McCain, Romney: Pals again

posted at 8:10 pm on March 27, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

Liz Sidoti almost sounds disappointed to find Mitt Romney and John McCain enjoying each other’s company. Romney joined McCain on the campaign trail today as the Republican nominee did fundraising appearances in Salt Lake City. And later, on a flight to Denver, she even reports that they managed not to bite each other rather than the turkey dinners:

In a show of Republican unity, one-time bitter foes John McCain and Mitt Romney raised money and campaigned together Thursday for a single goal — getting McCain elected president.

“We are united. Now our job is to energize our party,” the Arizona senator said in an airport hangar, flanked by Romney and Utah Gov. Jon Huntsman Jr., an early McCain supporter. Both have been mentioned as potential vice presidential picks, and McCain praised each.

Romney lauded McCain and promised to do all he can to help, saying: “He is a man who is proven and tested” and without question the right man to be president. …

On the flight, there seemed to be little residual acrimony between the former rivals.

They sat next to each other and ate turkey sandwiches. They laughed and talked during the hourlong flight, and were complimentary of each other when talking to reporters traveling with McCain.

I’m not sure what Sidoti would have expected. Fisticuffs in flight? McCain wants to raise money, and Romney wants to be a player in the party. Now that they aren’t competing for the same prize, neither has any reason to hold onto any grudges.

This will fuel more speculation that Romney will join McCain as VP. It would not be a bad move for either man, although Sidoti speculates that Romney wants to try another run in 2012 and that might keep him from joining the ticket. It seems more likely that Romney would want to be on a national ticket as VP in order to establish his bona fides for the next run, if McCain feels comfortable with him — and now that they can share a laugh over a meal.

Comments

Yes,yes,yes Romney for VP baby,
and this means ring the cowbell!

canopfor on March 27, 2008 at 8:14 PM

“We are united. Now our job is to energize our party,”

You want to energize the party? Fire Juan Hernandez. Pledge to build the fence. Stand up for Freedom of Speech.

Zorro on March 27, 2008 at 8:15 PM

Better Mitt than Lindsey.

omnipotent on March 27, 2008 at 8:16 PM

They sat next to each other and ate turkey sandwiches.

Thank god allah it wasn’t ham. Wouldn’t want CAIR to get outraged.

SouthernGent on March 27, 2008 at 8:17 PM

I’m actually a bit disappointed to see Romney associating with that jerk after how McCain acted during the primary. But, like every other GOP cr*pweasel, they all want a seat at the power trough. Remember he’s a vet, Mitt. Lick those boots nice and clean, and maybe you’ll get to be vp.

austinnelly on March 27, 2008 at 8:17 PM

I wanted Romney over McCain, but he wouldn’t excite me on Juan’s ticket.

Jindaaaaaaaal!

MT on March 27, 2008 at 8:19 PM

Zorro on March 27, 2008 at 8:15 PM

Ditto to that.

Where is Huck? The little town of Seething in the state of Envy.

silverfox on March 27, 2008 at 8:19 PM

McCain, Romney: Pals again

Just like how Hillary and Hussein will be after all is said and done.

This is U.S. politics in its finest worst moment.

It’s all about P O W E R and how to get it, no matter what the cost.

Politics is dirty. It degrades human beings to the worst they can be, just one level above mass-murderers.

Indy Conservative on March 27, 2008 at 8:25 PM

Sigh. I have gotten over how it all played out, but I sure am wistful for what could have been.

sheesh on March 27, 2008 at 8:27 PM

“We are united.”

Unlike the Donks! heheheheeeeee

Ok, so we’re stuck with McCain for ’08, let’s pray he picks Mitt for VP and then doesn’t run for re-election on 2012! Mitt ’12!

Tony737 on March 27, 2008 at 8:28 PM

McCain wants to raise money, and Romney wants to be a player in the party.

And that’s it. I really don’t want to see Mitt as veep, but I’d accept it. I think McCain might have a cabinet position for him…that would be more likely.

JetBoy on March 27, 2008 at 8:30 PM

Hey where’s the new audio of Obama talking about, “some Jews are just as moral as me” from today? It’s on the Boston radio now. Anybody know?

TheBigOldDog on March 27, 2008 at 8:30 PM

Somewhere Huckabee is at the prom,on the dance floor
impatiently starring at his watch,and no ones there!

canopfor on March 27, 2008 at 8:32 PM

Mitt may be showing the love for McCain, but the folks at Free Republic aren’t after his foreign policy speech in Los Angeles the other day.

Free Republic Opinion Poll: (3/27) McCain’s foreign policy speech makes me more inclined to:

Composite Opinion (so far)
Throw up 53.2%
Vote FOR him 20.5%
Vote AGAINST him 13.2%
Stay home 6.6%
Pass 6.5%

There is a quick snapshot of the true Reagan conservative voters in this country.

And Tony737′s comment just above highlights the only possible way that I’ll ever vote for John McCain this fall. McCain has to pick a VP candidate like Romney then make an ironclad guarantee that he will only be a one term president. Otherwise I will be staying with the ‘Constitution Party‘ as will a number of like minded Reagan conservatives that I know.

olympian2008 on March 27, 2008 at 8:36 PM

I don’t care who the VP is.

As A Former Rudy supporter.

Go McCain!

Chakra Hammer on March 27, 2008 at 8:36 PM

As much fun as the VP guessing game is, McCain would be a fool to pick a veep before the Dhimmicrat convention.

Until then, he can flirt with every segment of the party.

NeighborhoodCatLady on March 27, 2008 at 8:41 PM

True, but I doubt Obama and Hillary will come together and be buddy-buddy.

Hasn’t McCain alluded that he’d only serve one term?

—-

Romney can add something to the ticket that McCain desperately needs: Economic experience.

amerpundit on March 27, 2008 at 8:57 PM

Zorro on March 27, 2008 at 8:15 PM

Right on. (Since we’re going to recreate ’68, you know!;-))

INC on March 27, 2008 at 9:00 PM

JetBoy on March 27, 2008 at 8:30 PM

Id love to see him at Treasury or Commerce.

He gives me a Hamiltonian vibe.

Squid Shark on March 27, 2008 at 9:04 PM

amerpundit on March 27, 2008 at 8:57 PM

You mean because he is running against that great economic expert…Obama?
Mitt has less experience in government economics then McCain. He may know something about business, but when was the last great businessman a President. Was it Perot? Was it Forbes? Was it Rockefeller? Please, don’t embarrass yourself and say Bush…Carter was a better businessman then Bush.
No, select Romney to balance the ticket to the right a little…for as long as Mitt says he is conservative. And besides, it would stop some of the Mitt-wits from there whining.

right2bright on March 27, 2008 at 9:05 PM

olympian2008 on March 27, 2008 at 8:36 PM

If Freepers are Reagan Conservatives, I think Reagan would barf.

I listen to Levin rip McCain’s speech last night, like most of Levins rants, it sounded like uninformed, crypto-isolationist tripe.

Squid Shark on March 27, 2008 at 9:06 PM

imo, the McCain VP nominee will be the front runner for the 2012 nomination starting January 21, 2009 regardless of whether Mav wins or loses.

A would-be contender for ’12 could hardly do better to set themselves up than get named to Mav’s ticket this year, right?

what am i missing here??

Mike D. on March 27, 2008 at 9:10 PM

“I don’t care who the VP is.

As A Former Rudy supporter.

Go McCain!

Chakra Hammer on March 27, 2008 at 8:36 PM”

Bravo.

LtE126 on March 27, 2008 at 9:12 PM

Id love to see him at Treasury or Commerce.

He gives me a Hamiltonian vibe.

Squid Shark on March 27, 2008 at 9:04 PM

Commerce would be perfect for Romney. Again, I really never liked Mitt…but for sure he’s eye-balling a 2012 run, especially if Mac serves only one term, as he’s kinda alluded to. Veep would set him up for that best, but given the animosity between Mac and Mitt as the debates went on, a Mitt veep pick would only give the Dems fodder.

Eh, it’s really early yet. The Dems don’t even have a presumptive nominee. Conventions aren’t until Summer. We got a long ways to go.

So far, Mitt’s just pitching in. Now, if the rest of my conservative Republican brethren would get behind McCain (and you know who you are :-)) the GOP would have no problem retaining the White House.

JetBoy on March 27, 2008 at 9:15 PM

JetBoy on March 27, 2008 at 9:15 PM

Eh they got a few more months to cry in their beer. I know I did in 2000. I got around to playing nice with Bush’s people by the convention.

Squid Shark on March 27, 2008 at 9:22 PM

I miss Mitt!! I haven’t been able to throw away the “Vote for Romney” sign on the back shelf of my car. Maybe it will come into vogue again?

jeanie on March 27, 2008 at 9:22 PM

jeanie on March 27, 2008 at 9:22 PM

I had my crappy “McCain 2000″ sticker on the back of my car until I sold it in 2006.

Squid Shark on March 27, 2008 at 9:24 PM

amerpundit on March 27, 2008 at 8:57 PM

So could Rudy, with Real Experience and accomplishments. ;)

Chakra Hammer on March 27, 2008 at 9:39 PM

I think we are giving tips to Clinton and Obama. Showing a united front. But it’s probably moot point now, by the time the democratic primary is over there will be no “dream ticket”.

Hog Wild on March 27, 2008 at 9:40 PM

Freepers are keepers of the Reagan revolution???

please

dude…the “fodder” that exists between Mac and Mitt is like wheatgrass to redwoods in regards to the animosity between Hill and Obama camps

windansea on March 27, 2008 at 9:46 PM

windansea on March 27, 2008 at 9:46 PM

I dunno about that…the day before Florida, Mitt had this to say about McCain:

“I would note that Senator McCain is noted for three major pieces of legislation. I think all of them were badly flawed. And if somebody wants to know where he would lead the country you simply need to look at the three pieces of legislation with his name at the top. McCain-Feingold has not reduced the impact of money in politics, it has made it worse. McCain-Kennedy is viewed by virtually all as an amnesty bill. And McCain-Lieberman would cost the families of America as much as $1,000 a piece. All three are bills which evidence a lack of understanding of our economy, the very lack of understanding which Senator McCain has admitted on numerous occasions.”

And McCain countered with:

“Mitt Romney’s campaign is based on the wholesale deception of voters. On every one of the issues he has attacked John McCain on, Romney was for it before he was against it.

“He was for campaign finance reform, and even proposed taxing political contributions.

“He was for cap and trade, and even supported a tax that increased the price of gasoline at the pump.

“He called our immigration bill ‘reasonable’ and ‘not amnesty.’

“The truth is, Mitt Romney was a liberal governor of Massachusetts who raised taxes, imposed with Ted Kennedy a big government mandate health care plan that is now a quarter of a billion dollars in the red, and managed his state’s economy incompetently, leaving Massachusetts with less job growth than 47 other states.”

Doesn’t sound like much of a “love affair” going there…

JetBoy on March 27, 2008 at 9:52 PM

the constitution party seems pretty creepy.

Seems they’re against gambling, against the patriot act, and for isolationist foreign policy.

jayj on March 27, 2008 at 9:57 PM

You have to think like them. McGramnesty needs someone hard right for VP, he already has the middle and the indepedents. So all he needs is the far right. I loved Mitt for Pres. However, McGramnesty will throw Mitt out with the bath water right after the fund raisers. Sorry. No one is further on the right than Condi Rice and we all know she can bring in those women votes and or the black vote, depends on which ones will be looking to turncoat out of the Dim party when their candidate is booted out.

Legions on March 27, 2008 at 9:59 PM

Mitt has less experience in government economics then McCain

That’s an oxymoron.

Carter was a better businessman then Bush.

you are an oxymoron.

carter was always a loser. His brother Billy should have been president. he’s the one that kept the family business running and supported his loser politician brother.

peacenprosperity on March 27, 2008 at 10:11 PM

Doesn’t sound like much of a “love affair” going there…

It’s politics, boy. Don’t you remember “voodoo economics”?

peacenprosperity on March 27, 2008 at 10:13 PM

Let the Dems fight it out at their convention….. it will be interesting to see.

But what Conservatives should prepare and plan for, is Operation Chaos II for the Republican Convention.

The target……….. SEALING THE GOD FORSAKEN BORDERS!!!!!

Seven Percent Solution on March 27, 2008 at 10:13 PM

Unless the Economy appears to be better, to the point it’s not a front page story for the Left, I think he HAS to pick Romney.

AYNBLAND on March 27, 2008 at 10:21 PM

The only way Mitt is ever going to be president if he is McCain’s VP. Otherwise he does not have any shot at all at being president. In 4 years Sarah or Bobby will be running for president.

BroncosRock on March 27, 2008 at 10:23 PM

I think he’s with Mitt for his fund raising only. Do you really think that mccain wants to stand along side Mitt? The comparison is startling. Oh, yes, I’ll probably have to pull the lever for mccain – but I’ll be holding my nose and saying a silent prayer for our country. However, it would make it easier if Mitt shared the ticket.
Seal the $#@%$ borders!
Illegals never get citizenship until they go home and apply and wait behind all those who have applied legally!
I know – I did it.

Bambi on March 27, 2008 at 10:56 PM

amerpundit on March 27, 2008 at 8:57 PM

How about intelligence and class? I don’t believe Mitt told me or anyone else to “shut the f**k up” or called me a racist.

Mitt is not a bitter old man.

Mitt is a team player. You have to be a team player if you are going to rescue the 2002 Olympics or go into business and bring people and ideas together.

Being a governor gave him the executive expereince in government to work with state senators and representatives to get things done.

The guy brings more to the table than McCain does. McCain was/is a senator. The only thing he did was work on committees. Do you know how you get to be the head of a committee in government? Seniority, not demonstrated leadership.

If Mitt is on the ticket, then I’ll vote for him.

cjs1943 on March 27, 2008 at 11:00 PM

I would be so totally jazzed if Romney was asked to run for VP. For that very reason, I doubt seriously Mav will do it. He’s got a history of kicking conservatives in the jewels.

Sugar Land on March 27, 2008 at 11:07 PM

He gives me a Hamiltonian vibe.

Squid Shark on March 27, 2008 at 9:04 PM

I hope not. There’s a Burr in the Senate….

I’m ambivalent about Romney as VP. Won’t sway my vote either way; as little though I love McCain, he’s infinitely better than Hillary or Obama.

the only way I wouldn’t vote for McCain (leave that slot blank or pick a minor party candidate) is if he pegged Huckabee for the position.

sulla on March 27, 2008 at 11:46 PM

So much can happen between now and November, But If McCain chose Romney as his VP, a McCain presidency could very well be a lock.

ArtLindsey on March 27, 2008 at 11:56 PM

Somewhere Huckabee is at the prom,on the dance floor
impatiently starring at his watch,and no ones there!

canopfor on March 27, 2008 at 8:32 PM

One can only “hope.” hahahahaha

Branch Rickey on March 28, 2008 at 12:54 AM

I am born, bred and raised an Evangelical (albeit with a large degree of oat-sowing in my day), but I would not endorse the Constitution Party’s platform as I read it. Governance must be kept at a distance from doctrine, as even Christians have deep divisions in their ranks.

I believe in Christ’s principles and how they apply to our personal lives. These are not always translatable into governance… it easily morphs into socialism and pacifism. Christ never advocated Christian governance, and never rebelled against Caesar, arguably the most corrupt politician of his time.

leftnomore on March 28, 2008 at 1:05 AM

Romney=recent conservative convert.
That’s why he lost the primaries!
Not a good VP choice.

jgapinoy on March 28, 2008 at 1:11 AM

Slapstick Politics has exclusive video of the McCain/Romney press conference in Denver.

Exclusive in the sense that I was the only blogger invited to the press conference by the RNC’s eCampaign outreach. I even had to convince the hotel security I was a legitimate blogger, until the campaign staff waved me in.

I have my own views on McCain, mirroring concerns like Michelle’s about illegal immigration, but have put together a Colorado-oriented analysis of McCain vs. Obama or Clinton.

elpresidente on March 28, 2008 at 3:24 AM

Gov Romney, I beg you to position yourself as McCain’s VP.

PLEASE!?

winemkr on March 28, 2008 at 3:31 AM

Great! So now the pouting evangelicals can have another reason to blow off this election!!

A Mormon on the ticket….you’ll get the holier than thou Christian crowd boycotting the election for sure.

mylegsareswollen on March 28, 2008 at 4:14 AM

Romenee:”John, that was a real hatchet job you pulled on me in Florida when you insinuated that I had wanted timetables for and Iraq withdrawel”.

Maverick: “Yeah, I knew you were such a phony and a wimp that your overreaction would really be the fuel on the fire. You know, when someone gets real defensive as if they really did mean it.”

Rominey: “Gee that sure was a swell political maneuver Mav!” Maybe, you can teach me some more cutthroat politics out on the campaign trail when I’m hopefully your vp choice.”

Maverick
: Sorry Mitt, when you called me Liberal during the primary, then had that secret meeting at CPAC behind my back you sealed your fate. I’m afraid all I have for you is HUD Secretary.”

Romnie: HUD secretary? You mean I’ll have to care about poor people and inner city folks. Gross! C’mon John I had promised the boyz they would be able to ride on Air Force One and have a kegger at Camp David.”

Maverick: “Sorry Mitt, maybe this will teach you a valuable lesson about respecting us who have sacrificed and worked to get where we are. Ok, photo op is over get out of Lindsey’s seat, we have talk about how we’re gonna bring Putin to his knees, beat it!”

THE CHOSEN ONE on March 28, 2008 at 6:33 AM

I am sure John McCain likes Mitt a lot better now that he is not threatening to take away the nomination that is rightfully his as the “next in line.”

Have I mentioned today that I think the GOP suffers from terminal stupidity?

EJDolbow on March 28, 2008 at 9:08 AM

Have I mentioned today that I think the GOP suffers from terminal stupidity?

EJDolbow on March 28, 2008 at 9:08 AM

Stupidity is obvious by the people still supporting Mitt. As soon as the few GOP’rs get past that Mitt is a loser, then we can all move on to a better GOP.
We have a candidate, his name is McCain, and he won the nomination by having more support then anyone else…Huck and Mitt and Fred, lost, they were weak. And if you think McCain is weak, then what does that make the men who lost to him? Answer: weaker…

right2bright on March 28, 2008 at 9:17 AM

Romney would be the best choice McCain could make for Veep. He brings all the things McCain lacks to the ticket and should be a plus nationwide. This would also set up a easy transition to President Romney in 2012 and give people four years to quit worrying about him being a Mormon.

duff65 on March 28, 2008 at 9:17 AM

We have a candidate, his name is McCain
right2bright on March 28, 2008 at 9:17 AM

Thanks to independents, Democrats and religious bigots.

As I said, Terminally Stupid.

EJDolbow on March 28, 2008 at 9:43 AM

EJDolbow on March 28, 2008 at 9:43 AM

To win the general we are going to have to win independents and some disgruntled dems. Mav’s the perfect choice. Romnee could never bring that together no matter how much loot he spent. The only terminally stupid idea is the one of Romney being our nominee. That is unless your conservative principles include losing elections.

THE CHOSEN ONE on March 28, 2008 at 9:52 AM

This ticket gets my vote. Only other choice is the “empty suit” and the “empty pant suit”. Thank God no Dem in the White House for at least four, and possibly 12 years. Gives Howard Dean lots more time to be Moonbat-in-Chief…My two cents………

adamsmith on March 28, 2008 at 10:34 AM

If Romney is McShame’s VP….I will vote for the Hildebeast.

SaintOlaf on March 28, 2008 at 2:46 PM