Sadrist spokesman: Why, we never said anything about letting clerics decide the fate of the Mahdi Army

posted at 4:08 pm on April 8, 2008 by Allahpundit

The movement must really be in turmoil if one spokesman’s telling CNN that the clerics declined to order them to disband and another spokesman’s claiming they never intended to ask the clerics in the first place, huh?

Actually, it’s better than that. From last night’s CNN piece:

Iraq’s top Shiite religious leaders have told anti-American cleric Muqtada al-Sadr not to disband his Mehdi Army, an al-Sadr spokesman said Monday amid fresh fighting in the militia’s Baghdad strongholds…

Sadr spokesman Salah al-Obeidi said al-Sadr has consulted with Iraq’s Shiite clerical leadership “and they refused that.” He did not provide details of the talks.

And from the Iraqi news agency Aswat al-Iraq:

The official spokesman for al-Sadr’s office on Monday denied that Shiite Cleric Muqtada al-Sadr had referred the dissolution of al-Mahdi army to Shiite clerics, describing reports in this regard as inaccurate.

“Shiite Cleric Muqtada al-Sadr did not think of dissolving al-Mahdi army,” Sheikh Salah al-Ubeidi told Aswat al-Iraq – Voices of Iraq – (VOI), noting that “we have no right to interfere in freezing or dissolving al-Mahdi army because it is an exclusive right of Muqtada al-Sadr.”

Three possibilities: (1) translation error; (2) Aswat has some sort of sectarian agenda and can’t be trusted; (3) Sadr did in fact consult the clerics, didn’t get the answer he was looking for, and now he’s spinning every which way but loose to save face. What’d I miss?

Comments

So… uh… he’s still a thuggish kingpin?

Vizzini on April 8, 2008 at 4:11 PM

Oh I know I know, pick me….

It’s an evil BushCheney plot…duh!

titleist123 on April 8, 2008 at 4:18 PM

You didn’t miss anything Allah. It all sounds good. This fella is a tool, nothing more, nothing less. He goes the way the wind tells him to go. Today it’s A, tomorrow it’s B.
As long as they can use him then they will.

So our strategy is what exactly? Let them continue? I guess so.

Limerick on April 8, 2008 at 4:18 PM

So… uh… he’s still a thuggish kingpin?

I think he’s an unwashed pig sorta guy.

Onager on April 8, 2008 at 4:18 PM

Apparently Sadr’s decided to take a play from the Obama playbook.

amerpundit on April 8, 2008 at 4:20 PM

He needs toothwhitener, a shave, and a communications co-ordinator. I hear Mark Penn is available, but is expensive.

a capella on April 8, 2008 at 4:21 PM

Man, Sadr is such a pain in the ass. I bet he didn’t think things would turn out this way. He must hate the US Army.

Dr. Manhattan on April 8, 2008 at 4:22 PM

Are dentists unIslamic or something?

MarkTheGreat on April 8, 2008 at 4:30 PM

Is it just me, or are more and more published news accounts of current events reading like a Dilbert cartoon?

rockhauler on April 8, 2008 at 4:32 PM

Anyone got Al-Sistani’s phone number?

Romeo13 on April 8, 2008 at 4:34 PM

His teef is looking bad

Asher on April 8, 2008 at 4:35 PM

The fourth possibility is these bungholes saw the Hot Air link to the 747 with the laser. Suddenly the issue is one of those I-got-it/you-take-it fly balls. Just a thought.

Akzed on April 8, 2008 at 4:39 PM

I can smell mookie through the picture. Yack!!

Geronimo on April 8, 2008 at 4:40 PM

Am I the only one who thinks of this when you see al-Sadr?

doubleplusundead on April 8, 2008 at 4:40 PM

Spinin faster than an Iranian Centrifuge… IR2 that is…

Romeo13 on April 8, 2008 at 5:48 PM

Sadr’s group has been watching Barack Obama too much.

TooTall on April 8, 2008 at 6:06 PM

I look at that picture of him and my front teeth immediately begin to throb.

sheesh on April 8, 2008 at 6:36 PM

a capella on April 8, 2008 at 4:21 PM

I think that he already has several spokesmen in hollywood and a certain political party.

Johan Klaus on April 8, 2008 at 11:49 PM