Some Obama fabulism as well?

posted at 11:30 am on March 26, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

We have had a field day with the Tuzla Dash and the exposure of Hillary Clinton as a fabulist over the last few days, although I have been writing about this since December. In truth, though, finding a Clinton untruth is something akin to shooting fish in a barrel. At this stage, political investors have, as they say in Wall Street, factored dishonesty into the Clinton stock price.

However, Barack Obama has promised a new kind of politics. Unfortunately, he has the same problems with calculating birth dates as Hillary does. In his speech commemorating the 42nd anniversary of the march on Selma, Alabama, he credited the march with his existence — even though he was almost 4 years old at the time:

What happened in Selma, Alabama and Birmingham also stirred the conscience of the nation. It worried folks in the White House who said, “You know, we’re battling Communism. How are we going to win hearts and minds all across the world? If right here in our own country, John, we’re not observing the ideals set fort in our Constitution, we might be accused of being hypocrites.” So the Kennedy’s decided we’re going to do an air lift. We’re going to go to Africa and start bringing young Africans over to this country and give them scholarships to study so they can learn what a wonderful country America is.

This young man named Barack Obama got one of those tickets and came over to this country. He met this woman whose great great-great-great-grandfather had owned slaves; but she had a good idea there was some craziness going on because they looked at each other and they decided that we know that the world as it has been it might not be possible for us to get together and have a child. There was something stirring across the country because of what happened in Selma, Alabama, because some folks are willing to march across a bridge. So they got together and Barack Obama Jr. was born. So don’t tell me I don’t have a claim on Selma, Alabama. Don’t tell me I’m not coming home to Selma, Alabama.

The first march on Selma took place on March 7, 1965 (there were three of them). At the time, Barack Obama was three and a half years old. Now, Obama also mentions the Birmingham march as part of this speech — but that took place in May 1963. Obama would have been 20 months old when Dr. King led that demonstration.

That’s not the only bit of fabulism here. Obama’s birthdate is August 4, 1961. It doesn’t take a doctor or a math whiz to calculate his conception as sometime in 1960 — before John Kennedy took office. In fact, it might have taken place on Election Day, when Kennedy won the presidency. That would tend to indicate that Mom and Dad met sometime before the African airlift that Obama credits for his birth.

So what does that mean? It could mean that his father and mother found hope in America even before the election of John Kennedy. It might mean that hope and change had already started because a broad class of Americans had already found racism intolerable and had started working to end it. It certainly doesn’t mean that Obama owes his existence to the marches on Selma and Birmingham, and his appropriation of those marches reeks of something other than hope, change, or “new politics”.

Perhaps the Democrats need to add positions to the staff of presidential candidates, just to handle the difficult task of calculating birth dates and world events. Between Obama’s Selma conception and Hillary’s Mount Everest naming, the Democrats look hopelessly inept at history on both a global and personal scale. (h/t: HA reader Stoo)

Update: Jim Geraghty reminds me that he caught this a year ago…

Update II: Baldilocks notes in the comments:

Kennedy Airlift issue resolved here and here. The Kennedy Foundation provided the money to bring Obama’s father and my father and dozens of other Kenyans to American to receive higher education. This happened before JFK became president.

Noted, as well as Baldilock’s assessment that liars like to mix small amounts of truth in with their BS in order to fool the rest of us.  Also, if you read the reference to the White House and “John” in his speech, he made it sound as if it happened under the John Kennedy White House.

Comments

Some Obama fabulism as well?

Just words?

geckomon on March 26, 2008 at 11:38 AM

Hey he is the Obamessiah!
Don’t question him!!

ArmyAunt on March 26, 2008 at 11:39 AM

cant wait until sept/oct
The “just words” ad will be FABULOUSSSSSS

ArmyAunt on March 26, 2008 at 11:40 AM

Is there some explorer he might have been named after or whose exploits might have perhaps inspired his parents to have a child that we haven’t heard of yet? I’m sure he’s got an explanation.

NeoconNews.com on March 26, 2008 at 11:42 AM

So it was the hope and change of the Eisenhower administration which brought his parents together. Perhaps someone should get Barry an “I Like Ike” button.

Vote Sauron 08 on March 26, 2008 at 11:46 AM

He’s a typical black person.

/can ya say that?!

Akzed on March 26, 2008 at 11:52 AM

Akzed on March 26, 2008 at 11:52 AM

Only if you are Obama.

geckomon on March 26, 2008 at 11:56 AM

Oh c’mon….Can’t you BO haters see the real truth behind what he said? Is it really important that he use facts ALL the time? He’s a DEMOCRAT for crying out loud. How dare anyone apply any standards to him.

Jeff_Boeing on March 26, 2008 at 12:01 PM

Tuzla Dash

Sounds like a Conan villain or maybe a Jedi.

Dash on March 26, 2008 at 12:01 PM

And the media are short-selling Clinton, too.

Whereas there is still a lot of fantasy in the Obama stock.

Niko on March 26, 2008 at 12:03 PM

OMG!!!1! Does this mean Obama, Jr. is the result something stirring across the country during the Eisenhower Administration?

Dusty on March 26, 2008 at 12:04 PM

Or it could just mean that his parents were horny one day.

D2Boston on March 26, 2008 at 12:04 PM

I volunteer to be secretary of the Department of Falsehoods and Obfuscation. Both Hill and B. Hussein need one.

redshirt on March 26, 2008 at 12:07 PM

Bad Barry.

JiangxiDad on March 26, 2008 at 12:11 PM

They don’t call him the Messiah for nothin’. His mother was imaculately conceived while his earthly father was still in Africa. You got a problem with that? racist.

tommylotto on March 26, 2008 at 12:14 PM

My birthday is in December of ’71. I remember, because that was the day my Grandfather and Grandmother came over from Ireland on the Mayflower. My father, while serving under Grant in the Spanish-American War, met my mother in Mexico while fighting Rommel in the Desert, and then conceived me, born from the loins of a great true American and a true American soldier.

When I was growing up, I remember where I was when Kennedy was shot, and I grieved with a nation. In graduate school, I cried when the Challenger blew up. I was in the middle of my nighttime jog in Central Park when the planes hit in 9/11, and helped rescue survivors from the Pentagon.

This, my fellow Americans, is the history of my family, and how it shaped me to help lead this nation.

Nethicus on March 26, 2008 at 12:15 PM

How dare anyone apply any standards to him.

Jeff_Boeing on March 26, 2008 at 12:01 PM

Indeed. How dare we judge Democrats by our conservative narrow-minded understanding of the time-space continuum. After all, if Nixon could order John Kerry and other troops into Cambodia in 12/1968, a month before taking office, then Obama being created by an event that took place after he was born should likewise be of no concern to us.

(all said in sarcasm, of course)

Bigfoot on March 26, 2008 at 12:17 PM

Obama and Hillary both want to be targets, or at least credited as such. The pre-mythology of Obama being shot at a gas station because of his skin color by his nutty wife, or getting shot as President as told by that Irish, Nobel winning hag that wanted to kill our President are right in the zone with Hillary wanting to have been shot at by a sniper.

It’s all very dysfunctional and sick stuff.

Hening on March 26, 2008 at 12:23 PM

What she DIDN’T say was that the shooter would probably be black also.

ArmyAunt on March 26, 2008 at 12:27 PM

No one has touched this yet, but all signs point towards: Obama’s Mommy Was a Commie.

Interracial marriage was very unusual in 1959, and Barack’s parents met in a RUSSIAN class at UH Manoa. He’s a red-diaper commie, literally.

wordwarp on March 26, 2008 at 12:32 PM

Stop trying to distract us from his Grandmother’s hateful racism. Were trying to have a dialog here.

ronsfi on March 26, 2008 at 12:33 PM

Obama is temporally non-linear.

Immolate on March 26, 2008 at 12:36 PM

Liberals have a thing they call “The Larger Truth.” So even if something isn’t true in the narrow sense of being factual, it is part of a larger truth in the sense of them wanting it to be true. It is quite common in children as well, where we call it “make believe”.

rbj on March 26, 2008 at 12:37 PM

Or it could just mean that his parents were horny one day.

D2Boston on March 26, 2008 at 12:04 PM

Judging by the track record of Obama’s daddy, I’d say you’re probably right.

AZCoyote on March 26, 2008 at 12:38 PM

Stop trying to fact check these Dems. The facts don’t matter, its the sentiment of the comment that matters. If BHO was born after the marches, it would have been the inspiration of his parents uniting. If there was sniper fire in Bosnia, Hillary would have been running with her hands over her head on the tarmac. You guys are just too picky, not seeing the forest because one tree is dead.

(Sarcasm on overdrive)

AverageJoe on March 26, 2008 at 12:43 PM

He uses the metric calendar system. You wouldn’t understand, you typical white person.

innominatus on March 26, 2008 at 12:50 PM

Obama: the audacity of hope dope.

profitsbeard on March 26, 2008 at 12:52 PM

wordwarp on March 26, 2008 at 12:32 PM

Hmm…I took 3 years of Russian in high school, and one more year in college. It seemed like a good idea at the time, until the USSR disintigrated and all of a sudden Arabic was the new strategic language du jour.

Whatever their reasons for studying a language, the study of it in and of itself is not indicative of a Communist bent.

James on March 26, 2008 at 12:57 PM

Fabulism? You just aren’t able to understand the black community.

ronsfi on March 26, 2008 at 1:03 PM

I don’t know, but I’ve been told, he’s been a Yankee’s fan, all his life…And, he tried to join the Marines, but was turned down due to being overweight and having poor eyesight.

franksalterego on March 26, 2008 at 1:03 PM

Racism is a bad, bad thing. It puts all people in the same bucket. But, Acknowledging that some individual people are really stupid is reality. The problem is that the PC world is so snow blind that if someone listens to a black nut job and concludes he or she is really stupid, then everyone screams racism.

It’s too bad if you are really stupid. But, it should be OK to acknowledge reality without being attacked.

saiga on March 26, 2008 at 1:07 PM

Look at that picture, he looks like a statue of his distant cousin Saddam.

Tony737 on March 26, 2008 at 1:11 PM

baldilocks on March 26, 2008 at 1:20 PM

Oh yeah, I receive instruction in the Russian language also, courtesy of this institute.

Remember, folks, pick out the relevant issues (like TUCC), hammer them hard and leave the irrelevant ones by the wayside.

baldilocks on March 26, 2008 at 1:26 PM

Baldilocks, thanks for the clarification. I do think it’s disturbing that the Prophet Obama has to relate his very conception to world events, as if he’s a manifestation of some divine plan. Next we’ll hear there was some sort of astronomical anomaly on the day of his birth, and three unknown guys visited the hospital with gifts.

doppelganglander on March 26, 2008 at 1:30 PM

wordwarp on March 26, 2008 at 12:32 PM

That crossed my mind too. When hussein was born, Jomo Kenyatta was president of Kenya. He was the former head of the Mau Mau and a former Communist (who studied at the Institute of the Communist International in Moscow in 1932). When he became president his VP was an admitted and active Communist. So Communism was very strong in Kenya at the time of Hussein’s birth, and it may have been that Hussein Sr. was a party member studying Russian abroad when he met Jr’s. mom. But I doubt it. He could have studied in Moscow like Kenyatta and Patrice Lamumba did for free, and learned Russian from Russians.

He apparently didn’t have anything to do with the party when he abandoned his family and returned to Kenya, but he did take several more wives (he was married when he married Hussein’s mom) and having several more children with them before dying drunk behind the wheel.

So, even Hellary wouldn’t bash Hussein for his father’s politics being only slightly to the left of her’s, but she should ask him to condemn polygamy.

Akzed on March 26, 2008 at 1:42 PM

I find your lack of faith disturbing …

jcarl4283 on March 26, 2008 at 1:44 PM

doppelganglander on March 26, 2008 at 1:30 PM

You’re welcome.

Obama and those like him employ an old tactic: mixing in truth with BS.

baldilocks on March 26, 2008 at 1:46 PM

When hussein was born [1961], Jomo Kenyatta was president of Kenya.

Kenyatta did not become PM until 1963. The position of PM was abolished by JK and he became president in 1964.

baldilocks on March 26, 2008 at 1:50 PM

mainly, I just wanted to say, “Obama’s Mommy was a Commie.”

Both because it sounds so neat, and it because it was probably true.

Very few gals from Kansas that were radicals headed to Hawaii, studied Russian, and fathered children of black Marxists from Kenya. Just wasn’t done….

wordwarp on March 26, 2008 at 2:00 PM

(that weren’t radicals).

wordwarp on March 26, 2008 at 2:01 PM

I’m 49 years old, but my birth was a direct result of Led Zeppelin’s first album going gold. I may not know math or genetics, but I know what I like.

Jaibones on March 26, 2008 at 2:15 PM

Obama might as well say Roger Maris’ 61 home runs in 1961 was responsible for his existence (due to the injustice of the asterisk over the expanded 162-game schedule), since it also happened after he was born.

jon1979 on March 26, 2008 at 2:18 PM

1+1=2, 2+2=4, 3+3=7 Oh wait. Can I get a do over?

Johan Klaus on March 26, 2008 at 3:37 PM

Everyone should read “Animal Farm”.

Johan Klaus on March 26, 2008 at 3:43 PM

Everyone should read “Animal Farm”.

Johan Klaus on March 26, 2008 at 3:43 PM

Indeed.

baldilocks on March 26, 2008 at 3:50 PM

What do you want 2+2 to be?

flytier on March 26, 2008 at 3:57 PM

I was named for President Ronald Reagan because my parents loved and respected him and wanted me to be named after a U.S. President.

Ok ok, so I was born while the man was still a democrat and hadn’t even run for governor yet, so? And yes my name isn’t Ronald, Ron or Ronnie. Who cares?

It’s the important tie-in to history that I’m trying to achieve and you haters are just maligning me and misrepresenting my words.

Jerks.

Bishop on March 26, 2008 at 4:27 PM

Somethin Stirrin… Jungle Fever. Somethin Burnin… Jungle Fever. Someone Lyin… Jungle Fever. Let’s All March Now… Jungle Fever.

2Tru2Tru on March 26, 2008 at 7:09 PM