“Two-bit security guard”? Update: A contractor, not a soldier

posted at 2:11 pm on April 4, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

Regardless of which party a politician calls his own, insulting the troops stationed overseas — especially in a war zone — approaches the limits of stupidity. Rep. Patrick McHenry (R-NC) called a soldier pulling guard duty a “two-bit security guard” in a speech after his return from Iraq, which has many progressive bloggers in a lather today … and rightly so:

Exceedingly dumb and offensive. If McHenry didn’t bother to check on security procedures before going to the gym, then he’s the one at fault, not the soldier. Perhaps McHenry needs to realize the risks of infiltration, but the soldiers, Marines, airmen, and sailors stationed in Iraq do not. Several suicide bombers have managed to get past security arrangements in the past, but none for quite a while, thanks to the “two-bit security guards” who protect American politicians dropping in to use the gym.McHenry had better start eating some humble pie, and soon.Update: Michael Goldfarb says that it wasn’t a soldier — it was a contractor, the kind that Think Progress hardly rises to defend:

Think Progress provides the video, but at no point does McHenry indicate that the “security guard” is an American soldier. In fact, if Amanda had bothered to call McHenry’s office, she would have learned that the security guard was one of the foreign contractors so reviled by the left–an individual who in any other circumstance Amanda would likely label a “mercenary.” I did call McHenry’s office and the congressman’s press secretary offered this statement from his boss ….

Does this really make it any better? After all, the contractors risk their lives as well, albeit for better compensation. One of my good friends worked in Iraq as a contractor, and I can assure McHenry that Mike the SEAL is no two-bit security guard. He’s a highly trained professional who does vital work whether as a SEAL or as a contractor.

Ding Think Progress for the inaccuracy, but McHenry isn’t off the hook.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

He’s just a politician trying to sound like a big man.

I put this up to poor speaking skills and low self esteem.

jake-the-goose on April 4, 2008 at 2:15 PM

As a North Carolinian stationed near Ft. Bragg, he owes the soldier an apology. Another example of political figures not being in touch with the folks.

THE CHOSEN ONE on April 4, 2008 at 2:16 PM

And his years in military service number?

OhEssYouCowboys on April 4, 2008 at 2:17 PM

He needs to stop performing that self visual colonoscopy. Just another example of our “royalty” getting down on the peons.

Wyrd on April 4, 2008 at 2:17 PM

The Left have an Eye on McHenry and want to pre-empt his career because he is viewed as dangerous to them down the road…i.e. another Tom Delay in the house. Obama placed his NC headquarters in the heart of McHenry’s very Red district btw. anyway, he better be squeaky clean..

jp on April 4, 2008 at 2:18 PM

McHenry doesn’t look it, but he’s only like 30 years old.

jp on April 4, 2008 at 2:19 PM

He could get a job with Knight Ridder with that sort of attitude. Recall the jerk of the year?

windbag on April 4, 2008 at 2:19 PM

What was the payoff to that story? Was the “one person who lost his life” in the rocket attack the “two-bit security guard” that he referred to earlier?

Or was he just telling it so he could use the line, “I’m not telling you a Hillary Clinton story” for a lame laugh?

I’d like to hear the end of his comments.

MikeZero on April 4, 2008 at 2:19 PM

I’ll leave him the Mc, but he should be stripped of the rest of his name.

rbj on April 4, 2008 at 2:20 PM

Sadly, party affiliation no longer matters. As I’ve grown older, I’ve found that it’s just a matter of how deep you have to scratch, before you find the same political pig in perpetuity.

I’m a conservative without a party.

OhEssYouCowboys on April 4, 2008 at 2:20 PM

He’s just a politician trying to sound like a big man.

I put this up to poor speaking skills and low self esteem.

jake-the-goose on April 4, 2008 at 2:15 PM

And a good dollop of “Teh Stoopid” apparently as well. Frankly, I don’t particularly care if he’s an R or not. We don’t need or want “royalty” in our party. The Dems are the party of entitlement, NOT US.

wearyman on April 4, 2008 at 2:20 PM

Patrick McHenry – “give me narcissism, or give me stupidity”. He got a two for one.

kirkill on April 4, 2008 at 2:21 PM

This speaks volumes about this chump, not the kind of Representative the GOP needs. They should purge this corn chunk forthwith before he can do some real damage.

ronsfi on April 4, 2008 at 2:21 PM

Ungrateful jackass. Even after experiencing the rocket attack, he still feels the guard was unjustified in asking for ID. Makes me want to smack this doofus upside the head.

Splashman on April 4, 2008 at 2:22 PM

Jackassery doesn’t discriminate by political party, obviously.

Spiny Norman on April 4, 2008 at 2:24 PM

1st. Senators and Congressmen do not belong in Iraq or Afghanistan, I don’t pay them to travel over there.

2nd. Ahhh 1st General Order of the Military “I will guard everything within the limits of my post and quit my post only when properly relieved”. I.E. Congressman McHenry, you obviously do not need to be in Iraq if you don’t understand the Military.

3rd. Stand there when you here, “Duck and Cover” like a moron…. let me think…. hmmm Duck and Cover was around when you were a child I assume due to the Cold War!

4th. I hope to GOD the Military people in North Carolina wake up and hopefully NOT vote for you again. You are a disrespectful individual!

upinak on April 4, 2008 at 2:25 PM

You know…I’m pretty sure I drank this guy’s milkshake in Junior High.

ronsfi on April 4, 2008 at 2:25 PM

He might have been trying to say that the guard saved his life.

infidel on April 4, 2008 at 2:26 PM

He might have been trying to say that the guard saved his life.

infidel on April 4, 2008 at 2:26 PM

How so? I mean he definitely didn’t say it in a condescending tone but I don’t know…

jp on April 4, 2008 at 2:30 PM

If his dumb ass knows what’s good for it, it better be hightailing itself back to Iraq right now for a photo-op with “2-Bit”!

Dread Pirate Roberts VI on April 4, 2008 at 2:30 PM

comment left on youtube:

The security guard was a contractor from Triple Canopy, not a soldier. They’re not allowed to let anyone in anywhere w/o the proper ID. They are not allowed to recognize faces as proof of entry because those rights can get revoked. That is the main gym and no exception. Besides, hes nothing more than a glorytourist acting like a primadonna. He wasted tax money by going there. He didnt actually do anything other than travel. He’s a nobody in the green zone. Why should a security contractor care?

hmmm???

jp on April 4, 2008 at 2:32 PM

I read something saying that the “guard” he refers to is a contractor, not a soldier. McHenry asking to see his “supervisor” as opposed to his “superior officer” makes sense, then.

Regardless, it doesn’t change the fact that this jackass has entitlement issues.

MikeZero on April 4, 2008 at 2:33 PM

I hope the lefties notice that all of us think this guy is a total dumb mass, and yeah, he does in fact owe that man, and all of our people in uniform a big apology.

bikermailman on April 4, 2008 at 2:34 PM

Two bit public servant, overwhelmed with his own self importance making sure everyone else knows how important he is. A republican Murtha in the making. Just a gut feeling I get from his little speech. Hope I’m wrong.

Oldnuke on April 4, 2008 at 2:34 PM

You got it. Now let’s see if anyone omits (R) in their accounts. Any takers?

mymanpotsandpans on April 4, 2008 at 2:35 PM

it would make sense that guarding gyms would be outsourced to a contractor vs. our troops.

jp on April 4, 2008 at 2:36 PM

This story seems so familiar. Wasn’t there a story on HA a few months ago about another congresscritter who had an embarrassing confrontation with an MP or soldier in Iraq?

RushBaby on April 4, 2008 at 2:36 PM

Patrick McHenry needs to either fall on his sword like a gentleman or be ridden out of town on a rail like a scoundrel.

Either way, he doesn’t belong in the Republican Party.

29Victor on April 4, 2008 at 2:37 PM

If he has any ‘malkins’, he will go on every news channel tonight and #1-Apologize to the specific soldier, #2-Apologize to all service personnel in general. My words were poorly chosen and there is no excuse for what I said.

Then he can spin whatever he wants, but he has to do the above first.

PappaMac on April 4, 2008 at 2:38 PM

RushBaby on April 4, 2008 at 2:36 PM

Yeah, wasn’t it in Afghanistan?

Kerry saying that the Helicopter pilot was trying to scare him by shooting off flares …. or something like that?

Anyone else recall that?

upinak on April 4, 2008 at 2:39 PM

he has a video on this posted today on his Site I just found:

jp on April 4, 2008 at 2:39 PM

upinak on April 4, 2008 at 2:25 PM

Are you referring to the 11 General Orders of a Sentry?

I think number 11 would probably cover this situation.

Oldnuke on April 4, 2008 at 2:43 PM

Anyone else recall that?

upinak on April 4, 2008 at 2:39 PM

I was thinking about this jerkimer.

RushBaby on April 4, 2008 at 2:43 PM

I don’t think he’ll give a crap. Being a representative for bumf$%&k, NC he has a lifetime appointment.

freevillage on April 4, 2008 at 2:44 PM

Oldnuke on April 4, 2008 at 2:43 PM

True!

Still the General Orders cover the main body of everything. No matter what Military body you go into… you have to guard “something”.

upinak on April 4, 2008 at 2:44 PM

He’s telling the story that the guy he thought was a “two bit security guard” actually saved his life.

When will you all learn not to take at face value the truncated versions the people who revel in ‘gotcha’ politics put out to generate outrage?

His Website

MayBee on April 4, 2008 at 2:45 PM

Gawd, when will this all stop? Someone of some party says something that’s not 100% mom-apple-pie patriotic and everyone gets their undies in a bunch. Those on the left say if this were a democrat, the right would explode, those on the right attack this guy because if they didn’t they’d look like hypocrites.

this business of taking anything that’s even slightly controversial or off-color and grilling people for it, calling for a never-ending stream of apologies is just too much.

it’s a chance for people sitting around at a computer to show how moral and patriotic they are while angling to somehow paint the other party in a bad light.

it’s just all so stupid.

Tom_Shipley on April 4, 2008 at 2:46 PM

Rep. Patrick McHenry (R-NC) is Teh Ghay.

Seven Percent Solution on April 4, 2008 at 2:46 PM

RushBaby on April 4, 2008 at 2:43 PM

Ahh yes, I remember reading this a while back. I was not on HA yet.

upinak on April 4, 2008 at 2:47 PM

Stupidity is not the exclusive possession of the left.

Entelechy on April 4, 2008 at 2:47 PM

upinak on April 4, 2008 at 2:44 PM

How well I remember! I recall a dumpster in February about 2am with the temperature well below zero.

Oldnuke on April 4, 2008 at 2:47 PM

Oldnuke on April 4, 2008 at 2:47 PM

Ugh, I remember well. But I live in the cold.. 0 is ok with enough layers. But I understand totally!

upinak on April 4, 2008 at 2:48 PM

As far as I’m concerned, if in fact that it was a private “security guard” rather than a US soldier then the comment is somewhat less offensive. But the “two-bit” part was uncalled for, and the fact remains the guy is doing a neccesary job in a dangerous environment.

But it’s incredibly hypocritical for the Left, with their seething contempt for these so-called “mercenaries”, to try and make hay over this. What else is new, I guess.

BuzzCrutcher on April 4, 2008 at 2:48 PM

MayBee on April 4, 2008 at 2:45 PM

I think you are right here…interesting video clip. something isn’t adding up between that and his comment. but he hardly seems to say this in a bad tone like libs generally do when they stick foot in mouth.

jp on April 4, 2008 at 2:49 PM

Unforced error. On his website, there is a video of him, just after the rocket attack, saying it was “appropriate” that he was kept out of the gym.

eeyore on April 4, 2008 at 2:49 PM

I am begining to think this is a contractor and not soldier. Reason being is that after mouthing off this clown wasn’t put into the front leaning rest postion, that’s the push up position for you civilians, while the soldier got his sargeant of the guard to determine how to proceed. Having been an SOG on numerous occasions and having to deal with people like this my response time often varied from a couple of minutes to shift change time.
Military guards are often tested by folks doing just this sort of thing to evaluate their actions and reactions. If it was a soldier you can bluster all you want but having the wrath of his chain of command on his neck for allowing somebody to pass without ID is a lot worse then some blow hard politician who is on the next plane out of there.
In any event this asshat owes somebody an apology whether it was a contractor or soldier, because unlike him, they will be there for a while and they will continue to protect the folks who are relying on them for protection. Now if this representative wants to done 100 lbs of grunt junk and stand a post somewhere to gain some knowledge and insight into what these guards have to do that would be nice too. Have him guard his own house, tell him a serial killer on the loose and one slip up and his family will be wiped out ought to give him the proper motivation to understand the consequences.

Just A Grunt on April 4, 2008 at 2:50 PM

Yes, I’d like to hear more of that clip, but it does sound like he’s telling the story of how his life was saved by a “two-bit security guard”. A tad insensitive but maybe what he’s doing (intentionally) is characterizing himself as a jerk who didn’t realize the guy had his best interests at heart.

Brainster on April 4, 2008 at 2:50 PM

BuzzCrutcher on April 4, 2008 at 2:48 PM

Buzz check out McHenry’s page with the video’s and then look at the youtube. I thanks the “person” in the first one, then thanks God. In the youtube he sounded annoyed and agitated…. I guess thanks only goes so far.

upinak on April 4, 2008 at 2:50 PM

So, the gym was wanted to go into,got hit by rockets? I wonder if the “two but security guard” got out alive.

He posts a video that was shot on that day, no applogy, and the video posted here, was after his return?

So, the “two bit security guard” may of saved his life, but he still feels compelled to belittle the guy.

WoosterOh on April 4, 2008 at 2:50 PM

Rep. McHenry would have been better off saying, “Screw them.” Then the Left would have applauded.

seanhackbarth on April 4, 2008 at 2:51 PM

Sorry, Maybee & jp – missed yours

eeyore on April 4, 2008 at 2:51 PM

McHenry doesn’t look it, but he’s only like 30 years old.

jp on April 4, 2008 at 2:19 PM

According to his wiki he’s only 33. It’s possible this was just a mistake of inexperience, but it reeks of a man inflated with his own importance.

We could do without those.

Esthier on April 4, 2008 at 2:52 PM

Brainster on April 4, 2008 at 2:50 PM

So, maybe he was trying to replay that all personal are important,from the two-bit security guards to the Blackhawk pilots? That even a two-bit security guard can save lives?

It is plausible.

WoosterOh on April 4, 2008 at 2:53 PM

Wonder how he feels about those who he represents in his State.

I hate my generation…

upinak on April 4, 2008 at 2:56 PM

purge this corn chunk forthwith before he can do some real damage.

ronsfi on April 4, 2008 at 2:21 PM

Heh!

bernzright777 on April 4, 2008 at 2:56 PM

he has a video on this posted today on his Site I just found:

jp on April 4, 2008 at 2:39 PM

Uh . . . if I understand this correctly, then, immediately following the attack, McHenry realized he might have been dead if not for the guard. Then he goes home to the States and in front of an audience, he refers to that same guard as a “two-bit security guard.”

Dick.

Splashman on April 4, 2008 at 2:57 PM

MayBee on April 4, 2008 at 2:45 PM

Sorry but the video on his website appears to have been shot in Iraq close to the time the attack happened. He never mentions the two bit security guard that saved his life. Just that he couldn’t get into the gym because of not having the proper ID and that he was escorted back to his room. In the video here he has a different audience and he embellishes his tale with more details. He may have been trying to say that the two bit security guard saved his life but that’s not the way it came across. In any case why make a reference in a public forum that is clearly meant to demean someone only doing what he’s paid to do?

Oldnuke on April 4, 2008 at 2:57 PM

Does this really make it any better?

Ed, what do you think your friend would say in these circumstances?

upinak on April 4, 2008 at 2:58 PM

Bah! This guy has a bad attitude! He seems like the type who eventually gets caught “smoking in the boy’s room”. Cut bait.

ronsfi on April 4, 2008 at 3:00 PM

Yes, Brainster. That’s exactly it. I think he adds the “two bit” in the later clip for dramatic effect– to show how hubris almost killed him, and he owes his life to the man he didn’t respect. His insensitivity (if that’s what you want to call it) is part of the story.

MayBee on April 4, 2008 at 3:01 PM

jp on April 4, 2008 at 2:18 PM

Did you just try to conspiracy theory and blame The Left for making him say two-bit?

A Axe on April 4, 2008 at 3:01 PM

No! It doesn’t make it better. But for rabid haters of “private contractors” and the military like Think Progress to feign anger in this circumstance, is just plain hypocrisy.
If senator McHenry had a (D), as apposed to an (R), next to his name, they would commending him for making a “brave and courageous statement”.

RMR on April 4, 2008 at 3:03 PM

So the left assumed he meant the guard was a soldier and jumped on him for it.

Now what will they do? They hardly maintain the utmost respect for contractors. Kos himself:

That said, I feel nothing over the death of merceneries. They aren’t in Iraq because of orders, or because they are there trying to help the people make Iraq a better place. They are there to wage war for profit. Screw them.

amerpundit on April 4, 2008 at 3:04 PM

Wonder how he feels about those who he represents in his State.

I hate my generation…

upinak on April 4, 2008 at 2:56 PM

Nail on head.

OhEssYouCowboys on April 4, 2008 at 3:05 PM

A Axe on April 4, 2008 at 3:01 PM

no but to view this with a grain of salt till you know everything. This is Think Progress afterall. The left want to end his career early

jp on April 4, 2008 at 3:05 PM

You still get Saturday Study Hall for this, Congressman.

mymanpotsandpans on April 4, 2008 at 3:06 PM

I just listened to him on Wilkow majority. His ’2-bit’ thought was going thru his head at the time he was stopped, at 5am, by the guard. When he realized he’d have most likely been mush on the floor of that gym, he realized how that man saved his life. He was not trying to be demeaning, but realizes that comment is surely coming across that way.

I can surely state that I am someone who thinks this way…and talks this way, publicly, all the damn time. I don’t think there are few here who are that much different, really, but why are we all over this guy today?

Is he not conservative enough? Has he not been pro-military enough lately? Has he spouted something we didn’t like? What is it, really?

I mean, a number of HA readers gave Chelsea a pass on the Monica issue, even though I do think, since Hillary did blame that on the vast Right-Wing Conspiracy, that it is a valid question for her to answer as a heavy campaigner and at 27.

But we’re ripping this guy a new one, when only his website most likely has the full video? Brilliant.

Miss_Anthrope on April 4, 2008 at 3:09 PM

jp on April 4, 2008 at 2:32 PM

What you said !

DoctorDentons on April 4, 2008 at 3:10 PM

it’s just all so stupid.

Tom_Shipley on April 4, 2008 at 2:46 PM

Yes, your post is just all so stupid. Those on the right are attacking this guy because he screwed up, and only as a cynical afterthought hope that the left notices because they always defend their own way past the point of credulity.

I’ll leave it to you to re-evaluate who the right thinks are the hypocrites in this equation.

James on April 4, 2008 at 3:10 PM

I just listened to him on Wilkow majority. His ‘2-bit’ thought was going thru his head at the time he was stopped, at 5am, by the guard. When he realized he’d have most likely been mush on the floor of that gym, he realized how that man saved his life. He was not trying to be demeaning, but realizes that comment is surely coming across that way.

and in context it isn’t said maliciously, like when the dems say stuff like this. Seems to me he’s giving a human reaction to being denied access to tell the story and frame it after finding out he saved his life.

jp on April 4, 2008 at 3:12 PM

Ed, you’re as funny as the Moonbats. You jump to conclusions just as quickly when the video alone should have made raised questions about who he’s referring to. I watched it without reading your post and I immediately question if he was talking about a soldier and you should have too.

Then you find out it’s a security guard – a contractor – You don’t know anything about this contractor. You don’t know his nationality and you don’t know how professional he was and yet you make the leap to comparing him the Ex-SEAL contractor. Why would you do that? For all you know this guy was an $5/hr Iraqi national who had the demeanor of your average mall security guard – a two-bit (cheap) security guard. Are you just trying to cover for jumping the gun on this or what?

TheBigOldDog on April 4, 2008 at 3:13 PM

Oh, he didn’t say it, at the time, he only thought it. Great. I feel better, now. He only thought that the guy was a two-bit, worthless piece of shit.

OhEssYouCowboys on April 4, 2008 at 3:14 PM

Patrick McHenry. Yet another shining example of why we need term limitation in Congress. In this case, term limitation and a good swift kick in the rear. This guy is an idiot’s idiot!

pilamaye on April 4, 2008 at 3:15 PM

I really like McHenry, not exactly because of anything important just because he has very similar tendencies while speaking that I have. He is very sarcastic and has a very dry sense of humor. go figure a guy named captainobvious said that right. Anyway Im not trying to make any apologies however I have listened to alot of speeches and statements from McHenry and I have a feeling if the rest of that video was shown it would make a lot more sense. heres a quick example.

CaptainObvious on April 4, 2008 at 3:15 PM

James,

Isn’t it the right who always laments the “PC” age?

My point is that I think we’re heading toward dangerous ground when there are thousands of people ready to pounce on anything that isn’t lock-step with the perceived “right” or “good” position to hold, never giving the benefit of the doubt, always judging.

And all these calls for apologies. Everyone needs to get over themselves.

Tom_Shipley on April 4, 2008 at 3:16 PM

Unless you’ve been in a war zone, you can have NO idea about how the troops feel about Congress, and their “Junkets”.

Case in Point, USS Iwo Jima (LPH-2) off the coast of Beirut Lebanon in 1983. Ship had been on station for 3 MONTHS churning cirlces in the water… the Crew of 600 sailors not getting ashore at all. Congress shows up and they have to put ARMED GUARDS at all the accesses to the Wardroom because of the Cocktail Party that went on there. They flew “Ladies” onboard, and had booze… this was after the Embassy had blown, but prior to the Barraks… don’t remember the exact dates, but I DO remember the guards, because normaly ships security was run by the crew (I was a team lead), but this security was done by Marines….

Congressmen have ALWAYS shown Hubris when dealing with the military, and it really shows in how they treat enlisted people.

Romeo13 on April 4, 2008 at 3:16 PM

Romeo13 on April 4, 2008 at 3:16 PM

Agreed. And the few who have served (not naming names) who show respect to those who are currently in the Military are few and far between.

upinak on April 4, 2008 at 3:20 PM

McHenry’s story was about how wrong his first judgment on someone was, and how he later learned the person of whom he’d been critical had actually acted properly.

Very appropriate theme for this thread, I think.

MayBee on April 4, 2008 at 3:21 PM

I think everyone is missing the Congressman’s admission of his very well deserved comeuppance. Yes, he was arrogant. Yes, he was chastised. By the supervisor who sent him back to his room without exercising that day. Sometimes being a Congressman doesn’t mean you get to exercise when you want. The point of his story, I believe.

Sue on April 4, 2008 at 3:22 PM

This guy is nothing but a two-bit punk trying to be a big man. Where in hell do they dig up this political garbage. The jerk sounded like a little kid talking about playing war. I don’t care if the guard was a soldier or a civilian, if he’s enforcing the rules then congressman what’s-his-name needs to obey them and shut up.

rplat on April 4, 2008 at 3:26 PM

Isn’t it the right who always laments the “PC” age?

Yeah, the difference being that this isn’t a case of PC run rampant…it’s a case of an ‘I’m better than you’ mentality in a Congressman.

Does the fact that the guard wasn’t a soldier make a difference in the level of respect you should have for someone acting in their assigned authority, no matter who you are? Damn straight I’m ready to pounce on that, whether it was a soldier, a US contractor, or Hadji McGee the third-country-national. They’re all important parts of the mission.

And all these calls for apologies. Everyone needs to get over themselves.

Tom_Shipley on April 4, 2008 at 3:16 PM

Well, I’m with you there. I’d rather he get smacked with the loss of a committee seat or something, because apologies are not consequences, and they don’t provide an excuse for poor behavior.

James on April 4, 2008 at 3:27 PM

Even a two-bit security gaurd is there to keep your sorry butt safe, buddy, no matter where you are.

Bob's Kid on April 4, 2008 at 3:28 PM

“They all” think they’re privileged! Term limit all of them NOW!.

Dread Pirate Roberts VI on April 4, 2008 at 3:28 PM

Maybee,

Amen to that. I can’t figure out why everyone is ignoring the end of the quote. Makes no sense to include that in your own quote unless your point is you got taken down a few levels.

Sue on April 4, 2008 at 3:31 PM

I think that was the point in the Congressman’s story.

Sue on April 4, 2008 at 3:36 PM

Yes, Bob’s kid. That is exactly what he would say is the moral to his story.

MayBee on April 4, 2008 at 3:40 PM

Ha! Sue, I should have refreshed before I posted.

MayBee on April 4, 2008 at 3:42 PM

This is just another version of the Cynthia McKinney affliction – absent the black belligerence.

Inside of the Beltway, there is an infection – and it is called elitism.

OhEssYouCowboys on April 4, 2008 at 3:47 PM

Oh come on! Is that what we say when a Democrat insults?
That they’re being stupid? No, the nicest thing said about a D is that they’re being unpatriotic and it gets way nastier from there.

aengus on April 4, 2008 at 3:50 PM

My Freaking Point Exactly…And The Congressman’s, I Might Add.

Miss_Anthrope on April 4, 2008 at 3:55 PM

Sue on April 4, 2008 at 3:22 PM

Sue, I’m quoting you in case people are missing this point?????

Miss_Anthrope on April 4, 2008 at 3:56 PM

Anywhere we can get the full video with the end of his story?

MikeZero on April 4, 2008 at 3:58 PM

I haven’t seen the end of his story. All I know is someone who is doing anything but making fun of himself would not have included the part about the supervisor he requested sending him to his room. Common sense people.

Sue on April 4, 2008 at 4:01 PM

Miss_Anthrope- thank you for the information about what he said on the Wilkow majority. I meant to thank you earlier in the thread.

MayBee on April 4, 2008 at 4:02 PM

As a NC Republican, I have plenty of issues with this little man McHenry. He’s not as authentic as he appears, in my opinion (could be wrong). BUT, if a real conservative would actually challenge him in the primary, he’d lose. Trust me on this one. Fortunately, I’m not in his district.

I appreciate his votes for various Rep bills, etc etc etc…
BUT, we can do better.

Gartrip on April 4, 2008 at 4:11 PM

I think of it this way… and as I said in a earlier statement.

Wonder how he feels about those who he represents in his State.

Then I also wonder how others now feel about him.

It is a double edged sword people. I don’t care what he said, it was how he said it. I don’t care how he was referring it, it was whom he was referring.

And if some “two-bit” saved your life… even if you had no sense of humor, common sense, or just plain tact… would you say the same thing he did to get a point across? Umm I doubt the majority in here would.

upinak on April 4, 2008 at 4:14 PM