Jackpot: Billary scores $109 mil since leaving office; Update: $20.4 million in 2007

posted at 4:35 pm on April 4, 2008 by Allahpundit

And so the long-awaited tax returns are duly dumped late on a Friday afternoon, when the media’s busy remembering MLK. Here’s the snapshot via Drudge but you’re better off with the summary at her campaign site, where the individual returns are posted. 31% went to the feds, 9.5% to charity (much of it, I assume, to BJ’s Global Initiative):

World Exclusive: 4/4/08 15:43:06 ET
2000-2007 Returns
Feds Taxes Paid: $33.7 million
Charity: $10.2 million
Her Senate Salary: $1,051,606
His Presidential Pension: $1,217,250
Her Book Income: $10,457,083
His Book Income: $29,580,525
His Speech Income: $51,855,599

That leaves $20 million momentarily unaccounted for, although it’s not hard to guess what sorts of activities generated it. An ex-president has influence to peddle, and a-peddling it he is.

[Senate ethics] disclosures do not require Sen. Clinton to fully report her husband’s income, which obscures the picture of how much the former president has made in his business dealings with longtime friends and fundraisers.

For example, an examination of the records reveals her husband is a partner in an investment fund, Yucaipa Global Partnership, registered in the Cayman Islands, and was paid “guaranteed payments to partner.” Sen. Clinton’s forms do not list the exact amount of her husband’s payments, only that they totaled more than $1,000 over four years.

“No average person has interest and funds in the Cayman Islands. This is all the above-average, non-tax-paying, super rich,” said Jack Blum, an attorney and leading expert on offshore tax havens.

Jay Carson, a spokesperson for Sen. Clinton’s presidential campaign, said the Yucaipa global fund was organized in the Cayman Islands to attract foreign investors. “Each investor or partner in the fund pays the taxes they owe in their home country. For U.S. citizens like Bill Clinton, that means he pays U.S. taxes on his income from this fund, which he does,” said Carson.

The Journal reported that he stands to make $20 million from “advising” Ron Burkle but Hillary’s spokesman disputes that, too.

Most of the scrutiny will be on the effective tax rate they’re paying but at first blush I’m struck by how little of their considerable fortune they’ve been willing to inject into her campaign given the shortfall vis-a-vis Obama. That $5 million loan got a lot of attention but it’s peanuts compared to what Romney (who, admittedly, is worth much more than they are) put into his campaign. If electing her president is their shared, all-consuming ambition, why so stingy? They’ll have a money machine on the lecture circuit for the rest of their lives no matter what happens. Go for broke.

Update: Comments from the Headlines item have been imported.

Update: No return yet for 2007, but here’s a snapshot from the PDF posted at the campaign site:

2007.jpg

That’s 20% of his speech income for the past eight seven years, all amassed during 12 months in which he’s been busy with the campaign. Having her run for president is good for business, I guess. Either that or the “fees” he’s paid are actually a backdoor way for major donors to make massive contributions to her campaign by paying him for “services.” But far be it from me to accuse the Clintons of a practice so shady.

Update: Cindy McCain may herself be worth $100 million, but her prenup with Maverick evidently keeps most of that in her name.

Update: Obama’s been donating more to charity as a percentage of his income over time — from one percent in 2004 to 4.7 percent in 2005 to 6.1 percent in 2006 — but he still lags behind Billary.

Comments

Damn, that’s a lot of money. The less-enlightened might think the Clintons have been doing business with corporations or something. Where’s the hope for real change in that ?

Blacksheep on April 4, 2008 at 3:55 PM

Drudge adds:

World Exclusive: 4/4/08 15:43:06 ET
2000-2007 Returns
Feds Taxes Paid: $33.7 million
Charity: $10.2 million

amerpundit on April 4, 2008 at 3:55 PM

Frankly, I’m impressed. 33m in taxes (so, they’re not shltering much) and 10m in charity. I honestly do not like either of them but ….

Onager on April 4, 2008 at 3:59 PM

Wow. Highest estimate I have heard until now was 80 million.

RushBaby on April 4, 2008 at 4:01 PM

One hundred nine million??

I wonder if all the people who donated to the Clinton’s legal defense fund feel like a right bunch of nit wits right now.

wise_man on April 4, 2008 at 4:05 PM

$109M IN INCOME
NOT “WORTH”

“Worth” would include investments, property, etc not included on income tax returns. To me, however, they are worthless.

Brat on April 4, 2008 at 4:08 PM

Whew DOGS! I want THAT gig!

tree hugging sister on April 4, 2008 at 4:08 PM

Drudge adds: Charity: $10.2 million

amerpundit on April 4, 2008 at 3:55 PM

I can’t find an actual link to that on Drudge or anywhere else. Did Bill donate to his own charity/foundation?

wise_man on April 4, 2008 at 4:10 PM

Brat above is correct. 109 million in income could mean they’re bankrupt. Don’t confuse income with worth. Maybe they spent it all, maybe they’re up to their ears in debt. Who knows.

JiangxiDad on April 4, 2008 at 4:12 PM

I can

RushBaby on April 4, 2008 at 4:15 PM

Congrats to Drudge on his World Exclusive:

Feds Taxes Paid: $33.7 million
Charity: $10.2 million
Her Senate Salary: $1,051,606
His Presidential Pension: $1,217,250
Her Book Income: $10,457,083
His Book Income: $29,580,525
His Speech Income: $51,855,599

RushBaby on April 4, 2008 at 4:16 PM

Yeah, they can relate with us.

Geronimo on April 4, 2008 at 4:17 PM

Drudge has an even better story now too:
“Woman dragged out of Hillary fundraiser screaming she was only black there…”

Politico has the story and audio

Brat on April 4, 2008 at 4:20 PM

More:

Her Senate Salary: $1,051,606
His Presidential Pension: $1,217,250
Her Book Income: $10,457,083
His Book Income: $29,580,525
His Speech Income: $51,855,599

amerpundit on April 4, 2008 at 4:20 PM

What was their estimated debt when they left the White House? $5 million-ish?

Also keep in mind, the $109 figure is probably pre-tax, pre-charitable giving. And the $33 million in federal taxes doesn’t include NYS taxes (which would be another $6-7 million). Another $5 million in loans made to this campaign, an assumption for their annual living expenses over the last seven years, and you’re down somewhere in the mid-40 million range.

That $50 million in speech income is the eye-popper though. That’s the detail we need to see, since this amount likely exceeds their current net worth and has therefore been all the more directly important to her funding her campaign with her “own money”.

flip on April 4, 2008 at 4:20 PM

Wow, that is 108,999,992.04 more than I am made for the same years. But, I didn’t do write a book, I would have done better if I had.
L

letget on April 4, 2008 at 4:21 PM

Sorry, RushBaby. I didn’t reload the page first.

amerpundit on April 4, 2008 at 4:21 PM

Been sayin’ it for years, now again I tell myself “I need to write a book.”

Brat on April 4, 2008 at 4:22 PM

Be nice if ol’ Bubba would pay back some of the millions in taxpayer $$$ that had to be spent in investigations by Ken Starr …because Clinton lied…

JetBoy on April 4, 2008 at 4:24 PM

Drudge adds: Charity: $10.2 million

amerpundit on April 4, 2008 at 3:55 PM

Welll…$8.8 million of that was in used clothing donations to the Salvation Army and the rest was to the Clinton Library.

Seriously, I realllly doubt that someone who “donates” like the Clintons have a history of doing really gave away 10.2 million in any meaningful sense. Unless it was to people who can benefit them in the future.

Some blogger right now is following the money on these donations and the results should be very interesting.

inviolet on April 4, 2008 at 4:24 PM

Seriously, I realllly doubt that someone who

wise_man on April 4, 2008 at 4:28 PM

Where is the eBay income from items stolen from the White House upon leaving?

Wade on April 4, 2008 at 4:28 PM

OT, but hilarious. I just heard a clip on Cavuto of Hillary calling herself “Paulette Revere” warning “the recession is coming, the recession is coming”.

I can’t wait to hear her State of the Union Address.

Buy Danish on April 4, 2008 at 4:30 PM

Unless it was to people who can benefit them in the future.

inviolet on April 4, 2008 at 4:24 PM

Yeah, same with all those pardons.

Brat on April 4, 2008 at 4:30 PM

Buy Danish on April 4, 2008 at 4:30 PM

Comedy gold!

She refined her stand up routine with a burqa joke and added her money woes:

“I was among the very first to speak out against the Taliban. … I was invited by the Taliban to visit [but I declined],” she said. “Some days I may think I want to wear a burqa, but I don’t want to do that.”

At the end of the event, the music played to usher people out, but Hillary stopped the music and implored the crowd to donate. I need your help. I’m being outspent,” she said.

Brat on April 4, 2008 at 4:36 PM

Feds Taxes Paid: $33.7 million

So 30-31% went to taxes? Yeah, the rich pay no taxes. I can tell.

amerpundit on April 4, 2008 at 4:37 PM

Their debts or net worth is of less interest than where the money genuinely originates.

Speaking fees is an easy way to obfuscate retroactive bribes which pretty much seems to be how retired politicians nowadays get their loot. Getting the payoff later where the contributor gets a tax deduction for channeling the funny money through a university or other “nonprofit” which then practically launders the money into the lucky politician’s pocket under the guise of honorariums.

viking01 on April 4, 2008 at 4:39 PM

Where

Entelechy on April 4, 2008 at 4:39 PM

Compassion.

Halley on April 4, 2008 at 4:39 PM

I feel their pain.

Brat on April 4, 2008 at 4:39 PM

What about income from stolen White Items?

Wade on April 4, 2008 at 4:42 PM

AP, please move comments from the headlines. Thanks,

Entelechy on April 4, 2008 at 4:42 PM

Ugh.

Does it say if Bill and Hill paid extra taxes each yr since the Bush tax cuts? Yeah… didn’t think so. Funny how how the rich people who want higher taxes never actually pay what they think they should be paying.

Hypocrites.

Gartrip on April 4, 2008 at 4:43 PM

Senate salary a million plus? Doesn’t the POTUS only make $400,000?

SpencerFan on April 4, 2008 at 4:44 PM

Senate salary a million plus?

That’s over eight years, dude.

Allahpundit on April 4, 2008 at 4:47 PM

Senate salary a million plus? Doesn’t the POTUS only make $400,000?

That’s a mill over the entire 7 year period.

BuzzCrutcher on April 4, 2008 at 4:47 PM

Who says crime doesn’t pay.

cjs1943 on April 4, 2008 at 4:47 PM

Gee, you’d think that would be enough to pay the “little people” whose family businesses provide services to her campaign on credit.

Guess not.

Cicero43 on April 4, 2008 at 4:49 PM

I’ve been searching for a link to Hillary berating companies that go offshore to avoid US taxes, but the only thing I could find is her recent rebuke of companies that outsource.

Does anyone else remember Hillary or Bill making comments about how evil corporations who do this should be punished?

wise_man on April 4, 2008 at 4:51 PM

I’m sure the Saudi contributions to the Presdential Library/Massage Parlor/Whorehouse/Money Laundry operation add their the available assets.

Right_of_Attila on April 4, 2008 at 4:53 PM

His Speech IncomeKickback for political favors: $51,855,599

Fixed.

I don’t know if anyone has mentioned it yet, but this report doesn’t include Clinton’s presidential library.

29Victor on April 4, 2008 at 4:55 PM

109 Million? When I heard that I threw my book bag across the room.

RobCon on April 4, 2008 at 4:56 PM

Entelechy on April 4, 2008 at 4:39 PM

Sublime.

RushBaby on April 4, 2008 at 4:58 PM

Hope they paid off their lawyers then.

Spirit of 1776 on April 4, 2008 at 4:59 PM

I don’t see what the big deal is. Now that she released them, it’s a big so what. He makes speeches and earns money (who wouldn’t? in a similar situation).

I’m just surprised that their fed tax payments are so high. Usually people earning that much coin hide it. Clintons aren’t. Charitable contributions higher than Obama – for whatever that matters.

lorien1973 on April 4, 2008 at 5:00 PM

If Rove were as powerful as the Lib’tards think he is, he’d make GWB force an IRS on these people… Geez… these 2 are criminals.

Gartrip on April 4, 2008 at 5:05 PM

He makes speeches and earns money (who wouldn’t? in a similar situation).

lorien1973 on April 4, 2008 at 5:00 PM

Nothing to see, move along. Who cares is 20 million or so in unaccounted for? No biggie.

Buy Danish on April 4, 2008 at 5:07 PM

lorien1973
on April 4, 2008 at 5:00 PM

They’ve made/earned $109 million …. in 7 years …. and Feds Taxes Paid: $33.7 million …. in 7 years. That’s 4.81 million in taxes paid on 15.57 million per year. What’s the typical tax bracket for people earning about 16 million a year? It’s hard to quantify what is a high or low amount when you are not earning 16 million a year.

wise_man on April 4, 2008 at 5:10 PM

Buy Danish on April 4, 2008 at 5:07 PM

The returns were just released. You are reading some highlights. Give it a day or so. Whatever that unaccounted for sum is, it’ll show up. They are tax returns afterall. But given what you’ve seen so far. Does anything bug you? Certainly doesn’t bug me. Cash in on Bill’s success. It’s America.

I’d care a lot more if the Clinton’s didnt pay such a large tax bill and they hid their income like many others do who claim to love exorbitant rates.

lorien1973 on April 4, 2008 at 5:10 PM

Whatever that unaccounted for sum is, it’ll show up.

Yeah, when I said the money is unaccounted for, I only meant that no one’s looked through the returns yet. Didn’t mean that it was “missing.”

Allahpundit on April 4, 2008 at 5:11 PM

wise_man on April 4, 2008 at 5:10 PM

Actually, my point was that many people who earn large sums of money tend to hide the income overseas. Remember Mick Jagger a few years back – it was found out he stashed away a lot of his income in Bermuda or something. While he advocated higher tax rates at home. Same with Bono and others. Buffet did the same, I believe. He donated billions of dollars to Gates’ foundation to get around paying inheritance taxes on the money that was left.

Clintons, apparently, are not doing such things. They are paying what is required.

lorien1973 on April 4, 2008 at 5:12 PM

her prenup with Maverick

I’m not gonna say somebody who endured more torture than I could ever fathom in the darkest parts of my brain is a beta…but he is very whipped.

malan89 on April 4, 2008 at 5:13 PM

no wonder billyjeff wont divorce her

custer on April 4, 2008 at 5:14 PM

It’s listed that they have investments in Yucaipa Global Partnership, registered in the Cayman Islands, lorien1973.

Who knows what else they have out there that’s not on paper.

wise_man on April 4, 2008 at 5:15 PM

wise_man on April 4, 2008 at 5:15 PM

Their income shows 109 million. Taxes 31 million or whatever. If they are hiding large sums of money in The caymans, they are doing a really poor job of it. I’m sure its not knowable what their investment total is there; but if they were trying to hide it; they aren’t as smart as everyone thinks. I do better at hiding parts of my income every year :/.

lorien1973 on April 4, 2008 at 5:17 PM

More on Yucaipa Global Partnership. It’s tied in with Chinese companies.

When billionaire Ronald Burkle’s Yucaipa investment operation agreed to put more than $25 million into a Chinese media company this fall, the investor group didn’t include one of Yucaipa’s high-profile partners: former President Bill Clinton.

The absence of Mr. Clinton from Yucaipa’s investment in Xinhua Finance Media Ltd. appears to be the first tangible sign of a parting in the much-followed, five-year-old business relationship between Messrs. Clinton and Burkle. Mr. Clinton has been a senior adviser at Yucaipa and also had a financial interest in certain investments there.

But this week, Mr. Clinton indicated he plans to curtail his ties to Yucaipa should his wife, Hillary Clinton, win the Democratic presidential nomination. This follows a disclosure by the Clintons in June that they had sold millions of dollars of stocks to avoid situations — like the one that a China-related investment might raise — that could pose problems for Mrs. Clinton’s campaign.

This week, in response to a report that a breakup between Messrs. Clinton and Burkle had already occurred, a Clinton spokesman said the former president hadn’t severed his ties to Yucaipa. But the spokesman said there would be an “appropriate transition” of Mr. Clinton’s Yucaipa investment if Mrs. Clinton becomes her party’s candidate. As part of his Yucaipa arrangement, Mr. Clinton has had the right to opt out of individual investments and he chose not to participate in the Xinhua deal, said a person familiar with the matter. It wasn’t clear whether Mr. Clinton had ever opted out of any other Yucaipa investment.

His relationship with Yucaipa began in 2002.

One reason Mr. Clinton might have chosen to stay in the Yucaipa arrangement as long as he has is to be able to receive profits from some of the Yucaipa deals that have recently come to fruition. Based on Mr. Clinton’s arrangement with Yucaipa, waiting for such profits could have brought millions of dollars to the Clintons.

In required financial disclosure forms for the Senate, Mrs. Clinton reported that her husband also had a partnership interest in a third Yucaipa fund, called Yucaipa Global Opportunities Fund I LLC. In those statements, Mrs. Clinton disclosed that her husband’s interest in that partnership was paying him more than $1,000 a year.

amerpundit on April 4, 2008 at 5:19 PM

I agree that many who earn millions will try to tax shelter it. Nothing new or necessarily wrong with that. Within limits. The key term there is “earned” and whenever one talks of the quid pro quo specialists and scam artists like the Clintoon’s the specifics of that term “earned” becomes debatable. How much does a pardon “earn” Bubba seven years later?

viking01 on April 4, 2008 at 5:22 PM

And all those oil executives making money off the backs of the common people…they all drink from the same trough…us!

right2bright on April 4, 2008 at 5:23 PM

force an IRS on these people

Why not? They used the IRS for political purposes when they were co-POTUS.

jgapinoy on April 4, 2008 at 5:25 PM

Did they declare the income from renting out the Lincoln bedroom?

jgapinoy on April 4, 2008 at 5:27 PM

I now see why Hillary wants to go after the oil company profits so bad… jealousy/envy.

Zetterson on April 4, 2008 at 5:37 PM

Maybe the Clintons should have to explain their huge profits to a Congressional Committee? Oh right, that’s just the oil companies. My bad.

Jim-Rose on April 4, 2008 at 5:47 PM

Allahpundit on April 4, 2008 at 5:11 PM

I’m referring to this (which I may have falsely assumed accounts for the $20 million that is not specifically accounted for).

and

And

Will we be privy to the amounts and source of this income?

Buy Danish on April 4, 2008 at 5:54 PM

$500,000 in interest income from savings account, at 5% interest, that means they would have $10,000,000.00 in a savings account.

WoosterOh on April 4, 2008 at 5:59 PM

As long as pigs can feed off the public trough, the public trough will attract pigs.

We can limit income of private industry CEO’s, AFTER we limit incomes of politicians (and Hollywood/MSM celebs, trial lawyers, sports figures, union bosses).

petefrt on April 4, 2008 at 6:10 PM

The unaccounted $20 million will probably be specified the moment Mark Rich and Charlie Trie give their consent. A press conference for those revelations is currently scheduled for the 12th of Never.

viking01 on April 4, 2008 at 6:21 PM

viking01 on April 4, 2008 at 4:39 PM

I could not agree more. Speaking fees are nothing but payment for services rendered while an elected official of our Government.

It disgusts me that our politicians are for sale to the highest bidder and their tax returns prove it.

I wonder how much the Clinton’s have hidden in Lichtenstein or other off shore bank accounts that will never be reported on their tax returns. My guess is about 10 times what they reported.

To this day, Lichtenstein,will not cooperate with the US Government on any IRS, criminal investigations or money laundering cases and pays the highest interest rates in the world on private numbered bank accounts.

Maybe that is why Bill Clinton spends so much time in Europe, probably making numerous cash deposits of his ill gotten wealth.

The Clinton’s have committed more crimes than Al Capone and history will record they made more money than any other single political family in recorded history off the backs of the American taxpayers.

ScottyDog on April 4, 2008 at 6:52 PM

This is chump change for them. The real money is being stashed in his foundation. As any one with a foundation will tell you that is where the game is played. It’s the fountain head of favors. The nexus of of the machine. The place where you will never get to look.

The amazing thing is all this income was earned in what they call a “shitty” economic background as Bush and company ran the world into the ground! What a bunch of frauds……

patrick neid on April 4, 2008 at 7:03 PM

Seriously, does anyone care how much Bill and Hillary Clinton have?

Why should I care?

For me, it’s irrelevant.

It’s like Jerry Springer’s ‘Final Thought.’

Indy Conservative on April 4, 2008 at 7:03 PM

Gee, Albert Gore makes the clintons look like pikers, as far as reportd income goes.

I think it was reported here at HotAir a few weeks ago: (Maybe it was FR or Lucianne); that Gore is bringing $150 million per year now… Scamming the Global Warming true believers (and Jesse Jackson style blackmailing of corporations who should know better) has got to be the biggest world wide con in history…. Even when adjusted for inflation.

LegendHasIt on April 4, 2008 at 7:07 PM

Gee, and people wonder why she ” Stuck by her man “. It’s because shes used to a certain lifestyle.

tx2654 on April 4, 2008 at 7:35 PM

They [Clintons] used the IRS for political purposes when they were co-POTUS.

Never happen under Bush II. New tone. We’re all Club Members.

Feedie on April 4, 2008 at 9:11 PM

$109 million? I guess that makes the going rate for pardons somewhere in the neighborhood of $778,571 each. Heckuva deal.

Texas Rainmaker on April 4, 2008 at 9:41 PM

Wow! She must be back in the Cattle Futures Market again.

Dr. Charles G. Waugh on April 4, 2008 at 10:03 PM

I call on Sen. Clinton to return her senatorial salary since she doesn’t do much senatorial work.

diogenes on April 4, 2008 at 10:22 PM

Nice work if yo can get it

EricPWJohnson on April 5, 2008 at 12:48 AM

People, I detest the Clintons politically as much as most here. However, I’m involved in charitable work in Africa and know for a fact that the Clinton Foundation does some pretty good work there. And ten percent of $109 million ain’t chump change. How many of the rest here donate 10% or more? (I did 15% last year, throwing in some field work in Uganda as well).

Their charitable work (primarily by Bill, likely from guilt about doing nothing about Rwanda) cannot be faulted, no matter what their innumerable other sins may be.

michaelo on April 5, 2008 at 1:34 AM

UPDATE: The interesting part, of course, is the roughly $18 million that the summary doesn’t account for. Most of (or all of) the money donated to charities went to the Clinton foundation. Millions upon millions paid to BJ for speaking engagements; interesting…

Keemo on April 5, 2008 at 9:08 AM

michaelo on April 5, 2008 at 1:34 AM

I cannot believe people like you rationalize the criminal behavior of the Clinton’s because they spent a few bucks on charity work.
Are you so naive that you do not realize that they sold the American taxpayer out to “earn” that 109 million? I guess you would rationalize a bank robber that gave to Africa charity too.

Have you forgotten that Bill Clinton sold our nuclear secrets to the Communist Chinese that cost the American taxpayer trillions to develop for a couple of million in bribes to the Clinton Campaign. This has allowed the Communist Chinese to leapfrog and back engineer nuclear weapons that would have cost them trillions to develop and they have now reached parity with us.

Do a google on Loral Space Systems, Charlie Tree and John Chung.
According to your argument it is all justified because they used the bribe money to fund a charity program in Africa.

When you see a mushroom cloud over a major American city remind me how charitable the Clintons were in Africa.

ScottyDog on April 5, 2008 at 1:44 PM