Obama’s Wright Stuff: The tapdance continues

posted at 12:50 pm on March 28, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

Jim Geraghty live-blogged Barack Obama’s appearance today on The View, where Obama continues his efforts to distance himself from his pastor, Rev. Jeremiah Wright, and his incendiary sermons. AP has already noted Obama’s statement that he would have left Trinity United had Wright’s repeated rhetoric not escaped his notice, but Geraghty caught Obama minimizing Wright in a way that contradicts Obama’s own statements earlier in the campaign and in his book, Dreams from My Father (emphasis mine):

“I talked to [Wright] after this episode. I think he’s saddened by what’s happened. I feel badly that he has been characterized in just this one way. But he was my pastor. I think people overstate this idea of mentor or spiritual adviser. He was my pastor.”

People tend to overstate the idea of mentor or spiritual adviser? I wonder why? Could it be because Obama himself emphasized it at the beginning of his campaign?

Obama says that rather than advising him on strategy, Wright helps keep his priorities straight and his moral compass calibrated.

“What I value most about Pastor Wright is not his day-to-day political advice,” Obama said. “He’s much more of a sounding board for me to make sure that I am speaking as truthfully about what I believe as possible and that I’m not losing myself in some of the hype and hoopla and stress that’s involved in national politics.” …

Though Wright and Obama do not often talk one-on-one often, the senator does check with his pastor before making any bold political moves.

Also, Wright didn’t just serve as Obama’s pastor, political adviser, and calibrator of the moral compass. Wright had an official position as an adviser to the campaign in outreach to African-American communities. That Obama claims he didn’t know about Wright’s positions on race in America before appointing Wright to that task asks people to believe that Obama is, frankly, a fool rather than someone who couldn’t calculate the political damage of “US of KKK-A” and allegations that the American government created HIV to commit genocide.

Obama asks us to trust his judgment and believe that he is a new breed of truth-teller in American politics. Instead, he has demonstrated years of bad judgment in immersing himself in conspiracy-theory theology and anti-American rants, supporting it with tens of thousands of dollars in donations, and then trying to excuse it away with threadbare rationalizations and minimalizations. He will engage in all sorts of doubletalk to achieve victory, which is nothing new in politics — and exposes Obama as nothing exceptional at all, except in his stunning lack of experience.

Update (AP): A quick Google search reveals that there sure are a lot of people out there who were confused on this “pastor vs. mentor” point. Including Obama’s hometown paper, in an article written before the Wright scandal broke big.

Comments

By November of 2008, Obama will have never met the esteemed Reverand Wright.

Entelechy on March 28, 2008 at 12:53 PM

I’m sorry, I don’t like to be crude but this dolt is full of more crap than a Christmas turkey.

rplat on March 28, 2008 at 12:56 PM

internal polls and cross tabs must be showing Obama has a problem, that’s why he keeps returning to this, trying to find the magic bullet

windansea on March 28, 2008 at 12:57 PM

Heh, sounds like rev. Wright’s not doing his job.

4shoes on March 28, 2008 at 12:58 PM

People tend to overstate the idea of mentor or spiritual adviser? I wonder why?

Could it be the fact that the Messiah offers nothing else, all you need is faith in him to solve all of humanities problems. All hail the Messiah!

dmann on March 28, 2008 at 12:59 PM

I cannot comment and/or confirm that Rev Wright either did or did not speak at a church in Chicago nor can I confirm that if such speaking took place that I was or was not within the proximity necessary to in fact have heard any such speech that may or may have not existed.

georgealbert on March 28, 2008 at 1:00 PM

He’s still the likely Dem. nominee. Got pretty far on his race. In the future, if we aren’t as racist a society as we are now, hopefully a black man like Obama won’t be able to rise so far.

JiangxiDad on March 28, 2008 at 1:02 PM

keep his priorities straight and his moral compass calibrated.

Can you say afro-centric?
Wright taught the man (b hussein) how to think!

Entelechy on March 28, 2008 at 12:53 PM

heh.

shooter on March 28, 2008 at 1:03 PM

Wright was unavailable for comment. He is picking out the gold toilets for his six bathrooms in his 10,000 sq ft week-ender home.
L

letget on March 28, 2008 at 1:04 PM

Wright taught the man (b hussein) how to think!
and maybe, sadly, how to hate.

shooter on March 28, 2008 at 1:04 PM

Did the lovely ladies at the View ask him about Operation Chaos?

JammieWearingFool on March 28, 2008 at 1:06 PM

Lies, lies and more lies.

Gotta love the Left.

This guy is a joke. He has no experience. He (and his abrasive wife) are also arrogant and racist. Hussein just holds his tongue on the racist part better than does his wife–you know, the poor downtrodden Michelle Obama of the $300K+ a year job and Harvard education? Oh dear, it must be so hard to be kept down by Whitey like that.

Montana on March 28, 2008 at 1:06 PM

letget on March 28, 2008 at 1:04 PM

That’s right. Wright and the Obamas reject “middleclassness” and go straight for super-rich (which is okay for them, because they’re black and oppressed, but it’s not okay for evil/greedy white Americans).

AZCoyote on March 28, 2008 at 1:08 PM

Seems we’re back to pondering the definition of the word; “is.”

Griz on March 28, 2008 at 1:08 PM

Does this guy think the all Americans are this stupid? Really?

acleaver on March 28, 2008 at 1:08 PM

How bad does this guy want to be President? Hillary would have thrown Wright into the Chicago Greyhound bus terminal two weeks ago.

Hummer53 on March 28, 2008 at 1:09 PM

rplat on March 28, 2008 at 12:56 PM

What kind of Christmas meal did you grow up with?

Mine were poo free.

LimeyGeek on March 28, 2008 at 1:10 PM

Hummer53 on March 28, 2008 at 1:09 PM

Or into some poured concrete foundations

LimeyGeek on March 28, 2008 at 1:11 PM

rplat on March 28, 2008 at 12:56 PM

Uh, interesting metaphor there. Where exactly do you buy your turkeys?

Anyway, this is similar to the “words are important” thing. Obama gives the big “just words?” speech, then tries to convince us Wright’s words aren’t important. He tells us it’s impossible to distance himself from Wright (“like a crazy uncle”), then tells us Wright is only his pastor.

This is prime fodder for McCain commercials. An embarrassment of riches, even. I only hope McCain has the guts to make use of it.

Splashman on March 28, 2008 at 1:11 PM

I. Did not. Have. Mentorial. Relations. with that man.
/end finger wag
-bHUSSEINo

pistolero on March 28, 2008 at 1:13 PM

What kind of Christmas meal did you grow up with?

Mine were poo free.

So were ours after we killed them, cleaned them and dressed them . . . but that was about 70 years ago. Now, we also use the modern “poo free” type.

rplat on March 28, 2008 at 1:13 PM

That Obama claims he didn’t know about Wright’s positions on race in America before appointing Wright to that task…

So let me get this straight, if you don’t ask about someones position or beliefs directly, then you can hire them and not be held responsible?
You can place someone on your staff, and you are not responsible for any background checks?
I can hardly wait to see how he explains how he is picking his cabinet IF elected.

right2bright on March 28, 2008 at 1:14 PM

“He was just my Pastor. As for my book title, I overheard him use that phrase during a coffee and doughnut thingy in the church basement. When I asked if I could use it, he said ‘Sure’ and added that he had a few more similar quotes I might like to consider. I thought about it later, but I was really super busy in DC and never took the reverend up on the offer. Anyway, that’s where I got The Audacity of Hope.”

scatbug on March 28, 2008 at 1:17 PM

By November, Obama won’t even be black.

leftnomore on March 28, 2008 at 1:18 PM

IF I were a racist I would comment on Obama’s ability to shuck and jive regarding Rev. Wright. But I’m not…so I won’t.

ihasurnominashun on March 28, 2008 at 1:21 PM

Hey Barry I suggest you get a bucket of water to sit in, it seems your pants are on fire again.

roux on March 28, 2008 at 1:24 PM

Does this guy think the all Americans are this stupid? Really?

acleaver on March 28, 2008 at 1:08 PM

Not all Americans, most Americans. And, we are getting more stoopid by the minute.

saiga on March 28, 2008 at 1:25 PM

I saw the view today and I agree, he is making matters worse. He never actually said that he would leave the church if Wright were still there, only that he would be uncomfortable staying in it. He also didn’t answer the question about why he called for Imus to be fired for his comments, but not Wright, when we all know Wright stepped down at his behest.

Obama is disingenuous on so many levels. It was apparent in his first three things to do as Prez proclamation on the show today:

Pull out of Iraq because the country won’t be stable until we leave because the factions won’t work together until we do so.

Universal health care.

Energy independence and alternative energy resources.

Nary a mention of the economy? He kbnows what demographic he was playing to today.

awake on March 28, 2008 at 1:28 PM

“I don’t know why Hillary Clinton and the White people on the Right are going after the first African American who has a good chance of being the first Black president of the United States.

It boggles my mind.

But I think know the answer:

It is Racism.

They don’t want to see a Black president.

They don’t want to feel what slavery was like.

They don’t want Black people to succeed, to advance, to have a chance to run something big.

It’s Racism my brothers.

Whites were racists, are racists and will be always racists.”

Indy Conservative on March 28, 2008 at 1:28 PM

rplat on March 28, 2008 at 1:13 PM

It’s alright rplat, these guys probably do not understand that you fatten up the turkeys before to butcher them. The Butterball commercials leave that part out. That saying has been used in my family as long as I can remember.

brtex on March 28, 2008 at 1:29 PM

The Black Value System of Barry’s church

So Barry is wanting us to believe that he had no idea about Rev. Dr.’s slant on things, when the core values of his church are part of this Black Values System…

Um, yeah, ok.

benrand on March 28, 2008 at 1:29 PM

Obama has been parsing words again. He said in North Carolina that the media has been replaying the same tapes over and over again of Wright’s “most offensive statements”. By using the word “most” in the sentence, Obama acknowledges that there are alot more Wright abominations out there. Obama is seeking to insulate himself from what is to come while at the same time defending Wright in speeches to African-Americans. That gives Obama the street cred of not backing down to Whitey. He is trying to have both ways. To a white audience, he emphasizes his gentle differences with Wright. With Black audiences, he defends Wright and shows he is not backing down to the Man.

Larraby on March 28, 2008 at 1:29 PM

Again, Obama can go over hypothetical situations from now until Election Day about what he would have done with Wright, and it’s not as important as what he does do with Rev. Moss, if Wright’s successor continues down his mentor’s path and Barak remains a member of Trinity United.

(Obama’s problem right now is while he is in great shape as far as the nomination goes, he knows he’s going up against the Clintons, and it ain’t over until the last delegate is counted or the U.S. Supreme Court has issued their final ruling against Hillary. He can’t throw Trnity United under the bus, because those people and far left whites on a liberal guilt trip are his firewall — disappoint or anger them and he has no fall back protection from the Clinton attack machine. So he can’t dump Rev. Moss and his church until he officially clinches the nomination, and just has to hope that neither Moss nor Wright drop any more verbal cluster bombs before that time — hence Rev. Wright “decision” to turn into Harpo Marx during his trip to Texas this week.)

jon1979 on March 28, 2008 at 1:37 PM

I’d like someone to ask him if he knew that Wright believed that the US govt. invented AIDS to kill black people. I mean, that’s quite a bombshell for Wright to keep from one of his more prominent parishioners. At any rate, don’t expect anyone granted the privilege of asking him questions to ask Obama this one.

Sean68 on March 28, 2008 at 1:37 PM

brtex on March 28, 2008 at 1:29 PM

I admit, I led a sheltered, poo-free life. Well, we can’t all be as fortunate as you and rplat. ;)

Splashman on March 28, 2008 at 1:38 PM

What is the aim of Black Liberation Theology? What do they hope to achieve? Independent Nation? Removal of other races?
Where do see this rhetoric leading?

I am at a loss as to how this helps them in any way? It leaves the impression that no matter how they may behave face to face, inside they secretly hate you. Not good. This is setback for race relations in this country.

ronsfi on March 28, 2008 at 1:42 PM

benrand on March 28, 2008 at 1:29 PM

It’s much worse than being a “black value system” (which is in itself appalling). It’s about Black Liberation Theology which teaches:

Black theology refuses to accept a God who is not identified totally with the goals of the black community. If God is not for us and against white people, then he is a murderer, and we had better kill him. The task of black theology is to kill Gods who do not belong to the black community. Black theology will accept only the love of God which participates in the destruction of the white enemy. What we need is the divine love as expressed in Black Power, which is the power of black people to destroy their oppressors here and now by any means at their disposal. Unless God is participating in this holy activity, we must reject his love.

We know this is the core principle of Obama’s church because it says so right on the TUCofC website:

The vision statement of Trinity United Church of Christ is based upon the systematized liberation theology that started in 1969 with the publication of Dr. James Cone’s book, Black Power and Black Theology.

Those words I cited are the words of Dr. James Cone.

How ironic that Obama wants to expand Hate Crimes legislation.

Buy Danish on March 28, 2008 at 1:43 PM

Anyone know if there’s any particular outreach effort to non-African communities?

Pablo on March 28, 2008 at 1:45 PM

Ed, while I agree with you that Obama “…will engage in all sorts of doubletalk to achieve victory, which is nothing new in politics”, I certainly see Obama as something dangerously exceptional.

A presidential candidate who has had Rev. Wright as his pastor, mentor, and as someone with whom to check with before making any bold political moves is clearly someone with “bad judgement.” Agreed.

Now in context. As a President, however, this same person will carry the responsibility on decisions towards Iran (mid-East activities in general), numerous Supreme Court appointments – not to mention piddly details about taxes, social programs, etc. etc. between the years 2009-2012.

I find it “noteworthy,” if not exceptional, that someone who condones the message of US of KKK-A, God DAMN America [add your own personal items of note from Wright here], would even be allowed by a political party to continue to run in their name. What then (not so rhetorically), does this say about the Democratic Party? …and, how can this point be best brought to Americans?

Lockstein13 on March 28, 2008 at 1:49 PM

Michelle believes she is doing just that.

JiangxiDad on March 28, 2008 at 1:49 PM

Obama …..

“What you’ve been seeing is a snippet of a man…What if somebody compiled the five stupidest things you ever said, and put them on a thirty second loop, and ran them for two weeks straight?”

Me thinks if we dug deeper into this racist bigot’s past, we could find the five hundred stupidest things he ever said and put then on a one hour loop, and run them 24/7 for the next eight months.

fogw on March 28, 2008 at 1:51 PM

B.O offers nothing to the debate except old failed extreme left-wing policies, and tired racial overtones and innuendo.

He is not a unifying force of any sort.

Chakra Hammer on March 28, 2008 at 1:54 PM

Sorry indy, there is not affirmative action path to the White House. There is the requirement of being somewhat qualified. At least in the eyes of intelligent voters. B. Hussein Obama has the least qualifications of any of the candidates, based upon executive and legislative experience. We are asked to trust his judgement. But when that is examined. He is found to be wanting in that catagory also. I am sorry that the first serious black candidate for President cannot be taken seriously. He is not honest or experienced enough for that high office. As to the slavery charge. Obama is not related to any former slaves. He may be related to former slave traders however. Whites did not sell blacks into slavery. Blacks did.

Zelsdorf Ragshaft on March 28, 2008 at 1:56 PM

Heh! B. Hussein Obama backpeddling up a hill…. what a sight!

MNDavenotPC on March 28, 2008 at 2:02 PM

They’d say, “Man, he’s crude.”

I guarantee though, they won’t say I’m anti-american, and racist, and dis-respectful, and dangerous to the public at large.

He is actually trying to compare what the ‘typical white person’ would stupidly say to what Wright said???

Darksean on March 28, 2008 at 2:04 PM

brtex on March 28, 2008 at 1:29 PM

I prefer my turkeys wild, shot and deep-fried ;) But I do suffer the occasional pumped-up store bird from time-to-time.

Never had that expression where I come from, so was just making some idle fun, that’s all :)

LimeyGeek on March 28, 2008 at 2:04 PM

After all the years of the Bushes and Clintons staying with people out of loyalty long after they should have been fired, it is refreshing to see a candidate within weeks throw his own paster and defacto mother under the bus at his earliest convenience.

pedestrian on March 28, 2008 at 2:04 PM

Zelsdorf Ragshaft on March 28, 2008 at 1:56 PM

Even Silky Pony John Edwards has more “experience” than Obama!

Now thats scary, at least Edwards actually had a successful career suing the h3ll out of companies. >:{

It’s like, uhh what has Obama done… what makes him qualified, why should be be Commander-in-Chief at a time of war? huh? who? what? why? uhh? anyone?

Barack Obama
Assumed office
January 4, 2005
(WOW! a whole 3 years and how long has be be neglecting his duties in the senate while campaigning?)

Chakra Hammer on March 28, 2008 at 2:06 PM

Where do see this rhetoric leading?

Have you seen the Good Rev. Dr.’s new mansion?

Porsches, golfing on the best courses, great meals, everything taken care of for you…that’s where this leads.

benrand on March 28, 2008 at 2:08 PM

Have you seen the Good Rev. Dr.’s new mansion?

benrand on March 28, 2008 at 2:08 PM

LOL!

Chakra Hammer on March 28, 2008 at 2:11 PM

Have you seen the Good Rev. Dr.’s new mansion?

benrand on March 28, 2008 at 2:08 PM

Look at Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton’s bling bling.. thats where it leads..

Chakra Hammer on March 28, 2008 at 2:11 PM

Sadly at the expense of young black kids that are preyed upon by these “Biblical Scholars”.

Chakra Hammer on March 28, 2008 at 2:15 PM

Zelsdorf Ragshaft on March 28, 2008 at 1:56 PM

Please go back to my post.

You will notice that it is written between “” “” .

These were not my words.

I agree with your reply, not to my post, but to the Blacks who carry the argument that I posted and on its basis they will vote for Hussein.

I’ve heard it personally. I read it. And I watched Blacks talking about it among themselves.

Indy Conservative on March 28, 2008 at 2:15 PM

Black Liberation Theology is a systematic platform which incorporates racist and political biblical exegesis in order to swindle Black Americans so that their Black pastors can live like their rich, White Democratic masters.

Hening on March 28, 2008 at 2:15 PM

What the heck is a pastor if not a spiritual advisor?

Dubn8tr on March 28, 2008 at 2:16 PM

What the heck is a pastor if not a spiritual advisor?

Dubn8tr on March 28, 2008 at 2:16 PM

Jesse Jackson is a minister and was spiritual advisor to Bill Clinton during zippergate. Nevermind that Jesse was attempting to hide his own bastard child at the time, but he was there to set Bill Clinton’s moral compass!

Just sayin’ One is judged by the company he keeps. Clergy or not, Jeremiah Wright is a hate-filled racist.

highhopes on March 28, 2008 at 2:35 PM

supporting it with tens of thousands of dollars in donations

That is the cincher, right there. BarryO gave $22,000 in 2006 alone. That is a great deal of money. BarryO was financing racism and hate speech. He can claim he never heard anything inflammatory all he wants, but he is responsible for the actions of the organizations that he finances to this [$$$] degree.

tommylotto on March 28, 2008 at 2:36 PM

Whites were racists, are racists and will be always racists.”

Indy Conservative

Of course! We, the whiteys, are against Hussein because he is half-black. We really would vote for his white half, because we really want a socialist-racist as president. Unfortunately, the black half of Hussein gets in the way. Too bad. Hussein would have made a great socialist-racist-presidente.

saved on March 28, 2008 at 2:36 PM

My friends near Pittsburgh PA, in the town North Versailles, there’s a restaurant called Casa D’Ice. It’s run by a good Italian American friend of mine, Bill Balsamico. He’s quite a character and he’s posts signs outside his place of business to let everyone know what his political beliefs are. Very, shall we say, colorful.

The food is great by the way. Visit here to see his SIGN about the Good Reverend and his receint comments.

Consider Bill for POTUS

Kini on March 28, 2008 at 2:37 PM

Kini on March 28, 2008 at 2:37 PM

I guess he’s not a fan of the “good Rev.” ;)

Chakra Hammer on March 28, 2008 at 2:56 PM

If Obama subscribed to Wright’s line of thinking, don’t you think at least one statement by him would have risen by now? Maybe a studen from his years as a professor…anything? I really believe that if Obama were white he would have wrapped up the nomination by now, the only way to effectively smear him is by painting him as some sort of black power candidate, which any clear-thinking person can see is untrue.

crr6 on March 28, 2008 at 2:56 PM

Funds an anti-American racist, listens to anti-American racist every week, defends an anti-American racist at every turn …

You might get the impression that Obama was an anti-American racist …

stupid Americans … :)

jcarl4283 on March 28, 2008 at 2:56 PM

crr6

Obama has admitted to lying about Wrights sermons … are you clear-thinking enough to be happy voting for a blatant liar ?

jcarl4283 on March 28, 2008 at 2:58 PM

Why is it liberals are always running away from their actions ? Why do they put such stock in words which apparently can change 180 degrees within days ?

Obama is a liberal, he should be proud of that …

jcarl4283 on March 28, 2008 at 3:04 PM

Does this guy think the all Americans are this stupid? Really?

acleaver on March 28, 2008 at 1:08 PM

Sigh. Just enough to get him elected…and he may be right.

funky chicken on March 28, 2008 at 3:06 PM

I guess he’s not a fan of the “good Rev.” ;)

Chakra Hammer on March 28, 2008 at 2:56 PM

Ya think!

Kini on March 28, 2008 at 3:10 PM

pedestrian on March 28, 2008 at 2:04 PM

Heh. Well, it is change.

funky chicken on March 28, 2008 at 3:10 PM

the man loves a racist anti-American …
he hired several an anti-Israel advisors … fired one when she got caught calling Hillary names …
He lies about his parents and his birth …
He outs his grandmother as a “typical white person”, i.e. a racist …
he has the most liberal voting record in the Senate …
lied about his NAFTA stance to either America or Canada (dealers choice :)

None of these things were done too Obama … he did all of these things to himself …

Nobody has to paint Obama as anything, he bathes himself in these ideas an expects us to not notice …

jcarl4283 on March 28, 2008 at 3:11 PM

His pastor is driving the bus he threw his grandmother under …

jcarl4283 on March 28, 2008 at 3:11 PM

crr6 on March 28, 2008 at 2:56 PM

Uhhh… John Edwards(White), Had more experience than Obama…

Kucinich is white and was AGAINST the war from the beginning and actually voted against it..(Is White, Has more experience and like I said was actually there to vote against the war)

Chakra Hammer on March 28, 2008 at 3:13 PM

I would like to know why Condi Rice has injected slavery as our national birth defect into this discussion. http://www.washingtontimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080328/FOREIGN/746301768/1001

It seems the Secretary of State should not be in this type of dialogue given it is in the middle of a divisive campaign. She seems to add fuel to Obama’s justification for feeling antipathy towards “typical white people.”

wepeople on March 28, 2008 at 3:16 PM

wepeople on March 28, 2008 at 3:16 PM

She and Obama agree about the “suffering and humiliation” that the Israelis cause the “oppressed” palestinians too.

I think the palis and our criminal underclass race haters share much in common, and seem also to share the same enablers.

funky chicken on March 28, 2008 at 3:22 PM

The suffering and humiliation of Dr. Rev. Wright when he couldn’t get the exact marble pattern he wanted to for his jacuzzi makes me hurt SO DEEP INSIDE.

PAIN!

PAIN!!!!

benrand on March 28, 2008 at 3:30 PM

Black Americans were a founding population,” she said. “Africans and Europeans came here and founded this country together — Europeans by choice and Africans in chains. That’s not a very pretty reality of our founding.”

As a result, Miss Rice told editors and reporters at The Washington Times, “descendants of slaves did not get much of a head start, and I think you continue to see some of the effects of that.”

“That particular birth defect makes it hard for us to confront it, hard for us to talk about it, and hard for us to realize that it has continuing relevance for who we are today,” she said.

What head start?
She should hear my families history, not every white person is born into wealth. Sheesh.

Chakra Hammer on March 28, 2008 at 3:30 PM

Does anyone wonder how he has risen so fast? No white person has been able to do that. For another view of OHB click on: web.Israelinsider.com/articles/Politics/12745.html

Bambi on March 28, 2008 at 3:46 PM

crr6 on March 28, 2008 at 2:56 PM

“If Obama subscribed to Wright’s line of thinking, don’t you think at least one …” example of this would be evident? Sure, like spending 20 years as a clear devotee of this man who spews hate and racism, donating to his ministry, exposing his children to this hate, and otherwise helping to advance the message by supporting the church.

How, exactly, do you deny this evidence of Obama’s endorsement of Wright?

Jaibones on March 28, 2008 at 4:11 PM

How, exactly, do you deny this evidence of Obama’s endorsement of Wright?

give me on quote by Obama which is in line with what Wright said, or explicitly endorses what Wright says. If anything he’s openly said he strongly disagrees with Wright’s statements. Obama has been in the public eye for several years now, he has said nothing which would suggest he agrees with Wright. The fact that he was close to him does not mean they agree. Similar political beliefs are not a pre-requisite for friendship.

crr6 on March 28, 2008 at 4:22 PM

Look out, Ed!

Using the phrase tapdance when speaking about a lying African American pol will, invariably, be construed as racially charged…by rich white liberals.

SuperCool on March 28, 2008 at 4:41 PM

crr6 on March 28, 2008 at 2:56 PM

Untrue? How’s that? He chose a church based on Black Liberation Theology, which was developed by Dr. Cone, who was a student of Malcolm X. Cone was about to leave the Christian church until he figured out that he could take Malcolm X’s Black Power message, add a dash of Christianity, and go from there.

How can Obama exempt himself from the core message of his church?

Buy Danish on March 28, 2008 at 4:41 PM

How can Obama exempt himself from the core message of his church?

Buy Danish on March 28, 2008 at 4:41 PM

what extreme racial beliefs do you believe Obama has then, and please provide some quotes (from Obama) to substantiate your position. He’s a prominent politician, it shouldn’t be too hard to find some quotes or writings by him if he truly is somehow akin to Malcolm X. Wait you can’t? So your whole smearing of Obama is based on things someone else said (which he has himself has condemned)?

crr6 on March 28, 2008 at 5:11 PM

Okay, I’ll say it… Obama is racist.
1. He refers to black people as “my people”. He is half white. Shouldn’t his people be all races, especially all Americans since it is they that he proposes to lead?
2. He hints that his white grandmother is racist, while claiming his pastor is simply misunderstood.
3. His whole campaign in based on his race. If he were white, his credentials for the presidency would be laughable. He knows that and that is why he does not want to offend his “people” because they, (along with guilt-possessed liberals and Pamela Anderson think-alikes) are his base.

whyme on March 28, 2008 at 5:17 PM

crr6 on March 28, 2008 at 4:22 PM

Ah, but you are asking us to rely on what he says in public instead of his actions. We already know the urgent need for a discussion on race just happened to coincide with the public’s realization that Obama was financially supporting a black power based church and exposing his children to that message. Wouldn’t that be evidence of something? So, why don’t we look more closely at what he does and put less emphasis on what he says for public consumption.

a capella on March 28, 2008 at 5:18 PM

crr6 on March 28, 2008 at 5:11 PM

Read the Trinity UCC introductory statements. If one belongs to that church, one must agree with those principles. Or not??

a capella on March 28, 2008 at 5:22 PM

This is laughable. You’re asking us to rely on what other people he knows have said. As a politician then, give me one piece of legislation or one cause he has advocated that is in line with Wright’s selected statements (i.e. U.S. deserved 9/11, the government engineered AIDS etc). Give me these actions you speak of.

a capella on March 28, 2008 at 5:22 PM

I’ve read them and find them not to be objectionable. Would you see a Jewish temple which advocated the “Jewish” community and praised the “Jewish work ethic” as racist or Jewish supremacist? Replace black with Irish, Italian, Greek Orthodox etc. Also I disagree (as would many) that in order to belong to an organization you need to agree with every single principle. I’m a Catholic but I don’t agree with everything the Catholic church puts out there.

crr6 on March 28, 2008 at 5:42 PM

Whites were racists, are racists and will be always racists.”

Indy Conservative

saved on March 28, 2008 at 2:36 PM

This election just proved how the American people, especially those Whites on the Left are Fake, Hypocrites, Politically Correct and Liars.

Do you really think the Whites on the Left are voting for Hussein because his “qualifications?”

Do you really think the Blacks on the Left are voting for Hussein because his “qualifications?”

Both groups are voting for Hussein because he’s BLACK.

The Blacks are voting for him because he’s one of them.

The Lefty Whites are voting for him because they want to send a message that they are not racists.

This is the Truth.

But unfortunately nobody can say it in public, on TV, on the Radio or in the papers because we are a nation of Hypocrites, of Liars, of Fakes, of Cowards, of Politically Correct idiots.

Indy Conservative on March 28, 2008 at 6:36 PM

a capella on March 28, 2008 at 5:22 PM

I’ve read them and find them not to be objectionable.

crr6 on March 28, 2008 at 5:42 PM

East is East and West is West and never the twain shall meet then, right? Surely, that must be true if you don’t find this objectionable:

Buy Danish on March 28, 2008 at 6:57 PM

Does this guy think the all Americans are this stupid? Really?

acleaver on March 28, 2008 at 1:08 PM

No, he’s counting on it.

Just keep talking Obama. Please.

Hog Wild on March 28, 2008 at 8:34 PM

Yahoo news is featuring a vid of Elizabeth from the View making a good analogy about Wright, & they’re treating her as if she were stupid, saying she graduated from Moron University Debate School.
Liberal media antics.

jgapinoy on March 28, 2008 at 8:44 PM

you know what i worry about? no one in the media talks about obama! should voters be concerned about wright,ayers and daly? sure! obama is just telling the american voters that he will implement his own ayers and alenski POLICIES.

obama sucks as far as the economy goes.
obama says that he will redistribute the wealth?
the real numbers are not 1/4 million. but closer to 200,000.
so it will boil down that a SINGLE PERSON WHO MAKES 100 TO 125 K WILL PAY MORE TAXES.

health care?
obama plan = canada.
if anyone can explain to me that the fact that 19 doctors educated in canada practice medicine in the u.s. when only one amerecan educated doctor goes to canada? why is it that people who live in canada come to the u.s. for medical treament. the answer should be obvious. SOCIALIZE HEALTH DOES NOT WORK!

when it comes to national security obama is dumber than a rock. i will talk to anyone.? even hllary said that is not a good thought. biden even says that mccain is better on national security.

energy?

when the u.s. is caught in a need for more energy and national security obama says i think about off shore drilling. no nukes unless? unless we can guarantee something that even the french (70+percent nuclear) can not do! so what do we end up with? no oil ,no coal,no natural gas, and no nuclear!

back to the economy.

every left pundit say its the bush economy. how is it that with bush the economy grew for six years and as soon as the pelosi reid frank dodd economy takes over everthing goes in the tank!

TomLawler on October 22, 2008 at 12:51 PM