Philly mayor: I would have left Obama’s church

posted at 3:45 pm on March 29, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

Anyone expecting Hillary Clinton to back away from the Jeremiah Wright controversy must have spent the 90′s in a coma. Today, African-American Philadelphia mayor and Hillary backer Michael Nutter tells ABC News that he would have not waited 20 years to air an objection to Wright’s sermons. Nutter says he would “absolutely” have quit after hearing any of the rhetoric that has been aired:

Sen. Hillary Clinton’s most prominent African-American supporter in Pennsylvania says that had he been a member of Sen. Barack Obama’s church, he would have left because of the Rev. Jeremiah Wright’s fiery and controversial sermons.

“I think there’s no room for hate, and I could not sit and tolerate that kind of language, and especially over a very long period of time,” said Philadelphia’s newly elected mayor, Michael Nutter, in an interview with ABC News’ David Muir.

“If I were in my own church and heard my pastor saying some of those kinds of things,” he added, “we’d have a conversation about what’s going on here, what is this all about, and then I would have to make my own personal decision about whether or not to be associated or affiliated.”

Asked by Muir if he would he have quit Obama’s church, Nutter said, “Absolutely.”

Nutter even went into Dr. King territory, rejecting the notion that his skin color required him to support Obama or Wright. He said that Martin Luther King asked people to judge others on the content of their character and not the color of their skin, and that hate speech is unacceptable in any context. He has experienced quite a bit of pressure to change his endorsement to Obama from his constituents, but he sees it as a call to integrity to continue his support for the person he sees as the best overall candidate.

The Wright Stuff won’t be disappearing. Hillary Clinton will see to that, and we can expect more repudiations like this in other states. If Hillary manages to win with these tactics, she won’t have much of a Democratic Party coalition to lead.

Comments

Refreshing. That was a breath of fresh air.

a capella on March 29, 2008 at 3:51 PM

Nutter

Nice name.

Didn’t ++undead call his city “Soviet Philly?”

I heard the guy is typical of big city Democrat mayors, but I agree with him in this case.

baldilocks on March 29, 2008 at 3:54 PM

lol, Nutter IS a really awesome name. especially for a politician.

Drunk Report on March 29, 2008 at 3:58 PM

Does Pope Benedict know about this guy?

peacenprosperity on March 29, 2008 at 4:04 PM

The good mayor seems smarter than the average ass donkey, but I wonder if he is related to those other fine Democrat families:

The Global Warming Nutters

The Bush Lied People Died Nutters

The Truther Nutters

Terrie on March 29, 2008 at 4:05 PM

Does Pope Benedict know about this guy?

Sorry, wrong story.

peacenprosperity on March 29, 2008 at 4:05 PM

Give this guy credit for having some balls, decency and integrity. Either that or there’s something really bad in his FBI files.

BuzzCrutcher on March 29, 2008 at 4:17 PM

But would you really want a backer named “Nutter?”

irishspy on March 29, 2008 at 4:24 PM

Being in Philly, I can tell you that the best compliment that I can say is… at least he’s not John Street (shudder).

synner_man on March 29, 2008 at 4:31 PM

Damning with faint praise.

Hizzoner isn’t going to vote Republican, no matter what.

To distance himself from Reverend ‘Nutball’ Wright is really a no-brainer, particularly if he wants to avoid problems is a fractious town like Phillie. The anti-white, anti-semitic, anti-Christian rhetoric is repulsive and repugnant.

Hillary gets the endorsement by default. Whoopee.

I’ll bet she’s all moist at the news.

heldmyw on March 29, 2008 at 4:32 PM

because of the Rev. Jeremiah Wright’s fiery racist and controversial Anti-American sermons.

TBOD – Fixing the media’s biased reporting since the days of Prodigy.

TheBigOldDog on March 29, 2008 at 4:55 PM

Huh? Are we discussing Wright because Hillary is behind the curtain pulling our strings?

Buy Danish on March 29, 2008 at 5:15 PM

How about just saying, “I wouldn’t have joined that Church in the first place!”

Chakra Hammer on March 29, 2008 at 5:18 PM

I’m like soooo frigging sick of B. Hussein, His wife,
His church, His suck-up media . etc , etc, etc.

I’m almost ready to say bring back Gore. . . .Well, Almost.

Texyank on March 29, 2008 at 5:55 PM

The underwear models that took over John Gibson’s slot spent a half hour on how none of those has effected Obama yesterday. It was like an Obama group orgy.

Fox News has really become like the mind of Shepard Smith meets Ken and Barbie. Awful.

Hening on March 29, 2008 at 5:57 PM

Wow!! A man of principle, this mayor.

jeanie on March 29, 2008 at 6:23 PM

“Nutter supports Hillary for President in ’08″

aengus on March 29, 2008 at 7:39 PM

Churches across America are dismantling their video equipment.

Hog Wild on March 29, 2008 at 8:15 PM

Huh? Are you implying that’s a bad thing: that one black minister condemns another for outrageous race baiting?

So exactly how is your hero, McCain, going to win — by ignoring the blatant racism that Obama, over the course of 20 years, somehow failed to notice?

Good luck with that — your candidate will be mincemeat about a month after Obama wins the nomination.

Nichevo on March 29, 2008 at 8:18 PM

Nichevo on March 29, 2008 at 8:18 PM

I don’t agree with your conclusion, and I have no idea if McCain is a “hero” of the Captain, but I was puzzled by that too.

Buy Danish on March 29, 2008 at 8:55 PM

He’s just a Clinton lackey trying to score on Hussein. I don’t believe him for a minute.

whitetop on March 29, 2008 at 8:55 PM

I believe Nutter. I would say any christian hearing Wright’s “sermons” would have walked out in the middle of them. Those staying obvious feel as he does and sorry that is not what Jesus taught. Forget the guy’s name. I hope this Wright and Obama bashing doesn’t stop and wears Obama down and maybe a consciense will emerge from Obama, and he’ll come to his senses that he has spent almost half his life being a racist himself. I pray that he will.

Conservatives R Us on March 29, 2008 at 9:38 PM

While I agree with Nutter, there’s a much bigger story behind this. Michael Nutter’s animosity toward Barack Obama goes way back.

Debbie Schlussel on March 29, 2008 at 10:51 PM

I agree with what he’s saying. I just have to figure out why he’s saying it. He’s a democrat afterall.

SouthernGent on March 29, 2008 at 11:45 PM

N’Obama isn’t the only one tarred by associations with liberation theology. It appears that the Clintons have a history of attending a church with such Leftist leanings durning their own White House years. The pastor there claims that Wrigh’s sermons are defensible.

Crazy world.

onlineanalyst on March 30, 2008 at 7:18 AM

I’ve been saying this since the Obama race speech: when Obama said Wright “embodies the black experience in Christianity,” he was lying through his damned teeth. I’ve attended dozens of black churches, and spent the first 20 years of my Christian experience (beginning at age 19) under the leadership of black pastors. Wright’s racist rhetoric is not typical at all. The average black minister sounds more like a moderate but loud Jerry Falwell than he does like a Louis Farrakhan.

I wrote about this on my blog when I first read the speech. I’ve been waiting for blacks to speak up and say so, and I’m glad that at least one has.

philwynk on March 30, 2008 at 7:39 AM

Interesting…Obama wants this 20 year relationship with Wright ignored. This is not about Wright, he is not trying to become the POTUS. This is not about Wright’s freedom of speech or thought. This is not about an individual’s right to go to whatever church they choose.

This is about Obama and what his core beliefs are. I refuse to believe that Obama sat in that church for 20 years listening to those “sermons” and came away unaffected. He sought council from this man. He considers this man to be his mentor and spiritual adviser and somehow we are to believe that Obama only listens to half of what this “pastor” preaches.

Sorry, Michelle and Barack have already let slip a few remarks that expose what they REALLY think about this country and the people that live here. They stayed with Wright as long as they have because Wright preaches what they WANT to hear.

Talon on March 30, 2008 at 8:07 AM

Hmmm–young, hip Black man continually embarrassed by old, cranky Black man. Sanford & Son?

jgapinoy on March 31, 2008 at 12:09 AM