Oily Obama: Some of his best friends are oil executives

posted at 9:55 pm on April 1, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

Barack Obama has started getting some major-league vetting from the media, and so far he looks like a AAA prospect brought up a season or two too early. After releasing a TV ad saying that he doesn’t take money from the oil industry, ABC News calls shenanigans. Jake Tapper notes that Factcheck did what its name implies, and like Jed Clampett, found some bubblin’ crude in Obama’s neighborhood:

When my family back in Pennsylvania turns on the TV these days, they may see this Barack Obama TV ad where he’s standing in a gas station saying the following:

“Since the gas lines of the ’70s, Democrats and Republicans have talked about energy independence, but nothing’s changed — except now Exxon’s making $40 billion a year, and we’re paying $3.50 for gas.

I’m Barack Obama. I don’t take money from oil companies or Washington lobbyists, and I won’t let them block change anymore. They’ll pay a penalty on windfall profits. We’ll invest in alternative energy, create jobs and free ourselves from foreign oil. I approve this message because it’s time that Washington worked for you. Not them.”

Factcheck.org today takes a look at Obama’s claim to not take money from oil companies and concludes that the statement “misleading” since according to the non-partisan Center for Responsive Politics Obama has taken more than $213,000 from individuals (and their spouses) who work for companies in the oil and gas industry — not to mention that two of Obama’s top fundraisers are top executives at oil companies”.

And as Tapper points out, nobody takes money from oil companies, or any other kind of corporations, because it’s illegal to do so. At best, Obama issued a deceptive non-sequitur, and at worst, flat-out lied about his funding. Shall we now get into a debate over the word “companies”, akin to Bill Clinton’s parsing of the word “is”?

Put this on top of the CJR article about which AP wrote so well earlier, and we can start sensing a shift in coverage for Obama. It started with the Saturday Night Live satire that skewered the national media’s apple-polishing coverage of Obama for the previous year, which coincided with the start of the Tony Rezko trial. Obama’s rumored distance with beat reporters may have contributed to the shift as well, but whatever prompted it, the press has started testing Obama — and so far, he has responded poorly.

I think Republicans may have overestimated Obama. Many thought it would be easier to beat Hillary Clinton in a general election, but Obama looks almost completely incompetent under pressure. In the last couple of weeks, he has been caught by the Washington Post and ABC News in a series of misrepresentations and errors, on top of his fumbling attempts to explain away his 20-year association with a hate-speech, demagoguing conspiracy nut.

Update: One of our commenters says, What’s the big deal?  It’s only 0.2% of his contributions!  The big deal is that he has oil executives out raising money for him when he claims that he won’t deal with oil-industry lobbyists and hasn’t taken a dime from “oil companies” — in other words, he’s lying through his teeth.  New Politics, eh?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Mr. Bingley on April 1, 2008 at 9:59 PM

Obama’s skeletons continue to pour out of his closet. This won’t be the last … not by a long shot.

darkegop on April 1, 2008 at 10:05 PM

There are too many stupid people that are in love with Obama’s eloquence and the fact that he could be the first black president. When the guy is away from a teleprompter, he is weak, incoherent, and nervous. Maybe that arrogance is starting to warn off, but there are still people falling over what they want in Obama, not what he really is a leftist, socialist.

jencab on April 1, 2008 at 10:06 PM

OK OK I can’t follow this anymore, my head is swimming! Can somebody tell me where I can find an index of all the lies he has told, and site the article which refutes his claim?
I need a scorecard to keep it all straight!

redshirt on April 1, 2008 at 10:06 PM

I’ve seen those ads and knew they were false. I had heard he had oil buddies. I made sure my 20 yr old knew too…so she could tell her college-age friends. They are smitten with him.

He’s messin up now tho.

becki51758 on April 1, 2008 at 10:06 PM

While I agree with you that he is incompetent under pressure, I have to disagree with the underlying assumption that that pressure would exist in a general election between Obama and McCain. It would be a lot easier for the national press to rally behind Obama than Clinton, in my opinion anyway. We have already seen stories about a very pensive GOP when it comes to going after Obama, so the pressure really wont come from our side (unless the strategy changes); and if Clinton is out and Obama is left standing, will these kinds of stories even come out? And if they do, won’t they just be excused away?

Weight of Glory on April 1, 2008 at 10:07 PM

Obama’s statement about not taking money from oil companies is revealing, and not just because it’s a strawman fallacy. It’s indicative of an electorate that seems to think companies can – and do – donate to campaigns. Obama was simply tailoring his rhetoric to his base’s (mistaken) view of the world. As has been shown many, many other times in the past few weeks, behind all the lofty words, Obama’s just like any other politician.

Wayne Clark on April 1, 2008 at 10:12 PM

A far lefty with oil buddies? Obama is starting to look like Hugo Chavez.

Bigfoot on April 1, 2008 at 10:16 PM

I need a scorecard to keep it all straight!

I actually had a Microsoft Word document that I called “Obama the phony” where I kept track of things like this. I finally gave up updating it because there was just so much stuff that kept coming out.

Wayne Clark on April 1, 2008 at 10:17 PM

There are too many stupid people that are in love with Obama’s eloquence and the fact that he could be the first black president. …there are still people falling over what they want in Obama, not what he really is a leftist, socialist.

jencab on April 1, 2008 at 10:06 PM

Maybe more to the point, I know that right this very second there are people who jumped on his bandwagon, desperate to break the stalemate of having never had a top national political leader who is black, and realizing now that he isn’t ready, or isn’t the one.

They are just now coming to grips with the lies, the bad decisions, the bad associations, the not-even-close-to-ready-for-prime-time policy positions. I keep saying that when the air leaves this balloon, it is going to scream and cry on its way out.

Sorry kids, he ain’t the one. So, instead of picking your favorites by color, that crowd needs to decide what it believes in, politically. This guy is way to the left of many of his supporters, and he’s just pretending.

Jaibones on April 1, 2008 at 10:20 PM

jencab on April 1, 2008 at 10:06 PM

Bingo!

Red Pill on April 1, 2008 at 10:20 PM

I just wonder if Barack Bozobama wants to provide information about how much the government has taken in windfall taxes from the oil industry since the 1970′s. Methinks that the figures will show a gouging that dwarfs whatever Big Earl has realized as profit.

R and D: exploration, drilling, refining, transporting, etc. all take money. Those who have invested in this industry take risks, and for doing so, expect a profit.

Ole Barry doesn’t have much business/economic sense, does he? How far back was it since we built new refineries? What alarmism is preventing our own exploitation of the plenteous natural resources that we have now? How little is he aware of the efforts by Big Earl toward devolping alternative fuels?

I hope he was being careful in those posed ads at gas stations. After all, Michell O claimed that he could be shot at any time, pumping his own gas. What a devisive dur.

onlineanalyst on April 1, 2008 at 10:21 PM

I love the concept of punishing achievement. If you dare make alot of money, shame on you, give it up or else!

ThePrez on April 1, 2008 at 10:23 PM

Texas tea, Mr. Messiah? One lump or two?

Vote Sauron 08 on April 1, 2008 at 10:25 PM

A far lefty with oil buddies? Obama is starting to look like Hugo Chavez.
Bigfoot on April 1, 2008 at 10:16 PM

Or Joe Kennedy…

What cracks me up is that a lot of people pension funds are invested in the energy sector. Do they want to kill the goose that lays the golden egg?

onlineanalyst on April 1, 2008 at 10:26 PM

I need a scorecard to keep it all straight!

redshirt on April 1, 2008 at 10:06 PM

Obama Lies – Quick Glance
(65 lies as of March 31 2008)

Afterimage on April 1, 2008 at 10:26 PM

More Obama…

Monday, March 31, 2008 2:01 p.m. EDT
Citing advice from the sage of Omaha, Warren Buffet, Democratic presidential contender Sen. Barack Obama (Ill.) has called for a massive increase in the capital gains tax.

No word from the billionaire investor Buffett in reaction to Obama’s policy proposal — aired first on MSNBC by the Democratic presidential contender in an interview with Maria Bariromo – but many other investors are already responding. Currently, the capital gains tax rate is 15 percent.

“When I talk to people like Warren Buffet, or others, and I ask them, you know, how much of a difference is it going to be if it’s 20 or 25 percent, they say, ‘Look, if it’s within that range then it’s not going to distort, I think, economic decision making,” said Obama in an interview on March 27 on CNBC’s Closing Bell program.

Keemo on April 1, 2008 at 10:29 PM

Great piece Ed, I loved this one. Good Job!

Vigilante on April 1, 2008 at 10:29 PM

Thanks to the Libs, all the people we are forced to buy oil from hate our guts.

All the people that hate our guts want Obama to win.

Does anyone else see a connection here?

Hening on April 1, 2008 at 10:30 PM

Umm, Barry, we already do invest in alternative energy. And I’m glad to know you want to penalize profitable companies. I mean, what do those a-holes think, that we should let them keep the fruits of their labor? Yeah right. That’s what happens in the U.S. of KKK A. Not in the socialist paradise we’ll enjoy under your benevolent dictatorship, er, I mean, Presidency For Life.

VolMagic on April 1, 2008 at 10:33 PM

My comments a while back about the tip of the Obama iceburg turning into fact… cool.

Next prediction: More to follow, we are just scratching the surface of the Obama “phenomenon”. Or more commonly known as the “Obama hoax”.

Hog Wild on April 1, 2008 at 10:33 PM

Tighten the screws on that nut. Let’s see what he’s really made of.

geminicontender on April 1, 2008 at 10:34 PM

I think Republicans may have overestimated Obama.
posted at 9:55 pm on April 1, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

Not me. Read what I wrote back on February 12th…Obama ain’t got game.

Huckabee/Steele defeats Obama/Edwards in November.

Red Pill on April 1, 2008 at 10:35 PM

the press has started testing Obama — and so far, he has responded poorly.

He gets very defensive under the slightest pressure. He’s actually very arrogant and thin-skinned.

I think Republicans may have overestimated Obama

“I never misoverestimated him” – - President Bush 43

Entelechy on April 1, 2008 at 10:36 PM

Whuddup with ABC News lately? Not that I’m complaining, but it just makes me feel weird that they are actually, sort of being journalist at the alphabet network!

SouthernGent on April 1, 2008 at 10:38 PM

SouthernGent on April 1, 2008 at 10:38 PM

It could be because if they don’t actually start doing real journalism, they will sink like a rock, just like the majority of liberal news stations and newspapers.

Red Pill on April 1, 2008 at 10:40 PM

The Messiah has been afforded so many passes that he could care less about the truth.

All hail WHITE GUILT!!!!

dmann on April 1, 2008 at 10:40 PM

the “Obama hoax”.

Hog Wild on April 1, 2008 at 10:33 PM

Bingo!

Here’s the “Change” that Obama wants to make:
The Road to Socialism USA

Red Pill on April 1, 2008 at 10:43 PM

Of course when similar types surround Bush there is a lot of silence around here. It is not that I think either are acceptable. It is just what we get when we continue to vote for establishment candidates in the primaries and the general. It is also a consequence of acceptance for big government politicians. They have now consolidated power in both parties, big government interests own both parties. You will vote for amnesty and like it.

LevStrauss on April 1, 2008 at 10:45 PM

I want nObama to win the nomination. I’ve said it before that Clinton will be harder to defeat in the general because of that Clinton machine. Get nObama in the general and expose him for the empty suit that he is. Its starting to unravel for him already. I just hope that the unraveling doesn’t happen to much and too fast to breathe life back into Clinton.

I see where my post is an audacity of hope.

cjs1943 on April 1, 2008 at 10:45 PM

I think the fact Obama is weaker in Ohio and Penn. than Hillary is the biggest reason he’s likely easier.

the problem with Obama is the War issue, he can use that against mccain better than Hillary can, and he will try to and lie about much of the substance around it like all libs and get away with it with the media.

jp on April 1, 2008 at 10:51 PM

He was a college professor, remember? They aren’t used to having to let the little people talk back to them.

richard mcenroe on April 1, 2008 at 10:51 PM

$213,000?

I’m underwhelmed.

Dorvillian on April 1, 2008 at 10:52 PM

The Messiah will get the nomination, question is can the country shake off the racial manipulation and make the obviuos choice to defeat Islamo-socialisto-euro BULLPIES!

dmann on April 1, 2008 at 10:56 PM

And people are fearful of the debates? Look at it this way. Obama is supposed to be the second coming. The expectations for him in a debate are off the charts. Maverick basically has to avoid jamming a pen in Obama’s neck. What I also think you’ll see is a stark difference in “all words” against “all deeds.”

Also, if there are any smart Republican operatives left out there, they’ll start the whisper campaign that Barrack is still very young and will have many more opportunities to run once he’s matured. This is good experience and NEXT time, he’ll be ready. That way, on-the-fence folks who may still like Obama can vote for McCain, and still believe sweet, little Barry will get his chance next time.

Sugar Land on April 1, 2008 at 11:02 PM

I had a feeling he was just too squeaky clean, if something seems too good to be true, it usually is. Esp. where a polititian is concerned.
And I am so glad this is finally coming out.

4shoes on April 1, 2008 at 11:07 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Ground breaking reporting, Ed! Way to go. No, seriously. This is way better than combatting science.

Now, if you excuse me…

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

freevillage on April 1, 2008 at 11:08 PM

Comrades hello! A wonderful socialists history awaits.

mred on April 1, 2008 at 11:13 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Now, if you excuse me…

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

freevillage on April 1, 2008 at 11:08 PM

You were laughing so hard you forgot to remind us you don’t support Obama.

Chuck Schick on April 1, 2008 at 11:17 PM

Obama is bringing us gifts for the general election. This is the weakest candidate in substance, hypocritical at every turn, and a joke.
Obama myths:
I didn’t know my pastor was a separatist, racist.
My grandmother is worse than Wright, but I love them both.
Michelle was always proud of being an American.
Big oil and their executives are the enemy. I don’t want them near me.
I’m pro gun rights.
Tony Rezko did not give me sweeheart deals.

Add more: (I know there are).

jencab on April 1, 2008 at 11:18 PM

Sugar Land on April 1, 2008 at 11:02 PM

Fear of debates? So far McCain has not claimed experience that was not his to claim. McCain has a press conference every chance he get’s knowing that few “softball” questions are coming his way.

Obama got a “fastball” today and nearly tripped over his tounge. Obama is a great preformer, with script in hand he seem’s to have it going on.

If Obama is the Democratic nomination, I look forward to the debates. I would pay money to see the debates.

The nasty habit about the American voting public, they have a way of thinking for themselves. McCain is not telling us how to think, he’s telling us what he’s going to do. We can like it or hate it, the choice is ours.

If Obama is elected, straight from his wife’s mouth, he is going to shake us out of the state we are in, and then we will conform to the Obama ways.

No thanks, the thinking for myself seems to be working for me so far.

Hog Wild on April 1, 2008 at 11:20 PM

A far lefty with oil buddies? Obama is starting to look like Hugo Chavez.

Bigfoot on April 1, 2008 at 10:16 PM

Well let us see………….

A) Hugo is into Oil…..

B) Hugo supports terrorists………

and C) Obama is tied to FARC……

A + B = C

I would say this needs a further review…… anyone in the media want to connect the dots?

Anyone……….?

OK, the Legions at HotAir will do it for you………

Seven Percent Solution on April 1, 2008 at 11:21 PM

You were laughing so hard you forgot to remind us you don’t support Obama.

I don’t. I’m sorry, I can’t help it. It’s not my fault some of the attacks on him have been this pathetic.

freevillage on April 1, 2008 at 11:22 PM

freevillage on April 1, 2008 at 11:22 PM

Dude……. just send in a picture and the posting will be complete.

Seven Percent Solution on April 1, 2008 at 11:27 PM

Hillary’s idea to stay in all the way to the end may work out for her after all, the skeletons are coming out.

KBird on April 1, 2008 at 11:35 PM

No, seriously man… Oily people are pouring money to this guy like crazy. Almost 2 tenth of a percent, man. That’s like… with a capital 2, man.

And he’s a black racist. I’m telling, ya…

And if that’s not enough, he’s most likely with Harvard professors on their science-shmeince.

freevillage on April 1, 2008 at 11:36 PM

They’ll pay a penalty on windfall profits.

Who decides what is considered a “windfall” profit as opposed to just a profit.

Well when he says he takes ZERO then this just proves he is a liar.

And he’s a black racist. I’m telling, ya…

No need to tell us, we already know that.
ANYONE who defends Wright and his message is a racist. Period.

ArmyAunt on April 1, 2008 at 11:42 PM

freevillage on April 1, 2008 at 11:36 PM

You know you’re a parody, right? You insist upon yourself.

/Family Guy

VolMagic on April 1, 2008 at 11:45 PM

Don’t get pissed off about it, just keep saying to yourself, “Yeah but the other guys do it too so its ok”.

I mean, there are racist white preachers too and all that.

Bishop on April 1, 2008 at 11:49 PM

You know you’re a parody, right? You insist upon yourself.

Well, I’m sorry. If a black-on-white report that someone has donated 0.2% of the total amount isn’t a proof that they are in bed with Obama, I don’t know what is.

But hey, personally I never tire. Once my groundbreaking report on how many people who had visited Walmart at least once in their lifetime, contributed to Obama’s campaign is complete, I’ll make it available for you. I trust that you will be able to draw the correct conclusions.

freevillage on April 1, 2008 at 11:51 PM

I mean, there are racist white preachers too and all that.

No, we haven’t talked about racism for a year. Now is the time. Black racism is a major problem and needs to be stopped.

freevillage on April 1, 2008 at 11:52 PM

Well when he says he takes ZERO then this just proves he is a liar.

No no no, you don’t understand, its about percentages. Obama received only a small percentage of his financial support from those in the oil industry, so that means he is still honest and clean.

He might have been better off just saying he wasn’t at his office on the days when those contributions arrived.

Bishop on April 1, 2008 at 11:53 PM

They’ll pay a penalty on windfall profits.

What a brilliant strategy to get our economy going – take away those profits!

WisCon on April 1, 2008 at 11:54 PM

You must not have gotten the memo: black people can’t be racist, and if they are, well whitey is racist too. Isn’t that right, Lott?

Bishop on April 1, 2008 at 11:56 PM

Add more: (I know there are).

jencab on April 1, 2008 at 11:18 PM

Wait until we start hearing excerpts from his audiobook.

/Hugh Hewitt

RushBaby on April 1, 2008 at 11:56 PM

Bishop on April 1, 2008 at 11:53 PM

hahah ;)

What a brilliant strategy to get our economy going – take away those profits!

WisCon on April 1, 2008 at 11:54 PM

He would be wise to keep his grimy paws off the profits my business makes.
He isn’t the one working the 15 hour days to earn it!

ArmyAunt on April 1, 2008 at 11:57 PM

He Beclowns himself.

Jaibones on April 1, 2008 at 11:58 PM

Actually a report on Walmart visitors would be more analogous to Obama contributors who used a gas station, rather than those who were part of the actual industry.

Bishop on April 2, 2008 at 12:00 AM

Obama Lies – Quick Glance
(65 lies as of March 31 2008)

Afterimage on April 1, 2008 at 10:26 PM

Great link.

Thanks.

Yakko77 on April 2, 2008 at 12:00 AM

Gack, next thing you’ll tell us is that Barry’s in bed with Halliburton…

Del Dolemonte on April 2, 2008 at 12:01 AM

Karol called it long ago, even if her search feature won’t let me find the post.

its vintage duh on April 2, 2008 at 12:01 AM

Now you’re splitting hairs. If you shopped at Walmart, you supported it. Unless you were dragged there by force. So supporters of Walmart fund Obama’s campaign. I think this pretty much makes Obama Walmart’s puppet.

freevillage on April 2, 2008 at 12:03 AM

I’m not even mentioning the obvious fact that employees of Walmart have surely donated some amount to Obama’s campaign. Big story.

freevillage on April 2, 2008 at 12:06 AM

Shhhhhhhh….Halliburton is only a “reckless contractor” (ht: Obama) when Republican administrations contract their services.

Democrats use other companies to provide services, companies such as…well…such as…er…Halliburton.

Bishop on April 2, 2008 at 12:06 AM

Ah, well I think I should just join you and hop on the Messiah Bus™ and ignore Obama’s fabrications.

I’m thinking it has to be easier to forgive a few dozen lies than to get labeled a racist for daring to expose said lies.

Like I said, its all about percentages. Obama tells the truth often enough that his lies are just a small part of the overall rhetoric.

Bishop on April 2, 2008 at 12:14 AM

McCain will get killed in the debates. You do remember the real idiot Republicans voted for this guy? McCain showed three debating styles in the primaries and they all were horrible. You have his name dropping obsession where he can go fifteen deep without breathing naming Washington insider leaches. You have his “a-hole” routine he tried on Mitt in New Hampshire that almost lost him the primary if he kept it up. And last and least the tired talking point echoing that nearly killed his campaign in the early going and it makes him look ninety or maybe even as old as a “hundred years.” Obama is a so so debater, but McCain is a poor debater and old. If I am McCain I only do radio debates.

LevStrauss on April 2, 2008 at 12:23 AM

You could be right. McCain isn’t all that hot at debates while Obama has shown that, when it comes to difficult live questions, he is a master orator. Why just last week he managed to use the word “change” only fifty times during a speech rather than the usual seventy-three.

I just hope there aren’t more than eight questions for the man.

Bishop on April 2, 2008 at 12:27 AM

I have to agree with freevillage.

0.2% of his donations are from people who work in the oil industry means he is in cahoots with them?

A Axe on April 2, 2008 at 12:40 AM

LevStrauss on April 2, 2008 at 12:23 AM

Sadly true, the MSM has choosen both candidates and will relish slaying McCain! All hail the A$$HOLE!

dmann on April 2, 2008 at 12:48 AM

I think it started before that Ed….likely back in Texas (I believe) when some Chicago print reporters showed up to ask questions about Rezko that he had been dodging up til then.

I think it was the next day that the Chicago Sun Times printed the questions on their front page, along with their phone number.

I had the impression many others in the national media were a little embarrassed by the Chicago reporters. They had actually been doing some digging while all the others were busy fawning…and their questions, and Obama fumbling out of his own press conference, showed them to be lazy.

91Veteran on April 2, 2008 at 1:09 AM

No way. You are underestimating the stupidity of the left. Obama is teflon. Nothing is going to stick to him. His numbers are back up and the left has convinced itself that Obama’s covorting with a racist, anti-American mentor and spiritual advisor is nothing compared to being endorsed by Hagee, so Obama MUST be elected. Face it, this country is screwed and we only have ourselves to blame.

ihasurnominashun on April 2, 2008 at 1:31 AM

Phewwwwwwwww…..why, Lord, why? Why do people, who run for office, have to spin a yarn? Especially today, with everything checked seven ways, I just don’t get it.

Oh….yeah….the money. Stupid me.

Limerick on April 2, 2008 at 1:45 AM

The suit is beginning to fill… with foul-smelling refuse.

mojojojo on April 2, 2008 at 2:10 AM

This guy is starting to spout more denials than the disciple Peter. Seriously, how would you like to be a) Pastor Wright, dismissed and minimalized to “crazy uncle” status after such a long affilitation; b) his “typical white person” grandma; or, now, c) any of the donors or campaign advisors cited here. Once would be enough for me to want to stop payment on that check.

Captain Scarlet on April 2, 2008 at 5:22 AM

“Well, my big fear is still that when you get handsome young and vibrant Obama on a stage with shriveled old coot McCain the words out of their respective mouthes ain’t gonna’ matter.

Mr. Bingley on April 1, 2008 at 9:59 PM”

I think if this is all we have to worry about, we’re in pretty good shape.

LtE126 on April 2, 2008 at 6:29 AM

The personal contributions are penny-ante, but Ed’s certainly right that no one can take contributions directly from the oil companies — so that seems at best an attempt to mislead.

I’m curious about the windfall penalty, and so I asked Fitzgerald at the Philly Inquirer (who’s traveling with Obama in PA) to ask him whether it’s just for oil companies, and whether it’s based on the volume or percentage of profits. I also asked him to find out whether Obama’s people did any audience research on whether to call it a “tax” or the ultimately-settled-on “penalty.”

I guess if I cared enough I could also see if Obama was voting or present for the votes on the AMT reform issue, since even a lot of Democrats think the AMT’s expansion over time has produced windfall tax revenue for the government, to the tune of $50-60 billion per year. I remember seeing some stories last fall that said Obama was basically nowhere on the AMT issue apart from a blurb on his Senate web page.

DrSteve on April 2, 2008 at 8:46 AM

This populist clown needs to do some homework and stop manipulating people with purple rhetoric. . .
onlineanalyst on April 1, 2008 at 10:21 PM

Ah, but “manipulating people with purple rhetoric” works. You may not be able to fool all of the people all of the time, but you have to fool only enough to win the electoral votes of enough states, and you’ll be President of these United States.

And there are plenty of folks willing and eager to be fooled.

MrLynn on April 2, 2008 at 8:56 AM

freevillage on April 1, 2008 at 11:36 PM

You’re right, that’s chump change, but here’s the problem: when you’re running for the presidency as the messianic “agent of change” who’s not a Washington insider, and not beholden to lobbyists and e-e-evil corporations, and you’re caught in these little lies, you got more ‘splainin to do. And it looks like the media’s not liking those explanations (two begrudging upward revisions on Rezko’s little campaign “gifts,” and rather amazing fairy tales of mansion-buying and churchified selective hearing come to mind).

I think Obama crested way too early, believes his own phony image, and is arrogant enough to think that his swooning followers and minority status will bullet-proof him from those pesky reporters who are every bit as arrogant as he.

If he wins the nod, he’ll be going up against a Washington veteran who’s not only a past-master at licking the media’s boots, but also a politician who’ll have no compunction in shifting left to capture the middle. This campaign should prove really interesting. An interesting train wreck, but interesting nonetheless.

Nichevo on April 2, 2008 at 9:02 AM

Great thing to happen to this country.
Pitting two extreme liberals against each other. (obama-clinton)
No choice but to bring the lies/agendas to the surface.
Yay!

bridgetown on April 2, 2008 at 9:16 AM

It’s not the media or voters who raised the stakes on Obama that high.

It was himself.

Niko on April 2, 2008 at 9:25 AM

Can I have the money?

mymanpotsandpans on April 2, 2008 at 9:39 AM

ABC News and Jake Tapper are wrong.

The Obama campaign points out that the senator doesn’t take money from PACs or from lobbyists.

The Obama campaign for President DOES take money from PACs. Union PACs have been contributing to his presidential campaign from day one. Obama’s senatorial campaign in 2004 took money from union and corporate PACs.

Furthermore, Obama has participated in ads paid for by the DCCC and DSCC seeking to promote Democrats running for Congress. The DCCC and DSCC both accept money from union and corporate PACs.

This ad in Pennsylvania should be prime material to really question Obama about what he says he does versus what he actually does. They are in conflict with each other.

gabriel sutherland on April 2, 2008 at 9:44 AM

Liberal Mantra:

“Well, they ALL lie……”

Oh, well, then……

franksalterego on April 2, 2008 at 10:10 AM

Contributions from OIL and GAS:

Barack Obama (D) $213,884

“I’m Barack Obama. I don’t take money from oil companies or Washington lobbyists…”

Contributions from LOBBTISTS:

Barack Obama (D) $114,713

He’s not at the top of the list – but he is liar none the less.

wise_man on April 2, 2008 at 10:54 AM

You’re right, that’s chump change, but here’s the problem: when you’re running for the presidency as the messianic “agent of change” who’s not a Washington insider, and not beholden to lobbyists and e-e-evil corporations, and you’re caught in these little lies, you got more ’splainin to do.

I guess that depends on a perspective. It seems to me a much more solid attack would be on his stance on trade or even Iraq, where he proposes something that can’t possibly be done (quick withdrawal), lack of any executive experience. The first person he will ever hire in his life is vice-president. Shouldn’t one practice just a little bit before being allowed to make decisions of that magnitude?

Instead we have most idiotic accusations of him being a black racist or that if employees of a company have contributed a minuscule amount to your campaign, then it somehow means you’re in bed with its execs. Good luck with that. I mean, most of visitors here have already successfully elected Teh Fred! or Guilliani to be the Republican nominee, so we can trust their political instincts.

freevillage on April 2, 2008 at 11:00 AM

I guess that depends on a perspective.
freevillage on April 2, 2008 at 11:00 AM

Hah

OK then,

Let’s put “Iraq” into the “perspective” of WWI, WWII, Korea, or Vietnam.

Then, explain what all the hoopla’s about.

franksalterego on April 2, 2008 at 11:07 AM

Yeah and a great April Fool’s joke was pulled on Barack Obama by the Atlas Shrugs community to avenge America.

HotAirJosef on April 2, 2008 at 11:21 AM

But he would have been impossible to beat with the MSM helping to shield him. Now that they are finally doing their jobs, he is crumbling. How long will they continue to expose him? When will they circle the wagons and protect him?

TX Mom on April 2, 2008 at 11:47 AM

After the NY Times hit piece on McCain about how he took campaign money from the Paxon family and then did the Paxons’ bidding in the Senate, I wrote to the Times and asked why the Times didn’t do a front page article about all the campaign contributions Obama took from the nuclear power industry when he ran for the Senate and how, once in office, Obama has a documented record of doing the bidding of the nuclear power industry. I got a letter back actually claiming that the Times “has reported extensively” on Obama’s “supposed ties” to the nuclear power industry. Maybe I just missed the article but one thing is sure: The MSM will not cover how the pure and morally superior Barack Obama was very happy to accept money from the nuclear power industry and to do some nice things for the nuclear power industry once he was safely in office.

Larraby on April 2, 2008 at 12:03 PM

Hah

OK then,

Let’s put “Iraq” into the “perspective” of WWI, WWII, Korea, or Vietnam.

Then, explain what all the hoopla’s about.

Depends on whose hoopla you’re talking about. Mine consists of two parts.

1) I wonder if it is really necessary to fight in Iraq despite the fact the loss of life on our side is fairly small.

2) I very much dislike when the President claims war powers when the war seems to have no end in sight. If I were a Republican and hated America thinking two out of three branches of its government were dysfunctional and half the country were public enemies, then it’d be less of a concern to me. But I kinda like the way America was set up and I would like to go back to that order.

freevillage on April 2, 2008 at 12:15 PM

I wonder if it is really necessary to fight in Iraq
freevillage on April 2, 2008 at 12:15 PM

That is, of course, because we don’t know what Saddam, post 9/11, had in store for us.

And, aren’t you HAPPY, we’ll never have to find out.

franksalterego on April 2, 2008 at 12:21 PM

As far as I can tell these are regular campaign contributions that come from people who list an oil company as their employer. That doesn’t mean it is the executives but even so, an oil executive CAN be a Democrat and he CAN donate the the candidate of his choice and these donations ARE tiny and this does look like the right trying to turn nothing into something. If this gets trumped up, the right is going to end up looking stupid over it. Even more stupid if the donations turn out to be from mechanics and truck drivers and receptionists and just regular ordinary employees.

I see nothing wrong here and I don’t see Obama being “on the take” just because someone made a contribution. I don’t recall the DNC saying “if you work at a Shell station, you can’t donate to our party”. Come on, people. Lets not get stupid.

crosspatch on April 2, 2008 at 12:25 PM

freevillage on April 2, 2008 at 12:15 PM

Damned if we do, Damned if we don’t.

You don’t like Obama, you support the Soldiers but you don’t support the war?

upinak on April 2, 2008 at 12:28 PM

Oily Hypocrite! I’m so sick of this racist fraud and his ungrateful wife. Go back to your million dollar lifestyle and ivy leage jobs and shut the hell up!!!!

Winebabe on April 2, 2008 at 12:44 PM

First of all, don’t use this “post 9/11″ crap on me. If you woke up on 9/11 and learned of the existence of terrorism on that day, then don’t forget to remind yourself that every time you think you have an informed opinion about the world.

I don’t want to go back to that discussion as it’s pretty pointless at this moment. Inspectors were working in the country and they saw no trace of an active WMD program. I knew what Saddam had in store for us. Nothing.

At any case, the troops are there now and we’re discussing what to do next. I’m not saying let’s withdraw now. In part because it’s impossible. But a clear definition of victory would be desirable.

And I would also like a stop to this talk about how we’re permanently in a war state. I don’t like unchecked powers for the executive. Nobody’s saying let’s pretend the enemy doesn’t exist. But you can’t live in a perpetual fight. It’s also very destructive from the point of view of achieving goals. You gotta have time constraints and clear goals.

freevillage on April 2, 2008 at 1:32 PM

According to this article from 2006, Exxon made a profit of about 28 cents per gallon of gasoline, while the Federal government imposes an 18.4-cent tax, and state taxes average 27.6 cents a gallon.

Obama: “They’ll [the oil companies will] pay a penalty on windfall profits”

Truth: They already do.

If oil companies were not allowed to make a profit, the price of gasoline might drop to slightly below $3.00 per gallon. But since the oil companies would go out of business, gasoline would be extremely hard to find.

Steve Z on April 2, 2008 at 1:42 PM

freevillage on April 2, 2008 at 1:32 PM

war in any aspect does not go off of a time line and sometimes the goals can not be met due to circumstances beyond anyones control. I am pretty sure you really don’t understand that achieving a goal such as winning parts of a war, in turn is usually small outward steps before a big leap.

But I guess you knew that…. being in control and all.

upinak on April 2, 2008 at 1:45 PM

Steve Z on April 2, 2008 at 1:42 PM

Steve oil companies need to have at least 32.00 a bbl to make any money to be able to drill and produce. Anything less and they begin to “shut down” the smaller producing wells and then lay off people. That is just smart business. Also the Refineries set their own prices and those taxes are also “trickled down” to the consumer.

But what people do not understand is how much they are taxed in their State or community for that matter on Gasoline and Natrual Gas as well.

I am not saying Oil Companies are totally innocent. But you keep pointing a finger at someone for doing something they aren’t, you might want to point that finger at yourself.

upinak on April 2, 2008 at 1:49 PM