Video: MTV’s Holocaust PSAs

posted at 12:45 pm on April 7, 2008 by Allahpundit

Another foray into Holocaust revisionism by way of likening the Patriot Act to nascent genocide? CJ’s 100% sure, I’m only about 75% of the way there. The Think MTV website has a page on the Holocaust and discrimination, and the only modern example to which it refers is Darfur. This may simply be their way of putting kids in the shoes of modern-day victims of persecution by placing it in a familiar cultural setting. Or maybe it’s a commentary on the Bushitler. Like HuffPo says, “being ambiguous has its benefits — you don’t have to be held accountable for anything, because there’s always another angle you can claim when confronted.”

Honestly? If my belly wasn’t so full of the left’s nonsense in this vein over the past six years, if it was produced not by MTV but as some sort of video greeting for the Holocaust Museum in D.C., I’d think it was effective.

Comments

Somebody needs to put the right music behind this for fun:

Speak English or Die” by the Stormtroopers of Death.

profitsbeard on April 7, 2008 at 7:49 PM

Rick on April 7, 2008 at 12:53 PM

MTV never “just showed” music videos. Your nostalgia is sickening.

Nonfactor on April 7, 2008 at 8:28 PM

I don’t see anything nefarious. I think they’re good ads.

p0s3r on April 7, 2008 at 8:37 PM

Yes, and if I were making those ads, when the doors opened, there would be the Muttawa standing there ready to take women to jail for not covering up and gay men straight to the gallows.

Kafir on April 7, 2008 at 8:59 PM

I think Allah’s theory may be right, and they’re just trying to give young people some historical perspective. The sight of the M-16’s set off alarm bells for me, but I think they would have gone to more trouble to show kevlars, NVGs, and other instantly recognizable signs of American soldiery if they intended those to be “Bush’s stormtroopers.”

I visited the site, and it’s pretty standard youth activist stuff, which makes me wonder why the commercial was so dramatic. Just to galvanize people into visiting, I suppose. At least it’s not Holocaust denial or resentment, as seems to be in vogue more and more.

joewm315 on April 7, 2008 at 9:10 PM

Rick on April 7, 2008 at 12:53 PM
MTV never “just showed” music videos. Your nostalgia is sickening.

Nonfactor on April 7, 2008 at 8:28 PM

When MTV first went on the air in 1980, and for several years afterward, the only programming 24/7 was music videos and brief 15-30 second music-related news clips by Kurt Loder (probably misspelled his name). Just VJs and music videos. Nothing like it is now.

I was there and saw and heard it with my own eyes and ears.

Your ignorance is insulting.

techno_barbarian on April 7, 2008 at 9:18 PM

Pure garbage…Our young people don’t need more obtuse drama floating around in their heads. They need to hit the ground running working on education and job skills. The only holocaust they face will be an economic one as jobs continue to move overseas. Nearly two billion chinese and indians want their piece of the global economic pie. It doesn’t have to be a zero sum game for a rising economic tide will float all boats but this generation need to prepare themselves for the jobs of the future, now. Get off the couch, put away the video games, the ipods, the dope and anti-depressants and get in the game…

Nozzle on April 7, 2008 at 9:25 PM

CACHEFLY IS LOADING THE INCORRECT CSS FOR THIS SITE.

I AM SEEING MOBILE CSS FOR FIREFOX 2.0

faraway on April 7, 2008 at 9:27 PM

OK, I’m going to put on my best neutral cap here:

I can’t rule out that there’s something else going on here, it IS MTV we’re talking about after all and we all know where THEY stand, but, and this is a pretty big but:

If I disregard the producer of them completely for a moment and pretend that they were made by, say, the ADL or some such, they’re really not saying anything that I haven’t been saying for years when people get complacent:

“It could happen here too, people.”

A lot of people seem to think that the Germans were simply a bunch of pre-programmed mass murderers with extermination and yearning for a dictator in their DNA and an easy ON/OFF button simply waiting for somebody to push it, but that’s not the case. As a matter of fact, they weren’t much different from you or I. Not to mention that they also, in spite of that mythical “Nazi DNA”, managed to produce Beethoven, Goethe, Schiller etc. etc. etc. just to name a few.

This misperception then leads to a lot of people having a less than vigilant position when it comes to cracking down on similar trends since, you know, “it could never happen here anyway, we’re way too enlightened for that sort of thing.”

The only reason that it probably couldn’t happen here AT THE MOMENT is the 2nd Amendment. If the Germans hadn’t had those rights revoked, it wouldn’t have happened there either. Other than that, all it takes is one crisis, economic or otherwise, one charismatic leader and a subgroup of the population that the majority either outright hate or at the very least feel somewhat suspicious towards. Simmer on “low” until ready to serve.

Yes, it could happen here (and no, I’m not talking about Bush, he’s so very much not at all the kind of leader that could pull it off, he’s not good enough of an orator for ONE thing), and it’s our job to make sure that it doesn’t. Ever. And the best way of doing that is to remind the youngsters, indeed everybody, of the fact that it could, if they ever let down their guards and allow themselves to be blown away by a silver-tongued snakeoil salesman.

If that’s the purpose of these ads, to remind people, then they’re very, very good, and the fact that they’re using present situations with current-day people and weaponry only makes them better. People can RELATE. Footage of people marching around in brown shirts on cobbled streets with old cars rumbling by in a world where all the men wear hats and all the women wear dresses is all very good for a documentary, because that’s how it LOOKED. But it makes it difficult to RELATE. And if people can’t relate, then an ad campaign just isn’t very effective, because they tune out mentally from the first second. Sure, they hear the message, but it’s a message relating to a world that no longer exists, “so what does that have to do with US?”

There, that’s my neutral assessment.

Of course, maybe MTV are really only trying to get in another shot at the Dread Bu$hHitler, it wouldn’t surprise me, in which case it’s just par-for-the-course leftist douchenozzlery.

Misha I on April 7, 2008 at 11:01 PM

They are correct, it will happen to people like them. Unarmed, urbanites who believe the government will provide them with everything they need.

It seemed to me the videos were accurate portrayals of life in the US if the Leftie Democrats have their way. It all began with the mandatory issuance of government Universal Health ID cards.

Zaire67 on April 7, 2008 at 11:08 PM

I have to admit, I would be terrified and angry to be subjected to a government even remotely like the one MTV and its demographic apparently think we live under.

HitNRun on April 7, 2008 at 11:09 PM

OK, so judging by the presence of a very few minorities in the first video; in the future I’ll try not to hang out with white people, because you guys are going to be in big trouble.

Zaire67 on April 7, 2008 at 11:14 PM

Ah, once again AP allows a wide berth to those who have done absolutely nothing to warrant it. How very Christ-like.

Jaibones on April 7, 2008 at 11:32 PM

Yeah, I remember. The very first video was “Video Killed the Radio Star” by The Buggles. The very first VJ was Martha Quinn. (I had such a crush on her.)

Then, over time, MTV started showing TV shows. At first, they were far and few between and they were good (The Young Ones comes to mind), but, then, after VH1 premiered, all of the good music went over there and MTV went all rap and heavy metal. Then, eventually, they stopped playing music altogether by moving all music to MTV2. Now, I hear that MTV2 doesn’t even play music anymore. How strange.

Theophile on April 7, 2008 at 11:46 PM

Just preparation for Obama to set up reparations. Because of evil American “ethnic cleansing.”

Journalist, Filmmaker Discuss Racial Cleansing

by Marisa Kagan, staff writer
MAY 2, 2007 1:23 PM

Elliot Jaspin, author of “Buried in the Bitter Waters,” and Marco Williams, producer and director of the film “Banished,” came to SF State Tuesday night and presented their respective works, which recount the hidden history of the African-American racial cleansing that took place in America over 100 years ago.

Jaspin was originally assigned to go to Arkansas to report on a story about food safety. When he was there he stumbled upon an observation that would soon become a mystery to unfold. Jaspin noticed that there were no African-American people in sight and he could not help but wonder why that was. After doing some research, he found articles from 1912 that were about blacks fearing for their lives and fleeing Forsyth County, Ga., leaving their land behind.

“There were 1,098 black people in Forsyth, and only 30 after the cleansing. It was the largest [African-American] cleansing in America,” Jaspin said. He added that in a 1980 census there was only one black person living there, and today it is all white.

Williams did research on cleansing that occurred in Pierce City, Mo. in 1901, and Harrison, Ark. in 1905 and 1909. They found living descendants of black people who were banished, and found that the descendants desired reparations for what happened to their ancestors.

“Who had the right to tell any man that he or she can’t live there? It is not right,” one descendant from the film said.

According to Williams’ research, deeds to the land that was stolen from the blacks mysteriously became owned by the white people who took over the land without any record of the land being sold to them by the original black owners.

When an article was published in Pierce City that brought light to the racial cleansing that took place, a man called the paper and said, “Let old soldiers lie,” which turned out to be how most of Pierce City felt, and revealed a whole culture of racism that evolved as a result of the cleansing.

One man named James wanted to have his great grandfather exhumed from his grave in Pierce City simply to make sure it was really him. His family did not feel comfortable going there to pay tribute to him, and James wanted him to be moved. After the body was successfully identified and moved, James wrote a letter to the mayor of Pierce City requesting the city to pay for the bill to exhume the body, to symbolize the reparations descendants of the cleansing deserve. The mayor did not think opening his checkbook would make a big enough statement and refused to pay the bill.

funky chicken on April 7, 2008 at 11:54 PM

Sorry, missed the tie-in:

“The living legacy in black expulsions is that we remain invisible,” Williams said about the lack of a visible dedication to Aunt Vine.

The German government has compensated thousands of Holocaust descendants for the war crimes that were committed, thousands of Japanese Americans have been compensated for being unjustly shoved into concentration camps, but, of the thousands of African-Americans that deserve reparations, only four have been compensated, according to the film.

funky chicken on April 7, 2008 at 11:57 PM

From WaPost review of Jaspin’s book:

it’s not enough simply to know that Americans once engaged in ethnic cleansing. We need to be shocked by that terrible truth, to read the stories and cringe at their cruelty. Only then, as Jaspin says, will we be willing to confront the question of how to secure justice for the families that were driven from their land in the early 20th century: to talk seriously of reparations for the victims’ descendants, maybe even of restoring land to its rightful owners, a possibility that has already caused consternation in a few communities around the country.

funky chicken on April 8, 2008 at 12:03 AM

It’s coming.

Indeed…….. God Bless the 2nd Amendment!

Seven Percent Solution on April 8, 2008 at 12:33 AM

OMG! So now the Bush/Hitler is grabbing people off subway trains? Jesus f’n Christ… I am not usually disturbed by their prop but this one does disturb me.
How many people actually believe this crap?

Babs on April 8, 2008 at 1:51 AM

Elian Gonzales, Ruby Ridge, Waco are not faciful MTV fictions. They actually happened. Guess who was President during all of it. Hint: It was not Bush.

RobCon on April 7, 2008 at 4:09 PM

Pardon the nit-pick,but Ruby Ridge happened during the term of Bush The Elder.

And probably changed history, as voters alienated by Bush’s tactics either, voted Perot, or, in my case Libertarian, allowing The Clenis to be elected even tho more people voted against him, then for him.(The Glacier is just using that precedent in going after BHO superdelates.)

soundingboard on April 8, 2008 at 3:30 AM

I’m puzzled as to why this kind of paranoid thinking comes from people who want stiff anti-gun laws and more goverment involvement in everybody’s lives.

But then again, these are the same guys who promoted Y2K hysteria and are now promoting Climate Change hysteria while calling out against fearmongers and alarmists.

Aristotle on April 8, 2008 at 5:19 AM

I remember when MTV came on in 1980 too. And yes it was just videos and some commentary on the video. Sort of like watching radio on tv. But I guess they’ve discovered the power of the visual media and now want to be able to influence if not control the outcome of elections in this country. Well, it’s still a free country (for who knows how long), MTV can do as they like. And I’ll also make it my business to speak out against them when I can – that’s my right too.

abcurtis on April 8, 2008 at 7:38 AM

This pop video-screen history at MTV is a shameful display of Bush Derangement Syndrome, and if such media-driven memes of America’s moral relativism gain more acceptance, we truly have much to worry about, not just in education, but in politics, when the MTV generation comes to increasing power in the years ahead, with plans for some variant of the Thermidorian reaction.

Thanks for the links!

Donald Douglas on April 8, 2008 at 8:25 AM

As a Christian who was born Jewish and who most likely lost family to the Einsatzgruppen in the Ukraine and in Lithuania, I found the spots to be effective as h*ll.

We live with friends and one eve the lady of the house and I got into a discussion about the “Blood libel”. I explained to her that it was false and just a way of scapegoating Jews.
She, however, believed that if it kept being brought up it must have been true at some point in history.
I was stunned.
I mentioned the incident to my husband who basically said that it was doubts views like our friends’ that got Hitler and Co. elected.

Shudder.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 8, 2008 at 11:50 AM

I Don’t Want My GoebbelsTV!

WTH are these LibRat jag*ffs gonna do for their “Be Afraid, Be VERY Afraid!” BushHitler crowd when his term’s up?

They gotta stay bouncing-off-the-walls angry 24/7:365 with someone (or something) to be happy, and they like McCain on lots of issues, so what then?

Teddy on April 8, 2008 at 4:47 PM

Seemed a like a good pro-2nd amendment piece to me.

pedestrian on April 8, 2008 at 4:50 PM

What in the hell was that? Seriously? What is the point? They don’t give any context.

I can’t even decide who that’s aimed at.

NeoconNews.com on April 8, 2008 at 5:20 PM

This is closer to home than “we” realize, people.

When I watched these clips, the thing that came to mind was the image of that Oklahoma National Guardsman standing on the porch of a house in New Orleans just after Katrina, leveling his M16 at the chest of the homeowner when he came to the door. A US soldier was threatening an ordinary citizen with death, if that citizen did not immediately hand over any guns he owned.

So be careful people. Not only could it happen here, it already does, but in small amounts that apparently aren’t sufficient to outrage the population as a whole.

And US governments on both the right and left are pushing us towards statism. It’s not just the freedom-hating Democrats!

onseca on April 8, 2008 at 11:23 PM