McCain booed in Memphis — but outlasts it

posted at 5:30 pm on April 4, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

John McCain went to Memphis to commemorate the 40th anniversary of the assassination of Martin Luther King. He didn’t exactly get the warmest of receptions, but given his opposition to the federal holiday in King’s honor, understandable. McCain didn’t let that stop him, and in the end, he brings his audience around:

Saying “we are still left with a feeling of loss,” Sen. John McCain paid tribute today to the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. in Memphis, at the Southern Christian Leadership Conference on the 40th anniversary of King’s death.

Most notably, McCain acknowledged that he was wrong to oppose creating a federal holiday in honor of the slain civil rights leader.

“We can be slow as well to give greatness its due, a mistake I made myself long ago when I voted against a federal holiday in memory of Dr. King,” McCain said. “I was wrong and eventually realized that, in time to give full support for a state holiday in Arizona. We can all be a little late sometimes in doing the right thing, and Dr. King understood this about his fellow Americans. But he knew as well that in the long term, confidence in the reasonability and good heart of America is always well placed.”

I have long argued that Republicans need to reach out to African-American voters, and that skipping the Tavis Smiley debate last September was a big mistake. McCain has decided to make the effort now, and got a predictable and understandable reaction. McCain obviously expected it, too, as he just waited out the reaction before explaining how he changed his mind on the issue and helped push for the adoption of a state holiday in Arizona afterwards.

This is smart politics, and it’s long overdue from Republicans. McCain may not win a lot of votes in Memphis as a result of this stop — I’d guess that he won’t win any at all — but at some point, the GOP has to pay some dues. McCain did that today, facing the feedback and eventually turning the boos into applause and a little bit of respect. Starting a dialogue isn’t easy and it doesn’t make for great sound bites, but it helps to lance a boil in politics that the Republicans have pretended doesn’t exist for too long.

It’s a first step — and long overdue.

Update (AP): Agreed, although I don’t for a moment believe that this will lead to any dialogue. It’s a good show by McCain; what’s right is right, whether it leads to extra votes or not.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

ArmyAunt on April 4, 2008 at 7:47 PM

I am sorry for your loss.

4shoes on April 4, 2008 at 7:50 PM

I know my people, they won’t stop booing until someone cuts them a check.

LOL….

The Ugly American on April 4, 2008 at 7:51 PM

You know what free village…fu@k you!

Classy.

P.S. Your sadomasochistic fantasies involving your own nephew is your personal business.

freevillage on April 4, 2008 at 7:51 PM

Please, give me a break, you speak better than some natives here, don’t use that as an excuse for being an inciting ass.

I asked because it’s quite apparent I never ever talked about “all whites in the South”.

freevillage on April 4, 2008 at 7:53 PM

ArmyAunt on April 4, 2008 at 7:47 PM

My Condolences to you and your Family. I can’t even begin to understand how you and your Family feel.

Free is an absolute waste of time and energy and I hope you understand that many people are not that crude, rude, selfish and insufferably ignorant.

You and your Family are in my prayers!

upinak on April 4, 2008 at 7:53 PM

ArmyAunt,

We all take great pride in our sons and daughters who have such strength, such clarity of purpose and such personal honor and courage that they volunteer for a poorly paid job where freedom is taken from them, the conditions are miserable, they must go where they’re sent and they may not refuse or quit or back down. For those whose loved ones are killed or maimed serving their country, and who still believe in the nobility and righteousness of that person’s sacrifice, who refuse to duck into the easy shelter of making that hero into a victim in their mind, I can only imagine the strength of resolve that you have.

My son Michael is a sniper in the Marines and is somewhere in Iraq at this moment. I couldn’t be prouder of him. I only hope that he doesn’t have to make the same sacrifice as your nephew. But if he does, it will be what he chose to do, and I will honor him.

Immolate on April 4, 2008 at 7:57 PM

freevillage on April 4, 2008 at 7:51 PM

I think the only one here being sadistic is you.
You’re going to have to try a little harder in the future to get much out of us here. You’ve labeled yourself, troll.

4shoes on April 4, 2008 at 7:57 PM

Immolate on April 4, 2008 at 7:33 PM

It is quite obvious that the black community is plenty diversified and your argument about a mold is old and tired. When talking about any community you need to think in percentages of peoples. So please don’t try to paraphrase my postings with you mumbo jumbo about there good blacks. That is a given and not the portion who need to hear the message. Your reaching out and ‘They are welcomed’ statements have been done to ad nauseam and guess whet the percentage does not change. Read some Thomas Sowell and Walter Williams, even Bill Cosby. All blacks and the majority of the black community does not listen respect and they powerful message falls on death ears.

I agree with everything you say but this world is real and until the blacks do something to improve own community there is nothing the Republicans can do to get our message across except to keep the message out there and hope little by little the community will put forth effort to change. Again I suggest reading Dr Sowell.

Wade on April 4, 2008 at 7:58 PM

Alright. I think this has gone too far. I can’t say I apologize for what I said substantively. There is nothing I have ever said that would indicate I disrespect the military. Neither did I ever said anything about southern whites.

However, had I known I was dealing with a grieving relative, I would have phrased things differently. For that I feel very sorry.

freevillage on April 4, 2008 at 8:00 PM

I know exactly where you’re coming from Wade, but you’re missing where I’m coming from. When I was a young man, many of those examples I’ve listed were rare to nonexistant. Now we all know blacks who are successful and who have embraced the dream. Unlike global warming, the trend actually points to where it’s going.

Immolate on April 4, 2008 at 8:00 PM

Immolate on April 4, 2008 at 7:57 PM

Please tell your son thank you from one military family to another! I am so proud of our youth!
My nephew believed in what he was doing and I still believe in getting the job done.

upinak on April 4, 2008 at 7:53 PM

Thank you upinak and others for your kind words..

I apologize for my outburst and my language.
I shall continue to ignore freevillage from now on.

ArmyAunt on April 4, 2008 at 8:01 PM

ArmyAunt on April 4, 2008 at 8:01 PM

I would be honored to take a bracelet with his name on it when I go back into AIT for training and before I am stationed somewhere unknown at this time. If you and your family would allow me of course. I do not want you to say his name on here, which is too personal. You can email me at cmahnken2003@yahoo.com at your leisure. Hugs to you.

upinak on April 4, 2008 at 8:06 PM

Honestly I think that if any Republican can reach out to the black community it is Senator McCain.
If he can just reach some blacks in the military, some business owners, people who are getting ahead then I think it will have a snowball affect.
It might take many years but hey, show them how much better it feels to raise yourself up and others in your area!

ArmyAunt on April 4, 2008 at 8:07 PM

It takes stones to walk willingly into an unfriendly audience. The good news is that Republicans get a lot of practice at press conferences.

Immolate on April 4, 2008 at 8:11 PM

Compare and contrast McCain to Hillary today.

Guess what?! She cried AGAIN!

She sounded like a third rate actor doing her best (but blatantly phony) whispery voice.

Domino on April 4, 2008 at 8:11 PM

Immolate on April 4, 2008 at 8:11 PM

You are funny lol.
I was suprised the other day, when Obama repeated his 100 year lie, to hear the press question him and basically tell him he was lying.

ArmyAunt on April 4, 2008 at 8:20 PM

Yup. The right politics. Nuttin’ more.

Jus’ sayin’: Rescind the holiday!

Lockstein13 on April 4, 2008 at 8:21 PM

I ask myself sometimes, why suffer the fool? After reading everything freevillage posted here. I am sure there should be some devise that would allow one to not suffer the fool. I value another person by the nature of their character not the color of their skin. If you insist you are a victim of some ancient wrong, you never need to take responsiblity for your life. No person in Obama’s family was ever a slave. There may, however, have been a slave trader or two. After all, whites did not sell blacks into slavery, blacks did.

Zelsdorf Ragshaft on April 4, 2008 at 8:22 PM

The party that freed the slaves, and the men that died doing it are forgotten and derided. McCain was booed for being Republican and White. Nobody looked past his skin to the values he represents, and the hero he is.

Hening on April 4, 2008 at 8:26 PM

I like McCain’s manner and ability to say he made a mistake and changed his mind. I’ll bet he’ll win a few and lose a few in Memphis and West Tennessee thought the bulk will go for Obama. Still, as you say, he did the right thing and that’s what matters most. Good for McCain!

Webutante on April 4, 2008 at 8:50 PM

Now if McCain can only deliver a similar speech while delivering a truck load of fence building supplies to the border…………..

On a side note, that troll freevillage has not lived in the United States very long. It is obvious he was educated by a socialist/leftist book on the history of America. It (sic) was not born free, nor knows what it is to be truly free and to live your life by personal responsibility. His insult to ArmyAunt showed that a headless cockroach has more intelect. He has no common history that we Americans share, and throwing insults to the problem of racism proves that. No more feeding the troll…………

Seven Percent Solution on April 4, 2008 at 9:11 PM

When do we stop pandering for votes? When do we get past electoral racism? Who cares what color Republicans are? If blacks are going to continue to buy the lies and the deception and abuse by the Democrats, that’s their unfortunate choice. Pandering is a good short-term solution, but a horrible long-term idea.

Just my opinion.

fourstringfuror on April 4, 2008 at 9:15 PM

fourstringfuror on April 4, 2008 at 9:15 PM

I wouldn’t advocate pandering for black votes, but going out and telling them how the Republican way would enhance their lives would be a good thing I would think.
Same as telling any group that your way is better than your opponents.

If McCain truly thought he was wrong, and changed his mind, which his pushing to have a MLK holiday in his state proves, then more power to him.

I don’t believe in pandering for anyones vote, but if I were McCain I would certainly go to their areas (same as I would go to a farming community or any other community) and I would make my pitch.

Since Hillary and Obama basically stand for the same thing, the reason he is getting 90 per cent of the black vote has to be color.

ArmyAunt on April 4, 2008 at 9:32 PM

Sorry I missed such a charming conversation. /not

Chin up, ArmyAunt.

baldilocks on April 4, 2008 at 9:35 PM

Go Maverick! I wish I could have seen the whole thing. He deserves some props for that.

ackrite55 on April 4, 2008 at 9:45 PM

baldilocks on April 4, 2008 at 9:35 PM

Hey baldi how are you?

ArmyAunt on April 4, 2008 at 10:04 PM

Man, McCain hit a homerun with that. He is made of steel. No matter how much I disagree with him on some issues, he is a man of courage and convictions.

carbon_footprint on April 4, 2008 at 10:05 PM

carbon_footprint on April 4, 2008 at 10:05 PM

Doubt he can get through the metal detectors because of the …..ahem….titanium…..lol

ArmyAunt on April 4, 2008 at 10:07 PM

Just read the thread. That freevillage thing is filth. What a nasty lowlife.

juliesa on April 4, 2008 at 10:07 PM

No. The blue North wasn’t nearly as racist. My point is that every human filth in the South is welcome to the Republican party. And those seriously claim that an entire race within the country is “irrational” are part of those.

freevillage on April 4, 2008 at 6:19 PM

What an incredibly ignorant ass you are. You might be surprized to find out that the two most racially segregated cities in the US are Chicago and New York, but then from your comments it seems obvious something is seriously lacking in your education, so you might not know how to look this up. Might I suggest the library, where you could also find a great deal of information that you clearly missed being educated on. You know, like the history of the KKK, the Voting Rights Act, the Civil Rights Act, etc. You might be surprized how fooled you were by your inadequate education.

Think_b4_speaking on April 4, 2008 at 11:49 PM

How about Republicans reaching out to Americans? I think the worst development in politics was the destruction of the American identity and creed through the implementation of multi-culturalism and identity politics.

Yeah … that’s what Ed was getting at, I think, and that’s what I’ve been thinking about. How do we make conservatism look attractive in an era of instant gratification/blame the other guy for your problems/look to the government for all the answers?

Of course the schools are no help. Almost everything I know about conservatism I read for myself, not in school. How do we reach out to people – black, white, whomever – who learn only one viewpoint: that the gummint should take care of everything? If you’ve never been given any other approach, government controls seem logical, right and even fair if done “properly” (Congressional committees overseeing programs and distribution, taking more taxes from those who have more, etc.).

Heck, it’s even in the Bible – the earliest Christians “sold their property and held all things in common, giving to each according to his need.” (Acts 2:44-45) How can we make it clear that something that worked for an early religious community, admirable as it was, is not good policy for a great nation?

I honestly don’t have the answer. There are tons of great books, speakers, columnists…. what else could we do, take out ads? Create YouTube videos?

I thought it was a teaching moment when Katrina blew in and “exposed the racism in America” as the media put it. Just who ran and controlled New Orleans for the decades leading up to Katrina? Just who is in charge of the highest crime-rate areas and cities in our country? Just who advocates for the destruction of the nuclear family? Just who advocates for treating citizens like children in need of constant need of help and direction?

VolMagic on April 4, 2008 at 5:48 PM

It just amazed me (though I guess it shouldn’t have) that somehow the whole Katrina thing became Bush’s fault. BDS at its finest. This is the kind of thing we’re up against when we want to show people how much better self-reliance is as a foundation for a good society. And they RE-ELECTED that idiot Nagin. Lord.

Rosmerta on April 4, 2008 at 11:58 PM

[Blacks] should be at the forefront of the small government movement.

freevillage on April 4, 2008 at 5:45 PM

I have to say I think freevillage has been pretty level-headed in the face of some real nastiness here. I don’t agree with everything he writes, but I think he’s normally willing to engage in dialogue without namecalling, unlike some of what I’m seeing here. Shouldn’t people be able to disagree without getting pounded into the sand?

Rosmerta on April 5, 2008 at 12:10 AM

Rosmerta, there’s disagreeing and thene there’s being outright nasty. The commenters here do have a tendency to flame those who they think are out of line but they are also very quick to forgive and cool off when things either get out of control (i.e. too personal) or when someone calls them back to the issues. Free refused to do so and offered a very mealy mouthed non-apology when he realized he had gone too far. His behaviour was trollish in the extreme, first making points that seemed rational but then quickly veering into incitement and driveling bigotry.

I think we can all agree that everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion, but it helps when one confines those opinions to the political and express them without the sole intention of starting a flame war. One cogent comment does not absolve him of acting like a troll for the rest of the thread. If he were to come back and offer a full mea culpa, that might change a few opinions of him, but he did a lot of damage to his credibility.

Militant Bibliophile on April 5, 2008 at 12:30 AM

BTW, ArmyAunt, as a veteran, I offer my thanks for your nephew’s sacrifice and my best wishes to your family. God with you in your time of need.

Militant Bibliophile on April 5, 2008 at 12:33 AM

Rosmerta on April 5, 2008 at 12:10 AM

I have to call Bovine Excrement on you, and tag you as a fellow troll…

There is no way in reading this thread, or any other that you can write

“he’s normally willing to engage in dialogue without namecalling,”

And you also state this uncomprehsable statement:

“I’m with you there, freevillage. Big government programs have failed black Americans by infantilizing them and making them dependent.”

If you had any idea how far your head was actually a part of your rectum, your arguement agianst Big Government was the arguement your fellow troll was for…… pathetic.

Enjoy each other’s company….

Seven Percent Solution on April 5, 2008 at 12:56 AM

I dunno freevillage, the governments, crack in black neighborhoods, program got a fairly good response from the black community. The explosive levee program in New Orleans went well, also.

2Tru2Tru on April 5, 2008 at 12:58 AM

I shall continue to ignore freevillage from now on.

ArmyAunt on April 4, 2008 at 8:01 PM

Best advice anyone could give.

I agree with pitching Republican ideas wherever we go, but when we talk about attracting black votes, we inevitably wind up talk about big government programs, handouts, and free housing, which precisely what they do not need. Blacks need to make themselves less dependent on government, not more.

fourstringfuror on April 5, 2008 at 1:27 AM

As soon as we start talking about a “black” agenda, we lose. There can only be an American agenda. Handouts help nobody of any race. They only help 100 + 435 + 9 + 1 federal officials control our lives.

Mojave Mark on April 5, 2008 at 1:43 AM

7%, I am no troll, nor is my head a part of my rectum, at least the last time I checked Grey’s Anatomy (the reference book, not the TV show). This is exactly the kind of bovine excrement I’m talking about.

Militant, I like your nic, being a militant bibliophile myself. :)

Rosmerta on April 5, 2008 at 1:46 AM

As for the blacks behaving irrationally, the minute the Republican party stops being a haven for every racist piece of shit, their “irrational behavior” will change.

freevillage on April 4, 2008 at 5:51 PM

Uh huh. Tell me, which party has a former member of the KKK as a prominent Senator? Which party supported the continuation of slavery? Which party does Rev. Wright, a racist, belong to?

amerpundit on April 4, 2008 at 6:02 PM

freevillage, you have it all wrong. amerpundit is on the right track.

the dems have done a very good job at selling themselves as the “progressive” party of “truth and justice”, but neither history nor current events back that claim up.

homesickamerican on April 5, 2008 at 4:31 AM

Whoa! I feel like I arrived a day too late, and now I’m overlooking a huge verbal battlefield, strewn with slurs, obscenities, expletives, some truth, some nonsense, and some leftist rhetorical excrement.

“Out of the overflow of the heart, the mouth speaks.”

p40tiger on April 5, 2008 at 6:18 AM

Just to explain my position once again in case someone isn’t genuinely confused.

There is absolutely nothing on substance that I need to retract, in my opinion at least. The whole thread has been an exercise in victimization by many.

The exchange became controversial when I accused the Republican Party being tolerant to white racism, particularly in the South. Of course, I will not go back on this. It’s the simple truth demonstrated by tons of literature as well as my own living in NC for several years. Doesn’t mean I don’t like NC. Doesn’t mean I wouldn’t go back to NC. It simply means there’re many racists in NC Republican Party.

Now, I understand that people may take offense. And some laid out arguments against my position. I don’t necessarily think that those were that solid but finding it out is what a debate is for.

Instead of an honest argument some people chose to lie. The lie number one was that I was talking about every white person in the South. I clearly wasn’t. I asked for a quote, nobody gave me one (surprise!) Then the Republican kooks reached for the ultimate winner : “OMG, look at him, he hates America!”. In this case it had the form “OMFG, he hates teh Troops”. (Writing Troops with a capital T instead of addressing for instance increased unemployment among veterans is how you show your patriotism, btw.)

It’s in that crazy exchange that was based totally on lies about my position that I slipped and said something that was wrong to say particularly to a person I didn’t know. I should have ignored unfair attacks or at least used a much different tone of voice. Of course, it was never my intention to hurt a relative of a fallen soldier no matter what, and I’m sorry that I did.

freevillage on April 5, 2008 at 8:12 AM

freevillage, you have it all wrong. amerpundit is on the right track.

A Russkie and the irrational race incorrectly accuse the Republicans of being tolerant to bigots. I know.

freevillage on April 5, 2008 at 8:14 AM

Shouldn’t people be able to disagree without getting pounded into the sand?

Rosmerta on April 5, 2008 at 12:10 AM

as long as we aren’t discussing public schools

tlynch001 on April 5, 2008 at 8:33 AM

Just one problem – McCain is wrong now – he was right then.

corona on April 5, 2008 at 11:16 AM

freevillage

Followed the link to your lil website. That Russian it’s written in? It would seem that ameripundit is indeed on the right track.

Kowboy on April 5, 2008 at 12:23 PM

I hate to say this, but Free Village is right. The Republican party set itself up as the haven for the “disenfranchised” white rascists who were not happy with Dem support of the Civil Rights act, etc.

Remember the “Southern Strategy” it wasnt about getting nice, egalitarian southerners into the Party.

Squid Shark on April 5, 2008 at 2:09 PM

Squid Shark on April 5, 2008 at 2:09 PM

No, the point he is making is that the Republican pary is still the party of racists. His small mind can’t comprehend that there was a lot of racism all over America and, to a very large extent, has ceased to be part of any political party these days.

But whatever. I guess it’s just easy to call people racist. And it makes you feel better too cause you obviously aren’t racist if you’re willing to call out others. Bleh.

VolMagic on April 5, 2008 at 3:09 PM

As of the beginning of the 21st century, a candidate for county chair calls another one a nigger lover (the other guy has a black girlfriend at the time) and wins the nomination.

Someone on a popular political site calls an entire race “irrational” and nobody objects.

Yeah, it’s about my small mind. :)

freevillage on April 5, 2008 at 3:44 PM

I will also note how all of a sudden the standard has shifted. It used to be that I was a Ruskie and thus had no idea of the US history, which was that the Democrats were racists.

Now, I don’t understand that the Republicans aren’t still racists.

I think we’re making progress.

P.S. I would never claim things aren’t improving.

freevillage on April 5, 2008 at 3:48 PM

Disgusting to see McCain groveling like that. He could simply say: I voted as I saw fit, though I later changed my mind (because I am, after all, a politician). It is a perfectly legitimate position to oppose the establishment of a paid Government holiday for MLKJr. How many blacks would love to get Robert E. Lee State holidays banned in the South? It is simply politics, fair and square.

Moreover, as radio talk show host Michael Savage pointed out on his show yesterday, not even George Washington or Abraham Lincoln have their own INDIVIDUAL Federal Holidays any longer (only the pathetic “Presidents’ Day”), making MLKJr the ONLY person with an INDIVIDUAL Federal Holiday named after him. How many people on this thread are going to take the position that this makes sense? Are you going to tell me that Martin Luther King, Jr, (who has some impressive accomplishments to his name, to be sure) was a GREATER man — and had a greater impact on this country’s history — than either Washington and Lincoln?

sanantonian on April 5, 2008 at 3:56 PM

VolMagic on April 5, 2008 at 3:09 PM

However the Republican party still used alot of code words which reassure the low-grade racists whilst not actually giving them anything. Granted this is not the same as the organized systematic racism of the Democratic party of the 60′s but in this day and age, it is still pretty damn bad.

Squid Shark on April 5, 2008 at 4:08 PM

Stop feeding the troll! It was obvious long ago that he has swallowed everything the left has fed him and chooses to ignore the facts about the racist liberals.

kongzilla on April 5, 2008 at 5:36 PM

Squid Shark on April 5, 2008 at 4:08 PM

Such as? States rights? Is that still a code word for racism?

Look, believe what you want. I don’t claim to know the hearts and minds of everyone in the GOP. Hell, Larry Craig appears to be a closet homosexual who goes trolling for sex in public bathrooms. I just think to smear the entire GOP is just as boneheaded as racists smearing an entire race.

VolMagic on April 5, 2008 at 5:36 PM

Boneheaded? Who are you calling boneheaded? You spineless twerp? Spineless twerp? I’ll show you spineless twerp, you dweeb meat bag. Meat bag? Did you call me a meat bag? You son of a shark. Hey, my mom is a shark, you rice farmer. Rice farmer? I don’t even like rice.

2Tru2Tru on April 5, 2008 at 5:54 PM

VolMagic on April 5, 2008 at 3:09 PM

However the Republican party still used alot of code words which reassure the low-grade racists whilst not actually giving them anything. Granted this is not the same as the organized systematic racism of the Democratic party of the 60’s but in this day and age, it is still pretty damn bad.

Squid Shark on April 5, 2008 at 4:08 PM

Ah, the “secret code words” argument. Because it’s just not possible those “code words” could have any other meaning besides racism, is it?

So the only reason people are concerned about the federal government trampling the power of the states is because they’re worried some black guy somewhere might be treated fairly for a change?

You’ve basically adopted liberal logic here, which is a bigger oxymoron than “military intelligence.”

Hey! Maybe I should just say you’ve adopted liberal “code words” for denigrating those who don’t agree with you as racists. I think I’d be closer to the truth than you are.

theregoestheneighborhood on April 5, 2008 at 6:40 PM

Squid Shark on April 5, 2008 at 2:09 P

Wow! Your post above is wrong on so many levels, it is hard to know where to begin, but I will say that it represents excellent “liberal Democratic” political analysis.

The fact of the matter is that — due to asinine policies (read: affirmative action) that truly ALIENATED many NON-RACIST hard-working, conservative whites (in BOTH the NORTH and the SOUTH) who had formerly voted Democratic — there was an entire block of voters ready to be appealed to by the Republicans, who wisely did so. I suppose you wish that the Dems had won the White House instead of Reagan? That is the logical implication of what you are saying.

Moreover, I personally can remember no “racist” policies proposed by the Republicans when they appealed to Conservative Southerners.

Oh, and those whites were not “disenfranchised,” just neglected by the Democratic Party and not very happy about it. I guess, according to your logic, the Republicans should have shunned these voters and remained a minority party in perpetuity in order to retain some sort of “moral purity.”

Finally, you clearly seem to imply that the bulk of the Southerners won over by the Republican Party were unsavory racists. That is such a despicable slander. If you can’t back it up with some documented statistics, you ought to apologize.

Calling you out for posting unadulterated BS.

sanantonian on April 5, 2008 at 7:12 PM

VolMagic on April 5, 2008 at 5:36 PM

Indeed, since I am a Republican, I clearly do not think that all Republicans are racist, however if you think that the old racists of the south are still living in the Democratic party, I submit that you are misguided at best, willfully ignorant at worst.

Squid Shark on April 5, 2008 at 7:37 PM

If you dont think that states righte means “the rights of the states to keep those lousy n-words where they belong” to some people within the party, you are living in a bubble.

I support states rights whole heartedly, so long as they do not trample on the rights a dignity of American Citizens.

States rights mean different things to different people, like the Confederate Flag (which I see not as a symbol of racism but a symbol of willful rebellion).

Without citing Robert Byrd, please cite any hard-core old school racist who stayed in the Democratic Party? We will be saddled with the effect of the Southern Strategy for the next few generations until the racists finally die off.

Squid Shark on April 5, 2008 at 7:43 PM

Squid Shark on April 5, 2008 at 7:37 PM

So, basically, all the racists in the south are republicans? Am i reading you right?

VolMagic on April 5, 2008 at 7:50 PM

And, furthermore, every Republican is implict in this, and o.k with it? Is that correct?

VolMagic on April 5, 2008 at 7:52 PM

Seriously dude, there is this thing called federalism. In our constitution, it is written that the National Government shall only have the powers that are ennumerated therein. All other rights and powers are reserved for the states and citizens.

I am a big believer in states rights because I don’t believe that the people of California should be forced to live according to the mores of the people of South Dakota, or vice versa.

I am a big believer in states rights because I don’t think the select few in Washington D.C. should be able to dictate to everyone in the country how to live.

I am a big believer in states rights because I believe that the best way for people to lve is according to their own self-governance.

You can claim that states rights just means keeping those “uppity black folks under the thumb of Jim Crow” but this is, at best, a very selective view of history and poltiical theory.

VolMagic on April 5, 2008 at 7:56 PM

Vol,

No I am not saying that. However, we made an active attempt to recruit the people who opposed civil rights when the black vote abandoned us completely. Remember, the Southern Strategy the desire to take that demographic away from the dems once and for all instead of them running off into the wilderness with the likes of George Wallace.

I am a Southerner, every guy I have ever seen who fears black people is a Republican, and local republican leaders (at least here) tell them everything they want to hear.

I would take a guess that you are from TN. Please dont think I am trying to smear the entirety of the white, southern voting block.

Squid Shark on April 5, 2008 at 7:57 PM

VolMagic on April 5, 2008 at 7:52 PM

No, you are trying to imply a generalization that does not exist because you do not want to face an ugly possibility.

Squid Shark on April 5, 2008 at 7:59 PM

Thanks for the civics lesson, dude. I am well aware of the Constitution and its entire intellectual family tree.

I made the argument that States Rights has come to mean one thing and one thing only to a fairly large group of people.

I challenge you to show me where I said anything of the sort. I said that that is what it means to some! Some who were actively sought after by our party!

Squid Shark on April 5, 2008 at 8:03 PM

Squid Shark on April 5, 2008 at 7:59 PM

I saw that you agreed with freevillage, who claimed that “every piece of racist filth in the south is welcome in the Republican Party”

I just thought that if you agreed with him then that is what you thought.

VolMagic on April 5, 2008 at 8:04 PM

a very selective view of history and poltiical theory.

VolMagic on April 5, 2008 at 7:56 PM

I submit that your belief that we did not recruit Jim Crow Democrats in the 70′s and 80′s if a “selective view of history and political theory” or “wishful thinking”

Squid Shark on April 5, 2008 at 8:05 PM

VolMagic on April 5, 2008 at 8:04 PM

Negative, I stated quite specifically on what points I agreed with FV on, that was not one of them.

Squid Shark on April 5, 2008 at 8:07 PM

Squid Shark on April 5, 2008 at 8:03 PM

Again, you are reaching into the history of the Party. Freevillage made the claim that the GOP still is a “refuge” for southern racists. He even has anecdotal evidence (which I don’t buy for a second cause any person running for elected office that uttered the phrase “n—– lover” in public hearing would have made national headlines for a week).

I don’t deny that racism was a part of all political parties at some time in the past. I just refuse to believe that in the present the GOP is the party of racists. Which is a posistion you endorsered when you agreed with freevillage.

VolMagic on April 5, 2008 at 8:08 PM

VolMagic on April 5, 2008 at 8:08 PM

Exactly my point, we are still dealing with the racist assbags we recruited 20 years ago.

Squid Shark on April 5, 2008 at 8:11 PM

Squid Shark on April 5, 2008 at 8:07 PM

I’m sorry then. I thought you were endorsing all of the positions of freevillage when you said you agreed with him. My apologies for hasty reading. I don’t disagree with your points about the past. I just transposed them on the current political climate and disagreed.

VolMagic on April 5, 2008 at 8:11 PM

Squid Shark on April 5, 2008 at 8:11 PM

20 years ago would have been 1988. Are you claiming that post Reagan GOP is racist ( or even contemporary Reagan GOP?)

VolMagic on April 5, 2008 at 8:15 PM

VolMagic on April 5, 2008 at 8:11 PM

Sokay, there are still local politicians in our party who do continue to make our lives difficult.

Squid Shark on April 5, 2008 at 8:15 PM

I would say that Reagan was part of the recruiting part of it but was in no way a racist himself.

Bringing racists into the party was a unforseen (or forseen I dont know) consequence of Reagans Souther Strategy.

Squid Shark on April 5, 2008 at 8:17 PM

Squid Shark on April 5, 2008 at 8:17 PM

Here I would just disagree with you. But without a dissertation length post I’m afraid I won’t be able to convince you of that. Ah well.

VolMagic on April 5, 2008 at 8:20 PM

I thought you were endorsing all of the positions of freevillage

Which are… ? With quotes, if possible.

freevillage on April 5, 2008 at 8:21 PM

VolMagic on April 5, 2008 at 8:20 PM

Fair enough, we are closer to understanding each other, this is good.

Squid Shark on April 5, 2008 at 8:23 PM

as long as we aren’t discussing public schools

tlynch001 on April 5, 2008 at 8:33 AM

LOL Don’t get me started.

Though the weird thing is, 30 years ago I got a very good education in most respects in our public school system … but I wouldn’t vouch for any of them today.

Rosmerta on April 6, 2008 at 12:36 AM

McCain was right to oppose the federal holiday in King’s honour. It should be Civil Rights Day, not Martin Luther King Day.

aengus on April 6, 2008 at 7:47 PM