Video: Chicago’s got a fever and the only prescription is more Jeremiah Wright!

posted at 2:35 pm on March 29, 2008 by Allahpundit

Recognize the tool with his hand to his ear, encouraging the thunderous cheers for Rev. “America created AIDS”? I only know him by name, from his highly nuanced admonition to a gun-shop owner last year that he’d better “hide like a rat” before the forces of peace and tolerance “snuff” him out. The boss has all the background you need — and you do need it, believe me. The more this atheist hears from Obama’s clerical pals, the more intrigued I am. Did I miss some key passages in the gospels growing up Catholic? Chickens “roosting” in the form of jets exploding into office towers, ideological opponents being hunted down like rodents — it’s a new, exciting side to Christianity!

Exit question quotation: “I think there is a big difference between expressing the pain and anger that many African Americans and other people of color may feel versus language that I think now crosses the line and goes into hate.” Click the image to watch.

pfleger.jpg

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Conversely, that also applies to the “Black National Anthem” and not in a good way.

baldilocks on March 29, 2008 at 5:19 PM

If you’re still here can you please enlighten me about the “not in a good way” part?

12thman on March 29, 2008 at 7:38 PM

Only that anyone can take an innocent song about love of country–in spite of constant oppression (the author died in 1938)–and twist it to suit some other meaning.

baldilocks on March 29, 2008 at 7:57 PM

Nice job.

I meant, aengus, of course, that you did a nice job of responding to THE CHOSEN ONE. (IOW it wasn’t sarcastic, though I just realized it could read like that. )

inviolet on March 29, 2008 at 7:57 PM

hahaha I see our posts crossed. Glad it was clear.

inviolet on March 29, 2008 at 7:58 PM

baldilocks on March 29, 2008 at 7:57 PM

Ok, thank you. I think we share a similar understanding of the song’s intent and history.

12thman on March 29, 2008 at 8:09 PM

Haha yeah when I first saw it I thought it was sarcastic but just to be sure I went back and read your other comment (“Aengus is right”) and then I knew you were being sincere.

aengus on March 29, 2008 at 8:10 PM

Exit Question: Absolutely there is a line. Most of Wright’s rantings were against the government. Want to accuse the U.S. government of inventing AID’s? OK, but you’re an idiot. Want to accuse the white government for holding you down? Ever hear of the Congressional Black Caucus? Your people are part of the government as well, so again you sound like an idiot.

However, nearly 3,000 died 11 September 2001. To refer to that day as America’s foriegn policy “coming home to roost” is not just insensative, it’s cruel to the family members of the victims.

Hate doesn’t know color. We are either going to allow hate speach or we are not. I prefer we not regardless of who the speaker is.

Hog Wild on March 29, 2008 at 8:36 PM

If having disdain for all organized religious clergy makes me a bigot then:

American by birth, bigot by the grace of god.

THE CHOSEN ONE on March 29, 2008 at 8:41 PM

baldilocks on March 29, 2008 at 7:53 PM

Sorry! D’uh on my part. I made the mistake of viewing it through the distorted prism of B.L.T., and didn’t take the time to research it properly after being put off by the initial description that it was a Black National Anthem.

Buy Danish on March 29, 2008 at 8:44 PM

If having disdain for all organized religious clergy makes me a bigot then:

American by birth, bigot by the grace of god.

If your disdain weren’t based on lies and insults nobody would be calling you a bigot. I thanked AprilOrbit for correctly highlighting Catholic anti-semitism. You on the other hand are trying to smear the Catholic Church by blaming it for the Holocaust and now that myself and inviolet have disproven your lies you’re trying to subtly suggest that you’re being unfairly labelled due to your disdain for organised religion (another lie). Nice try but it won’t work.

aengus on March 29, 2008 at 8:54 PM

aengus on March 29, 2008 at 8:54 PM

Look here aengus, I’ll splain this then we’ll share a toasty pint. I never blamed the Catholic church for the Holocaust, but did merely report fact that they didn’t make one of their infamous moral stands to impede it. If I stated that somewhere in the text, please bring it to my attention. Secondly, being an Irishmen, you should know more than any the destructive divisive nature of the topic.

THE CHOSEN ONE on March 29, 2008 at 9:06 PM

Agnostic dittos.

Yep, Wright demonstrates there’s a world of difference between expressing pain and anger versus hate mongering.

I’m surprised he re-surfaced so soon. My bet was that he’d lay low until the coast was clear for Obama. But now I’m wondering if he’s intending to pick a fight with ‘working class America’ to turn up the heat on the demagoguery.

petefrt on March 29, 2008 at 9:10 PM

Buy Danish on March 29, 2008 at 8:44 PM

Whew! You were scaring me. :-) Thanks for that.

This is what I hate about the Wrights of this country–they can make the most innocent things suspect.

baldilocks on March 29, 2008 at 9:21 PM

Oh yeah, did anyone see Rev. Wright’s new house? I wonder where he got the loot to afford that? Oh, yeah…organized religion.

THE CHOSEN ONE on March 29, 2008 at 9:21 PM

THE CHOSEN ONE on March 29, 2008 at 9:06 PM

I went back and read your initial comment on the subject and realised you were not attacking the Catholic Church for being complicit in the Holocaust (at first) but actually attacking Pope Benedict for supposedly collaborating with the Nazi during the Holocaust.

Someone tell this new foreign policy expert pope not to chime in on our Iraq Lberation, and I want ask him AGAIN to apologize for collaborating with the Nazi during the Holocaust.

THE CHOSEN ONE on March 29, 2008 at 4:12 PM

For crying out loud TCO, he was a young man who did everything he could to avoid being drafted into the Hitler Youth – going into seminary, requesting members of seminary be exempt from military service – but in the end they drafted him anyway. When the Nazis invaded Poland they forced John Paul II to clean toilets for them. This is not collaboration.

Also, the last time you blamed the Pope for interfering with the Iraq Liberation I asked you to cite some document that establishes this and you didn’t. So on that count I don’t know if what you say about it is true or not true. I only know that I don’t know and you won’t tell me.

Please, the Catholic church has had its problems from the Inquisition to the Holocaust

The article inviolet linked, using PUBLIC sources of the day, shows that they did what Jesus’ example would have any of do – passive resistance. I mean considering that since the March on Rome they were staying afloat in a fascist country allied with Nazi Germany they took great risks in saving the lives of Jews.

I know the divisiveness of the topic. People say you should never discuss politics or religion but seeing as I enjoy talking about these two topics so much I’m willing to risk getting into controversial arguments even if it leaves a bad taste.

aengus on March 29, 2008 at 9:32 PM

aengus on March 29, 2008 at 9:32 PM

No problem with the content here. When I referred to the Pope interfering, I was referring to his statements within the last few weeks. I saw it on Drudge and it made my blood boil merely because the home nation of his beloved church is today free because of the sacrifice of war mongering italians, british, canadians, aussies, and yanks. It’s time the Americans got the benefit of the doubt. We don’t take land and treasure from conquered nations, we rebuild them so we can live in peace and harmony. I would think any higher power would find that to be blessed way of conducting themselves, no?

THE CHOSEN ONE on March 29, 2008 at 9:44 PM

Well I don’t read Drudge and I won’t know what he said unless you link it. I don’t agree with the Iraq war in its current manifestation but I don’t think the US is morally wrong in its intentions just sadly mistaken in its befuddled war aims.

aengus on March 29, 2008 at 9:54 PM

Here ya go, just one of many, but pushed for time because my beloved Tar Heels are kicking the sh&t out of Louisville here in a few minutes. Notice the “end the slaughter” comment second paragraph in. This asshole needs to remember that we took down a man who slaughtered a quarter of a million(conservative estimate) innocent women, children, and men. War has never solved anything except colonialism, naziism, communism, slavery, genocide, etc… Lots of respect for the entire body of his work, but tell him keep his f’n nose out of the saving the world business. That’s what we do when the Catholic church buries its head in the sand.

THE CHOSEN ONE on March 29, 2008 at 10:07 PM

Joseph Ratzinger was 18 in 1945–the year the War ended. I suppose it would have been heroic for the teenager to his defy parents and his oppressive state and risk sending the entire family to a concentration camp. I guess that he wasn’t as brave as you would have been under the same circumstances, TCO.

baldilocks on March 29, 2008 at 10:11 PM

TCO,

He does not attribute the slaughter to the US. In fact he appeals to the Iraqi people to end the war i.e. to stop killing each other. The article, which was craftily written, jumps from that to the fact that he opposed the “U.S.-led Iraq war” from its inception. This article has classic MSM obfuscation written all over it. You asked the Catholic Church to give the US the benefit of the doubt but they haven’t made any anti-US statements at all. In fact its you who immediately jumps to the conclusion that Benedict’s statements about Iraq are anti-US (as the structure of the article is intend you too) and refuses to give the benefit of the doubt to the Pope.

baldilocks on March 29, 2008 at 10:11 PM

Good point.

aengus on March 29, 2008 at 10:23 PM

baldilocks on March 29, 2008 at 10:11 PM

I’m not blaming him or the Catholic church for the Holocaust or the Nazi regime, all I’m saying is keep your damn mouth shut about us “ending the slaughter in iraq” when we have a damn good track record. If we tried to persuade every tyrant out of power with the good book, it would be curtains. Maybe Benedict will fly to Basra tonight and chain himself to an oil platform with Sadr in a protest of peace.

THE CHOSEN ONE on March 29, 2008 at 10:35 PM

2nd article down.

THE CHOSEN ONE on March 29, 2008 at 10:42 PM

Wow, I owe you an apology Allah. I never realized you grew up catholic. I always fumed at your atheist posts but, now that I know you grew up like me it is no wonder. All I can say is amazing things happen when the darkness is lifted by accepting Jesus Christ as your personal Savior. Christianity and Catholisism shouldn’t be confused as the same thing….or even close! Catholisism is a religion and Christianity is faith.

melachiro on March 29, 2008 at 10:54 PM

TCO,

You said you were upset about recent comments. An address rejecting war against Iraq in 2003 hardly qualifies. Nobody knew what was going to happen then. You’re grasping at straws.

I’ve already addressed your complaint about the “ending the slaughter in iraq”, that it was clearly directed at the Iraqis themselves.

You’ve also rescinded your claims about the CC and the Holocaust.

You’re down to nothing buddy. You’re naked. Your comments have been successfully argued out of existence. I’m going to watch TV. Hope to argue with you again sometime.

Goodnight.

aengus on March 29, 2008 at 10:55 PM

[A]ll I’m saying is keep your damn mouth shut about us “ending the slaughter in iraq” when we have a damn good track record. If we tried to persuade every tyrant out of power with the good book, it would be curtains. Maybe Benedict will fly to Basra tonight and chain himself to an oil platform with Sadr in a protest of peace.

Dude. Not one bit of that made sense. That said, it’s Saturday night. Have a good night and be safe.

baldilocks on March 29, 2008 at 11:14 PM

aengus on March 29, 2008 at 10:55 PM

baldilocks on March 29, 2008 at 11:14 PM

I guess three stubborn mules duking it out for the principles they believe in, ends in a draw. How fitting. Good night to you as well. My Tarheels just advanced to the Final 4, time to pound some brewskies, god willing.

THE CHOSEN ONE on March 29, 2008 at 11:21 PM

The “Chickens Coming Home to the roost” line wasn’t him by the way, that is one quote that was definitely taken out of context. He was saying something he heard on Fox News the previous day. 30 seconds after the clip we’ve seen over and over again he even says “And that wasn’t something a black militant said, or a preacher than talks about racism. That was a white ambassador.” Say what you will about Wright, but in that particular case he definitely got screwed over unfairly.

Typhonsentra on March 29, 2008 at 11:36 PM

Typhonsentra on March 29, 2008 at 11:36 PM

Who cares who came up with the line, it’s impressively stupid regardless who say’s it.

Let’s get real. You want to fight it out? Then declare war and let’s do it. Terrorists has decalared war on the U.S. for decades. We FINALLY say “OK, you want a war? Here you go, this is our idea of war”.

And not a single terrorist attack against the U.S. since 9-11. Facts my friend. Did we piss people off? Yes we did. What are they going to do about it? They will object, until they are invaded and ask for our help. Give me a break, the U.S. liberated France TWICE, and how soon they forget.

FACT OF LIFE: There are people out in the world who CAN’T be reasoned with. WE didn’t want this war, and no matter how you are able to justify in your own mind the death’s of almost 3,000 American citizens on U.S. soil, we didn’t deserve that. No one deserves that.

I’ve been watching the news since before 9-11-2001. I haven’t seen any more planes flown into buildings and the mass murder of 2,800 plus people in one day since then.

So enlighten me. What exactly did the U.S. do wrong? What terrible crime did the U.S. government commit to justify the killing of 2,800 plus people within U.S. borders?

Hog Wild on March 30, 2008 at 1:10 AM

Rev. Wright is giving his congregation a license to whine. He should be giving them a license to achieve.

I see no problem in presuming that Rev. Wright agrees with the contention found in Herrnstein and Murray’s “The Bell Curve” that Blacks are apparently genetically inferior. If he disagreed he’d be spurring his congregation to achieve not whine. He’s getting rich off his congregation’s continued poverty.

{^_^}

herself on March 30, 2008 at 3:18 AM

The reason Wright is back so soon is the Obamites realized they have to show the Bkack religious community is embracing Wright. This way it adds support to Obams’s idea that Wright’s words are expressions of Black anger in general, not those of some biggoted racists.

Now Obama can say, which church would you have me move to, even the Catholics love Wright.

I have mentioned in other venues that Obama’s speech moved the country away from reconilliation because he transferred Wright’s words to the Black community in general.

Now the Catholic church embraces Wright, all for Blackness (Or should I say, Obamaness).

Pathetic.

davod on March 30, 2008 at 6:29 AM

“I am a Luce Lady”?

..That’s going to be.. yeah.

Nah.

Perhaps a rephrase is in order.

Reaps on March 30, 2008 at 7:35 AM

Typhonsentra on March 29, 2008 at 11:36 PM

What on earth are you talking about?

Chickens coming home to roost was first made part of the American lexicon when Malcolm X uttered it in response to the assassination of J.F.K.

Black Liberation Theology, as practiced at Trinity United Church of Christ, is a Black Power ideology inspired by Malcolm X (and Karl Marx, but I digress).

Buy Danish on March 30, 2008 at 8:57 AM

Does Michelle Malkin realize that the Know Nothings have taken over this site?

corona on March 30, 2008 at 11:09 AM

The vid of the white dude defending Wright was something. I know i couldn’t get a word in edgewise with this tool, but I would like to ask him how Wright’s Biblical scholar status gives him the right to spew hatred while professing to be a Christian minister.
Also, the mention of Maya Angelou brings my breakfast back up because i remember, SO WELL, Maya’s TV talks in which she declared in her condescending, sing-song delivery that: “words are things” and that an unkind word can cut like a sword. So, this will be another question i will not be allowed to ask in their presence or even get a second-hand answer to: “What would Jesus do?” (Start a race riot?)
I heard that Oprah! left this church of hate. If her motives weren’t pure she is smarter than her God-momma.

Christine on March 30, 2008 at 2:45 PM

Having been born (and raised) in Chicago in 65′, “Father” Pfleger’s been the worst kind of attention-media whore for as long as I can remember.

He’s been all too happy to cozy up to the world’s worst kind of scumbags to get himself a sanctimonious soundbite on the local evening news – that hopefully makes the national news too.

Right “Father”?

A**hole.

Teddy on March 30, 2008 at 3:05 PM

Pathetic.

davod on March 30, 2008 at 6:29 AM

The Catholic Church does not embrace Wright! Just because one priest does or even a dozen priests for that matter, doesn’t mean that the Church does. Leave your slurs about the church at home.

crabtree on March 30, 2008 at 3:15 PM

Compare and contrast the Easter message from Chicago’s Francis Cardinal George (which is all about love) to the hate-filled diatribes at St. Sabina’s and Trinity United Church of Christ.

Even an anti-religious zealot should be able to understand the difference.

Buy Danish on March 30, 2008 at 4:47 PM

I cannot, for the life of me, comprehend how ANYONE can still support B HUSSEIN Obama after this hideous pastor story. What is wrong with liberals? This pastor is a vile, disgusting abomination and is NOT a Christian. He is some kind of freakshow who needs to be deported to Europe. Or Africa. Ugh…

PoliticallyIncorrectSandy on March 30, 2008 at 5:07 PM

“At a time when less people vote than ever, I don’t think pastors should be silent on politics,” Pfleger said.
I thought that liberals firmly believe that there should be a separation of church and state! Well, I guess that they could split that hair and say that politics don’t really qualify as ‘the state’–when it’s The World vs Whitey and the Jews.

I remember watching a learned white woman, who studied racism for decades, on Oprah that it’s impossible for anyone to not be a racist in a racist society. This is not an endorsement of racism, it’s just a fact…Seeing how everything in history goes in cycles and witnessing how karma works in the world, I understand that what was perpetrated by the white man on the black man has been turned around in the form of gov’t sanctioned reverse racism, (Affirmative Action), which has created a climate in which only white people can be racists. It seems to me that there are a lot of people of color who want to keep their own people down; they have no power otherwise.

Christine on March 30, 2008 at 5:48 PM

The missing word is : say, (after Oprah).

Christine on March 30, 2008 at 5:49 PM

Anyone else ready for the amalgamation of Communists, Socialists, and Christians(mainly social justice worshippers) that’s all but ready to “take it to the streets”?

An Obama win may be the only thing that prevents this short of a ’68 Chicago police exercise.

gabriel sutherland on March 31, 2008 at 9:27 AM