New anti-war movie tanks because America’s “not ready yet,” or whatever

posted at 1:07 pm on March 29, 2008 by Allahpundit

“What are you up for tonight, honey? Action? Comedy? Or a tribute to desertion as the only moral answer to Bush’s war of lies?”

I’m told #7 Stop-Loss opened to only $1.6 million Friday from just 1,291 plays and should eke out $4+M. Although the drama from MTV Films was the best-reviewed movie opening this weekend, Paramount wasn’t expecting much because no Iraq war-themed movie has yet to perform at the box office. “It’s not looking good,” a studio source told me before the weekend. “No one wants to see Iraq war movies. No matter what we put out there in terms of great cast or trailers, people were completely turned off. It’s a function of the marketplace not being ready to address this conflict in a dramatic way because the war itself is something that’s unresolved yet. It’s a shame because it’s a good movie that’s just ahead of its time.”

They keep making ‘em even though we keep not watching ‘em, which shows you how committed they are to the message and/or fearful of testing that “America’s not ready yet” hypothesis with a pro-war flick. Check out the trailer for this abortion if you missed it last year. One shopworn anti-war contrivance after another, right down to the cringeworthy graphic of a tattered flag. No wonder even the left doesn’t want to sit through this crap.

Update: Here’s the Libertas review. See what I mean about anti-war dog whistles? “Stop-loss is only in effect during times of war, and the President said the war was over.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

DON’T QUESTION OUR PATRIOTISM!

WE SUPPORT THE TROOPS!

misterpeasea on March 29, 2008 at 1:09 PM

commitment to the exclusion of all facts?

Canadian Imperialist Running Dog on March 29, 2008 at 1:10 PM

Far be it from me to tell the left/ hollywood to stop shooting themselves in the foot. I will, however, volunteer to reload for them.

tomk59 on March 29, 2008 at 1:11 PM

It’s the function of Hollywood fliberdigibbits. Those people are a different breed. They don’t deal in reality or facts. In Hollywood it is all about image. Those with the money get to create the image that they want, and any dissenting view gets ignored.

Everyone there is a ‘star’, if you don’t think so, you are ‘mean’. Hollywood is so disconnected from reality that they keep making these crap films and blaming everyone else for not recognizing their own greatness instead of the idea that they might not be that great after all.

ThackerAgency on March 29, 2008 at 1:13 PM

I guess Viacom shareholders don’t actually care if MTV Films makes money.

TheBigOldDog on March 29, 2008 at 1:15 PM

Blind leading the blind… Talk about living in a bubble.

Keemo on March 29, 2008 at 1:15 PM

Like I said in the headlines, as much as I want to see Stop Loss fail, It’s Just Opening Day!

I have plans to see Superhero movie on Sunday. I’m working today.

Bit of a knee jerk reaction.

Mazztek on March 29, 2008 at 1:16 PM

MTV needs to just go away and do it FAST.

TroubledMonkey on March 29, 2008 at 1:18 PM

As long as they make money from other films they will continue to try and cram this propaganda crap down our throats.

rockdalian on March 29, 2008 at 1:20 PM

Oh, but these Hollywood Bombs will be represented well at the Oscars, I’m sure.

It is like winning the sportsmanship award after losing the game.

It’s like giving yourself a trophy after dropping a BM.

p40tiger on March 29, 2008 at 1:20 PM

…the war itself is something that’s unresolved yet. It’s a shame because it’s a good movie that’s just ahead of its time.

In other words, before folks start to get the crazy idea that the war may be succeeding, we’ve got to rush this movie out so people will remember it as the tragedy we feel it really is.

shuzilla on March 29, 2008 at 1:22 PM

Wasn’t this based on the bogus supposition that members of the armed forces were unaware of this clause and that it was somehow foisted on them?

That makes the whole premise a lie does it not?

Now lots of movies are based on lies but the lie must be held secret to some degree to work.

BL@KBIRD on March 29, 2008 at 1:24 PM

“Stop-Loss = Yes

“Fitna” = No

The world is upside down or will be. . .

Texyank on March 29, 2008 at 1:25 PM

Good Lord, another one???!!! These people really are as dumb as they sound in their interviews.

4shoes on March 29, 2008 at 1:25 PM

Wonder when Hollywood is going to accept the validity of ” Fly Over Country ” ? Or, going even deeper; the truth of ” Red States & Blue States “. I have seen red counties and blue counties map. Blue still ouy shines red.

oldelpasoan on March 29, 2008 at 1:26 PM

“Best Reviewed” by who, the moonbat media movie mavens?
The American movie goers got yer review right here, they say stay away from crapola like this.

bbz123 on March 29, 2008 at 1:29 PM

The neo-pacifist’s misguided war on American patriotism, and their effort to establish a lasting unilateral-surrender culture in America has failed. When will these neo-pacifists realize they’ve lost? They obviously need to draw up a near-horizon timetable for withdrawing from their pacifist quagmire. No Popcorn for Bombs!!!!!

RBMN on March 29, 2008 at 1:32 PM

This war ‘movie’ is a hit. Viral videos and music ‘videos’ have taken the place Hollywood used to occupy during WWII:

3/1 Marines in Fallujah: Music by Seether

Hollywood doesn’t need to do anything even remotely patriotic and I need not bother to buy a movie ticket for the next 20 years. Sorry kid, how about some ice cream instead?

Beagle on March 29, 2008 at 1:33 PM

“whooped ‘em again, Josey.”

p40tiger on March 29, 2008 at 1:36 PM

What waste of money to make these films.

terryannonline on March 29, 2008 at 1:38 PM

I’ve never heard of MTV films. What else have they released?

Blake on March 29, 2008 at 1:39 PM

A perfect example of the reason I’d never invest in a movie company. Their management live in a lefty echo chamber. They spend huge sums to produce anti-American tripe, it craters, so they put out more, all to predictable effect. Then they console themselves by telling each other that America is just “not ready” for the sophisticated material they’re excreting.

These guys need to learn that they’re in the business of selling tickets. Using shareholders’ money to burnish their “progressive” credentials in the insular world of their Hollywood peers should be a firing offense.

Cicero43 on March 29, 2008 at 1:40 PM

It’s their luxury – the expectation in the industry is that 9/10 films will tank. And they do, and they always have.

As long as they can put out a true masterpiece like another Mission Impossible or Bourne sequel they can slip in some dire leftist can AND everyone keeps their jobs.

This sounds like a win:win situation to me.

Oh, waiter? I know its not on the menu but mine’s an egg-white omelet, a bottle of evian NO ICE, a side salad of radicchio and endive NO DRESSSING, and a kilo of coke. Let’s blue sky the next anti-war movie when I get back from the bathroom.

/sarc

Ares on March 29, 2008 at 1:42 PM

This blows up Jon Stewart’s theory that Hollywood makes films solely to make money (referring to The Chronicles of Narnia film amid the snubbing of The Passion of the Christ). Uh uh, they are also quite ideological, regardless if the film (s) make money or not.

Richard Romano on March 29, 2008 at 1:44 PM

What else do you expect from a bunch of idiots that think global warming is a bigger threat to human life that islam?

redshirt on March 29, 2008 at 1:44 PM

not being ready to address this conflict in a dramatic way because the war itself is something that’s unresolved yet…

“Unresolved yet?” Is that why all those WWII movies made during the war did so poorly. Oh, wait…

eeyore on March 29, 2008 at 1:44 PM

Our young men and women in Iraq are learning a tremendous amount about honor, courage and committment. As well, they are growing in character in ways that Hollywood and most of our jaded college students will never understand. They will be the better for their service and their part in making history…Hollywood has a tin ear when it comes to true valor that is an everyday occurance in Iraq and Afghanistan. Instead, they choose to make movies about counter-cultural losers…And, lose money doing it…

Nozzle on March 29, 2008 at 1:45 PM

These people understand nothing of the human psychology.
When people go to movies they wish to be entertained or uplifted, not sermonized or depressed. That’s what churches, blogs and mother-in-laws are for.

Sigy on March 29, 2008 at 1:47 PM

The trailer to this when I saw it in theaters was unbelievably offensive. “Every generation has its heroes” in the narration was paired with what’s his face saying “I’m fleeing to Canada!!”

Lehosh on March 29, 2008 at 1:47 PM

They don’t seem to care if they bomb here … which makes me wonder if the primary goal isn’t to make money here, but to produce films to use as anti-American propaganda overseas.

Also, how much islamist/leftist money and/or influence is driving these films?

darwin on March 29, 2008 at 1:48 PM

Where is John Wayne when you need him.

joeswampy on March 29, 2008 at 1:48 PM

/sarc

Ares on March 29, 2008 at 1:42 PM

Heh. That’s pretty good. I suppose it was the result of a “Let’s do lunch”?

a capella on March 29, 2008 at 1:49 PM

Those Hollywood antiwar dirt bags just won’t give up. But that’s alright, let them continue to lose money on this trash.

rplat on March 29, 2008 at 1:50 PM

That’s what churches, blogs and mother-in-laws are for.

Hey, I actually find my pastor’s sermons quite uplifting:)

terryannonline on March 29, 2008 at 1:51 PM

You know I had friends about to get out of the USMC just as we were hit by stop-loss/stop-move. It didn’t look anything like this. Sure, some more beers were drank and it sucked not to be headed home, but your enlistment contract is clear as day about your inactive reserve time (IRR). So not only is this movie disconnected with reality, but it would be justifiable to execute this fictional traitor for desertion in time of war. Shame we don’t follow through on that sort of thing.
How does this trailer make everyone else feel when they see it? I’m active duty and it made me want to rip someone’s head off (my wife was seething through it too) and by the time it was over it had more or less ruined the movie I was about to watch. Is it like that for anyone else?

blankminde on March 29, 2008 at 1:52 PM

Ah, yes terrorism doesn’t exist to these hollyweird types, it’s all about the climate change.

It’s disturbing.

j0 on March 29, 2008 at 1:55 PM

…people were completely turned off. It’s a function of the marketplace not being ready to address this conflict in a dramatic way because the war itself is something that’s unresolved yet.

Wow, these guys are really out of touch, aren’t they? A cursory search of IMDB shows that a lot of WWII movies debuted and had success in 1942, 1943, and 1944. I’d like to make a suggestion: Why don’t you try making one that’s supportive of the war and doesn’t make our soldiers look like criminals. Let’s see how that works out.

Kafir on March 29, 2008 at 1:56 PM

Am I the only one who things that graphic with the torn up flag looks like a matzoh cracker?

How does this trailer make everyone else feel when they see it?

I don’t even bother watching that crap, because like you, I just end up wanting to rip someone’s head off. I try to boycott anyone who stars in or churns out that type of crap. Other than that, all I can do is relish in their complete failure.

Blake on March 29, 2008 at 1:57 PM

You ever been in one of those situations where you’re looking at some worthless piece of “abstract art”, which is essentially a canvas that appears to have had paint passed through a jet engine onto it? Has the artist been there as well? Have you explained that you can’t get a single bit of meaning or message from it, and they simply retort:

“You just don’t understand.”

Right now, Hollywood is the abstract artist, and Redacted, Valley of Elah, Stop Loss, and all of these other wastes of good studio dollars are the Jackson Pollack vomit stains hanging on the wall.

MadisonConservative on March 29, 2008 at 1:57 PM

I’ve never heard of MTV films. What else have they released?

Blake on March 29, 2008 at 1:39 PM
Here’s a list. Aeon Flux is good show but the rest of them I either have no interest in or have never heard of.

FloatingRock on March 29, 2008 at 1:59 PM

Hey utterly embarrassing that Superhero movie is beating this movie.

The trashiest of trash is beating this anti-war movie.

terryannonline on March 29, 2008 at 2:00 PM

FloatingRock on March 29, 2008 at 1:59 PM

Election and Dead Man on Campus were actually good movies. Even Napoleon Dynamite had its moments that are endlessly repeated at work.

MadisonConservative on March 29, 2008 at 2:02 PM

I’ve never heard of MTV films. What else have they released?

Mostly juvenile comedy such as Jackass: The Movie and Napoleon Dynamite, as well as “gangsta” culture flims such as Hustle & Flow and Get Rich or Die Tryin’.

Basically, like the junk on MTV. Here is a complete list of their films.

mojojojo on March 29, 2008 at 2:04 PM

I guess I got flagged for moderation by mentioning the name of one of MTV Film’s movies… Goes to show…

mojojojo on March 29, 2008 at 2:05 PM

MadisonConservative on March 29, 2008 at 1:57 PM

LOL… reminds me of a quote… from… somewhere…

Drafting is Talent without inspiration.
Modern art is inspiration with no Talent…

Romeo13 on March 29, 2008 at 2:07 PM

tomk59 on March 29, 2008 at 1:11 PM

I’ve got 500 rounds of 45ACP I’ll donate. 230gr FMJ.

Dave from Flint on March 29, 2008 at 2:10 PM

I’ve got 500 rounds of 45ACP I’ll donate. 230gr FMJ.

Dave from Flint on March 29, 2008 at 2:10 PM

LOL, I’d donate but I live in Denver… saving it up for this summer… just in case…

Romeo13 on March 29, 2008 at 2:12 PM

I ran out and watched No Country…..zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz….then I splurged and watched Beowulf….zzzzzzzzzzzzz. Maybe I just wasn’t ready for them either.

Limerick on March 29, 2008 at 2:19 PM

Allahpundit

Quoting you at length on your own page might seem like a pathetic ass-kissing to some, but only if they didn’t know how I normally roll.

And when you’re on, you’re the best, AP…

Jaibones on March 29, 2008 at 2:29 PM

Well, Gi Joe comes out next year, and Snake Eyes looks badass.

Iblis on March 29, 2008 at 2:30 PM

Entertainment Tonight ran a segment on “Stop-Loss” and actually reported that the “film’s realism was sure to be approved by the troops”. I’m not kidding.

This isn’t over yet though. I think it’s very likely that all these recent Hollywood flicks, especially “Redacted” go into heavy rotation when they go up for cable syndication.

Iron_Chef on March 29, 2008 at 2:31 PM

Here’s the money quote:

No matter what they put out there? Did I miss the uplifting and heroic Iraq War movie? I don’t remember Hollywood trying to discuss Iraq on those terms. The poster for this flick shows a burned American flag. That was all I needed to know to skip this one.

Spolitics on March 29, 2008 at 2:32 PM

D.O.A

Kini on March 29, 2008 at 2:35 PM

It isn’t stopping Oliver Stone from starting production of his hit movie on Bush.

JAW on March 29, 2008 at 2:40 PM

I saw the trailer for this a while ago.. and looking at the stills that the link had and reading the review, sounds like it hit every stereotype available..

shell-shocked troop abused girlfriend and sleeps in foxhole in his yard..

Wearing a cowboy had and sleeveless shirt..

Drinking in an empty bar.. it’s Texas.. there’s always someone in there *grins*

one guy re ups and goes back.

the other goes to DC and fights to stay..

Damn, that movie just about wrote itself..

and I almost forgot about the obligatory scene of one dude ‘mistakenly’ thinks his friends are jihadis..

DaveC on March 29, 2008 at 2:45 PM

sweet jeebus.

If Hollywood decided to produce a movie that portrayed the nobility and heroism of the current military the way that Band of Brothers did for the WWII generation, I’d go see it in a heartbeat.

Until then, I’ll make do with Outside the Wire.

landshark on March 29, 2008 at 2:52 PM

rockdalian on March 29, 2008 at 1:20 PM

Which is why I won’t go to any movies, or take my kids either.

funky chicken on March 29, 2008 at 2:56 PM

Also, how much islamist/leftist money and/or influence is driving these films?

darwin on March 29, 2008 at 1:48 PM

If you go to the movies, it’s your money they use to make this crap. That’s why I don’t really understand conservatives who go to lots of movies.

funky chicken on March 29, 2008 at 3:02 PM

From the perspective of a father of an active USMC Iraqi war veteran, the trailer irritates the bejesu out me. However I find great solace in the fact that these clowns are losing money because most Americans don’t give a rat’s arse about this type of smarmy Hollywood propaganda.

JonRoss on March 29, 2008 at 3:03 PM

Sadly, these pieces of excrement will almost assuredly make their money back from the studios when they play overseas. The rest of the world LOVES watching movies that portray American soldiers as murderers and rapists. If you can work in sliming the evil Bushitler… why it’s cinema gold I tell you. The only thing that will ever get to these guys is, from now on, whenever a studio puts anything out, the blogosphere reminds everyone, “From the people who brought you _______ (insert America hating movie here).” It’s not like officially calling for a boycott, just reminding us if we really want to put any money in these folks’ pockets.
Let these movies be like a case of herpes they’ll never be rid of.

Sugar Land on March 29, 2008 at 3:04 PM

I just wanted to say that my best friend went to Iraq twice, and he called the Iraqi’s Hadji (even though it’s Hindi for the word boy) because they all looked like the kid from Jonny Quest according to him. He also thinks that we should just nuke all of Iraq. So, those kind of views by members of the military do unfortunately exist. But, I don’t think it’s all of them, or even all that many. My friend is extremely racist, bigoted, and selfish, so coming from him it doesn’t surprise me.

I just thought I’d point out that (just like the rest of our population) not all of our troops are saints. And some actually do live up to the Hollywood standard.

j_ehman on March 29, 2008 at 3:05 PM

Guess what? Americans know we’re the good guys and are sick of movies portraying us otherwise. I guarantee a pro-American movie would do well. For instance, once they adapt a Brad Thor novel into a movie, if they do it justice, it would be fantastic and make a killing. I’d wager it’d make more than all the antiwar films combined.

Gunhaver on March 29, 2008 at 3:05 PM

Hollyweird quit making movies for American audiences years ago. Their real target audience is South Yemen.

opusrex on March 29, 2008 at 3:12 PM

If Hollywood execs had any brains they would make “Lone Survivor” into a movie. I would see that in a heartbeat. It’s a true story with action, drama, heroic figures, etc.

watchmen on March 29, 2008 at 3:12 PM

j_ehman on March 29, 2008 at 3:05 PM

I hope someone else will take this on because if I am forced to do so I may be banned for life and I do love my posting privledges Hot Air.

JonRoss on March 29, 2008 at 3:14 PM

That’s what churches, blogs and mother-in-laws are for.

Sigy on March 29, 2008 at 1:47 PM

…and psychiatrists/psychologists, Sigmund…

Entelechy on March 29, 2008 at 3:16 PM

We’ll never be “ready”.

THE CHOSEN ONE on March 29, 2008 at 3:31 PM

Pat Dollard Should produce Lone Survivor so that it gets done right.

opusrex on March 29, 2008 at 3:34 PM

“It’s a shame because it’s a good movie that’s just ahead of its time.”

Isn’t it amazing when they make a movie about something they have never experienced and don’t understand turns out terrible, they figure it is ahead of it’s time because people don’t understand their “vision”.

When are they going to make the movie about Operation Redwing?

America is proud of it’s men and women in uniform. That’s timeless.

Rogue Traveler on March 29, 2008 at 3:35 PM

j_ehman on March 29, 2008 at 3:05 PM

JonRoss on March 29, 2008 at 3:14 PM

“True friends stab you in the front” – Oscar Wilde

blankminde on March 29, 2008 at 3:59 PM

Liberals don’t have a clue and will never get it. Excellent that the film did poorly as others displaying typical Liberal anti-Americanism, anti-Military, anti-logical thinking.

Besides, the military is all volunteer so why should Liberals care. They should just stand aside, shutup, and let the Patriotic Americans do their job.

Ragnarok on March 29, 2008 at 4:02 PM

That’s what churches, blogs and mother-in-laws are for.

Church can be uplifting and some mother-in-laws are quite nice!

aengus on March 29, 2008 at 4:02 PM

Has the veracity of this claim ever been tested? Did any of the previous anti-war bombs clean up overseas?

aengus on March 29, 2008 at 4:05 PM

I don’t like movies and have no will to see anything I can read about in a newspaper. Besides these things are usually oversimplified and with liberal talking points served as facts.

But really, it seems people want to go to movies based on events that never happen or never happened. Imaginary characters work well. Maybe they should make another movie about Jesus.

LevStrauss on March 29, 2008 at 4:13 PM

They keep making these movies even though they flop because they are continuously building the “narrative.” Hollywood seriously believes they can control how the history of the Iraq war is perceived in the future by the stream of leftist propaganda they put out now. And if you look at how all Vietnam vets were perceived as crazy for so long by the more ignorant segments of American society, you could argue that those Hollywood bastards are on to something.

WasatchMan on March 29, 2008 at 4:14 PM

I wish they had invested more money into pumping up this crap. I love it when the left loses money. It makes me … smile.

“Redacted” grossed $60,000.

kurtzz3 on March 29, 2008 at 4:52 PM

I tell you right now, normally I would let this go, but as a guy who has watched the Resignations of alot of my fellow officers be denied, even though they have gone over to Iraq already, this movie has more than a little resonance.

Squid Shark on March 29, 2008 at 4:55 PM

j_ehman on March 29, 2008 at 3:05 PM

JonRoss on March 29, 2008 at 3:14 PM

Seems like a reasonable statement to me.

Squid Shark on March 29, 2008 at 5:00 PM

Right, that’s why movies like “Saving Private Ryan” and “Schindler’s List” were such bombs. Or “Titanic” or “The Passion of the Christ.” Because people want to watch imaginary stuff.

And I have lots of friends who have re-enlisted in the military fully aware of their contracts including the Stop-loss policy. But then again, my friends aren’t idiots like the people in this movie clearly are.

mjk on March 29, 2008 at 5:03 PM

P.S. I’m aware that Jack and Rose in “Titanic” are fake, but the majority of the rest of the people aren’t. And the Titanic did actually sink – Just FYI.

Oh, and:
1. “Band of Brothers” – not a movie in the theater, but still awesome
2. “Apollo 13″
3. “Gone With The Wind” – same principle as the movie “Titanic”
4. “The Diary of Anne Frank”

mjk on March 29, 2008 at 5:05 PM

My son was stop lossed.

Granted, he wasn’t happy about it and neither were we, but it was clearly explained to him by his recruiter and was in his contract.

Guess what. He could be stop lossed again after he returns in December. His original discharge date was January, 2008.

What are we going to do?

Well, he’s going to suck it up and honor his contract.

And we’re going to sigh deeply and keep sending packages and love.

Mommynator on March 29, 2008 at 5:07 PM

I’ve been subjected to the TV ad for this movie daily for the past week, and it’s a piece of crap. I’m sure the movie is a lot better.

/sarc

I’m sure they’ll get a Kos Kid/DU/Puffington Host/Jason Leopold Fan Club audience, but that’s about all.

Del Dolemonte on March 29, 2008 at 5:08 PM

I have no sympathy for an Anti-War movie flopping when it’s not a ridiculously good movie. From the reviews I’ve read Stop-Loss wasn’t exactly Apocalypse Now, so I don’t mind its box-office failure at all. It can join the ranks of Rendition, Lions for Lambs and Redacted as anti Iraq War films which didn’t get any attention for being good.

Mister Mets on March 29, 2008 at 5:09 PM

Heh. That’s pretty good. I suppose it was the result of a “Let’s do lunch”?

a capella on March 29, 2008 at 1:49 PM

Yup. Wasn’t my lunch either but it seemed pretty common.

Ares on March 29, 2008 at 5:28 PM

I’m shocked.

The seventy year old hippie critics at Rolling Stone are calling it the greatest drama evah! Movie of the year!!

How could MTV have misunderstood what America wants for entertainment????

Hening on March 29, 2008 at 5:45 PM

The only things less popular than the war WaPo itself are dramatic films and television shows about the conflict steaming piles of crap being sold as films.

There, now I feel better.

Branch Rickey on March 29, 2008 at 5:57 PM

How does this trailer make everyone else feel when they see it? Pretty effing pssd! I’m active duty and it made me want to rip someone’s head off I admire you and your wife for not doing it – you are better than I (my wife was seething through it too) and by the time it was over it had more or less ruined the movie I was about to watch. Is it like that for anyone else? Haven’t been to the movies since Team America.
Make a really kickass movie about Operation Al Fajr (Phantom Fury was a cooler name) and I bet the people will flock to theaters. Please do it and reap much goodness

blankminde on March 29, 2008 at 1:52 PM

Branch Rickey on March 29, 2008 at 6:16 PM

…applauds the moonbats…

Congratulations. Your attempt at screaming “SEE!!???? WE STILL MATTER!!!!” Fell on deaf ears.

You still look pathetic.

Time for “circus of the stars” to make a comeback.

Black Adam on March 29, 2008 at 6:26 PM

Spolitics on March 29, 2008 at 2:32 PM

ROFL!

Branch Rickey on March 29, 2008 at 6:27 PM

The director Kim Peirece like to call herself “military family” because her brother is in the service. Her BS line is that she “supports” the troops. Of course if Obama/Clinton get into office, any soldier who goes against the “civilian authority” is a right wing nut ala the Clinton years. I would say boycott Stop Loss but people have done that already.

RobCon on March 29, 2008 at 7:23 PM

New anti-war movie tanks because America’s “not ready yet,” or whatever

Or maybe, and I know it’s a stretch, but maybe these type of movies just suck.

Hog Wild on March 29, 2008 at 8:08 PM

I’d rather sit through another crappy presentation of “The Day After Tomorrow” at least the part where the dumb guy almost drowned in a flooding subway was grounds for a cheap laugh.

Capitana on March 29, 2008 at 8:39 PM

Here’s how Variety predicted things this past Thursday:

But the outlook seems grim for Paramount’s Iraq war drama “Stop-Loss,” opening at 1,291 amid expectations that moviegoers are not yet in the mood for bigscreen explorations of the painful issues raised by the five-year conflict. The outlook’s also downbeat for Picturehouse’s Brit romantic comedy “Run Fatboy Run” at 1,133.

. . .

By contrast, “Stop-Loss” is barely registering among potential moviegoers despite generally positive notices. Rival distribs believe Kimberly Peirce’s tale, centering on Iraq War vets forced to return to the battlefield after completing their tour of duty, won’t connect with much of the moviegoing public and is headed for a showing in the $3 million range.

The disappointing results for “Stop-Loss” won’t come as a huge surprise in the wake of modest results from similar fare such as “Rendition,” “In the Valley of Elah,” “Redacted” and “The Kingdom.”

It’s not that audiences don’t like war-themed movies in general, as the same article demonstrates:

But 2008 has yet to see the equivalent of “300,” which launched a year ago with a stunning $70.8 million opening weekend on its way to a $210 million domestic gross.

I saw Rendition and In the Valley of Elah last year. Rendition was technically well-made but the story was disappointingly simplistic and clichéd. The film systematically avoided looking at any of the interesting issues raised by its premise, and did nothing of interest. Elah was actually a pretty good film (as reflected in the Academy Award nomination received by Tommy Lee Jones), but it suffered from a terminally stupid title and total lack of studio support.

The studios do live in a giant bubble here. Paramount (the home of Stop-Loss) appears on the verge of another massive disruption as the DreamWorks people who joined in 2006 are heavily rumored to be getting ready to bail out in 2008. If Geffen leaves, as predicted, Spielberg is likely to follow, leaving the studio with very thin talent at the top. Its biggest hope is the upcoming Indiana Jones sequel.

It’s kind of a miracle that anything watchable makes it out of the system.

Voiceguy on March 29, 2008 at 8:41 PM

The older I get the more I loathe Hollywood.

Domino on March 29, 2008 at 10:29 PM

Didn’t MTV used to have like a music show on it or something? Somehow I have that in my mind. I can’t think of where I heard it though.
Anyone? Anyone?

Geronimo on March 29, 2008 at 11:16 PM

blankminde: yeah, I have friends who always come to movies late because they don’t care about trailers. I love watching them. But the Stop Loss trailer has made me reconsider that. It really just leaves me painfully disappointed. It hurts to sit quietly in the dark and see the truth mangled so badly.

I’ve only seen one movie in the last couple of months, partially because after seeing that trailer twice I just decided not to suggest movies to my friends until that one was gone. (The movie I did see was Persepolis–I enjoyed it. And it didn’t have the Stop Loss trailer in front of it.)

capvideo on March 29, 2008 at 11:33 PM

Go see “Run Fat Boy Run” instead. It’s a funny and entertaining movie. Absolutely “0″ anti-american sentiment! In fact Simon has a Team America poster in his flat!

badpenguin on March 30, 2008 at 12:15 AM

“However I find great solace in the fact that these clowns are losing money because most Americans don’t give a rat’s arse about this type of smarmy Hollywood propaganda.”

the cast gets paid and the people who wanted this made get their money. The only people who lose out are the shareholders, and we know how much everage the average shareholder has on the direction of a company.

davod on March 30, 2008 at 6:43 AM

But I thought we were at war?

Couldn’t help it. Anyway, haven’t seen too many good things being said about RFBR either, despite it being Simon Pegg and all..

Reaps on March 30, 2008 at 7:31 AM