Rockefeller: Military pilots don’t care about humanity Update: Rockefeller apologizes

posted at 1:55 pm on April 8, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

Wow. Just wow:

In the Charleston Gazette Sunday, Sen. Jay Rockefeller, D-WV, who has endorsed Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., said that Sen. John McCain “has a temper” and, according to the story, “believes McCain has become insensitive to many human issues.

“McCain was a fighter pilot, who dropped laser-guided missiles from 35,000 feet. He was long gone when they hit. What happened when they [the missiles] get to the ground? He doesn’t know. You have to care about the lives of people. McCain never gets into those issues.”

If this sounds familiar to you, it should; it’s basically what the North Vietnamese said about McCain while they tortured him in the POW camps. It indicts everyone in the Air Force and the Navy whose job it is to fire laser-guided missiles now in places like Afghanistan and Iraq. Rockefeller also sounds an awful lot like Barack Obama, who claimed that the entire strategy in Afghanistan consisted of “just air raiding villages and killing civilians”.

Besides, fighter pilots don’t drop a lot of bombs; they protect bombers. They generally engage other aircraft and most of their targets are air-to-air.

So, note to our pilots and aviators: you obviously have anger issues if you enlisted in the Air Force or Navy. Senator Rockefeller and his fellow Democrats apparently believe that you hate humanity as evidenced by volunteering to conduct air campaigns against America’s enemies. In fact, Senator Rockefeller (D-WV) comes close to considering you war criminals. Of course, this would be much more offensive if Rockefeller had a single foggy clue as to what a fighter pilot actually does.

Oh, and one more note to Rockefeller: Laser-guided missiles and bombs actually reduce collateral civilian casualties. Just thought you should know.

Addendum: What was Rockefeller’s stance on Bill Clinton’s Bosnian intervention, which consisted solely of Air Force strikes?

Update: Added the Navy, which was McCain’s branch, after all … Also, Michael Goldfarb reminds Rockefeller that McCain got shot down on a low-level attack that was designed to minimize collateral casualties.

Update II: Be sure to read the comments for better clarification as to the role of fighters in Vietnam.

Update III: Rockefeller apologizes after Obama criticizes his statement:

Democratic Sen. Jay Rockefeller, a Barack Obama supporter, apologized to John McCain Tuesday for suggesting to a West Virginia newspaper that the Arizona senator does not care about “the lives of people” caught in the wars he champions, dating back to his Navy service in Vietnam.

The apology came after Barack Obama’s campaign swiftly criticized the West Virginia senator for the remarks quoted Monday in his hometown newspaper. Rockefeller told The Charleston Gazette that McCain is too far removed from the repercussions of war to deal with them. …

On Tuesday, Rockefeller issued a statement, saying, “I have deep respect for John McCain’s honorable and noble service to our country. I made an inaccurate and wrong analogy and I have extended my sincere apology to him.

“While we differ a great deal on policy issues, I profoundly respect and appreciate his dedication to our country, and I regret my very poor choice of words,” he said.

To be honest, I think the apology needed to be directed to our current and former military aviators more than John McCain.  McCain’s used to political hacks making stupid statements, but Rockefeller’s statement insulted the honor of every pilot who ever flew a war mission for the US.

Also, as I wrote last week, I’d rather the candidates quit asking for apologies for offenses against themselves and instead used the offenses as legitimate fodder for campaigning.   McCain’s no victim in American politics, and demands for apologies send the wrong message.  Let Rockefeller’s words stand in testament as to what leading Democrats really think about our military.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I do not understand why West Virginia vote Democrat. They should know better.

jdun on April 8, 2008 at 4:24 PM

Another Obama hack, sprouts off and Obama steps in and looks like the good guy.
This is getting old hat, and is a “good cop, bad cop” routine.
Obama, you are slime, and we see through your ploy…distance yourself from the attack. If the attack sticks then you step in and take it up yourself, if it “bombs” like this one, step back and wag your finger.

right2bright on April 8, 2008 at 4:24 PM

I wonder if Rockefeller feels the same way about the military pilots who bombed the living snot out of Bosnia and Kosovo. I doubt it, just as all the war protestors today were not protesting when Clinton was dropping bombs.

Seems the only thing war is good for according to these folks is removing seamin stains from presidential legacies.

RobertInAustin on April 8, 2008 at 4:24 PM

This Democrat Congress is chalk full of losers, zeros and utter incompetents. We’d do better electing a Congress full of Irish Setters.

NoDonkey on April 8, 2008 at 2:07 PM

Liberty or Death on April 8, 2008 at 4:26 PM

It’s a misquote. Sherman said “War is cruelty”.

It’s from his letter to the city fathers of Atlanta demanding that the city be evacuated so his army could occupy it.

You cannot qualify war in harsher terms than I will. War is cruelty, and you cannot refine it; and those who brought war into our country deserve all the curses and maledictions a people can pour out. I know I had no hand in making this war, and I know I will make more sacrifices to-day than any of you to secure peace.
rokemronnie on April 8, 2008 at 2:28 PM

Except he was spinning like a top. The South didn’t bring war, they just wanted to be left alone. In fact, at least 3 states left only after Lincoln declared he wanted an invasion of the seceding states.

Tim Burton on April 8, 2008 at 4:29 PM

I wonder if Rockefeller would say that about leftists George McGovern and Norman Lear.

juliesa on April 8, 2008 at 4:29 PM

Is anyone not aware of the fact that the Rockefellers are the worst thing to happen to the United States of America ever?

Almost every program that destroys America’s sovereignty and morality can be traced directly to Uncle David.

In fact David Rockefeller has OPENLY SAID that he wants to destroy America and create a one world government of “peace”!

But of course if you point that out you are automatically labeled a “lunatic conspiracy theorist”.

SaintOlaf on April 8, 2008 at 4:32 PM

I do not understand why West Virginia vote Democrat. They should know better.

Not all of us do. With exception to labor unions, we are as red as Texas. WV carried GWB in the past 2 elections. Byrd and Rockefeller deliver the pork. I could care less about the pork.

I’d rather be poor than corrupt.

natesnake on April 8, 2008 at 4:37 PM

That was my first thought, radar guided maybe but I don’t think laser guided bombs were in play until the gulf war I.

Just goes to prove what a rich idiot this guy is, he doesn’t know laser guided bombs weren’t used in Vietnam, doesn’t know a fighter pilots main function is to protect other aircraft i.e. bombers, surv aircraft, etc.

LGBs were definitely in use on a limited basis at end of Vietnam. Did you forget about Libya too?

Fighter pilots definitely have other missions than just escort, like Close Air Support, Strike (what John McCain was doing when he was shot down), Suppression/Destruction of Enemy Air Defense.

firepilot on April 8, 2008 at 4:38 PM

“Now that’s animal cruelty right there insulting all the poor Irish Setters!/sarc”

C’mon, think of the children!

Wouldn’t you rather turn on C-SPAN and see a room full of Irish Setters, rather than the likes of Ted Kennedy and Harry Reid?

I would sleep better at night knowing that the Irish Setters were in charge, rather than worthless Democrats.

NoDonkey on April 8, 2008 at 4:38 PM

Generational southern Democrat is a hard lineage to break.

I’m a first generation Republican.

natesnake on April 8, 2008 at 4:39 PM

This guy is the biggest liberal jerk alongside Kennedy and code pink that there is. Who the hell votes for this idiot?!

jencab on April 8, 2008 at 4:45 PM

What’s that old saying about it’s better to keep silent and appear to be ignorant then to speak and remove all doubt..that’s this azz hat!

Go count your money ya liberal blood sucker!

Liberty or Death on April 8, 2008 at 3:51 PM

I guess that rich idiot would be you? Before shooting your mouth off about something you know nothing about, do a little research next time before posting.

If you bothered to do some research, you’d know that LGBs were first used in Vietnam against the Thanh Hoa Bridge in 1972, which was attacked by F-4s, which managed to damage the west end of it. But the Navy thought why not destroy it completely, so they sent some A4s a week later and destroyed the bridge.

Now don’t get me wrong, I’m just as outraged as everyone else about his comments, but I also hate it people spew ignorance while bashing people. You only end up making yourself and the group you represent look foolish.

ViperPilot on April 8, 2008 at 4:45 PM

Hey there senator, how much do you “care about the lives of people”? Spend much of your own money taking care of the poor, do you?

Bishop on April 8, 2008 at 4:47 PM

I hate to say it but, as a group, we Americans are so dumb and lazy that a trustfund scumbag like Rockefeller will be re-elected with ease. Fantastically immoral and corrupt scum like Murtha, Rockefeller, Reid and Pelosi stay in office not just because of misguided libs but because people who bother to vote at all just go in and punch the card for the incumbent clown. Dumb, lazy ignorance is the dominant characteristic of the American voter and that’s not going to change.

Django on April 8, 2008 at 4:49 PM

From 1995 in the NY Times

“Denizens of Martha’s Vineyard, relax: PRESIDENT CLINTON and his family are not taking their vacation there this year. In fact, they will be thousands of miles away, at a ranch owned by Senator JOHN D. ROCKEFELLER 4th, Democrat of West Virginia, near Jackson Hole, Wyo. It is in Grand Teton National Park.”

Del Dolemonte on April 8, 2008 at 4:50 PM

Leave it to a trust-funded-peace-corps-intel-leaking-douchebag to even think something like this much less let it get past that silver spoon in his mouth.

And to be clear, I mean no offense to douchebags nor Peace Corps folks, only the senator.

Hell, if Jay Rockefeller wants to get ugly, let’s talk about the air campaign in WWII and how those air crews didn’t give a crap about the people they bombed either. Or maybe he really is trying hard not to just paint all members of the military with the same brush?

Pisses me off that asshats like him are in the places they are. Term limits would go a long way to improving our government.

jcrue on April 8, 2008 at 4:55 PM

I nominate fanderbiles for qoute of the week !!!

Hearts and Minds JasonG, hearts and minds. One in the heart and two to the mind. >:)

fanderbiles on April 8, 2008 at 3:21 PM

Ltmousseman on April 8, 2008 at 4:58 PM

Yep. Senator Rockefeller should read about strategic bombing in World War II if he wants to see how far we’ve come.

Wayne Clark on April 8, 2008 at 5:00 PM

You need to modify the terms ‘dumb and lazy’ to sheeple.

belad on April 8, 2008 at 5:08 PM

ViperPilot on April 8, 2008 at 4:45 PM, McCain was captured in 1967, before LGB entered the arsenal of American weapons. It was the USAF that developed the weapon & McCain was a naval aviator.

thegreatbeast on April 8, 2008 at 5:12 PM

He is an arrogant jackass.

JonRoss on April 8, 2008 at 5:14 PM

You’ve got to hand it to the Dems, though.

Every single day, they keep inventing NEWER and MORE NUANCED ways to say

“We Support the Troops, Just Not the War”.

Sir Napsalot on April 8, 2008 at 5:23 PM

Rockefeller set this target up for Obama to shoot down. /paranoia

baldilocks on April 8, 2008 at 5:23 PM

thegreatbeast on April 8, 2008 at 5:12 PM

I know that, please read the post I was quoting. You will see that the poster had said that LGBs weren’t used until Desert Storm. That being said, the USAF may have developed the LGB, but they were not the only ones to use it.

The A-4 Skyhawk did carry LGBs (among many other aircraft), later in the war. First it carried the Mk 1 MOD 0 (Walleye), the predecessor of the AGM-62 Walleye guided bomb, but that currently at the time was only TV guided, but a later model was laser guided. This was used by both the Air Force and the Navy in 1972.

ViperPilot on April 8, 2008 at 5:25 PM

It’s basically what Rockerfeller was saying about McCain while he (McCain) was being tortured by the North Vietnamese. What a douchebag.

Exit Question: Will Dolberman be all over this like the security guard flap?

To quote Jasper Woodcock, that’s a rhetorical question, means you don’t have to answer it.

SuperCool on April 8, 2008 at 5:27 PM

Another Obama hack, sprouts off and Obama steps in and looks like the good guy.
This is getting old hat, and is a “good cop, bad cop” routine.

right2bright on April 8, 2008 at 4:24 PM

It scares me when you and I are thinking the same thing. :-)

baldilocks on April 8, 2008 at 5:30 PM

McCain flew A-4s, and as such was an attack pilot, not a fighter pilot (the Navy makes this distinction).

He dropped dumb iron bombs, not “laser-guided missles”.

I doubt if he dropped them from 35,000 feet; A-4s often flew down in the weeds.

And where was Rockefeller when all of this happened? Out on one of his family’s yachts?

This scuzzbucket insulted every military pilot, especially Naval Aviators, with his remarks, and I for one am waiting for a meaningful apology.

glockman on April 8, 2008 at 5:31 PM

Do you really want a comparison as to the waste of human skin Jay Rockefeller is?

Consider all of the damage the liberal causes that he has supported with the likes of Ted Kennedy over the past twenty years: The War on Poverty…. Lost after Trillions in redistribution, The Welfare State….. Lost at the cost of African American families, Government Education….. Lost to the control of Teacher’s Unions, Social Security….. Lost, Lost, Lost….. all the time he oozes liberalism out of every pour and leaves a putrid slime trail behind him…..

Then you have Untied States Citizens like Michael A. Monsoor,

Jay Rockefeller……. may your rectum befall the faite of Castro.

Petty Officer Second Class (SEAL) Michael A. Monsoor…… GodSpeed!!!!

Seven Percent Solution on April 8, 2008 at 5:34 PM

ViperPilot on April 8, 2008 at 4:45 PM

First of all you don’t know me, I’m not rich and I’m not an idiot. Secondly perhaps I should re-phrase the point I was attempting to make, perhaps I should have said laser guided bombs weren’t the “norm” or were in “limited use” in Vietnam. As far as I’m concerned actual laser guided bombs really weren’t used as successfully or in such wide use until Gulf war I and the current Iraq war.

Also, I may not have served this great country of ours but my father (who’s in is 80′s now and still kickin) did for 27 years. He joined before there was an Air force, you know, the Army Air corps and he made plenty of sacrifices for this great country as do all service men and women, and while the families of all those military men and women don’t make the same level of sacrifice as those serving they do make many sacrifices of their own.

I apologize if I offended you (as it’s obvious I did) but that is no excuse to make all the disparaging assumptions you did about me, perhaps YOU yourself should ask questions of youe fellow HA posters (e.g., do some research) before you make such posts!

Liberty or Death on April 8, 2008 at 5:57 PM

Wow! What a complete idiot. Does J Rockefeller represent the leadership of the Dems? This country surely can elect better.

d1carter on April 8, 2008 at 6:02 PM

You can’t drop bombs from a figher, certainly not an A-4, from 35,000 feet with any accuracy. An A-4 is not a B-17. A-4s, like most fighter-bombers, dive bomb. They don’t bomb level. When I flew F-4s, the standard 30 degree dive bomb pass started up around 6000 feet and released somewhere around 3800 feet, I think. Half a mile up may sound like a far distance if you are afoot, but if you are pointed toward the ground flying 400 knots, it’s awfully close. Guys occassionally impacted the target long of their bombs. Sometimes, when you looked back toward the bomb smoke, you could see the wingtip vortices stirring the smoke around.

I notice that most lefty haters of the military think and talk in WWII terms, probably because old war movies is the closest they’ve ever gotten to the military.

Tantor on April 8, 2008 at 6:07 PM

Sounds like he doesn’t know the difference between BOMBS and MISSILES … that’s because he looooooooove peace! Laser guided BOMBS were used at the end of the Vietnam war, MISSILES are TV guided, BOMBS are laser guided. Missiles are guided self-propelled, rockets are UNguided self-propelled, bombs are gravity propelled.

And this guy is on the Senate Armed Services Committee?

Tony737 on April 8, 2008 at 6:16 PM

Tony737 on April 8, 2008 at 6:16 PM

ViperPilot on April 8, 2008 at 6:20 PM

Senator Rockefeller shows what he’s made of by attacking the character of someone he disagrees with.

TooTall on April 8, 2008 at 6:22 PM

Tantor on April 8, 2008 at 6:07 PM

Hey Tantor, how are you? The post Viper was referring to was something I posted earlier. I’m at work and don’t always have the time to elaborate on the point I’m trying to get across, but as you so well illustrated in your post it all depends on the aricraft and the role it was designed for, e.g., fighter escort, fighter/bomber, etc.

As for LGB’s, while LGB’s may have been in use in Vietnam (toward the end of the conflict) I’m fairly certain they were in limited use and were no doubt in their infancy as far as development goes.

You really (IMHO) can’t compare the early LGB’s with todays, that’s like comparing a Sherman tank to an Abrahms. Bottom line is while I never served and I am by no means an “expert” like Viper I think I know much more about the military (having been an Air Force brat for most of my early years) then the azz-hat liberal puke Jay R. does because scum like Jay hate and do not support the military, the very people that provide him his freedom to become filthy rich!

Liberty or Death on April 8, 2008 at 6:25 PM

Even if you talk of true bomber pilots who fly that type of mission be it a B52 strategic bomber or an EA-6 tactical bomber all those guy are well aware of the impact they are having. The study the targets and continually evaluate how to prosecute the target while minimizing collateral damage.

Plus they also review the post attack photo recon to see exactly what was done for bomb damage assessment and lessons learned to be carried forward. Today it’s gun camera footage and replays of radar tracking and UAV’s going back to have a look.

It is also interesting to note that RockHead sits on the intelligence committee which has the most up to date information of the type and techniques and capabilities of weapon systems that possibly include stuff that hasn’t even got out into unclassified form yet.

Simply politics in play because he has the information available to him that clearly counters the base logic of his assertions.

CommentGuy on April 8, 2008 at 6:33 PM

“Ace” gave Rockefeller a well deserved “Douche of the Week” award http://ace.mu.nu/

rplat on April 8, 2008 at 7:30 PM

McCain and by extension fighter pilots don’t care about who they drop bombs on? I know it’s fiction but if anyone caught HBO’s recent series In Treatment they’d see Blair Underwood play a Navy fighter pilot showing so much humanity. Those guys may be highly trained and highly skilled, but they’re not inhuman robots. They know they’re flying in defense of their country and are fully aware of what they’re doing.

seanhackbarth on April 8, 2008 at 7:45 PM

Rockem,

Sherman did, indeed, say ‘War is cruelty’ in his letter to the Mayor of Atlanta. However, Sherman also said this:

‘Suppress it! You don’t know the horrible aspects of war. I’ve been through two wars and I know. I’ve seen cities and homes in ashes. I’ve seen thousands of men lying on the ground, their dead faces looking up at the skies. I tell you, war is hell!

emphasis mine.

SeniorD on April 8, 2008 at 7:58 PM

blink on April 8, 2008 at 7:43 PM

Please look to see who I was quoting before posting. Thank you and have a nice day.

ViperPilot on April 8, 2008 at 8:00 PM

Can’t believe this idiot is a United States Senator !!! The dummy does not even know that there were NO Laser Guided bombs in the days when Sen. McCain was a fighter pilot !!!
Too much of OIL Money has gone through his head !!!

aniladesai on April 8, 2008 at 8:21 PM

“Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.”

(Abraham Lincoln)

Bootleghooch on April 8, 2008 at 9:05 PM

Rockthefella is on one of the top secret defense committees. He knows dang well what’s what. He only apologized because his statement embarrassed the Obama people for whom he supports. Jay is for Jackass and he is # 1.

wepeople on April 8, 2008 at 9:06 PM

There are also some bombs that are TV Guided, like the AGM-62 Walleye, and not all missiles are TV Guided. – ViperPilot

You are correct sir! We also have radar guided and heat seekering missiles, anti-radiation missiles and now GPS guided bombs and a whole lot more (I was an Ammo troop in the Air Force) I was just too lazy to go through the whole list.

Tony737 on April 8, 2008 at 9:20 PM

How in the hell did a Rockefeller become a democrat? What this his way of presenting himself as a champion of the common folk? Looks like they fell for it hook, line, and sinker.

THE CHOSEN ONE on April 8, 2008 at 9:43 PM

So artillery personnel would be guilty of this “war crime” and by extension all sailors as well. As a matter of fact with this pitiable mind set the only just killing would be a .45 to the forehead or slitting their throat just to show that you were fully emotionally engaged in the effort.

Wasn’t Jay’s brain partially eaten by cannibals in the South Pacific?

BL@KBIRD on April 8, 2008 at 9:54 PM

Django on April 8, 2008 at 4:49 PM

Travel much?

silverfox on April 8, 2008 at 10:01 PM

Tony737 on April 8, 2008 at 9:20 PM

Thanks for your service Tony! I know what you mean about the whole big list of ordinance we’ve got at our disposal, and too many to name. I’m AF here as well, currently going on year 4 in the reserves, and in a year I’ll finally commission and go Active Duty. (And just so ya know, the ViperPilot username is a reference to the TV Show Battlestar Galactica, I’m not a actual Viper Pilot. . .yet. One can hope. :) )

Too much of OIL Money has gone through his head !!!

aniladesai on April 8, 2008 at 8:21 PM

Psst. . . there actually was some.

ViperPilot on April 8, 2008 at 10:17 PM

Jay Rockefeller.
No wonder everybody hates rich people.

whitetop on April 8, 2008 at 10:24 PM

The goofball son-in-law of former RINO Senator Charles Percy of Illinois.
Which states have the worst set of Senators?
1. California
2. Vermont
3. Massachusetts
4. New York
5. Pennsylvania
6. Illinois

Hilts on April 8, 2008 at 10:40 PM

Oops I need to ad West Virginia to the above list

Hilts on April 8, 2008 at 10:41 PM

My apologies if someone’s posted this link already, as I haven’t read through all of the replies, but it’s a good one.

TeeDee on April 8, 2008 at 10:56 PM

We have got some real bright senators.

Johan Klaus on April 8, 2008 at 11:16 PM

And don’t forget Maine.

Flar on April 8, 2008 at 11:33 PM

…what leading Democrats think of the military.

“I loathe the military.”
–A twentysomething Bill Clinton.

jgapinoy on April 9, 2008 at 12:27 AM

No matter how much the Democrats state that they love our troops, periodically, one of them comes out with some statement that demonstrates that many of them (not all) actually have disdain for the institution of the American military. In recent times, we have seen Democratic members of Congress compare our military to Nazis, Soviets, and Genghis Khan in their conduct of the war in Iraq. Names? Ted Kennedy, John Murtha, Dick Durbin, John Kerry and Ted Kennedy. (Murtha and Kerry are combat veterans themselves, which must be pointed out.)

The latest is West Virginia Senator Jay Rockefeller. This is what he stated this week about John McCain:

“McCain was a fighter pilot who dropped laser-guided missiles from 35,000 feet. He was long gone when they hit. What happened when they (the missiles) get to the ground? He doesn’t know. You have to care about the lives of people. McCain never gets into those issues”.

Here is the response from the McCain side:

“Senator Rockefeller’s statement is an insult to all the men and women who are serving or have served in America’s military. Had Senator Rockefeller served himself, he would appreciate and understand that most who have been to war emerge with a much deeper concern for humanity than they otherwise might. If he knew what he was talking about, he would know that John McCain wasn’t dropping laser-guided missiles at 35,000 feet in 1967.”

Today, Rockefeller issued a statement saying, “I have deep respect for John McCain’s honorable and noble service to our country. I made an inaccurate and wrong analogy and I have extended my sincere apology to him.

While we differ a great deal on policy issues, I profoundly respect and appreciate his dedication to our country, and I regret my very poor choice of words.”

So, Senator Rockefeller, what was your innacurate and wrong analogy, plus your very poor choice of words? Was it the fact that laser-guided bombs were not used until after McCain was a POW? Was it the fact that he was shot down at 4,500 feet, an altitude used in order to decrease collateral damage? Was it the fact that on the last occasion, McCain was not “long gone”, rather was shot down and taken prisoner? Or was it, perhaps that you condemned McCain for merely carrying out his duty as a pilot?

As has been pointed out, Rockefeller, who is almost the same age as McCain, did not serve in the military during that era-nor any other era. (He was in the Peace Corps.) Yet, he joins oher prominent hypocrites like Michael Moore, Bill Maher and Howard Dean, none of whom ever served in the military, yet had the gumption to call President Bush words, like “draftdodger”, “deserter” and “AWOL” because of his National Guard service.

It is fine that Rockefeller apologized, but is this what he really feels about military pilots? Why did he say this to begin with? I hope the voters of West Virginia remember this statement the next time Rockefeller runs for re-election.

gary fouse
fousesquawk

gary fouse on April 9, 2008 at 1:17 AM

To tell you the truth, I am getting sick of Obamites making incendiary statements just so his reverence can be seen to condemn them.

This smacks of the Huckabee trick of “some people say”.

davod on April 9, 2008 at 5:57 AM

Yet another America hating liberal politician Brought to you by the fools in WV who re-elect Rockefeller time-after-time.

orlandocajun on April 9, 2008 at 7:12 AM

He’s lying right through his snaggle teeth. I’ve seen this anti-military crap from the democrat weasels for the last 40+ years. When Vietnam was LBJ’s war the democrats were all for it. When Nixon took over they turned against the war and between them and their running dogs in the media – specifically, Ol’ Pinko Cronkite – assured defeat for this country in Vietnam. The same cards are in play now. If Hillary or Obama wins in November watch how fast the dems become pro-war.
This is one more reason why I have never voted for a democrat and why I never will. I’ll stay home if the only choice I have is a commie-democrat.

Btw – McCain was a bomber pilot not a fighter pilot. The A4 is a purely offensive weapons system – it doesnt even carry guns. It’s much like the WWII RAF Mosquito. It depended on its speed to get it to the target and back. Sometimes speed didnt work – ask McCain.

abcurtis on April 9, 2008 at 8:12 AM

I dont understand why he felt the need to issue a useless apology. His seat is assured for life, he most likely will not run for any other office, and if he did the people who think like him will vote for him.
Just another empty string of words from a useless politician. But McCain being a better man than I am will most likely accept the apology.

abcurtis on April 9, 2008 at 8:22 AM

The Obamites are baiting McCain so that he can show his “temper’.

davod on April 9, 2008 at 8:24 AM

Jay Rockefeller’s military duty was nonexistent. He used his family money to secure a nice cushy position in the Peace Corps where he lounged by the pool and occasionally told the natives about his family’s money. Rockefeller can not point to one day of his life where he actually did real work. For Rockefeller it has been a life of ease, buying a Senate seat in a poor state, going off to elite private boarding schools and summering on the family estates. When you listen to Jay Rockefeller talk, it is like listening to some rich kid in the 1930s. Maybe that why Jay Rockefeller is so frail and pale. He never had to do anything for himself. It’s all servants and butlers and nannies.

Larraby on April 9, 2008 at 9:25 AM

What a laugh. If he had respect for McCain’s honorable and noble service he’d never have made the comment in the first place.

srhoades on April 9, 2008 at 10:38 AM

Laser guided bombs in Vietnam? Probably controlled by laptops also? Idiot is too kind a word and Congressman is exactly the right job!

sabbott on April 9, 2008 at 11:09 AM

Tory Rockefeller, circa 1777:

The damned flintlocks used by soldiers during the Revolutionary War kill Redcoats who are marching honestly across open fields, while the revolutionaries hide behind trees like cowards.

Asshat.

profitsbeard on April 9, 2008 at 11:48 AM

Yeah, those sociopathic pilots. Why can’t they be more involved in the lives of the common man, like Jay Rockerfeller?

Virus-X on April 9, 2008 at 1:24 PM

Brilliant, Ed. I especially like the point that we should start using their own words against them. If only McCain had not started with the apologies for the truth-telling of Repubs and conservatives. This is one of the examples where I think the Stockholm syndrome is evident in McCain’s behavior. I wish that there was treatment for that; alas.

Obamarama’s ignorant and glib comment: “just air raiding villages and killing civilians”, is reminiscent of Mr. Teresa Heinz Kerry’s testimony back in 70-something. It’s one group of soundbites that i wish wasn’t stuck in my head so vividly. Anyway, such B.S. is embedded in the lefty script, but it’s something I can’t seem to get used to. That must be a good thing…

Christine on April 9, 2008 at 1:50 PM

Jay Rockefeller is a pampered priss who grew up in wealth and privilege. Wealth and privilege that came, in part, by his family raping the great state of West Virginia for most of the 20th century of its natural resources.

MoCoM on April 9, 2008 at 6:20 PM