Left’s attempt to smear David Bellavia as racist thwarted by Jimmy Hoffa’s son

posted at 6:36 pm on April 8, 2008 by Allahpundit

“Surely they’d give a Medal of Honor nominee the benefit of the doubt on an ambiguous quote, AP.” Well, no, not if he’s a hawk, but they’re treading lightly on this one anyway. Thank the Teamsters, whose president found a timely analogy for the Messiah’s political prowess on a conference call this morning:

Unfortunately for the Obama team, who might’ve been able to make some hay of McCain’s intro, Teamsters prez James Hoffa mentioned [Tiger] Woods today on a call with reporters. When asked if PA voters — translation PA’s white working class voters — were concerned about Obama’s race, he said: “With regard to his race, he’s African American. I know he’s of mixed race, but, you know, he’s like a Tiger Woods. He’s just a great person that’s really excited a lot of people. We’re not detecting a lot of discussion about his religion or his race here.”

Be sure to follow the comments at the Hotline post. Exit question: Mightn’t Bellavia been referring to the actual Tiger Woods? In a speech about role models and all?

Comments

“The real audacity of hope!” Good line right there.

SouthernGent on April 8, 2008 at 6:45 PM

OK, maybe there’s a point to this post, but it’s the proverbial needle in a haystack …

corona on April 8, 2008 at 6:51 PM

Did you follow the links? That’ll explain the whole thing.

Do you guys actually click the links? Ever?

Allahpundit on April 8, 2008 at 6:52 PM

Do you guys actually click the links? Ever?

Allahpundit on April 8, 2008 at 6:52 PM

I do. *suck up post*

SouthernGent on April 8, 2008 at 6:54 PM

McCain is to a Veteran,

as

Obama is to a yuppie sports star…

Comparison over…

upinak on April 8, 2008 at 6:57 PM

“Exit question: Mightn’t Bellavia been referring to the actual Tiger Woods? In a speech about role models and all?”

I watched the video before I read the post and I gotta say yeah. I thought he was talking about Woods.

lowandslow on April 8, 2008 at 7:01 PM

I clicked all the links, but don’t recognize the “Best. Headline. Evah.” Which was it?

I do think it was a mistake to try to make a negative reference to Tiger Woods. He’s got to have astronomical approval ratings. What’s not to like about him?

mikeyboss on April 8, 2008 at 7:03 PM

Did you follow the links? That’ll explain the whole thing.

Do you guys actually click the links? Ever?

Allahpundit on April 8, 2008 at 6:52 PM

Are you going to rip on all the commenter’s that maybe don’t understand your little word games and codes? What the hell’s the matter with you lately?

lowandslow on April 8, 2008 at 7:03 PM

In what context might he have been referring to the actual Tiger Woods? Was Woods mentioned at some point before, so that that reference might have made some sense?

DaveS on April 8, 2008 at 7:06 PM

Yeah, I do think he meant the real Tiger Woods. Very good intro overall, I think.

mikeyboss on April 8, 2008 at 7:06 PM

Certainly the Hoffa mention was positive, while Bellavia’s was, uh, not a trifle awkward.

FIFY, Jennifer Skalka. No “Gotcha” for you, hack.

RushBaby on April 8, 2008 at 7:07 PM

Did you follow the links? That’ll explain the whole thing.

Do you guys actually click the links? Ever?

Allahpundit on April 8, 2008 at 6:52 PM

No offense Buddy, honestly, but it’s often hard to tell which links to click to get the story versus the background. I had the same reaction and was about to skip the post entirely but checked the comments, as I sometime do, to get a hint at what this was all about….

TheBigOldDog on April 8, 2008 at 7:09 PM

mikeyboss on April 8, 2008 at 7:03 PM

It wasn’t a negative reference. It’s a positive comparison that could have benefited from an explanation. Analogous to a punchline without the setup.

RushBaby on April 8, 2008 at 7:11 PM

Do you guys actually click the links? Ever?

Allahpundit on April 8, 2008 at 6:52 PM

Links are like homework; you only do the work if there’s gonna be a test. Otherwise, you just skim over them, get an idea of what they’re about, and say, “Uh, I know that already.”

IrishEi on April 8, 2008 at 7:18 PM

Ahh… I see what you mean about the “actual Tiger Woods”. It was, at best, a very unfortunate choice for an example role-model, but it’s hard for me to buy that since he followed it with a reference to “Audacity of Hope”.

DaveS on April 8, 2008 at 7:20 PM

Oh. And my favorite posts are the ones where the links are already purple.

IrishEi on April 8, 2008 at 7:20 PM

Oh my God! And to think I thought Biden was the king of quips like this!

Pam on April 8, 2008 at 7:20 PM

Damn dude, some of you need to chill.

doubleplusundead on April 8, 2008 at 7:22 PM

Damn dude, some of you need to chill.
doubleplusundead on April 8, 2008 at 7:22 PM

They’re all riled up over the McCain thread.

SouthernDem on April 8, 2008 at 7:24 PM

RushBaby on April 8, 2008 at 7:11 PM

I thought he was implying that Woods is not an ideal role model. It’s hard to compare anything to McCain’s ordeal and decision to refuse early release, but Woods has a different life path, and I think has acquitted himself extremely well. I think choosing some fluffy pop star to contrast with McCain would have been less touchy.

mikeyboss on April 8, 2008 at 7:29 PM

Damn dude, some of you need to chill.

doubleplusundead on April 8, 2008 at 7:22 PM

I agree. HotAir is here for our pleasure. It’s actually work for Allah, Ed, and Michelle. I don’t mind clicking links to try and get Allah’s POV. Sometimes I do get it, sometimes I don’t.

SouthernGent on April 8, 2008 at 7:29 PM

mikeyboss on April 8, 2008 at 7:29 PM

Yeah, but… how many genuine, non-controversial, universal role-models can you think of? Woods is actually probably one of the better choices there, but is unfortunate in this case only because of the implication that comes when contrasting him (in any way) with McCain.

DaveS on April 8, 2008 at 7:34 PM

SouthernGent on April 8, 2008 at 7:29 PM

Which they get paid for via advertising.

upinak on April 8, 2008 at 7:34 PM

DaveS on April 8, 2008 at 7:34 PM

Good point.

mikeyboss on April 8, 2008 at 7:36 PM

Am I alone or are democrats of all stripes, not just lefty idiots, increasingly attacking those who serve/ed? Starting to look at lot like Vietnam in some sectors of the left.

At least they support the troops….

The Opinionator on April 8, 2008 at 7:38 PM

And guys, chill with the Allah link compaints… wth?

Let me go ahead and give you a cheat sheet:

Medal of Honor nomineeis about his MoH nomination.

“[lefties are] treading lightly on this one anyway” is an example of lefties treading lightly on this.

– “Thank the Teamsters, whose president found a timely analogy…” is a link to the timely analogy referenced in the title of the post, an analogy by which the “Left’s attempt to smear David Bellavia as racist [was] thwarted by Jimmy Hoffa’s son”

Not. That. Complicated.

DaveS on April 8, 2008 at 7:43 PM

mikeyboss on April 8, 2008 at 7:29 PM

The headline of AP’s post contains the key. Let me carry some of the Hotline piece over here (and add bold):

Bellavia is certainly not the first GOPer to connect the two men. In a piece about the Rev. Jeremiah Wright controversy, Politico reported last month that Republican media consultant Alex Castellanossaid Obama is no Woods. In other words, with the revelations about Wright’s most fiery of sermons, Obama looked less conciliatory, less jovial, less like a bridge builder.

“All the sudden you’ve got two dots, and two dots make a line,” said Castellanos. “You start getting some sense of who he is, and it’s not the Obama you thought. He’s not the Tiger Woods of politics.”

Unfortunately for the Obama team, who might’ve been able to make some hay of McCain’s intro, Teamsters prez James Hoffa mentioned Woods today on a call with reporters. When asked if PA voters — translation PA’s white working class voters — were concerned about Obama’s race, he said: “With regard to his race, he’s African American. I know he’s of mixed race, but, you know, he’s like a Tiger Woods. He’s just a great person that’s really excited a lot of people. We’re not detecting a lot of discussion about his religion or his race here.

So nobody smeared Tiger Woods. Not Bellavia, not Hoffa.

That’s why the headline reads,

Left’s attempt to smear David Bellavia as racist thwarted by Jimmy Hoffa’s son.

If I may be so presumptuous as to defend you, AP.

RushBaby on April 8, 2008 at 7:44 PM

If Tiger goes for the Grand Slam this year like they are talking, the comparisons to Obama’s ‘rise’ will be all over the place.

I think, but not certain, that Tiger is a Repub. so I wonder what he really thinks about obama.

jp on April 8, 2008 at 7:47 PM

I had the honor of meeting David Bellavia today at this rally and had him sign my book. Thank God for people like him and Marcus Luttrell who was there too.

Tony737 on April 8, 2008 at 7:50 PM

If you want to ask him yourself, I will give you David’s phone number.

But I already know because 1) I read his speech, 2) I was standing behind him and heard what he said, and 3) I talked to him afterwards at lunch. He was referring to Tiger Woods as an example of a contemporary hero to many children, and contrasted that with how his kids (he has 2 very young ones) would be taught the heroism of others like McCain.

This has more to do with David’s race for congress than it does the race of the people he mentioned.

E5infantry on April 8, 2008 at 7:59 PM

If you had been monitoring the National Heroes Tour you would know that David Bellavia often invokes the name Tiger Woods. At one stop which had a low turnout he commented that maybe if they some real heroes like Tiger Woods on the bus with them they could get bigger crowds. Another time he compared the real true living heroes on the bus to the type of people who Americans make into heroes like Tiger Woods.
So yes he was talking about the real Tiger Woods and probably in keeping along the same line of thought he has used previously was probably making an allusion that to a lot of people Tiger Woods is a hero but to the folks he associates with and to his kids guys like John McCain are the real heroes.

Just A Grunt on April 8, 2008 at 8:06 PM

How about we let David Bellavia do a guest post on Hot Air?

RushBaby on April 8, 2008 at 8:07 PM

This was predicted a year ago, on many posts, on this website. Any voice raised for a candidate other than B. Obama would be tagged as racist by Obama’s cult. Just goes to show how predictable the goofy left is.

DaveS on April 8, 2008 at 7:43 PM

Dave, Allah, gang, we are at that phase of the Moon called small waxing crescent. I think some here are still under the influence of the new moon. It seems some are still affected by the New Moon.

Zorro on April 8, 2008 at 8:12 PM

It seems some are still affected by the New Moon.

I should use the “preview” button more often!

Zorro on April 8, 2008 at 8:15 PM

After hearing David talk at a couple of the stops along the way one thing I have come to realize about the man is he has a great sense of humor. If he hears about this it won’t get him down but I sure wouldn’t want to be on the receiving of his cutting wit.
For all the videos of the National Heroes Tour just go to You Tube and type that in. Jim Hanson, Uncle Jimbo from Blackfive did a good job of recording the tour.
You owe it to yourself to see what these people have to say, whether it was speaking at the Goldwater Institute or in front of a bunch students at a VFW hall or retired veterans on the deck of an LST.
/Now if I could just find out what really went on that elementary school that they constantly allude to.

Just A Grunt on April 8, 2008 at 8:20 PM

DaveS – since you’re so busy kissing AP’s ass, could you attend to my left cheek too?
Zorro – wth are you talking about???

fabrexe on April 8, 2008 at 8:20 PM

AP, what are links?

aceinstall on April 8, 2008 at 8:21 PM

“If he hears about this it won’t get him down but I sure wouldn’t want to be on the receiving of his cutting wit.”

He showed it to me at 3pm. He knows, but he is doing media and then travelling home tonight. He just said that he best get used to such attacks.

E5infantry on April 8, 2008 at 8:22 PM

I’m so bummed I missed this.
Allah, I almost always read the quotes.
I think the Tiger Woods comparison was a bit awkward at most.

4shoes on April 8, 2008 at 9:24 PM

Yawn. The Obamites must be so thankful that Barack’s absentee daddy was african, thus infusing his son with african blood and all of the perceived rights (in their mind) to racial indignance even at the most convoluted opportunity like this one.

And by the way Obamites… Woods is only one quarter black… so perhaps Thai should be more incensed… LOL (he’s half-asian and only one-quarter black, one eighth white and one either american indian)

D2Boston on April 8, 2008 at 9:28 PM

One aspect of getting Tiger Woods to show up at your golf tournament is that the tickets sell three times faster if Woods is there, than if he’s not there, and it really doesn’t matter how Woods has been playing lately. They just want to see Tiger.

RBMN on April 8, 2008 at 10:09 PM

Who is Tiger Woods supporting?

AprilOrit on April 9, 2008 at 2:11 AM

Do you guys actually click the links? Ever?

Allahpundit on April 8, 2008 at 6:52 PM

Some of us who work behind firewalls are lucky enough to have this site unblocked…or at least go under the radar. A lot of the links go places where government computers fear to tread, so as a precaution I don’t click on links while I’m at work. Even if I preview the URL and it seems safe, I don’t want to draw undue attention to Hot Air and get it blocked.

If I’m totally mystified by the context, absolutely can’t just blow it off, and remember to do so, I’ll wait till I get home to click a link (usually the Dude-lines).

James on April 9, 2008 at 7:59 AM

I was at this rally, SSG Bellavia used the quote not as a statement on race, but on role models. I think at times we in the military don’t fully explain our thoughts because when you are surrounded by vets, like he was at this speech (more than 400) then we all know where he is coming from and can fill in the gaps. No explanation needed.

The quote refers to the fact that John McCain, whether you agree with his politics or not, has lived his life according to the same Honor Concept that he (and I) held so dear at USNA. Tiger, while apparently a good man, represents the ideal of athletic prowess. Which would you rather your sons hold dear: honor or athleticism? Which do they actually hold dear now?

jtkerch79 on April 9, 2008 at 7:59 AM

JTKerch said it better than I did, but no one there for a single second thought Bells was referring to Obama, or any other racial demagoguery.

E5infantry on April 9, 2008 at 8:28 AM

SSG Bellavia’s medal of honor story has to be read to be believed. WOW! It makes Rambo look like a choir boy by comparison…

madne0 on April 9, 2008 at 9:23 AM

Read his book. Best book I have read in years.

House to House: An Epic Memoir of War

E5infantry on April 9, 2008 at 10:06 AM

Wow. Just wow.

Bellavia is clearly saying “you’ve got your Tiger Woods” to mean “you’ve got your hot-shot black guy.” That’s plainly racist, the same as Bill Clinton saying Obama’s win in SC was just like Jesse Jackson’s.

Unless Bellavia clarifies that remark, the left is entirely within the rules to call him racist.

Enrique on April 9, 2008 at 11:33 AM