Disgrace: Olympic torch bearer ejected — for carrying Tibetan flag; Update: Athletes who display Tibetan flag to be banned from games?

posted at 5:30 pm on April 10, 2008 by Allahpundit

I was going to give you the clip of McCain saying this morning that he’d boycott the opening ceremony as president but we’ve already had that debate. If you’re curious, watch it here. Your time is better spent on this travesty yesterday in San Francisco, in which Gavin Newsom’s best laid plans to avoid embarrassing the Chinese — including an eleventh-hour re-routing of the torch relay to keep it away from protesters — were thwarted by torch-bearer Majora Carter. She had a small Tibetan flag stashed up her sleeve; when they passed her the torch, she pulled it out and the Chinese “security” team traveling with them pounced. Watch as one of the American cops shows her how they do it in Beijing, giving her a gratuitous shove into the crowd to keep her away from the communist propaganda pageant she was momentarily a part of. She’s wrong on the law, to be sure; her free speech rights don’t entitle her to violate the contract she signed before participating. But watching U.S. cops enforce Chinese policy is so disgusting, Newsom should have simply canceled the event lest he be forced to do it. Exit quotation: “Because we’re America, we can do that.”

Update: One of the commenters wonders why criminal law enforcement is concerned here with civil contract law. My guess: Because she breached the contract, she was no longer allowed to participate in the relay. Once she lost that status, she became just another spectator who was beyond the barrier set up by the sidewalk and had to be escorted back. It’s the enforcement of the permit for the relay where the criminal part comes in, not the enforcement of the contract, although in practical effect they’re the same.

Update: Don’t blame the ChiComs for this. It ain’t their rule.

Athletes displaying Tibetan flags at Olympic venues – including in their own rooms – could be expelled from the Beijing Games under anti-propaganda rules.

Jacques Rogge, president of the International Olympic Committee (IOC), said that competitors were free to express their political views but faced sanctions if they indulged in propaganda…

The question of what will constitute propaganda during the Games in August and what will be considered opinion under IOC rules is one vexing many in the Olympic movement. The Olympic Charter bans any kind of “demonstration or political, religious or racial propaganda” in any Olympic venue or area…

At the Sydney Games in 2000 Olympic chiefs allowed Cathy Freeman to use the Aboriginal flag to highlight the plight of the Stolen Generation after she won a gold medal in the 400 metres.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Not so much…

From the band Midnight Oil’s Wikipedia entry… so you know it may or may not be complete and utter BS.

Sydney 2000 Olympics Performance
The band again brought the politics of Aboriginal reconciliation to the fore during their performance at the closing ceremony of the Sydney 2000 Summer Olympics. Then Prime Minister John Howard had triggered controversy that year with his refusal to embrace symbolic reconciliation and apologise to Aboriginal Australians and members of the stolen generations. The group performed their reconciliation-themed single “Beds Are Burning” at the ceremony with the word SORRY conspicuously printed on their clothes as a form of apology to the Aboriginal people for their suffering under white settlement, and to highlight the issue to Howard, who was in the audience at the Olympic stadium.

AndrewsDad on April 10, 2008 at 7:08 PM

You think she deserved to be physically assaulted, by both her own country’s police and foreign nationals, because she yanked out a tibetan flag/violated her contract?

You, sirrah, are a credit to the Democrat party.

Of course i have to be a democrat. you people are so intolerant sometimes, it’s not funny. She deserved everything she got, and nobody physically assaulted her. She was pushed out of the way…cus she didn’t want to move. I actually think they were too nice to her, she deserved more.

I have no respect for people who misuse their stations for making stupid protests. if she wanted to protest, she should have stood by the side of the road like all the other protesters.

Chudi on April 10, 2008 at 7:13 PM

It is really strange to see so many people protesting the Chinese fascist in a city that has much in common with the Chinese fascist. The destruction of the culture of Tibet would be something that I thought the goons of SF would celebrate not condemn.

JonRoss on April 10, 2008 at 7:20 PM

Don’t blame the ChiComs for this. It ain’t their rule.

And I’m sure they had no influence on the decision to deem a flag “propaganda”. That sounds just like the ChiComs.

malan89 on April 10, 2008 at 7:22 PM

Yeah, my Gay uncle chastised me for using the term “prince” because some gay men use that term too…so I should now be wary of calling my dog because I might offend the dudes in comfortable shoes next door?

I never said you were a bigot just pointing out that just because some people decide to hijack a certain word or term and use it as their own doesn’t give it “N-word” status.

It is simply a popular term and you are certainly wrong about it’s meaning.

Ciannaky on April 10, 2008 at 7:22 PM

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and have done so for 51 years.

I heard the “white on rice” in reference to sex with Asian women in a SF music club by a rapper on the sound system a long time ago, and I also heard it in a comedy club by a white comedian, many years ago. I only just found out about the gays and the same innuendo when I asked someone here if they ever heard of the term “white on rice” in regards to sex.

His (above someone)son is twentysomething, he also knew that it refered to white men/Asian women sex, although it appears it can be any gender of white person to Asian person sex.

I happen to work for a Japanese company, although I am white (female). They (my co-workers – Japanese, Chinese and Philipino)have heard it before, and say it can be loosely translated to “f–k the Asians”…..none of them here that saw her say that think she meant that, but they are very angry she pulled out the flag after allegedly proclaiming she would not disrupt the event when she was selected. So I guess I am being overly sensitive to what she said because I am pissed she pulled her stunt.

Enlightened on April 10, 2008 at 7:23 PM

Enlightened on April 10, 2008 at 7:06 PM

No offense – but you arguing over the long-tired phrase “white on rice” may be the single lamest thing I’ve ever seen on these world wide webbytubes.

White. Is stuck. On rice. Because rice. Is white. The expression is so old your grandpa thought it was kind of over-used. It’s about rice.

The “like a bear on honey” comments up there should have you feeling a little chagrined. Why not admit how silly you’re being and move on?

Professor Blather on April 10, 2008 at 7:25 PM

stupid protests

Wow. Ignorance in action. Thought reform isn’t funny.

malan89 on April 10, 2008 at 7:26 PM

London, Paris, San Francisco I really don’t understand why they always pick these cities these festering sores of urban pestilence to carry the Olympic torch. I would much rather see the Olympic torch carried at Mescalero, New Mexico then they can run it up to the Inn of the Mountain Gods.

Do the Olympics today still promote international understanding through sporting competition? Or is the Olympics political activism in Nikes.

BDU-33 on April 10, 2008 at 7:30 PM

Support for Religious Liberty matters.

+1 Free Expression

gabriel sutherland on April 10, 2008 at 7:33 PM

Wow, not only have I never heard that “white on rice” has anything to do with white people having sex with asians, I didn’t know that white people having sex with asians was somehow racist?

As soon as I’m done writing this, I have to go to the next cubicle over and tell the white guy who works there that he’s being a racist every time he has sex with his chinese wife.

I guess if it was the other way around and it was an asian having sex with a white person it would be totally different.

Huh???

Fatal on April 10, 2008 at 7:34 PM

Simply explaining (apparently without success)why I thought she used the phrase as an epithet.

Enlightened on April 10, 2008 at 7:35 PM

Just another idiot….

Wade on April 10, 2008 at 7:35 PM

No idiot. I thought she meant “white on rice” as racist towards the WHITE AND ASIAN COPS that shoved her. It can be a racist epithet depending on the context.

Oh nevermind. I’m not very enlightening today.

Enlightened on April 10, 2008 at 7:39 PM

Enlightened on April 10, 2008 at 7:23 PM

Rappers, comedy clubs, and internet sex sites, I can believe they would twist a perfectly innocent expression for their own motives. But those are not in the mainstream, and to project any of those motives on this young woman is wrong, IMO. You seem well-meaning enough, I just think you’re barking up the wrong tree.

RushBaby on April 10, 2008 at 7:41 PM

Oh nevermind. I’m not very enlightening today.

Enlightened on April 10, 2008 at 7:39 PM

Please ignore my 7:41 to you. Thanks for being gracious.

RushBaby on April 10, 2008 at 7:42 PM

Enlightened on April 10, 2008 at 7:39 PM

She’s never heard of your assertion about “White on Rice”..

And it was not mentioned in the last “hate speech” conference she went to…

So, unless its just a San Francisco thang…

Romeo13 on April 10, 2008 at 7:43 PM

It can be a racist epithet depending on the context.

But she’s black, she can’t be a racist!!!

Oh nevermind. I’m not very enlightening today.

Thats the first thing you said that made any sense, congrats.

Ciannaky on April 10, 2008 at 7:44 PM

“white on rice” is just as racist as “black as the ace of spades”

Wade on April 10, 2008 at 7:48 PM

“Just talked to my daughter, who is a Lesbian, and very active in the community here in Denver…

She’s never heard of your assertion about “White on Rice”..”

For the gay thing – probably a SF thing – tell her to look up “Rice Queens”. Not sure if it considered “hate speech” in the gay community, but if I said it – definitely hate speech (me not being gay, nor male, nor Asian)

Enlightened on April 10, 2008 at 7:49 PM

Just sayin.

Enlightened on April 10, 2008 at 7:50 PM

From – and I’m not making it up – clichesite.com.

A site that specializes in collecting (I’m quoting here): “clichés, euphemisms, sayings and figures of speech complete with definitions and explanations. Finding what you’re looking for is As Easy as Pie!”

Cliché: Like white on rice
Explanation:
1. To be all around something.
2. To be all over someone.

Country: United States

Oh – and I should probably explain that when they say “as easy as pie” up there, they aren’t referring to vulgar terminology for female genitalia; in fact, they aren’t even really talking about pie. It’s a term that means: “really easy.”

Hope that helps. Understanding this stuff should be a piece of cake.

Professor Blather on April 10, 2008 at 7:54 PM

I always thought that this was what a rice queen was:

darclon on April 10, 2008 at 7:57 PM

Enlightened, are you really going to keep defending the silliest most indefensible argument in Internet history?

If so – I have to go grab some popcorn. This is entertaining. It seems you’ve got an ax to grind, but I say we bury the hatchet, let bygones be bygones, quit making waves, and get on with life – which is like a bowl of cherries.*

* All of these are also cliches. None actually involve axes, hatches, waves, or cherries. Hat tip: Clichesite.com. That place is really the cat’s meow. English lit major would be on it like white on rice.

Professor Blather on April 10, 2008 at 7:58 PM

Yes, “rice” is sometimes used colloquially as a reference to Asians. Japanese motorbikes are called “rice rockets” by Harley Davidson fans and owners of highly tuned Japanese cars are called “ricers” by US muscle cars enthusiasts.

That being said, “like white on rice” predates any usage of “rice” as a euphemism or epithet for Asians.

Just callin’ a spade a spade.

rokemronnie on April 10, 2008 at 8:06 PM

rokemronnie on April 10, 2008 at 8:06 PM

Actually we Harley owners use a far more offensive term for Japanese bikes, but since I care not to hurt the bosses feelings or find myself banned I will not utter it here.

Ciannaky on April 10, 2008 at 8:09 PM

The Chinese better be ready. There’s going to be a few Tibetan flags in the Olympic Village. Athletes and reporters will also be talking a lot about the treatment of Chinese dissenters. If tv whitewashes it it will certainly be all over the internet.

seanhackbarth on April 10, 2008 at 8:16 PM

Poor Majora Carter, environmental activist. She attempts to condemn China’s human rights abuses in Tibet, and all we do is go off on rice-related tangents.

LOL what a thread. She had corn-rows. Can we go there?

RushBaby on April 10, 2008 at 8:18 PM

She had corn-rows. Can we go there?

RushBaby on April 10, 2008 at 8:18 PM

Do as you will, just don’t call me a garlic nose. LOL

Ciannaky on April 10, 2008 at 8:21 PM

The most revealing part about this story is that it isn’t being reported.

Dr B on April 10, 2008 at 8:22 PM

What would they have disapproved of? Tibet is not our nation! We, as a Nation, do not need to be involved with it at all. They would understand that the Tibetians have been fighting for years and stood back.

upinak on April 10, 2008 at 6:45 PM

It is not about Tibetians fighting Tibetians, it is about the Chinese coms stomping Tibetians and I think, as I said, that the founding fathers would approve of the gal. I didn’t say they would send American military forces to Tibet.

Besides, isn’t “We, as a Nation, do not need to be involved with it at all. They would understand that the Tibetians Iraqis have been fighting for years and stood back.” my line?

MB4 on April 10, 2008 at 9:12 PM

Oh for FU*K’S sake. White on rice means something is very very very physically close to another. Since rice is white, teh whiteness of rice can’t possibly get any closer to the rice, since it IS the rice. There’s nothing racist about it. There are plenty of racist slurs against Asian people using “rice” but this ain’t one of them.

Dave Rywall on April 10, 2008 at 9:22 PM

As for the IOC jackasses, I hope all the athletes put Tibetan flags in their windows.

Dave Rywall on April 10, 2008 at 9:23 PM

And I hope the athletes are smart enough to realize that once they’ve finished competing (and are just hanging around partying in the Olympic Village) that they can then hang their Tibetan flags in their windows or wear Tibetan T shirts or carry Tibetan flags and there’s nothing the Chinese can do about it. Especially if they’re wearing Tibetan items near journalists with cameras and satellite cellphones.

Dave Rywall on April 10, 2008 at 9:35 PM

So would the American flag bearer durring the 1936 have been banned for not dipping the American flag as he passed by Hitler?

29Victor on April 10, 2008 at 9:43 PM

LOL. I don’t remember you getting so righteous over the flag-cutting veterans from previous posts.

HYTEAndy on April 10, 2008 at 9:50 PM

Enlightened on April 10, 2008 at 5:57 PM

Did it hurt your brain to think that? No, really.

Dude, those aren’t straws.

The Race Card on April 10, 2008 at 10:13 PM

San Fransisco law: For cheap Chinese goods we are willing to kick our fellow Americans in the teeth.
If she had an “I HATE BUSH” flag – welllll…that’s another story.

RMR on April 10, 2008 at 10:25 PM

So is the discussion of the day once again the subject of whether it’s permissible to criticize and/or insult a regime that is responsible for more murders than the Nazis?

Amazing the level to which some peasants are willing to demean themselves for discounted coffee makers at Wal*Mart.

Misha I on April 10, 2008 at 10:54 PM

Misha I on April 10, 2008 at 10:54 PM

You mean the Mr Coffee coffee maker at Wal-Mart is somehow different then the one at Target, Sears, etc?

Amazing the level of ignorance of the bourgeoisie. If you are going to arrogantly assume that the peasants or ignorant then you should know what you are talking about. Lest you look like yet another resource consuming urbanite pissant.

jdkchem on April 11, 2008 at 12:06 AM

…could be expelled from the Beijing Games under anti-propaganda rules.

Wouldn’t this rule expel the propganda-laden Chinese. Ironic.

On a different note. CNN had been looping a birds-eye view of this whole ‘torch bearer being escorted away from the parade route’ event. The video kept looping on the screens in the background as the Wolfmann kept yapping away. Not once did he or anyone at CNN mention the maligned behaviour that was going on in the background. If I could notice it through my 20″ non-HD screen, maybe CNN should be hiring me so as to report something of actual interest.

PresidenToor on April 11, 2008 at 1:40 AM

Sorry, guys, but the mean ol’ black Republican has no sympathy for her, whatsoever. In fact, I agree with Allahpundit, from a law enforcement standpoint (where I have experience). Once she violated the terms of her agreement, she became nothing but just another spectator, and refused to move to the other side of the security barrier, with the rest of the spectators. In fact, had they arrested her for trespassing, I’d’ve supported that, too. Her feelgood politicking had no place in that ceremony. If she wanted to do that, as was her self-declared right, she should’ve restricted herself to the rest of the rabble on either side of the street, waving flags around; not disrupted a ceremony that involved the passing of trust. As for Tibet, I couldn’t care less about them, and this article states one of the reasons: http://mostlywater.org/whats_the_deal_with_the_dalai_lama

Virus-X on April 11, 2008 at 2:26 AM

Virus-X

Wow.

Communist boilerplate from an obscure, Maoist blog.

Color me impressed.

Gerard on April 11, 2008 at 3:44 AM

Can you imagine if these were the Nazi Germany Secret Police escorting a torch to resemble the spirit of freedom and association throughout the world?

Lets say the Nazis are still in power and just killed 1,000 Catholic Priests in Austria for protesting 70 years of Nazi rule.

And the mayor of san Francisco would allow its citizens to have their most sacred rights violated to avoid embarassing Nazi’s

Over the Top?

Well, go to China, read up on Nazi Germany circa 1938 contrast and compare

EricPWJohnson on April 11, 2008 at 4:01 AM

Freedom? Priceless

Gerard on April 11, 2008 at 6:24 AM

Propaganda. Since when did freedom for all become propaganda. Perhaps instead of the Tibetan flag, we should give our athletes special forces pins. De Oppresso Libre. Liberate the Oppressed. I wonder if that would be considered propaganda.

Snake307 on April 11, 2008 at 6:34 AM

Nah, it is still a civil matter and not something law enforcement should get involved with. Had a Chi-Com approached to take the torch from her and resisted with violence, then law enforcement steps in. Had she resisted non-violently and the Chi-Com gotten violent, then law enforcement steps in. Otherwise, its a civil matter.

I think this guy was probably on orders from his commie loving mayor. Geeze, these SFPD and BPD guys are really giving the rest of us a bad name.

srhoades on April 11, 2008 at 9:14 AM

jdkchem on April 11, 2008 at 12:06 AM

Heh. Nice.

bridgetown on April 11, 2008 at 9:26 AM

Actually I agree with this ruling and hope they do enforce it. It is sad how the meaning and intent of the Olympics are lost now. Where were everyone for the last 10 years speaking out on the abuse and issues in China? Once the Olympics are over these same protesters wearing their Made in China close and Made in China products to make their signs will drop the issue.

JeffinSac on April 11, 2008 at 11:02 AM

The Boston Tea Party was illegal too. Private property was destroyed, although under a government that did not give full and fair property rights to all

Logically it was a trivial childish act of law breaking that I cannot help but admire

China has been committing horrendous crimes against persons for a long time. Some who protest about Tibet did not have the same anger about the abuse of rights in mainland China. I suspect a portion of the Tibet protestors would not protest against Castro

In the case of China, the rights abuses are terrible. There is no political freedom. There is forced abortion. There are re-education camps. This information has been gathered politely and presented in more legal forums than by torch busting

But China acting in Tibet is more than a local problem about religion. The Chinese tentacles would encircle the earth. Tibet is a source of raw materials and clean water. The Himalyas are to be the mines of the Chinese machine.

I hope the Greens understand the scope of threat to the ecosystem

I can only think of Hitler as he put his feet into nearby nations claiming these nations were traditionally part of Germany. History is repeating itself. Hitler’s Olympics was to be the propaganda tool to prove the superiority of the Nazi system. Today it is China. If it takes a politically correct religion to motivate our press so be it.

As my favorite publication reads

When in the course of human events it becomes necessary….

entagor on April 11, 2008 at 11:06 AM

Hmmm… another take, she should PRESS CHARGES.

As far as I can assertain, CHINESE security folks TOOK HER FLAG.

They are not Police… not here. They are NOT empowered to confiscate anything… so it becomes a matter of assault, and theft.

Romeo13 on April 11, 2008 at 11:07 AM

No I am not grasping at straws – I have heard it, and read about it. Gay men use it too for white on Asian sex – they even call them Rice Queens. I’m not kidding. I am not a bigot, I think what she said was directed at the white/and Asian cops, and was meant to be derogatory. If I’m wrong about it – so be it. That’s what it sounded like to me.

Enlightened on April 10, 2008 at 7:06 PM

You are full of crap–whatever race you are.

baldilocks on April 11, 2008 at 12:55 PM

You are full of crap–whatever race you are.

baldilocks on April 11, 2008 at 12:55 PM

I’m actually not – I guess in the SF Bay Area things sound different to different people. +

I’m a many years married hetero, old, white female conservative and I just thought her usage of that age-old cliche a tad out of place amidst white and Asian police, during a volatile situation, who just busted her surreptitious political protest.

I apologize to all.

Enlightened on April 11, 2008 at 1:38 PM

Enlightened on April 11, 2008 at 1:38 PM

You took my insult well. Kudos and I apologize as well.

And I’m glad that you realize that you need to get out more. :-)

baldilocks on April 11, 2008 at 2:55 PM

You took my insult well. Kudos and I apologize as well.

And I’m glad that you realize that you need to get out more. :-)

baldilocks on April 11, 2008 at 2:55 PM

See – you can teach an old dog new tricks.

I’m might need to get out more, but not here in SF – too freaking weird and getting weirder every day. I live in the ‘burbs – prolly why I’m in need of insult therapy.

Enlightened on April 11, 2008 at 3:09 PM

Enlightened on April 11, 2008 at 3:09 PM

You are allllright. :) Don’t get out more, hang around in here more!

RushBaby on April 11, 2008 at 3:38 PM

In an odd way this was the most disturbing protest I’d ever been to — because it thoroughly reconfigured the traditional political landscape. I’m no fan of the Chinese government, and for the most part sympathized with the causes of the protesters. Because of this I ended up on the same side as people whom I normally loathe…

-Zombie

About sums it up for me, too.

RushBaby on April 11, 2008 at 3:49 PM