Good news: Lott finally learns how to use a Metro card

posted at 3:50 pm on April 11, 2008 by Allahpundit

The D.C. Metro opened in 1976. He was a member of Congress since 1973.

Could a man who once advocated some sort of forcefield for the border really be so addled? The terrible truth:

Life in the private sector isn’t as cushy as Lott thought it would be. No more free lunches, no more taxpayer-funded car and driver, no more overprotective press secretary guarding him from the pesky media…

…Lott really had no idea how to even go about taking public transportation. He didn’t know how to use the Metro fare card machines, or how much money to put on his trip ticket, or how to add money to one of the fare cards his wife gave him. Truly: clueless.

So Patricia Lott did what any good spouse would do. “I took my wife with me and she helped me out,” Lott said.

Eventually they figured it out together. As much as I hate the term “out of touch,” if there’s anyone who personifies the concept on our side — from his comments at Strom Thurmond’s birthday party to his dark hints about dealing with the “problem” known as conservative talk radio — it’s him. A tribute, then: Here’s my favorite clip from the amnesty debacle last summer, in which he takes to the floor of the Senate in a dramatic bid to salvage the floundering bill by arguing that they should pass it … just to prove that they’re still capable of passing stuff. Have a banana, Trent.

Comments

I’m from Mississippi and I say good riddance.

NoFanofLibs on April 11, 2008 at 3:53 PM

I know of one particular stomach that has often benefited from free lunches in the private sector.

corona on April 11, 2008 at 3:55 PM

I wonder what he would do if he found $140,000 in cash on the street. Give it to Dickie Scruggs to invest?

a capella on April 11, 2008 at 3:56 PM

I don’t fault him for it. When is the last time you’ve seen any Senator on the Metro? If any of them actually rode the metro there would be a law banning that annoying pinball-tilt/door closing chime.

Taser on April 11, 2008 at 3:57 PM

“Are we men or mice?”

That comparison would be unfair to either.

Dr. Manhattan on April 11, 2008 at 3:58 PM

I thought he quit government to make more money? Couldn’t he just pay for a taxi? Or does he know about taxis?

thuja on April 11, 2008 at 3:59 PM

He should just jump over the turnstile like me.

/no big whoop

Akzed on April 11, 2008 at 4:03 PM

He’s a tool. Always has been.

AZCoyote on April 11, 2008 at 4:07 PM

These guys are killing us.

Hummer53 on April 11, 2008 at 4:10 PM

Lott is a big reason that I hate calling myself a Republican. He’s a total embarassment.

Cicero43 on April 11, 2008 at 4:10 PM

Would any of you ride the Metro in DC if you had to resign because you “posthumously” endorsed the candidacy of a segregationist?

LevStrauss on April 11, 2008 at 4:12 PM

The political class in this nation is a corrupt parasitic class. They help their friends and screw the rest of us. Wny else do so many of them become wealthy only after serving as tax-supported “public servants”?

The Senate should be target One for reform (or even elimination). It is a pigpen of incompetent leeches and preening crooks, protecting each other and guaranteeing themselves a lifetime job.

Lott is fairly typical. He didn’t start out that way.. I was working down in Biloxi in 1972 as an intern for an oil company and remember how incredibly nerdy he looked on a billboard for the House seat. He was a fairly typical Nixon “Southern Strategy” Democrat-turned-Republican back then, shmoozing “Silent Majority” refinery and shipyard workers at the gate, riding Nixon’s coattails all the way. Not exactly a Senatorial Plutocrat.

Sometimes, I feel that the wisest amendment that our Founding Fathers gave us was the Second Amendment.

TexasJew on April 11, 2008 at 4:12 PM

Ever wonder why these so called “Men (or women) of the people” after they leave office, never return to the people that elected them in the first place? Foley never went back to Spokane, Lott to MS, Clintons to AR…

The longer they stay, the more out of touch with reality…

rbb on April 11, 2008 at 4:15 PM

Just remember Trent, no more than 10 items in the express line. And, you don’t have to wait till everything is scanned before you begin to fill out the check.

Oh. When you order a burger at McDonalds, just scrape the pickles off rather than do a special order. You’ll wait forever.

Just a few tips from a regular white guy.

BacaDog on April 11, 2008 at 4:15 PM

Lots of stuff to blast Lott about, but I kind of don’t think this is one of them. I still don’t know how to use a “Charlie Pass” on the Boston MBTA. But then again, I only go into Boston once in a great while and ride the T even less.

crazy_legs on April 11, 2008 at 4:20 PM

Taser, you’re right. And if Congressmen rode the metro, they would mandate that signs be put on the escalators saying “stand in the center at your own risk.”

GDLL on April 11, 2008 at 4:21 PM

*Rolls Eyes*

Fine. More hate on Lott. Why not.

wise_man on April 11, 2008 at 4:24 PM

Too bad he remembered how to use his Senate voting card in the later years.

Valiant on April 11, 2008 at 4:28 PM

If his lot wouldn’t be so snooty/snotty, and out of touch, they’d still be in the majority.

Entelechy on April 11, 2008 at 4:38 PM

R.I.N.O.

whitetop on April 11, 2008 at 5:16 PM

*Rolls Eyes*

Fine. More hate on Lott. Why not.

wise_man on April 11, 2008 at 4:24 PM

Because he deserves it???

brtex on April 11, 2008 at 5:38 PM

Y’all don’t know Lott – granted he was clueless about the MetroCard, but he is a good guy and worked hard. Sure, he made a number of bad decisions – I was there when he did – but he stayed in better touch with his constituency than most members on the Hill.

Coastian on April 11, 2008 at 5:42 PM

Hard to imagine anyone that can actualy look like a caricature of themselves, but he manages in the pic.

Jim708 on April 11, 2008 at 5:58 PM

This makes me have a little more (a little more) respect for Mayor Bloomberg…with all his $$$, and even as Mayor, the man still rides the subway.

JetBoy on April 11, 2008 at 6:38 PM

Lott was a first class moron. His embarrassments and his corruption are the reason why the Republicans are the minority party today. He is wholly corrupt, and intimately tied to various back-door political deals that result in backchannels to his campaign finances.

Rule #1 of Republicans – they should not be stupid. Rule #2 is that they should not be corrupt. Lott was both.

Sydney Carton on April 11, 2008 at 8:34 PM

Metro cards can be very confusing!!!!!

jeanie on April 11, 2008 at 9:33 PM

Trent Lott = PURE TRASH with hair spray.

Hilts on April 11, 2008 at 10:23 PM

He is neither stupid nor corrupt – I challenge you to prove either charge.

He did some stupid things – like not press impeachment to its logical conclusion – but he is not a stupid man. He is not corrupt, despite ample opportunities – as I know having worked for him for a decade. Yes, I am biased but I not blind and I am not without common sense.

Coastian on April 11, 2008 at 10:57 PM

I’m a country boy from a small town (I feel Obama’s hatred) and I figured out the METRO. The colors are so pretty and helpful, but the drivers, most of the time, sound like Charlie Brown’s teacher. It could be the yankee accents, though.

SouthernGent on April 11, 2008 at 11:16 PM

I can seen not riding it from his house to work everyday. In fact, if he lived in Georgetown, there really isn’t Metro access (at least rail access) in that part of the city. But I still don’t see how he couldn’t have ridden it anywhere in 32 years.

its vintage duh on April 12, 2008 at 3:14 AM

How difficult can it be?
The instructions are written on the machines and the fare amounts are listed on the manager’s booths.

He’s obviously a little slow.

harrison on April 12, 2008 at 1:14 PM

Somehow elitist, out-of-touch jackass still doesn’t describe him.

How many more are in Washington passing legislation to direct every aspect of our lives who are as clueless as this nitwit?

91Veteran on April 12, 2008 at 1:32 PM

He is neither stupid nor corrupt – I challenge you to prove either charge.

Coastian on April 11, 2008 at 10:57 PM

Not stupid? Yet talk radio, and by extension those who listen to it, are a “problem”?

Not stupid? Making a comment about not paying for lunch for 30 years in a lefty media green room will not sit very well for those who have eaten bologna sandwiches for 30 years.

Not corrupt? How about that little insurance deal after Katrina?

91Veteran on April 12, 2008 at 1:40 PM

Lott is a stupid, corrupt, bigoted, and despicable doofus. He and his girlfriend Miss Lindsey Graham remind me why I dislike John McCain so much.

Hilts on April 12, 2008 at 3:14 PM

Trent Lott the egomaniac is best served… forgotten.

The YouTube explains why. This clown also wrote a book – and I refused to buy it after the truly racist remarks he made about Strom Thurmond.

Like I wrote, let’s forget him.

HotAirJosef on April 12, 2008 at 6:46 PM

There is a Metro in Mississippi?? He did ‘retire’ in order to spend tine in Mississippi didn’t he?

MuddlinThru on April 12, 2008 at 9:49 PM

Trent, what word in “SHUT YOUR PIE-HOLE AND GO AWAY FOREVER” are you having trouble with? Most of them are not multi-syllabic.

drunyan8315 on April 13, 2008 at 2:00 AM