Obama tries again: You know, I probably could have said it better

posted at 12:35 pm on April 12, 2008 by Allahpundit

His team’s had time now to sand down the edges of the spin, so here’s the more polished version of last night’s Cliff’s Notes reading of “What’s the Matter with Kansas?” The nut graf via ABC:

There are a whole bunch of folks in small towns in Pennsylvania, in towns right here in Indiana, in my home town in Illinois, who are bitter. They are angry… So I said, well ya know, when you’re bitter, you turn to what you can count on. So people, ya know they vote about guns or they take comfort from their faith, and their family, and their community, and they get mad about illegal immigrants who are coming over to this country, or they get frustrated about how things are changing. That’s a natural response.

If his original statement boiled down to “religion is the opiate of the masses,” think of this as adding, “and what wonderful things opiates are.” He’s stuck with the insinuation about false consciousness: There’s no other way to read what he told the glitterati in San Francisco except as asserting that the working class’s interest in God, guns, and border enforcement is, to some greater or lesser extent, insincere. They might sincerely believe in gun rights but surely they wouldn’t vote those beliefs at the expense of their class interests unless they were being duped somehow by the bourgeoisie. The point of today’s spin is to make clear that, contra Uncle Karl, he thinks God, guns, and border enforcement are all peachy keen and perfectly legit, albeit surely not subjects that should influence the rational voter. Insofar as they do, all we’re seeing is the “natural response” when ownership exploits the worker. Ed did a bang-up job in this post, but the more I re-read what Obama said, the more I’m drawn to the very end of it as the “tell” — i.e. “a way to explain their frustrations.” That’s where the false-consciousness logic really flowers. The choice of verb speaks volumes.

All this really is, of course, is a variation on the left’s refrain about the “politics of fear,” in which any issue that might conceivably benefit a conservative opponent — immigration, “values,” and above all terrorism — is waved away as a stumbling block to progress contrived by The Man to keep the People down. Like I said yesterday, in Obamaworld, everything’s a distraction. Even, it seems, the things “you can count on.”

Update: If you see video of this anywhere, send me the link. Sounds like a humdinger.

Clinton told an audience of automotive workers here that she was “taken aback by the demeaning remarks Sen. Obama made about people in small town America.”

“Sen. Obama’s remarks are elitist and out of touch,” she said. “they are not reflective of the values and beliefs of Americans, certainly not the Americans I know, not the Americans I grew up with, not the Americans I lived with in Arkansas or represent in New York.”…

“Americans who believe in God believe it’s a matter of personal faith,” she said, to periodic applause. “People of faith I know don’t cling to religion because they are bitter. People embrace faith not because they are materially poor but because they are spiritually rich.”

On the issue of guns, Clinton said: “People of all walks of life hunt, and they enjoy doing do because its an important part of their life, not because they are bitter.”

“I don’t think it helps to divide our country into one America that is enlightened and one that is not,” Clinton continued…

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

You guys just hate hearing it because the truth ain’t pretty.

The ‘truth’ in this case being that Obama thinks that happiness and contentment come by the result of governmental policy, and that people’s interests only arise when the government fails to fulfill the populace. It’s a faulty political philosophy and it presupposes that people don’t have legitmately varied interests.

Moreover, he does that in two of the most treasured topics: one of which is faith – which is highly personal and cannot be accurately judged by a third party, and the other constitutionally reserved rights. He is out of touch; even Hillary can see it.

Spirit of 1776 on April 12, 2008 at 4:56 PM

I have no problem whatsoever with what Obama said.

You guys just hate hearing it because the truth ain’t pretty.

Dave Rywall on April 12, 2008 at 4:48 PM

He can say what he wants we do have freedom of speech, however actions do have consequences, and this reflects poorly on him.

Chakra Hammer on April 12, 2008 at 5:10 PM

As a uniter Obama is a failure.

Chakra Hammer on April 12, 2008 at 5:11 PM

I have no problem whatsoever with what Obama said.

You guys just hate hearing it because the truth ain’t pretty.

Dave Rywall on April 12, 2008 at 4:48 PM

OMG you’re right! I could probably do my job so much better if I wasn’t hugging my Bible and shotgun at the same time.

Kowboy on April 12, 2008 at 5:15 PM

I have no problem whatsoever with what Obama said.

You guys just hate hearing it because the truth ain’t pretty.
Dave Rywall on April 12, 2008 at 4:48 PM

As a matter of fact, I’m on my way to the local gun-shop, to assuage my bitterness.

franksalterego on April 12, 2008 at 5:23 PM

“Before I begin my explanation of what I meant by dumb Crackers, I need some more Whites sitting behind me. All Blacks, move to the back of the studio and let the Whites get in the camera shot.”

Hening on April 12, 2008 at 5:33 PM

I’m bitter because I have only 5 guns, so I go to church every Sunday and pray for more.

RedWinged Blackbird on April 12, 2008 at 5:34 PM

Maybe since Obama steals his lines from the Massachussetts Governor, he won’t have to take the heat for them.

THE CHOSEN ONE on April 12, 2008 at 5:48 PM

OBAMA: “[O]bviously, if I worded things in a way that made people offended, I deeply regret that. The underlying truth of what I said remains, which is simply that people who have seen their way of life upended because of economic distress are frustrated and rightfully so.”

OKAY OBI, I ACCEPT. It’s just that, well, y’know, I mean, well, even though I’m retired, well, I don’t own “guns” yet (trust me, though, if YOU win, I WILL), I “take comfort from (my) faith,” [for the life of me, I sure don't see that as a weakness, independent from employment status] and [my] “family,” [see previous comment] and (my) “community,” [see previous comment], I don’t “get mad about illegal immigrants who are coming over to this country,” (I ask that the laws on the books BE ENFORCED) and, I I can be hinest with you, Barry, I’m ecstatic about “how things are changing” … towards common sense and reason … meaning towards the RIGHT.

Sorry if that’s, like, a bummer for you, you Marxist Manchurian candidate! Dude….

Lockstein13 on April 12, 2008 at 5:56 PM

Here you go this about sums up some of the hypocrisy.

Chakra Hammer on April 12, 2008 at 6:07 PM

You will note, too, that in his newest (latest and greatest) explication of what he meant in San Francisco, OhBummer drops the endings of his words. This speaking device allows the “rubes” in Indiana to understand his sincerity as champion of the “little people”. How folksy!

Poor Mikey Moore must be gobbling down the doughnuts to quell his anxiety over whether “Jesusland” will rise up and yank the smooth operator from the arena.

Somehow I don’t think that OhBummer’s message to his fan club on Billionaire’s Row was to leave corporate America and dedicate themselves to lives of service to others. (I hope that he at least took a doggy bag of “pie” home to Michelle.)

OhBummer and Wright must be laughing all the way to the bank. They have learned to milk the cash cow for their own aggrandizement.

onlineanalyst on April 12, 2008 at 6:34 PM

Every day he steps into something. The entertainment factor is over the top. To make things even better I suggest they drag out the harpie wife for a few words. Dumb and Dumber, but very entertaining. However, if this idiot becomes our leader I’m moving to Canada.

UnEasyRider on April 12, 2008 at 6:48 PM

Obama’s schitck of sticking his foot in his mouth and then explaining to us that his foot is actually still on the ground, that we just erroneously “perceived” it in his mouth, is getting old and tiring. Like pissing on your boot and then telling you that he’s just shining it. This bonafide schmuck’s arrogance gets in his way of understanding that we see through his bullcrap.

second digit on April 12, 2008 at 6:56 PM

If I had been asked one year ago if it was possible for the dhimmicrats to nominate an individual that I could despise more than the Clintons I would have laughed out loud. However, the dhimmicrats have done the impossible and given us Obama who I do despise more than the Clintons. It is simply amazing how this party every four years can produce unelectable presidential candidates.

dawgyear on April 12, 2008 at 7:17 PM

I can see it now. Obama calling for a press conference, probably on pay-per-view this time, where he can read his form-apology.

oakpack on April 12, 2008 at 8:04 PM

Obama = typical white person liberal

Django on April 12, 2008 at 8:15 PM

You know, this Obama fellow is turning into a really reprehensible person.

I mean, apart from its laws, history, people, culture, economy, religions, and traditions, what doesn’t he love about America?

Merovign on April 12, 2008 at 8:35 PM

Uhh, Dave Rywall?

You and the rest of the smart set aren’t helping Obama even a little bit by agreeing that, of course, it’s true. You’re merely exposing the fact that ALL liberals have the Marxist mindset that anything that distracts people from voting for liberals is a result of false consciousness.

————–

MCCAIN ’08: AT LEAST HE DOESN’T HATE AMERICA

misterpeasea on April 12, 2008 at 9:10 PM

Better Headline: “Obama Gives His Standard Chump Speech.”

Dr. Charles G. Waugh on April 13, 2008 at 12:08 AM

The fact that an invited “billionaire for Hillary” operative went to the billionaire row party, had the speech recorded in secret, then gave it to the HuffPoo, normally Obama’s playground, to give Hillary the opportunity to get back on top, at the most critical time, is Shakespearean.

She’s so full of caca, and in the same billionaires’ laps, and might get away with it because Obama’s naivite made him say such stupid things in San Francisco, in the bossom of idealistic, rich, elitist, billionaire filth.

If she does, imagine the wrath, the hell Pelosi, Reid, Richardson, the Kennedys, and a slu of others will pay.

Entelechy on April 13, 2008 at 2:57 AM

A “Dave S.” posted this on liberalland…I thought it was worth sharing:

Personally, I think that you go into some of these left-wing blogs, and like a lot of self-proclaimed “liberal” enclaves, they perceive that their true died-in-the-wool leftist candidates have been gone now since 1968 and nobody has replaced them. They saw huge losses in the 80’s, and then later with Kerry and Gore… so it’s not surprising then they get bitter, they cling to environmentalism or Marxist dogma or antipathy to people who aren’t like them–anti-religious sentiment, perhaps–as a way to explain their frustrations. It shouldn’t come as a surprise that they latch on to some vague, ethereal concept of “change” to give purpose to their lives.

Lockstein13 on April 13, 2008 at 6:32 AM

Are liberals EVER going to get it? Gun ownership is NOT about hunting – it’s about keeping an oppressive government off your back. That’s why liberals dont like gun ownership – why they only want government officials to be armed. The intent of the Founding Fathers was to keep us “common folk” free – read the Federalist Papers, Hill.

abcurtis on April 13, 2008 at 9:07 AM

OBAMA GIVES HISTORIC SPEECH ON BITTERNESS

MASSIVE THRILL RUNS UP CHRIS MATTHEWS LEG, RENDERING HIM STERILE

Chuck Schick on April 13, 2008 at 12:12 PM

Obama tries again: “You know. I probably could have said it better.”

Yea! He could have said: “I apologize. I didn’t mean to offend you. Being Neanderthal King has always been my goal.”

Dr. Charles G. Waugh on April 13, 2008 at 12:29 PM

OBAMA GIVES HISTORIC SPEECH ON BITTERNESS

MASSIVE THRILL RUNS UP CHRIS MATTHEWS LEG, RENDERING HIM STERILE

Chuck Schick on April 13, 2008 at 12:12 PM

Dude, Chis Matthews was sterile to begin with…

CynicalOptimist on April 13, 2008 at 2:34 PM

Is he running for Rev. Wright’s old job or is he running for president? Every time he talks, I feel like I’m listening to a sermon by a liberal pastor.

Livefreeordie on April 13, 2008 at 2:56 PM

We’ve all had time to construct and deconstruct our thoughts on his words/wording and their impact on our personal feelings. I’m leaning toward this being a juvenile attempt to paint those that found the words of his pastor so abhorent – as bad, if not worse, than him. The fact his clever attempt backfired and kicked him up side the head is something he’s not used to nor will accept. The fact he was gutless in saying it to a group of billionaires is even funnier, rather than the people he so profoundly insulted. That is a race baiter, and a coward.

If the MSM won’t keep this momemtum going, it is up to the blogospere to keep finding the holes and chinks in his stories. Nobody is better at dissecting words and phrasing than somebody up at 3AM, jacked on caffeine with a keyboard.

24K lady on April 13, 2008 at 4:19 PM

Ok…. just because obama uses petrolium jelly doesn’t mean you still don’t get it in the end….

New nickname for obama… “Vasaline Kid” because he’s so smoooooooth……

CynicalOptimist on April 13, 2008 at 5:29 PM

People need to start adding up all of Obama’s little glitches and take a new view of their messiah. Let’s see: Doesn’t hold his hand over his heart at the pledge of allegiance; doesn’t wear a flag lapel pin, wife isn’t proud of her country, minister of 20 years is a race-baiter and America-hater, arrogant snob, law professor that isn’t, friend of Marxists, anarchists, and bombers, friends and financial partners with criminals, recieves donations from big time criminals, a socialist that wants to tax us to death and redistribute our wealth, gun-hater, abortion-lover, open borders advocate, surrender-jerk, totalitarian glad-hander wannabee, global warming-fanatic, ad infinitum.

second digit on April 12, 2008 at 1:09 PM

I see a really good campaign ad coming…

fossten on April 14, 2008 at 9:12 AM

ALERT TO THE TROLL POLICE I HAVE RESPONDED TO YOUR ANGRY RESPONSES OVER ON THIS THREAD:

You can all go to bed now.

Dave Rywall on April 14, 2008 at 6:57 PM