Obama on small-town voters: Bitter, xenophobic, religious; Update: McCain camp unloads; Update: People “don’t need a president who looks down on them,” says Hillary; Update: Audio added; Update: Obama camp responds — weakly

posted at 4:44 pm on April 11, 2008 by Allahpundit

An outrageous Kinsleyan gaffe? Sure. But give it a day or so, to let the Jedi mind trick work its magic. Then the left will tell us what he “really meant”:

You go into these small towns in Pennsylvania and, like a lot of small towns in the Midwest, the jobs have been gone now for 25 years and nothing’s replaced them…And they fell through the Clinton Administration, and the Bush Administration, and each successive administration has said that somehow these communities are gonna regenerate and they have not.

And it’s not surprising then they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren’t like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations.

What’s most offensive? The condescension displayed here by the intelligentsia’s candidate of choice? The sheer breadth of the stereotype, which would send Team Obama screaming from the rooftops if a white politician drew a similarly sweeping caricature of blacks? The crude quasi-Marxist reductionism of his analysis, which he first introduced in his speech on race vis-a-vis the root causes of whites’ “resentment” — namely, exploitation by the bourgeoisie in the form of corporations and D.C. lobbyists? Or is it the shocking inclusion of religion, of all things, in the litany of sins he recites? What on earth is that doing there, given His Holiness’s repeated invocations of the virtues of faith on the trail? Note the choice of verb, too. Why not just go the whole nine yards and call it the opiate of the masses?

If you missed the Standard’s post a few weeks ago on the various complaints about “distractions” that creep into Obama’s rhetoric, read it now. This is of a piece with it. Everything in the Obama universe, including gun rights evidently, that doesn’t fit his agenda is a byproduct of external forces conspiring to manipulate the masses to keep his agenda at bay. Exit question: How does Hillary leverage this? Does she dare get the video and stick it in an ad?

Update: She’s not going to get a video ad out of it. It wasn’t delivered as part of a speech; how could it have been, given the obnoxiousness of the rhetoric? He said it to a bunch of megarich donors in San Francisco last week. This is how he talks to the liberal elite.

Update: The best part of this story? It’s HuffPo, of all sites, that broke it. His disciples can’t even claim bias in the reporting.

Update: Here we go. Your move, Hillary.

Asked to respond, McCain adviser Steve Schmidt called it a “remarkable statement and extremely revealing.”

“It shows an elitism and condescension towards hardworking Americans that is nothing short of breathtaking,” Schmidt said. “It is hard to imagine someone running for president who is more out of touch with average Americans.”

Follow the link for Jonathan Martin’s assertion that Republicans are itching to “play the elitism card” against Obama, which is journo-speak for “itching to show the public just how elitist Obama is in reality.”

Update: Score. Go for the throat, shameless liar!

“It’s being reported that my opponent said that the people of Pennsylvania who face hard times are bitter,” Clinton said during a campaign event in Philadelphia. “Well that’s not my experience. As I travel around Pennsylvania. I meet people who are resilient, optimist positive who are rolling up their sleeves.”

“Pennsylvanians don’t need a president who looks down on them,” she said. “They need a president who stands up for them, who fights hard for your future, your jobs, your families.”

Update: An intriguing quote from KP:

“It comes off very badly,” Democratic strategist Kirsten Powers said of the small-town America remarks. “They are things that I think in a liberal world sound totally normal, and outside of that world I don’t know that he appreciates how it sounds. And it just sounds very elitist, and it sounds like he’s looking down on people.”

Update: HuffPo’s posted the audio. Sounds like an accurate transcription to me.

Update: Obama answers. No denial, no clarification, just an awkward change of subject to McCain. When does he deliver the Great Speech on Condescension to get himself off the hook for this one?

“Senator Obama has said many times in this campaign that Americans are understandably upset with their leaders in Washington for saying anything to win elections while failing to stand up to the special interests and fight for an economic agenda that will bring jobs and opportunity back to struggling communities. And if John McCain wants a debate about who’s out of touch with the American people, we can start by talking about the tax breaks for the wealthiest Americans that he once said offended his conscience but now wants to make permanent,”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Oh wait…I’m sittin’ on my dead ass during the next election…nevermind

franksalterego on April 11, 2008 at 8:25 PM

Hey frank!
How ’bout if I bring the coffee and donuts?
Home cooked meal?

Help me out here lol.

ArmyAunt on April 11, 2008 at 8:37 PM

optimist positive and people were going ape over Bush’s misunderestimated What is optimist positive? Double happy? Or just not your typical optimist? Perhaps it is a Dungeon & Dragons – esque political alignment? I am Hillary, I am an optimist positive Democrat. My arch enemies are the evil pessimist negative Republicans

jdkchem on April 11, 2008 at 8:38 PM

Could they possibly be bitter because they are being taxed to death yet you are promising more taxes. It might be possible they are bitter at paying $3.50 a gallon for gas while libs keep us from tapping resouces in ANWAR or off our coast. Perhaps they may be a little upset at having to press 1 for English while illegals continue to poor in the country and the libs (and the misguided GOP candidate) push for “comprehensive immigration reform”. Come to think of it, I’m pretty freakin bitter too!

Spider79 on April 11, 2008 at 8:40 PM

Obama is black? The one thing every black person knows is that people hate because they choose to. Why does the KKK hate blacks and Jews? – because they are ass&*les.

But when you are talking to white liberals in San Fransisco, where the terrorist want to kill us because of “poverty” – he posits that white folks in Penn and Ohio hate people of color because they are “poor”.

His statement equates gun ownership, and religiosity with – RACISM! All equal sins in San Fran. Also a part of Obama’s belief system.

UNQUALIFIED.

Agrippa2k on April 11, 2008 at 8:41 PM

Here’s a guarantee that will make you all happy:

When Maverick wins this thing, Olberman will be history. Bet the family farm on it.

THE CHOSEN ONE on April 11, 2008 at 8:19 PM

From your lips to God’s ears!
I cannot stand olberman.

ArmyAunt on April 11, 2008 at 8:41 PM

Whew, thanks for posting this April. For a second there I thought your claim that Americans are all bitter wasn’t based on science!

Chuck Schick on April 11, 2008 at 8:36 PM

It’s based on my experience and my mother’s. You can be as facetious as you like, it doesn’t hurt me one bit.

AprilOrit on April 11, 2008 at 8:41 PM

Obama’s ‘Elitism’ Issue

McCain, Clinton camps slam Obama after Dem reportedly tells wealthy donors that many small-town people ‘cling’ to religion, guns over bitterness from unemployment

Front page of Foxnews.com

ArmyAunt on April 11, 2008 at 8:46 PM

Look guys, I still think it’s better to run against Obama in the Fall, than Madam Kankles.

AprilOrit on April 11, 2008 at 8:37 PM

Have to disagree there. Clinton is nothing more than a two bit politician, perhaps more canny and ruthless but still just a politician at the end of the day. Obama on the other hand, walks on water. The press give him a complete pass and the sheeple will follow the Messiah. He’s scary: In Germany there was a man with that power, and he led them into a world war. While I in no means intend to imply that Obama will do that or slaughter 6 million Jews, I do mean to say that his view of the world will undermine the American concepts of rugged individualism, personal responsibility, and American exceptionalism. Hello Communism, and the efficiency of Cuba.

second digit on April 11, 2008 at 8:46 PM

It’s based on my experience and my mother’s.

I don’t doubt that what you’ve said here is an accurate reflection of what you’ve seen.

But there’s a whole big world outside of you and your mother’s.

You may be right and I may be wrong. But we can’t base our views simply on our own personal experiences. This is, after all, a nation of over 300 million people.

Good luck though. And I mean it.

SteveMG on April 11, 2008 at 8:46 PM

AprilOrit on April 11, 2008 at 8:41 PM

Which is why you chose to respond!

jdkchem on April 11, 2008 at 8:47 PM

Top Story: ‘Small Town’ Showdown: Rivals Rip Obama Talk on ‘Bitter’ Pennsylvanians

Abcnews.com

HAHAAH…they are all on it!

ArmyAunt on April 11, 2008 at 8:49 PM

UNQUALIFIED.

Agrippa2k on April 11, 2008 at 8:41 PM

Maybe because I live in NY and am surrounded my Liberals I see it differently.

My Mom just made a very good point. She said because we live here and we are around so many San Fran types – when they say something off the mark we can basically decipher what they intended to say and look beyond their bad choice of words with regards to meaning.

AprilOrit on April 11, 2008 at 8:50 PM

AprilOrit on April 11, 2008 at 8:41 PM

I couldn’t get the tank filled with mutated seabass. So the snarky rejoinder is going to be it for now.

Chuck Schick on April 11, 2008 at 8:51 PM

AprilOrit on April 11, 2008 at 8:41 PM
Which is why you chose to respond!

jdkchem on April 11, 2008 at 8:47 PM

I’m sorry, I do not know what you mean?

If you are attempting to be nasty to me, that’s fine, that says more about you than it does me. And more importantly it doesn’t effect me either way.

AprilOrit on April 11, 2008 at 8:53 PM

It’s over. Hit the music.

THE CHOSEN ONE on April 11, 2008 at 8:55 PM

It’s over. Hit the music

No, still miles to go before we sleep.

Unfortunately.

SteveMG on April 11, 2008 at 8:56 PM

Here’s a guarantee that will make you all happy:

THE CHOSEN ONE on April 11, 2008 at 8:19 PM

From your lips to God’s ears!
I cannot stand olberman.

ArmyAunt on April 11, 2008 at 8:41 PM

GE who’s the parent company has been criticized for not making wholesale changes for years now. Most folks think that there will be major changes after the election win or lose, but if they lose they are all gone. Mathews, Olberman, and the lot. The stock price is plummeting and shareholders have been like, “what the f&%k?” If Mav wins, Olby will be the first to go.

THE CHOSEN ONE on April 11, 2008 at 8:58 PM

Unfortunately.
SteveMG on April 11, 2008 at 8:56 PM

Oh come on! This is fun! Admit it.

Oldnuke on April 11, 2008 at 9:02 PM

Chuck Schick on April 11, 2008 at 8:51 PM

We went snark hunting when we visited West Virginia. It was fun, but my shotgun jammed and I shot a snipe by accident and got a hefty fine from the Sheriff in Berkeley County.

AprilOrit on April 11, 2008 at 9:02 PM

Entelechy,
The link to Obama’s Billionaire Row Tour
It’s Zombie’s new blog.

Janna on April 11, 2008 at 9:05 PM

AprilOrit on April 11, 2008 at 9:02 PM

Well it appears that you’ve won this round April- but Ill be back.

And Hell’s coming with me.

Chuck Schick on April 11, 2008 at 9:06 PM

If Obama is an elitist and Marxist, what does that make Hillary (besides a power hungry aged hippie)?

Zorro on April 11, 2008 at 9:07 PM

SteveMG on April 11, 2008 at 8:56 PM

Go get some sleep Stevie, it’s over. It’s just a matter of how big the margin is. Will Obama make it respectable or challenge Mondale for the King of all asskickins.

THE CHOSEN ONE on April 11, 2008 at 9:08 PM

There is a special brand of ignorance and arrogance that makes me grind my teeth. They will be ground to nubs before this election cycle is over if the Obamassiah is nominated.

easy on April 11, 2008 at 9:08 PM

It’s over. Hit the music.

THE CHOSEN ONE on April 11, 2008 at 8:55 PM

Hardly.

terryannonline on April 11, 2008 at 9:08 PM

Obama looked at PA and decided it wasn’t enough to just burn the bridge, he just blew it to smithereens.

doubleplusundead on April 11, 2008 at 9:09 PM

Sorry, I just completely disagree: the vast majority of Americans live wonderful rich lives.

Every poll shows that the overwhelming majority of Americans think the country is off track but that their own lives are on track.

The day when Americans become a bitter vengeful people is the day that this country is over.

SteveMG on April 11, 2008 at 8:13 PM

I agree Steve with the first part, as for when or before we become bitter vengeful people how about, maybe we exercise our second amendment rights and take our country back by marching on D.C. and throwing these asshat clowns in the Patomac. A modern day Boston Tea party followed by TERM LIMITS. 8 years is enough for POTUS it’s enough for a POS…
congress critter.

dhunter on April 11, 2008 at 9:12 PM

Bush used the word misunderestimated as a sarcastic joke, aimed at the “people going ape.”

Riposte on April 11, 2008 at 9:16 PM

What is with this man? Does he have someone coaching him to always say the wrong thing at the wrong time to the wrong people? and this is the man who says he can talk to the Iranians? Just imagine the opportunities he’d have to put his foot in his mouth in that setting!!!!

jeanie on April 11, 2008 at 9:18 PM

terryannonline on April 11, 2008 at 9:08 PM

What you saw with the NYT’s smear is why this is over. The Drive by media will keep bashing THE MAV, but they forget America is very familiar with John McCain. With every slanderous add, Maverick will gain the nations sympathy. This will be like McGovern and Mondale all over again. Put the Champagne on ice. It’s over. Hit the Music.

THE CHOSEN ONE on April 11, 2008 at 9:19 PM

January 16, 2007 – Apr 11, 2008

Berry Obama’s campaign for the Presidency on the United States of America

RIP

TroubledMonkey on April 11, 2008 at 9:21 PM

Awwwriiiight! Here’s the fight that’s going to make Hilla-the-Hun a big winner in PA. Voters, except the ones in Philthadelphia, are gonna vote for her 3:1.

petefrt on April 11, 2008 at 9:22 PM

SteveMG on April 11, 2008 at 8:13 PM

congress critter.

Exactly, the fact that people believe that the corruption in DC is A-Ok and their lives are fine in spite of all of the chicanery is quite frankly – startling.

If the people in PA believe that it’s alright and wonderful that Murtha has been around since before the wheel and fire, then they deserve to lose their jobs to Mexico.

It’s ridiculous.

AprilOrit on April 11, 2008 at 9:23 PM

I have to ask: does this mean that we’re going to have to hear another “historic” speech by Obama?

When are Democrats going to learn that (1) the American citizenry doesn’t like to lose (in Iraq) and (2) the American citizenry doesn’t like to be insulted, especially by its own (prospective) employees.

What an idiot.

furytrader on April 11, 2008 at 9:23 PM

Next thing we know Obama’s going to hold a major speech on poverty, pretending to walk in the moccasins of the little guy, insulting all of us again.

This year is so much better than I’d envision it to be.

Entelechy on April 11, 2008 at 9:25 PM

I think its about time Obama outs his bitter, religious, anti-trade, xenophobic, religious, gun nut uncle who harbors an assload of antipathy.

Chuck Schick on April 11, 2008 at 9:27 PM

SteveMG on April 11, 2008 at 8:13 PM

congress critter.

Exactly, the fact that the citizens of PA are A-OK with Jack Murtha serving since before the wheel and fire?

Ridiculous.

If that’s not a fine shiny example of a bitter populace right there, I don’t know whatelse is.

AprilOrit on April 11, 2008 at 9:29 PM

Why did Drudge remove this item, not only from the top, but altogether?

Entelechy on April 11, 2008 at 9:35 PM

I don’t get it. First you don’t show the whole quote. Which Ed did. I thought ‘we’ at Hot Air are suppose to rise above that kind of stuff.

Furthermore, if you read what he said, he was explaining why small town folk cling to the idealogies they do. He suspects that becuase they don’t generally have jobs and the luxuries the upper class do, they turn to those idealogies he mentioned. City folk don’t cling to the same ideologies small town folks do because they have they have the luxuries needed to be distracted from misery.

If city folk or even middle class and upper class people are bitter or overly religious it’s probably for different reasons. We’re lucky that these small town people who don’t have jobs haven’t turned to what countless other people who don’t have the luxuries of the upper class have turned to, communism (go ahead tell me Obama is communism now).

Now if he was wrong to assume that small town folks don’t have jobs, then he would also be wrong to attribute their bitterness, gun tottingness, and religious zeal to such.

PresidenToor on April 11, 2008 at 9:35 PM

Billionaire row, where Obama said these words.

Entelechy on April 11, 2008 at 9:37 PM

PresidenToor on April 11, 2008 at 9:35 PM

You’re joking, right? What makes you think city dwellers, en masse, are any better off than small town folks?

VolMagic on April 11, 2008 at 9:39 PM

Again the ghost of Lee Atwater licks his lips at the commercial for the Altoona, Erie, and Allentown markets this one will make.

Honestly, this reads and sounds like someone fresh in to civilization sharing thoughts with like minds on the sociology of the culture he was recently exposed to.

thirtypundit on April 11, 2008 at 9:40 PM

Michelle Obama’s next speech will likely include “here we go again…Barry says all the right things about rural America and they go and raise the bar again.”

Spider79 on April 11, 2008 at 9:42 PM

I think Obama deserves a do-over.

(j/k)

FloatingRock on April 11, 2008 at 9:42 PM

He knows what some guy in Western PA thinks but had no fricking clue what his idiot Pastor was belching out about the US and religion and weird shit…

Does he understand how stupid he looks?

Barry, you’re a jackass.

Hillary was biding her time for Mr. Perfect to do something stupid.

LOL

benrand on April 11, 2008 at 9:44 PM

PresidenToor on April 11, 2008 at 9:35 PM

Agreed. That’s exactly how I felt.

AprilOrit on April 11, 2008 at 9:46 PM

Well, he was trying to explain why they do so.

If you read the quote it seems to me that you can conclude – not unfairly I might add – that he was suggesting that Pennsylvania voters are bitter and so devoid of intelligence and common sense that they respond to economic dislocation by clinging to simplistic and reactionary ideas rather than dealing, as they are, with their problems in constructive ways.

It’s Americans as victims. Victims who respond illogically to their plight.

That’s not just insulting, it’s wrong.

SteveMG on April 11, 2008 at 9:47 PM

jeanie on April 11, 2008 at 9:18 PM

The Iranians are already lickin’ their chops in anticipation…He’ll be a pushover.

franksalterego on April 11, 2008 at 9:48 PM

Well, they have voted for Murtha for years, they can’t be too bright.

Where’s the common sense there??

AprilOrit on April 11, 2008 at 9:51 PM

It’s Americans as victims. Victims who respond illogically to their plight.

That’s not just insulting, it’s wrong.

SteveMG on April 11, 2008 at 9:47 PM

It’s also projecting. Obama needs to understand that just because he, like most liberals, loves being a victim, some people do not.

Grayson on April 11, 2008 at 9:53 PM

Well, they have voted for Murtha for years, they can’t be too bright.

Well, in a different sort of way, that is what Obama is claiming.

Whether true or not, it’s not a good way to win friends, influence people and get elected.

SteveMG on April 11, 2008 at 9:53 PM

Maybe because I live in NY and am surrounded my Liberals I see it differently.

AprilOrit on April 11, 2008 at 8:50 PM

In other words you have been desensitized to elitisms.

FloatingRock on April 11, 2008 at 9:59 PM

OhBummer is even more isolated in his bubble than any of the inside-the-Beltway crowd at whom he lobs verbal bombs.

He is divisive and tone deaf. And racist in a profound way.

His Marin County address to supporters in one of the wealthiest, effete sectors of America underlines his own self regard and belief in his own superiority. This was a meeting of a mutual admiration society of elites who sneer at the rest of America as unsophisticated, uneducated, and uncultured. They think in stereotypes and cliches, not realizing their own shallowness. I wonder if these power brokers in San Francisco and elsewhere understand how much he disdains them, too. These self-congratulatory fools are merely a means to his own ends of creating an America in line with his vision.

What is sad, though, given the condescension of his remarks (and the nannyism promised by Nurse Ratched) is that too many voters here in PA will pull the Dem lever out of habit come November. (The primaries in April are closed.) Then again, the sting of OhBummer’s insult may be mortally wounding to his ambitions. Let us hope.

onlineanalyst on April 11, 2008 at 10:00 PM

Spin, spin, spin. Obama never answers one question. He gives a speech about race and slavery, but does not answer about Wright. Nothing about Rezko, the weatherman underground buddy, his pro-Palestinian connections, nor Farrakhan. This guy gets away with everything by the MSM. I will await more surprises from Obama. He is like a buffet of controversies.

jencab on April 11, 2008 at 10:01 PM

This shouldn’t surprise anyone. THIS IS HOW THE LEFT VIEWS AMERICA!

SouthernGent on April 11, 2008 at 10:01 PM

AprilOrit on April 11, 2008 at 9:46 PM

Uh yeah, that’s what everyone “felt” as well. The difference though is that stereotyping and bigotry is par for the course for liberals like you.

Riposte on April 11, 2008 at 10:03 PM

In other words you have been desensitized to elitisms.

FloatingRock on April 11, 2008 at 9:59 PM

That diagnosis seems spot on.

Spirit of 1776 on April 11, 2008 at 10:03 PM

PresidenToor on April 11, 2008 at 9:35 PM

You think small town folks in PA are miserable, and that’s why they like guns and religion? If you believe that, you are at least as clueless as the Messiah is. People don’t cling to their gun rights and religion because of some bitterness about economic woes here in PA.

We like our religion and faith communities, and we like our guns, our shooting and hunting. There’s no bitterness attached to those, they are fundamentally who we are, they’re part of our culture, we’re a very pro-life state, we’re one of the few states who make the first day of deer season a state holiday. As for jobs, this isn’t Appalachia, people have jobs, yeah, manufacturing is suffering, but it isn’t like the state is littered with Hoovervilles. Good grief.

doubleplusundead on April 11, 2008 at 10:07 PM

Well, they have voted for Murtha for years, they can’t be too bright.

Where’s the common sense there??

AprilOrit on April 11, 2008 at 9:51 PM

Murtha buys their votes with huge amounts of pork and gov’t contracts.

doubleplusundead on April 11, 2008 at 10:09 PM

Bingo, home run. Grand slam, actually.

No one can top that.

Well, I can’t.

End of story.

SteveMG on April 11, 2008 at 10:10 PM

And besides, Murtha wouldn’t hold his seat in a lot of other parts of PA.

doubleplusundead on April 11, 2008 at 10:10 PM

But then again we are there to help what my Mom calls the salt of the earth, middle to lower class Americans.

Sorry about the drug joke, I was giving you the benefit of the doubt.

peacenprosperity on April 11, 2008 at 10:12 PM

Well, they have voted for Murtha for years, they can’t be too bright.
Well, in a different sort of way, that is what Obama is claiming.

SteveMG on April 11, 2008 at 9:53 PM

But it’s the truth.

Obama told the truth IMHO. If they don’t want to believe it, too bad.

Let them vote for Murtha and Specter and get more of the same. People who cannot handle the truth, no matter what their politics are, deserve everything they get.

Those candy factory jobs that left today on a fast track to Mexico – kiss them goodbye because they are never coming back, I don’t care who’s President.

And whomever says they are coming back is a liar and not fit for command.

And let’s not forget Budd Dwyer. The people of PA were never really sure if he was guilty or that he was set up. After he blew his brains out on the air no one really bothered to find out.

In other words you have been desensitized to elitisms.

FloatingRock on April 11, 2008 at 9:59 PM
That diagnosis seems spot on.

Spirit of 1776 on April 11, 2008 at 10:03 PM

It’s true, I have been surrounded by them my whole life. You learn to navigate the waters the best way you can.

AprilOrit on April 11, 2008 at 10:17 PM

That’s why Rush was right. This primary race had to drag out because once it was decided the msm would close ranks around barry and bury all this stuff. Whether we believe it or not, no matter how much we know in the blogosphere, it doesn’t mean that it’s getting out there to the majority of Americans. People still watch the alphabet channels for their news. Hannity said tonite that there is talk that hillary has another bombshell about barry that she’s going to drop but she’s waiting until after the next debate so they can’t turn the tide on her about breaking it. I heard it on hannity after this came out so this wasn’t it.

peacenprosperity on April 11, 2008 at 10:18 PM

I can’t imagine that any amount of experience or “seasoning” would help Obama. He wouldn’t have been a good Presidential candidate or President after an extra twenty years’ experience; he’s just really not all that smart.

Kralizec on April 11, 2008 at 10:29 PM

Well we all knew it was going to be very tough for a Republican to beat a Democrat in 2008. Luckily, it looks like the Democrats are going to beat themselves.

Keep talking Barry. You too, Michelle.

AZCoyote on April 11, 2008 at 7:45 PM

That reminds me of what Carville said a few months ago at the International Builders Show:

“For both you Democrats out there, I got good news for you. We have to literally talk our way out of winning this election.

For the Republicans, being a lifelong member of the Democratic party, I can assure you we are perfectly capable of doing that.”

INC on April 11, 2008 at 10:33 PM

Sometimes serpent head is as funny as he is annoying.

peacenprosperity on April 11, 2008 at 10:35 PM

Sometimes serpent head is as funny as he is annoying.

True. I liked the trash can on the head scenario.

He seems to be one of the few Dems with a sense of humor.

INC on April 11, 2008 at 10:46 PM

Any of you who missed it, you must check out Zombie’s wry photojournalist report of Obama Visits Billionaires Row:
San Francisco, April 6, 2008

INC on April 11, 2008 at 10:49 PM

AprilOrit on April 11, 2008 at 10:17 PM

Understanding how they talk doesn’t excuse their elitist mentality or make them right. I was born in Seattle and raised in large part in her suburbs but also in a small agricultural city called Wenatchee on the other side of the state as well as a rural farming community about 20 miles away. I understand both perspectives better than most and can assure you that elitists are in no way superior to people who live in a more natural setting. In fact I’ve often found the opposite to be the case.

The only reliable way to judge a person is by their character, not where they live, how they dress, talk or how much money they make. To suggest otherwise indicates to me that perhaps you haven’t avoided the trappings of the elitism you’ve been exposed to quite as well as you might have thought.

FloatingRock on April 11, 2008 at 10:50 PM

AprilOrit on April 11, 2008 at 8:50 PM

What qualifies YOU to “decifer” what another person says?

I will let you in on a little secret that most adults in the word know…people say what they mean.

EJDolbow on April 11, 2008 at 10:53 PM

Oh here we go again. That is clearly not what he said, although most of what he meant to say is true.

The truth hurts, Middle America is bitter as hell, and they have every right to be.

A bunch of PA candy factory jobs got shipped to Mexico today – should we celebrate??

When people lose their way they turn to God, as they should. They also tend to place blame on those who deserve it the least.

Just as The Left blames Bush for everything, The Right blames allot on illegal immigration.

AprilOrit on April 11, 2008 at 7:46 PM

AprilOrit, people in middle America don’t just go to Church in bad times they also go to Church in good times, also people in middle America respect the constitution and the 2nd Amendment and the Rule of law no matter what economic situation they are in at the time.

What Obama said, was moronic.

Chakra Hammer on April 11, 2008 at 10:54 PM

AprilOrit on April 11, 2008 at 8:50 PM

Really? So no matter what someone actually says, you assign a meaning beyond their choice of words?

Is that a liberal trait? If so, no wonder the courts are so screwed up in the northeast and in the 9th district out west.

Criminal: I kidnapped and molested that little girl.
Judge: He took her for a ride to get ice cream and to find out how she feels.

Geez.

BacaDog on April 11, 2008 at 10:54 PM

Sometimes serpent head is as funny as he is annoying.
True. I liked the trash can on the head scenario.

He seems to be one of the few Dems with a sense of humor.

INC on April 11, 2008 at 10:46 PM

Much better – egg all over the Troll.

AprilOrit on April 11, 2008 at 10:58 PM

Seems a little strange that Barry, the same guy who told us a few weeks ago that he prays to Jesus every night, speaks with such disdain of small-town folks who allegedly cling to religion out of bitterness at their joblessness.

AZCoyote on April 11, 2008 at 10:58 PM

I’m proud to say it, AP; you could be the dagger in Obama’s heart. Very well perceived and written – the post and the updates.

I think you’re at your best when writing about Obama. You could get several days’ use out of this one speech. You might actually be able to take him down.

jaime on April 11, 2008 at 11:04 PM

Obama has now shown himself to be as racist elitist as his grandmother!

Oh, the shame!

linlithgow on April 11, 2008 at 11:05 PM

Interesting how most of the rich neighbors in that story were heirs. Seems like the most obnoxious, rabid liberals I have met in person were trust funders. Something about that not earning it yourself. Whether it’s guilt or sense of entitlement seems a definite pattern.

peacenprosperity on April 11, 2008 at 11:05 PM

I know that a vote for Jaun McCain may be tough (he was not my first or second choice) but America’s back is against the wall and he is the only choice.

second digit on April 11, 2008 at 8:24 PM

MCCAIN ’08: THE LEAST BAD CHOICE

misterpeasea on April 11, 2008 at 11:06 PM

misterpeasea on April 11, 2008 at 11:06 PM

MCCAIN IN ’08-He may not be smart but he loves America.

peacenprosperity on April 11, 2008 at 11:07 PM

MCCAIN ‘08: THE LEAST BAD CHOICE

misterpeasea on April 11, 2008 at 11:06 PM

I love it! Best bumper sicker evah.

BacaDog on April 11, 2008 at 11:09 PM

geez. sticker not sicker. Or, maybe not!

BacaDog on April 11, 2008 at 11:10 PM

AprilOrit

Bitterness:

I agree, to some extent, that Americans are bitter. They’re bitter about their federal government, which, at times, seems to act completely adversarily to Americans’ interests. They’re bitter that they elect people who say things trying to get elected that they don’t follow up on once they’re elected. They’re bitter that their government seems intent on killing the golden goose, on ruining the best thing going, on emulating less successful countries.

But the vast majority of Americans are not bitter about life, or their own circumstances. They mostly just want government to stay out of their lives and let them get on with it.

If they’d just follow the Constitution. It ain’t rocket science.

misterpeasea on April 11, 2008 at 11:13 PM

Criminal: I kidnapped and molested that little girl.
Judge: He took her for a ride to get ice cream and to find out how she feels.

Geez.

BacaDog on April 11, 2008 at 10:54 PM

Aahhh, no not quite. Not is no where near a clsoe analogy of what he said and what people thought.

What Obama said, was moronic.

Chakra Hammer on April 11, 2008 at 10:54 PM

And so do people in NYC and in Milwaukee, and in Dtroit, and in Chicago and in Los Angeles and in Philadelphia and other large cities across the country.

You’re just another partisan soul looking for the worst in those who disagree with you politically, plain and simple. Think as you choose.

AprilOrit on April 11, 2008 at 11:14 PM

Obama thinks that for black people to win, white people have to lose. Between his hate-drenched pastor, his hate-drenched wife, his various other hating associates, AND the whoppers that he keeps saying himself, he’s showing what an arrogant, nasty bigot he really is.

Django on April 11, 2008 at 11:17 PM

AprilOrit on April 11, 2008 at 11:14 PM

Not quite? Only slightly off, or totally?

Oh, I get it. You’re assigning an alternate meaning to the words I clearly spoke. Can I play?

AprilOrit: Bacadog, you’re spot on. What people say doesn’t matter. It’s what I hear that gives it meaning.

BacaDog on April 11, 2008 at 11:22 PM

Barry was speaking down to I mean about small town rural America…Where coincidence, typical white people live and work, raise their families…Are we seeing a trend here?

Nozzle on April 11, 2008 at 11:22 PM

Interjecting a little dark humour here… =)

You go into these small towns in the West Bank and, like a lot of small towns in the Gaza Strip, the jobs – except for suicide bombers – have been gone now for 25 years and nothing’s replaced them…And they fell through the Arafat years, and the Abbas years, and each successive administration has said that somehow these communities are gonna get more money from America, but they’re not.

And it’s not surprising then they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren’t like them or anti-Semitism or anti-Americanism as a way to explain their frustrations.

linlithgow on April 11, 2008 at 11:23 PM

What Obama said, was moronic.

Chakra Hammer on April 11, 2008 at 10:54 PM

The problem is you guys are the elitist, you choose to believe that he said what you think he said so you can prop yourself up as better than the rest of the country.

You paint this canvas highlighting us big city folk as never going to church, having no values and disregarding the Constitution. Like we have no idea how to be good Americas and law abiding citizens.

Please, get off your high horse for heaven sake, we’re equal.

AprilOrit on April 11, 2008 at 11:24 PM

The Right blames allot on illegal immigration.

AprilOrit on April 11, 2008 at 7:46 PM

I don’t now whether Jamiel Shaw’s family is on the Right, but they have the death of their son to squarely blame on illegal immigration.

baldilocks on April 11, 2008 at 11:25 PM

never going to church

AprilOrit on April 11, 2008 at 11:24 PM

You go to church? Because I thought you claimed something else at another time.

jaime on April 11, 2008 at 11:29 PM

Brilliant…absolutely brilliant!

Nozzle on April 11, 2008 at 11:31 PM

never going to church

AprilOrit on April 11, 2008 at 11:24 PM
You go to church? Because I thought you claimed something else at another time.

jaime on April 11, 2008 at 11:29 PM

You mean Temple, I am not a Christian. I have been attending Temple more lately, with my parents and our family, and also because I am planning my wedding.

AprilOrit on April 11, 2008 at 11:32 PM

Please, get off your high horse for heaven sake, we’re equal.

AprilOrit on April 11, 2008 at 11:24 PM

What did I say about you situation in NY? nothing…

I just explained flyover country, which is probably just like MOST of the Country, thats why it’s called the Heartland.

Chakra Hammer on April 11, 2008 at 11:33 PM

…you choose to believe that he said what you think he said so you can prop yourself up as better than the rest of the country.

Who’s interpreting the quote here, AprilOrit? You’re trying to do an Alan Colmes spin-job here pretending there is a nuance to Obama’s quote rather than looking at the words he said.

The problem here isn’t that there is some subtlety to Obama’s statement. The problem is that he let his mouth get ahead of his brain, someone recorded it, and now we all know.

BacaDog on April 11, 2008 at 11:34 PM