Soros-funded MN site keeps McCain teeth story on front page Update: Apology? Not quite

posted at 12:50 pm on March 26, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

Yesterday, we noted the journalistic morals of the George Soros-funded Minnesota Monitor, which ran a Molly Priesmeyer article on its front page that made fun of John McCain’s teeth. Priesmeyer didn’t bother to research why his teeth look like “a mess of yellowed and contorted Chiclets” — which was that his torturers in Vietnam smashed his teeth to the gumline.

Today, the MinnMon, which gets its funding from Center for Independent Media, continues to demonstrate the ethics of the Sorosphere. After acknowledging the fact that she didn’t bother to research her topic, Priesmeyer has yet to write a correction or apology — and the story remains on the front page. Priesmeyer left this as a comment to her own story:

I was not aware of the fact [of the torture]. I simply was linking to a post that revealed “his teeth” had become a topic of discussion on the blogosphere. Buzzfeed.com is an aggregator site that collects trends of the day.

Best,

Molly

Well, she wasn’t aware of it because she didn’t bother looking for an explanation. Further, she didn’t just link to the Buzzfeed article, she endorsed it, as this demonstrates:

While looks are an easy and lame target, it’s at least refreshing to see McCain’s teeth get a razzing (though, unfortunately, not a cleaning).

And, now that she’s been made aware of it, Molly hasn’t lifted a finger to correct the story — something even bloggers know how to do. The front page as of 12:30 PM ET today:

Journalistic malpractice

Classy as always. (via Mitch Berg)

Update: The MinnMon has finally removed the article from its front page, and two of its editors have apologized for the post.  Steve Perry added an update:

To answer the question from GOP blogger Michael Brodkorb that kicked off the controversy about this post yesterday: No, neither Molly Priesmeyer nor I was aware that McCain had had his teeth broken as a North Vietnamese prisoner of war. No, we would not have piled on with further aspersions on the appearance of his teeth if we had known.

The item was not intended to make a serious point of any sort, as we thought the headline suggested right off the bat (“The dental gap: Does McCain have presidential teeth?”). It was a bit of web ephemera that we found funny mainly for its absurdity–sort of like the videos we’ve posted from Obama Girl, the McCain Girls, and La Pequena, and items we’ve written about phenomena such as social media sites obsessed with Barack Obama. The POW backstory turns a joke noted in passing into a lousy joke. And we’re sorry for that.

We’re also sorry that this dust-up has inadvertently provided yet another sideshow in which genuinely important questions about the candidate and his campaign are circumvented. There’s far too much of that going around.

Two responses come immediately to mind:

1. Doesn’t Perry think that Priesmeyer should have checked it out by doing research before making fun of McCain’s teeth?  “We didn’t know” sounds pretty lame from an organization that considers itself a journalistic enterprise.
  2. How did a post on McCain’s teeth keep “genuinely important questions about the candidate” in the forefront?  Didn’t Priesmeyer do exactly what Perry blames on the “dust-up”, which is to focus on irrelevancies rather than issues?  Wasn’t the “dust-up” necessary to show how vacuous and dull-witted the MinnMon’s fascination with McCain’s teeth had been?  Perry says essentially that we shouldn’t have taken the story seriously, and our insistence on doing so distracts from serious matters.  Huh?

Inadvertently, the removal of the post deleted the long string of critical comments to the story, but another commenter reposted them from a cache.

Comments

The only way they would care about McCain’s torture is if it could be blamed on U.S. troops.

Exurban Jon on March 26, 2008 at 12:53 PM

Soros must be getting desperate if all he can go after McPain for is the general condition of his teeth.

pilamaye on March 26, 2008 at 12:55 PM

Pathetic, but we should be encouraging Soros to do stupid things like this with his money. Makes him look foolish for funding this nonsense.

Hey, George…have you ever looked at McCain’s choice of ties? Ghastly. Might want to get on that.

Slublog on March 26, 2008 at 12:57 PM

Hillarys teeth are pretty bad. Find the close up shot of her smiling and notice the icky black stuff around her teeth. Looks like black ring around the crown.

superfluousdude on March 26, 2008 at 12:58 PM

I think it’s time to start attacking Hillary’s ankles…

JetBoy on March 26, 2008 at 12:59 PM

I think George and his band of slimy slugs should join us in the sawdust pit. The rules are that the last one able to climb out wins.

rplat on March 26, 2008 at 1:01 PM

Let’s play count the wrinkles on Soros’ face. That should keep us all busy for a few days.

saved on March 26, 2008 at 1:02 PM

George Soros is living proof that you don’t have to be smart to have money.

TooTall on March 26, 2008 at 1:03 PM

I have yellow teeth. And a class 3 malocclusion. Perhaps it’s time for those with less than perfect teeth to band together behind McCain!

Unless Obama offers me free gov’t orthodontics. Then I’ll vote for him.

tlynch001 on March 26, 2008 at 1:04 PM

Creeps.

darkpixel on March 26, 2008 at 1:04 PM

Can these people get any lower?

They wish pain death and suffering on the likes of Tony Snow and Nancy Reagan and make fun of the teeth of a POW damaged by torture. Have these people no shame at all?

TheBigOldDog on March 26, 2008 at 1:05 PM

To the left Vietnam was illegal and immoral so McCain got what he deserved, just like today, Iraq and the military are illegal and immoral. The only fundamental change is the clock, the libotards are still using the same arguments, the same anti-American agenda, the same tactics. The only real difference is the blogosphere, far more people can find the truth and challange the crap peddled by the agenda driven media!

dmann on March 26, 2008 at 1:07 PM

Registrant:
Center for Independent Media
2153 California St NW
washington, District of Columbia 20008
United States

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.godaddy.com)
Domain Name: MINNESOTAMONITOR.COM

Savino, Alexandra alisavino@gmail.com
Center for Independent Media
2153 California St NW
washington, District of Columbia 20008
United States
6178725566

Domain servers in listed order:
NS07.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
NS08.DOMAINCONTROL.COM

JustTruth101 on March 26, 2008 at 1:08 PM

I just sent another $200 to the McCain campaign to help him fight this kind of garbage.

Do your part too!
McCain 2008 – Contribute Now!!!

JayHaw Phrenzie on March 26, 2008 at 1:09 PM

McCain’s arms are kinda weird too, he can’t lift them up properly because they were broken and pulled out of their sockets by his left wing torturers. Ha ha ha, what a dope McCain is. And the left wingers’ medical solution for his blown out knee was to go in and cut all the ligaments for some reason. Ha ha ha, McCain walks funny. Ha ha ha.

Akzed on March 26, 2008 at 1:11 PM

His teeth are the problem? Not that he’s in the tank for our Islamic, head-chopping, dhimmitude-loving enemies?! …
Well then, he certainly could never be President!!

/sarc

WTF is wrong with these people? Really?!

4shoes on March 26, 2008 at 1:11 PM

I think it’s time to start attacking Hillary’s anklesCankles…

JetBoy on March 26, 2008 at 12:59 PM

Fixed it.

Geronimo on March 26, 2008 at 1:13 PM

How old is this Molly person? Sounds like something my 11 y.o. would make fun of. Nah, he’s more mature than that.

MarkABinVA on March 26, 2008 at 1:13 PM

While I am sure it was appreciated, I am sure McCain can take care of his own dentist bills.

Oh wait! That’s not what you meant!

Sorry

ej_pez on March 26, 2008 at 1:15 PM

Be a shame if someone posted a picture of Molly for us to mock. ‘Cause I’m sure she’s a real beauty and not a hunchback, wall-eyed, manatee with bad skin. I’m sure. Really.

Vote Sauron 08 on March 26, 2008 at 1:15 PM

I’d like to mention, George Washington had bad/no teeth, and look at what a great President and leader he was!

4shoes on March 26, 2008 at 1:16 PM

I remember several on the Left mocking Bob Dole’s arm injury and constant holding of a pen. It didn’t enter their narcissistic minds that he sustained that injury in WWII. If he didn’t maintain a tight grip on a pen, his fingers would snap open.

Exurban Jon on March 26, 2008 at 1:19 PM

I thought about the G. Washington angle too, but I fear that the comparison really has no “teeth”.

hehe

ej_pez on March 26, 2008 at 1:21 PM

Also forgot to add, teeth are something you can fix, ignorant maliciousness is not.

4shoes on March 26, 2008 at 1:22 PM

Well done, 4shoes.

wise_man on March 26, 2008 at 1:22 PM

I almost had a heart attack. I had been reading GOPUSA Minnesota Monitor for awhile then saw this thread reference Minnesota Monitor. Whew!

MNDavenotPC on March 26, 2008 at 1:22 PM

Molly-Priesmeyer
Function: Proper Noun
1. A complete lack of class and morals.

amerpundit on March 26, 2008 at 1:23 PM

From their “Ethics” page…what a joke

Be Fair
New Journalist Fellows must maintain a sense of decency and integrity by treating sources, subjects and colleagues as human beings deserving of respect.

Show good taste in the stories they run.

1825 CONNECTICUT AV NW, STE. 625
WASHINGTON, D.C. 20009
CONTACT US 202.387.3669

I called and sent them respectful emails telling them what jerks they were.

JustTruth101 on March 26, 2008 at 1:26 PM

Buzzfeed linked to HotAir’s first story on this from yesterday. This is how they linked it:

Far Right Blog Says McCain’s Bad Teeth Caused By Torture. But If They Were Replaced, Why Not Get White Ones?!
by hotair.com

To those of you who like to pick on opponents’ physical appearances rather than debate political issues–see why it’s an ineffective strategy and makes you look far worse than the person you’re trying to put down? Even after they are informed that McCain’s less-than-perfect teeth are a result of his torture during service to his country, they try to cling to the idea that “Yeah, but he could still make them white” as their “criticism” of him as a candidate. Stupid and petty.

aero on March 26, 2008 at 1:28 PM

hehe

ej_pez on March 26, 2008 at 1:21 PM

Knock on wood, I hope nobody makes that kind of joke again.

James on March 26, 2008 at 1:29 PM

Beautiful. There are even commenters there claiming to be liberals and criticizing her.

And don’t forget: they support the troops, so DON’T QUESTION THEIR PATRIOTISM!

misterpeasea on March 26, 2008 at 1:32 PM

Here is the “journalist’s” myspace page. You’re welcome.

Brad on March 26, 2008 at 1:34 PM

Wait until Molly really wakes up and notices McCain’s funny limp and odd posture. How can we have such a man be president, Molly!!! He’s a cripple, for chrissakes!!

John McCripple! And where did all that white hair come from! He looks like he’s a hundred!

I forget who said it but I’m really starting to truly believe that being liberal IS a mental illness.

wildweasel on March 26, 2008 at 1:39 PM

Brad on March 26, 2008 at 1:34 PM

Thanks dude, almost spewed coffee when the music started!
I couldn’t find a picture, just the lame caricature.

dmann on March 26, 2008 at 1:39 PM

plenty of pics on her pic page.

Maybe this link will work. You do have to have a myspace account to view them though.

Brad on March 26, 2008 at 1:43 PM

This is as horrendous as the writer imagining Charles Krauthammer turning cartwheels. The writer worked for … The Washington Post!

mymanpotsandpans on March 26, 2008 at 1:43 PM

Brad on March 26, 2008 at 1:43 PM

Here’s a direct url.

amerpundit on March 26, 2008 at 1:43 PM

For the record, it was Michael Savage, but I’m not comfortable with that.
Mental illness isn’t a belief system.

mymanpotsandpans on March 26, 2008 at 1:46 PM

I would like to see a poll on how many American’s actually know who George Soros is. I would think the number would be low. He is the new Democrat Party, and the American people should know this.

chief on March 26, 2008 at 1:48 PM

amerpundit on March 26, 2008 at 1:43 PM

Gracias, her age explains alot!

dmann on March 26, 2008 at 1:49 PM

On second thought, I hope they leave the McCain teeth post up as long and as prominently as possible. Who knows how many other people who were “not aware of the fact” of McCain’s torture while in service to his country will now learn about it. And as a bonus, they’ll see what @ssholes those who would make fun of such a man’s dental work are. McCain’s bravery and survival against all odds under horrific circumstances are among his biggest selling points. He’s tough as nails, he’s been a patriot his whole life, and he’s a survivor. He has served his country in ways Hillary and Obama never have, never will, and never could. I’ve never been a big McCain fan, but I’ve always admired his conduct as a POW and his amazing story of faith and survival. That part of his history simply cannot be impugned. In that respect, McCain stands in stark contrast to Obama and Hillary. Go ahead and draw attention to that contrast, Buzzfeed and Minnesota Monitor.

aero on March 26, 2008 at 1:50 PM

Do they really want to go there. McCain’s supposed disfigurement were imposed upon him by others, whereas Obama’s door like ears and Hillarys rather unattractive cankles show they were born disfigured. Some would say they have a genetic fault. Why does not FBI investigate George Soros? I am sure he as broken some law that would allow the government to take his wealth and imprison him.

Zelsdorf Ragshaft on March 26, 2008 at 1:52 PM

Beware a Soros-funded takeover of the American Dental Association this spring, as part of their new diabolical effort to turn the American people against McCain before November (they may even try to prove that, not only wasn’t he born in continental the United States, his teeth prove he’s really British and ineligible for the presidency).

jon1979 on March 26, 2008 at 2:15 PM

JayHaw Phrenzie on March 26, 2008 at 1:09 PM

Great idea. The McCain campaign could do something rather quietly by sending out fundraising e-mail decrying this heartless attack. I say “quietly” by only sending it to Minnesota supporters. I think it would be effective in raising some quick online cash and reinforcing to supporters how desperate the Left wants to beat McCain.

seanhackbarth on March 26, 2008 at 2:18 PM

Here is the “journalist’s” myspace page. You’re welcome.

Brad on March 26, 2008 at 1:34 PM

Is that a joke? I’m serious. If it’s real, she sounds like she has the mentality of a 8 yr old.,, maybe younger.

4shoes on March 26, 2008 at 2:19 PM

WTF is wrong with these people? Really?!

4shoes on March 26, 2008 at 1:11 PM

It truely is a sickness. I know, I used to be one. The main motivation of the left IS hate and they will use anyone to achieve their goals.

Harpoon on March 26, 2008 at 2:29 PM

These people are a joke. They aren’t fit to lick McCains shoes. I think I’ll write something about Obamas big ears and post it.

jewells45 on March 26, 2008 at 2:49 PM

McCain spent 5 and a half years in the Hanoi Hilton being tortured by the Viet Cong.

Didn’t give up his buddies. Didn’t give up his country.

Drug peddling B. Hussein O. gets a mild political attack and the first thing the gutless coward does is throw his gramdma under the bus.

Pathetic leftists.

NoDonkey on March 26, 2008 at 2:57 PM

Harpoon on March 26, 2008 at 2:29 PM

Same here, when I was young and dumb and never read a newspaper. It is totally true that they use hate. I could never support the dhimmicrats again. They’re just a shameful mess.

4shoes on March 26, 2008 at 3:11 PM

This is great, the more they try to demean, the stronger he looks.
They can pander all they want to their lefties, they would never vote for McCain…but most everyone else will say, in the deepest moments, we want a man, a real man, to be president.
Thanks to this blogger, they make our job as conservatives easier.

right2bright on March 26, 2008 at 3:36 PM

As strong as McCain is, he never faced fire in Tuzla…

right2bright on March 26, 2008 at 3:38 PM

I think it’s time to start attacking Hillary’s ankles…

JetBoy on March 26, 2008 at 12:59 PM

Not so fast. Somebody needs to do some research first. Hillary might have gotten those ankles in the terrifying sniper fire incident at Tuzla. Then the egg would be on OUR faces.

Cicero43 on March 26, 2008 at 4:25 PM

Of course we are not allowed to talk about nObama’s ears or the fact he is an Empty Suit.

AngryHank on March 26, 2008 at 4:36 PM

I think it’s time to start attacking Hillary’s ankles…
JetBoy on March 26, 2008 at 12:59 PM

Correction, “Kankles”

AngryHank on March 26, 2008 at 4:37 PM

Considering that George Soros has been giving money to several of McCain’s projects (Like the “Reform Institute)
$oro$-McCain

I kind of doubt that Soros himself ordered the twit to comment on McCain’s teeth. Probably she’s just a dumb little commie that doesn’t know the score.

Isn’t it interesting that which ever bozo wins the Presidency in November, that George Soros will get exactly what he wants.

Since Ed is the one that covered this best just before(?) moving to Hot Air I’m surprised that it wasn’t mentioned up at the top.

LegendHasIt on March 26, 2008 at 4:37 PM

Human trash like Molly Priesmeyer are the vanguard of the liberal media. Her illiteracy is in her genes.

volsense on March 26, 2008 at 4:42 PM

And why is it again that we conservatives are the ones considered shallow and hung up on appearances?

srhoades on March 26, 2008 at 4:52 PM

I think you guys are pushing this story too hard. I’m not familiar with this paper but it seems to me the article was nothing more than a fluffy joke article akin to the one from ABC last week about Obama losing credibility because of his NCAA picks. I wouldn’t expect much research into something like that as again, it’s not a serious article. Their response was appropriate and they should apologize given the circumstances, but to attack them on journalistic integrity over something so tongue-in-cheek? I made a joke once about his one puffy cheek before without knowing it’s because of surgery he had to remove a cancerous growth. I’m sure a lot of people have made similar jokes without knowing or even thinking beyond the apparent.

Typhonsentra on March 26, 2008 at 4:54 PM

John McCain was an American prisoner of war held by the North Vietcong, not a North Vietnamese POW.

I’ll add idiot to your already acknowledged role of ingormaous

DrW on March 26, 2008 at 4:55 PM

It’s good for the economy for Soros to fund these types of folks. He’s making sure some of his billions get into the pockets of American consumers.

/silver lining

funky chicken on March 26, 2008 at 5:01 PM

No, he was a POW held by the North Vietnamese government, held at the Hanoi Hilton, which was a POW camp run by Hanoi. The VC operated in the south; McCain was captured in the north.

There is no such thing as the “North Vietcong.”

Who’s an ignoramus?

Ed Morrissey on March 26, 2008 at 5:07 PM

That last bit (of the update) was vacuous, but for an apology from the left, it wasn’t terrible. I’ve moved beyond any deep, burning need for an unconditional mea culpa from the left. Any hint of rationality, at this point, is good news to me.

Immolate on March 26, 2008 at 5:07 PM

Unbelievable.

mymanpotsandpans on March 26, 2008 at 5:08 PM

DrW on March 26, 2008 at 4:55 PM

HUH?
If you are going to call someone an idiot and an ingormaous ignoramus, try not to look like one yourself.

LegendHasIt on March 26, 2008 at 5:11 PM

Didn’t intend to pile on. I just type slower than Cap’n Ed.

LegendHasIt on March 26, 2008 at 5:12 PM

Ed, my point stands. McCain was an American POW. Held by the North Vietnamese as you rightly point out.

The friendly fire is not appreciated.

DrW on March 26, 2008 at 5:13 PM

It all depends upon which page this stuff was printed. The ugliness or prettiness of a person is stuff that is destined for the society page. The front page is for heavy stuff, and whether a person combed their hair badly or brushed their teeth or has cellulite is not normally front page news.

At least not with respect to the newspapers I read.

DrW said,

I’ll add idiot to your already acknowledged role of ingormaous

You are incorrect. First, the correct spelling is “ignoramus”. Second, wiki John McCain. The wikipedia article indicates McCain was shot down over Hanoi, and was pulled out of Truc Bach Lake (located in the center of Hanoi) by citizens of Hanoi. Hanoi at that time was the capital city of North Vietnam. McCain was then incarcerated in a prison called the “Hanoi Hilton” by its inmates; the location of the prison is implied by its name as well.

A more polite way of saying “ignoramus” is merely to state that the author was incorrect and to offer the basis for correction.

unclesmrgol on March 26, 2008 at 5:25 PM

Well gee, if you want to address geniunely important questions you might try posing some rather than discussing the candiates teeth. They act like clowns them complain about sideshows? Jackasses.

DamnCat on March 26, 2008 at 5:39 PM

Sorry DrW, but there was no such group as the North Vietcong. The vietcong were indigenous to the south. They were insurgents and not a part of the North Vietnamese Army. After all these years you are absolutely the first person I have ever heard make such a misinformed declaration concerning the vietcong.

volsense on March 26, 2008 at 5:40 PM

In Perry’s explanation he evens links to the McCain al Qaeda/Iran “gaffe”. Brilliant!

Adamski on March 26, 2008 at 5:53 PM

With all of this talk about superficial appearances, perhaps it is time to discess pinning back Barack O’s ears. Not literally though. Each day’s unfolding of who the real Barry O is, his questionable connections, and political philosophy should do the trick. Somehow, I don’t think that Soros’s money will be subsidizing that surgery.

onlineanalyst on March 26, 2008 at 6:09 PM

How stupid can they be, don’t they understand what they write??
They are the ones with the “sideshow”, what does teeth have to do with “important questions”?
Sheeesh, they are stoooooopid.

right2bright on March 26, 2008 at 6:52 PM

DamnCat on March 26, 2008 at 5:39 PM

Sorry DC, you had it first…

right2bright on March 26, 2008 at 6:53 PM

I think it’s time to start attacking Hillary’s ankles…

JetBoy on March 26, 2008 at 12:59 PM

…and Obama’s ears.

labrat on March 27, 2008 at 3:13 AM

This is a red herring (something that is used to divert attention from the real issue).

George Soros has been funding John McCain since 2001.

In 2001, McCain founded the Alexandria, Va.-based Reform Institute as a vehicle to receive funding from George Soros’ Open Society Institute and Teresa Heinz Kerry’s Tides Foundation and several other prominent non-profit organizations.
Source

John McCain is John Kerry with an (R) by his name.

Just as John Kerry had Vietnam peers who spoke the truth about him in 2004, John McCain has Vietnam peers who are speaking the truth about him in 2008.

John McCain spent 5 ½ years with communists.

I challenge anyone who is intellectually honest to compare McCain’s long senate record with the Program of the Communist Party USA.

His actions, from amnesty to campaign finance reform to leading the gang of 14 to calling Alito “too conservative” to calling evangelical Christians “agents of intolerance” are all actions consistent with the agenda of the Communist Party USA!

Are you aware that John McCain was at the controls of an aircraft that dropped two 1000 pound bombs into burning jet fuel on the deck of the USS Forrestal? It’s True.

McCain got out of his plane and made it to safety before the first bomb “cooked off” roughly 90 seconds later.

134 men lost their lives, hundreds more were injured, and more than 20 planes were destroyed. It was the worst non-combat-related accident in American Naval history.

Did McCain do anything to try to put out the fire?

Red Pill on March 27, 2008 at 7:01 AM

Did McCain do anything to try to put out the fire?

I see we have a history revisionist…are you related to Hillary?

Newsflash…On July 29, 1967 the USS Forrestal was operating on Yankee Station off the coast of North Vietnam. She had been conducting combat operations for 4 1/2 days (including a strike early that morning). At 10:52am the crew was beginning the second launch cycle of the day, just then a Zuni rocket from an F-4 Phantom was accidentally launched (triggered by stray voltage during the start of the Phantom) across the deck hitting a parked and armed A-4 Skyhawk (the Skyhawk was piloted by Lt. John McCain, now a U.S. Senator from Arizona and lifetime member of the Forrestal Association). The impact caused the belly fuel tank on the Skyhawk to rupture spilling fuel and causing a chain reaction fire of planes parked on the deck. The impact also caused a 1,000 pound bomb to fall off and into the spreading fire. Within a minute and a half the bomb was the first to “cook-off” and detonate killing flightdeck chief Gerald Farrier and the first wave of fire fighters. This initial detonation caused a massive chain reaction of explosions that engulfed half the airwing’s aircraft and blew huge holes in the steel flight deck. Fed by fuel and bombs from other aircraft that were armed and ready for the coming strike, the fire spread quickly. Many pilots and support personnel were trapped and killed. meanwhile, fuel and bombs (from the damaged planes on the flight deck) began spilling into the holes created by the exploding ordinance, spreading the fire further into the ship. The crew heroically fought the fire and disposed of armed bombs and aircraft over the side of the ship. The main fire on the flight deck was brought under control in about an hour, other fires raged throughout the day and into the night. Finally after 13 hours the fires were extinguished, Forrestal’s crew had saved their ship and countless lives.”

John McCain didn’t cause this tragic incident, his plane was on the flight deck and got hit by the stray rocket, he bailed out of his plane as any pilot should, he let the firefighters do their job, and had no control over the fuel tank explosion or the rockets dislodging. He also couldn’t prevent the chain reaction which actually killed most of the sailors, attributed to poor design.

PatriotPete on March 27, 2008 at 11:20 AM

PatriotPete on March 27, 2008 at 11:20 AM

Yes, it started with the Zuni rocket. We don’t know for sure what casued the rocket to fire. One explanation is the electrical one you give above. Another that I’ve seen is that McCain’s “wet start” of his jet “cooked off” the Zuni. It’s also possible that there could have collaboration between McCain and the F-4 pilot.

Crazy? History revisionist?

First compare McCain’s long Senate history with the Program of the Communist Party USA. If his Senate history wasn’t so in line with the published Communist agenda, I wouldn’t even explore this line of thinking. But the fact remains that McCain was smack dab in the middle of the Forrestal incident, whether he caused it, contributed to it by dropping his bombs into the fire, or was simply an innocent bystander. When the first bomb exploded, it wiped out almost all of the trained fire crew. After that, almost everyone who fought the fire was not part of the fire crew, but rather other sailors who followed the call of duty and did what they could to save the ship and fellow sailors. At times, sailors were fighting the fire from one side with foam (the right way to fight it) while other sailors, untrained in firefighting, were fighting the fire from the other side with water (the wrong way to fight it, and actually was counterproductive, as it washed the foam away allowing the fuel to reflash and burn the other group who had been advancing in the foam). Practically everyone on deck was just trying to do something to fight the fire. What was John McCain doing? Why was he the only uninjured man flown off the ship? Could it have been to protect him from other sailors who were angry at his role in the fire?

People I know who are active in the POW-MIA effort say that the two senators in charge of helping them, John Kerry and John McCain, were anything but helpful, and in fact seemed to be working against them on many occasions. They also have reason to believe that the two years that McCain claims to have been in “solitary confinement” he was actually not at the Hanoi Hilton at all, but rather being treated very well by the Soviets.

You can choose not to believe a word I’m saying, but you can’t change McCain’s Senate record. I challenge you, again, to compare his record to the Program of the Communist Party USA.

Red Pill on March 27, 2008 at 12:17 PM

Red Pill on March 27, 2008 at 12:17 PM

What collaboration between McCain and the other pilot are you implying. Based on your other accusations I’m assuming it involves a plot to destroy the USS Forrestal in the name of communism, but I figure I’d ask before assuming.

Branching away from communist pages, here’s the Navy’s historical damage control information for the incident. Its fine to dislike McCain, but you’re making things up to satisfy your own notions…which is patently not okay.

blankminde on March 27, 2008 at 12:53 PM

…are you related to Hillary?
PatriotPete on March 27, 2008 at 11:20 AM

If you want to know what I think of the Clintons, I refer you to this post from September 25, 2006.

If you want to know what I think of Obama, I refer you to this post.

If we are to defend the liberties we love in this country, we must defend the Constitution of the United States from all enemies, foreign and domestic. As things currently stand, we have three socialist/communist candidates running for President. Lord help us if any of those three are the next President of the United States. But I praise Jesus Christ of Nazareth that we don’t have to worry about that…

Many of you may not believe this, but the Holy Spirit told me on February 7th that Mike Huckabee will be the next President of the United States. I first shared that here on HotAir.com as a “prediction” on February 8, 2008 at 12:01 AM. The only part God told me was about Huckabee, the other three parts (Thomspon as VP and Obama/Edwards as the “Democrat” – really “Democratic Socialist” – ticket) were my predictions. I’ve changed my mind about Thompson as VP…he doesn’t support the Human Life Amendment, even though our founders thought it was a self-evident truth (but put it in writing so that even King George could understand) that Life is a God-given unalienable right:

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

So, I have changed my Republican VP pick from Thompson to this man.

Don’t ask me how Huckabee will be our next President when he has withdrawn from the race. God didn’t tell me how it will happen, only that it will happen. However it happens, it will be a miracle, and God will get the glory.

To all of the Demoncratic Socialists who like to think you’ve got this election wrapped up, think again. God has had enough of you mocking Him and His people.

Red Pill on March 27, 2008 at 1:12 PM

…here’s the Navy’s historical damage control information for the incident…

blankminde on March 27, 2008 at 12:53 PM

1) That page says, “The probable causes of ZUNI rocket firing were human error and material failure.”
Human error could have been mistaken human intent.

2) That page says nothing about McCain’s involvement. Given that McCain’s father and grandfather were both Navy Admirals, it’s understandable that McCain would be presumed innocent of any wrongdoing, or that any evidence of wrongdoing could be white washed. The bombs from McCain’s plane weren’t on the wings when they exploded – they had been dropped to the deck, directly into the fire. Accident?

I cannot prove that McCain tried to sink the Forrestal, just as you cannot prove that he didn’t. That wasn’t even the main focus of my post at 7:01 AM. Remove any reference to the Forrestal, and the points I raised in the post are still equally valid and equally concerning…

This [teeth issue] is a red herring (something that is used to divert attention from the real issue).

George Soros has been funding John McCain since 2001.

John McCain is John Kerry with an (R) by his name.

John McCain spent 5 ½ years with communists.

Red Pill on March 27, 2008 at 2:09 PM

Red Pill:
I just had a vision and I was told that Mitt Romney will be the next vp and then president. Funny huh!

Bambi on March 28, 2008 at 12:21 AM

I have a very good friend who is a Vietnam Vet (a Marine) and who spends a lot of his own time and money in the POW-MIA effort. He led me to the following:

John McCain Is ‘No Friend’ Of POW Families

We all know by now that John Kerry is a fraud – a communist sympathizer who lied to the US Senate and who has a tribute to him in North Vietnam. What some of us are just starting to realize is that the same is true about John McCain.

The two Johns worked together to betray POW-MIA families. The truth will out.

Red Pill on March 28, 2008 at 12:39 AM

John McCain Is ‘No Friend’ Of POW Families

The two Johns worked together to betray POW-MIA families. The truth will out.

You really are a red pill.

carbon_footprint on March 29, 2008 at 2:18 AM