Aiming for a darker world Update: Google’s hypocrisy

posted at 8:43 am on March 29, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

Global-warming advocates showed a hint of how they would run the world in Sydney, Australia, the first major city in the world to participate in Earth Hour. The city turned off its lights and its citizens had to rely on candles for their activities. Even Google celebrated it with a black background, asking people to turn off their electricity as well:

Sydney’s iconic Opera House and Harbour Bridge went dark Saturday night as the world’s first major city turned off its lights for this year’s Earth Hour, a global campaign to raise awareness of climate change.

The lights on the arch of Harbour Bridge were turned off at 8 p.m., followed shortly by the shells of the Opera House and other city landmarks. Most businesses and homes were already dark as Sydney residents embraced their second annual Earth Hour with candlelight dinners, beach bonfires and even a green-powered outdoor movie.

The city was noticeably darker, though not completely blacked out. The business district was mostly dark; organizers said 250 of the 350 commercial buildings there had pledged to shut off their lights completely.

Welcome to the fantasy of anthropogenic climate-change true believers. Their aspirations to make the world a little darker and colder came to life during Earth Hour, even while evidence mounts that their scientific hypotheses and models have serious flaws. Instead of handling legitimate scientific criticism as scientists, they have instead responded with obloquy and charges of heresy.

They do not want to find alternative energy sources that will fully replace what we have now. They want to reverse industrialization entirely, and they want top-down management of energy production to get it. They want a darker world, one in which candles replace light bulbs and the energy that runs the global economy — and has produced the best living standards in human history — gets rationed to satisfy the whims of statists and earth-worshipers.

There are many good reasons to work towards energy independence and the reduction of emissions from hydrocarbon-based energy production, but no good reason to cheer for darkness. Earth Hour is just another absurdity from a movement full of them.

Update: While Google scolds the rest of the world about turning off the lights, HA reader Simon Scowl directs our attention to this month’s Harper’s, which has an interesting look at Google’s plans to exploit cheap electricity in Oregon. Thanks to a boatload of government subsidies, Google located its new server farm on the Columbia River — where it will use enough electricity to light Tacoma, Washington.

But that’s not the best part. According to Harper’s, Google and its competitors have now started building data centers in places like Lithuania, Dublin, Siberia, and Shanghai. What do all these locations have in common? Except for Lithuania, where 78% of the power will be nuclear, all of them rely on carbon-spewing energy production with lower prices and fewer controls on emissions. So much for Earth Hour, eh?

Update II: Simon says (heh) that I had the wrong link for Harper’s.  I’ve fixed it now.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

C’mon Austrailia. Don’t become the next Britain.

THE CHOSEN ONE on March 29, 2008 at 8:49 AM

As a symbolic gesture of reverse solidarity, for the next 60 minutes I shall turn on most of the lights at my place. I urge others to do the same. Global cooling you know.

inviolet on March 29, 2008 at 8:50 AM

That makes North Korea the “greenest” nation in the world.
They have also culled many of the carbon producing human beings in their country.

RobCon on March 29, 2008 at 8:51 AM

Five candles give off about as much CO2 as the power generation needed for a 100 watt light bulb. Not sure how much CO2 is generated by wood fires used at home for heat and cooking, but I would say it’s more than conventional fuels. Of course it’s not about CO2, it’s about control.

And let’s not forget that ever useful third world practice of agricultural burning that covers entire countries with soot, smoke and CO2.

I wonder what would happen to the power grid if this nonsense was really tried. I bet there would be a lot of generators dropping off, and days to get the grid working again. Modern life is run with electricity.

At 8:00 tonight I am doing my part, turn every light in the house on for an hour. Save the grid!!!

tarpon on March 29, 2008 at 8:51 AM

North Korea’s pretty dark. Let’s do whatever they’re doing.

saint kansas on March 29, 2008 at 8:53 AM

Even Google celebrated it with a black background…

And doesn’t a black backround like that actually use up more energy than a white backround?

JetBoy on March 29, 2008 at 8:54 AM

I think it’s kinda cool. What’s wrong with saving electricity? Spending the night with your friends at the beach rather than watching TV? Or even, gasp, getting a full 8 hours night sleep instead of browsing the net or playing xbox until the early morning?

tlynch001 on March 29, 2008 at 8:56 AM

It is also pollutes far more by turning off lights for an hour and then turning them right back on.

sweeper on March 29, 2008 at 8:58 AM

Whoa. Amen! Preach it, brother.

‘Cept I think it’s really even worse. I think that not exactly as a conspiracy but on some sort of just-below-the-surface level they all see that this is their golden opportunity to get all those pesky people who want to live their lives on their own to toe the line and see the light and be subjected to the benevolent will of their betters.

And in the process, since global warming is a global problem, well, unfortunately those outmoded notions like nations will just have to be piled onto the ash-heap of history in order that the rightful government of the world, the UN, can effectively ration our dwindling resources and teach us all to live in love and peace and understanding and harmony.

Typhoon on March 29, 2008 at 8:58 AM

The inch and a half of snow in my yard that I got yesterday (in Springtime, mind you) calls hooey on Earth hour.

Chalk me up as another one who’ll turn on every frakin’ light in the house at 8.

crazy_legs on March 29, 2008 at 8:58 AM

I think it’s kinda cool. What’s wrong with saving electricity?

Where do you think that electricity comes from? It is not saved.

sweeper on March 29, 2008 at 8:59 AM

In other news, Sydney reports there were over 50 serious accidents, 75 robberies and 30 assaults during last night’s blackout.

TheBigOldDog on March 29, 2008 at 9:00 AM

JetBoy on March 29, 2008 at 8:54 AM

Well, no. White on your screen is wide open; red, green and blue all illuminated.

Typhoon on March 29, 2008 at 9:00 AM

The inch and a half of snow that I got yesterday – in Springtime, mind you, over and above the 4+ feet that’s only started melting – calls hooey on Earth hour.

Chalk me up as another one who’ll turn every freaking light in the house on at 8 tonight.

crazy_legs on March 29, 2008 at 9:00 AM

Sorry for the double-post. For some reason, the first one didn’t show up after I hit “submit” or after a refresh.

crazy_legs on March 29, 2008 at 9:01 AM

JetBoy on March 29, 2008 at 8:54 AM

Like actors wearing $25K outfits and getting limo rides to the “raise awareness about poverty” banquets, only the “we care” symbolism counts. Don’t you know anything? /s

inviolet on March 29, 2008 at 9:02 AM

FTR here’s Google’s own explanation of exactly how much energy they save with the black screen (see paragraph # 1).

Ironically I used even more energy looking that up and posting it here. muhwahahaha…

inviolet on March 29, 2008 at 9:08 AM

Typhoon on March 29, 2008 at 9:00 AM

Well, I did a little searching, and from what I’ve found, if you use one of those bulky CRT monitors, the color doesn’t make much of a difference in energy usage. But if you have a flat-screen LCD monitor, an all-black page would use up more energy than a white one.

JetBoy on March 29, 2008 at 9:09 AM

“Even Google celebrated it with a black background,”

Funny that Google didn’t turn off their servers. Sort of like AlGore and his penchant for private jets.

mred on March 29, 2008 at 9:10 AM

Bonfires, mmmmm…., poluting, the hypocricy of it all.

Johan Klaus on March 29, 2008 at 9:12 AM

OR….They could really reduce CO2 output if they just stop breathing for an hour.

Sounds like a plan to me.

IrishEi on March 29, 2008 at 9:14 AM

I just got rid of Google.

Johan Klaus on March 29, 2008 at 9:14 AM

That clinches it. No more electricity for illumination. Let’s go back to what was used before. Er, that was kerosene, so scratch that, let’s use what was used before kerosene: whale oil! Bring back the sail powered whaling ships!

rbj on March 29, 2008 at 9:15 AM

IrishEi on March 29, 2008 at 9:14 AM

“Good Idea”

Johan Klaus on March 29, 2008 at 9:15 AM

Global-warming advocates

Stupid anti-capitalist promoting bad science.

Zorro on March 29, 2008 at 9:21 AM

My church has elderly people talking about turning down their heat in Winter and using candles. It’s truly insane. If you want to make a difference support nuclear energy and keep the candles for atmosphere while you are bumping ugly.

Hening on March 29, 2008 at 9:23 AM

Being darker at night would be a lot easier if a) we as a species weren’t out so much more at night than we were in generations past, and b) if everyone was honest.

Since I don’t see those two things changing any time soon…

Exactly.

Bob's Kid on March 29, 2008 at 9:23 AM

JetBoy on March 29, 2008 at 9:09 AM

Well, um…not to try and disparage your research, but since I make my living in the field of digital color management, I think I’m on pretty solid ground in my assertion.

mred’s got the right take on it, though. Nothing sucks down power quite like a server farm. If Google wanted to do more than “make a statement” they could have really “gone to black.”

Typhoon on March 29, 2008 at 9:24 AM

At the witching hour tonight I will have my house lights blazing and maybe even fire up my 25kw generator as a sign of solidarity for those that aren’t self-loathing, anti-capitalism moonbats.

David in ATL on March 29, 2008 at 9:25 AM

Exactly what is happening people who question the theory of evolution.

maynila on March 29, 2008 at 9:27 AM

This is really silly. The people of Sidney pull together and have a big event, probably having a lot of fun, and all the HA poster can do is mock and flaunt their intellect in matters of power consumption.

It’s kinda like piling on the ‘different kid’ in high school, except in this case the ‘different kid’ is drinking beer with hot Australian women and doesn’t care what you think.

tlynch001 on March 29, 2008 at 9:27 AM

Exactly what is happening TO people who question the theory of evolution.

My preview button is not working.

maynila on March 29, 2008 at 9:28 AM

Yeah, turning off your lights for an hour, what a blast.

Jim Treacher on March 29, 2008 at 9:28 AM

tlynch001 on March 29, 2008 at 9:27 AM

Well that doesn’t make any sense.

Since there was no practical benefit to the stunt, why do it if not to influence what people think?

And if people think it’s a moronic stunt, and the warm-earthers are on a steamroller set on flattening our way of life, why on earth shouldn’t we say so?

Typhoon on March 29, 2008 at 9:31 AM

Yeah, turning off your lights for an hour, what a blast.

Jim Treacher on March 29, 2008 at 9:28 AM

What’s a matter, can’t go an hour without your TV?

tlynch001 on March 29, 2008 at 9:33 AM

Typhoon on March 29, 2008 at 9:24 AM

Point taken :-)

I mean, I only “googled” for it (ironic, huh?) but yeah…

And is there any numbers out there that show these “lights out” things actually DO anything? Seems every couple of months or so there’s another stunt like this. But I never see how they really effect energy use, or that the world will live to spin another day.

JetBoy on March 29, 2008 at 9:38 AM

I can go for days without my TV.

Jim Treacher on March 29, 2008 at 9:41 AM

Make people feel less guilty about their prosperity, I guess.

Jim Treacher on March 29, 2008 at 9:41 AM

Maybe they think it is the right thing to do. Or maybe they think it will be a fun group activity. Maybe they like the sense of community. Why is everyone so down on them?

You (collective) don’t want them tell you how to live. Why don’t you let them do what they want?

tlynch001 on March 29, 2008 at 9:41 AM

oops, quote issues…

tlynch001 on March 29, 2008 at 9:42 AM

About 23 months ago I turned out my lights for an hour. The result? Well, she’s now a year old and calls me Daddy. There might be something to this “Earth Hour” gig after all.

FishFearMe on March 29, 2008 at 9:44 AM

Why is everyone so down on them?

Why not? They have fun their way, we have fun our way.

Jim Treacher on March 29, 2008 at 9:45 AM

tlynch001 on March 29, 2008 at 9:27 AM

It is the hypocricy of it all. Even in Tazmania.

Johan Klaus on March 29, 2008 at 9:47 AM

JetBoy on March 29, 2008 at 9:38 AM

I’m actually old enough I remember the very first “Earth Day.”

I was in high school at the time, and what I remember most about it was that a whole group of the types of girls that would later become sorority sisters all got together and rode their bikes to school.

Except not from their individual houses. No, they actually all put their bikes in their cars and drove to the organizer of this moronic event’s house and then rode to school from there.

My guess was that they probably overall burned more gas getting to her house then they all would have by just driving to school.

Just about every stunt I’ve seen since has been right on a par with that one.

On the good news front, though, maybe they’re getting tired. That was “Earth Day.” This was “Earth Hour.” Maybe next they’d do an “Earth Minute”, then finally shut up.

Hey, a guy can dream.

Typhoon on March 29, 2008 at 9:48 AM

tlynch001 on March 29, 2008 at 9:41 AM

Um, I don’t see anyone trying to stop them.

Typhoon on March 29, 2008 at 9:50 AM

TheBigOldDog on March 29, 2008 at 9:00 AM

Apart from the accidents, those numbers are waaay down – trust me!

OldEnglish on March 29, 2008 at 9:50 AM

Islamo-fascists want to plunge us into social and spiritual darkness.The enviro-fascists want us live in darkness like vampires so we can leave the world a better place for our children?

sheriff246 on March 29, 2008 at 9:55 AM

I’m going to turn on all my lights and encourage others to do so…this nonsense has to be repudiated — I received a stupid email from someone urging me to turn off my lights, so I wrote back and said, “Hmm, how would you send me this email if you didn’t use the energy resources we use now?”

Global warming advocates are nearing tin-foil hat status.

Richard Romano on March 29, 2008 at 9:57 AM

Lemme get this straight. Turn off your lights to have a positive impact on global warming. Build a fire instead. But wait, there’s more! Places like Denver prohibit most (if not all) new houses from having wood-burning fireplaces to have a positive impact on global warming. However, won’t gas-burning fireplaces with all those evil CO2 emissions harm the environment, too? Can somebody help me out here? I am confused.

FishFearMe on March 29, 2008 at 9:58 AM

Since no one else had, I just wanted to add that criminals HATE when the streets are dark.
I mean, compare any ‘nice’ neighborhood to any ‘bad’ neighborhood in a city and you’ll see that it’s always the nice one that is dimly illuminated and the bad one that is well lit with very few dark hiding places.
This is a GREAT idea.

/sarcasm

MannyT-vA on March 29, 2008 at 9:59 AM

JetBoy on March 29, 2008 at 9:09 AM

an all white web page uses about 74 watts to display, while an all black page uses only 59 watts for LCD Monitors…

JetBoy on March 29, 2008 at 9:38 AM

I think the electricity is getting made to meet peak demand regardless of the symbolic act. I don’t think they can dynamically scale their generation. It can’t be saved so it simple goes up the chimney or out onto the grid to other areas that need it. Over the long term if people conserve, demand goes down and the power plant(s) can shutdown some of their generators to meet the new, lower, peak demand. So, no, these symbolic acts don’t actually save anything unless they get people to change their energy usage patterns.

TheBigOldDog on March 29, 2008 at 10:01 AM

And let us not forget who founded Earth Day…that infamous murderer who stuffed his victim/girlfriend’s body in a closet for a couple of years and who was represented by none other than Arlen Specter (R-PA)
*drum roll*………….
Ira Einhorn

IrishEi on March 29, 2008 at 10:01 AM

TheBigOldDog on March 29, 2008 at 9:00 AM

Exactly. This idea, like many libtard ideas, does not have a basis in reality. Global Warming? I don’t think so, we got some global warming yesterday afternoon in the form of white snow flakes.

If Boston ever pulled this stunt, it would be chaos.

Mooseman on March 29, 2008 at 10:03 AM

From the excellent article I linked to above:

Ira Einhorn took the life of one woman, while the movement that he had a hand in founding seeks to steal the life from all of us.

IrishEi on March 29, 2008 at 10:07 AM

I don’t know if Human’s are causing Global Warming, if there is Global Warming or if we’re just in between Ice Ages. I do know that Rush Limbaugh, the de facto leader of the Conservative media narrative says it’s a fraud, so that’s the company line, so to speak. Love Rush but not sold on it being a fraud.

AYNBLAND on March 29, 2008 at 10:08 AM

rationed to satisfy the whims of statists and earth-worshipers.

Satisfy the whims of statists and people control worshipers.

The global warming farce is just another directed repression opportunity, it’s Islam in an earth first T-shirt.

Waste not want not conservation is one thing, going backwards to the point of living in mud huts is more than absurd enough to prove the fascist desires of the Goreites.

Speakup on March 29, 2008 at 10:10 AM

The best solution to the world’s energy issues doesn’t involve a retreat to Stone-Age lifestyle–nuclear power.

jgapinoy on March 29, 2008 at 10:11 AM

I’m running the self-clean oven tonight while making popcorn.

G-man on March 29, 2008 at 10:18 AM

I think I’ll just keep on doing things like I’ve been doing them for many years now. If the folks in Sydney or Denver or wherever want to turn their lights off in a senseless and useless show of solidarity to some eco-cult ritual more power to them. As for me I’ll just leave my thermostat set where it’s always been and sit back, relax and enjoy life.

Oldnuke on March 29, 2008 at 10:26 AM

The center in the Dalles is powered by hydroelectric. Dam straight!

shirgall on March 29, 2008 at 10:28 AM

I can go for days without my TV.

Jim Treacher on March 29, 2008 at 9:41 AM

I bet I could go even longer without watching your TV.

sweeper on March 29, 2008 at 10:29 AM

Two words: klieg lights.

And googlag’s multi-billion dollar, globalist socialist hypocrisy is well known – esp. when it aids & abets fascists worldwide.

locomotivebreath1901 on March 29, 2008 at 10:31 AM

Siberia and Shanghai? Interesting to say the least.

Google has shown themselves very capable of mining any data you give to them. They keep track of every search people do. They have “desktop search” tools that allow you (and possibly them) to find content on your PC hard drive. People voluntarily give Google access to their email when they use a gmail account. Now Google wants your medical records. What’s next, all of your bank account info?

Google has shown themselves sympathetic with Communist governments (pictures of the Tiananmen Square protests of 1989 are censored by Google in China).

It’s very Orwellian to me. I’d recommend that you uninstall any Google software from your PC, including the web browser “toolbar”, and stop using Google for internet searches. I can’t guarantee that Yahoo is any better, but something in my spirit says that Yahoo is a lot more trustworthy than Google.

Red Pill on March 29, 2008 at 10:33 AM

inviolet on March 29, 2008 at 8:50 AM

I intend to do the same tonight, with the blinds up so the light spill onto the street.

Btw, in my cold winter climate, my incandescent bulbs provide a little heat, so there really is no energy waste. Those “cool” dangerous corkscrew babies give me no heat, so I have to turn up the thermostat. I find them to be energy wasters, among their other faults.

JiangxiDad on March 29, 2008 at 10:34 AM

Let’s not forget December 8th, 2007.

On that day Google *also* celebrated *another* Earth Day and set the websearch page to black. Also, on that day Larry Page, founder of Google, married.

Details:

They shipped in “eco furniture”. Via air planes. You just can’t make this shit up.

Niko on March 29, 2008 at 10:35 AM

AYNBLAND on March 29, 2008 at 10:08 AM

but not sold on it being a fraud

Simple. Do the math. It’s not too difficult, not if I can understand it.

dish on March 29, 2008 at 10:37 AM

GoreBull Warming.

I don’t know who coined that phrase first, but I think it’s great.

Red Pill on March 29, 2008 at 10:37 AM

That’s bullshit. That was, maybe, true for CRT monitors. But LED monitors (you know, the ones most widely used in the Western hemisphere by now) consume the same amount of energy regardless of actual screen content.

Niko on March 29, 2008 at 10:37 AM

I bet I could go even longer without watching your TV.

I’d hope so!

Jim Treacher on March 29, 2008 at 10:42 AM

Is it just me or does the green movement somehow seem anti-humanist?

Where the communists left off these people would love to pick up. Comparisons with statism are very apt indeed when you have people like the Goracle using enough electricity to heat a small village but justifying it by buying carbon offsets (dubious enough science) from a company he has a major shareholding in.

It’s ghastly.

Ares on March 29, 2008 at 10:51 AM

Absolutely! North Korea has been leading the way in Earth friendly Energy policies!! /s

Talon on March 29, 2008 at 11:00 AM

I’ve already made my plans for the earth hour. Not only am I turning on every light. I’m going to have a humidifier and de-humidifier in the same room in an all out death match to see who wins. I may even fire up my lawn tractor, and let it idle for the hour spewing tons of awful carbon dioxide.

If any of my neighbors are followers of this kook religion, I’m going to tell them I’m turning on the lights to raise awareness on global starvation due to the rising costs of food which is being diverted to create ethanol to fight the global warming nonsense.

Snake307 on March 29, 2008 at 11:01 AM

Part of the sillyness of the Green movement…

They just plain don’t have a clue about power generation. All the “alternative” power generation systems only work PART of the time. Solar power? uh, day? Wind? only when it blow… so you STILL have to have standard power generation systems available to handle the FULL load when those don’t work… You end up with TWO power generation systems, which have to be paid for by someone (plant cost). This drives energy prices UP.

Romeo13 on March 29, 2008 at 11:01 AM

If you back Al Gore and paying 30% carbon taxes, by all means, turn out your lights.

The worst part of Glotard warming is the lie that warming is a negative thing. We can only wish it was warming up because the human race thrives when it does. But of course you need to know a little bit of climate history to know that. The Glotards are counting on your ignorance.

I’m turning on all my lights and opening bottles of cheap CO2 charged champaign.

BL@KBIRD on March 29, 2008 at 11:03 AM

Ultimately I think future generations are going to remember this as The Second Dark Ages. Yeesh.

I KNOW our brains must be somewhere. But WHERE??

Rethuglican on March 29, 2008 at 11:06 AM

Being probably the only energy guy here on HA (I’m a petroleum geologist and making a killing these days!), I would remind you that we do NOT have an electric-generation problem in this country. We have vast mountain ranges of cheap coal and nuclear material. What we lack is the will and intelligent, patriotic politicos.
What we DO need are sources of transportation fuels. The only part of the country stupid enough to burn large masses of “fuel oil” is up un the liberal la-la land of the east coast.
That said, anyone who does not propose drilling in ANWR is not serious about energy and is full of crap. That’s a good test, by the way. Just ANWR itself (which would add over 25% to our national oil production) would take 50 billion (or more) dollars off our yearly trade deficit, and would strongly affect both the world oil markets and our dollar decline, since no one believes that the US is serious about doing anything real about its present predicament.
You will never hear a logical argument from those people. There really is no adult-level discussion with them, just some crap about polar bears or caribou or other puerile BS.
And forcing Americans to have 5, 6 or even 7 dollar gas doesn’t faze them a bit, the worthless bastards.
Energy, unlike this Global Warming crap, is truly life-or-death. Some folks need to get their asses kicked for what they are planning to do to this prosperous nation of ours.

TexasJew on March 29, 2008 at 11:08 AM

TexasJew on March 29, 2008 at 11:08 AM

Great post.

JiangxiDad on March 29, 2008 at 11:11 AM

My hunch has been proven correct that all the old Y2K consultants have settled in Sydney.

JAW on March 29, 2008 at 11:17 AM

TexasJew on March 29, 2008 at 11:08 AM

The Joos are taking over Big Awl now?

/mucho sarc

FishFearMe on March 29, 2008 at 11:18 AM

TexasJew on March 29, 2008 at 11:08 AM

The Joos are taking over Big Awl now?

/mucho sarc

FishFearMe on March 29, 2008 at 11:18 AM

Not likely…
Actually, come to think of it, Marcus Samuel founded Shell, which was named after the trinkets his immigrant father sold on the beach at Brighton to tourists.

TexasJew on March 29, 2008 at 11:23 AM

Oh, I forgot. They already have a hold on Hollywood and banking. How inconsiderate of me! LOL

I hope you know I am joking.

FishFearMe on March 29, 2008 at 11:27 AM

Being probably the only energy guy here on HA
TexasJew on March 29, 2008 at 11:08 AM

I don’t think you’re the only ‘energy guy’ here on HA, there are several more.

The rest of your post, however, is spot on, especially that last part.

Oldnuke on March 29, 2008 at 11:31 AM

I hope you know I am joking.

FishFearMe on March 29, 2008 at 11:27 AM

These days, I would certainly trade banking for the lure of selling Carbon Credits to power companies along with the friends of our crooked politicians and Al Gore.

Of course, because of this hideous and nonproductive Ponzi scheme, when our electricity bills triple and/or quadruple (and believe me, they will!!) and our industries close down, the dollar will furhter collapse and all those huge paper profits will be made worthless.

So we will then have to trade in sea shells and beads, just like our own Native Americans and Marcus Samuel’s old dad did.

TexasJew on March 29, 2008 at 11:38 AM

Tomorrow’s headline: Airport honors Earth Hour by turning off runway lights, forgets to tell pilots.

p40tiger on March 29, 2008 at 11:41 AM

It’s symbolic of the dark empty space inside these idiots heads! It is also a sign of where they wish us all to go!
Civilization is coming to an end. The death of the West is certain unless a real conservative comes forth. We rush like madmen inventing ways to destroy our food and water supply for our energy needs while we sit on top of billions of barrels of oil! All to protect ourselves from a hoax and a lie! It used to be a joke to see a man walking down the street wearing a sign declaring the end is near! Now it is shouted from our schools, colleges and governments! People who dare to speak out the truth are now mocked! And not by drunks, but by employers, politicians and movie stars!! The so called best of our society! And what is this lie!!?? That freedom and democracy are destroying the planet and only Marxists and morons can save us!! All this while barbarians circle us all eagerly anticipating like mad dogs to blow up our children and cut off our heads!
What will some future generation think of us a thousand years from now when stumbling upon our ruins??! They built tall buildings and made some breakthroughs is science, but were enslaved by some strange cult like religion, sacrificing their children, themselves and eventually their entire civilization to the weather gods.

JellyToast on March 29, 2008 at 11:44 AM

An all white web page uses about 74 watts to display, while an all black page uses only 59 watts for LCD Monitors…

Exactly. In fact, even according to the link provided, the quoted numbers are, in fact, for CRTs.

nosliwelyk on March 29, 2008 at 11:46 AM

What kind of spread do we have in residential electricity costs among the HA reader base? Right now I pay 6.25 cents per Kwhr annualized. My supplier has a large nuclear capacity, large coal cap, some hydro and uses oil for peaking. That’s in Virginia, what’s it like in other areas?

Oldnuke on March 29, 2008 at 11:50 AM

OK…the best source I can find is from SCIENTIFIC AMERICAN that says LCD’s use up slightly more energy to display a black screen than a white one.

JetBoy on March 29, 2008 at 11:55 AM

At the end of the Medieval Warm Period, those good souls living at the time located those sorcerers and witches they were believed to have caused the cold and wet weather and executed them. Buy that reasoning the ensuing Little Ice Age was caused by their attack on these that practiced black magic. So be careful what you do Goricals.

amr on March 29, 2008 at 11:57 AM

I don’t think you’re the only ‘energy guy’ here on HA, there are several more.

The rest of your post, however, is spot on, especially that last part.

Oldnuke on March 29, 2008 at 11:31 AM

Well, share your expertise! We’re fighting a battle here and Al Gore et al are winning with their “climate scientist” hacks and kickback artists.

I’ve been in the oil patch since I was an eager lad of 17, back when oil was under $3. Most of my fellow geologists and petroleum engineers are afraid to speak out, since so many of them work for the majors, who are trying to work out a deal with their captors (the Dem Congress) with all that “green” garbage. Of course, they know it’s all nonsense(these folks are NOT stupid), but the 2006 election scared the pants off them. And when President Bush (whom I used to consult for in his Midland days), supposedly an “oil man” atarted to turn a sickly shade of green, they knew the game was over. Now it’s just a form of the Stockholm Syndrome.
Case in point – BP green! “Beyond Petroleum”, etc. Biggest BS line of the past 10 years (Al Gore excepted). If they were truly “green”, they’d be out of business (and we’d be out of oil!)
As an independent, I’m not constrained, and I rant and rave to my professional societies and to other independent groups, but there needs to be more of us.

Back in 2004, I wrote a letter to the WSJ, which got published and spread around, but then got hammered in print by several old retired idiots who used to run the CIA or something and who were then involved in some tax-funded scheme to turn “turkey offal” into fuel oil. That’s the level of thievery our bureaucratic and political class has sunk to. – Making desperately energy-dependent taxpayers pay out millions of profits to shovel turkey crap..

TexasJew on March 29, 2008 at 12:00 PM

Strongbad, better than ever.

- The Cat

MirCat on March 29, 2008 at 12:04 PM

TexasJew on March 29, 2008 at 11:08 AM

Well said!

From what I can tell, about 30% of the world’s population is irredeemably insane. Unfortunate since that portion also seems to have control over cameras, microphones, and information distribution and search facilities.

The sooner these people become the butt of derrisive jokes, and held up as what not to be, the better.

techno_barbarian on March 29, 2008 at 12:04 PM

The people behind these type demonstrations want desperately to control your life. All aspects of your life. They will not be happy until you are living in a cave with only a single candle for light. DO NOT ENCOURAGE THEM. In Phoenix, our boy mayor “FLASH” Gordon, has signed on to this wackiness. In support of this movement, I personally will have every possible light, electronic device, and appliance turned on and up full blast.

pueblo1032 on March 29, 2008 at 12:05 PM

Jim Treacher, can I use your TV for that hour? Also your Internet connection, microwave, and garage?

Ed Morrissey on March 29, 2008 at 12:07 PM

PS. I’ll bring popcorn.

Ed Morrissey on March 29, 2008 at 12:07 PM

Problem is, turning out the lights for just an hour stands a chance of aggravating the problem with the resulting baby boom (hey, I was young once; I remember how that works ;)

michaelo on March 29, 2008 at 12:07 PM

Nuclear power would eliminate the need to act like a bunch of dam fools.

Google’s hypocrisy

This idiotic paranoia makes me want to go burn a tire.

leanright on March 29, 2008 at 12:13 PM

It’s the city of Mordor! One dim bulb to rule them all…or is it two rings?

threeCents on March 29, 2008 at 12:16 PM

In a gesture of solidarity, I pledge to pretend I care about their feelings for the next hour.

drjohn on March 29, 2008 at 12:20 PM