Hillary’s Zero-Payor Health Care Plan

posted at 3:15 pm on March 31, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

Yesterday, Allahpundit posted on the Politico’s story about the Hillary Clinton team not paying their bills. Today Kenneth Vogel digs a little deeper, and discovers that Team Hillary’s commitment to universal health care doesn’t even extend to her own employees. Almost $300,000 in health-plan premiums went unpaid despite Hillary making universal coverage a centerpiece of her campaign:

Among the debts reported this month by Hillary Rodham Clinton’s struggling presidential campaign, the $292,000 in unpaid health insurance premiums for her campaign staff stands out.

Clinton, who is being pressured to end her campaign against Barack Obama for the Democratic nomination, has made her plan for universal health care a centerpiece of her agenda.

The campaign provides health insurance to all its employees, their spouses, partners and children — and that wasn’t interrupted by any lag in payments to insurance providers, said Jay Carson, a Clinton campaign spokesman. … But the unpaid bills to Aetna were at least two months old, according to FEC filings.

They show the campaign ended last year owing Aetna more than $213,000 for “employee benefits.”

During the first two months of the year, the campaign did not pay down any of that debt. In fact, it accrued another $16,000 in unpaid bills last month, and it finished the month owing Aetna $229,000.

So now we’ve gone from single-payor to zero-payor!

Seriously, did no one at Team Hillary consider how this would look when the campaign announced its numbers? They want to run Hillary as the compassionate candidate, the one who really cares about the people. She cares so much and has so many ideas for helping us that, as Hillary admitted, we can’t afford all of them, even though she has no problem with taking our money “for [our] own good”.

Maybe charity should start at home, or at least health-insurance coverage. If Hillary and her team can’t keep up with the Aetna bills now, why should we trust them to do so in the White House?

Here’s a look at her health care insurance commercial from a few weeks back. Ask yourself how she can make these claims while leaving her own employees at risk of health-care denials.

Jason at Poligazette adds:

These deadbeat financial machinations are doubly ironic coming from the campaign of the self-appointed avatar of blue-collar workers and those without health insurance. If Hillary Clinton won’t pay those local companies who put together her campaign events, how can she be trusted to manage the whole economy in a time of deep economy crisis? And if Hillary Clinton won’t even pay the premiums of her own campaign staff, how can she be trusted to demand employers pay stiff new mandates for universal health care?

Comments

Do as I say, not as I do.

Tony737 on March 31, 2008 at 3:19 PM

How has she blown all the money she raised and she’s still losing to this political neophyte?

Hard to believe Democrat could blow through that much money and have nothing at all to show for it.

On second thought, it’s pretty typical for Democrats to blow that much money and have nothing at all to show for it.

NoDonkey on March 31, 2008 at 3:19 PM

Because nothing matters to her but that she decided she was going to be the first aggrieved minority elected president and it’s her turn now.

Czarina Cankles ain’t getting any younger or gaining any friends long-term. Only those with FBI and Clinton fingerprints….

Branch Rickey on March 31, 2008 at 3:20 PM

LOL. What a great find!

a capella on March 31, 2008 at 3:22 PM

Czarina Cankles ain’t getting any younger or gaining any friends long-term. Only those with FBI files that have and Clinton fingerprints on them….

Branch Rickey on March 31, 2008 at 3:20 PM

sorry – bad typing….

Branch Rickey on March 31, 2008 at 3:23 PM

Just want to give a shout out and mad props to my peeps in the Democrat party for giving us such outstanding candidates as Barry and Hilly! Serious candidates for serious times. Well done indeed.

Sugar Land on March 31, 2008 at 3:25 PM

“Leave her alone!!! You have no idea what she’s going through! She’s sleep deprived!!!!!!”

Akzed on March 31, 2008 at 3:26 PM

If the Clinton campaign doesn’t pay Aetna, but Aetna continues to provide the benefits does that qualify as an “in-kind” campaign donation? Wouldn’t that be an illegal campaign donation by a corporation to a presidential campaign? Especially if it’s more than $229,000 that is a much as 90-days delinquent?

Hmmm.

Perfesser on March 31, 2008 at 3:27 PM

I can think of a good fund raiser.

Who would not pay to see a debate between Ms. Inevitable and Michelle Obama?

Put it on Pay-per-view.

NoDonkey on March 31, 2008 at 3:33 PM

For how long would ignorant, pissants like us have insurance, if we were 2 months in arrears on the premium payments? Why is it that the asses of the elites are always covered?

OhEssYouCowboys on March 31, 2008 at 3:34 PM

Maybe this is a clever ploy to demonstrate that if even millionaires like Hillary can’t afford health insurance for their employees we must need Hillary’s nationalized program.

Buy Danish on March 31, 2008 at 3:36 PM

I can think of a good fund raiser.

Who would not pay to see a debate bare knuckle brawl between Ms. Inevitable and Michelle Obama?

Put it on Pay-per-view.

NoDonkey on March 31, 2008 at 3:33 PM

Only if the people who benefit monetarily are the Law Enforcement and Marine Corps. Foundation hahahaha

Branch Rickey on March 31, 2008 at 3:39 PM

Chelsey just commented on this issue…”Frankly it’s none of your business!” (sarc off)

MNDavenotPC on March 31, 2008 at 3:41 PM

I always thought it was payer, not payor.

cntrlfrk on March 31, 2008 at 3:42 PM

Is anyone going to lose a job over all these unpaid bills? Not a Clinton campaign staff member, but someone with a real job at one of these businesses, who has to be let go because the business is short on money.

If she can’t even get someone in to manage her campaign right, how can she manage being president?

rbj on March 31, 2008 at 3:45 PM

Hmmm.

Perfesser on March 31, 2008 at 3:27 PM

I like the way you are thinking…
This is like Pelosi standing up for union farm workers, but not allowing a union to represent her workers on her grape/wine fields. The reason? It would make her un-competitive in the market place.

right2bright on March 31, 2008 at 3:48 PM

NoDonkey on March 31, 2008 at 3:19 PM

Amen to that!

Pam on March 31, 2008 at 3:49 PM

Hey, zero-payer! No taxes required to support this program! She’s a GENIUS, commence the coronation!

- Liberal thinking run amuk

JustTruth101 on March 31, 2008 at 3:52 PM

NoDonkey on March 31, 2008 at 3:19 PM

Almost right on this one. Actually they aren’t used to spending their own money, that is what is so confusing to them. They are used to spending everyone eles’s…

right2bright on March 31, 2008 at 3:53 PM

How interesting that Aetna continues the coverage month after month without payment.

My health insurer has made it VERY clear that if my payment is wrong, or a day late, that my policy is subject to cancellation.

JiangxiDad on March 31, 2008 at 3:55 PM

“Only if the people who benefit monetarily are the Law Enforcement and Marine Corps. Foundation”

I’d say “catfight” except a fight between Hillary and Michelle Oh! would be akin to one between a panther and a bengal tiger, which isn’t usually what we have in mind for these things.

Especially since with these felines, we want ever stitch of clothing to remain on (please, for the love of god!).

NoDonkey on March 31, 2008 at 4:10 PM

I’m tickled by the fact that some are just discovering that liberals are hypocrites.

Spolitics on March 31, 2008 at 4:10 PM

She can’t run her own campaign efficiently, but she can run the world’s largest economy efficiently.

Right.

AZCoyote on March 31, 2008 at 4:11 PM

JiangxiDad on March 31, 2008 at 3:55 PM

Obviously Hillary has an FBI file on the CEO of Aetna.

Del Dolemonte on March 31, 2008 at 4:16 PM

Herself raises millions and spends inordinate amounts of those millions on her Friends/Familiars/Contract Flying Monkeys/Consultants who infest Hillaryland. Sweet deal. I wonder where she has her moron brothers tucked away on her payroll?

GeneSmith on March 31, 2008 at 4:20 PM

Wade on March 31, 2008 at 3:59 PM

I just looked at the article you linked. Is she a total idiot? Most people without insurance are between jobs. What wages does she plan to garnish?

Spolitics on March 31, 2008 at 4:20 PM

Obviously, the next Hillary staffers that get struck down by sniper fire are completely on their own.

Cicero43 on March 31, 2008 at 4:23 PM

I’m a broker for several Health Insurance carriers and i can GARAN-DAMN-TEE YOU that if ANY of my customers went for more than 31 days, their policies would be suspended. There is always a 30 day grace period, but that’s it, no longer than that.

This should have had the big red Tee bone label on it!

Markvike on March 31, 2008 at 4:25 PM

JiangxiDad on March 31, 2008 at 3:55 PM
Del Dolemonte on March 31, 2008 at 4:16 PM

I think what Aetna is doing is standard. It doesn’t really cost them anything to “cover” them while they’re in default and they stand to gain hundreds of thousands of dollars in payments. If someone gets sick and tries to get treatment, I don’t think Aetna would have to pay for it because the account is in default.

Spolitics on March 31, 2008 at 4:27 PM

I am recently unemployed after working for a company for 13 years. I also live in MA where it is illegal to not have health insurance. Being unemployed has given me new insight into healthcare and what I see is pretty dismal. Unemployment will pay me 650 dollars a week and mandatory health insurance will cost me 1329 dollars a month which is more than half my months unemployment and that’s not counting dental which is about another 350 a month. What I realize is that few of us really understand how much of our income goes to insurance, be it auto, health or home all of which is illegal not to have here in MA. I now believe a great many of us work to pay insurance and I’m beginning to wonder why? Last year I paid over $15000.00 into health insurance and when my son was hurt I had to fight them to cover a lousy 700 dollar medical fee. Is universal health care the answer? I don’t know but I do think something has to be done to put some controls on insurance. Maybe it’s tort reform or maybe something different. All I know is that at 53 years old it’s going to be tough to find a job and even tougher to pay the bills. There goes the savings and retirement.

jmarcure on March 31, 2008 at 4:31 PM

Why did that come out as a quote? The preview wasn’t and I didn’t ask it to do quote. Strange happenings at HA there are.

jmarcure on March 31, 2008 at 4:33 PM

jmarcure on March 31, 2008 at 4:31 PM

In most states, you can safeguard yourself with a high deductable policy just to cover you against an emergency. You can get a $5,000 deductable policy for $50-75/month.
The real pisser… I just heard MA’s new connector banned those policies… exactly the kind of policy that makes the most sense for a healthy person between jobs.

Spolitics on March 31, 2008 at 4:37 PM

Maybe it’s tort reform ….jmarcure on March 31, 2008 at 4:31 PM

That is a damned good start.

Wade on March 31, 2008 at 4:38 PM

Spolitics on March 31, 2008 at 4:37 PM
You can get a $5,000 deductable policy for $50-75/month.

I am looking for a deal like that. My current cost per month for me and the wife is $1570

Wade on March 31, 2008 at 4:41 PM

If Hillary’s campaign is like my employer, they are taking some money out of each employee’s paycheck to at least partially pay for medical coverage. What are they doing with that money if they aren’t paying the insurance fees with it? Does it constitute an involuntary contribution to her political campaign? Isn’t there a law against that?

Socratease on March 31, 2008 at 4:59 PM

The rate I gave you was for a single male in CA. What you get in MA will be different, but it still might beat what you’re paying now (I’m assuming your quote if for COBRA). Do a search for “High Deductible” or “Catastrophic Health Insurance” for your state. I’m not sure if they have HD family plans, but it might be possible for you an your wife to get your own coverage if it’s just until you get another job.

Spolitics on March 31, 2008 at 5:04 PM

Cutting Hillary 90 days + is an “arrangement” and as any small business will tell you, we do not get these types of float, especially from insurance companies. We get letters at 15 days past due, 31 days, and 45 days is termination.

Starlink on March 31, 2008 at 4:59 PM

This is true. I once had a bank issued check get lost and bingo. Canceled. Took 3 weeks to get the account straightened away. This was United Health Care and they did not take bank transfers from Bank of America (Bill Pay), and still don’t. So the bank issues a check and sends it through the post office. Then someone has to key in the check at United Health Care accounts receivable. And we wonder why health care costs so much.

Wade on March 31, 2008 at 5:12 PM

Starlink on March 31, 2008 at 4:59 PM

Wade on March 31, 2008 at 5:12 PM

Interesting. I had a totally different experience with COBRA. I kept trying to cancel and they kept giving me grace periods and increasing the balance. It went of for three months before I got it straightened out. But I guess that’s the difference between consumer and business owner. Also, I’m sure it’s different from state to state.

Spolitics on March 31, 2008 at 5:21 PM

AETNA is a terrible insurance company. It wouldn’t shock me if they had a deal with Hill.

As for the insurance needing $15,000, what the heck company is THAT? Are you sure it wasn’t the hospital/MD charging that? If your insurance company is expecting that much in premium, I suspect you should look for another one.

mjk on March 31, 2008 at 5:24 PM

As for the insurance needing $15,000, what the heck company is THAT?

mjk, in some states that is not an unusual premium – especially for “family” coverage including both parents and 2 children. The money’s NOT going to the Dr.’s. They get significantly less (30% or more less) from insurance plans that we would pay as individuals for the same service. The insurance companies get the $.

Perfesser on March 31, 2008 at 6:09 PM

Obama should swoop in and pick up the tab. It would be political gold.

daryl_herbert on March 31, 2008 at 6:48 PM

Daryl has the best idea. BO’s team should do a campaign commercial spelling this all out.
Keep it up Hilly, I wanna see you go down in flames.

Christine on March 31, 2008 at 7:16 PM

The transparent lies and hypocrisy from her just keep coming and coming. How on earth can these people support her?

JimC on March 31, 2008 at 9:55 PM

What ever happened to Ira Magaziner? McCain should track himdown and have him explain Hillarycare.

snaggletoothie on March 31, 2008 at 11:42 PM

Buy Danish on March 31, 2008 at 3:36 PM

It may not be the intention, but that is the way to play it. Even the best employers with the best of intentions can’t possibly keep up with the health care needs of their employees, so it simply must fall to the government to take care of these folks.

What’s that old line? You think it’s expensive (and unresponsive) now, wait until it’s “free”.

Stegall Tx on April 1, 2008 at 9:58 AM