Tapper: Obama and allies dodging the point

posted at 6:45 pm on April 13, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

Yesterday I wrote that Barack Obama and the Democrats tried to dodge the most offensive part of his remarks in San Francisco by defending only the “bitterness” allegation. I also said that the national media had begun to focus on the same thing rather than the condescending dismissal of religious faith and gun-rights advocacy as caused by economic turbulence, and the broad assumption of xenophobia and bigotry among small-town Midwesterners. Jake Tapper at ABC has noticed the same trend:

As Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., and his allies have locked into damage control mode and attempted to explain his controversial remarks about small-town Pennsylvanians, they’ve attempted to focus their pushback away from the most controversial part of his remarks to an elite crowd at a San Francisco fundraiser. …

While the description of small town Pennsylvanians as “bitter” is certainly impolitic, many political analysts say it’s what follows that adjective that is potentially so alienating — the notion that small town folks “get bitter” after which “they cling to guns or religion, or antipathy to people who aren’t like them, or anti-immigrant sentiment, or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations.”

But Obama allies are trying to focus on the “bitter” part alone.

It’s understandable. Had he just stopped there, he would have had an arguable point. Unfortunately, he didn’t stop there — and he revealed the snobby, elitist view of middle America that is held by the hard Left. Perhaps more media outlets allow him this defense because they also don’t understand the offensive and snobbish nature of the remarks that follow.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Grow Fins on April 13, 2008 at 10:37 PM

How many people, real people not statistics, do you personally know who are hurting?

Oldnuke on April 13, 2008 at 11:03 PM

But Algore lives in the Midwest, which is mired in despair, poverty and bitterness. How could he be rich then? I didn’t even know he had found a job. Congratulations to him.

JiangxiDad on April 13, 2008 at 11:01 PM

Define job.

Sigy on April 13, 2008 at 11:04 PM

Grow Fins on April 13, 2008 at 10:49 PM

Give us the address of the last soup kitchen you personally visited.

Oldnuke on April 13, 2008 at 11:06 PM

Well, whether a lot of people are hurting are only some people are hurting, I can’t see much in either Obama’s or Clinton’s policies that will alleviate the problem. Unless one wants to have all of those people work for the state.

Raising the capital gains tax rates sure isn’t going to help those in the Rust Belt get jobs, that’s for sure.

And both want to do that.

SteveMG on April 13, 2008 at 11:06 PM

Lots.

Grow Fins on April 13, 2008 at 11:07 PM

Give us the address of the last soup kitchen you personally visited.

Grow Fins on April 13, 2008 at 11:08 PM

JiangxiDad, AlGore lives in Nashville Tennessee, or at least that’s where his big ol’ energy guzzling barn of house is. Don’t think that’d be considered the Midwest.

Oldnuke on April 13, 2008 at 11:09 PM

Oldnuke on April 13, 2008 at 11:09 PM

Crap. thought I was gonna get away with it! Tks bud.

JiangxiDad on April 13, 2008 at 11:11 PM

Al Gore lives in several places. They’re all as bloated as he and his ego are.

Grow Fins, you should be Grow Spin.

Entelechy on April 13, 2008 at 11:12 PM

This CNN Compassion Forum is the biggest crock I’ve ever seen. They’re asking Clinton right now about the Father, Son and the Holy Ghost. This is an obvious ploy by the Drive by Media to have the Libs appeal to blue collar people of faith. Too bad their nominee just insulted this very demographic while speaking to billionaire atheist libs in SAN FRANCISCO last week. lol.

THE CHOSEN ONE on April 13, 2008 at 11:12 PM

Once in the not too distant past, Hillary belittled Obama as “just words”, intimating that perhaps one needs more to be qualified for President of the United States.
Obama and camp went on the counter offensive, and I clearly remember him defending his oratory prowess, and the power of words in general. I’m paraphrasing (no photographic memory here) but here’s the jist of what he said. Was “Ich bin Ein Berliner” just words? Were “the only thing we have to fear is fear itself” just words? Were “I have a dream…” just words? He was calculating that the considerable power of his verbal skills would motivate a public hungry for “change” to action on his behalf. Here was a man happy to own his words, and the power they held for him.
And now? Now that his words are beginning to reflect his thinking and their underlying attitudes? Now we see him first denying, then obsfucating, then ruminating on being out of context, then trying to redefine the “point” of his statement. In short, we see him spinning as furiously as a centrifuge.
Verbal gaffes like his would be understandable coming from Bush, a man whose words fail him often, but for Barack Hussein Obama?
Sorry Barack, but you need to own
all of your words

OneEyedJack on April 13, 2008 at 11:12 PM

Lots.
Grow Fins on April 13, 2008 at 11:07 PM

Grow Fins on April 13, 2008 at 11:08 PM

Yeah, that’s what I figured. You’re just full of useless talking points and no real concrete information.

Oldnuke on April 13, 2008 at 11:12 PM

Grow Fins, you should be Grow Spin.

Entelechy on April 13, 2008 at 11:12 PM

Now now, have you not considered the very likely possibility that she is in college and practicing her new-found political leanings?

JiangxiDad on April 13, 2008 at 11:13 PM

Entelechy on April 13, 2008 at 11:12 PM

Yeah, he’s got a house up in Northern Virginia too, but it’s only a tiny little 4000 sqft thing. Another one in Carthage Tennessee too but I don’t know how big it is.

Oldnuke on April 13, 2008 at 11:15 PM

Yeah, he’s got a house up in Northern Virginia too,

Uh, that’s the midwest one I meant.

JiangxiDad on April 13, 2008 at 11:16 PM

Also, in late 2005, the Gores bought a condominium at San Francisco’s St. Regis.

The Tennessee bloated one is here.

Entelechy on April 13, 2008 at 11:18 PM

JiangxiDad on April 13, 2008 at 11:16 PM

Oh yeah that’s in the Midwest all right. More like the liberal North. That’s why we make the distinction between NoVa and RoVa. Rest of Virginia.

Oldnuke on April 13, 2008 at 11:18 PM

I don’t want to personalize what should be a discussion of the issues; unfortunately you do. This isn’t about me, or the people I know, or the soup kitchens I have or haven’t visited.

Grow Fins on April 13, 2008 at 11:20 PM

or the people I know,

Do they eat the soup, or is that other people you don’t know?

JiangxiDad on April 13, 2008 at 11:21 PM

Yes, good point. But when you talk about your experiences and what you’ve seen, it’s only natural for others to question you about those experiences.

Right?

If you wish to cite national statistics or numbers and not personal anecdotes, then we can discuss those issues and leave out our own personal experiences.

SteveMG on April 13, 2008 at 11:23 PM

Grow Fins on April 13, 2008 at 11:20 PM

I didn’t ask for any personal details at all. I asked for a number and the address of a place that should be open to the public. You could provide neither. I can only assume that you
1. Don’t know anyone actually “Hurting”
2. Have never been to a soup kitchen.

Oldnuke on April 13, 2008 at 11:23 PM

JiangxiDad

Dunno. I’ll ask ‘em when they get back from the Klan rally.

Grow Fins on April 13, 2008 at 11:23 PM

Here’s Al Gore’s farm.

Entelechy on April 13, 2008 at 11:24 PM

They see the misery the last eight years have wrought.

Grow Fins on April 13, 2008 at 10:37 PM

Search for “poverty in Ohio” and tell me what you find.

Grow Fins on April 13, 2008 at 10:49 PM

I hate to say it but Grow Fins is right. I did a search on poverty in Ohio and and found this. Things look really bad there.

FloatingRock on April 13, 2008 at 11:24 PM

Assume away, oldnuke. My personal presence at a soup kitchen has zero to do with the reality of poverty in Ohio.

Grow Fins on April 13, 2008 at 11:26 PM

We spend billion and billions on food stamps.
And our poor, I’m proud to say, are the fattest folks in the country.
What’s with this “soup kitchen” crap? This isn’t 1933, you know. We have a 5% unemployment rate – almost a full point below 1996′s.
The Dims are full of it, as usual.

TexasJew on April 13, 2008 at 11:27 PM

I can only assume that you
1. Don’t know anyone actually “Hurting”
2. Have never been to a soup kitchen.

Oldnuke on April 13, 2008 at 11:23 PM

Don’t you have an imagination, or a heart??

JiangxiDad on April 13, 2008 at 11:28 PM

And after the lousy dinner I had, I could use some soup.

JiangxiDad on April 13, 2008 at 11:29 PM

Give us the address of the last soup kitchen you personally visited.

Oldnuke on April 13, 2008 at 11:06 PM

I visited a Hillary fund raiser just last week and an Obama fund raiser just the week before. I remember they were both in San Fransisco, although at my age I have trouble recalling exact addresses.

Hillary’s fund raiser had Filet Mignon and asparagus au gratin and Obama’s had Lobster and a scrumptious Chicken Cacciatore.

But they both had a kitchen someplace around I am sure and they both did also have soup, in fact four varieties to choose from at Obama’s fund raiser and six varsities at Hillary’s fund raiser, and so the answer to your general question, at least from what I have seen, about soup and kitchens would have to be yes.

Sigy on April 13, 2008 at 11:30 PM

JiangxiDad on April 13, 2008 at 11:28 PM

I had a heart. My dog ate it.

Oldnuke on April 13, 2008 at 11:30 PM

Sigy on April 13, 2008 at 11:30 PM

Yep and I’m sure they were ladling it out to the homeless lined up around the block…right?

Oldnuke on April 13, 2008 at 11:33 PM

Sigy on April 13, 2008 at 11:30 PM

Perhaps you can suggest to them (if you can find the place again)that if they have any leftovers that they be sent to Ohio. Apparently they are into soup there.

JiangxiDad on April 13, 2008 at 11:33 PM

I have the heart of a liberal.

I keep it in a jar, under my desk.

(old joke but I’m got no new ones)

SteveMG on April 13, 2008 at 11:34 PM

They see the misery the last eight years have wrought.

Grow Fins on April 13, 2008 at 10:37 PM

I’ve lived in this country in these past 7+ years (you made up almost one full year, Pinocchio). Also, longer than that.

While people weren’t starving under the other presidents either, a few facts about the last few years, enlightening you that no president has too much effect over our economy or standard of living, at least not as much as you think:

- I’ve never seen airports as busy as they are now. I travel much and can’t hardly run fast due to crowds.
- The cars on the road have never been this new, and this big. And there are hardly any clunkers, which used to litter the road under all other presidents since I’ve lived here.
- The houses are larger than ever before.
- The unemployment is low.
- The interest rates are low.
- 3-5 TVs to a household
- Long lines at any restaurant, for lunch or dinner
- Brats spoiled with all one can imagine
- On, and on, and on
- Americans never had it this good, never!

To be sure, not much of this is attributed to Bush, nor do I laud Clinton for much of his years either, on the economy. Too much credit, or blame, is attributed to presidents, when in fact it has not much to do with them. You’re very naive.

Entelechy on April 13, 2008 at 11:35 PM

Hey, folks? People are like children. Any attention is good attention. If you give attention to people who have bad facts, bad logic, and bad arguments, they’ll just keep making those bad arguments with bad facts and bad logic.

When someone says that the nationwide 5% unemployment rate is the Wall Street Journal spin, it’s time to ignore them until they come with something a tiny bit more substantial.

Do not reward “Nanny nanny boo boo, stick your head in doo doo.” Do not reward the same evasive talking points and changing of subject.

MCCAIN ’08: AT LEAST HE DOESN’T HATE AMERICA!

misterpeasea on April 13, 2008 at 11:35 PM

1. Don’t know anyone actually “Hurting”
2. Have never been to a soup kitchen.

Oldnuke on April 13, 2008 at 11:23 PM

Or, do you know anyone who has gotten hurt at a soup kitchen?
Perhaps by a “soup nazi”?

Al this talk is making me hungry for some Progresso Minestrone!

TexasJew on April 13, 2008 at 11:36 PM

Here’s a link to a soup kitchen in Ohio. Actually a homelsee shelter. I wonder if ‘fins’ has ever been here.

Oldnuke on April 13, 2008 at 11:36 PM

I just block them so I don’t have to read their comments anymore.

JiangxiDad on April 13, 2008 at 11:39 PM

Al Gore lives in several places. They’re all as bloated as he and his ego are.

Entelechy on April 13, 2008 at 11:12 PM

I like big fat bloated men like Al Gore. They make more noise when they fall. Adios.

Tuco on April 13, 2008 at 11:41 PM

Just to help you with your Espanglish. Al Gore= El Gordo.

JiangxiDad on April 13, 2008 at 11:43 PM

Not to be hard-hearted, but being poor and/or homeless in Youngstown, Ohio seems to point to the absolute neccessity of getting the hell out and going some place where there is something called “lots of work”. Try my state: not a whole lot of crappy unions, but we have been booming for over 35 years.

The picture of that little boy was heartbreaking.. I hate to know what his family life must be like.. and why his idiotic parent(s) don’t get food stamps.

TexasJew on April 13, 2008 at 11:44 PM

Oldnuke on April 13, 2008 at 11:33 PM

Well I remember someone saying that the homeless would get any leftovers but then Michael Moore showed up and ate all the leftovers.

Sigy on April 13, 2008 at 11:44 PM

Tuco on April 13, 2008 at 11:41 PM

And sometimes they never get up.

FloatingRock on April 13, 2008 at 11:45 PM

TexasJew on April 13, 2008 at 11:44 PM

It’s quite true. One could even come to my state, NY, where the food and healthcare are free for the asking, plenty of government provided housing, legal svces, you name it. People have been coming here for it for more than 35 years. Or you could do the same in New England, or CA. Guess the weather could help you make your decision.

JiangxiDad on April 13, 2008 at 11:47 PM

Sigy, I’m glad they let you in during the last registration. You’re a funny one. We need some humorous relief around here, especially during a time when nerves are on edge, and people fight over their political pet peeves, or against the others’ candidates.

Entelechy on April 13, 2008 at 11:47 PM

Sigy on April 13, 2008 at 11:30 PM

I’ve always felt that people serve crap food at extravagant events, and the richer you are, the more you feel the need to serve exotic (IE: disgusting) food. If I’m ever at a wedding again and they’re serving seafood I’m taking back my gift and going home. I didn’t starve myself for two days to eat seaweed and aquatic cockroaches.

Darth Executor on April 13, 2008 at 11:50 PM

Darth Executor on April 13, 2008 at 11:50 PM

LOL. I always thought you were a guy! Agree about the food though. I told my wife today that at my next wedding, I’m having pizza. God’s honest truth.

JiangxiDad on April 13, 2008 at 11:52 PM

What do the Clintons have on the honchos at ABC? They and FOXNews are the only 2 media outlets not licking his boots.

SouthernGent on April 13, 2008 at 11:53 PM

They see the misery the last eight years have wrought.

Grow Fins on April 13, 2008 at 10:37 PM

Agitprop, so that the Messiah or Hillary can swoop in and pretend to ‘help’ us. They’re not our daddy/mommy and should mind their own business and leave us alone. For you, the best advice I can give you, and I mean this sincerely, and with love, grow up! The sooner you will, the better off you’ll be. Otherwise you will be a ‘slave’, and not a free person.

Life is so much better when you’re accountable for it. Trust me, I’ve lived in communism and don’t wish it on anyone, except the Utopian idealists, who don’t have a clue about what they’re wishing for.

Entelechy on April 13, 2008 at 11:54 PM

SouthernGent on April 13, 2008 at 11:53 PM

You’re OT. The topic is food. Did you mean Nachos when u said honchos?

JiangxiDad on April 13, 2008 at 11:54 PM

They’re not our daddy/mommy and should mind their own business and leave us alone. For you, the best advice I can give you, and I mean this sincerely, and with love, grow up! The sooner you will, the better off you’ll be. Otherwise you will be a ’slave’, and not a free person.

Entelechy on April 13, 2008 at 11:54 PM

I wish you could talk to freshmen in college. Think of all the wasted time you could save them. I even think one could get an education at those places if you knew what to avoid and who not to listen to. That young lady should thank you.

JiangxiDad on April 13, 2008 at 11:57 PM

JiangxiDad on April 13, 2008 at 11:52 PM

I AM a guy. And if I ever run into somebody serving pizza at a wedding I’d be honored to kiss his ring and call him godfather.

Darth Executor on April 13, 2008 at 11:58 PM

I AM a guy

How? You said you lose weight to go to a wedding.

JiangxiDad on April 14, 2008 at 12:00 AM

How? You said you lose weight to go to a wedding.

JiangxiDad on April 14, 2008 at 12:00 AM

No, I said I starve myself. To eat as much as possible when I get there, not to lose weight.

Darth Executor on April 14, 2008 at 12:02 AM

Darth Executor on April 14, 2008 at 12:02 AM

Makes perfect sense. Never thought of that. Usually stop at Subway before a wedding.

JiangxiDad on April 14, 2008 at 12:03 AM

That young lady should thank you.

JiangxiDad on April 13, 2008 at 11:57 PM

She probably will ban me to hell. I do change many lives, but those which are already open to change.

Entelechy on April 14, 2008 at 12:04 AM

In Praise of Elitism: Obama studies 101

The ineluctability of elitism is why I rankled at the description of Obama’s bitter-small-town-guns-and-God comment as elitist. It was smug; it was self-righteous; it was blinkered, bigoted, emotionally impoverished, and otherwise odious; it but it was not in any normal sense of the word “elitist.”

ninjapirate on April 14, 2008 at 12:05 AM

JiangxiDad on April 13, 2008 at 11:47 PM

No, thanks. We went up to Syracuse a couple of years ago to attend the Bat Mitzvah of a friend’s daughter.

The only Wal-Mart (hated by the local union folk) was hidden off the main road (like it had leprosy) with hardly a sign to mark it, the rest of the town (outside of SU) looked like it had closed down during Jimmy Carter’s administration, most of the people looked overweight, pasty white, depressed and beaten down (to be fair, it was April and not a leaf was on the trees) . Even our 6 year-old daughter wondered what the hell was the problem; you just don’t see scads of people like that out here in West Texas.

Hillary told these poor spuds that she would bring “200,000 jobs” to Upstate New York. Guess they’re still waiting

TexasJew on April 14, 2008 at 12:06 AM

TexasJew on April 14, 2008 at 12:06 AM

Picky :)

JiangxiDad on April 14, 2008 at 12:07 AM

JiangxiDad on April 14, 2008 at 12:03 AM

What a coincidence, I have a 10 dollar Subway gift card. what’s the best sandwich they have? I tried the chicken teriyaki one and was sorely dissappointed.

Darth Executor on April 14, 2008 at 12:09 AM

Darth Executor on April 14, 2008 at 12:09 AM

$10! Dude, you can use that as the next wedding present. I never give that much.

JiangxiDad on April 14, 2008 at 12:10 AM

JiangxiDad on April 14, 2008 at 12:10 AM

I live in the progressive Canadian utopia called Toronto. $10 bucks is what I need to pay at a fastfood place if I want a decent lunch (I’m sick of mcdonald’s value meals)

Darth Executor on April 14, 2008 at 12:18 AM

Ya know, liberals like Barack really don’t understand why Americans hang on to traditions like guns, religion, respect for the law, respect for marriage, etc. They’re looking for something to explain it because it doesn’t make sense to them in their post-modernist socialist world. ‘Bitterness’ is an improvement over inbred stupidity, I guess.

Socratease on April 14, 2008 at 12:18 AM

I live in the progressive Canadian utopia called Toronto

Really like that place. And like the Jays. And I know what you mean about progressive utopia–sucks. Sorry.

Off to bed. have a good one.

JiangxiDad on April 14, 2008 at 12:21 AM

Picky :)

JiangxiDad on April 14, 2008 at 12:07 AM

Picky? Not me! Here’s the real secret of how Hillary won her Senate Seat:

“In his book “What a Party,” former Democratic Chairman (and Syracuse boy) Terry McAuliffe recalls an incident at the 2000 New York State Fair. Rep. Rick Lazio, HRC’s GOP opponent, was offered a sausage sandwich at a stand set up by the Dinosaur Bar-B-Que, a Syracuse landmark.

Lazio turned down the sandwich. McAuliffe saw an opening. “The next day, Hillary and the president went out and gobbled down big old sausage sandwiches loaded with onions,” McAuliffe writes.”

Actually, according to my careful calculations, the barbecue there at the Dinosaur Bar-B-Que would place it about the 4th best barbecue in Lockhart, Texas. Or.. tied for 6th..
OK, it sucked, so I’m an elitist barbecue snob. Just not a bitter one..

TexasJew on April 14, 2008 at 12:21 AM

Good heavens, who knew things in America were so dismal and hopeless? Just tonight, I found out that the country has been “run into the ground”, and that soup kitchens are overflowing.

Don’t worry. As quickly as the chosen Democrat can say “So help me God,” (presuming they will say it…can’t be too sure) the soup kitchens will be deserted, and everything else will be on the upswing as well. Just ask the media.

capitalist piglet on April 14, 2008 at 1:09 AM

My friend out here in West Texas buys the sauce and the rub from Dinosaur, and I’ve brought a bunch of sauce/rub orders back down here from vacation in Syracuse.

Dinosaur’s actually really good, even if pols do use it now as a pandering spot (though if you’ve ever been to the place in downtown Syracuse, I’d love to see Hillary seated at one of the tables jammed behind the speakers near the small stage, while one of her Ichabod Crane-like yes men manage to back one of the “Hillary ’08″ campaign vehicles over several of the Harleys parked outside).

jon1979 on April 14, 2008 at 1:14 AM

TexasJew – You must be in the Austin area. We’ve been to Smitty’s and the big Kreuz place in Lockhart. Just plain good eatin’.

Nice to know that there are one or two other conservatives here. This is Obama country for sure.

inmypajamas on April 14, 2008 at 1:28 AM

jon1979 on April 14, 2008 at 1:14 AM
inmypajamas on April 14, 2008 at 1:28 AM

Mea culpa -
Maybe I was unfair to Dinosaur. I just thought that it was too sauce-y; I like the slow-cooked stuff you get in Lockhart and Luling. Black’s/Kreuz/Luling Market, etc.
I actually am out here in far West Texas -El Paso-, and I work in the awl patch of the Permian Basin about 300-400 miles east, around Odessa and San Angelo (and, yes- Eldorado, where all those kids were taken from). In fact, I’m out in the field more than here at the house.
I do get to Austin quite a bit, and am a teasip alumnus (Geological Sciences) .
My petroleum geology buddies in Austin are horrified at all the Obama clones there. Austin wasn’t always such a pathetic craphole, politically.

By the way, the greatest barbecue I have ever had was from the late Jerry Jacobs on Bee Caves and South Lamar, at Jerry Jacobs Barbecue. The building is still there, but Jerry passed away over 30 years ago. He was DEFINITELY not a Hillary/Obama kind of guy!

TexasJew on April 14, 2008 at 1:56 AM

Oops – I meant Barton Springs and South Lamar.
It’s now the “Green Mesquite” or something, but it’s nothing at all like it was back in the late 60′s-early 70′s when Jerry was slow-cooking his briskets. Boy, that was something else!

TexasJew on April 14, 2008 at 2:21 AM

So they exercise their First and Second Amendment rights, want people to adhere to the law and agree with Nancy Pelosi and the Democrats on trade?

Which of those things is Obama against?

schmuck281 on April 14, 2008 at 2:28 AM

Heh. Metro-Bama has been clinging to his own church like a life jacket on the Titanic.

Luckily, his Afro-centric church isn’t xenophobic, they just hate white America which is a good thing

Obama wisely fought off pressure to wear an American flag lapel pin. That would have been giving in to bitterness.

Obama’s preacher even chants G-D-America to keep his parishoners from resorting to guns, or NASCAR.

I rue the day Obama learns he had never been a slave. He may become bitter and sad. He may become angry and go gunning after the ones who did not enslave him.

Pennsyvania fought for the Union and is the site of the battle of Gettysburg. President Lincoln who saw the deaths of hundreds of thousands in his war had to wave his religion in people’s faces when he spoke

we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain—that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom

That is why Obama clings to his own church. He needs to exorcise such horrific images of people clinging to God, guns, and love of patria

entagor on April 14, 2008 at 3:30 AM

Does Barry explain why his own WIFE is a miserable, bitter bitch?

Barry could use to do some housecleaning before telling people how crappy they are for not voting for Barry.

This guy is more brazenly assholeish than Evel Knievel.

benrand on April 14, 2008 at 5:13 AM

Barry is describing his wife, Michelle, the wonderful woman who is afraid of white people.

benrand on April 14, 2008 at 5:22 AM

If I understand “the latest” (about Obama at the Messiah College) correctly, he said that “it’s in the Bible” about “clinging.”

Well, if he’s going to parse, let’s remind him about how he clearly dumped religion (as item #2) into his single liberal laundry list of “evils”…and not a pick-and-choose “bad-then good-then bad again, and reaaaaallllly bad” method.

Nice try, Obi.

Lockstein13 on April 14, 2008 at 7:17 AM

Us knuckle dragging Pennsylvanians are very used to being lectured to by racial elitists. I’m 60, living outside of Philadelphia, been hearing it for fifty years. Sure, there’s gun crime in the suburbs and the outback of Pennsylvania, but it’s the exception, not the rule. In the city it’s the rule not the exception. Tell us more about us BO.

John Cunningham on April 14, 2008 at 8:03 AM

I watched this and I’m laughing. But this is Hillary and Obama’s wish for this country though, at least in my opinion. Then when we are all disarmed and bitter, starving and naked, the nanny state can step in and fix everything.

abcurtis on April 14, 2008 at 8:06 AM

Well, I cant speak to poverty in Ohio, but I know a little about it in Virginia. My heart about broke one afternoon at the grocery store, a woman with about four kids around her was paying for her food with food stamps. Of course while she was doing this all the time she was chatting on a cell phone, and that sure was a nice leather jacket she was wearing. And from the size of her she could have benefitted from missing a few meals. I dont know what kind of car she had, but I’m sure she had one.
But that’s just my personal experience – I have no stats. But if you all want the address of that particular grocery I can provide it.

abcurtis on April 14, 2008 at 8:11 AM

In a discussion about Obama’s idiotic statements on Fox & Friends, Brian “The Judge” Napolitano called Obama’s views Marxist this morning.

Buy Danish on April 14, 2008 at 8:12 AM

And liberals like Obamessiah and Hillary have no clue on what the second amendment is all about. They are stuck on stupid preaching it’s about hunting.

abcurtis on April 14, 2008 at 8:17 AM

Why aren’t Barack and his ‘former’ pastor reaching out to those bitter townies clinging to religion? Doesn’t his church have an uplifting message? Shouldn’t he be lifting them up instead of putting them down?

Doug on April 14, 2008 at 9:26 AM

TexasJew on April 14, 2008 at 2:21 AM

The next time you go out to Austin, stop off in Llano and try out Coopers BBQ. The best I have found in the Hill Country. George Bush’s favorite too.

conservnut on April 14, 2008 at 10:15 AM

conservnut on April 14, 2008 at 10:15 AM

We stopped in there on our way back from a funeral in West Texas last year. It’s a tiny little establishment, so we asked about the photos of the President eating there. The proprietor is shy but he got a big ol’ grin on! And the food was indeed sublime. Bring a change of clothes with you, you’ll be glad you ate in a shirt you don’t care gets splattered. A true Texas treasure!

Salt Lick in Dripping Springs is good too. I love there homemade potato salad and have never tasted a better coleslaw.

RushBaby on April 14, 2008 at 11:31 AM

Buy Danish on April 14, 2008 at 8:12 AM

Michelle O. grinned, and said “Thank you Judge, you are very perceptive”.

Entelechy on April 14, 2008 at 12:01 PM

“This CNN Compassion Forum is the biggest crock I’ve ever seen.” Chosen One.
Dang, I nearly feel off the davenport when i saw it! Democrats using Dubya’s Compassion(ate Conservative) soundbite, amazin’. Well, they’re so much ‘smarter’ than us bitter folks so we gotta let ‘em make complete fools out of themselves. Pass the popcorn.

Christine on April 14, 2008 at 12:14 PM

“I see on Fox just now how Hillary (in her words)grew up at her grandfather’s rustic cabin in the woods, shooting guns and stuff. She was also shown in a bar knocking back Crown Royals and beer with the proletariat. Look for a release of her at a shooting range. Look for it – it’s going to happen unless Obamessiah’s people come up with it first.”
abcurtis on April 14, 2008 at 8:17 AM

That was a hoot…she did a dainty three-sip shot then later I saw her hoist the beer mug to her ‘kisser’ several times, but no beer was consumed. My guess is that she doesn’t want to get all gassy +/or get a hangover…there’s no tellin’ what she might say happened that night with the good ol’ boys.
Ya gotta hand it to Herself, she really will stop at nothing and I’m with abcurtis, she’ll be at the shooting range soon pretending to like shootin’ off guns, cuz her great, great grandma was Annie Oakley…
As far as the gun issue is concerned i was completely brainwashed against guns (as a lefty) until I slowly turned to the right. The old libs, the ‘progressives’, and the far lefties just don’t get it and they never will.

Christine on April 14, 2008 at 12:31 PM