Hanoi Jane backs Obama

posted at 9:20 pm on April 2, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

Good news or bad news? Jane Fonda, the anti-war activist that some believe should have been tried for treason for her propaganda efforts on behalf of the North Vietnamese government, told reporters that she backs Barack Obama in the presidential race:

Jane Fonda, the actress and ardent anti-Vietnam war advocate who visited North Vietnam during those hostilities, has endorsed Democrat Barack Obama for president.

There were no formal ceremonies for the endorsement. In fact, the Obama campaign may just be learning about the actress’s approval now as word spreads like lit gunpowder via the Internet. …

Many people question the value of celebrity endorsements, whether they actually attract anything other than simply more publicity, not to mention votes. The imprimatur of Fonda, who’s been an antiwar activist for decades, certainly supports Obama’s anti-war credentials.

Less examined is whether some celebrity endorsements may actually cost a candidate votes. This could be one of those less desirable votes for part of the country, especially if Obama was hoping to attract some crossover Republicans if he’s the Democratic candidate come fall.

On the plus side, it brings Hollywood closer to the likely Democratic nominee. On the minus side, it helps paint Barack Obama as a far-left candidate, and suggests that his flirtation with William Ayers and Bernadette Dohrn wasn’t just a one-off brush with radicalism. Overall, this may be a public endorsement that Obama might not promote too heavily.

In fact, Obama’s campaign will probably keep their heads down and hope this passes quickly. McCain’s narrative as a Vietnam War POW who suffered torture while Fonda gave his captors photo-ops will resonate even further if she takes to the stump on Obama’s behalf. Her presence would draw connections between Obama’s anti-war supporters and the radicals — like Ayers and Dohrn — of Fonda’s generation. While that might thrill the MoveOn crowd, it will likely lose Obama the heartland, independents, and centrists who will balk at that kind of radicalism, especially while the more moderate option in McCain is available.

Some might be surprised that Fonda didn’t support Hillary Clinton in gender solidarity.  Hillary, in this one case, probably isn’t among them, but instead relieved to avoid Fonda’s baggage.

Let’s see if this falls into the newshole after this news cycle.  If Team Obama mentions this after tomorrow, then they’re not as clever as people think.  As for McCain, he will welcome the chance to go after Fonda and all she represents.

Comments

He’s locked up the vietnam era schmuck vote with her and Ayers

Defector01 on April 2, 2008 at 9:22 PM

Of course! They both hate America! But for some reason she still chooses to live HERE.

El Guapo on April 2, 2008 at 9:23 PM

I don’t know how she can even show her face in public. Some people have no shame!

Mormon Doc on April 2, 2008 at 9:28 PM

Are we going to see pictures of her straddling a suicide bomber?

I know, I know, I’m sorry. Go wash your eyes out.

ZRyan on April 2, 2008 at 9:31 PM

Yeah, it was either Obama or Cynthia McKinney. Tough choice.

THE CHOSEN ONE on April 2, 2008 at 9:34 PM

This, along with Teh-raaaaaay-zuh Heinz Kerry’s faaaaabulous accolades, may be an endorsement they don’t care to highlight in the daily talking points.

Alden Pyle on April 2, 2008 at 9:41 PM

Isn’t that the point?

Pam on April 2, 2008 at 9:42 PM

How many traitors support Barry now? I’ve lost count. They should start a website, Traitors4Obama.org.

Vote Sauron 08 on April 2, 2008 at 9:46 PM

Yes. That’s right. Before Michael Dukakis rode in the tank, there was Hanoi Jane sitting in the North Vietnamese anti-aircraft gun implacement — with a helmet no less.

My collie says:

It didn’t help, did it?

There was no brain there to protect to begin with.

CyberCipher on April 2, 2008 at 9:48 PM

Hanoi Jane has so much baggage she needs a full time porter.

Zorro on April 2, 2008 at 9:50 PM

You know, Ed, why in the world would you give a nanosecond of thought to what Jane Fonda has to say, or not to say, or what ever the Forbiden Unlawful Cardinal Knowledge she thinks, or mutters, and put it in print?????

This thing is an aged A*S-CLOWN, holding on to her glory days of anti-war protesting, treasonist enemy propagandist, American hating, all the time living a life of privledge protected by men and women whom she loaths, wothless piece of sagging skin!

It and it’s husband sit around surrounded by people who actually think what they have to say isn’t a waste of usable air, and complement them on the species of roses they smell like when they defecate.

If I never heard, saw, or read anything this thing has to say for the rest of my long life, I would be a happy and content human being.

But that’s just me……..

Seven Percent Solution on April 2, 2008 at 9:51 PM

Now there’s someone who can bring in the votes!!!!

jeanie on April 2, 2008 at 9:52 PM

Obama has been graced with the endorsement trifecta from hell.

Kerry …. Kennedy …. Hanoi Jane

Congrats. Loser.

fogw on April 2, 2008 at 9:54 PM

He’s got Jane. Now, we’re just waiting to find out who gets the coveted Medea Benjamin endorsement.

eeyore on April 2, 2008 at 9:56 PM

She’s one of those cannibals her ex is predicting.

atxcowgirl on April 2, 2008 at 9:57 PM

tired for treason and hung by the neck for being a traitor .

Mojack420 on April 2, 2008 at 9:57 PM

i wish Ted Turner would eat her.

2Tru2Tru on April 2, 2008 at 9:57 PM

New Headline: Aging Hag with White Progressive Guilt Endorses Obama

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on April 2, 2008 at 9:59 PM

i wish Ted Turner would eat her.

2Tru2Tru on April 2, 2008 at 9:57 PM

That……….is…………..DISGUSTING!!!!!

Seven Percent Solution on April 2, 2008 at 10:00 PM

Shouldn’t Jane be on a plane to Tehran or Waziristan?

THE CHOSEN ONE on April 2, 2008 at 10:01 PM

The Hanoi “C” word giggles with the VC as Mac is tortured
in the Hilton. Obama deserved her. I hope she campaigns with him. Side by side.

Texyank on April 2, 2008 at 10:03 PM

How many traitors support Barry now?

Funny you should write that because I was at a party hosted by my liberal in-laws a few weeks and this Chomsky lookalike comes up to me as strikes up a conversation. At any rate, he tells me that he is an Obama supporter and that America is a racist country… YAWN. I backed away very carefully with a faux smile and hit the mini quiche. Later that night my wife thanked me for not making a scene. I asked her why and she replied “Oh, I thought you knew that he was one of the people that went with Hanoi Jane to North Vietnam on her treason trip”. Anger!! I had the chance to tell some scumbag traitor what I thought of his treason and my wife failed to forewarn me. Perhaps I’ll just slip his address to the Marines at my father’s Vietnam reunion I attend every year. Perhaps they can all write him a letter and share their thoughts as well.

Claypigeon on April 2, 2008 at 10:06 PM

Got myself a big pinch of Wolf Wintergreen Long Cut going.

I wonder if I’m a better shot than the Nam Vet that sent ole Jane a “love letter” at a book signing?

BowHuntingTexas on April 2, 2008 at 10:18 PM

i wish Ted Turner would eat her.

2Tru2Tru on April 2, 2008 at 9:57 PM

I think it’s safe to say that the last cannibal, or even the last mre weary USN sailor, wouldn’t eat her.

Alden Pyle on April 2, 2008 at 10:19 PM

p40Tiger to Hanoi Jane: Please campaign for him. Please! Please!

p40tiger on April 2, 2008 at 10:22 PM

it helps paint Barack Obama as a far-left candidate

I believe his stances and his racist church do that, no?

SouthernGent on April 2, 2008 at 10:25 PM

Give that traitorious witch a microphone pleeeeaaasse. And put a camera on her too.

Hog Wild on April 2, 2008 at 10:26 PM

Vietnam Vets are not fonda Jane.

davidk on April 2, 2008 at 10:29 PM

Obama’s strength is his ability to keep his positions, and policies general and vague. They can be anything you want them to be, so when someone like Jane Fonda announces her support for him, he says something mildly reassuring, then does that rhetorical pivot and directs your attention to something else.

Krauthammer was the first pundit I saw to point out that technique. Kinda like the stereotypical liberal ‘yes, but’ tap dance.

rockhauler on April 2, 2008 at 10:30 PM

I remember when Jane Fonda found Jesus about 10 years ago. Another passing fad in a pathetic shallow life. This is a woman in her 60s whose still self-absorbed and immature enough to be trying to find “who she is.”

Face it, Jane Fonda is a featherweight symbol of stupendous mediocrity. Who gives a rat’s ass what she says or thinks.

Cicero43 on April 2, 2008 at 10:38 PM

Hanoi Jane lives; as urinal stickers in US military aircrew ready rooms worldwide. It’s such a relief.

Maquis on April 2, 2008 at 10:40 PM

Here’s a quote from her father, Henry:

[on Jane Fonda and Peter Fonda, 1976] “I didn’t help or discourage them or lead them by the hand. I’m not trying to set myself up as a good father, because I wasn’t a good father. But I think I knew instinctively that if they did make it, they would like to know they’d done it on their own. I recognize all the problems my children have had, and I don’t claim any credit for what they’ve become. They’ve become what they are in spite of me.” -Henry Fonda

Sounds like a person saying “I know I f-ed up but don’t blame me”.

Claypigeon on April 2, 2008 at 10:44 PM

This is a woman too stupid to know when to shut up.

baldilocks on April 2, 2008 at 10:52 PM

N’Obama and Fonda both have unresolved father issues: moth to flame.

onlineanalyst on April 2, 2008 at 10:55 PM

On the minus side, it helps paint Barack Obama as a far-left candidate, and suggests that his flirtation with William Ayers and Bernadette Dohrn wasn’t just a one-off brush with radicalism…

Ed M

Curious, Ed — what on earth would support the suggestion that his association with Ayers and Dohrn was a “one-off brush”? What does that even mean?

Jaibones on April 2, 2008 at 11:15 PM

Alden Pyle on April 2, 2008 at 10:19 PM

Uh…

Jaibones on April 2, 2008 at 11:19 PM

That some believe still should be tried for treason.

Oldnuke on April 2, 2008 at 11:20 PM

Vote Sauron 08 on April 2, 2008 at 9:46 PM

Obama has been graced with the endorsement trifecta from hell.

Kerry …. Kennedy …. Hanoi Jane

Congrats. Loser.

fogw on April 2, 2008 at 9:54 PM

Oh, just wait. Before Nov., to Obama’s dismay, he’ll be supported by:

- Chavez of Venezuela,
- The Robbers of Cuba
- Zawahiri
- Bin Laden, from the dead
- Al Jezeera
- The BBC
- All kinds of Marxist organizations
- Hamas et company
- Other ‘luminaries’ who just can’t hide their enthusiasm.

This is the year from hell/heaven, both for bad, and for entertainment.

Entelechy on April 2, 2008 at 11:38 PM

Yawn. Is this a surprise?

funky chicken on April 2, 2008 at 11:45 PM

I’m sure Obama will reply “Jane who?”

GarandFan on April 3, 2008 at 12:07 AM

Is the statute of limitations out to charge for treason?

Johan Klaus on April 3, 2008 at 12:21 AM

You’ve got to know Obama begged her to endorse Hillary.

Getting endorsed by Hanoi Jane is like getting endorsed by Bin Laden or Charles Manson or NAMBLA — kiss of death with mainstream voters.

Karl Rove must be laughing his @$$ off right now.

Ali-Bubba on April 3, 2008 at 1:21 AM

Maquis on April 2, 2008 at 10:40 PM

“Such a relief?” Is that a pun?

theregoestheneighborhood on April 3, 2008 at 1:24 AM

This is such good news for Barack.

All he needs now is that coveted endorsement from Chemical Ali and it is in the bag.

Ares on April 3, 2008 at 4:30 AM

and the hits just keep on comin’!

LtE126 on April 3, 2008 at 6:28 AM

The fact that Hanoi Jane ain’t jumping to Shillary’s side is a strong message that the Clintonistas have lost their Hollywood powerbase. All it will take to complete the collapse is for Streisand to start singing the merits of B.O.

pilamaye on April 3, 2008 at 7:13 AM

Birds of a feather.
I’m a little surprised the Old Commie Jane didnt endorse the Old Commie Hillary though. Just my humble opinion.

abcurtis on April 3, 2008 at 7:15 AM

I wonder ir the AA-gun she was photographed on was the same one used to shoot down John McCain?
Just askin.

Don Carne on April 3, 2008 at 7:42 AM

Johan Klaus on April 3, 2008 at 12:21 AM

There is no statute of limitations for treason.

Oldnuke on April 3, 2008 at 9:05 AM

I thought Monster in Law was a documentary about Obama’s rival.

mymanpotsandpans on April 3, 2008 at 9:24 AM

I know everyone has an image of Jane in Hanoi, but my image is her doing the “Tomahawk” at the Braves playoff game, when she was trying to nail Ted Turner. Her excuse for dissing the American Indians? “I was doing it open handed, so it wasn’t really a “Tomahawk” motion”. To me that defines liberals…they are against something, until they want it.

right2bright on April 3, 2008 at 9:24 AM

The endorsement already identifies Barry with anti-American dreck thus giving McCain more ammunition.

Jane Fonda learned her liberal/socialist lessons from her father. Henry Fonda was one of Hollywood’s biggest names in the COMINTERN orbit.

SeniorD on April 3, 2008 at 9:50 AM

Hanoi Jane should do us all a favor. Remarry Ted and move to Hanoi and open an orphanage teaching propaganda.

MSGTAS on April 3, 2008 at 9:50 AM

There was a time the mere mention of her name drove me nuts.But as years passed, I took the high road, well as best a combat Viet vet can, and decided it wasn’t worth my energy to think about her. After reading that she supports Obama I thought nothing more of it than I do the deposit my neighbor’s dog does on my yard. Oh wait, I plan on going to my neighbor and drag his butt over to shovel it. So much for the priority I have for Jane….

MNDavenotPC on April 3, 2008 at 11:14 AM

MNDavenotPC, I have exactly the same feelings as you, and have had them for years also. I am now at least getting to the point where when I see her image on TV I no longer have the inclination to throw my shoe at the screen. It never ceases to amaze me with these people in Hollywood who hate AMERICA. Where would they much rather live?? No place other than right here in the good ol’ USA.

pueblo1032 on April 3, 2008 at 12:40 PM

“Jane Fonda,” is “the anti-war activist that some believe should have been tried for treason for her propaganda efforts on behalf of the North Vietnamese government,” convicted and hanged slowly.

burt on April 3, 2008 at 1:17 PM