Video: Michael Monsoor awarded Medal of Honor

posted at 4:53 pm on April 8, 2008 by Allahpundit

An honor richly deserved for a hero among heroes. I’d love to know what Bush said to his father and vice versa; the body language is interesting. What can anyone possibly say at that moment? Click the image to watch.

Update: The answer to my question.

monsoor-moh.jpg

Comments

God bless Michael Monsoor.

KelliD on April 8, 2008 at 4:55 PM

Allah,

Have you seen this picture?

Sue on April 8, 2008 at 4:56 PM

What can anyone possibly say at that moment?

Thank you is all you can say to the Family of a hero like that.

And I apologize for earlier to both you and Ed. I wasn’t catching the sarcasm.

upinak on April 8, 2008 at 4:59 PM

God bless these fine Americans! It’s because of people like them that the rest of us are free to debate, complain, speak our minds or offer our thanks.

I had the honor of meeting David Bellavia (author of ‘House to House’) today at the Vets For Freedom rally. Thank God we have people like him to protect us from the evil men in this world.

Thank you Monsoor Family, David, the VFF and of the Vets on HotAir, because of people like you, my wife doesn’t have to wear a burqa and my daughter is free from the horrors of FGM and childhood marriage.

Tony737 on April 8, 2008 at 5:00 PM

Bless his brave heart.

And our fervent thanks and humble gratitude to his family for raising such a son.

tree hugging sister on April 8, 2008 at 5:02 PM

God bless this family, and God rest their brave son.

President Bush is a special man — I know he’s made some mistakes, but one thing he remains is in touch with the troops and their families.

Richard Romano on April 8, 2008 at 5:04 PM

a selfless act, dying to save the lives of his brothers in combat. there is a good reason why acts like this appeal to us the way they do…

jp on April 8, 2008 at 5:06 PM

When I watched it earlier, you could really see Bush was on the verge of tears when the actions for the citation were being described. I am sure that was not the only misty eyes there.

firepilot on April 8, 2008 at 5:09 PM

the video is not playing.

Chudi on April 8, 2008 at 5:13 PM

Bush: “… the U.S. Navy SeALs, the finest warriors on the face of the Earth …”

Monsoor: “Roger that.”

Tony737 on April 8, 2008 at 5:18 PM

The President, more than likely, had a heavy heart, as did everyone in the room. That has to be the toughest part about that job, in that, facing the family of an American patriot that has given the ultimate sacrifice.

God bless Michael’s family and job well done by President Bush.

TimboJackson on April 8, 2008 at 5:20 PM

Jason Dunham

Paul Smith

Micheal Murphy

Micheal Monsoor

Four names that only a small handful of Americans know. How sad that most of us can easily name Angelina, Britney, Paris and Rosie.

Tony737 on April 8, 2008 at 5:22 PM

God Bless you Michael and the Monsoor family for giving this country so much. Your sacrifice can never be repaid but will never be forgotten. You are a shining representative of our brave military men and woman that continue to unselfishly serve our country, our gratitude is immeasurable.

trs on April 8, 2008 at 5:26 PM

The picture of President Bush with tears rolling down his cheeks proclaims more of the TRUTH of the man than all the libelous claims of his detractors haters. I have always respected this man, and do so more than ever at times like these. And, may an aging Army Ranger say thank God for men like Mike Monsoor.

Longhorn Six on April 8, 2008 at 5:28 PM

Tony737,

Isn’t that the saddest thing? Genuine heroes and they have to give the American public fake ones.

Sue on April 8, 2008 at 5:32 PM

I am not a crier. I hardly ever cry at funerals. Never at movies, except Cowboys and Old Yeller. But run a flag up a pole, play the anthem or let me watch or read about one of our troops getting hurt or dying and I sob like a baby. I would have not been able to get through the ceremony. I would have been a blubbering idiot.

God bless the family that raised a son like Michael Monsoor.

Sue on April 8, 2008 at 5:36 PM

It is hard to type, the tears for this wonderful American and his family. God has blessed the United States of America with men and women like this. Thank you, Michael Monsoor.
L

letget on April 8, 2008 at 5:38 PM

He was a better man than me. Maybe I don’t myself credit and I would have jumped on the grenade too, but I don’t think so. I love life too much. Let’s never forget him, and let’s remember his comrades who still breathe and fight for us and for Iraqi peace.

Dr. Manhattan on April 8, 2008 at 5:43 PM

Much of the country takes these heros for granted or may even malign them. Thankfully, Jay Rockefeller made no comment.

a capella on April 8, 2008 at 5:56 PM

Where do we get men like this? May God comfort the family and friends of Michael Monsoor. RIP Michael, you are and will always be an American hero. We owe you much but can only pay tribute. Thank you for protecting our freedoms.

d1carter on April 8, 2008 at 5:58 PM

Dr. Manhattan on April 8, 2008 at 5:43 PM

I don’t mean to nitpick, but it’s not a question of loving life. We all love life. The question is, when faced with a choice to save my own life or someone else’s, do I love my [family/friend/comrade] more than myself?

Neither I nor anyone else here can say for certain exactly what we would do when faced with such a choice, especially when we have a split-second to choose. But it is my belief that if my/your life right now is generally focused less on our own well-being than on the well-being of others, I/you will likely make a less selfish choice when that critical moment comes.

Splashman on April 8, 2008 at 6:02 PM

Isn’t that the saddest thing? – Sue

Yes, it’s pathetic. We go about our daily lives not even thinking about what our lives would be like if not for heroes like Monsoor.

…let me watch or read about one of our troops getting hurt or dying and I sob like a baby. – Sue

You oughta go to Sea World. Before the Shamu show starts, they put a video on the big screen. I was there on my ‘second 1st date’ with my then-future wife (the beautiful Mrs.737) and was trying to not to let her see me holding back the tears.

Thank you Sea World, for not taking our freedom for granted. When my daughter (the deadly cute Baby737) is old enough, I WILL be taking her there on a frequent basis.

Tony737 on April 8, 2008 at 6:04 PM

Tears run down President Bush’s

He’s not the only one. That was a very moving ceremony. May God the Father Almighty rest his Soul and comfort his family and his team.

Zorro on April 8, 2008 at 6:16 PM

Michael Monsoor makes me think that there’s still hope for America.

TooTall on April 8, 2008 at 6:18 PM

Uncommon valor.

Thank you, Michael Monsoor. May God bless and comfort your family.

AZCoyote on April 8, 2008 at 6:25 PM

THERE.ARE.NO.WORDS.

SouthernGent on April 8, 2008 at 6:27 PM

From my Brother a retired Navy Seal………

“God Bless him and his family. If you remember, lift your glass to the heavens on April 8th and toast Mike with a loud HOOO-YA and let him know how proud we are of him, he will love it.”

I think the crowd here at HotAir can accomodate his request…….

HOOO-YA Mike, and GodSpeed!!!!

Seven Percent Solution on April 8, 2008 at 6:45 PM

Memory Eternal!

Thank you, Michael.

HerrMorgenholz on April 8, 2008 at 7:06 PM

Oh and a loud: HOOOO-YAA!

HerrMorgenholz on April 8, 2008 at 7:07 PM

I was just reading about all of these men last week. Listening to the citation, I couldn’t help but well up as it gave more detail than the website I read. I truly thank God for all of these men and women b/c I do not know if I would be strong enough to have the courage for such a task.

God bless Michael Monsoor and may he rest in peace.

Dubn8tr on April 8, 2008 at 7:13 PM

It makes me proud to be an American…and not for the first time either.

repvoter on April 8, 2008 at 7:31 PM

I am in such awe of what this person did. I really think it’s a miracle that in that split second when the grenade was lying there on the ground, this hero chose, willingly, to do what he did. It makes you wonder how many of us are capable of such an act. I guess that’s why they call them THE FEW.

Baphomet on April 8, 2008 at 7:35 PM

The MSM could not hide from this one here. He died and they have to show him for the hero he is and was.

TroubledMonkey on April 8, 2008 at 8:51 PM

I watched live and was very moved. President Bush is a special man with the weight of the world on his shoulders, yet still moved to tears by the sacrifice of this American hero. All I can say is God bless this mans family, God bless America, and God bless President Bush.

Wise Golden on April 8, 2008 at 9:33 PM

And as for Micheal Monsoor – God has made us all equal in heaven, but in my Fathers house there are many mansions. God has reserved a special place for Micheal Monsoor.

Wise Golden on April 8, 2008 at 9:40 PM

Hooo-Yaaa, words are’nt enough.

Johan Klaus on April 8, 2008 at 11:58 PM

Michael Monsoor makes me think that there’s still hope for America.

TooTall on April 8, 2008 at 6:18 PM

As long as there are men like Michael Monsoor, there always will be.

GT on April 9, 2008 at 7:41 AM

Michael Monsoor was one of a kind. I will never forget his selfless act. I honestly don’t know what I would have done in his situation, but I hope that I would have been selfless and brave enough to sacrifice myself for the lives of my friends. God Bless Michael Monsoor.

Erockk on April 9, 2008 at 10:56 AM

Michelle O’Bama should watch this video. Maybe then it will give her something to be proud of. Oh wait…..the only thing in her adult life that she is proud of in America is her husband’s popularity in the polls. Ungrateful bigot wench.

That was very moving and God Bless Michael Monsoor ans his family. If this does not make you a proud American knowing that we have courageous men and women serving our country in the cause of freedom then nothing else will.

Winebabe on April 9, 2008 at 11:11 AM

AP, this needs to be put first on top of the Top Picks, don’t you think?

As a resident of Orange County, CA, I’m heartened to know that he was a “neighbor”. May God take take of you and your family, Michael.

kevcad on April 9, 2008 at 2:21 PM