Video: Global warming skeptics not unlike flat-earthers, muses Goracle

posted at 9:04 pm on March 27, 2008 by Allahpundit

Via JWF. Once again we’re treated to the special charm Gore brings in spreading the gospel of conservation to conservatives. I’ve said my piece on that subject more than once before so I won’t run through it again, but is it too much to ask him to at least spare us the condescension until his guys work out the kinks in their temperature models? Click the image to watch.

Update: I’ve imported the comments from the Headline item on this.

gore-60mins.jpg

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

You’re all heretics and apostates or apostrophe’s or something and when the Gorebots take over you’ll all be lined up and frozen at the stake…cause, cause burning would, like, release carbon and stuff…so there!

Oldnuke on March 27, 2008 at 10:39 PM

I don’t believe the Earth is flat, but I do believe Gore invented the internet. I do, I do, I do believe.

jgapinoy on March 27, 2008 at 10:47 PM

Don’t blame Gore. He’s a True Believer. He was brainwashed in college by what’s his face.
Seixon on March 27, 2008 at 10:23 PM

And molested, in a snow bank, by bigfoot while being held down by wombats.

Oldnuke on March 27, 2008 at 10:49 PM

Sorry, couldn’t resist quoting this:

Going to bed now!

FloridaBill on March 27, 2008 at 10:58 PM

AGW true believers’ zeal not unlike Branch Davidians muses burnitup

burnitup on March 27, 2008 at 11:00 PM

questions?

windansea on March 27, 2008 at 10:11 PM

No. Sir.

Jaibones on March 27, 2008 at 11:08 PM

tree hugging sister on March 27, 2008 at 10:05 PM

Oh, I know that. But I partly brought up NASA because of that Aqua satellite data is doing to these bozos–it’s going to blow their computer models out of the water. Go here for more on this– http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,23411799-7583,00.html

Money quote: “These findings [from the Aqua satellite] actually aren’t being disputed by the meteorological community. They’re having trouble digesting the findings, they’re acknowledging the findings, they’re acknowledging that the data from NASA’s Aqua satellite is not how the models predict, and I think they’re about to recognise that the models really do need to be overhauled and that when they are overhauled they will probably show greatly reduced future warming projected as a consequence of carbon dioxide.” This article was linked here on HA a few days ago.

Oh, and the people at NASA know for sure the earth ain’t flat. They seent it.

smellthecoffee on March 27, 2008 at 11:14 PM

Al Gore not unlike Charles Dawson.

MB4 on March 27, 2008 at 7:33 PM

How about not unlike Charles Darwin? Believing in something that isn’t true.

cjs1943 on March 27, 2008 at 11:18 PM

Al Gore not unlike that little white speck on top of chickenshit.

TexasJew on March 27, 2008 at 11:22 PM

Al Gore not unlike Charles Dawson.

MB4 on March 27, 2008 at 7:33 PM

Your missplelling has inspired me!

Al Gore not unlike Richard Dawson.

TexasJew on March 27, 2008 at 11:24 PM

Charles Dawson (1864 – August 1916) was an amateur British archaeologist who is credited and blamed with discoveries that turned out to be imaginative frauds, including that of the Piltdown man.

The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than in the church.
- Ferdinand Magellan

MB4 on March 27, 2008 at 11:32 PM

I can’t believe how some of you jump to down/correct MB4, when Charles Dawson is so known, or so easy to look up.

Entelechy on March 27, 2008 at 11:40 PM

It’s really just too funny to see Gore speak on this issue without squirming or even recognize the irony. Oh my, there really is a God!

Tipper! Oh Tipper! Can you come and get your drooling shell of a husband. He’s bothering the grown ups again!

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Gartrip on March 27, 2008 at 11:43 PM

I don’t believe I made a mistake in identifying Charles Darwin. This is the author of The Origin of Species. Something not believable.

cjs1943 on March 27, 2008 at 11:48 PM

Sanctimoniuos gasbag. If he hadn’t invented the Internet, I wouldn’t believe a word he’s saying.

realitycheck on March 27, 2008 at 11:48 PM

How about not unlike Charles Darwin? Believing in something that isn’t true.

cjs1943 on March 27, 2008 at 11:18 PM

Faith means not wanting to know what is true.
— Friedrich Nietzsche

MB4 on March 27, 2008 at 11:49 PM

You have some “funny facts” and you don’t believe in global warming. Same is true for Darwin.

cjs1943 on March 27, 2008 at 11:54 PM

…It’s the SCIENCE, STUPID.

ChipDWood on March 27, 2008 at 11:55 PM

Your missplelling has inspired me!

TexasJew on March 27, 2008 at 11:24 PM

I don’t give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way. Shows lack of imagination!
- Mark Twain

MB4 on March 27, 2008 at 11:57 PM

cjs1943 on March 27, 2008 at 11:54 PM

Al Gore and Charles Darwin could hardly be more different.

MB4 on March 27, 2008 at 11:59 PM

I thought science is observing something that is real and measurable. Calling someone names doesn’t cut it.

cjs1943 on March 28, 2008 at 12:00 AM

Wow, we’re in the “tiny, tiny minority…” according to Gore. That’s kind of funny actually! I think he’s in the tiniest minority of all though, (shhhh, don’t tell him!) it’s inside his head! His head’s pretty big, but still, he’s the only one in it, so, well you understand, I hope. Boy I must be tired tonight.

4shoes on March 28, 2008 at 12:02 AM

Wow, MB4, you and Darwin are equals. Congratulations!

Entelechy on March 28, 2008 at 12:04 AM

Wow, MB4, you and Darwin are equals. Congratulations!

Entelechy on March 28, 2008 at 12:04 AM

I’m better looking though.

MB4 on March 28, 2008 at 12:11 AM

I’m better looking though.

MB4 on March 28, 2008 at 12:11 AM

Is that based on evolution or creation?

Entelechy on March 28, 2008 at 12:12 AM

MB4 on March 27, 2008 at 11:49 PM

You have got to have faith to believe in the dire predictions that Gore made in his movie.

Johan Klaus on March 28, 2008 at 12:13 AM

There are those who scoff at the school boy, calling him frivolous and shallow. Yet it was the schoolboy who said, “Faith is believing what you know ain’t so”.
- Mark Twain

MB4 on March 28, 2008 at 12:14 AM

Johan Klaus on March 28, 2008 at 12:13 AM

A lot of faith or a lot of drinking.

MB4 on March 28, 2008 at 12:15 AM

Is that based on evolution or creation?

Entelechy on March 28, 2008 at 12:12 AM

Creation.

Creation of a special mirror.

MB4 on March 28, 2008 at 12:18 AM

You mean the earth’s not flat? Ever been to Botswana and flown over the desert? Flat as Al Gore’s brain wave.

wepeople on March 28, 2008 at 12:19 AM

MB4 knows how to google famous quotes.

- David

DaveC on March 28, 2008 at 12:29 AM

Al Gore had the opportunity to debate the ‘uninformed Flat Earth’ crowd (which includes an amazing number of meteorlogist and solar scientists) at this conference, even pulling a normal $200K speaking fee to do so. Problem is, Al doesn’t do debates; he might have to actuall source his outlandish claims.

michaelo on March 28, 2008 at 12:40 AM

Let’s see, Gore has a PHD in……….

Johan Klaus on March 28, 2008 at 12:42 AM

Grrrr
Don’t get me started….

Kini on March 28, 2008 at 12:44 AM

but I do believe Gore invented the internet. I do, I do, I do believe.

jgapinoy on March 27, 2008 at 10:47 PM

Not sure I feel like defending Mr. Wood here, but that quote is taken WAY out of context. Gore was basically saying he was helping the internet reach its maturation … which is 100% true. More here: http://www.snopes.com/quotes/internet.asp

Also about global warming – umm … no one noticed the massive shelf break off?

A Axe on March 28, 2008 at 1:04 AM

Also about global warming – umm … no one noticed the massive shelf break off?

A Axe on March 28, 2008 at 1:04 AM

Yes, the Antarctic ice shelf has dramatically grown over the past several years, and ice shelfs have calved throughout earth history. The temperature in the central Antarctic, the world’s main ice body, has been dropping.
These Global Warming schmucks are money-grubbing liars and scum.

TexasJew on March 28, 2008 at 1:09 AM

Maybe Gore’s training in divinity school helped him with new religion.

Johan Klaus on March 28, 2008 at 1:28 AM

Well, it’s time for a Shiner Heffeweizen and off to bed.

Johan Klaus on March 28, 2008 at 1:34 AM

I’ve said my piece on that subject more than once

Which is that you have a principled position on the issue of global warming: “I hate Al Gore”. Don’t get me wrong though, it’s important to know that. As someone who cares more about practical implications than simply winning intellectual battles every time, I sure hope Gore never speaks on gravity.

freevillage on March 28, 2008 at 1:40 AM

Proposed tee shirt:

AL GORE: Warm monger.

Dr. Charles G. Waugh on March 28, 2008 at 2:24 AM

Hummm. Is Gore losing weight? Hummmmm……

msflea on March 28, 2008 at 2:38 AM

This is becoming like the OJ trial. There is a mountain of evidence that is now contrary to AGW. And it’s not now a handful of climate scientists that don’t support Al Gore, the numbers are now in the hundreds. So he has lost the scientific debate, but the consensus – which consensus in scientific speak was totally ludicrous. Leave it to Stahl to totally leave that it out in the interview. Way to go Leslie, you are so transparently dishonest.

Sergei on March 28, 2008 at 2:49 AM

Also about global warming – umm … no one noticed the massive shelf break off?

Glaciers break off shelves when they’re growing. When they’re melting, they don’t do anything exciting, they just get smaller. So every video you see of ice calving in a global warming promotion is pure hokum.

Wow, we’re in the “tiny, tiny minority…” according to Gore.

Science isn’t determined by a vote of the majority. A scientific theory is accepted when it can reliably predict future observations. So far, the global warming models have failed miserably.

Socratease on March 28, 2008 at 2:55 AM

That’s funny. I never knew that. Got a link? I’m not challenging you, I just would like to be able to quote this fact and have a source for it.

29Victor on March 28, 2008 at 3:00 AM

The man is totally off his rocker. Either that, or he’s one of the best con men ever. He’s made millions off of a bogus theory and hysteria. Maybe he’s a competent, off his rocker, con man.

This country was very close to having that lunatic as our President. Every time I see the guy, the first thing that pops into my mind is psycotherapy. He gives me the creeps.

orlandocajun on March 28, 2008 at 7:43 AM

All I know about Goracle I learned in his biography “Love story”.

“Global warming is never having to say you’re sorry”.

Hening on March 28, 2008 at 8:03 AM

To think, this man was a few votes away from becoming the most powerful man on earth. This seals the deal for me, I’m now ready to donate to the weather channel guy’s kitty jar if he’s still willing to sue this POS. Let’s put the Goracle on the witness stand and let him prove his theories in front of the world.

Just imagine what would have happened to the good ol’ USA under the rule of the Goracle… Wow. I’d have a government controlled thermostat, a carbon meter on my car; there would be a micro camera attached to my thermostat so that the Goracle could feed his friend BJ with an endless supply of private tapes. Big government would have had an endless supply of opportunities with such a creative man at the helm…

Keemo on March 28, 2008 at 8:19 AM

Self-avowed “P.R. agent for the planet” Al Gore

Thinks highly of himself.

For an asshelmet.

N. O'Brain on March 28, 2008 at 8:25 AM

The original flat Earther is in a lurch. No one believes his tripe. Bringing a bad name to con men everywhere.

tarpon on March 28, 2008 at 8:26 AM

Now Gore has said something which can be fought in the courts. Someone, or a group, should sue Gore for slander/libel.

davod on March 28, 2008 at 8:28 AM

Ps:

Imagine getting Gore into the deposition stage.

davod on March 28, 2008 at 8:29 AM

Sorry for the multiple posts but, if the interview is broadcast in England then they should sue in England. In England there is already a judgement against Gore.

davod on March 28, 2008 at 8:32 AM

Let’s be clear: the work of science has nothing whatever to do with consensus. Consensus is the business of politics. Science, on the contrary, requires only one investigator who happens to be right, which means that he or she has results that are verifiable by reference to the real world. In science consensus is irrelevant. What is relevant is reproducible results. The greatest scientists in history are great precisely because they broke with the consensus.

-Michael Crichton

N. O'Brain on March 28, 2008 at 8:39 AM

I’ve quoted it before, and I’ll quote it again.

“I feel kinda bad for him. I don’t think he has any friends.”

ZK on March 28, 2008 at 9:01 AM

Love the screen cap of the wombat.

Zorro on March 28, 2008 at 9:02 AM

It’s hard to believe that some Democrats are actually proposing giving Gore the nomination in a brokered convention. What are they thinking???

As a scientist, I find the current trend in the scientific community toward consensus-mongering to be disturbing. I would rather believe in a flat Earth model.

NuclearPhysicist on March 28, 2008 at 9:03 AM

NuclearPhysicist on March 28, 2008 at 9:03 AM

Well, he could run on having the most energy efficient Presidential campaign ever…it required no expenditures whatsoever.

James on March 28, 2008 at 9:09 AM

And, to think 148,000,000 people actually voted for this idiot.

What’s that tell ya’?

franksalterego on March 28, 2008 at 9:11 AM

AlGore has done more harm to this country in not being elected President than anyone in history. Ignorance can be cured but stupid is forever.

roux on March 28, 2008 at 9:18 AM

29Victor on March 28, 2008 at 3:00 AM

Vic

Take a look here http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/antarctic_020822.html Even the liberal rag of the NYTimes
“Scientists who study the warming seas and complicated climate and ice trends around Antarctica got a big jolt in recent days as yet another great fringing, floating ice shelf jutting from the Antarctic Peninsula began to disintegrate.
The Wilkins Ice Shelf appears to be following a pattern seen in other parts of the peninsula, which has warmed markedly in recent decades and shed other fringing ice shelves. In each case, the removal of ice around the periphery seems to allow inland ice to move more readily toward the sea. While the floating shelves don’t raise the sea level, the interior ice can, in the long run.
Still, the frozen continent, being a continent, is exhibiting a broad array of climate conditions, with some parts cooling and adding ice through accumulated snowfall, and others, like the West Antarctic Ice Sheet, potentially poised to lose large amounts of ice to the sea in coming decades. In the meantime, the thin floating veneer of sea ice that forms each austral winter and fades in summer has been larger than usual lately, in contrast to the sharp summer sea-ice retreats in the Arctic.

Simply put, the earth is changing…AGAIN. We have had ice ages and warming trends in the past but unlike then, we have technology which can help mediate the effects on man.

Many people refer to the fact that China, India, Pakistan, even parts of the US are experiencing drought…anyone remember the period of US history known as the dust bowl? Or the fact that there is a limited supply of natural resources in any given area and perhaps China, India, and Pakistan have populations which simply have overburdened those resources?…No, wait, I’m channelling Al…my bad…it’s ALL global warming.

PatriotPete on March 28, 2008 at 9:21 AM

A Axe on March 28, 2008 at 1:04 AM

I think most people understand what he was trying to say, but the fact remains (and even snopes agrees) that Gore said he created the internet.

Politicians are routinely mocked for saying something incorrectly. I don’t see why Gore should be treated differently here.

Esthier on March 28, 2008 at 10:15 AM

That’s a bad analogy but that’s to be expected from Al Gore. The flat earthers wanted anyone who questioned them to be tried for heresy and put to death. The anti-man made global warmers want more open debate about the shoddy science. The global warmers want to stifle debate because they don’t have the facts on their side. Therefore the real modern day flat earthers are the global warmers like Al Gore.

TooTall on March 28, 2008 at 10:29 AM

Being a reader of Neal Boortz’ website on a daily basis, Neal has pretty much at least one more bit of evidence that global warming is hooey almost everyday. This is a power play to give government more control, and from a global angle to destroy capitalism. This lying sack has made quite the name for himself, after being the sorest loser of all time. I laugh when they say he’ll broker the Dem convention. This twit was a nobody for eight years, and now he’s the “Golden Calf” of the moonbats. Just go look for ManBearPig,Idiot. My two cents…………….

adamsmith on March 28, 2008 at 10:30 AM

Not everyone who supports AGW thinks that Gore is helping. Frankly I’d prefer people who make incautious statements (like, say, Steve Schneider) stay as far from my research programme as possible.

DrSteve on March 28, 2008 at 10:43 AM

And it’s snowing again, up here at the arctic circle. Four more inches so far in a record breaking year.

dogsoldier on March 28, 2008 at 11:30 AM

The movie shows glaciers calving into the water as Gore discusses the effects of warming on the glaciers. But don’t glaciers always calve into the water when they end there?

WALT: Yes, glaciers and ice streams that terminate over water are called tidewater glaciers. They are always calving ice into water; these chunks are one source of icebergs. If things are in equilibrium, there is no loss of ice because what is calved off is replaced by snowfall further up the glacier.

This is from a supporter of man-made global warming theories.

It’s logical that a growing glacier has to calve. Otherwise it would just extend out into the ocean as it grows. When I looked around, I saw lots of theories tying calving to warming, but if you read carefully they all were built on top of assumptions that weren’t proven.

Global temperatures have stopped rising in the last decade, contrary to the models. Ocean temperatures haven’t risen, contrary to the models. Atmospheric water vapor hasn’t risen, contrary to the models. The models haven’t been able to explain past temperature observations, much less 100 years into the future. Yes, there’s some warming going on, but the models can’t tell us why yet. Al Gore sure can’t, but he sure can make money off of his movie, lectures, and carbon credit trades.

Socratease on March 28, 2008 at 11:33 AM

PatriotPete on March 28, 2008 at 9:21 AM

Thanks.

29Victor on March 28, 2008 at 12:22 PM

Is Gore really that crazy to believe anyone who doesn’t hold his fanatical, religious view is an idiot or a simpleton in his eyes? If so, thank God he never became President because would probably be having “Spanish Inquisitions” for people that didn’t share his cult-like views. Maybe some town floggings for those who don’t worship at the altar of the idol of “global warming” himself, Al Gore.

That might be a little demeaning(as Al put it) to Gore and his merry band of “Chick Little” followers, but what is good for the goose is good for the gander….;-)

Planet Boulder on March 28, 2008 at 2:06 PM

That write-up on the CBS site was a joke. He’s the “P.R. agent for the planet”? Come on. He’s the P.R. agent for his Venture Capital firm that’s positioned to profit on government subsidies for alternative energy. If we’re not supposed to listen to Exxon because they have a vested interest, then why do we listen to Gore? And it cited that he gives money to his own charity, like that makes him a nice guy? It’s his charity. Isn’t that pretty much a tax shelter.

People told me I had to watch his movie. I said I refused to give my money to Gore for his propaganda. So a friend actually paid me to watch the flick. It was exactly what I expected… a bunch of images of ice bergs melting with no evidence to demonstrate how mankind is responsible. When it came to that point all he did is show a graph of CO2 and temps moving up in tandem and say the “relationship is very complicated.” What he left out… temps go up first, then CO2 rises because the oceans released more CO2 when it’s warmer. That’s why they move in tandem. I guess he left that fact out because it was inconvenient.

Spolitics on March 28, 2008 at 2:16 PM

Gore is using the usual defense for the indefensible (baffle them with BS). There is a lot of good science being published lately demonstrating that MMGW is a total myth. There has never been any “good” science supporting the idea. The whole thing is obviously over but so many people have bought into it that it will probably take several years for reality to set in. Thank god for Florida. Otherwise this idiot might still be president.

duff65 on March 28, 2008 at 2:36 PM

With all the mentions of “flat earth” in this thread, I’d like to point out that even Wikipedia describe this as the Myth of the Flat Earth… and that anti-religious academics “misrepresented” (lied) about the church fathers beliefs in order to discredit Christianity.

dominigan on March 28, 2008 at 2:56 PM

Gore is the epitimy of arrogance and ignorance. He can’t show scientifically that man is contributing to Global Warming so he goes into “Flat Earth” analogies. He was worth
a little over a million 7 1/2 years ago and now he is worth over $120 Mil. PT Barnum is alive and well..”sucker born every day and two to take him” Hundreds of scientists say he is wrong and thats just the ones that admit it publically. When is 60 minutes confront him with science, not emotion.

whsiii on March 28, 2008 at 3:19 PM

Esthier on March 28, 2008 at 10:15 AM

Because we aren’t politicians.

The quote usually associated with him is ‘invented’ – which he most definitely did not say.

Vint Cerf went so far as to say that Gore had a huge part in the internet becoming what it has become.

There is the obvious lie (Hillary and head-ducking running), and the slightly skewed boast.

I’ve exaggerated many a times about little things and big things – often times in the heat of the moment I go a little bit overboard. We are humans, regardless of what you think of Gore, Bush, or anyone in between. If we cannot even allow fellow humans the slightest little boast … then we are truly lost.

A Axe on March 28, 2008 at 3:34 PM