Left confirms: Everything McCain says or does has a secret racist subtext; Update: Electing Obama could slow racial progress, says … Hillary supporter

posted at 2:47 pm on April 2, 2008 by Allahpundit

What other reason could an old man have for his “biography tour,” one obviously designed to instill in white voters a sense of nostalgia for Jim Crow ahead of the showdown with Obama? Ahem.

There’s not much meat left on the bone now that Karl’s finished devouring this so let me offer one of his table scraps:

I must admit that I am vaguely disappointed in Stoller and Yglesias for not being paranoid enough in playing the race card. McCain’s biographical speeches are very much about the father-son relationship. To fully reverse race-bait, Stoller and Yglesias should have claimed McCain’s father-centrism is a subtly-coded contrast with Obama’s black absentee father. After all, if you are going to be nitwit, don’t be a half-wit about it.

Don’t forget, his last ad dealt with his high school honor code. An oblique attempt to spark a glint of remembrance of any other “codes” in the minds of septuagenarians? The question answers itself, my friends.

What you’re seeing here is the extension into left-wing punditry of the Obama campaign strategy described by TNR, in which the Messiah himself remains a beacon of post-racial promise while his more cretinous spokesman race-bait the hell out of anyone in their way. The reason Yglesias and Stoller — “respectable” left-wing intellectuals, mind you — are willing to resort to an argument this feeble is because no one inside McCain’s tent has said anything offensive thus far (on the contrary) and they’re chomping at the bit to get this meme rolling. Their best bet was Bill Cunningham’s “Barack Hussein Obama” idiocy, for which Cunningham was duly criticized by McCain and for which McCain was duly criticized by Josh Marshall under the new “you’re responsible for everything your side says no matter how quickly you denounce it” principle — which, curiously, didn’t apply to Obama vis-a-vis Jeremiah Wright. Exit question: How is it that the left is able to detect alleged subtexts as subtle as this or the darkening of Obama’s skin in that Hillary ad, and yet cheering on a cartoonishly racist preacher for 20 years somehow ends up as no biggie?

Update: Here you go. Loads of black-and-white footage. QED.

Update: Coming from a black Hillary supporter, this’ll earn a few grumbles from the left. Coming from a black McCain supporter, it’d warrant saturation coverage on nutroots blogs. I think electing Obama would be good for race relations, sufficiently so that I regard it as the chief consolation prize if he wins, but I saw a video a few weeks ago by a black YouTube user making the same points Cleaver’s making here. The racial aftereffects of his election aren’t a reason to vote for or against him since we can’t know what they’ll be, but it’s an interesting subject:

Following up on remarks he made to the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation in which he described Obama as a “mediocre” orator, Cleaver said he thought the Illinois senator will win the Democratic presidential nomination, but that doesn’t mean the work will be done trying to improve race relations in America.

“I think whites would say, ‘How could anybody say we were racist, that we have any racist residue when you look what we just did (potentially electing Obama)?’ And African Americans would say, ‘Look at what we just did. So now we ought to have unblocked access to all of our dreams, all of our hopes,’” Cleaver said.

“And I think there would be great disappointment when they saw some issue of race surfacing. It would be like, ‘Oh my goodness. I thought we were past that.’”

Comments

I am so sick of the Race Card.

PBoilermaker on April 2, 2008 at 2:50 PM

‘Cause they have no principles, AP. They utter the first slander that comes to mind and don’t give a shit if it’s even remotely true or not.

BacaDog on April 2, 2008 at 2:51 PM

McCain…Cain and Able, easy to figure out…it is all so obvious. McCain was brainwashed to be a racist.
Here is a man beaten and tortured for 5 years, and holds no ill will towards the Vietnamese people…but a black man, they going to pay.
What has happened to common sense???

right2bright on April 2, 2008 at 2:52 PM

You’re implicitly criticizing The Obamassiah, you racist.

/sarcasm.

rbj on April 2, 2008 at 2:52 PM

If you see racism everywhere you look, you might be a racist.

Pablo on April 2, 2008 at 2:53 PM

“If you see racism everywhere you look, you might be a racist.”

Or just really stupid. With a need for someone to blame when the consequences of your stupid decisions, sting you.

NoDonkey on April 2, 2008 at 2:55 PM

As much as this might be played against McCain by Obamamaniacs, it’s nothing compared to the racial accusations McCain will face if Hillary gets the nomination.

Remember, Obama already has the African-American voted cemented in November if he wins the nomination. If Hillary manages to swipe it away, she faces the prospect of millions of blacks who supported Obama sitting it out in the general election unless the alternative of not voting for her is a disaster at the Holocaust level. So as awful as something like the James Byrd dragging death ad against George W. Bush was in 2000, it’s nothing compared to what McCain would be portrayed as, in an effort by Hillary’s people to scare African-Americans to the polls.

jon1979 on April 2, 2008 at 3:00 PM

Must we focus on racism alone? Can’t we focus on racist marxism?

saved on April 2, 2008 at 3:00 PM

Left confirms: Everything McCain says or does has a secret racist subtext

Stop the presses!! Of course the left-tards would say such a thing, first they’re desperate to get back into the Whitehouse and have no problem using the race/victim card whenever anyone disagrees with their views or agenda, secondly they have a vested interest in keeping the “minorities are always victims” and “racism” cards in play as they would be out of business if they didn’t perpetuate the whole “evil white racists” and the “if you’re a minority then you’re a victim” mentality!

Liberty or Death on April 2, 2008 at 3:01 PM

No matter what McCain does it will be racist, thank you Mr Obama

KBird on April 2, 2008 at 3:01 PM

If a lie is repeated often enough, some people will believe it. The drumbeat begins…

JustTruth101 on April 2, 2008 at 3:01 PM

AP,

Thanks for the Protein Wisdom link, as always!

As Jeff Goldstein would say, “BECAUSE OF THE HYPOCRISY!!!”

Karl on April 2, 2008 at 3:07 PM

If Hillary manages to swipe it away, she faces the prospect of millions of blacks who supported Obama sitting it out in the general election…

jon1979

If that happens, Republicans should call the Democrat party RAAACIST! Drag out the history of the Democrats (KKK), and (if we can’t make them vote Republican right away), remove them the Democrat party forever.

From The Heritage.

Agrippa2k on April 2, 2008 at 3:10 PM

White people are by definition racist. Don’t you guys know anything?

Bob's Kid on April 2, 2008 at 3:13 PM

I really don’t see how the race card will be effective against McCain.

For one thing, the MSM has been carrying his water for years. NOW they find out he’s a racist?

The only people who will believe that are people who are solidly in Obama’s camp in the first place. Few people who were inclined to vote for McCain in the first place, are not going to be swayed over to the Obama camp.

Especially if Obama does nothing to disavow the attacks.

Attacking McCain as a racist will produce more votes for him than against him. Obama needs middle and lower class white votes to win, these people are not going to be swayed by hysterical charges of “racist”.

NoDonkey on April 2, 2008 at 3:14 PM

So, they want to give McCain the “white guilt” trip…

This is going to backfire. Big Time.

newton on April 2, 2008 at 3:17 PM

I am always amazed at how cowardly Republicans have become.

You better believe there are black Republicans. We need a new Frederick Douglass to crush the Democrat race-pimps.

From The Heritage. Skip to 13:30 past the introduction. Emancipation Revelation Revolution.

God Bless America!!

Agrippa2k on April 2, 2008 at 3:18 PM

Emancipation Revelation Revolution

Agrippa2k on April 2, 2008 at 3:19 PM

If this keeps up, I’m going to have to free my slaves.

OhEssYouCowboys on April 2, 2008 at 3:23 PM

If this keeps up, I’m going to have to free my slaves.

OhEssYouCowboys

You have slaves? You must be a Democrat.

Agrippa2k on April 2, 2008 at 3:26 PM

You have slaves? You must be a Democrat.

Agrippa2k on April 2, 2008 at 3:26 PM

You don’t understand, I’m a “typical white person.”

OhEssYouCowboys on April 2, 2008 at 3:28 PM

You don’t understand, I’m a “typical white person.”

OhEssYouCowboys

So you ARE a Democrat!

Agrippa2k on April 2, 2008 at 3:29 PM

So you ARE a Democrat!

Agrippa2k on April 2, 2008 at 3:29 PM

In the words of the great, Daffy Duck:

“Letssssssssssssth try thissssssssssth, again.

If this keeps up, I’m going to have to free my slaves.

OhEssYouCowboys on April 2, 2008 at 3:33 PM

If this keeps up, I’m going to have to free my slaves.

OhEssYouCowboys

So you are a Democrat?…

Agrippa2k on April 2, 2008 at 3:34 PM

I KNEW IT !!! In the ad, there is a flash of a John Paul Jones memorial/gravestone? From Wikipedia on Jones:

“For the next several years he sailed aboard a number of different British merchant and !!!!! SLAVER !!!!! ships…”

Even though Jones soon quit because he “became disgusted with the cruelty in the slave trade…” we know what McCain is trying to convey in code!

eeyore on April 2, 2008 at 3:34 PM

I am so sick of the Race Card.

PBoilermaker on April 2, 2008 at 2:50 PM

Amen. We are all one human race.

Red Pill on April 2, 2008 at 3:35 PM

So you are a Democrat?…

Agrippa2k on April 2, 2008 at 3:34 PM

You don’t understand, I’m a “typical white person.”

OhEssYouCowboys on April 2, 2008 at 3:35 PM

Please, let’s no forget this sterling example – they have special glasses designed to spot and conjure up subtle GOP racism of course.

Topsecretk9 on April 2, 2008 at 3:36 PM

“I’m a “typical white person.”

Racist.

Unless you vote for Obama.

Then you’re a racist who voted for Obama. Congratulations.

NoDonkey on April 2, 2008 at 3:36 PM

Dude, where are the modern day Frederick Douglasses? “God Damn the America” that has no torch bearers with the wisdom of Frederick Douglass.

gabriel sutherland on April 2, 2008 at 3:36 PM

The question answers itself, my friends.

Correct version:

The question answers itself, “my friends”.

There are no more “codes” in this “unity”, “change” and “hope” PC and non-racist environment. Even AP steals words now. Hillary steals from Ronald Reagan. Allahpundit steals from John McCain.

Kumbaya – we’re all equal now.

Entelechy on April 2, 2008 at 3:37 PM

These guys have figured out McCain’s secret. Cindy and Meghan McCain lighten their hair just to excentuate the contrast with Michael. And McCain, sinister b@stard that he is, adopted his daughter Bridget from Bangladesh just mock Obama for being bi-racial. It’s all clear to me now.

But two can play at this game. I say that every photo op of Barry playing b-ball is an attempt to remind voters that John McCain can’t raise his arms over his head.

Vote Sauron 08 on April 2, 2008 at 3:37 PM

gabriel sutherland

“I am a Republican, a black, dyed in the wool Republican, and I never intend to belong to any other party than the party of freedom and progress.” – Frederick Douglas

Agrippa2k on April 2, 2008 at 3:41 PM

If this keeps up, I’m going to have to free my slaves.

OhEssYouCowboys on April 2, 2008 at 3:23 PM

We need to do some digging into history..

Obama, may be in the unique position of saying that his family owned slaves in America and sold in them from Africa.. :\

Maybe he should give all his Money away, to descendants of slaves.

Chakra Hammer on April 2, 2008 at 3:41 PM

Chakra Hammer

I’ll go you one better. Africans (Muslims) captured and sold most of the slaves (and still do). I would not be surprised if a member of his family is involved in the slave trade TODAY.

Agrippa2k on April 2, 2008 at 3:44 PM

I think it was Matt Stoller who pointed out recently that the candidate with the more impressive military record lost in 1992 and 1996 and 2000

In 2000? Stoller thinks gore hanging out in Saigon for four months stoned is more impressive (or dangerous) then flying jets? I guess algore could have been knifed by an angry hooker.

peacenprosperity on April 2, 2008 at 3:45 PM

Maybe he should give all his Money away, to descendants of slaves.

Chakra Hammer on April 2, 2008 at 3:41 PM

Obamafuscation would pay all reparations to himself. Surely, that would be a tax write-off.

OhEssYouCowboys on April 2, 2008 at 3:47 PM

Not that I’m a big fan of McCain, or anything, but once, just once, I’d like to see him unload big time on these race baiting liberal clowns. I’d have a lot more respect for him, and I think it would end this race BS. At least for an hour or two.

jdawg on April 2, 2008 at 3:49 PM

Agrippa2k on April 2, 2008 at 3:44 PM

I was talking with a guy from the Sudan, at the gas station a few years ago(really nice guy), and we were talking about his home county(it was brought up because he has scars on his forehead and I asked him about the scars.. they turned out to be a tribal thing) anyhow.. he said, American Blacks complain to much, slavery still exists in Africa and they they should quit complaining and worry about the people that are still suffering from slavery and oppression today.

Chakra Hammer on April 2, 2008 at 3:49 PM

Kenya is a source, transit, and destination country for men, women, and children trafficked for the purposes of forced labor and commercial sexual exploitation. Kenyan children are trafficked within the country for domestic servitude, street vending, agricultural labor, and commercial sexual exploitation, including involvement in the coastal sex tourism industry.

Agrippa2k on April 2, 2008 at 3:50 PM

Somehow, I get the sense that if Obama’s elected president we’ll see more, rather than less, racism-gotcha-itis.

deesine on April 2, 2008 at 3:51 PM

When was the last time you heard Obama mention modern slavery (just like the old fashioned slavery).

I’ve heard much more from that white guy President Bush, and his black pawn Condi rice.

Agrippa2k on April 2, 2008 at 3:52 PM

deesine

If Obama is elected we will see REAL racism. That is treatment that holds that black people are genetically inferior.

When the first Arab leader won’t shake his hand, and we get another episode of the Osama&Z show, calling him an “apostate”, etc. – expect liberal dissonance.

Agrippa2k on April 2, 2008 at 3:56 PM

Clearly we need to have a Conversation about this. A National Conversation.

SlimyBill on April 2, 2008 at 3:56 PM

I am white and hate most white politicians and journalists. Am I a racist or what?

trs on April 2, 2008 at 3:59 PM

“Oh my goodness. I thought we were past that.’”

I was, but all these black racists keep bringing it up….

Seven Percent Solution on April 2, 2008 at 4:16 PM

Bullseye, Allah — but I would add “with the Messiah’s blessing and plausible deniability.”

My hope is that the race-baiting cretins will push the media too far. After all, the gray lady felt all warm and fuzzy when they gave a fraud like Jayson Blair a job for which he was unqualified, and yeah, they got stung — but they sure as heck wouldn’t have elected him chairman of the board.

Nichevo on April 2, 2008 at 4:16 PM

Amen. We are all one human race.

Red Pill on April 2, 2008 at 3:35 PM

Except the democrats of course.

Grayson on April 2, 2008 at 4:22 PM

Everyone is jumping the gun here…I happen to know, that in the 5 years of captivity and torture, McCain had a black man cleaning his cell (I don’t have pictures, but prove it didn’t happen), if he would have had shoes, the black man would have polished them…also a little known fact, fewer black men came out of captivity then white men in VietNam…and McCain never had a black man as a cell mate in VietNam.
This is all the proof the left needs to show he is a racist.

right2bright on April 2, 2008 at 4:22 PM

Amen. We are all one human race.
Red Pill on April 2, 2008 at 3:35 PM
Grayson on April 2, 2008 at 4:22 PM

But some are “more equal” then others…animal farm

right2bright on April 2, 2008 at 4:24 PM

Ah crap! Sick of race, and all this content of the character stuff. Everybody just vote for the person most like yourself.

JiangxiDad on April 2, 2008 at 4:40 PM

But two can play at this game. I say that every photo op of Barry playing b-ball is an attempt to remind voters that John McCain can’t raise his arms over his head white men can’t jump!

Vote Sauron 08 on April 2, 2008 at 3:37 PM

I thought I would make the above post more palatable to the left…after all it’s more then ok to point out the shortcomings (no pun intended) and faults of “evil white racists” but don’t you dare say anything about the shortcomings or faults of anyone of color because that would be racist!

Liberty or Death on April 2, 2008 at 5:17 PM

Chakra Hammer on April 2, 2008 at 3:49 PM

Excellent point, it goes right along with the example of some of those born here in the US and growing up truly free can so easily spit on freedom because they don’t have a clue what it is like to not have freedom…

Liberty or Death on April 2, 2008 at 5:24 PM

I am so sick of the Race Card.

PBoilermaker on April 2, 2008 at 2:50 PM

Tell me about it.

Funny thing; I would guess that more keystrokes about race, particularly about the woes and travails of being white in contemporary America, have been typed here at HotAir than the total number of all the attendees of all the marches on the Mall in Washington DC in the past century.

Republicans are naturally defensive about race after being miscast by the media and Dems for so long. But when one gets too defensive, he can get all weird and unable to let things go, until he snaps out of it. I think it happens to a lot of divorced dads after being dejected by the courts, wife, kids and dog. I think it probably happens to almost every white American at some point in their lives.

Man overboard!

Upon consideration of the fact that I just spoke on behalf of all white Americans, I think I’m officially done for the day.

The Race Card on April 2, 2008 at 5:36 PM

I am not sick of The Race Card, our HA commenter. In fact, I love The Race Card.

But please, TRC, you don’t speak for me, and probably for millions of Whites in the U.S., and you know that.

I don’t believe all Blacks are the same, just as there aren’t any groups which get lumped together.

May uniqueness and independent thinking some day prevail, independent of all other human traits. It’s my ultimate, yes Utopian, wish.

Entelechy on April 2, 2008 at 7:13 PM

For one thing, the MSM has been carrying her water for years. NOW they find out she’s a congenital liar?

drunyan8315 on April 2, 2008 at 7:28 PM

Entelechy on April 2, 2008 at 7:13 PM

Choke me in the shallow water ‘fore I get too deep…

The Race Card on April 2, 2008 at 8:27 PM

I thought we were past that.

That’s what I’ve been telling myself for years. The problem is there are too many people who aren’t “past that”, so they keep trying to make an issue out of it. As a white man, I don’t care what color or sex the next president is. All I care about is what they bring to the office. If Obama was white, I still wouldn’t vote for him. If Hillary was a man, I still wouldn’t vote for him. If McCain was a black woman, I’d vote for her over the other two.

taznar on April 2, 2008 at 8:32 PM

Choke me in the shallow water ‘fore I get too deep…
The Race Card on April 2, 2008 at 8:27 PM

…and you thought you were “officially done for the day” :)

All they need to do is put you and I in charge, and we’ll solve it. Please don’t go away for too extended a time. Best regards,

Entelechy on April 2, 2008 at 9:11 PM

All my racial sins are expunged, we have elected a black governor here in Mass. We are no longer required to vote for Osamabama in order to prove we’re not racists anymore.

It’s so liberating,…(the money flying from my wallet to support his social experiments and) and exciting…(in a very scary way as he lets all the criminals go free and doesn’t try to catch the ones commitiing crimes now)

“Together We Can” hope for change to the audatious, audacity of hoping and changing!

Alden Pyle on April 2, 2008 at 10:07 PM

I am so sick of the Race Card.

Who you got at Hialeah in the third?

MSimon on April 3, 2008 at 11:24 AM

Everybody just vote for the person most like yourself.

Well I’m Naval Nuclear Power trained. I voted for Jimmy Carter. ’nuff sad.

MSimon on April 3, 2008 at 11:30 AM