

How shmoozy!
With McCain, it’s like they’re both running for the position of Chairman of the condo board or something..

TexasJew on April 14, 2008 at 11:24 AM

Ed, I disagree completely. Mr. peanut has made it clear he is a traitor and an enemy. Therefore, regardless of his previous elected position, he is not entitled to special treatment.

He’s lucky his butt isnt in jail. it should be.

dogsoldier on April 14, 2008 at 11:25 AM

OK, If / When Carter gets kidnapped, does anyone pay the ransom? or does he sit there while Ted Koppel counts the days until he gets to 444. I am certain there may be 52 americans and their families voting for the latter.

Guest1.1 on April 14, 2008 at 11:29 AM

Ummm.. booyah? They should feel no obligation to ensure this guy’s life.

AbaddonsReign on April 14, 2008 at 11:34 AM

The Secret Service as well should refuse to assist Jimmah in the commission of treason.

If he wants to go rub elbows with terrorists, he should do it without the support of my tax dollars.

mojojojo on April 14, 2008 at 11:34 AM

Yeah, I have to agree with Allahpundit on this one. Just imagine what the headlines will scream:
“CARTER DEAD – WHAT DID MOSSAD KNOW AND WHEN DID IT KNOW IT?”

You’ll get the Loose Change version within hours. Israel is setting themselves up for a huge debacle on this one. But they do tend to be a stiff-necked people, so it’s not surprising.

apollyonbob on April 14, 2008 at 11:37 AM

OK, If / When Carter gets kidnapped…

Even after thirty years, America has an interest in making sure no ex-President is ever CAPTURED.

Technically though (Heaven forbid), there is no more security interest involved in the death of an ex-president than there would be for any other retired citizen.

Put those two together, and the Secret Service’s obligation becomes very simple…

logis on April 14, 2008 at 11:39 AM

Why should Israel be forced to protect their enemies, and Carter is their enemy?

Blake on April 14, 2008 at 11:39 AM

Israel gets $5,000,000,000 worth of welfare from America every year.

Think it’s time to cut ‘em off.

Morons.

alphie on April 14, 2008 at 8:36 AM

Is it too late to jump on the “No, you’re the Arabist Moron, Alphie” train?

Besides, I think Nixon started the assistance Israel’s way either during or before the Yom Kippur War. How else did Israel have M60 Tanks, and F4 Fighters by that time? Dhimmi Cahtuh Al-Georgia started the money flowing the Arabs’ way in order to buy their “peaceful behavior” at Camp David, although I think Dimona helped with concentrating the Arabs’ minds to that end, as well.

As for this so-called “welfare”, I guess Microsoft and other High-Tech companies only went to Israel for the sun, sand, and surf.

dmh0667 on April 14, 2008 at 11:40 AM

Should any group be wacky enough to kidnap Carter they’ll gain appreciation for Ben Franklin’s Three Day Rule (re: guests and fish) quickly enough.

More likely they’d then demand a ransom to not let him go then double or treble the demand each time the previous loot amount is raised. Refuse return delivery. You swipe him you gotta keep him.

viking01 on April 14, 2008 at 11:41 AM

Through the Looking Glass.

People would look unfavorably on the Israelis if the Palestinians killed Carter.

Unreal.

Lehosh on April 14, 2008 at 8:37 AM

I’m with you.

capitalist piglet on April 14, 2008 at 11:44 AM

dmh0667 on April 14, 2008 at 11:40 AM

Correction, LBJ sold the Israelis the Phantom Jets in 1968, after the Israelis defeated the Soviet-equipped Arabs (including the Iraquis, BTW). Also, Operation Nickel-Grass (?) was Nixon’s emergency airlift of US hardware to Israel during the Yom-Kippur War.

dmh0667 on April 14, 2008 at 11:48 AM

If anything did happen to Carter we would be forced to retaliate. Although most Americans disagree with or do not like Carter, they would be behind a retaliation.President Bush would be at the helm. There would be a new wave of American Patriotism…

Guest1.1 on April 14, 2008 at 11:50 AM

Jimmuh should have a choice of having his passport revoked or being charged under the Logan Act.

What am absolute disgrace to this country.

belad on April 14, 2008 at 12:00 PM

I’m not so sure given the current state of public education. If many of today’s yoots were shown a photo of Peanut Carter they’d probably think he’s a retired sweater wearing goof ball who used to hawk cheap kitchen knife sets on late-night infomercials.

Save the Ginsu geezer? By force? He should be able to cut through the iron bars or handcuffs and still be able to cleanly slice a tomato.

viking01 on April 14, 2008 at 12:04 PM

If anything did happen to Carter we would be forced to retaliate.

Maybe we can get the iranians to nab him. Talk about irony.

peacenprosperity on April 14, 2008 at 12:05 PM

I hope, when he gets back, he chooses to give Obama an Hamas flag during a public photo-op.

eeyore on April 14, 2008 at 12:07 PM

If anything did happen to Carter we would be forced to retaliate.

I don’t know; it would be kind of poetic if he were taken hostage.

At first I thought it would be even more poetic to let him be held for, oh, a year and a few months or so, where he’d at least be out of our hair … but then I thought of the inevitable series of videos where he’d implore the U.S. to give the Palis everything they wanted.

On reflection, it would be preferable to go in after him on a guns-a-blazing rescue mission that didn’t end in a desert helicopter crash. There would be an unavoidable risk of the hostage suffering collateral damage, but that would be a we’d have to accept, I’m afraid.

Alex_SF on April 14, 2008 at 12:13 PM

viking01 on April 14, 2008 at 11:41 AM

I like it: Jimmy Carter as Red Chief. That reminds me; it’s been a couple years since I’ve seen Ruthless People.

Alex_SF on April 14, 2008 at 12:15 PM

It is doubtful that Carter is going there to tell Hamas off and threaten them about anything is it? He is there to give them comfort and credibility and gather their demands and grievances. Same old,same old.

Let Carter hire a platoon or two of Qaddafi’s Fem Ninja Houris to keep his peanut shell intact. Israel owes him nothing currently.

BL@KBIRD on April 14, 2008 at 12:21 PM

Good. Why would he need those wicked Jews to protect him, anyhow? I’m sure he’ll feel perfectly safe with his friends from Hamas.

morganfrost on April 14, 2008 at 12:26 PM

I would still look favorably on Israel. Carter should stay home.

richardcamera on April 14, 2008 at 12:26 PM

Jimmah probably needs to team up with Bin Laden for his nostalgia tour. Hire on Garrison Keillor for a Return to Lake Jihad Days. Wax nostalgic about the good old times of 600 A.D. when they could barter their wife for a camel or vice versa. Those Salad Days at the oasis when frenzied nut cases could slice and dice with the glee of Pol Pot who Peanut practically ignored during his entire presidency. Put it to banjor music though pickin’ and grinnin’ for Carter would mostly mean his teeth and his a$… ears.

viking01 on April 14, 2008 at 12:39 PM

What the hell? He’s been “strongly advised” by the State Department not to go. They’d do more than “strongly advise” me if I tried this stunt.

So ex-Presidents can go anywhere they want and nobody can stop them? Who made that rule?

S. Weasel on April 14, 2008 at 12:40 PM

This is not the first thing Jimmah Carter has done to piss of the Israelis.

His last book may have been the last straw.

EJDolbow on April 14, 2008 at 12:43 PM

I’m with Israel on this one. The moron has been warned and he’s not listening so why should others risk their lives so he can find another 15 minutes of fleeting fame? If he gets his butt handed to him, oh well, no big loss. We can save some of the taxpayers’ money on those large pension benefits he’s been getting. Not to mention the Secret Service. Move on people, nothing to see here.

UnEasyRider on April 14, 2008 at 12:44 PM

I have to agree with Israel on this one. Jimmuh is his own problem, and I guess our problem–not theirs.

james23 on April 14, 2008 at 1:08 PM

Why should Israelis put their secret service at risk for Jimmy F’n Carter?

DeathtotheSwiss on April 14, 2008 at 1:20 PM

My judgement on the wisdom of Israel’s action is based solely on whether the Left can turn this moron into a martyr. I’m afraid they could pull it off and thus Israel is making a mistake.

Otherwise, I’d be jubilant if Carter went the way of Saint Pancake. Live by the “Peace”; Die by the “Peace”.

thuja on April 14, 2008 at 1:46 PM

I completely disagree with you Ed.

It used to be the enemies of our allies were our enemies. Not so with the Democrats nowadays. It used to be an act of treason to give aid and political comfort to our foes, and by extension the foes of our allies. Not so anymore. I believe that nowadays, you ‘negotiate’ with all sorts of enemies and terrorist, if you’re a politican, and there’s no such thing anymore as the term ‘Treason’.

If ex-President Jimmy Carter wants to go talking to terrorist, I say, “Enter at your own risk.” Why should I have my taxpayer dollars fund the security detail that’ll help put a finger in the eye of Israel and the USA? I don’t care who he is, when he humiliates my country he deserves my disdain not my support in anyway or fashion. That’s just how I FEEL about that.

Sultry Beauty on April 14, 2008 at 1:53 PM

Israel to Carter, “Schmuck!!”.

Billy Clinton will be even a greater loose cannon when he reaches Carter’s age.

Hening on April 14, 2008 at 1:57 PM

Boy-O, Carter’s funeral is going to be the most desolate event of ANY us President. Aside from the flowers from Hugo and Company.
I think he really is losing his marbles and just has no idea what he’s doing. He has protection from our Secret Service. If he wants to go visit with Hamas, why should Israel protect him?

Geronimo on April 14, 2008 at 2:07 PM

Indy Conservative on April 14, 2008 at 11:08 AM

Shame on you!
Are you denigrating our Party’s nominee?

“McCain would prefer to go up against [his “good friend” - my quotes] Hillary Clinton in the general election, insiders reveal.”

How shmoozy!

TexasJew on April 14, 2008 at 11:24 AM

Hillary against Great Gran’ Pa’ McCain…sounds creepy.

I hope whoever is the Democratic nominee would help McCain answering the questions during the debates, or maybe his aides should bug him and whisper the answers in his ears.

Let’s face it, McCain is an old fart.

I doubt that by November he will remember that he’s running for president.

You know, age and memory don’t get along.

If McCain is president, I hope he don’t forget that America is waging a war on Islamic terrorism, not on Canada.

Indy Conservative on April 14, 2008 at 2:08 PM

Sen. McCain has released a statement on Carter’s trip to meet with Hamas.

its vintage duh on April 14, 2008 at 2:15 PM

Another terror-enabling American tourist, just like the late blessed Saint Pancake.

TexasJew on April 14, 2008 at 2:16 PM

Why didn’t Israel ban him from Israel – didn’t they ban some British parliament member from going because he said something bad about Israel – even if he wasn’t planning on going anyway?

Corsair on April 14, 2008 at 2:23 PM

The Israelis should just deny him a visa, and frog march him back on the plane.

If he wants to visit the Palis via Egypt or Syria, then he is their problem.

Hopefully the Jordanians will have enough sense to boot him as well.

Kristopher on April 14, 2008 at 2:26 PM

I’ve always wondered how the American Jews reconcile the enigma the anti-Semite Jimmah represents???

belad on April 14, 2008 at 2:28 PM

Ah yes. That whole “Kill All the Joooooos” political policy. Such a contentious issue, that. Folks keep making a legitimate attempt to get them killed, and they refuse to lay down and die. Jerks.

TheUnrepentantGeek on April 14, 2008 at 3:20 PM

Sorry, Ed, but uncle Jimmy is the safest man in the Middle East.
Randy

williars on April 14, 2008 at 3:27 PM

I have a cunning plan…

After the lying Hamas dogs kidnap the brain-dead old fart, we refuse to take him back until they do such-and-such.

Doesn’t matter what, as they will instinctively refuse.

I call it my “Red Chief” strategy…

mojo on April 14, 2008 at 3:40 PM

belad on April 14, 2008 at 2:28 PM

If you mean, why do so many seem to still support him, I suspect it has to do with being infected with liberalism (Jews are far from immune to that virus), and partly to do with trying to fit in (we’re not Jews, we’re liberals) and not rock the boat in their liberal home. There may even be self-loathing, which can prey on a permanent minority community. i.e., for psychological reasons.

I also wonder how Jimmah got here. Some have speculated that his failed business ventures were bailed out by Saudis or other wealthy Arabs, others that his liberalism prevents him from making right/wrong distinctions when it comes to groups that he is trying to help. If the Jews begged Carter for help, his vanity is such that he would rush in and try to solve their problems.

Liberals get angry at people who don’t ask for, or reject, their help. e.g. Obama/white rural voters

JiangxiDad on April 14, 2008 at 3:44 PM

Israel to Carter, “Schmuck!!”.

Billy Clinton will be even a greater loose cannon when he reaches Carter’s age.

Hening on April 14, 2008 at 1:57 PM

“loose cannon”? did my double entendre detector just go off ring or what?

TheCulturalist on April 14, 2008 at 3:59 PM

Just revoke his passport and perks.
This senile Old Socialist and Worst President ever
is an embarasment and a Traitor.

Consorting with Terrorists should get him Charges
and some time at Gitmo or residency in Gaza with no
possibility of return to the US.

old trooper on April 14, 2008 at 4:02 PM

JiangxiDad on April 14, 2008 at 3:44 PM

The link will take you to some interesting information regarding BCCI and Jimmah. If you google Jimmy Carter and BCCI, you can find a lot of information.

belad on April 14, 2008 at 4:28 PM

Note to Mr. Morrissey: What? We conservatives are now ADVOCATING (in this case, Israeli) Government intervention to protect people (in this case, one James Earl Carter) from the consequences of their stupid choices? Huh?

If he gets blown up by his Hamas “buddies. . . . ,” hey HE chose them for his friends, not the Israelis.

sanantonian on April 14, 2008 at 4:41 PM

So because he’s an ex-president, Secret Service member and Israeli lives should be put on the line for the sake of his efforts to make friends with terrorists and his borderline violations of the Logan Act?…
MadisonConservative on April 14, 2008 at 8:36 AM

Borderline violations? The Logan Act is quite clear:
The Logan Act (18 U.S.C.A. § 953 [1948]) is a single federal statute making it a crime for a citizen to confer with foreign governments against the interests of the United States. Specifically, it prohibits citizens from negotiating with other nations on behalf of the United States without authorization.

sinsing on April 14, 2008 at 9:50 AM

When Pelosi went to Syria some people here were saying this law has never been tested in court. An ex-President makes a great first attempt at testing this law in court. Does anyone here think W has the cajones to order the FBI to arrest Jimmah and go forth with a trial?

Mooseman on April 14, 2008 at 4:41 PM

If confronted by armed terrorists, Jimma should simply use his sound reasoning skills to articulate his position and appeal to their elevated sense of moral decency. I think that Jimma should also take any confrontation as an opportunity to convert them to Christianity.

Ehhh, who am I kidding? They would never hurt the man that has done so much to advance their cause.

Claypigeon on April 14, 2008 at 4:54 PM

Claypigeon on April 14, 2008 at 4:54 PM

yes, they are a very well reasoned group

TheCulturalist on April 14, 2008 at 5:26 PM

An ex-President makes a great first attempt at testing this law in court.

Can Secret Service agents be compelled to testify against the subject they are providing security for?

Does anyone here think W has the cajones to have the Secret Service plant a GPS device in the meeting place and have missiles trike two minutes after carter leaves?

peacenprosperity on April 14, 2008 at 6:06 PM

strike

peacenprosperity on April 14, 2008 at 6:06 PM

Jimmy Carter is a never-ending train wreck with perpetual collateral damage.

MaiDee on April 14, 2008 at 6:55 PM

they could choose to make headlines around the world by killing Carter.

Hamas rockets kill Carter? That would be your irony–and you could put that in your putting-it-mildly department. That would be so rich, it would be illegal to serve it in a New York restaurant.

smellthecoffee on April 14, 2008 at 6:57 PM

I’ve not read the other comments here, so my apologies if I am merely repeating what has already been said.

While I often agree with Mr. Morrissey, that is not the case in this instance. Mr. Morrissey is looking at this from an American perspective, and seems to place the lives of U.S. personnel at greater value than that of Shin Bet or other Israeli personnel.

Why on Earth should an Israeli government commit resources, and risk the lives of it’s security forces to protect ANY antisemitic individual (ex-pres or no), particularly one who consorts with terrorists sworn to Israel’s destruction?

For that matter, why should the resources of the Secret Service be expended for an unsanctioned visit with people our government refuses to meet with?
Should the administration pay the tab for those who seek to undermine our foreign policy?
While I recognize we cannot have our ex-presidents wandering around the West Bank or Gaza without security, I believe the correct course is for the State Department to forbid the visit (as too dangerous)… but certainly NOT pay for it with Secret Service blood or our tax dollars!

Alalazoo on April 14, 2008 at 7:42 PM

Gee, maybe it’s because they’re as sick of him as we are.

RMCS_USN on April 14, 2008 at 7:44 PM

I’m not sure the Israelis used M60s before 1967. I know they used British Centurions in the late 60s.

While Israel had F4 Phantoms by 1967, until the Six Day War Israel used French and British weapons primarily. In the wake of that war, France established an arms embargo on the Middle East which they only enforced against Israel, refusing to deliver Mirage fighters which had been paid for. Israeli commandos managed to sail five paid for missile boats right out of Cherbourg harbor in 1969, and later a Swiss engineer provided them with the blueprints for the Mirage, on which they based their Kfir fighter.

After the ’67 war, with the Arab countries increasingly in the Soviet orbit, the US started supplying Israel in earnest. Military aid from the US to Israel (usually in the form of credits to be used to purchase US equipment – so aid to Israel could be more accurately described as aid to McDonnel Douglas & Lockheed Martin employees and shareholders) didn’t reach the billion dollar level until Nixon decided to resupply Israel during the 1973 Yom Kippur war, after Israel had lost many front line aircraft and tanks.

Since none of our European “allies” would allow refueling stopovers, planes were flown right off the assembly lines in California and Long Island without insignia, refueled by USAF KC-135s, landed at IAF bases where they were painted with insignia, loaded with weapons and put directly into combat.

It’s not generally known that Israel was badly losing the ’73 war for the first few days. A literal handful of Israeli tankers saved their asses on the Golan, with 260 Israeli tanks facing over 1500 tanks on the Syrian side. Google Zvika Greengold, Shmuel Askarov and Avigdor Kahalani if you want to read about heroes. Askarov had been blown out of a tank and was in a hospital recovering from surgery when he realized how grim the situation was. He discharged himself against medical advice and his teenage brother drove him up to the Golan where he cobbled together tank crews. Greengold singlehandidly held off a column of 200 tanks, and five armored divisions referring to himself on the squawk box as “Tzvika Force” so monitoring Syrians wouldn’t realize he was a single tank. He’d pop up over the berm next to the highway, kill a tank, then retreat and go up the road to do it again. When his tank was damaged, he found another one, fighting for 30 hours straight, sometimes alone, sometimes with a small squadron of as many as 16 tanks. It’s possible that Greengold is the preeminent tank ‘ace’ in the world, credited with 60 tanks kills during those 30 hours.

I worked at a scrap yard adjacent to the Detroit Industrial Railway a few miles south of the US Army Tank Command facility in Warren, where they used to build tanks. All summer long in 1974 there were trains packed with M60 tanks destined to replenish our strategic reserve which had been used to resupply the Israelis.

rokemronnie on April 14, 2008 at 7:50 PM

While I’m sure the Secret Service aren’t happy that they are at greater risk because of lack of Shabak coordination, I’m also quite sure they aren’t thrilled about having to put their lives on the line for a tool like Carter.

Hamas knows who their friends are. I’m more likely to find Heidi Klum naked and waiting for me in my office than Hamas is likely to fire missiles with any chance of hitting Carter.

rokemronnie on April 14, 2008 at 7:53 PM

Israel should give him cover in the form of a couple of newly released Hamas turds dressed in red shirts and issued with replica hand phasers.

BL@KBIRD on April 14, 2008 at 7:58 PM

First he tootled off to Russia to make some Peace or another and and was shocked that Russia invaded Afganistan practically the next day. Next, he tootled off to N Korea right in the middle of Clinton’s negotiating through back channels. Now his off to visualize whirled peas. Can no one stop the man! Oh yeah, he declared the Chavez election valid when everyone else said it was stolen.
It’s time for the kids to step in and take the old man’s car keys.
I don’t blame Isreal a bit. They should have not enven let him in the country and then there would be no security issue.

thatcher on April 14, 2008 at 8:00 PM

It seems good for the Americans to learn or be reminded of their common endangerment, and it seems good that the reminder come from the example of a fool whom we rightly despise.

Kralizec on April 14, 2008 at 8:21 PM

thatcher on April 14, 2008 at 8:00 PM

and then there was the stamp of approval for Mugabe

TheCulturalist on April 14, 2008 at 8:25 PM

belad on April 14, 2008 at 4:28 PM

Thanks for the link. I am old enough to remember BCCI.

JiangxiDad on April 14, 2008 at 8:33 PM

The secret service may not have a desire to accompany him but they will not shirk their duty to protect him, no matter what they may think of his desire to make this country and Isreal look bad in the eyes of the world.

I salute the secret service men and women that accompany him. I DO NOT salute him however!

Worst. President. Ever!!!

Vntnrse on April 14, 2008 at 9:24 PM

Nope, sorry Ed. Being an ex-president doesn’t give him impunity for his actions. Why should Israel be expected to put its citizens at risk, both now and possibly in the future, for someone who is undercutting their very efforts simply because he is a former U.S. president? Unless the U.S. and Isreal have a pact, I suspect security is provided to former presidents out of diplomatic courtesy, a concept that Carter appears to have difficulty grasping.

Trainwreck on April 14, 2008 at 9:48 PM

We all reap what we sow…a terrorist enabler and apologist getting whacked by some nutty rag heads would be reaping what he sows. I would feel for any secret Service folks who got hurt, but that would in my opinion, be squarely on the shoulders of the worst president ever. He should not put those outstanding Secret Service men and women at risk so he can go kiss the ass of a muslim terrorist.

jwp1964 on April 14, 2008 at 10:15 PM

Damn Straight!!!!

CynicalOptimist on April 14, 2008 at 10:37 PM

Wow… I am really amazed about what I am reading. Jimmy Carter is OUR ex-president. Even if you don’t like him, he represents our presidency. Once Israel allows him to enter Israel, it seems to me they owe us (America) the duty to protect our ex-President. It’s one thing not to like Carter, but it’s another to allow another country to disrespect our institution like some of you are advocating.

mycowardice on April 15, 2008 at 12:19 AM

mycowardice on April 15, 2008 at 12:19 AM

And I’m equally amazed that he, himself, acts more like an “internationalist” tool, than a US ex-President. I mean, it’s almost as if he’s been trying to be as detrimental as possible to US interests on purpose!

I wish Jimmy Carter was as aware that “…(he) is OUR ex-president…” as you or I are. But then again, he would then turn himself in for all the crap he’s pulled over the years, or feel shame, or something. If only on a Metric scale…

dmh0667 on April 15, 2008 at 1:05 AM

Having lived in Georgia when this anti-semitic fool was governor (no great shakes at that either); I must warn you that the iron magnolia (Rosalyn) will probably insist on a full bore state funeral. She’s never forgiven “John Q. Public” for not re-electing her Jimmah.

Supporting this old fool and giving him political cover is not respecting the office. IF Carter had any respect for the office he wouldn’t be making such an ass of himself. Respect is a two-way street!!

poodlemom on April 15, 2008 at 3:12 AM

Jimmy, the Dummy, Carter goes on his own risk. Actually I think the Secret Service should decline to accompany him any longer. He’s proven on more than one occasion to not be an American. There are a lot of tags you could add to Carter’s name – Idiot stands out.

JAT on April 15, 2008 at 7:20 AM

Having lived in Georgia all my life, all of you please understand that we Georgian’s(can’t speak for everyone) are extremely embarassed by Carter.

In his last book he equated the Israeli’s to South Africa’s apartheid policy. In case Carter does not want to know the truth, the wall Israel erected has saved countless lives.

Now he is going to meet with one of the world’s leading terrorist. I read that despite the adverse reaction of the White House as well as leading Congrss People, including many Democrats, he is doing it anyway.

Please, Carter, just go retire to you peanut farm. We already have enough problems.

tazmebro on April 15, 2008 at 7:33 AM

Bang!!!

Golfer_75093 on April 15, 2008 at 8:56 AM

“…how Americans will view them if their refusal to cooperate on security leads to American deaths on this trip.”

I will view it as Israel doing the right thing, because this commie trash Carter is only helping the rag head scum murder people! If Carter gets killed I say GOOD RIDENCE TO A COMMIE PIECE OF CRAP!

Confederate on April 15, 2008 at 9:01 AM

This issue goes well beyond “political policies” Ed. If Carter wanted to invite Bin Laden here for talks would you be for protecting him?

echosyst on April 15, 2008 at 10:02 AM

I couldn’t disagree more.

When Jimmy Carter starts acting a little less like the anti-American former President, and more like a respectful former President, then he will begin to deserve the respect that goes with the office.

Besides: JC is our ex-President, and as such we may be stuck with him as a national black-eye. But Israel is not. Good for Shin Bet and good for Israel for saying enough is enough of Carter’s Crap.

seanrobins on April 15, 2008 at 12:03 PM

If the Jimmy wants to stand for the rights of unpopular “non”-Christian populations, let him show up in Eldorado, TX on behalf of American polygamist women and children.

Not only fundamentalist-”orthodox” Mormons believe in the virtue of polygamy, but also the great American progressive socialist George Bernard Shaw. “Shaw advocated the abolition of traditional marriage in favor of more eugenically acceptable polygamy under the auspices of a State Department of Evolution and a new ‘eugenic religion.’ … What was therefore required was a ‘human stud farm’ in order to ‘eliminate the Yahoo whose vote will wreck the commonwealth. … towards the undesirable elements…’we should place them in the lethal chamber and get rid of them.” [THAT, BTW, Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes accomplished.--see p251] p250, Liberal Fascism.

As Jonah Goldberg points out, Progressivism was born of the fascist moment and has never faced up to its inheritance. Today’s liberals have inherited progressive prejudice wholesale, believing that traditionalists and religious conservatives are dangerous threats to progress. But this assumption means that liberals are blind to fascitic threats from their own ranks.–p254, Liberal Fascism.

maverick muse on April 15, 2008 at 12:40 PM

I disagree, Ed.

I can understand the argument that it is the office of the Presidency which is deserving of protection –even if the person who occupied it has shown himself to utterly devoid of merit.

I can also see that the Israeli refusal to provide protection for this individual will lead to increased risk for the brave and noble Secret Service agents whose sworn duty it is to protect even this undeserving miscreant with their lives.

The solution –though I don’t know enough about the organizational relationships to even speculate on how it could be brought about — is as an earlier commenter suggested: Simply withdraw Secret Service protection for Carter on this trip (and possibly for good and all). There are plenty of private security firms which could be retained for the detail, and who would discharge their contractual obligations as free agents making professional choices. They would not be acting as operatives of the American State, implicitly legitimizing this outrageous, unsanctioned folly.

The lovely irony of, say, Blackwater providing (competent and formidable) protection for this enemy of the State would be worth the price of the ticket for me!

Noocyte on April 15, 2008 at 1:45 PM

…that is, “to be utterly devoid of merit”

Noocyte on April 15, 2008 at 1:46 PM