Civilization ends: Teens beat girl brutally and film it — to post on YouTube

posted at 7:33 pm on April 8, 2008 by Allahpundit

Via STACLU, I’m embedding the clip reluctantly since I goofed on O’Reilly last week for tut-tutting the sordid side of the Internet while happily airing the footage he claims to object to, and I don’t want to commit the same sin. The written reports simply don’t do this justice, though; you have to see it to disbelieve it. Evidently it was some sort of revenge attack exacted for gossiping about the suspects on MySpace. The toll? A concussion and damage to the girl’s left eye and ear, out of which she currently can’t hear. Each of the eight — eight — suspects are facing two felonies and three of them are facing a third. Try them as adults.

You just might be seeing this tomorrow night on MKH’s segment.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

30 minutes? After about 2 minutes of that crap I would have grabbed the nearest weaponlike object and begin defending myself… Geeze

Brad on April 8, 2008 at 10:36 PM

One of the first things that I noticed in the video was a broom behind the victim when she was near the front door. Pretty flimsy weapon, but it may have fended them off enough for her to get out.

Dr. Conservative on April 9, 2008 at 1:05 AM

Talk about responsibility. Jamiel Shaw Sr., father of murdered son Jamiel Jr., by an Illegal Alien Gangster in L.A., addressed the L.A. City Council today and NOT ONE COUNCIL member, Mayor, or Police Chief showed any support or sympathy for the family of the victim. NOT ONE of them had any decency to show ANY SUPPORT for the proposed Jamiel’s Law!!!! NOT ONE!!!!

DfDeportation on April 9, 2008 at 1:11 AM

The criminals’ violent death would serve as a warning to everyone who observed it. One of the seeming flaws of this present order is an aesthetic one, in the strict sense. It seems the trash would be brought up short and made more sober by the sight, every now and then, of a few splashes of bright, arterial red.

Kralizec on April 9, 2008 at 1:15 AM

Look at them, they are shameful.

AprilOrit on April 9, 2008 at 12:33 AM

Stephen Schumacher 18(this guy is obviously 18 and an adult)
Zachary Ashley 17
Brittini Hardcastle 17
Britney Mayes 17
Mercades Nichols 17
Cara Murphy 16

All Above should be tried as Adults, and have it on their record.
It will probably be a misdemeanor of some sort IF they have a previous clean record, they will probably get 2 years probation and 40-60 hours of community service.
———————
Kayla Hassell 15
April Cooper 14

these two should get the same punishment, probation and community service, however since they are under 16 probably just treat them as a juvenile and not have it on their permanent record.

Chakra Hammer on April 9, 2008 at 1:16 AM

Also, make them go to some type of counseling.. >:}

Chakra Hammer on April 9, 2008 at 1:36 AM

All of the teenagers were charged with felony battery and false imprisonment. In addition, Mayes, Hardcastle, and Nichols also are charged with felony kidnapping, because officials say they forced the victim into a vehicle and drove her to another location after the attack.

Ok, a revision to the above sentencing.. these 3 need harsher, punishment, beyond what i outlined above, for the kidnapping charges, obviously premeditated..

Chakra Hammer on April 9, 2008 at 1:48 AM

Brad on April 8, 2008 at 10:36 PM

I can understand that if you have a good upbringing you will not fight like these losers, however if in danger and getting the crap beat out of you, you would defend yourself or at least try to escape.

Or grab that broom or anything you can and start swinging.

AprilOrit on April 9, 2008 at 2:27 AM

What the f***? Talk about Mean Girls. This is worse than what’s in the film.

yeah, try them as adults.

mram on April 9, 2008 at 3:54 AM

Solid proof of Dr. Spock’s legacy.

I had a college professor who said that the number 1 cause of the increase of crime since the 1960′s was the invention of the safety razor.

…why? you ask? Well, you have to be old enough to remember that straight razors were commonly sharpened with a “razor strop,” a long piece of leather, which was also commonly used as a disciplinary device.

otcconan on April 9, 2008 at 4:07 AM

One other thing, and just my little experiences of how things have changed since, oh, 1984.

I was part of a popular crowd in junior high, and suddenly, they all turned on me, making jokes about me and demeaning me in front of everyone. I went home and cried. My dad said, “they lost a better friend than you did.” Next day, at my locker, one of them, who had been my best friend, said to me, “We decided we no longer want to be your friend.” And I replied, “That’s funny, I just decided I don’t want to be yours, either.”

When I was a freshman in high school. I’m a small guy, but back then, I was REALLY small…4’9″, in fact. Every day at lunch, I sat in the same place, across from my best friend. One day, this guy (I’ll call him Fred), was sitting in my seat. He was a 6’3″, 250 lb hirsute guy, my age, already a man compared to me. I didn’t really think much of it. I just sat down next to Fred and started eating my lunch.

And he started reaching over and taking my fries. I didn’t do anything about it for two days.

The next Friday, there was Fred, sitting in my seat, across from my best friend, no lunch in front of him. I figured, he wants my whole lunch. At this point, I must tell you that I’m 1/2 German, and I decided that I didn’t care how badly I got beat, this was going to end. I set my plate in front of him. He reached for my fries and I grabbed his wrist. “You’re sitting in my seat,” I said. And he looked at me and stood up. “Well, it’s my seat now.”

I said, in the most calm manner I could, “Fred, it’s your seat, when you beat the living crap out of me. And I reached down, took my tray, and poured its contents onto his chest (I couldn’t reach over his head…lol).

Thus began one of the most brutal beatdowns I’ve ever endured in my life. But I never gave in. I fought, hard. I took a couple punches to the ribs that bruised them, but I also managed to kick him where no man wishes, and it seemed like 30 minutes but it was probably 20 seconds before he had me in a headlock.

The teachers were quite a ways away, and my vision was going dim. I reached up and punched him weakly on the cheek and said, “you win this round.” He let me go. Not because I submitted, but because I had fought, and had let him know it was not over.

We never fought again. He became a good friend, and was my proxy when I was too shy to ask out my prom date.

You fight back with all you have. Never back down to bullies. Period.

otcconan on April 9, 2008 at 4:31 AM

I’d have started breaking stuff if I were that girl. You want to gang up on me like that? Well say good bye to that nice 60 inch tv. There was also a curio cabinet in the living room, lots of expensive china. That one b*tch would have found her thrown into it.

amkun on April 9, 2008 at 4:57 AM

otcconan on April 9, 2008 at 4:31 AM

Great story. Sounds like you are only a tad younger than I am. I was never popular, but I had my share of scraps, mostly trying to take up for my younger sister who had an uncanny ability for getting into trouble.

I think many may have similar stories. Bullying has been around a long time. This is different though. You look at pictures of these young derelects. Their faces are cold. Their eyes are empty. I look at them and I see Cho, Harris, Clebold… This incident may be isolated, but the souless monsters who perpetrated it, are not. You see them when you’re out in public. I see them, in the malls and so forth. The same empty, clueless faces. I walk by them in their goth outfits and trench coats and I wander which one has a shotgun stashed underneath. Call me paranoid, but my family and I have gotten to where we go out very little except for the occasional dinner.

I have my own opinions from a religious perspective, but it is apparent, we are in a cultural meltdown in this country and it will take some real leadership to get us back on track. Sadly, none is on the horizon.

labrat on April 9, 2008 at 5:27 AM

Every single person involved in this insane beating should be tried as an adult and locked up for the next ten years. Put them in a really rough prison where they can all fight to their hearts content……..against inmates who have punks like this for breakfast every single day they are behind bars.

pilamaye on April 9, 2008 at 7:11 AM

So would I, but what you have to understand, aside from the girls on the attack, these kids have been taught submission and appeasment since they were in pre-school. Why do you think so many were killed at VT? Nobody was taught to fight back. This is another fine example that appeasment and pacificism will get you killed. Dead you may be, but at least you wont be violent.

abcurtis on April 9, 2008 at 7:18 AM

My dad never laid a hand on me, but my mom had no problem whatsoever of cutting a switch off of the hedge behind the house or one off the willow tree. I may not have grown up perfect, but I’ve never been in trouble with the law, and I certainly never did anything like this.
And I had a drug problem too. Everytime the church doors were open Mom drug me to church. Some of it must have gotten through.

abcurtis on April 9, 2008 at 7:31 AM

abcurtis on April 9, 2008

You know,, you’re right. I watched this thinking,, why did this girl not fight back?? On the one hand though,, she’s looking around in the room and seeing 5-6 other people including one guy. It’s got to be like out of a horror movie. But, yes, this girl could have been killed.
In school, you cannot defend yourself from an attacker or you will be considered guilty as well. In our school system here, I was told be a teacher, they have to just take it or get in trouble as well. My kids are no longer in that school.

JellyToast on April 9, 2008 at 7:32 AM

WTF is wrong with kids now? I would have never thought to do that when I was in High School let alone College or now. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve been known to be scrappy, but to plan and do something like this isn’t being scrappy, it’s being a savage.

To attack people like this without mercy is evil…there isn’t any other way to put it.

The cop blaming the internet is stupid, it’s up to the parents to raise your kids with morals, shoving the blame off on the internet or the society is a cop out in my opinion. Raise your children with morals and values and hopefully they won’t do anything like this.

bentman78 on April 9, 2008 at 7:44 AM

@JellyToast
It’s sad they said that to you about your kid defending themselves. There are times pacifism will get you nowhere. Being surrounded may have been enough to frighten the girl into not defending herself and sometimes you have to pick your battles. I just don’t know why she didn’t fight harder to escape.

bentman78 on April 9, 2008 at 7:46 AM

AprilOrit on April 9, 2008 a

Also,, I have a 2nd degree black belt and a brown in Judo. My kids are in the martial arts as well. I have told them, it doesn’t matter how big someone is. If you are seriously attacked and in fear for your life,, everyone has a knee, a throat, at least one eye. Maybe you cannot match their strength muscle to muscle, but you have the strength to overcome their thumb, their wrist, their hand. And where the hand goes, the body will usually follow. When their adams apple is gone, it won’t matter how tall your attacker is or how much they weigh.
And also,, you don’t have to convince an attacker they will lose a fight if they attack you,,, you just need to make them understand it will cost them something.

JellyToast on April 9, 2008 at 7:47 AM

society encourages this type of behavior. it is a lack of morality and personal responsibility.
To those that say it is just normal behavior I respectfully disagree, but even if it is common does not make it morally right nor acceptable in civilized society.
every single one of the girls and boys involved should be charged as adults. As far as the parents the ones who owned the house where the beating occured should be sued.
The reason this type of behavior is getting more common is we as a society immediately blame everything but the perps for their actions. We all need to understand and teach the youths of this nation one simple rule “Choices have consequences” instead of “It is not my fault”

JKotthoff on April 9, 2008 at 8:48 AM

JellyToast said:

Yes it is like a horror movie – leaving you paralyzed, unable to comprehend what is happening even though you can see it with your own eyes – and feel it.

When I was in 8th grade – back in 1977 – 2 of my classmates (boys) tried to rape me. They cornered me outside the school’s cafeteria, which was also in the same hallway as the woodworking shop and the locker rooms. They took my books, put their hands down my shirt and said horrible things to me about what they wanted to do to me. The whole incident probably lasted less than 5 minutes, but at the time, and even now, it seems like it went on forever. The only reason they stopped is the rest of their classmates yelled that a teacher was coming.

That’s right – while they tried to do this to me, my entire class watched. Clearly I was not a popular kid and endured more than a fair share of bullying and abuse all thru school. I wasn’t pretty, but I wasn’t ugly either. I wasn’t fat, I wasn’t skinny. I was an average kid trying to get an education. For reasons I will never understand I was singled out as the scapegoat for everyone’s else’s insecurities and issues. The 8th grade incident was by far the worst thing I endured, but not by much.

The school’s reaction was to suspend the 2 boys for 10 days. That was it. Back then, there were no zero-tolerance policies. And even today this kind of bullying takes place all the time – policies or not.

One of my attackers came from a very troubled family; the other did not.

Family involvement is critical to help kids understand consequences. Indeed to make sure there ARE consequences. But for some kids – like this group of 8 – it’s clear not amount of parental guidance or influence is going to stop them. They are sick, twisted demented souls who should be locked up forever. The scars of bullying remain with you for a lifetime – I’m nearly 45 years old now and I still remember every moment of bullying and abuse.

KrisinNE on April 9, 2008 at 8:53 AM

I can’t even bring myself to watch.

Damn them. To Hell. Seriously.

Monsters is an apt descriptions. When did our society embrace cowardice? Once upon a time, if eight people ganged up one – they were ashamed of it later.

Monsters.

Hey, if you get footage of THEM being beaten and violated and humiliated for half an hour – post that. That I’ll watch. I’ll pop some popcorn and make some signs, maybe get one of those big foam fingers and a cheesehead hat … and enjoy every second.

This is part of why some of us want so badly to believe in a God, Allah. (No pun intended). Because we really want to believe that at some point, people get what they deserve, both good and bad.

Professor Blather on April 9, 2008 at 9:11 AM

One of the parents said, if you can believe it:
“She shouldn’t be talking on myspace if she can’t back it up.”

Horrific.

SouthernDem on April 8, 2008 at 7:49 PM

Please tell me you made that up. Please.

Professor Blather on April 9, 2008 at 9:13 AM

I was a small kid with glasses, I looked like Ernie on My Three Sons, but I had five big brothers with whom roughhousing in our rec room was tougher then anything a bully could do to me. Being small. I was often targeted by bullies, who didn’t know me, that almost always resulted in a bully getting the crap kicked out of him by a little kid. Back then there wasn’t any of this zero tolerance nonsense where if a kid fight backs they get in as much trouble as the bully. That’s why these things get out of hand. Good kids obey the rules and don’t fight back and these borderline psychos keep pushing the envelope until it gets out of hand or something tragic happens. There would be fewer bullies if there was common sense in the deans office.

peacenprosperity on April 9, 2008 at 9:14 AM

Please tell me you made that up. Please.

I heard that also. She doesn’t even have custody of her own child. A real piece of work.

peacenprosperity on April 9, 2008 at 9:14 AM

They are cute little girls, so they can’t be criminals.

Remember, only men (preferably white, Christian, heterosexual) are capable of violence.

Niko on April 9, 2008 at 9:19 AM

By the way, the verdict hath already been cast:

Polk Sheriff Grady Judd describes the attack and the video as “shocking”, saying, “I’ve never seen anything like it… this is outrageous behavior.”

Outrageous behavior. They will get a slap on the wrist, 2 weeks community work, and that’s about it.

Be prepared to meet 3 of the misbehaving teens again in season 8 of American Idol.

Niko on April 9, 2008 at 9:22 AM

So we’re endorsing the death penalty for felony battery and false imprisonment now?

SouthernDem on April 8, 2008 at 7:51 PM

I frankly don’t mind endorsing the death penalty for any act of irredeemable evil.

Part of the problem with the death penalty is that it is applied to criminals who will never repeat their crime … but vicious criminals who almost certainly will are released – because at least they didn’t murder.

From a societal view, it makes far more sense to execute serial rapists, child molesters, and any who gleefully brutalize their fellow citizens … then it does to execute a bank robber who got panicky and shot a guard. The bank robber is motivated by money – or maybe he’s made a stupid decision. The rapist … like these monsters … hurts just for the pleasure of hurting, and they WILL do it again.

The simple truth is that just as we’d do with rabid vicious dogs, these monsters – and they are monsters – probably should be put down.

During most of human history, they would have been.

I understand your reluctance to agree with the above. But when the inevitable happens, and one of these monsters does what monsters do in another year or five or ten … well, your reluctance may fade.

Damn them.

Professor Blather on April 9, 2008 at 9:25 AM

If I was the victim, I would find something, anything, and starts swinging at all of these nappy headed hos. So much video is out there of ghetto trash girls beating on each other, it’s sickening.

The victim’s dad had it right, too, about who he blames this on.

Grafted on April 9, 2008 at 9:38 AM

Fight back . . . sounds great!
However, 6 to 1 in the house with 2 people standing guard outside makes any possibility of escape pretty unlikely. I can’t say what I would do, and I am not sure that any of you should either. Can you imagine the possible escalation of violence had she fought back. She got this for words on the internet. What would they have done when she knocked out some girl’s tooth with a broom stick?

Civil suit . . . oh yeah, they should definitely pursure that. With that video, a jury would probably give her millions. I’d represent them for free, but they’d probably be better off with Florida’s version of John Edwards. The other plus to a civil suit is that it would be more likely stay on the agressors permanent records in the event they are tried as juveniles.

infidel2 on April 9, 2008 at 9:38 AM

Professor Blather on April 9, 2008 at 9:25 AM

First, I’ll tell you that, for the most part, I’m against the death penalty.
But, honestly, though what these girls and two guys did was horrendous and should be fully punished, what kind of society are we when we begin advocating death for 14 and 16 year olds on their first offense?
These children, still children despite their vicious behavior, have been failed by their parents and others that are responsible for their molding. Certainly they are old enough to be responsible for their actions, but they are also young enough to also deserve a second chance.

SouthernDem on April 9, 2008 at 9:40 AM

Don’t look if you are easily offended by white trash, but wow.

DaveS on April 8, 2008 at 8:48 PM

Thanks, Dave. Seeing their mugshots made me happy.

Not sure if the MySpace is real or not; hard to believe it is, but then again for these scumbags it wouldn’t surprise me. If its a parody site, its pretty good.

But the mugshots are priceless. Those Queens of Loserhood were made to wear prison orange.

Professor Blather on April 9, 2008 at 9:42 AM

This is part of why some of us want so badly to believe in a God. Because we really want to believe that at some point, people get what they deserve, both good and bad.
Professor Blather on April 9, 2008 at 9:11 AM

I’d have to say that I hope, per my belief in God, that these kids will be brought on to the proper path to salvation.

SouthernDem on April 9, 2008 at 9:44 AM

Sure. After 20 years in the brig. Solitary confinement.

Niko on April 9, 2008 at 9:48 AM

First, I’ll tell you that, for the most part, I’m against the death penalty.

SouthernDem on April 9, 2008 at 9:40 AM

Ironically, for the most part – I’m against the death penalty, too. Primarily because I see it from a conservative perspective: I don’t truth the government to get it right.

Not to mention the fact that its applied arbitrarily, that its applied disproportionately by race and class, etc.

HOWEVER: if we’re going to have it, I’d frankly rather see it used to eliminate the bad seeds who will spend lifetimes doing evil, then executing the people who made one bad mistake that ended up killing someone.

Obviously I’m arguing emotion rather than reason at the moment, and obviously you’re right to suggest that maybe we be a little careful about executing 14 year olds.

But it bothers enormously that we execute people that we can know almost with certainty will never hurt a fly for the rest of their lives … and punish relatively lightly those who will likely be a source of evil for 50 years.

These girls are evil. They will do evil again. It could be stopped right now. Remember Channon Christian and Christopher Newsome?

When these girls do something like that in 10 years – and they will – what do we tell the victims families?

I dunno. I just hope they get some sort of real punishment. Of course, the problem with sending them to prison is they’ll come out even more evil.

How’s this – I’ll just hope they all die of natural causes. Soon. Preferably painful natural causes.

Professor Blather on April 9, 2008 at 9:49 AM

SouthernDem on April 9, 2008 at 9:44 AM

They have to repent first. Sincerely repent.

If you think that’s going to happen, I have this shiny new bridge to sell you.

I have no doubt that they’ll be doing lots of Bible reading in prison and claiming to have found Jesus. Jail house conversions were a cliche centuries ago. But sincerity?

God knows sincerity. Let Him sort it out. I still want them gone from my planet.

Professor Blather on April 9, 2008 at 9:53 AM

You fight back with all you have. Never back down to bullies. Period.

otcconan on April 9, 2008 at 4:31 AM

Hell of a story. That was the lesson my father taught to me for years. I took my lumps at the Catholic school across from where I lived (where not only was I the only non-baptized kid, but I was pretty much the only one without a trust fund, added to the fact that I skipped a grade). Unfortunately, I never really fought back because when I did, their friends would usually claim I was picking on them.

High school comes, I figure it might end. It didn’t. However, in my freshman year, one of the school’s biggest athletes(and most arrogant one) decided to mess with me in from of some of his friends who knew me. After suddenly putting me in a headlock and knocking my glasses off, he disappeared. A couple of people pointed around the corner, where he rushed me. Sadly for him, I used his momentum to grab him and throw him up against the wall. He pushed me back against the opposing wall, so I whipped him around and slammed him up against the lockers. When I saw this guy, with a full foot in height on me, actually look at me with fear, it just strengthened me.

He actually warned me a teacher was coming, but I thought he was bluffing and just lay into him. Then I felt the hand of the law on my shoulder, and that ended that. Fortunately, it was the assistant principal(normal guy), and not the actual principal(delinquent daughter, and took out his frustration on other students), who summed up the situation. I never had problems after that, and people who knew him tended to be a lot friendlier to me from then on.

As for the video, she should have grabbed the first metal object she could find and strike to wound. I hope every one of those cowardly little piles of pus gets the clink, particularly the guys. You know what will happen to them.

MadisonConservative on April 9, 2008 at 9:55 AM

You’re right. Can we flog them to bacon? Pretty please?

dhimwit on April 9, 2008 at 9:58 AM

I remember getting into a fight at school. I was at assembly in the gym and 6 girls ganged up and one called me a bitch.
I thought…hmmm 6 against 1…not good odds so I waited until the next day and caught the one who called me the name and beat the living crap out of her.
It took two boys and a teacher to pull me off of her.
After that, those 6 parted like the red sea when I walked down the hall at school. I never had to fight again.

ArmyAunt on April 9, 2008 at 9:58 AM

You’re right. Can we flog them to bacon? Pretty please?

dhimwit on April 9, 2008 at 9:58 AM

Actually, I’d rather go with an eye for an eye: hire some punks to beat the crap out of each one, give each one a concussion, leave each one blind in one eye and partially deaf.

And then show the videos of it on prime time.

Maybe they’d learn some empathy.

I’m frankly jealous of the attorney the victim’s parents hire. He’s really going to enjoy his work.

Professor Blather on April 9, 2008 at 10:01 AM

Professor Blather on April 9, 2008 at 9:49 AM

Agreed.
Youth culture these days I find sickening. I’ve got an 8 year old boy and even now, with him in second fricking grade, I find I have to shield him from things I wouldn’t have imagined seeing when I was that age (I have to block shows on Nickelodeon, for Christ’s sake). He had, I emphasize the past tense, a friend whose parents let him play God of War and watch Family guy (both of which, at 34, I enjoy). Of course, this kid gets in trouble constantly at school for the way he talks.
These days, many parents are either completely absent or so lacking in moral judgment that it’s no wonder our youth are growing up like this.

SouthernDem on April 9, 2008 at 10:04 AM

SouthernDem on April 9, 2008 at 10:04 AM

I’m honestly no joking scared to have kids. I really am.

Professor Blather on April 9, 2008 at 10:10 AM

Could do that. But it’s better that society do it, publicly and with due ceremony. The pageantry is almost as important educationally as the pain.

dhimwit on April 9, 2008 at 10:14 AM

I’m honestly no joking scared to have kids. I really am.

Professor Blather on April 9, 2008 at 10:10 AM

Me too. I’m 36, my girlfriend is 34, we will get married but she really wants kids and keeps pressuring me.
I’m scared becuase of things like this, our culture and uncertain future. Then again, having a little me running around might be kinda cool.

Geronimo on April 9, 2008 at 10:18 AM

You guys are funny. I grew up in the inner city and this sort of thing happened pretty frequently and usually with a lot more blood. If these girls get a harsh punishment it’s only because of the publicity it received.

TheBigOldDog on April 8, 2008 at 8:29 PM

There are a few things at play here. For one, this isn’t a video of inner city kids who are accustomed to fights like these. This story has the same appeal of Columbine. Violence was introduced into a society that wasn’t prepared for it.

Second, the thing here that is so outrageous is the girls’ attitudes about it, especially considering what I wrote above. These aren’t hardened inner city girls. These are cheerleaders who thought they could go back to life as normal.

And last, I’ve seen several fights posted on the Internet and even many that only included girls. What bothered me most about this one was how she didn’t want to fight back.

Maybe it’s because she was knocked out cold right away. I don’t know. But seeing her just cover her face like that makes it seem truly brutal.

But otherwise, yeah, this isn’t exactly news. My husband was beaten by a small gang of guys. It was two nights before our wedding, and he was out with his best man.

Esthier on April 9, 2008 at 10:24 AM

Hot Wheels race track is the ultimate parental discipline tool. A cruel irony for a kid that their toy could be used as a weapon against them. My 3 brothers and I made sure we’d always put the Hot Wheels gear away after playing so it wasn’t readily accessible to our mother.

CaptainTed on April 9, 2008 at 10:25 AM

I’m honestly no joking scared to have kids. I really am.
Professor Blather on April 9, 2008 at 10:10 AM

It’s not that hard when your moral compass isn’t completely screwed and you actually, y’know, pay attention to them.
My son wants to be a Marine when he grows up, so I feel I’m doing something right.
And no, he doesn’t tolerate bullies.

SouthernDem on April 9, 2008 at 10:30 AM

You should have seen the Boston public schools during forced busing in the 70s. Everyday was like being in combat… that’s what happens when the government pits poor black people against poor white people against their will…

TheBigOldDog on April 8, 2008 at 9:36 PM

Boston – I am impressed you are still alive. Yikes! Only thing worse in the 70s was Philly, IMHO. These loser girls would gotten some good whoopings back in those days. ;D

Branch Rickey on April 9, 2008 at 10:34 AM

The thugs need to do jail time. I’d say 6 months minimum and it needs to stay on their records. For my money this rises way about juvenile prank crap that would see them get only community service. They planned this, posted lookouts so they wouldn’t be disturbed and then beat her savagely for 30 minutes, not letting her leave when she tried to escape.

This victim will have lifelong consequences due to this, and so should the perpetrators. They need to be marked as felons.

Defense Guy on April 9, 2008 at 10:45 AM

Recalls the Sarah Kreager incident.

Terp Mole on April 9, 2008 at 11:16 AM

Hot Wheels race track is the ultimate parental discipline tool.
CaptainTed on April 9, 2008 at 10:25 AM

My husband says the same. At my house, it was “Go get me something to hit you with,” and it was understood that meant a wide, black leather belt. Bring a lesser instrument and get twice as many smacks!

In spite of this “torture” my brother and I are well-adjusted, law abiding taxpayers today. Go figure.

Laura on April 9, 2008 at 11:21 AM

They just proved that whatever trash she talked behind their backs to “bring this on” – is true. What pieces of White Trash!!!

foxforce91 on April 9, 2008 at 11:45 AM

From the Orlando Sentinel,

“The trouble began when Tori went into a bedroom and April Cooper, 14, began to insult and threaten her, then hit her in the face several times and slammed her head into a wall, knocking her unconscious, a sheriff’s report states. When Tori awoke, she was on the living-room couch surrounded by six girls who took turns hitting and kicking her while the beating was videotaped, records show.”

That might exaplin why she wasn’t fighting back if she had already been knocked unconscious.

Also the article says that the victim wasn’t living at home because of problems with her family and was staying at the house of one of the abusers, Mercades Nichols (the loser parents couldn’t even spell the name Mercedes right).

Sensible Mom on April 9, 2008 at 12:11 PM

There are VERY few things that really upset me, this did.

If I were this poor girls brother, I would make all of the others lives a living hell.

If I was brother to any one of the girls actually abusing this other girl, I’d post a video of me taking a shit on her head…and not in a sexy way either.

If I was father to one of these girls, well, I wouldn’t be, because no way in hell my child would be caught up in something like this.

beefytee on April 9, 2008 at 12:22 PM

I couldn’t watch or listen to the whole thing, it made me physically ill.
Having said that, I’m surprised that this was said: “Try them as adults.” I thought that The Law must be adhered to in all cases! But, I agree, throw the book at them! However, I have to point out that they AREN’T adults, but I assume it depends on the local judicial system wherever they sue. I guess we all have our nuanced viewpoints on the law ;-).
My dream outcome would be for everyone involved to be punished as harshly as the law allows and if the parents had any knowledge of this they should be prosecuted as well.

I don’t have much faith in the judicial system but these punk-chicks will get what’s coming to them. I must admit that the Avenger in me would like some time alone with the evil wench who was punching the victim in the face. I’d like to ask her some questions.
Thanks for giving me the opportunity to see this horrific video. It made me decide to at least get a video tape on self-defense techniques for my daughter, she already knows to stay away from the mean girls that are so prevalent in her schools, (all schools). I won’t start in on that…

Christine on April 9, 2008 at 1:20 PM

Whoever Krisin is, my condolences to you.

As for this video, it makes me sad to know that other kids suffered this way but I’m surprised to see how shocked some of you are over the events. Things like this happened to me in school, did similar incidents not happen when you people were kids?

Typhonsentra on April 9, 2008 at 1:34 PM

Typhonsentra on April 9, 2008 at 1:34 PM

6 on 1, beat unconscious, then beat some more? No.
There was a some semblance of honor when I was a kid. one on one, no weapons and you live to fight again.
Kids today are de-sensatized and just downright evil.
Not all or them, of course.
I really think this is what happens when kids have kids. Parents trying to be a friend rather than a parent.

Geronimo on April 9, 2008 at 1:41 PM

I guess I am having a hard time, not only with what these idiots did, but with SOME of the folks posting here about how they physically beat someone up because they were called a name!

People actually think its okay to beat another person up because that person called them a b*tch? What in the heck is wrong with you people? Haven’t you ever heard the old saying that “sticks and stones may break my bones, but WORDS will never hurt me?” That old saw is absolutely true!

Its just “WORDS”, its just a “NAME”, it has absolutely no power to hurt you at all unless you let it!

Fighting back against bullies who physically attack you – absolutely! Fight back when jumped by a group of people – YES! Learn self-defense, teach your kids to fight back against physical violence, teach them to defend others who are physically attacked – All things I would heartily support. (And to heck with the schools who would punish those who fight back, I wouldn’t want my kids in schools like that anyway!)

BUT, beat the heck out of someone for calling you a name, or spreading a rumor about you, or posting something you didn’t like??? If you really can’t control yourself, and absolutely must strike back somehow, then call them names, spread rumors about them, post derogatory things about them, but setting out to respond by causing bodily harm, how is that justified?

Those of you advocating such things sound just like those islamists who react with physical violence because someone “insulted” them, or their religion, or their prophet, etc. (And I’ve actually been on the receiving end of just such physical violence in reaction to a “perceived” insult of their precious prophet)

I’ve been jumped by a group if a-holes in high school simply because I was in “their” town (for a swim meet) and had to fight back. I’ve had to jump in and pull bigger kids off my little brother, (which ended up with me getting hit over the head with a 2×4) and fighting back physically. So, yes I’ve been there and there are times when it is appropriate to react with physical violence, but I never stalked someone and “taught them a lesson” because they called me a name or said something “mean” about me. Sheesh!

Instead of teaching our kids that the “words” of another person have no power over them unless they allow it, instead of teaching them that outrage and physcial attack is NOT a proper response to being “insulted”, we teach them that they’ve been “dissed” and MUST set it right by beating the crap out of the idiot, we teach them to physically “silence” those they disagee with – and then we wonder why we are raising a generation of animals like these kids?

Fatal on April 9, 2008 at 2:04 PM

Should be tried as adults. These are not ‘children’ but pre-adults – most are over 17. They should be tried for aggravated assault as a felony and spend some time in adult jail.

This isn’t a ‘school prank’ but worse of a pack of animals casting out one of their own – except animals would stop when the outcast attempted to leave.

CrazyFool on April 9, 2008 at 3:09 PM

leftnomore on April 9, 2008 at 3:44 PM

And here are Darwin’s Daughters. You smart-smart evolutionists have groomed your perfect generation! Young, e-savvy, free of Christianist indoctrination. Enjoy your remaining time on planet Earth.-leftnomore

Best post of the day.

MechEng5by5 on April 9, 2008 at 4:34 PM

How many times do you think these girls have been spanked?

corona on April 9, 2008 at 4:57 PM

That was almost as “charming” as these girls’ behavior. Almost.

baldilocks on April 9, 2008 at 12:47 AM

Fishnet Stockings,

“Charming” fits my image of you perfectly.

revolution on April 9, 2008 at 5:25 PM

How many times do you think these girls have been spanked?

corona on April 9, 2008 at 4:57 PM

Not enough, probably never.

Buford on April 9, 2008 at 5:30 PM

Fatal on April 9, 2008 at 2:04 PM

Well said. I’m also puzzled by the words of some in this thread. But I guess internet machismo cannot be contained. Responding to verbal taunts or immature rumor-mongering with this level of sadism and violence is utterly beyond the pale. Anyone who says otherwise needs to have their head checked.

Grayson on April 9, 2008 at 6:51 PM

Geronimo on April 9, 2008 at 10:18 AM

I understand how you feel, the culture is melting down. But, don’t let things like this prevent you from having kids. Have many, they are the greatest blessing you will ever know on this earth.

But, make the sacrifices necessary to educate them at home. You will not regret it. You will hear from others that they need the “social skills” of a public education. Well, “social skills” = “peer pressure” in my book.

Children without guidance, left to their own devices are inherently evil. That is what we are witnessing here. These are the products of Generation X, and, you are right, they are trying so hard to be friends with their kids, that they don’t have time to be parents and this is what you end up with.

labrat on April 9, 2008 at 7:39 PM

They should be tried as adults, and be forced to spend some serious jail time with other girls who would love nothing more than to beat them to a bloody pulp. Perhaps the experience will teach the aggressors a little something about compassion.

However, because they are minors, the victim’s parents should also sue the “parents” of each of the little she-thugs for every worthless penny they own.

If, as a society, we start making the parents more accountable for the actions of their kids we might be able to encourage more parents to start… gee, I don’t know… parenting again.

greekinfidel on April 9, 2008 at 7:59 PM

leftnomore on April 9, 2008 at 3:44 PM

Well said!

greekinfidel on April 9, 2008 at 8:03 PM

I’ve been saying this since the 1980s: we’re actually TRAINING our kids to behave like this.

All the moral content has been drained out of the schools, the TV programs, and the music. We sit the kids in front of senseless, stupid, sex-laced movies and violent video games, where they rehearse committing violent or illegal acts in a manner that very definitely does influence their development. We then fill them full of so much sugar that they can’t think or sit still, so they can’t hear our instructions, and all our efforts are directed just to keep them from bouncing off the walls. Advertising for kids is all sex and rock music, no virtue. They live in a sea of messages that say sex, rock, drugs, violence, you, you, you.

Where, in all of this, do they hear even a single instance of “thou shalt not kill,” or “do to others as you would have them do to you?” A huge percentage of America’s kids have never heard such a thing EVEN ONCE.

By the time they reach the teen years, they’ve seen tens of thousands of acts of sex and violence, and not heard a single positive maxim of any kind.

How, exactly, do we expect such kids to behave WELL?

It takes consistent effort to train a child. It takes a consistent stream of positive messages explaining what’s expected in clear, unvarying terms. It takes consistent discipline enforcing consistent rules. Notice how many times I’ve used the word “consistent” in this paragraph. Give a kid the right messages, be consistent about it, and love the kid, and you have a good chance — not a 100% chance, kids can choose wrong even if you raise them right, but a good chance — of raising a good kid.

I’ve raised four, and they’re all decent, thoughtful adults; but they have to live in the same world as those ruined remnants of human beings we saw in that video, and there are millions more just like them. We’ve trained them, and now we’re having to live with them.

Welcome to the Age of Aquarius. Peaceful, isn’t it?

(Unrelated to this topic, please visit my political blog, “Plumb Bob Blog: Squaring the Culture,” at http://www.plumbbobblog.com. Thanks.)

philwynk on April 9, 2008 at 8:14 PM

Fatal wrote at 2:04 PM:

That old saw is as false as the day is long, and you’re a dangerous fool.

Nothing hurts a human being worse than rejection, and if you don’t realize it, I’ll bet your emotions are so frozen that your wife can’t even talk to you.

I was a little, skinny, sensitive kid who could be made to cry easily, and everybody I knew took advantage by provoking me. I spent my entire damn childhood reciting “sticks and stones” and trying to convince myself that the vicious verbal abuse I received on an almost weekly basis from my “friends” didn’t mean anything. And then, I spent roughly 20 years of my adulthood breaking the addictions and healing the emotional damage.

Know when the taunting stopped? When FINALLY, after TEN GOD DAMNED YEARS of being called every name you can imagine and some you can’t, I finally tried, just once, to beat the living crap out of a kid who lit into me. It took exactly ONCE, and the hell was over. I didn’t even have to win. Heck, I didn’t even have to fight all that well; it was a lousy fight, and we didn’t even scratch each other. But nobody said a word to me after I stood up for myself.

Whoever taught you “sticks and stones,” taught you a LIE, and left you with a maxim that pretends human beings are something other than what they are. People need to stand up for themselves, and others respect them for it.

philwynk on April 9, 2008 at 8:24 PM

Recalls the Sarah Kreager incident.

Terp Mole on April 9, 2008 at 11:16 AM

Jesus.

I’m buying a gun. Carrying the gun. And using it if necessary.

Professor Blather on April 9, 2008 at 8:25 PM

I’m still trying to find out what the poor girl said about/to them to warrant such a brutal display of savage behavior….I sincerely doubt it was enough to trigger any of us, but I would like to know what triggered them.

Vntnrse on April 9, 2008 at 9:13 PM

True parents now days never think their little “precious” did anything wrong. But kids do wrong things at times.
And you really have to keep an eye on them during the teenage years. I had two words for my sons to remember if they ever got in trouble “Military School”. My second son tested me on this and he went to military school. He is a fine young man today. In fact he is a Sheriff’s Deputy.
It is hard work being a parent. But the rewards are great.
As far these thugs on the video….in jail they would just sit around and what not. Military School. Works wonders.

Suz on April 9, 2008 at 9:53 PM

leftnomore on April 9, 2008 at 3:44 PM

Bravo!!!

labrat on April 9, 2008 at 10:55 PM

philwynk on April 9, 2008 at 8:24 PM

Got a few issues there, Sparky?

Once you get over whatever bizarre demons still haunt you, maybe you’ll get the poster’s actual point: that just because somebody calls you names doesn’t mean you and 5 of your friends should beat them almost to death.

After you figure out the point, get some therapy. Seriously. Yikes.

Professor Blather on April 9, 2008 at 11:27 PM

I’m honestly no joking scared to have kids. I really am.

Professor Blather on April 9, 2008 at 10:10 AM

Dr. Conservative on April 9, 2008 at 11:31 PM

I couldn’t bring myself to even watch the video having two kids who themselves have been bullied and harrassed, though not as harshly as this.

My daughter was quite overweight for a couple of years when she was younger and was teased and made fun of frequently. Her teachers knew about it but were very dismissive of it.

My son, a tall, thin braniac with glasses, was bullied and pushed around a lot in elementary school. I never understood how much until I received a call from the school about a grade level meeting with all the students, teachers and principal over a lunch room incident that was reported by the lunchroom moms because they felt so sorry for my son. The ironic thing is that this occurred not long after a weeks-long, school-wide “anti-bullying” program brought to the school by the one gay teacher (because gay kids are the only ones who get bullied, right?). He had never said much because he was told by his teachers that he would be in trouble if he fought back and felt mostly helpless to do anything about it. After this incident, his dad and I told him to go ahead and fight back for all he’s worth, knowing full well that he would end up in the principal’s office, because we would be behind him all the way. We had to point out to him that his not being permitted to fight back had actually allowed the situation to get out of hand. The teachers were so blinded by their PC worries that it took the volunteer moms who work in the lunch room to open their eyes to reality. Our stand-for-nothing, allow-everything culture is tailor-made for producing bullies and I, for one, am focusing on teaching my son to actually stand up for something valuable, himself.

inmypajamas on April 10, 2008 at 12:53 AM

√ At this point, I must tell you that I’m 1/2 German, and I decided that I didn’t care how badly I got beat, this was going to end. otcconan on April 9, 2008 at 4:31 AM

I resemble that remark…but seriously. The mugshots didn’t help the “Lakeland 8!” ahahahahaha

Branch Rickey on April 10, 2008 at 2:26 AM

The only thing about fighting back by damaging stuff, like the china cabinet or tv, is because in today’s society and with our legal system, the parents of the victim would have been sued for the damage. The video tapes would probably all have mysteriously disappeared, and the victim would have been blamed for coming over and breaking things. They would have explained the beating as the only way they could stop her from doing more damage. No, not fantasy, but most likely how things would have come out in the end.

Yes, this world sucks sometimes, but a hot wheels track, or a leather belt applied in moderation, or even your good ol’ hand on the butt when you misbehave can do a lot of good. My mother always gave me a warning, telling me if I continued to do something bad, I would be punished. If I did the crime, I received the punishment. She always said “this hurts me more than it will you”, and for a long time I thought she meant it hurt her hand to spank me. I learned many years later, that it tore her heart apart to have to discipline me. The last thing a parent wants is to see their child in pain or crying, especially knowing they caused the hurt, but she always did it out of love. I have to thank my mom, she showed me that there are consequences to my actions. She showed me there is a right from wrong, and she taught me how to defend myself, and others who couldn’t defend themselves. To this day it still boggles my mind how she raised two boys; one, now, a very hardworking state attorney general, and myself, an engineer. Her’s was the last generation, I think, that was worth a damn. Can’t say much about mine or the younger ones. She has taught me well, I hope I can do the same when I have children.

Too bad the parents of these girls failed to learn that lesson, and failed to teach it to their children. Just give them all a big “time out” – 5 to 10 years should be enough!

saukeye on April 10, 2008 at 8:03 AM

labrat on April 9, 2008 at 7:39 PM

Thanks Labrat, I plan to have children AND raise them right. I know it’s all about the upbringing. I think the fact that I am so nervous about it says I will definitely take it very seriously and guide them right.
My girlfriend has an adopted daughter who is 13 and an honor student and we are so proud of her. She is 13 though and I just have to shake my head at some of the choices she makes. Nothing too serious like this story but it just makes you scratch your head sometimes, you know?
Anyway, thanks for the encouragement.

Geronimo on April 10, 2008 at 9:54 AM

Whoever Krisin is, my condolences to you….

Typhonsentra on April 9, 2008 at 1:34 PM

Thank you.

Got a few issues there, Sparky?

Once you get over whatever bizarre demons still haunt you…After you figure out the point, get some therapy. Seriously. Yikes.

Professor Blather on April 9, 2008 at 11:27 PM

ProfBlather: clearly you were never bullied and abused by your classmates – your peers. It takes years to get past it and it does stay with you, no matter how much therapy you go thru. At the ages bullying usually takes place, it’s a time when you are finding out who you are in relation to your place in the world. Imagine being called every name in the book, all day everyday. Imagine having the experiences I related earlier in this thread.

Bullying informs everything about you in that timeframe; it affects how you relate to people, how you respond in relationships. It’s a trust issue with a betrayal at a very early age.

It’s not just some “bizarre demon”; it’s real and its effects are long-lasting. Some people can get beyond them and prove that living well is the best revenge; that’s what I did. Not everyone can do that, is all I’m saying.

KrisinNE on April 10, 2008 at 12:02 PM

philwynk on April 9, 2008 at 8:24 PM

So, if I were to accept your blathering, I would be deeply wounded by this:

. . . you’re a dangerous fool.

And, to overcome those deeply hurt feelings, what I really need to do is seek you out and kick the crap out of you, right?

Now, who’s really the “dangerous fool”, the one advocating for violence because they internalized every little perceived insult, or the one who says that YOU have the power to either assign truth to those insults thereby hurting yourself, or to reject the “truth” of those insults and get on with your life?

Funny thing is, I was skinny, small, picked-on, extremely emotional, easily made to cry, etc, and yet I didn’t have to spend “20 years of my adulthood breaking the addictions and healing the emotional damage.” because I actually learned that WORDS CANNOT HURT ME UNLESS I LET THEM!

I am sorry you didn’t learn that simply truth and let the words of other little kids control your life, but now you act just like they did, lashing out with pitiful little insults. Fortunately, I’ll just consider the source of those words and ignore them as coming from someone who revels in being a victim, something I decline to do.

Fatal on April 10, 2008 at 3:00 PM

Geronimo on April 9, 2008 at 10:18 AM

Yeah, my 11 year old son is a challenge sometimes too (I’m sure I was an angel at 11). God bless you and your future wife.

labrat on April 10, 2008 at 3:27 PM