NY Post: Columbia noose probe may be focusing on victim

posted at 10:50 am on March 31, 2008 by Allahpundit

Emphasis on “may” because they’re more confident than I am that subpoenaing her personnel records means they’re eyeing her as the suspect. It could be that they’re at a dead end in the investigation — which they are — and want to see if there’s any evidence in the files of someone bearing her a grudge.

Now that we’ve dispensed with our exercise of caution, read on:

The incident happened at the height of the school’s probe of plagiarism charges against her…

In addition to the plagiarism report, investigators want to examine all the information gleaned during the university’s probe and by a law firm and private investigator hired by the school to investigate the plagiarism allegations.

They also want Constantine’s financial contract with the school – which would include her salary, benefits and pension – and any other administrative personnel and academic records.

Sources said the records would provide investigators with a timeline on the tightly guarded 18-month plagiarism probe and what Constantine – one of only two tenured black Teachers College professors – stood to possibly lose if she were found guilty and her job were threatened.

The revelation that Constantine had been under university review provides a possible motive for a sympathetic friend to consider placing a noose on her door – thinking it could whip up support for her, sources said.

Here’s the New York Penal Code; scroll down to 240.50 to see what she’ll be charged with if she’s guilty, presuming they charge her with anything. Maximum sentence for a Class B misdemeanor, notwithstanding the countless hours spent chasing leads and the agony caused on campus: Three months.

Comments

I emailed this to my lefty friends the day I saw it and said “$20 says she did it herself.”

Because after all, everyone knows Columbia is just a hotbed of racism after all.

fudgypup on March 31, 2008 at 11:03 AM

Is that she felt it necessary to stage a phony attack on herself, evidence enough that there must be someone to blame (other than herself, of course because as a woman and a minority, she can do no wrong)?

“Someone” better get arrested or charged with this hate crime soon, or there will be the usual marches, vandalism, threats of violence, etc., associated with the kind, tolerant and intelligent left.

NoDonkey on March 31, 2008 at 11:04 AM

Sadly, I’m not surprised.

Sekhmet on March 31, 2008 at 11:04 AM

They’ll probably never be able to prove it, but the sleazy professor seems to be the most likely suspect. It wouldn’t be the first time (and sadly, probably won’t be the last time) that a black person of questionable ethics tries to portray herself as a victim of racism in order to divert attention from her own considerable failings as a human being.

AZCoyote on March 31, 2008 at 11:12 AM

Two basic rules of police investigation.

1. If the wife turns up murdered, suspect the husband.

2. If an academic is the victim of a hate crime, suspect the academic.

Cicero43 on March 31, 2008 at 11:13 AM

Her sentencing guidelines should be the same as those for the crime she falsely reported.

Morontrix.

Akzed on March 31, 2008 at 11:23 AM

Gasp! A black, liberal, race-grievance monger faking racism? What’s next?! Are they going to accuse Obama of lying?

Jaibones on March 31, 2008 at 11:27 AM

100% fool-proof way to find the criminal in cases like this:
arrest the dolt who made the complaint.

Those wanna-be victims can finally get their wish!

It’s a variant of the old “Susan Smith” theory.
By the way, Smith is due to get out of the clink in 2024.

TexasJew on March 31, 2008 at 11:44 AM

Alright Hussein. Do you see you your Uncle Pastor Wright started?

saved on March 31, 2008 at 11:57 AM

Is the noose tightening?

Wade on March 31, 2008 at 12:11 PM

I first heard of this incident on the BBC World Service.
If she is responsible for this will we get further coverage from outlets like the BBC? Don’t hold your breath.

RobCon on March 31, 2008 at 12:15 PM

The noose tightens.

Check the prof’s hardware store purchase records.

Rope a dope.

profitsbeard on March 31, 2008 at 12:28 PM

If she loses her job, I hear there might be an opening at Trinity United Church in Chicago.

THE CHOSEN ONE on March 31, 2008 at 12:35 PM

Obama to the rescue. Veep her into Executive Branch of Criminal Protection.

gabriel sutherland on March 31, 2008 at 12:42 PM

These lefty professors live in a bubble and they begin to believe their own lies after awhile.

RobCon on March 31, 2008 at 12:52 PM

Is the noose tightening?

Wade on March 31, 2008 at 12:11 PM

Sweet.

iurockhead on March 31, 2008 at 1:07 PM

With all the other accusations she’s facing that include plaguerism, maybe she and Ward Churchill can start their own University and name it F.U. That seems to be the attitude both have towards the gullible general public and personal integrity.

greasywrench on March 31, 2008 at 1:58 PM

Always the victim and never a grownup. What a childish way to solve her problem.

UnEasyRider on March 31, 2008 at 2:36 PM

I can’t believe it’s taken this long to start to look at the obvious. This is effing Columbia we’re talking about. The narcissism necessary to believe that all those horrible (not to mention distorted and magnified) instances of hatred and intolerance that we as students are now forced to study at length could happen right on your very own Ivy League moonbat campus is beyond even what your average flower-child Boomer can lay claim to.

I’m going to go out on a limb and say the editorials covering the horrifying and horrifyingly trendy hate crime will be longer and more plentiful than the editorials covering the revelation that the conscience of the rich, white liberal was once again played like a flute.

HitNRun on March 31, 2008 at 2:38 PM

When she admits having put the noose on her own doorknob, allow me predict her defense:

As a person-of-color, having lived all of my life in persecution, and never having had anything given to me, because of the color of my skin, and having anticipated the racist thoughts of the white students who walk by me on campus, and who don’t even acknowledge my presence, as I pass by them, of course, because they are racists – I admit having placed the noose on my own doorknob, but it is possible that, had I not done so, a white student, following in the footsteps of his racist ancestry, could’ve put a noose there.

Had I not acted, it could’ve happened. I simply acted before a racist act was bound to occur.

OhEssYouCowboys on March 31, 2008 at 2:39 PM

She didn’t do it! African-Americans do not know how to
tie a “noose-knot”. Only white racists know this.

gary on March 31, 2008 at 3:39 PM

No noose is good noose.

NoDonkey on March 31, 2008 at 4:15 PM

She was just playing CYA by taking cover behind the Jena-6 race-card. I mean really… who even sees nooses as a ‘racial’ slight and who would do so at an uber-Lefty haven like Columbia University?

DANEgerus on March 31, 2008 at 5:34 PM

When my wife worked at Sarah lawrence there was an Asian girl who did something similar to get attention, and when I went to finish my Master’s last summer at Wesleyan they were atwitter about a “hate crime” in one of the bathrooms where someone wrote “faggot” on a stall-next to the usual “8in-Uncut looking for sucking” notes. Turns out there too it was just a bathroom personal ad.

These scams are so prevalent that I alsmost think it’s a lefty pathology, they maybe don’t feel whole unless they’ve been personally victimized.

Rob Taylor on March 31, 2008 at 8:01 PM