Gallup: 73% support individual right to own gun under Second Amendment

posted at 10:10 am on March 27, 2008 by Allahpundit

Good news but not great news, for reasons you’ll shortly see. Which way’s the trend moving? Gallup doesn’t offer historical data to compare and it’s hard to tell from other pollsters, whose surveys on this issue tend to stick to questions about whether gun laws should be made stricter or not. CNN did poll the “individual right vs. militia right” question a few months ago, though, and found 65 percent support at the time, 72 percent among men and 58 percent among women. The margin of error there, as in the Gallup poll, was three percent, so there may well be a trend in the right direction here spurred by worries that the Court’s going to grab America’s guns this summer.

The question is, how broad should that individual right be? Gallup:

strict.jpg

The trend’s moving in the right direction there too, but there’s a long way to go to close that gap, which shows you how soft the support for the right is. Other pollsters show an even wider disparity. Pew polled the issue after the VTech shooting last year. Pretty stable:

pew.jpg

ABC polled it too around the same time and found support for stricter gun laws at 61/36, four points higher than it was in May 2002. What does that mean in practical effect?

semi.jpg

The upshot? You’re entitled to a revolver, although probably just one and preferably a small one. Happy shooting!

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

That new .327 has an adjustable back sight and an extra round (6 shot). Plus, from the articles I’ve read, it has nearly as much knock down as the .357 with less kick.

The .357 does kick like a mule. More than a few rounds and my knuckles start to throb. You gotta love it, though. It’s built like a tank.

RedWinged Blackbird on March 27, 2008 at 11:34 AM

I hear you. If all else fails and I run out of ammo I’ll use it to beat someone to death. It’s a very well built gun.

What I’ve found fun to do at the range is start out with .357 until I can barely stand it, then switch over to .38. It’s like shooting a .22 from that point on.

BowHuntingTexas on March 27, 2008 at 11:45 AM

Glocks? Don’t make me laugh…KB, lol.

pseudonominus on March 27, 2008 at 11:44 AM

Ok last Glock post for me then I will stop ;)

Over 5000 rounds thru mine never a jam, KB, misfire, etc.

Course I don’t reload so that probally helps.

F15Mech on March 27, 2008 at 11:46 AM

MadisonConservative: “For how many years were Dan Rather, Peter Jennings, and Tom Brokaw referring to pistols and semi-auto rifles as “automatic weapons”? Americans have been inundated with that ignorance.”

Absolutely. I clearly remember a Dan Rather piece against assault weapons which cited the Colin Ferguson train shooting in 1993 in which no assault weapon was used, but rather a 9mm semi-automatic pistol.

I also recall many news reports decrying assault weapons in the case of a madman gunning down lawyers in a San Francisco law firm in 1993, who also used semi-automatic pistols.

I read a piece once by a newspaperman who casually polled his coworkers as to how many had fired a gun. None had. None! That tells me that none of them had ever served in the military.

What it boils down to is that the journalists railing against guns know very little about them, can’t tell one from another. You can trip them up by simply asking them what as assault weapon is. They don’t know.

Tantor on March 27, 2008 at 11:46 AM

aengus on March 27, 2008 at 11:24 AM

Fella, your history has some serious holes. Maybe you suffer from having been ‘educated’ about the ‘civil war’ (it was no such thing) in a US government school.

Where was Sumter? Hmmm? Would that be South Carolina CSA? Fancy that! The newly seceded territory of CSA defending itself! Whatever next? The dastardly southern mutineers!

Lincoln raised his army and sent them into CSA territory. The CSA did not invade the USA.

Lincoln. Tyrant.

Now – back to guns’n'stuff…

LimeyGeek on March 27, 2008 at 12:05 PM

the case of a madman gunning down lawyers in a San Francisco law firm in 1993

That was no madman ;)

LimeyGeek on March 27, 2008 at 12:06 PM

My love affair began in Croatia

Weight of Glory on March 27, 2008 at 12:08 PM

You think dealing with 10 million illegals would be a nightmare?

2oo+ million guns in the hands of 60+ million gun owners.

Try that on for size, g-man.

Bishop on March 27, 2008 at 12:27 PM

Don’t all lawyer jokes start out like this?

A: A good start.

fossten on March 27, 2008 at 12:30 PM

All guns can go KB!. The reason why Glock seems to have more is it own the handgun market. Pecentage wise it probably lower then the national avg.

jdun on March 27, 2008 at 12:47 PM

Pecentage wise it probably lower then the national avg.

Regardless, modern firearms are phenomenally well-engineered, with safety records that other industries can only envy.

Guns are very safe, reliable and durable.

My latest ‘scare’ came about from reports that if you rechamber a round it can knock the slug deeper into the case, potentially causing pressure problems. I’ve had rounds compressed like this, so I just burned them up on a pot-shot at something fun to shoot. Never a KB

LimeyGeek on March 27, 2008 at 12:52 PM

No gun has ever killed or harmed anyone.

Want proof?

Place an unloaded weapon of your choice on a table.

Place an unloaded magazine next to it.

Place a box of ammunition next to that.

Place a clear plastic case over the table.

The clock will start and only stop when “the gun” causes violence against another.

Ready?

Go……….

(tick….. tick….. tick…..)

Seven Percent Solution on March 27, 2008 at 12:53 PM

Seven Percent Solution on March 27, 2008 at 12:53 PM

Throw in a bottle of hard liquor too – I hear guns’n'alcohol don’t mix.

LimeyGeek on March 27, 2008 at 1:07 PM

Trends come and go. The Second Amendment will remain forever.

Zorro on March 27, 2008 at 1:29 PM

Come and take it!

Johan Klaus on March 27, 2008 at 1:33 PM

molon labe

LimeyGeek on March 27, 2008 at 1:35 PM

Never said that they weren’t safe. Just pointing out that all firearms can go KB!. They are after all simple machine.

jdun on March 27, 2008 at 1:44 PM

jdun on March 27, 2008 at 1:44 PM

You’re quite right. I was just adding a little perspective, that’s all :)

LimeyGeek on March 27, 2008 at 1:49 PM

MadisonConservative on March 27, 2008 at 11:35 AM

Hmmm, I see your point about WI. That’s why I think you should buy this: Cold Steel Secure:Ex. It’s a single-sided blade that’s 1 1/2 inches long. It’s got a plastic cover with a jump ring for your key chain. And it’s got a small, two-finger, rubber handle…it’s specially-designed for self-defense.

I know you’re concerned about safety, but looking into taking martial arts or talking to military (who can advise on self-defense techniques) may be a start?

As a woman, I’m going to the range, taking my conceal (I know you can’t do – that sucks), and I’m looking into taking a self-defense class, boxing, kendo (actual fighting with bamboo sword), and iaido (art of drawing samurai sword). There are tons of things you can do to be proactive.

Miss_Anthrope on March 27, 2008 at 2:07 PM

Here in KS, House Bill 2811 should prevent situations like New Orleans from happening here. A little late for Greensburg, but better late than never.

I’ll be getting my CCH next month as KS also approved that as well (against the guv’s wishes).

Turd catapult? Dang, I missed that table at the last gun show..

Boot Hill on March 27, 2008 at 2:08 PM

It might be especially good to ask the gun owners their preference.

Kralizec on March 27, 2008 at 2:20 PM

Speaking of my favorite toys…. has anyone here had/fired one of the new Ruger MK3 22/45s? I’d like to get a .22 auto to play with, 25 cents a shot with the Commander gets really expensive after a while.

JamesLee on March 27, 2008 at 2:23 PM

I wonder if the geniuses answering the poll considered that a “nationwide” ban on semi-automatic handguns would leave them in the hands of three groups: (1) whoever has effective control of military forces, (2) whoever has effective control of police forces, and (3) whoever chooses to break the law and gets away with it.

Kralizec on March 27, 2008 at 2:28 PM

JamesLee on March 27, 2008 at 2:23 PM

I have a Mark 3 .22, 4-in pencil barrel.

I LOVE IT!!!

Whacha want to know?

Miss_Anthrope on March 27, 2008 at 2:39 PM

Was just wondering how you liked it, and I guess you do LOL

Maybe with a .22, I can convince the wife, not a gun person, to come out with me more to the range.

JamesLee on March 27, 2008 at 2:54 PM

Miss_Anthrope on March 27, 2008 at 2:07 PM

Heh, the knife I may or may not carry actually is a Cold Steel. Voyager series I think, tanto blade. Strong little sucker. However, if I were to be carrying it, and the situation came along, I’ve got a good bet that were I to come out all right, the cops wouldn’t be too bad. When my friend had his run-in, they just asked to see the blade, and gave it right back to him. Besides which, if I were carrying it, I’d probably build up a certain sense of security which no law would make me give it up for.

I actually took Kyuki-Do as a child, and have always meant to get back into it. I’ll start putting a little more conviction into that. I appreciate the suggestions, and they sound very like what my friend has been ragging on me about for years. Thankfully, for all the anti-gun sentiment Madison has, the violent crime is surprisingly low, and mostly confined to “those areas” of town, which I happily live a good distance from, as well as being close to a centerpoint for 7 police districts. So far I’m able to habitate in the least necessary environment to require defense, but it’s on my mind anyway. Here’s hoping we never have to be tested on our preparedness.

MadisonConservative on March 27, 2008 at 3:02 PM

Well, as a small-framed person, it’s great for me. We have so many higher-caliber weapons, and my conceal’s a .38 titanium snub (knuckle-buster!!!), that I desperately needed a target weapon.

Of course, the resemblance to the Lugar is pretty cool! That’s the pencil barrel, and why I special ordered. Only $350? Too easy a decision.

The ammo is cheap…I can buy 100 for $6, while the hubby buys 50 .38 for his .357 for $15+. Ha! Ruger’s aren’t S&W, but this is a well-made gun, and I love the look & balance. It just works for me.

Some details I can tell you:

There are 2 ways to close the slide – throw it back like McClane (sp?) or a button on the thumb-side of the handle.

A clip has to be in for the slide to remain open, and there’s another button on the thumb-side to release the empty clip. That can be confusing at first, but I can use this thing in my sleep now (but I shoot weekly).

I rarely have a jam…but there is a time or two when I don’t slam the clip hard enough (so it’s my fault). That’s when you have to pull the slide open to pop out the cartridge (it’s usually sliced at the tip), and try again. If she’s into feeling empowered, this won’t happen often. ;)

That’s all I can think of that you should probably need to know as far as any ‘quirks’ re: the gun.

Conclusion: Makes an EXCELLENT gun for the range!!!

Miss_Anthrope on March 27, 2008 at 3:22 PM

MadisonConservative on March 27, 2008 at 3:02 PM

Here’s to hoping, but after my brother was murdered in a ‘good part of town’, I’m not so hopeful anymore.

That’s my cynical side showing…sorry.

Miss_Anthrope on March 27, 2008 at 3:24 PM

Majority opinion should never count on this issue because it’s precisely because of majorities pushing people around that the need to keep and bear arms exists.

shirgall on March 27, 2008 at 3:29 PM

Conclusion: Makes an EXCELLENT gun for the range!!!

Miss_Anthrope on March 27, 2008 at 3:22 PM

Thank you much for the info, I always liked the Mk2, but never got one. Then I saw the Mk3 22/45 on Ruger’s website, saying it is intentionally made with the same angle/grip etc of the 1911a1. Think I’ll definitly take a closer look at one.

Boy if anyone ever told me I would wind up marrying a woman who didn’t like guns…. Well, she’s not ANTI-gun, but just doesn’t like them personally. First time she ever shot was my Dad’s old Colt Huntsman, and says she had a good time. Didn’t take kindly to the kick my .380 Bryco had though (calls it a “drug-dealer” pistol, and honestly, it’s a Sat Nite Sp if I ever saw one. But it was cheap!) And won’t even pick up the Colt Commander I recently got!

JamesLee on March 27, 2008 at 3:34 PM

Miss_Anthrope on March 27, 2008 at 3:24 PM

You have to live up to your username at least to SOME degree. ;)

MadisonConservative on March 27, 2008 at 3:38 PM

JamesLee on March 27, 2008 at 3:34 PM

Oh, too funny! Well, anyone can be reformed…I’m from TX & had a BB gun at 8yo, and my hubby’s from MA & didn’t shoot until after 9/11, when UBL prompted him to go .20 gauge.

Now, it’s totally different! He’s the ‘collector’ or ‘gun nut’ and I’m the ‘shooter’ (’cause I’m better @ the range but not into all the different guns – but I like the ones I shoot).

Of course, I also had to convert him from a Clinton-voter, too…so I had my work cut out for me! Now, he listens to Rush, Hannity, & Levin, owns guns, & drives a truck…I told him the only thing missing is Texas!

Miss_Anthrope on March 27, 2008 at 3:44 PM

MadisonConservative on March 27, 2008 at 3:38 PM

Dude, I haven’t even gotten started! I guess I’m feeling like I need to be a ‘softie’ today. *sniff*

Miss_Anthrope on March 27, 2008 at 3:47 PM

Miss_Anthrope on March 27, 2008 at 3:44 PM

where we’ll make our last stand !!!!….(?)
I hope it doesn’t come to that but I’M ready.

jerrytbg on March 27, 2008 at 3:50 PM

shirgall on March 27, 2008 at 3:29 PM

I guess you haven’t read the Constitution, have you? ‘Cause then you’d know, majority has nothin’ to do with it.

Miss_Anthrope on March 27, 2008 at 3:51 PM

jerrytbg on March 27, 2008 at 3:50 PM

You need me, I’m there! I’d have to fly, but as long as you (or someone) picks me up at the airport, I’m there!!!

Miss_Anthrope on March 27, 2008 at 3:52 PM

Miss_Anthrope on March 27, 2008 at 3:52 PM

kool….the way I see it, it won’t be long before shtf.
got to run now.
and yes AP, I read all the posts….just didn’t have the time to respond to some of them.
For everyone out there…just make sure what ever you own will work with just shaking the water off.

jerrytbg on March 27, 2008 at 4:01 PM

just make sure what ever you own will work with just shaking the water off.

We’re still talking guns, right?

LimeyGeek on March 27, 2008 at 4:50 PM