Shock: UN appoints pro-Zionist conservative as special envoy to Israel and Palestine

posted at 5:01 pm on April 9, 2008 by Allahpundit

Kidding. He’s a Truther with a weak spot for Ward Churchill and Israel/Nazi comparisons, of course.

The next UN investigator into Israeli conduct in the occupied territories has stood by comments comparing Israeli actions in Gaza to those of the Nazis.

Speaking to the BBC, Professor Richard Falk said he believed that up to now Israel had been successful in avoiding the criticism that it was due.

Professor Falk is scheduled to take up his post for the UN Human Rights Council later in the year.

Seriously, I’m glad to hear it. The more naked the bias is — and it’s awfully naked at this point– the more discredited the organization becomes. Can we get this guy appointed as Falk’s special advisor?

Update: Case in point. A few years ago, Israel might have thought twice about pulling a move like that. Now, though? Why not? What fair-minded American anywhere to the right of MoveOn would fault them for it?

Comments

Call me a sucker.

infidel on April 9, 2008 at 5:04 PM

From what I recall from LGF, I think Israel has said they will refuse him entry into the country.

Here’s the link from Haaratz or something: http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/972974.html

Good for Israel, bad on the UN.

Vanceone on April 9, 2008 at 5:06 PM

Darn you, AP!

Weight of Glory on April 9, 2008 at 5:06 PM

I understand that Israel has refused to let him enter the country. Good for them.

Les in NC on April 9, 2008 at 5:07 PM

For me, that headline was the shortest-lived surge of enthusiasm evah.

innominatus on April 9, 2008 at 5:09 PM

I can proudly say you didn’t fool me for a second. The day the UN appoints a pro-Israel, non-lib to that position, is the day I’ll look out my window and see pigs flying to escape the frigid climate of hell.

amerpundit on April 9, 2008 at 5:11 PM

Israel to UN: Falk you!

Hilts on April 9, 2008 at 5:11 PM

damn it allahpundit
i’m a sucker too

Defector01 on April 9, 2008 at 5:11 PM

I can proudly say you didn’t fool me for a second.

Yeah, how can anyone have been fooled? What’s next? “Shock: Daily Kos endorses McCain.” REALLY?

Allahpundit on April 9, 2008 at 5:12 PM

Didn’t fool me because I recognized the photo. That nose is … memorable. Or did the photog use a fisheye lens?

boko fittleworth on April 9, 2008 at 5:14 PM

Who twisted the U.N’s arm ? God Bless whoever it was!

Maxx on April 9, 2008 at 5:17 PM

The U.N in a sentence, from my favorite “flagarant Islamophobe” as follow:

When you mix 1/4 a quart of ice cream with 3/4 a quart of dog excrement, the resulting concoction will invariably taste more like the latter then the former. -Mark Steyn

VolMagic on April 9, 2008 at 5:18 PM

Oh Allah ….. that’s what I get for not reading the dang thing first.

Maxx on April 9, 2008 at 5:19 PM

Allahpundit on April 9, 2008 at 5:12 PM

They say I’m gullible because I am the second born. Inside, I was like, “Awsome, it’s about time.” I’ll leave you to your imagine my internal dialogue at the disappointment.

samuelrylander on April 9, 2008 at 5:20 PM

Professor Falk

We use the term loosely, of course.

VolMagic on April 9, 2008 at 5:21 PM

Allah, you could have told me that Hillary Clinton had just switched philosophies and parties, and is now running under the Republican ticket, with Vince Foster as her zombified running mate, and that would be more believable.

MadisonConservative on April 9, 2008 at 5:22 PM

When are we going to withhold money from that marxist, anti-American, anti-Israeli organization?

Bambi on April 9, 2008 at 5:25 PM

I figured if it had actually been true, done for some political reason, the guy would obviously have been a deep-cover double agant.

eeyore on April 9, 2008 at 5:26 PM

If that Iranian fellow is not available to lend Professor Falk a hand, perhaps Sen. Obama can demonstrate his diplomacy bona fides by recommending a back up. Obviously a man of the cloth would be best. Being a rabid anti-Semite I suppose goes without saying. And ideally the candidate should be a person of means with some time on his hands (e.g., a wealthy retired minister cooling his heels while his 10,000 sq ft mansion is completed). Surely the Senator knows of such a person to put at the world’s disposal.

scatbug on April 9, 2008 at 5:31 PM

Bambi on April 9, 2008 at 5:25 PM

It would take a person who isn’t currently running for President to do that. So I would guess the earliest possible, if ever, to be 10 years. Although a bunch of the diplomats there working in coordination could possibly smuggle some WMD into NYC and speed-up the process.

JiangxiDad on April 9, 2008 at 5:35 PM

Allahpundit on April 9, 2008 at 5:12 PM

not funny. ok, a little funny. all right; I totally fell for it. I thought, “wow, maybe someone at the un-u.n. has gotten a clue.” I guess I am an optimist at least some of the time. lesson learned. ;)

Branch Rickey on April 9, 2008 at 5:45 PM

Seriously, does that even matter?

jrl on April 9, 2008 at 6:07 PM

I wonder if anyone is paying this tool real money or if he actually believes the rubbish he spouts.

Ares on April 9, 2008 at 6:22 PM

Looks like Jimmy Carter after someone punched him in the nose.

And just as bright.

profitsbeard on April 9, 2008 at 6:49 PM

Oh, come on! Well, there goes the “Audacity” of my “Hope”, right out the proverbial window…

Just for that brief moment, from clicking the link to loading of the page, I was so THERE…I thought, maybe, just maybe, the UN will be overwhelmed with reason. But, no.

Oh, well, maybe the Leafs will win the Stanley Cup next season, too.

dmh0667 on April 9, 2008 at 7:16 PM

At the case in point link:

Israel has objected for years to what it perceives as anti-Israel bias by many UN bodies.

Emphasis added. Come on, is that really such a subjective judgment?

Splunge on April 9, 2008 at 7:24 PM

Oh, well, maybe the Leafs will win the Stanley Cup next season, too.

Pepsi came out of my nose.

jrl on April 9, 2008 at 7:46 PM

Oh, well, maybe the Leafs will win the Stanley Cup next season, too.

Pepsi came out of my nose.

jrl on April 9, 2008 at 7:46 PM

!?!? What? I was serious! 8^D

The only thing I think I can cheer about these days Hockey-wise is that Gary Roberts (one of my heros from the Leafs’ “bandage-and-sports tape” run in the playoffs a couple of seasons ago, BTW) scored a goal for the Pens against the Kanata Senators earlier tonight in the first two minutes of the game tonight!

dmh0667 on April 9, 2008 at 7:53 PM

dmh0667

Excuse me, please – the two blogs I’ve been following religiously as of late are this one and Abel to Yzerman. So, yeah, you can understand my bias ;D

jrl on April 9, 2008 at 8:39 PM

Man, that guy’s as ugly as his soul.

Mark V. on April 9, 2008 at 8:40 PM

jrl on April 9, 2008 at 8:39 PM

Understood completely! Being a fan of a consistently winning, playoff-bound NHL team….what’s it like? I’ve heard it’s pretty neat!

dmh0667 on April 9, 2008 at 9:40 PM

There are about 1000 ‘Richard Falks’ at the American Society for International Law where Mr. Falk holds the position of Vice-President.

ASIL blames the NY Times editorial page for the worldwide ignoramus of International Law.

gabriel sutherland on April 10, 2008 at 10:15 AM