Dobson: I’m voting in November, but I won’t say for whom

posted at 11:41 am on April 1, 2008 by Allahpundit

His eleventh-hour cavalry charge for Huckabee went nowhere so it’s time for the next headline-grabbing ploy, a “will he or won’t he” flirtation with McCain on Hannity & Colmes. Give him the attention he craves, media; I’m still haunted by the thought of a spiteful, kamikaze third-party run.

Stressing that he was speaking as an individual [But of course. -- ed.], Dobson did not actually endorse McCain — yet. But he did tell Sean Hannity on the Fox News Channel that though he has “problems” with all three remaining presidential candidates, especially the two Democrats, he fully intended to vote on Nov. 4.

That was a signal to his followers that they might have to settle for the least-worst candidate, namely McCain.

“Let me just say,” Dobson said, “that I will certainly vote. I think we have a God-given responsibility to vote, and there are all of the candidates and the issues down the ballot that we have an obligation to weigh in on and let our voices be heard.”

Told that McCain had assured Hannity he would keep the pro-life and pro-marriage plans in the Republican platform, Dobson asked, “Did he give you a commitment about embryonic stem-cell research?” Hannity said, No.

“That’s an important one for me,” Dobson replied.

Heavy-handed attempt to squeeze a concession out of the nominee or early groundwork-laying for his dramatic announcement in, oh, say, late October for why he’s compelled to vote Democratic this year? Don’t laugh; he’s argued before on H&C that voting blue might very well serve the interests of social conservatives. Take a listen to this communique, issued eight short weeks ago, laying out reason after reason why Maverick doesn’t make the grade before sonorously concluding, “I cannot, and I will not, vote for Sen. John McCain as a matter of conscience.” Granted, we’re all having to come to terms with the idea of supporting Captain Amnesty, but eight weeks later and he’s already whittled his objections down to stem-cell research — which isn’t even much of an issue anymore? Good lord. Talk about forgiveness.

Comments

who cares? Really, there just aren’t that many folks who are going to look at McCain vs Obama on pro-life issues and decide that they are the same. Obama is 100% in favor of re-legalizing partial birth abortion. McCain supported using embryos that people had made for IVF and were just going to be thawed and trashed anyway for research.

Again, total no-brainer.

I’m not a Dobson fan at all anyway. I’ll repeat my call for McCain – Giuliani “08. The Bronx Cheer for Dobson and Coulter ticket.

(OK, really I hope he picks Sanford because I want the GOP to win)

funky chicken on April 1, 2008 at 11:45 AM

Ugh, if he thinks either of the Dems will support his social issues better than McCain he is simple minded or misinformed.

Dr. Manhattan on April 1, 2008 at 11:46 AM

So you agree with McCain on 2 of 3 social-related issues, he’s a “possibly” on the third, the two Dems are your complete opposite and you’ll potentially vote Dem?

amerpundit on April 1, 2008 at 11:46 AM

Oh please, you old fool!

Dread Pirate Roberts VI on April 1, 2008 at 11:47 AM

Loon.

jake-the-goose on April 1, 2008 at 11:47 AM

There’s a case of a goose calling someone a loon!

Dread Pirate Roberts VI on April 1, 2008 at 11:47 AM

And before anyone tells me, “Well, this way we’ll get a real conservative in 2012!” or “This way Republicans will feel free to criticize the President”, keep in mind we’re talking about social issues. Also keep in mind we’re talking about the next President deciding the next 2+ SCOTUS judges

amerpundit on April 1, 2008 at 11:47 AM

And we care because?

roux on April 1, 2008 at 11:49 AM

I can’t take seriously people like James Dobson. I have absolutely no feel or affinity for him.

The Democrat base is pretty much exclusively nutcases. I guess we have to have a few strange birds on our team, but that doesn’t mean that I have to try and understand them.

NoDonkey on April 1, 2008 at 11:51 AM

Pride comes before the Fall

jp on April 1, 2008 at 11:51 AM

simple minded or misinformed.

A little from Column A, a little from Column B…

Enrique on April 1, 2008 at 11:52 AM

One reason I’ve always been a little queasy about IVF is the fact that they create so many embryos, sometimes like 30 or something, and then just freeze them down. I’ve got a biochem degree and had some experiments in little tubes in liquid nitrogen, and still, it’s just kinda … odd for me.

But really, if the “parents” were going to just toss the “kids” in the trash anyway, there isn’t any reason to bar scientists from studying the cells. We’re not talking vivisection here.

funky chicken on April 1, 2008 at 11:53 AM

I really wish Dobson would be quiet. He doesn’t help.

CP on April 1, 2008 at 11:54 AM

amerpundit on April 1, 2008 at 11:47 AM

Throw the troops under the bus to keep the GOP pure. Yep, that’s a highly moral stand, for sure.

funky chicken on April 1, 2008 at 11:55 AM

keep in mind we’re talking about social issues

I’m of the opinion when it comes to social issues that you need to win the hearts of minds of the American public first. I don’t think social conservatives have done that, yet.

terryannonline on April 1, 2008 at 11:57 AM

I don’t give a rat’s a$$ who this man votes for. Shut the hell up!!! I’m sick of these evangelicals.

Winebabe on April 1, 2008 at 11:58 AM

Ditto. Dobson = Douche.

Jaibones on April 1, 2008 at 12:03 PM

I just went to the Constitution Party’s website and looked at some of their potential candidates.

IMO Alan Keyes and Roy Moore would make a ticket I could support. Much more palatable than McCain and whichever crony he picks.

America1st on April 1, 2008 at 12:04 PM

I’ve never felt comfortable with mixing politics and religion. The only thing I ever heard growing up in church were prayers for the country and the President (whoever was in the office at the time) and maybe, just perhaps, a mention that an election was coming up. No endorsements, no policy positions, just a suggestion that people should vote according to their principals.

And that was it.

Asher on April 1, 2008 at 12:04 PM

“Also keep in mind we’re talking about the next President deciding the next 2+ SCOTUS judges”

Every time I hear this I am struck by the naivete of the assumption that McCain is going to be any different on this issue than his opposition. He has given all kinds of indications that he will not be appointing strict constructionist’s. He disdains such and it is plenty obvious.

America1st on April 1, 2008 at 12:06 PM

OT, but I can’t believe this is a NYT story:

By STEVEN ERLANGER
Published: April 1, 2008
GAZA — In the Katib Wilayat mosque one recent Friday, the imam was discussing the wiliness of the Jew.

“Jews are a people who cannot be trusted,” Imam Yousif al-Zahar of Hamas told the faithful. “They have been traitors to all agreements — go back to history. Their fate is their vanishing. Look what they are doing to us.”

At Al Omari mosque, the imam cursed the Jews and the “Crusaders,” or Christians, and the Danes, for reprinting cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad. He referred to Jews as “the brothers of apes and pigs,” while the Hamas television station, Al Aksa, praises suicide bombing and holy war until Palestine is free of Jewish control.

Its videos praise fighters and rocket-launching teams; its broadcasts insult the Palestinian president, Mahmoud Abbas, for talking to Israel and the United States; its children’s programs praise “martyrdom,” teach what it calls the perfidy of the Jews and the need to end Israeli occupation over Palestinian land, meaning any part of the state of Israel.

funky chicken on April 1, 2008 at 12:07 PM

Dobson’s pathetic.

irishspy on April 1, 2008 at 12:08 PM

Wow, what’s up with all the Dobson hating here. Dobson is a good, principled man.

Livefreeordie on April 1, 2008 at 12:11 PM

I got a moment with John McCain, after an airport rally here in Orlando, to ask him about a report today by John Fund quoting some unnamed conservatives quoting McCain to the effect that, in Fund’s words, “[McCain] would be happy to appoint the likes of Chief Justice John Roberts to the Supreme Court. But he indicated he might draw the line on a Samuel Alito, because ‘he wore his conservatism on his sleeve.’”
“Let me just look you in the eye,” McCain told me. “I’ve said a thousand times on this campaign trail, I’ve said as often as I can, that I want to find clones of Alito and Roberts. I worked as hard as anybody to get them confirmed. I look you in the eye and tell you I’ve said a thousand times that I wanted Alito and Roberts. I have told anybody who will listen. I flat-out tell you I will have people as close to Roberts and Alito [as possible], and I am proud of my record of working to get them confirmed, and people who worked to get them confirmed will tell you how hard I worked.”
“I don’t get it,” McCain continued. “I have a clear record of that. All I can tell you is my record is clear: I’ve supported these guys. I went to the floor of the Senate and spoke in favor of them. It’s in the record, saying, ‘You’ve got to confirm these people.’”

funky chicken on April 1, 2008 at 12:13 PM

America1st on April 1, 2008 at 12:06 PM

You honestly think his picks will be anywhere near as bad as Barack Obama’s? McCain actively supported Roberts. How about Obama?

amerpundit on April 1, 2008 at 12:14 PM

I’m sick of these evangelicals.
Winebabe on April 1, 2008 at 11:58 AM

The only reason the MSM pays any attention to them at all is because they are the only ones left who buy a newspaper!!!

Dread Pirate Roberts VI on April 1, 2008 at 12:15 PM

Umm, Doug Kmiec went for Obama and Kmiec is against abortion, opposes the destruction of human embryos for research purposes, and supports judges like Roberts and Alito. Obama is against all of these things.

The endorsement world is just plain crazy right now. I can’t help but listen to it, but ultimately ignore its relevance.

gabriel sutherland on April 1, 2008 at 12:15 PM

Continuously gauging or comparing a moral standard against society’s highest standards reaches a point of diminishing returns. An asymptotic floor is reached where any further actions are futile. Zero abortions or zero embryos being used to advance biology will always be the goal if society agrees. Striving for zero libs in society will take millenia.

captivated_dem on April 1, 2008 at 12:16 PM

“unnamed conservatives”

These “conservative” McCain haters are as unpersuadable as the dopiest liberal.

Facts don’t matter. Their little feelings are hurt and nothing by submitting 1,000 posts a day about how they’re going to sit at home this fall, will salve them.

NoDonkey on April 1, 2008 at 12:16 PM

So I went to the record. Here’s what John McCain had to say about Samuel Alito on the floor of the Senate on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 (109th Congress, 2nd Session) when debate on the Alito nomination to the SCOTUS opened (taken from 152 Cong Rec S 35):

We know that elections have consequences. When President Bush ran for reelection, he stated plainly and often that if given the opportunity, he would nominate judges to the U.S. Supreme Court who strictly interpret the Constitution of the United States. True to his promise, the President nominated John Roberts to become the 18th Chief Justice of the United States. Just as true to his promise, he nominated Samuel Alito to serve as Associate Justice of the Supreme Court.
I was pleased that President Bush nominated Judge Alito, as were many other Members of this body. I reserved final judgment, as most of us did, until we saw the confirmation process proceed. I don’t take the Senate’s advice and consent role lightly. I didn’t want to encourage a rush to judgment.
The hearings have occurred, and I believe Judge Alito has performed admirably. There were 18 hours and 700 questions, and there probably would have been a lot more questions if there [*S63]
had not been the length of the questions, sometimes lasting as long as a half hour.
Anyway, I believe he is worthy of our support. As has been stated time after time on the floor, he earned the highest ratings of the American Bar Association.
Let me tell you what impresses me, Mr. President, probably as much as anything else. It is the strong endorsement Judge Alito got from the people who used to work for him. There is nobody who knows people better than those who work for you. There is a very impressive list of former law clerks of Judge Alito writing to urge the Senate to confirm him. As they state in their letter:

funky chicken on April 1, 2008 at 12:16 PM

Livefreeordie on April 1, 2008 at 12:11 PM

Who looks to grab media attention at every turn. This is the man who questioned Fred Thompson’s level of Christianity and at every turn makes demands and offers threats of not voting for the GOP nominee.

amerpundit on April 1, 2008 at 12:16 PM

In related news, I’m wearing clothes.

That’s just about as informative (even though it may cause some relief to ripple through the Hot Air community).

James on April 1, 2008 at 12:17 PM

The “McCain is for liberal justices” canard is moonshine being swallowed wholeheartedly by an awful lot of folks. Just like the “McCain is going to sell out out to Hanoi because the VC implanted something in him in the Hanoi Hilton” thing actually works on some people, I guess.

funky chicken on April 1, 2008 at 12:19 PM

America1st on April 1, 2008 at 12:04 PM

actually, you may feel like you are voting for Keyes but in reality you’ll be defacto voting Obama. for all practical purposes. basic math

jp on April 1, 2008 at 12:33 PM

With a Dem majority in Senate McCain will likely give us some combo of bush 41 picks. Thomas/Souter. a split…and getting through the thomas judge(Janice Rogers Brown?) will be a tough battle.

now get the Senate back to GOP and then maybe you get Roberts/Alito type.

its absurd to think McCain supports judges like Ginsburg

jp on April 1, 2008 at 12:35 PM

Ok, this still doesn’t quite rise to the level of stupidity of Jay Severin, who “wants McCain to win” but who “wouldn’t vote for him.”

freevillage on April 1, 2008 at 12:37 PM

File this under “who cares”

mattyj86 on April 1, 2008 at 12:40 PM

NoDonkey on April 1, 2008 at 11:51 AM

Wow talk about being simpleminded.

A Axe on April 1, 2008 at 12:49 PM

John McCain’s pledge to keep the pro-life and traditional marriage language in the Republican platform is supposed to satisfy social conservatives why exactly? For example, in one sentence he said he would keep the Marriage Amendment proposal in the Republican platform. Then, in the next sentence, he said, “But, you know, I don’t support a marriage amendment.” If you don’t support it, why keep it in the platform? And he does not support the call for a Human Life Amendment in the platform, but wants to keep it in there anyway? Is this the kind of straight talk that has made McCain famous?

medguy on April 1, 2008 at 12:52 PM

Now we can all exhale.

Akzed on April 1, 2008 at 1:04 PM

Whatever else you might say, Dr. Dobson is correct about this:

This November will offer me absolutely the worst choices for President that I’ve been offered in my lifetime.

Don’t get me wrong; I’ll cast my vote for McCain, he couldn’t possibly be worse than a vicious lie on thick legs or a closet theoretical Marxist, one of which is what it looks like the Democrats will be offering us. He’ll be better than that. But still…

The closest I can come to this is Ford v Carter, and frankly, Ford was better than McCain promises to be.

philwynk on April 1, 2008 at 1:15 PM

Modern day pharisee…….He’d have had Christ crucified for not forcing people to love God..Jesus wouldn’t have been an evangelical……….

adamsmith on April 1, 2008 at 1:18 PM

Jesus wouldn’t have been an evangelical……….

adamsmith on April 1, 2008 at 1:18 PM

Many evangelicals like myself do not identify with Dobson or his tactics. He doesn’t speak for me: never has, and never will.

You better take your words back!

newton on April 1, 2008 at 1:55 PM

It doesn’t matter what Dobson thinks. Nobody cares what he says politically because he’s a religious leader.

He’s going to vote for McCain. There was never a doubt. The first two words on this comment thread were the only ones that matter. . .

funky chicken said . . . ‘who cares?’

end of story.

BTW Wake Forest (my alma mater) just won the national debate championship after beating Dartmouth 5-0 last night. Wake always does well, and were runner up last year.

EAT THAT Yankee ivy league!

ThackerAgency on April 1, 2008 at 2:09 PM

Don’t know too much about Bob Barr, but there are rumors he will run. Would Dobson vote for him? Fairly conservative record from what I have read, but possible issues with infidelity. A third party candidate might be what Dobson would vote for, not voting for the Dem candidate but assisting their win by default while casting a vote for someone “acceptable.” Just thinking out loud.

cs89 on April 1, 2008 at 2:30 PM

..Jesus wouldn’t have been an evangelical……….

adamsmith on April 1, 2008 at 1:18 PM

Most of us are guilty of trying to create God in our own image. As an evangelical, I naturally assume Jesus would agree with me on certain issues (abortion, euthanasia come to mind) but I’m sure he would challenge me in many areas.

Probably challenge you in a few places too….

cs89 on April 1, 2008 at 2:33 PM

Why is it that every time Dobson is mentioned here, this place becomes about as hospitable for Christians as say YouTube is for conservatives?

Evangelical Christians are a part of this party, like it or not……and apparently most here do not. If you disagree with Dobson and his positions on some of the issues… fine. You don’t follow his work/don’t know who he is? That’s fine too. But why reserve the most hostile venom for this man, who, having written a number of books & hosts a daily radio show, is really acting no different than any of the other political figure/book writer/radio show host that we follow & discuss the opinions of each & every day?? I mean, is it really necessary to denigrate him this way every time his name is mentioned?

Cheesestick on April 1, 2008 at 2:52 PM

The perfect is the enemy of the good. In this case, Dr. Dobson has to spell out why a four-year McCain term, with the possibility that his stance on social issues or his choice of Supreme Court nominees might disappoint conservatives, would be worse than the election of Hillary or Obama, both of whom can be guaranteed to appoint judges and craft social issue legislation that will anger conservatives.

On the other hand, while the nomination of one or two pro-choice Supreme Court justices might not be good for abortion opponents — let alone the children to be aborted — they no doubt would be great for Dr. Dobson’s fundraising efforts between 2009 and 2012. And if filling Focus on the Family’s financial coffers through outrage over dead fetuses due to future Supreme Court rulings is what’s really important to Dr. Dobson, he ought to come out and say so right now.

jon1979 on April 1, 2008 at 2:59 PM

Now I understand WHY Huck was so popular. We have people in our own party who Hate the fact we are pro-life. Even people here hate the fact the republican party is pro-life. I was not a Huck supporter but wow if we had a chance to renominate a candidate I would support Huck with all of my heart. We have people here on this board who hate pro-lifers and what them to shut up WOW

BroncosRock on April 1, 2008 at 3:10 PM

Dobson and his people is what got the Republican party the majority in 2004. Hope you people here love being in the minority party for a long time.

BroncosRock on April 1, 2008 at 3:12 PM

For those of you who believe that McCain won’t support liberal or moderates who can be pressured by the media to support liberal policy on the SC are being suckered. McCain will BRING BACK MONEY into Politics aka McCain Faingold.

BroncosRock on April 1, 2008 at 3:15 PM

Allow this Mitt supporter to continue to snicker at the damage Huck’s misbegotten campaign continues to do to the GOP. You reap what you sow, knuckleheads.

WasatchMan on April 1, 2008 at 3:18 PM

Is anybody here dumb enough to believe that McCain can win solely with secular voters? If so, go to the next comment. Otherwise, do you think trashing religious voters is going to make them more likely to go out and vote for McCain in November?

corona on April 1, 2008 at 3:29 PM

jon1979 on April 1, 2008 at 2:59 PM

There it is, in a nutshell. And you people who think McCain is gonna nominate liberal justices have chosen to create your own reality that is completely opposite of the man’s 26 year voting and speaking record in the House and the Senate.

Really, you’re just spouting garbage based on lies. I don’t know where/who fed you the belief that McCain, say, opposed Alito, but it’s simply false.

funky chicken on April 1, 2008 at 3:34 PM

Oh, and I’m a Christian, and a conservative.

funky chicken on April 1, 2008 at 3:35 PM

A true religious voter would not support the abortion on demand candidates. Those that claim to be pro-life and vote for Hillary or Hussien are nothing but a bunch of hypocrites!

Winebabe on April 1, 2008 at 3:39 PM

I really can’t seem to understand why so many of you hate Dobson. It’s not like he called H&C and said put me on your show. No, they called him. The headline clearly says Dobson, so if you hate him so much and don’t think what he says matters. Why take the time to read this story and right hate filled comments.

LMM on April 1, 2008 at 3:44 PM

BroncosRock on April 1, 2008 at 3:10 PM

You are not alone.

I don’t know how it will happen, I only know that it will happen, because the Holy Spirit told me…

Mike Huckabee will be the next President of the United States.

It will be a miracle, and God will get the glory.

Red Pill on April 1, 2008 at 3:51 PM

I read here frequently, but seldom post. What’s with the animosity toward James Dobson? Back when he was saying he couldn’t vote for Thompson, he was dissed for, “improperly using his pulpit to tell other people what to do.

Now he’s being dissed because he won’t reveal who he’s going to vote for?

Yeah, he should just shut up, because he’s not entitled to free speech unless he agrees with you, right?

Sheesh.

JannyMae on April 1, 2008 at 4:06 PM

LMM on April 1, 2008 at 3:44 PM

The answers to your questions lie here.

Don’t assume that Hot Air commenters are Republicans…It appears that there are a lot of Democratic Socialist trolls here, and they hate the Religious Right.

Red Pill on April 1, 2008 at 4:41 PM

Red Pill on April 1, 2008 at 3:51 PM

Let’s see, how do I say this?…

It appears that you are offering a prophetic word. The proof of whether you are correctly hearing the voice of God will be clear to all in a matter of months.

Tread cautiously.

I only offer my personal opinion and political thoughts, but I think you are quite wrong. Huckabee ran, and lost.

As a Christian, who disagrees with Huckabee on several issues, I must note that if he had won the nomination I would have had a similar amount of difficulty voting for him as I will have for McCain.

Huckabee is a phony, and lost the primary. Deal with it, and please try to leave God’s authority out of your personal opinions.

cs89 on April 1, 2008 at 4:42 PM

Red Pill on April 1, 2008 at 4:41 PM

The Republican party is filled with several different groups and they don’t always agree, but that doesn’t mean there

“Democratic Socialist Trolls”

LMM on April 1, 2008 at 6:25 PM

amerpundit on April 1, 2008 at 12:16 PM

He is in a position to voice his opinion and have it heard, unlike many TRUE conservatives. He is the voice of conservatives who have little or no exposure in the MSM. John McCain is a liberal, and too many people seem to forget that fact. I, for one, will not vote against my conscience in November, which means I cannot vote for any of the current candidates. I’m going Constitution Party. Maybe Dobson will too.

Livefreeordie on April 1, 2008 at 10:07 PM

I respect Dr. Dobson; his ministries have, through the years, helped many people. But he isn’t a Samuel. He doesn’t crown kings. My opinion of whom to vote for isn’t swayed by his opinion. It may be news to some on the left, but we conservatives think for ourselves; we are not merely “ditto-heads” nodding in agreement while chewing our cud.
I made peace with voting for McCain when he became the Republican nominee. I would love to see Romney jump in a week before the convention, offering himself as an alternative to McCain…but I live in the real world, and know that that won’t happen.
McCain is “Right”, Obama and Clinton are two “Lefts”-make two lefts, and you’re heading back where you came from.

Doug on April 2, 2008 at 12:58 AM

Ok, I am probably the most “radical” Christian here and even *I* don’t care what Dobson says or thinks. We Christians do NOT vote for anyone based on what ANY Christian leader says. We are smart. We make our own informed decisions. Many of us were very excited Mitt supporters and are still mourning his departure.

The Dobsons, Robertsons, Falwells, etc have been replaced by Benny Hinn, Joyce Meyer, John Hagee, Joel Osteen etc–none of whom will influence how we vote.

PoliticallyIncorrectSandy on April 2, 2008 at 8:09 AM

That was a signal to his followers…

When will non-Christian realize we only follow Christ? This idea that evangelicals are sitting around waiting to get marching orders from any media-appointed leader of Christianity is just insulting. It is as though the ill-informed media pundits think we have no ability to think for ourselves. AP, and anyone else with that mindset, it isn’t that we follow Dobson; it is that he is in agreement with us and has the microphone.

Sensei Ern on April 2, 2008 at 9:52 AM